[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 904 KB, 1280x1920, 1389409029388.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7292858 No.7292858[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Photo Etiquette at Cons.

Is it considered weird to print out some of your favorite cosplays and stick them in an album?

When asking to take a picture of someone at a con and they agree, does this mean you have their permission to post it on whatever platforms? (ie FB or tumblr?)

Or is it just better etiquette to leave them in a digital folder?

>> No.7292876

if we're talking straight etiquette (as opposed to legality) i'm pretty sure it works like this: you ask for a photo, the cosplayer agrees, you take the photo, go home and post it online, and then if someone who recognizes the cosplayer or the cosplayer themselves contacts you saying "it's this person/me" you give them credit in the description/caption of the photo

>> No.7293132

>>7292858
On a slightly related note, how do cosplayers feel about candid photos? I'm interested in taking photos at an upcoming convention but I want to take more than hallway shots. I want to take pictures of people enjoying the convention. I just wasn't sure if people would be bothered by this.

>> No.7293156

>>7292858

Most cosplayers assume you will be posting it online anyway. As long as you aren't selling prints of private photoshoots then you should be in the clear.

As for printing them out and sticking them in an album, well, that's weird on a personal level, like, I think you should reserve the paper albums for family photos, photos of friends, things that actually mean something special to you rather than "she looks a lot like my favorite anime". But, there's nothing stopping you from doing it, you'll just look odd.

Again, as long as you aren't selling those albums, most cosplayers won't kick up a fuss.
>>7293132
Is your photography good? the problem with candid photos is that amateur photographers rarely make them look good. I've yet to see candid con shots that didn't suck.

As for cosplayers, most of them will give you the evil eye if they see you doing it. We've all seen too many lousy "candid photographers" who then upload photos of cosplayers with baggage around their feet, or making funny faces while they eat their food, terrible photos with crowded halls in the background, and so on.

>> No.7293204
File: 105 KB, 640x480, photo (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Personally I don't see anything wrong with sticking decent photos you've taken in an album. When friends/acquaintances come over and see their picture on my wall they're thrilled.
As for candid, there shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not getting in anyone's face, or posting unflattering photos.

>> No.7293234

>>7293156
Ah thanks. Honestly I'm just a photog student who will be taking my camera to the con for the first time. I want to try doing some con photography and I don't have any intention of selling my photos. No creeper shots or unflattering photos either. Haha. I hope to avoid the usual shitty candid con shots.

>> No.7293439

>>7292858
ah, ok, from my experience, it depends on the cosplayer. honestly, talk to the cosplayers themselves. you've gotta be talking to them anyway if you don't want your shots to look stiff an unnatural as fuck.

p much what I do if i don't already know the cosplayer, is i ask what they'd be more comfortable with? Facebook is almost always a 'hell yes' because people want to be able to tag themselves and make your stuff their profile pictures. also its way easy to just post a link to an album on the convention facebook page. Since facebook has the ability to sell your pictures, i prefer to upload smaller versions instead of the full size image files. sure facebook, you sell that shit with its awful jpeg artefacts, go nuts.

Tumblr cosplayers can be a bit picky imo? But are usually okay so long as you get their urls from them and link back (as you should be doing anywhere- credit is important for everyone).

DeviantArt cosplayers make me fucking cringe but hey, yeah, link back to those if you can too. no matter how embarrassing.

>> No.7293440

>>7293439
(cont)

If you're good at what you do, and get decent feedback from the people you shoot, you can make your convention costs back just by offering 5$ each shoot. Details on how that works depends on the photographer's preference, and what they can get away with. I'm not that well known, but I see my photos around here every now and then - I usually offer people the raw files to post and edit themselves if they're willing to pay me. and my price is 'whatever you feel my time and photos are worth'. that's gotten me 5$, and that's gotten me $20.

As for printing- hell yeah. print those fuckers. you did that, you took that picture. Just be aware that some people are going to find that creepy, but that's /your art/. people can frame a painting, people can frame a photograph. Personally, the only time I've printed my pictures is to put together my portfolio for a reputable college program.

hope that helped.

>> No.7295831

I think it's fine to print them out to put them in an album. That used to be the only way to keep photos anyway.

>> No.7298548

>>7292858
Hey I'm back, I'm really happy to see insights on this.

In my personal situation, it was my first con and was kinda tourist-y and took photos of cosplays with myself posing with them, even though our cosplays where totally worlds apart. Would this be less creepy?