[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 459 KB, 696x1200, 1394079922947.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7412548 No.7412548 [Reply] [Original]

Not too long from Fanime, general Fanime thread?
Personally I'm hoping its not bad, I heard last year was pretty ridiculous.

>> No.7412572

I don't know what I want to fucking cosplay, my folder of refs is huge, but I just can't decide on anything.

Still excited for the con! Happy to be at the Fairmont once again~

>> No.7412624

Staying at a friends place.
Good: cheap
Bad: don't get to hang out all night

>> No.7412655

Anyone planning on cosplaying from TWGOK? I need to commission a maijima patch and re-do my jacket so badly.

Also, CGL meetup when

>> No.7412868

Hotel booking was a goddamn nightmare, I hope this isn't foreshadowing any further catastrophes. I still cringe when I think about the lines the year the power went out.

>> No.7412936

>>7412572
What are some of your ideas?

>> No.7413030

Fanime Music Video contest information before Artist Alley or panels...yyyyyy

>> No.7413035

First year hitting up Fanime
(Flying in from FL)
Not sure what to expect, but I have a few plans for what to wear at least...
Did not expect the hotel booking process to be such a nightmare

>> No.7413641

It's very unlikely we're going this year, unless they completely blow it out of the water with guests. I just can't risk a 6.5 hour registration wait again.

We would have been glad to give them another chance if they would have showed that they were willing to do something about it so that it won't happen again this year, but instead we got--straight from the horse's mouth (the official registration FAQ):

Q: What are the wait times like?
A: Expect long lines on all of Thursday- bring snacks and drinks if you plan on coming on Thursday.
Friday may have very long lines as well.
Saturday from morning to late afternoon will be busy. The evening time tends to be fairly quiet.
Sunday morning until the afternoon will be busy but tends to get quiet after noon.
Monday is usually very quiet.

>> No.7413654

When is it again?

>> No.7413708

>Constantly drops the ball with guests
>Super late with reg
>Doesn't fix long badge pickup times
>Constantly grows each year to the point of hotels selling out in a hour

Why the hell does this happen?

>> No.7413729

>>7413708
because fanime a shit

why don't they have a discounted rate for group registration? if it was $5 off they would get more people to register and the lines would probably improve.

>> No.7414122

Some peeps are organizing a giant group registration so there only needs to be one person waiting in line to pick up all the badges.

>> No.7415183

If you can, try to set your reg pick up at clockwork alchemy. There will be almost no line, they open at 5 on Thursday, and it's a short shuttle/light rail ride away from the con.

>> No.7415208

How's the parking for someone who lives close to Fanime?

>> No.7415216

Does anyone know when their AA starts registration? Or has it already passed?

>> No.7415352

>>7415183

The problem with this is that if enough people do it the line will get as bad as Fanime,

Last year: 8 staff members at fanime and 7 hour line, 2 at clockwork and no line.

If 1/4 of the line from fanime went over to clockwork, then both lines would have been about 5 hours. Still not acceptable.

>> No.7415354

>>7413708
Because in San Jose people settle for mediocrity.

>> No.7415422
File: 220 KB, 650x488, 1394222228166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7413641
According to mod posts on the forums (which I'm surprised are still active at all considering there's no link to it on the main website OOPS I MEAN WHAT WEBSITE) they have hired a professional company to handle lines and registration this year and have promised "new tech" will be in place to mitigate the problems from 2013.... but this IS Fanime staff we're talking about so take that as you will.

And if that's true then you can guess how much that ate from everything else's budget, including for Guests of Honor. I don't have high hopes for this year.

>> No.7415678

This is kind of my third-strike-you're-out year. Year before last things started going downhill, lamer masq pre-show, super riddick lines. Last year was an utter disaster, but at least they had a reasonable excuse. So if this year, with the new con center, they still can't get their shit together I'm just going to start ghosting. I don't care much about guests (which is not Fanime's strong point anyway) the Stage Zero stuff is usually fun, anime rooms weren't checking badges last year and I really just like seeing the cosplay (which is definitely their strong point)

>> No.7417747

Hopefully this isn't to unrelated, wasn't able to book a hotel(was my first year trying didn't know what to expect hah) but I'm wondering if someone has a room and wouldn't mind sharing with 2 others? Will pay our share for it upfront on the first day. We are not creepy neck beards lol, we can exchange some emails/skype/facebook or whatever for a while if you'd like. We are 19f and 20m.

>> No.7417781

>>7417747
FYI you can get on the waitlist for hotels....you have to call the registration phone # to do it though,

>> No.7417837

>>7415678
>I'm just going to start ghosting.
Way to "stick it" to fanime. You're basically saying fanime is worth going to and maybe even getting a room but not getting a badge. Ghosting never makes a con "wake up"

>> No.7417844

>>7417837
They ain't getting my money. The wallet is the only sticking point that matters.

>> No.7417847

>>7412624
i did this last year
it really blows

>> No.7417884

>>7417844
Con staff is gonna treat it like publishers treat piracy.

>Staff: We made an event that people want to attend to and enjoy but they're just cheapasses and not wanting to get a badge. Worst case scenario they'd either crank up badge security

>> No.7417912

>>7417884
I'm not trying to go to any of their panels s what exactly is the problem? They offer stuff like Stage Zero for people to enjoy regardless if they get a badge. They can't stop people from chilling out in the front of the con center with all the cosplayers. And most staffers would go suicidal if they had to check the badge of every goddamn person who comes through the doors or through the hotels into the on center. And hey, one less person you people have to stand in line with. Rejoice.

>> No.7420506

bump....

now taking bets on when the website will actually go up or they actually announce some relevant shit like AA or guests.

>> No.7420569

>>7415208
There are several parking garages and parking lots around in downtown, usually from 8 to 15 bucks for the whole day, some really no further than some of the hotels. If you're willing to go for the walk, I THINK the university nearby down a few blocks or so usually has free parking for that one weekend (because coincidentally it's also graduation weekend), but don't quote/trust me on that because my memory is fuzzy and I'm not sure how many days that free parking is. Still, the university garages is 8 bucks for the whole day I think.
All in all, parking really isn't that terrible IMO, it's not SF even with a large crowd coming in lol

>>7415216
I don't think it has, the twitter hasn't said anything about AA yet. You'll want to watch the twitter/site like a hawk because it'll go out fast.

>> No.7420595

>>7415216
also watch the facebook page...they seem to be announcing everything there first this year, then putting it up on the main site.

>> No.7421206

>>7420506
my bet: website will be up on the month before fanime. guests announced 2 weeks before con.

>> No.7422121

>>7421206
unless they pull some amazing guests out of their ass, i'm betting that this will be my last year going. would rather save for dragoncon.

>> No.7422323

>>7422121
if fanime ends up getting not so hot guests, i would not understand. it does not make sense to me since the con has been running for 20 years and should have some good pickings for guests by this point if only because it has been running for so long

>> No.7422591
File: 52 KB, 129x111, HK8Mc.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just bought my plane tickets for it last night. It will be my first Fanime and I'm not sure what to expect.

>> No.7422603

>>7422591
cosplay.
nice locations to take photos of cosplay in.
sub-par/underwhelming guests
no more fountains :(
drunken shenanigans throughout the night because the convention center is open 24/7

and the occasional fire team being called in for people getting stuck in an elevator. happened right around the corner from me last year.

>> No.7422688

>>7422591
basically what >>7422603 said.
>AA is probably one of the nicest ones i've been to also.
>dealer's room was meh last year.
>stage zero usually has some fun stuff happening if you're just wandering through the con center
>karaoke room has the biggest list of songs i've ever seen

is there going to be a cgl meetup again this year? last year's was pretty fun.