[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 242 KB, 500x686, tumblr_mtz1zxJZqA1qixnleo1_r1_500[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7216108 No.7216108 [Reply] [Original]

Alright /cgl/

I just read the sticky and there are still a few things I do not understand. I s'pose this will be newbie general here.

Questions:
What is Ita?
How do you find your style?
Can white girls pull off lolita? I am white as fuck and think the very simplistic/classy or simplistic/cutesy (see: whatever roland is, I see it in threads and it's always nice). Also, I like the style but I don't want to look like I was vomited on by a pastel rainbow or look like "that guy" when I walk into a room, I just want to be cute and feel cute in what I'm wearing.
Where is it appropriate to wear this stuff? It seems like it'd be formalwear in Japan but my insides hurt imagining going anywhere professional dressed up like this (more weekend-wear rather than work-wear or something)
Are wigs necessary? I have straight auburn/strawberry blonde hair.
Is there an age limit?
Are "plain Jane" styled lolitas a thing?

Thanks ya'll.

>The only thing I like about this outfit is the dress

>> No.7216116

>>7216108
Ita means "ouch" in japanese, it's litterally someone painful to look at, a really bad lolita.

You find your style based on your favourite color scheme and theme I believe.

Yes, whites can pull of lolita, in fact everyone can. You juqst have to wear things that fit your skin tone. If you like the simplistic style, go for classic. If you need some more help you can use your google-fu or/and consult hellolace for example.

Lolita is an alternative fashion, thus it's not really a formal wear. But you can wear it nearly everywear you want, and dress it up and down. It's more of a week-end wear, but people wear it to work or school too. Just realise that you moght be overdressed and everybody will loook at you no matter what.

As long as your hair is neat and well groomed, wig is not necessary.

No age limit.

I recommend you once again to do a few research by yourself. You may enjoy the fyeahlolita blog, it's really a good source for beginners.

>> No.7216117

>What is Ita?
Lolita without the lol.

>Can white girls pull off lolita?
Are you racist or something?

>Where is it appropriate to wear this stuff?
lolita meetups, anime conventions... I dunno... jpop concerts?

>Are wigs necessary?
People will make fun of you on /cgl/ if you don't wear a wig.

>Is there an age limit?
Technically no, but most lolitas are very cruel and tend to have a strong tribalistic mentality. If you are not in the same general age range as them, expect to be passive aggressively snubbed every time you try to interact with them. Actually, you should expect that even if you are in the same age range as them.

>> No.7216120

>>7216108
>What is Ita?
Literally "so ugly it hurts"; a poorly dressed lolita

>How do you find your style?
How do you find your personal style? Just whatever appeals to you. Theres also no need to only dress in one style.

>Can white girls pull off lolita? Yes, definitely, just as much as asians or any other race. Being well groomed and presentable is more important than any skin color.

>Where is it appropriate to wear this stuff? Dinner [dates], museums, events/cons, plays, nice lunch for more detailed coords. Simple coordinates you can wear to about anywhere.. shopping at the mall, for example. Anywhere you would normally put an effort into looking nice.

>Are wigs necessary? No, but nice, groomed, styled hair is necessary. Wigs are just easier for some people.

>Is there an age limit?
No.

>Are "plain Jane" styled lolitas a thing?
Maybe try "casual lolita"? If so, yes. Also try "otome-kei" if thats your thing.

>> No.7216123
File: 212 KB, 500x750, tumblr_mloxk01Xwy1qky71io1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7216116
>. If you like the simplistic style, go for classic.
Classic is most definitely the most simplistic style. It really just depends on the coord. Classic is just worn casually most often.

>> No.7216124

>What is Ita?
"Ita" is basically "so bad your eyes hurt". It's an outfit that causes you physical pain to look at. See our ita thread for examples.
You just sorta fumble around until you get it, and your style will change over time.
>Can white girls pull off lolita? I am white as fuck and think the very simplistic/classy or simplistic/cutesy (see: whatever roland is, I see it in threads and it's always nice). Also, I like the style but I don't want to look like I was vomited on by a pastel rainbow or look like "that guy" when I walk into a room, I just want to be cute and feel cute in what I'm wearing.
Yes, white girls can do lolita. Most people on /cgl/ are also white as fuck. And there's classic lolita, as well as otome (which isn't part of lolita, but focuses on a girlish and classy look) that you might want to look into. And the Roland is a jacket from Atelier Boz, a brand that specializes in aristocratic looks, so classy as fuck is a given.
>Where is it appropriate to wear this stuff? It seems like it'd be formalwear in Japan but my insides hurt imagining going anywhere professional dressed up like this (more weekend-wear rather than work-wear or something)
People wear it everywhere. Some do it every day, even to work. Some only do it for special occasions, it's all up to you.
>Are wigs necessary? I have straight auburn/strawberry blonde hair.
As long as your hair looks good and you style it well no one really gives a fuck. /cgl/ generally says buy a good petti before a wig.
>Is there an age limit?
Nah, and most of us are in our 20s because of how expensive this is.
Casual lolita, toned down classic, and otome are all toned down looks. For an example of toned down classy-casual looks try and look up Fanny Rosie.

>> No.7216125

Wish you could have used a lolita image at least.

>What is Ita?
Ita seems to be subjective, but it's most definitely not a plain outfit. Itas have no theory of color, lack the proper silhouette (most of the time because they're using the wrong petticoat), wear cheap cosplay wigs, implement weeabooanimu shit like cat ears, cat tails, chi ears, miku wigs, hot topic/goff items, etc. Once again, just because an outfit is simple and doesn't go over the top with accessories, it does not mean it's ita.

Although some may disagree, just because you're ugly doesn't mean you're ita too.

Experiment and try a little bit of everything. I started as sweet but then I was told I was "too old" for it - so I went to classic and I HATED it. Now I'm back to sweet with more gothic pieces. If you're somewhat fashionable and presentable, choose the style that reflects your current normalfag wardrobe and it'll be easier to go off from there.

>Can white girls pull off lolita?
Ok you're wall of text made me cringe bcuz how old are you lol
Lolitas are not bound to japan... ANYONE can wear lolita. And why are you bashing OTT pastel vomit sweet (not that I wear it or like it)? Yes it may not be your cup of tea but we're such a small community so there's no need to be waging war on another style.

>my insides hurt imagining going anywhere professional dressed up like this (more weekend-wear rather than work-wear or something)

>Are wigs necessary?
No

>Is there an age limit?
No

Casual lolita

>> No.7216126

>>7216123
oops. *most definitely NOT the most simplistic

>> No.7216130
File: 321 KB, 500x667, tumblr_mwl7dtjUGi1qcxmepo1_r1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7216123
I really don't like this mindset. Why is classic always labeled as casual?

>> No.7216137

Okay, so some of the questions have pretty straightforward answers but I thought I'd contribute a little more to some...

It's a personal thing and it will probably continue to evolve and change anyway - I mean, your style as a 14 year old is probably vastly different from as an 18 year old and as trends evolve and change often your tastes will be influenced. I got into lolita from being a mallgoth originally. Sweet lolita was super popular at the time and since that was nearly everything I saw, I started getting into pastels and sweet outfits and that was kind of my first foray into lolita. I then quickly realised that I wasn't really a super sugary sweet person and moved back to gothic/classic, and now my wardrobe is full of velvets and jewel tones and far less printed stuff.

As much as you can use "alternative fashion" and "appropriate" in the same sentence, appropriate places are dictated by the area you live in to be honest. Like, I live in a city that is totally fine with alt fashion so lolita has become my casual wear as well as my go-to for fancy dinners and nights out - I'm quite happy wearing it to a house party, fancy dinner or just to get groceries. I don't really care that I look "dressed up" because I know I'm not gonna have anything serious happen to me. However if you live in a dangerous area where standing out can make you a target, save it for meet-ups and events.

>Are wigs necessary?
No, but do something with your hair

Casual lolita is probably what you're looking for, or something more like otome-kei

>> No.7216139

>>7216123
It gave the most simplistic and elegeant feeling, but I agree you can do simple lolita with any style. Basically an OP, patterned tights or printed socks, a bow or a beret and voila ! a simple lolita outfit for all styles

>> No.7216138

>>7216130
Sorry anon, I corrected myself here>>7216126
I should probably just delete my comment and restate it to avoid the shitstorm.

>> No.7216142

>>7216138
Welp. Looks like I cant delete my comment anymore. Hopefully people see my correction.

>> No.7216143
File: 114 KB, 500x525, tumblr_msgdslC3P91s42ygjo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7216138
Sorry I didn't see your correction! I don't wear classic but I will flex my muscles and defend for it as much as possible

>> No.7216146

>>7216126
>>7216139
Forgot to had that Classic also tend to have less accessories (and she didn't like Sweet, that's why I picked up simplistic and elegant) but can and will look sophisticated with minimal accessories. I wear my VM dresses with a VM hat, partterned tights, elegant bag and shoes and it look more polishes, elegant and grown up than casual sweet (even if I like it too)

>> No.7216157

Do tons of research and find the places to buy lolita, brands, offbrands and second-hand communities. When you get that HNNNGG feeling in your crotch and butterflies in your stomach when you look at a dress, that's the one.

Also like someone else said, look at your preferences in normal clothes. Do you wear a lot of bright colors and t-shirts? You might like sweet. More subdued classic cuts and lacey dresses? Classic. Lots of black would obviously indicate gothic.

>> No.7217676

>>7216116
Thank you very much! And the fyeahlolita on tumblr, I presume?

>>7216117
Yes, I am, but that's irrelevant. And oh, well, wh-what if my hair is really neat? Also what is this 'age range'

>>7216120
If I could reach in through the internet and kiss you, I would. I really, really like otome-kei, you are very helpful =)

>>7216123
The one on the left is not simplistic, the one on the right seems kinda simplistic to me and more towards what I like.

>>7216124
I looked in and even though I don't know this place well I got a good laugh and some secondhand embarrassment from that thread. And I absolutely love Atelier Boz, they look great (granted I wouldn't wear something so elegant in public, I'd feel overdressed, but damn I'd buy their entire fucking store and just wear it by myself and feel gorgeous)
And Fanny Rosie is a marvelous, fashionable woman, I literally just looked up the first blog that popped up under that name and was shocked that I actually found lolita styles that I didn't immediately think looked like they were "too much" or needed to be "toned down". She's so lovely.

I would wear that type of stuff in public often.

>>7216125
I spent 45 minutes looking for an image that I genuinely liked and ended up settling for that image-where the only thing I liked was the dress. And I'm pretty sure I could pull it off, I'm 18 although I'm a bit more "serious" rather than "cute". I'm sure classic lolita is my thing.
And I was just stating my opinion, to each it's own anon, sorry for offending you.
>Ok you're wall of text made me cringe bcuz how old are you lol
How old are you then, anon?

>>7216137
I live in Vancouver, WA. I think in Portland I'd be fine, people would think I was a bit odd in the Couve though.

>>7216139
>patterned socks
Is this necessary? I am horrid with pattern combining.

>>7216157
Thank you!! And I'm more classic/lacey/traditional/conservative in the way I dress, I think Classic/Otome-Kei is my thing.

>> No.7217680
File: 38 KB, 612x612, 541602_10200773433201687_1292719865_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7217676
Again, I cannot stress how happy and thankful I am for each and every response in this thread and I'm glad that everyone is so welcoming and friendly here, I'm really excited about going shopping for this now =).

S-some more questions if you guys don't mind

>Do the parasols work as actual umbrellas, like could I defend myself from rain with them, or are they just for show?
Because this IS Vancouver and it rains all the time.

>What are the best otome-kei and classic lolita brands aside from lovely Atelier Boz?

>also pic related is me, I think honestly I could probably pull this off if I went with a Fanny Rosie type style.

>> No.7217683

>>7217676
fyeahlolita on blogspot

>> No.7217688

>>7216108
Dskljsfnvilfbs OSE FUCKING SKELETON TIGHTS. Every pair in existence need to be burned.

>> No.7217689

>>7217676
By patterned tights I wanted to say that kind of textured tights : http://www.hm.com/fr/product/17889?article=17889-B
for exemple

My favourite classic brands are Innocent World, Victorian Maiden and mille fleurs. Ateliez Boz is more EGA/gothic than classic tought. Major classic brands are Juliette et Justine Mary Magdalene, Innocent World, Victorian Maiden, and we also have mille fleurs/mille noirs, triple fortune and a few others as minor brands

>> No.7217690

>>7217680
I know that most Baby/aatp/AP/IW umbrella handle rain just well, I guess it's noted on the sale page or lolibrary/hellolace page

>> No.7217695

>>7217680
Fannie wears a lot of Mary Magdalene, and she nearly always includes outfit rundowns that tell you the name of the brand and dress. From what I've seen, she's super sweet so if you're curious about a piece I'd shoot her an ask on Tumblr. She's also got an FAQ here http://fannyrosie.tumblr.com/post/62762850003/faq Other possible brands for her style are Victorian Maiden and maybe Innocent World. Some otome brands are Jane Marple, Axes Femme, or Emily Temple Cute, but hang around the otome thread around here for more information since I'm not super into the style.

Boz is actually more of an aristocrat brand, they're more black/white/navy in their color palate than most otome, but their blouses and such could work easily.

One thing to beware of is that a lot of classic runs -very- small, so you might find that some pieces fit oddly. I'm more of a goth so I can't give more specifics.

>> No.7217700

>>7217689
>http://www.hm.com/fr/product/17889?article=17889-B
Those are not bad at all, I would totally wear them.

Here, I just found a gorgeous dress http://25.media.tumblr.com/78859a38f0181b8af611988b52c71381/tumblr_mrf9vyjEP21r3o680o1_1280.jpg Mocha version of http://lolibrary.org/apparel/melty-royal-chocolate-jsk

>>7217689
>Innocent World
Cute but so many patterns on every dress! I really like http://innocent-w.jp/fs/innocentworld/dress/141603 though, but perhaps in a softer color like a grey or pink, and every other dress was too patterny!
>Victorian Maiden
I really like this one a lot, it has a lot of great pieces. http://v-maiden.ya.shopserve.jp/shopping/dress/elegant-frill-wrap-op.html is one of my favorites.
Definitely saving this website.
>Mille Fleurs
Can't lie, I couldn't find anything I liked on here...
>Juliette et Justine
Too patterny.
>Mary Magdalene
Someone told me I reminded them of this lady from the bible
Website has almost nothing but google images made me tingle on the insides, looks gorgeous, thank you and >>7217695
for everything! :) And I'm a size M in dresses but some S fit me too, should I get a M or L? I have teeny arms and boobs but a big butt so dresses usually fit oddly.

This is a kind of dress I really like (although the dark blue could be a bit lighter)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e42c1ee9ec3ae6c6844c4e160445d905/tumblr_mq148aubCj1r3hcqeo6_400.jpg

>> No.7217702

>>7217680
You're cute!

>what is ita
Same thing everyone else says, a lolita who is poorly dressed. Usually can be identified by extremely mismatched outfit, likes milanoo, etc. Sometimes a weeaboo.

>finding style
I spent a long time lurking in cgl before I decided what really attracted me (in this case, flowers, arcitecture, and longer dresses). Don't jump into it on impulse. I know if I did I would be a sweet lolita and look absolutely horrible.

>white girls pulling off lolita?
There's no rule about what race you need to be, as long as you look nice and presentable.

>Where is it appropriate?
Not really "formal wear", but I can see cases where it can pass if your dress or skirt is a solid color and toned down. To be honest, you will be stared at for dressing differently than everyone else no matter what you wear.

>Wigs necessary?
No, but wigs are helpful on lazy days.

>Age limit?
No age limit.

>plain Jane lolitas?
Do you mean lolitas with minimal accessories? If so, then yes. It's usually with classic or otome kei.

>parasols?
To be honest, I've never used one but my friends say it's alright for some rain. I'd just carry a small foldable umbrella for the heavier rains.

>Classic brands?
Victorian Maiden and Innocent world are my favorite, since there is solid as well as patterned dresses. I think JetJ's patterns aren't really casual since they usually have paintings on them.

>> No.7217706

>>7217700
Lolibrary.org is a great resourse, you can use it to look up releases from past years, since styles change constantly. And you can sort by brand, which is great. Brands release multiple series throughout the year, some solids, some prints, some super fancy, some really toned down. Look around a bit, see what the different brands can do. Prints are really popular right now, but lolibray archives as much as humanly possible, so they have a lot of dresses to look at.

A vast majority of lolita dresses are one size fits all, so if you don't fit, you're SOL. You need to know your measurements, so bust/underbust/waist (underbust is so you know if you have a wide or narrow ribcage)

>> No.7217716

>parasols

I have too many. They're completely fine to use in rain, but some are patterned (have a print applied to them) and if improperly dried the pattern can flake off and be damaged. The main difference between a straight up umbrella and a parasol is that the greater majority of parasols sold by brands (and indeed, in Japan/Asian countries) are UV protective. Therefore, they are "sun parasols" rather than umbrellas, since their intended purpose is for UV protection. Japanese and many other Asians still prize light skin, whereas Western countries have turned to sun worshippers.

>Otome-kei

Quintessential brand is Pink-House, or Jane Marple, Emily Temple Cute and MILK.

>Classic

Victorian Maiden and Mary Magdalene are the essential brands, Innocent World as well, though IW has other styles too.

>> No.7217719

>>7217700
Your welcome :) I've an huge ass too, but it's hided by the petti so no need to worry. Brand usually cater to one-fit-all measurement, they all have their own. I suggest you to look trought various dress of the same brand to figure out the regular brand measurement.
Victorian Maiden is definitly a good choice : it's not too expensive, definitly good quality and easy to wear.

>> No.7217738

>>7217700
Um, not all brands do sizes. Either you fit the size they make or you don't...saying you're a S, M or L means jack in lolita, you need to know your measurements. Lots of plain coloured items go for cheaper on second hand sites, so if you like the overall aesthetic of a brand just look for them. Closet Child has a sale right now, also look at sites like maidenclothing, tokyoalice and alice + fururun.

>> No.7217896
File: 40 KB, 480x360, cgl2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Holy shit, OP is getting all this info handed to her on a silver platter. You must've caught us on a good day.

>> No.7221936

>>7217676
did you jsut admit to being racist?

>> No.7221942

WTF, since when does /cgl/ spoon-feeds any info to newbies?
OP if you want to learn you have to do a lot, and I do mean A LOT of research.

>> No.7221953
File: 372 KB, 495x411, tumblr_m5b4s1Cxkz1qay81h.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Try asking Google. That guy knows everything.

>> No.7221957

>>7216108
fucking lurk moar

What happened to the days when this board would tell anybody with a simple or innocent question to simply fuck off? I miss those days. Tolerating these newbies is why this board is going to tumblr-shit. Let the ignorant fester so we don't get more goddamn itas in our comms, good god.

>> No.7221959

>>7221942
Helping people? Can't have that now can we

>> No.7221965

>>7221959
No, but here's the thing:
Why would you claim to like this fashion if you can't be bothered to learn even the most basic shit? The picture OP used is evidence enough that they don't know dicks; at best one could consider it kind of ita, but it's not really lolita at all.
If you're this stupid, you should just get out now.

>> No.7224823

>>7221936
XDD I'm an e-edgy special unique girl getting into a n-niche style with all the other lel r-racists on the chanz! =)

>> No.7226276

>>7216108
start by telling you that pic is not lolita