[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 160 KB, 994x822, Facebook-Page-2-Facebook-page.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7376904 No.7376904[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Do you like keeping up with cosplayers that you're friends with or admire on facebook, or do you think it's annoying when they have cosplay-only profiles?
Do you prefer Pages or profiles when it comes to cosplayers?

>> No.7376915

I follow a couple who do tutorials or post great photos. I prefer a dedicated page because I'm usually only interested in their cosplay/Lolita activities. I know some people think it's vain to make a cosplay or Lolita page but I think it's actually courteous. I like not having to read about their personal stuff like their brother's birthday party or their chinchilla's vet visit.

>> No.7376919

I have a few FB friends who update about their cosplays every day. The only time it's annoying is when all they do is talk about the cosplays they want to do and never actually make anything decent (or in some cases anything at all).

As for the other part, I think cosplay-only FB pages are the stupidest thing to come out of this hobby, which is really saying something given the shit that pops up on cgl sometimes.

>> No.7376991

I like pages more. I honestly don't care about the personal lives of most cosplayers and just want to look at their costumes. If I ever start being more socially active online with cosplay, I'd also not want all of the random people I meet at cons to be privy to my personal info online, so I'd make a cosplay page to separate cosplay-friends and acquaintances from people I want involved in my real life.

>> No.7378328
File: 8 KB, 379x247, 1392715594743.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a lot of friends who made cosplay pages and they're not even that popular cosplayers so I don't really get it, but nonetheless I enjoy watching their stuff popping up on my newsfeed and their pages makes it easier to navigate about and look at the different stuff they made.

I get invited to like a lot of pages though and sometimes I get from people I barely talk to, so I save their pages and ocassionally look at their cosplays, a lot of them are really bad though.
There was a girl I'm friends with on FB but never really talked to who went on this spamming spree in probably 5-6 groups where she promoted her cosplay page and asked for likes.
All her cosplays pretty much sucks though.

I think cosplay pages are fine as long as you don't beg for likes cause it's just as pathetic as tumblr users begging for followers.

>> No.7378339

I like following pages because most of the time I'm just interested in someone's cosplay work (and wouldn't want them to see my info, so it's easier to like a page than have different settings for people).

I find it stupid when someone makes a cosplay page just to "separate their cosplay and normal life" when all they do is post crappy hall shots or amateur "shoots" of mid-tier cosplays. To those people I feel like pointing out that they're not good enough for anyone to care about their cosplay life, and they should just not post about it at all (because they have about 50 likes and no one ever comments on their cosplay page so even their con friends clearly don't care). I've seen several people make pages under that excuse, AND then just cross-posting across the page and their personal profile (ie. sharing the page's post) because no one comments on the cosplay page. Pointless.

I also don't follow "famous" or skilled cosplayers who post random crap. I only care about the photos/WIPs.

>> No.7378345

I have a cosplay page, and I try to update about once a week or less. I'll sometimes just post to my website and add a link, because it's a lot less obtrusive for people who don't want to see a million photos in their feed of my random-ass progress shots. I will crosspost stuff to my main account as well if I'm super proud of it though. Haven't noticed people getting annoyed by it so I think I'll stick with the general tendency.

>> No.7378975

I made a cosplay page just as a place to post progress, and I'll share those posts on my main profile to show people rather than keep it on that page. I have mostly cosplay/con friends on my normal facebook and my page doesn't get many views, which doesn't bother me. I just like having a place for it, like an online/facebook portfolio of some sort.

>> No.7379018

>>7378339
It's not necessarily that other cosplayers will care about their personal information, but that some people in other aspects of their lives (most likely employers, if they do a check) might be negatively impacted by having cosplay shit strewn about the place. I know I keep my FB pretty clean, but I party a lot at cons and don't really want pictures of me dressed up in a ridiculous costume with booze tagged where coworkers can see them and don't care to fuck around with privacy settings.

>> No.7379023

It's easier to make and maintain a page then to be arsed with the main profile privacy settings.

>> No.7381061

Would it be better to use a secondary account like Tumblr and share images from them onto Facebook? I just really would rather not have to make another facebook for cosplay.

>> No.7381074

>>7381061
Whatever works best for you, anon.

>> No.7381112

I made a separate profile for lolita on facebook.
It felt pretentious as fuck, I don't see my different clothes as a separate 'life' or anything, but I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed by the comments from people in my academic field.
Since I did it a handful of lolitas and 'living dolls' fashion-only-accounts have added me from other countries and so I don't feel so weird for having one.

>> No.7381130

I made one recently so I can make cosplay friends separate as I'm going to more cons recently.

The real reason I made one is because my mum likes to show people my cosplay and lolita stuff but I don't want her to deal with my tumblr so having the facebook page makes this easier.

>> No.7381136

>>7381112
I'm more or less against facebook and putting your private life on the internet, so I made a account with a fake name just to keep it up with my comm and with the international one. College friends sometimes add me on it, but I mostly decline except if we are close. I post my outfits and stuffs on it, and sometimes more privates things but they are not worth any informational value. No adress, no full name, no job nor my parent's job are discussed here.

>> No.7381141

I like keeping up with several cosplayers on their pages. One group that I watch posts their progress/finished pics along with tutorials/helpful things they found and notifications about sales on cosplay-relevant things like fabric, makeup, wigs, contacts, etc. I find their page to be the most helpful. You feel like more of a fellow cosplayer than a "fan", you know? Other cosplayers that I follow solely post their progress/finished pics and that's fine too - they post amazing armors etc and it's inspiring to see their work.

I have one friend who has a profile that she specifically uses to allow people to tag her in con pics etc. and will friend people she met at cons who aren't "friends". She has a government job so I can see why she wouldn't want convention related things and people posting costumey stuff that's linked to her being associated with her actual name. There certainly are many worse things to do besides make costumes and wear them at an event, but you know how people get about anything that's not mundane,

>> No.7381159

I prefer cosplay pages, as I really just want to see progress and anything that could help me learn.

>> No.7381177

I really enjoy some cosplay pages because of the WIP shots people post up. Especially if tutorials are attached. It's also made it a lot easier to reach out to some cosplayers to pick their brains on some of the techniques they used. I've found a lot of cosplayers are willing to share their secrets and it makes it easier to meet people as well, especially cosplayers that I admire!