[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 51 KB, 400x534, avasdemon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7418525 No.7418525[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>tutorials
>recommended products
>at con touch-up tips
>how to seal makeup
>cosplays w/ nice applications

let's go

>> No.7419343
File: 2.26 MB, 700x1575, paxattheendoftheday.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1/3?

PAX info dump? PAX info dump.

>WHAT THE FUCK IS PAX
PAX is a mixture of acrylic paint and Pros Aide Adhesive that's used for long-lasting skin color changes

> WHY SHOULD I GIVE A FUCK
When properly mixed and applied, PAX has near unparalleled longevity compared to other types of makeup.

In other words, when you touch something, you won't leave makeup on it. However, when it does come off, it tends to peel and crack instead. (pic related: PAX applied to hands after the end of a full day of touching shit and driving)

> What should I use it on?
Use PAX on areas that you expect to be in contact with other surfaces quite often. I like using it around my neckline in particular so my makeup doesn't rub off on my collar.

> Where should I not apply it?
PAX is non-ideal for areas like the face because it has less elasticity than creme or cake makeups, but you can still use it there. However,

DO NOT APPLY IT ON YOUR EYELIDS.

Use a creme or cake for that shit, seriously. Also, don't apply it to your hairline, and shave your arms/chest/back before applying if yours those are particularly hairy.

> Which Pros-Aide should I use?
There are currently three kinds of Pros Aide on the market.

The original, marketed just as Pros-Aide is pure white and pretty sticky. Bonus: you can use it for applying prosthetics.

No-Tack Pros-Aide was formulated specifically for mixing PAX. As the name implies, it's less sticky than the original, which can make application and make you less prone to sticking in your joints as your powder wears down. Downside: can't use it for prosthetic application, and it's got a slightly yellowish tinge to it which may affect the hue of lighter colors.

Pros-Aide II is my favorite to use for mixing PAX for a number of reasons. It's about identical to the original in terms of appearance and tack, but it's formulated for more sensitive skin and the easiest to remove of the three.

>> No.7419351

>>7419343
2/3?

> How do I mix it?
A 1:1 ratio of Pros-Aide to paint is usually recommended. Don't use craft store shit for this, trust me; it's far less pigmented. You may think "oh, i can just apply more layers" but the thickness of those layers adds up fast. Go for something good like Liquitex, you will not regret it.

> Can I mix translucent PAX?
Yes and no. Use less paint in your mixture than if you were to mix opaque PAX, maybe 1:2 or 1:4 instead of 1:1. I've tried it, it's doable, but you'll get something tackier than a 1:1 ratio, and it'll be harder to apply evenly.

>> No.7419367
File: 190 KB, 816x896, 1393360447999.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Good idea for a thread OP. Obligatory Gropey guide.

>> No.7419373
File: 77 KB, 448x632, CantWalkWillShimmy24.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7419367
Also forever bookmarked this anecdote+guide ---> http://the-sushi-monster.deviantart.com/journal/Story-of-Putting-on-Kneesock-and-Limo-Prank-218288915

>> No.7419377

>>7419351
2/4
Four part post because Application gets it's own separate post.

Preface: If you're applying this on your arms, torso, legs, or anywhere you'll have to bend a joint to reach all angles of, have a buddy help you.

>PAX APPLICATION

1. If you've got anything hairier than peach fuzz where you're applying it, shave it off. A recap from earlier: don't apply this on your hairline, eyebrows, eyelids, ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR EYES, or inside your ears. You CAN apply it in that last bit, but it's gonna be a bitch to remove jsyk. Once again, I recommend using a matching creme or cake makeup for those areas instead.

2. I advise you don't moisturize. You can, but your PAX might come off easier. Don't use a primer, either, for that matter; just make sure your skin is clean.

3. Put some PAX on a makeup sponge and start applying it with a dabbing motion. Don't try to get an opaque layer on your first go; just do thin, even coats. Wait for it to set slightly between coats, but don't let it dry completely or powder it.

3. When you think you've got even coverage, get a powder puff and some translucent setting powder and powder the shit out of it. Use a large cheap makeup brush to spread the powder around. Congrats! Your PAX application is done.

>> No.7419378

Any suggestions for making natural skin look more ashen?

L4D witch / bubblehead nurse style, I'm cosplaying them both, and I'm already really pale, but my skin has some healthy color to it which needs to go away.,

>> No.7419405

>>7419377
WHOOPS that got labeled as 2/4 instead of 3/4. Do not let me write these things while ill.

4/4

> REMOVAL

It's probably gonna take you as long as application. This is where using Pros Aide II can save your hide, quite literally. Take a long hot shower, apply some friction (with a loofa or scrubby gloves), and enjoy your freshly exposed layer of skin.

If you used no-tack or original, applying a thin layer of remover, LETTING THE REMOVER DRY, and then attempting removal will be the easiest method. The remover doesn't... remove it so much as it breaks down the adhesive and aids the removal process.

Alternately, you can take an even longer hot soak and expect to do even more scrubbing. W/E.

I should also note that due to the no-rub-off nature of PAX, technically you can sleep and even swim in this stuff.

>> No.7419437

Not PAX anon but have been using it for a year+ for my hamstake shit:

I use black foam brushes and babypowder to set it. Since PAX is on the body only it works just as well and I don't have to waste expensive setting powder. Babypowder might not work as well on super saturated colors, though.

If using PAX for arms/shoulders/neck I find it easiest to bring it up to the underside of my jaw. It's hard to blend where the PAX ends and where water base or ben nye starts, so hiding the seam is helpful.

Leave holes where your armpits are, you'll be much happier.

>>7419377

Second to not moisturize UNLESS you're looking to take all your paint off at the end of the day -- in that case apply cheap lotion (usually whatever the hotel provides works great) ~20 min before applying PAX. Makes it much easier to take off after 6-8 hours but at the same time means it doesn't hold up as well against friction.

>> No.7419631

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/asakusa1393/item/c01005/
This was recommended to me in a shironuri thread a while back. Does anyone have experience as to how long it will last? Also, how much should I buy for two people doing face and neck for a day at a hot summer con?