[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 66 KB, 570x426, il_570xN.481391794_qwv1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7166886 No.7166886[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I just found a big list of Florida anime conventions, but are any of them good? I literally found more than 10 in the entire state, but I don't want to waste my time/money at a shitty one. If there aren't any good ones, which are the least-shit?

>> No.7166947

bump

>> No.7166960

>>7166886
could you post a link to the list?

>> No.7167302

>>7166886
Megacon is generally pretty good, lots of good cosplay, but all there really is to do is the dealers room and the costume contest. Kindof a waste of money, just go and hangout instead.

Metrocon is pretty good as well, nice con space and good dealers room/artist alley usually. Good cosplays. The shows are sometimes pretty cool to watch too. Only food sold there is super expensive with long lines though.

Animate Miami is cool. Kindof crowded but what con isn't now-a-days. Good cosplays. Be careful in Miami.

Shadocon was good in the past. Last two years haven't been nearly as good. This past year the dealers room was outside in a tent. Uhhhh dumb.

Holiday Matsuri is really small and fun to go to for one day. Staff was kindof mean last year though...

Sukoshicon was cute and fun last year

I've heard Anime South isn't too bad.

Khaotic con isn't worth the time or money

>> No.7167324

>>7167302
>Only food sold there is super expensive with long lines though.
Yeah, for Metrocon it's probably better to leave and take the trolley or walk into the Channelside area to eat.

>> No.7167798

Anything about Chibi-Pa ? Only ever been to Mega and a small con in Ocala.

As inventive as the name was (Ocala Comic Con) it didn't seem bad for being the first year. Only went Saturday but had fun. They're planning to have it again in the summer of 2014.

>> No.7167978

Bumping becuase I am also a Floridafag

Anyone know anything about Tampa Bay Comiccon? It looked small, but I've never been there. My friend and i are thinking of going next year.

>> No.7168012

Megacon is the best if you're a /co/mrade/ enjoy more adult cons and comics.

Metrocon is for anime fans and generally has a younger crowd. Those are the top two conventions in Florida.

Supercon is building itself up to be as popular, but it's a bit of a clusterfuck and the fact that they changed venues for 2014 will be interesting. It's definitely a better location but it's more of a hassle to get to and traffic will be a huge bitch.

>>7167302

>Be careful in Miami
lolwat. We aren't in the 80's anymore, man. Also, wasn't this year Animate Miami's first year?

>>7167798

Haven't been, but I've heard it's a decent smallcon, most people go to meet up with friends though.

>>7167978

Also never been, but I have had friends who went and they said it was just a big dealers room.

>> No.7168124
File: 42 KB, 720x480, 223.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7168012
>Megacon
>adult con

>> No.7168125

>>7168124

It's the most 'adult' of the Florida cons.

>> No.7169462

I don't know why people say Megacon is great... If you've been to any larger cons like DragonCon, you'll be disappointed, unless you're pretty much there to see friends. It was ok, but it pretty much shuts down at 6pm because the dealers room, artist alley, and exhibition floor are all in one giant room. Other than a few panels that have strict capacity limits, such as 1000 people allowed in the dance, for which was a ticket given out on Friday... (I don't usually do con dances but there was /literally/ nothing else going on) there isn't much going on.
I did get to see Patrick Stewart without a horrendous line at the last Megacon though.

It's ok if you're a local, but I definitely wouldn't travel far to come unless you're a huge fan of the guests or whatever.

>> No.7170908

>>7167302
are any of those in the northwestern area of florida? I live near Apalachicola, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

>> No.7170916

>>7170908

I think Pensacola has a con? Honestly you're in an awkward area. I guess the best cons for you are in the Orlando area and going up to Atlanta for their cons (AWA is always a fun time)

>> No.7170920

>>7170916
I found out recently that I'm actually closer to New Orleans than I am to Miami.

How the shit does that happen?

>> No.7171289

>>7170920
Aside from distance you have that time zone change near Pensacola as well which really helps. I drove from Lake City to New Orleans in a day no problem.

>> No.7171383

>>7170908
http://pensacon.com/

They are promoting the fuck out of this for 2014, apparently someone is dropping a shitload of money into it.

>> No.7171696

>>7166960
http://animecons.com/events/state.shtml/FL002800799

>> No.7171731

Megacon- Never really like it, cosplays are great. But it's pretty much a giant flea market.
Chibi-pa- Used to be fun as fuck. Now boring as holy hell, don't spend money on it. Unless chilling with highschool students is your thing.
Supercon- Really crowded, chill convention. It has a lot of panels so there is always something to do. And they normally have awesome guest. Staff are a bunch of shits though, so expect to be yelled at by some volunteer idiot.
AFO- At the old hotel is was a pretty fun partycon. Panels and cosplays go from average to just plain odd. If you ever wanted to go to a convention to chill I'd go here. The halls are always busy and fun.
Orlando anime day-DON'T GO, waste of fucking time.

>> No.7172538

I've been to most major conventions other than ShadoCon in Florida.

I think the two best conventions are MegaCon (which is just a huge dealers room) and MetroCon. MegaCon is kind of neat in that there are a lot of people, but I don't really like comic conventions are they tend to get boring real quick otherwise. MetroCon has a lot to offer, but there are some people who don't like it at all for some reason.

Then there is stuff like Holiday Matsuri and FANDom Con which are decent but still on their way.

AFO had moved to an inconvenient date and location which kind of blew this year. A huge drop in attendance despite looking like a thriving and growing convention last year.

Anime South wasn't too bad, but the problem is they are bringing it back after a 2-3 year hiatus and not really promoting it at all.

>> No.7172871

I really only like Megacon. While it is a large dealers room I like the mix of audiences, costumes, and things available to shop and see. Metrocon is the second best, but personally I am not fond of it, due to the con being more geared to and attended by the younger crowd. AFO moved so I can't say anything about it anymore. The other conventions tend to be too disorganized/ not stable enough yet to be worth it, too small to be worth it unless you're local, or just flat out shit.

So yeah. We have a ton of cons, but the quality of them is overall low.

>>7172538
>AFO had moved to an inconvenient date and location which kind of blew this year.
So the move was a bust then? I skipped because of the new venue. Didn't want to play guinea pig.

>> No.7173083

>>7168124
By adult he means 30-40's and not young 20-somethings staying in the convention center until 3 am. Megacon gets a lot of families, Metrocon does not.

I prefer Megacon because I like comics and scifi as well as manga/anime, and it's the best con in Florida for all that combined. Metro's dealer room is so-so, and it definitely caters to a younger crowd. Metro and Mega both get good cosplay.

I'll be interested to see what Supercon does at it's new location. I had fun this past year but it's also a younger crowd and the dealer's has a strange mix of vendors. Also the cosplay is eh.

>> No.7173117

>>7170908
January 3rd-5th is Destination Anime in Destin, FL. It's a Sukoshicon, and I happened to be a dealer there last year. I enjoyed it. The convention center was nice and small and it had events late into the night. It seemed like a good con to chill at and I was surprised to see some great cosplay and well-dressed lolis. It was also in a beautiful area.

However they've put together a fucking indiegogo to raise money for the 2014 event, and now I'm freaking out there won't be a con. I paid for a booth already, thinking it might grow in 2014. They have raised $50 since October 9th, and have one guest announced (the second backed out yesterday.) I fear there will be no guests, no equipment for contests and events, nothing.

Sorry if I'm ranting, I've been worrying a lot about my booth status since I saw the indiegogo. Here's a link for those of you interested. The "perks" are just brilliant.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-destination-anime-2014

>> No.7174647

Does anyone know what's up with AFO's website? I just get a blank page.

>> No.7178628

bump

>> No.7179163

>>7173117
Hey I'm a local to that area and Destination just announced they're changing to a 1 day event. And it's funny since the guest they lost is confirmed for Animesouth, which just came back from hiatus one week before Destination. Things are changing a lot it seems, Fandom announced it'll be in a new location next year too.

>> No.7179946

>>7179163
Yeah I just saw the email. They overextended themselves with their numerous other events, it's a shame this is the one that had to be downgraded. It had a good location and the staff were lovely. I thought it strange that they're moving the event to the summer though, when they're so many other conventions already. But I'm not local so I have no clue about small conventions along the panhandle. I'll probably stick to the bigger ones in the summer.

I wonder if it will stay in the ECCC, wouldn't it be more expensive to book then?

>> No.7183310

Can anyone rate any of the cons from an accessibility standpoint? I'm still fairly new to needing a rollator, so I'm not quite sure what to look for apart from crowdedness and elevators.
Metrocon was okay, but I was wondering if there was another that wasn't super crowded (like I've heard mega is) or built by a stair fetishist like metro.

>> No.7183816

>>7183310
Most hotel-based cons are usually on a single floor and not too bad (although Shado is usually very crowded). I remember the hotel used for Anime South in 2007 had a downstairs, but it wasn't too bad.

>> No.7187172

AFO is honestly the only good Old-school convention Florida has had left, until this year's change in venue. The hotel was not really cool to the con folk, and there was a ton of other stuff going on.

Chibi-Pa is a great con to get fucked up at. Its basically a giant excuse to party at a hotel, disguised as a shitty convention. Invite a bunch of friends and get a cheap-ass hotel room and boose, and you're pretty set. The shitty convention might suck as a con, but as a red-herring, its fucking great ;D

>> No.7187198

I went to Holiday Matsuri last year with my friend and had an absolute blast. Met some incredibly sweet girls and hung out with them most of the day. Had some dinner and went to the burlesque with them. Kicking myself for not doing the maid cafe, but def doing it this year.

>> No.7187428
File: 995 KB, 500x281, 1382413460508.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7187172
Shit son. Party at Chibi-pa? You going this year?

>> No.7187527

>>7187198
The peko peko girls are so cute, you'll enjoy it.

>>7187172
They always ask me to buy a booth at Chibi-pa, but considering it advertises itself as a party con, I doubt sales would be good. Even the people that give me flyers tell me it's a "party con"