[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 64 KB, 960x639, 1392238738644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7368409 No.7368409 [Reply] [Original]

Is concept art really worth cosplaying?

>> No.7368425

Is cosplay really worth doing?

>same question

>> No.7368535

>>7368409
why does it matter?

>> No.7368563
File: 371 KB, 1060x1512, 1392245301739.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can kind of get why someone would cosplay concept art if they like the character but not the official design, but it's like cosplaying an OC: don't expect people to immediately get it, and don't get mad when they say you're a shitty [character].

Personally I do think it's kind of stupid, but that's just me.

>> No.7368726

>>7368409
I think it depends on the character. One of my dream cosplays is Rapunzel's green dress from the concept art for Tangled. If it's a design (and character) someone really liked, I personally don't see a problem with it.
Though if said person got pissy because no one recognises the costume, that's kind of ridiculous

>> No.7368783

>>7368563
If I cosplay a character and go as far as cosplayinh the concept art desing is because I really like the character and I don't care if other pople don't get it. People that like the character as much as me will get it.

>> No.7368789

>>7368783
I know, and that's great for you.
Some people might get annoyed if they cosplay, for example one of those Miku designs I posted, and the only people who notice them say, "You're not a really good Miku. You got her outfit completely wrong."

>> No.7369763
File: 162 KB, 550x818, lms-nikolai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That depends upon what your goals are.
Are you cosplaying for fun, or do you aspire to be a pro?

I think as a wannabe pro you need to do popular stuff, to increase your fanbase..

But if you're good enough you can cosplay anything. Maybe prepare to educate people on what it is though. Bring a handout if possible etc.

Related: Eventually I'd like to do this guy..

>> No.7369780

Interesting word choice with "worth". Implies you an expectation of personal return on the effort you put into cosplay, most probably in the form of attention/recognition.

I'm with >>7368425 and >>7369763 really. This is one of those completely subjective issues that'll vary from individual to individual.

For me personally, cosplay is about celebrating fandom in a way that I can openly share with others at cons. Sometimes I'll love a series but not quite want to make any of the canon designs, yet artbooks are full of things I find gorgeous or more fulfilling in terms of techniques I'd choose. Then I'll go with the concept art, because it's honouring the creative work that went into producing the final result of show/game/comic/etc just as much a reproducing the final result itself.

>> No.7370269

If you love the character and the concept, it is always worth it - in case you are intrinsically motivated. If your motivation for cosplay is more of a competitive kind or if it means a lot to you to be recognized OR you are the shithat who will get angry at people that do not recognize you are character XY in the concept art form omg dat person is SO not a FAN.... then don't.