[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 7 KB, 400x151, Michaels-logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7146598 No.7146598 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone else work here?
I see lots of cosplayers around con season and a lot of people post about getting cosplay materials here.

I hate my job and I want to kill myself every day.
Michaels horror strories/complaints from employees and customers, vent them here.

>> No.7146614

Fuck everyone of you looking for penny items.
You trash the store and leave shit everywhere looking for penny stuff.
And get pissed when you find one we take it off the shelves.

Our corporate policy is not to sell you items for one cent, but their lowest clearance price.
I have this in my employee handbook.

Fuck you bitches fuck you all.

>> No.7146618

New at work. Never expect to see any autistic weeb from horror stories people talks about. Busy day, long line 2 cashiers. One chubs autistic girl wearing a Fiona (Adven-Time) necklace, anime shirt and strings in her random braids? comes up to my reg and very very slowly tells me to price check all her items and choose to not buy 1/5 of the pile, spending time to think and slowly say her opinion of each item. Made me price check twice an some items to "definately" not get that. When finally rings up totally, she slowly takes out crumple bills from her wrist wallet and dumbs all the coins to count them only to realize she didn't have enough and have to take time to think about what she want to take out again. When she was done, slowly hands me strangely damp money and leftt.

Manager gave me lecture at the end of my shift about moving faster on reg, losing profit, and assures to watch over me next time to make sure I do things correctly. I got pity stares from other employees.

>> No.7146623
File: 90 KB, 498x363, wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Used to work at Michaels a few years ago. Always having kids come in wanting to use craft glitter instead of cosmetic glitter..

even after explaining craft glitter is harmful they still buy it..

>> No.7146629

>>7146614
It's a new fad and youtube beauty gurus and shit talk about penny items.

They tell them to be ugly and threaten to call corporate if you refuse to sell it to them for a penny, the only way people get penny items is if the cashier is new
I had a lady tell me to go fuck myself and yelled at me all out the door for not giving her the skus of our penny baskets, and refusing to sell them for a penny if she found them.

And no, we don't throw away penny stuff. We put it in grab bags or send it back.

>> No.7146632

>>7146618
After about a year of it you'll hate your job.

I burned out at about 7 months in.

Cashier is literally the worst position at the store.

>> No.7146631

I've always wished I could get hired at a craft store. I tried applying to Michaels after I graduated high school, but no sale. And then I got saddled with my current pleb job.
What do you need to do? Tell them you make costumes? Link them to your dA? Bring in your artsy sketchbook and crafts and props to the interview? Do they even really care if you give a crap about crafts?

>> No.7146635

I don't have that store in my country. What do you mean by penny items?

>> No.7146637
File: 23 KB, 640x483, 1381462213582.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146631
Michaels gives less than a shit about crafts.
The management is consistent of old men who think crafts are dumb.
Payroll will fuck you over and you'll work so little you'll hardly make it up in gas. I'm talking about 3 hour shifts
Or on busy days, since they staff so little, you'll be worked like a dog with no thanks as your managers yell at you.

They only give a shit about sales and require all employees remember the exact number for the store's sales and write your opinion about sales and impriving profit for the company on a slip every day, or you will get in trouble.

They treat you as though you are a moron or a theif or both. Managers are required to check bills. (As if you could not discern a fake 20 yourself). As you leave you have to wait 10 minute or more off the clock so they can search you for stolen items. Mind you customers will still bother you off the clock and you are required to help them.

>> No.7146638
File: 169 KB, 212x159, surprised reaction.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I started as a cashier but got moved back into custom framing since I was good with customers. I was only 16 at the time and I found out later i needed to be 18 or something like that.
Later moved to a different store and did way more work there. Framing is the best place to work in the store; really quiet, you're in the back, not many customers.
The only thing that was annoying were really picky customers.. the ones that would have me spend an hour on their art matching frames and mats and leave with a 'we'll think about it'.
Also it was always interesting when we got wedding photos in, the pics are usually so photoshopped the husband and wife look nothing like the photo..

>> No.7146641

>>7146637

This is exactly how working at JoAnn fabrics was for me, too. The manager's office had a big bulletin board in it that showed the total hours scheduled the month previous amongst employees, and then they were supposed to figure out a way to schedule every month by aligning people with the fewest number of hours possible. If they did, they got the money saved in a bonus. Yeah, makes sense.

Last I heard one girl I used to work with was heavily pregnant- took maternity leave a week before her due date. Gave two week notice. They put her on closing, alone, every day of the last week. 8+ month pregnant woman closing a store by herself every night. it was great.

>> No.7146642

>>7146631
Do not bring in your stupid weaboo costumes or drawings. They do not give a fuck. Michaels is a retail chain store not a community circlejerk.

If you love arts and crafts do not work here.

You know who also loves arts and crafts? Nasty old bitches. They will insult you and drive you insane. They are impared of thought because they rely on young people "respecting" them.
They yell at you and belittle you because their item did not ring up for a dollar less than it is, or you're messing up their flowers with your dirty hands.

They don't know how to use cupons and insist it's your fault, and will demand discounts just because.

>> No.7146647
File: 4 KB, 151x143, y-yaranaika.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146641
One of our cems was actually having a miscarriage on her shift. She was bleeding and asked our store manager to leave and she refused since she was closing, and told her to "put a pad on".

And she wasn't even fired. She got sent to another store, that's all.

>> No.7146648

If you live in Canada, don't buy your cosplay (or art) supplies here unless it's something you absolutely need and can't find anywhere else. Michaels is horribly overpriced.

Used to do cashier here and I honestly felt bad at the amount of people buying (spray) paint, brushes, foam board, etc especially around con season. You can get better quality things at Curry's (Canadian art store) for half the price plus a small discount if you're a student.

>> No.7146649

Fucking people who tries to returns with no receipt/damaged/open items and does not read the fucking return policy right next to the fucking register. Gets pissed off when they don't get money back.

>> No.7146650

Had the reverse happen to me in a Michael's. I forget what the fuck I must have been wearing to draw this girl's attention (she was an employee, I was the customer) but she zoned in on it and started following me around the store and asking me questions about games and anime. But was completly useless when I actually had to ask her about where a product was. Was so awkward... She showed me some jewelry she had made that she was wearing and it was just terrible, and she wanted my facebook and email to 'keep in touch'. Suffice to say I never went back to that store. It must have been some stupid shirt I was wearing, I really can't remember what sparked her to notice me.

>> No.7146652

>>7146649
Except our manager is a pussy and will return a turd for cash if someone makes a stink about it.

And then they look at you all smug.

Makes my blood boil.

>> No.7146653

>>7146649
Reminds me of the time I asked my coworker who used to work at JoAnn's what the oldest item a customer tried to return.

A lady tried to return 3 year old items she found in her mother's attic, after her mother had passed away.

>> No.7146657

I always hated dealing with little kids at michaels, they would always cause a mess in the kids section and wander around.. also when people just throw random things around cause they're too lazy to put them back -_-

>> No.7146661

>>7146642
The reminds me I was reading reviews for my local craft store and there was a 1 star one that went something like

"I brought a student discount coupon instead of a normal one. As I am not a student I couldn't use it and the Cashier wouldn't just give me a discount anyways. What terrible service, I hope they get fired!"

>> No.7146671

>>7146661
when an item is discontinued and someone forgets to put it in the back for a long time it gets priced to a penny automatically so it is known it needs to be removed (put in grab bags or sent to manufacturer).

Some people find them and demand they are sold to them for that price. It's against our policy and cashiers could get in trouble for it. If a penny item is found then we give them the item at it's last lowest price.

One lady yelled at me for not giving her a bunch of penny items for a penny... "you just lost a customer"
Yeah lost a customer who only provides the company like 6 cents, and we lose the ability to sell it in bags.

Retard.

>> No.7146673

>>7146648
I only find Michael's worth it to go to if I have a 50% off anything coupon and I want something $20+. Which is pretty much anytime because they almost always have an online 40-50% off coupon available(which you can use once a day). So I basically go there to buy one expensive thing at a time. And sometimes I bring my bro to get 2 things half price.

That said a Curry's just opened really close to me and it's a pretty sweet place to get stuff. The people there seem to know their stuff a little better as well.

>> No.7146679

>>7146598
At least you have a job.

>> No.7146682

>>7146632
>Cashier is literally the worst position at the store.

Cashier is the worst position at ANY store. It's easy as shit, but people treat you like you are simultaneously the top dog in the store (you should know everything there is to know and allow anything a customer asks for) and the lowest piece of shit scum of the Earth (you're just a cashier so you don't know anything and can't allow customers to do anything but what you're told to allow).

Customer service isn't even as bad as cashier. Even though you have to refuse returns and get into arguments with stupid people at least you have some authority and get a little satisfaction out of telling some dumb cunt you won't take her shit back.

>> No.7146686

>>7146671
Cool, thanks for explaining that.

Seems like it would fix a lot of trouble if they came up with another system of doing that

>> No.7146690
File: 2.32 MB, 680x1017, 1381717953409.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146682
Been there for 2 years. 2 long years I could be spending somewhere else if I could.

I have asked to be moved to the sales floor, cleaning toilets, I don't even give a fuck. I apply for every open position, nothing.

Then they hire new cashiers and they say working on the floor is more fun and the next week they are sales associates.

If I was prone to massacres I would have done it by now.

Seriously I have done nothing wrong and yet no one takes me seriously.

>> No.7146692

>>7146642
>implying this only happens at Michaels.

That's retail in a nutshell. Jackass customers, low pay, and shit hours.

>> No.7146694

>>7146686
Except corporate probably makes policies trying to be the biggest pains in the ass as possible.

>> No.7146695

>>7146614
What the fuck is a penny item, I don't understand. Is it just something that rings up wrong?

>> No.7146697

>>7146695
It literally rings up a penny because it's impossible for their shitty indian programmers to make an error message instead.

Our os was made in java, and our computers are old and decrepit and no manager knows how to work a register let alone a computer.

Cs major it grinds my gears so much

>> No.7146706

>>7146695
It's an item that has been discontinued and the computer system has reduced it's price to a $0.01. These items are not meant to be sold. They are supposed to be collected and sent away/whatever the store is supposed to do with them but sometimes they adon't get found by employees and they stay on the shelves. So customers will go looking for them and then try to bring up the "you have to sell it to me for that price it's the law" and all this other bullshit even though they know they shouldn't get it for that price and are being huge asshats.

I don't work at Michael's but I think zeroing out items is a thing a bunch of stores do.

>> No.7146716

>>7146690
Story of my life. Luckily I don't work in retail for the moment, but yeah. I worked at Kohl's for a year and I was damn near constantly asked if I wanted to move to sales floor shifts and I kept telling them YES YES YES and they never follow through. Then just like you said, every couple of months they hire a bunch of new people and half of them go to the sales floor while I get pissed.

>> No.7146724

>>7146706
Ahh ok. I vaguely remember my first job having something like that but we had to give it to them for that.

My own Michaels story, though roles reversed I guess?

>buyin some basic art stuff
>get up to register
>cashier is youngish girl with lots of *quirky* accessories
>she glances at me and gets this big weird smile
>OMG ARE YOU A BRONY TOOOO?!?!
>wat
>glance down
>old tshirt with a doofy generic pegasus on it
>"um no sorry I just like horses"
>she priceeds to tell me all about bronies, My Little Pony, the characters, individual episodes
>not ringing me out
>trying to politely nudge her along
>stacking my items on counter, trying to ask about my coupon
>does not shut up
>finally after twenty minutes I get rung up and pay
>she's still throwing names of sites at me to look her up on later

I specifically wear only plain shirts when I have to go there now. Unfortunately theres just Michaels and Walmart for art supplies in town.

>> No.7146726

>>7146706
>>7146697
How do customers know what's a penny item? How do they know what to look for?

I'm often mistaken for working at JoAnn's (uhh?) and get a lot of stupid questions asked. Some lady kept pestering me about if the store sold crosses, and insisted I worked there so I must know.

>>7146673
This is honestly the only way to shop at any chain craft/fabric store. If you're not doing this, you're doing it wrong. Dealing with coupons and pricing is half the reason I have to plan my costumes out 10 months in advance... ridiculous.

>> No.7146734

>>7146726
Youtube gurus and constantly pricechecking and making a mess in the store.

If you find a piece of crap item stuffed under some big baskets odds are it's a penny, it it looks older.

>> No.7146736

i've been in retail for almost 5 years now, it never gets better ;_;

i have a nice story though...
> work in a shoe department
> girl comes up to me looking for simple black boots
> "oh, what do you need them for?"
> "cosplay..."
> we geek out for a bit, find her the perfect boots on clearance!
> agree to meet up at our local con
> bro it up all weekend

the store i worked for was absolute shit (sooo many horror stories) but that story always makes me smile!

>> No.7146740

>>7146726
It baffles me how few people know about the 40-50% coupons.

I know retail isn't he best, and I've avoided it for a long time. But no one in California is hiring new graduated nursing students. Thinking of applying to the seasonal Joann positions just to have something to do and some money. Is this a terrible idea? I can deal with assholes. Hospitals are full of patients and patient's families that like to dump all their angst on you. Only thing is that I'm in California and we have lots of little old ladies that only speak Spanish.

>> No.7146747

In regards to the "penny items," I worked at a Michaels like 5 years ago and my manager told us whenever something got "pennied out" in the system it meant it was recalled and we could get fired for selling it. But it was before all this penny item bullshit started, and I only remember something ringing up for a penny once. Once we told the lady why it rang up as that, she freaked out and completely understood why we couldn't sell it to her (it was a kids toy).

>> No.7146754

Can this be a craft store general thread? I work at JoAnns and actually enjoy it for the most part. People are super dumb, and can be super rude but I find most of my customers to be fairly pleasant . i cut, though and never ever ring. which might be the reason why.

>> No.7146758

>>7146754
Do you work at a big or small store? I think the small stores train everybody on everything so they put you where they need you.

>> No.7146765
File: 131 KB, 1280x800, 2d2a8ua.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just missfired this after being told my captcha wasn't typed in more than once.... (also that thread isn't deleting for me... but will 404... I've never had to delete a thread before. Is it supposed to do that?)

but anyway this is probably the strangest application test I've ever had to take. I'm just trying to get in seasonally I feel like this is a little unnecessary. (this is the only cap I could find online. But there are tons of questions just like these)

>> No.7146766

Worked there for a couple months as a renovations worker make new fixtures and shit. Hated my job because I got 0 sleep (9pm to 8 am-ish every day basically) but the pay was extremely good. They demoted me tho to min wage and 4 hours a fucking week from 40 when the store "reopened new". Anywho, the only real experience with fuckfaces was when i had to babysit a something-addict since she always came in, shot up in the bathroom by herself or with a friend and then went "shopping" only to steal little shit like gel pens and glitter shakers from the stationary section.

Heed >7146637 's advice. My managers consisted of one bipolar witch who was the "Store manager" who clearly hated her life and brought it out on others. Yelp is riddled with stories about her chasing after legit customers and thinking they were stealing. My favorite was her yelling at a worker and making her cry.
The second manager is a 30-something dried up twat of a woman who hates her life too and decided her life towards art consisted of talking nice to your face then nasty behind your back or just overall acting like a passive aggressive bitch. It was nice getting no direction from our renovations manager then having the both of them walking around in the morning pointing and saying "put it back" when our managers that night told us to put that fixture there. Frustrating.

tl;dr some stores are awesome, some aren't. Get into framing if you want decent hours but customers are shitty all around :]

>> No.7146768

>>7146765
Where is the "you can't buy a partial can of coffee, RETARD" option?

>> No.7146769

>>7146758
no, I work at a super store! So I really only cut or walk the floor (select stores are testing having a dedicated floor associate who just helps customers) . I get to talk to customers a lot, and i'm really good with people so I actually generally enjoy myself at work!

>> No.7146771

>>7146765
wtf is 20?

Maybe I'm just delirious from lack of sleep, but that question makes no sense.

>> No.7146772

>>7146769
Ugh I wish there were more supper stores close by to work for. The nearest one is 35 minutes away when the freeway isn't congested, which is never. You don't magically happen to work for one in the SF bay area do you?

>> No.7146776

>>7146771

>> No.7146779

>>7146771
8.50. It's a pattern, I'm guessing.
What's number 13? I can't figure that one out..
Might try this just for kicks, although it seems more like a test than an application. I've never seen one like it before.

>> No.7146780

>>7146772
No I'm in CT, so basically the exact opposite of that, haha.

>> No.7146781

Former cashier at this fucking store. I thought it would be fun since it's an art store, right?

Customers can get away with so much shit at this store. One claimed she gave me $10 in cash more than she actually did. The till was pretty empty since it was early in the shift and the bills in there didn't add up to what she gave me, but my suck up of a manager gave her money out of the register anyway. The whole time she was smirking at me and I was crying and considering of walking out and in front of a car. OP probably is serious about wanting to die.

Also, a lady with two carts came through my register. I could smell her from feet away and I had to ring her up without gagging. Of course, my coworkers were laughing.

The holiday season was hell. I had so many scratches from wreathes and splinters from baskets. I actually didn't mind the glitter, but it got everywhere.

The nicest people were the old ladies. We chatted about yarn and knitting projects. The worst was my fucking manager, who was kind and intimidating at the same time. Intimidating in a threatening way.

>> No.7146789

Two small stories from Jo-Ann's working there for a bit, it's just a small store so luckily I don't get bored and do a bit of everything.
>Lady comes to counter to check out
>Long ass fuckin line behind her
>She ends up having 133 individual pieces of cardstock paper
>mfw I have to scan every one individually with a long line
>Ring her up, total is $23.68
wtf

>Get girl who seems nice enough in line late at night, tell her I have used one of the patterns she is buying and it's pretty nice fit wise
>She tells me she is in to Steampunk
>I tell her I cosplay
>Big mistake
She gets progressively weirder as I continue ringing her up, talking about how she is new to the area and doesn't have any friends, then tells me she is gonna look me up on facebook just from my name tag. 'Don't be alarmed if a stuffed animal friend requests you!'
OMFG what have I done

>> No.7146795

>>7146740
Why not move to a backwater hole in the wall town that is desperate for nurses if you're that desperate. Why in the hell would you go to retail?

>> No.7146798

>>7146686
>>7146671
Why don't they just set the price for $999.99 instead? Then it's still obvious it's discontinued, and nobody would battle to have it at that price? What a weird system.

>> No.7146802

>>7146798
Oh lord. I want this to happen now.

>> No.7146807

>>7146795
>desperate for job/money
>why don't you just move house???

i'm not even who you're talking to but that is the worst advice i've heard for a jobseeker

>> No.7146810

>>7146807

>No jobs here
>Jobs elsewhere

Wait, why is moving terrible advice?

>> No.7146813

>>7146810
Not that anon, but it costs money to move. That and leaving behind friends and/or family isn't an easy thing to do either.

>> No.7146814

>>7146781
>I was crying and considering of walking out and in front of a car

You are not cut out to be a cashier.

Or really to converse with other people, or leave the house.

Why would you start crying?
On topic, never worked at a craft store. But, I was a cashier at a grocery store for a few years. I basically just turned my brain off for my entire shift and spaced out. And I did everything in the easiest way for me. If something didn't ring up, I just threw it in the bag, if they had coupons for stuff they didn't buy, I just punched them in, and if they argued the price I changed it to whatever they said.

Less time I have to see any customer or call for a manager, the better.

>> No.7146815

>>7146810
moving is hella expensive

>> No.7146817

>>7146815

Not having a job is hella expensive.

>> No.7146821

>>7146638
I also used to work in framing and eventually had to quit because I would come home every day and seriously contemplate putting a gun in my mouth.

We had 4 people in the frameshop and we were also required to run the counter. we had to stop what we were doing in the back to help people at the counter, which usually resulted in a 2 week turnaround actually being a 5 week turnaround.

if they had given us someone to work the counter, or a break in the constant "50% off!" "60% off!" sales, we might have been able to function, but as it was, it was people yelling at us on the phone or in person while we thought about how the next person in line was going to eat up an hour of time that you desperately needed to finish a picture.

It got so bad one year at christmas that we had to pull midnight shifts off just to get caught up.

>> No.7146823

>>7146638
I also used to work in framing and eventually had to quit because I would come home every day and seriously contemplate putting a gun in my mouth.

We had 4 people in the frameshop and we were also required to run the counter. we had to stop what we were doing in the back to help people at the counter, which usually resulted in a 2 week turnaround actually being a 5 week turnaround.

if they had given us someone to work the counter, or a break in the constant "50% off!" "60% off!" sales, we might have been able to function, but as it was, it was people yelling at us on the phone or in person while we thought about how the next person in line was going to eat up an hour of time that you desperately needed to finish a picture.

It got so bad one year at christmas that we had to pull midnight shifts off just to get caught up.

>> No.7146836

>>7146736
i used to work retail. weirdest thing happened to me when i was in sales.
> be walking around floor like good zombie.
> person stops me for help i say my usual greeting speech bullshit.
> Customer asks for some stuff that we have in stock.
> Customer says "i need this for a costume im making"
> i ask if they cosplay.
> customer gets wide eyed and weebs out saying they have never met anyone else who knew what cosplay was.
> end up finding out they met me and group of friends at a local small con.
> find out person was stalking my friend in my group cuz she was in love with her cosplay.
> ask if we have a group page or if she can ad me on FB to meet my friend.
> i start panicking until she says "ill look you up steven"
> remember i borrowed coworkers name badge cuz i left mine at home.
> laughed and said yeah you can find me on there. (he doesn't have a facebook)
> avoided creepy chick adding on facebook. felt good and got a good survey out of the whole experience (our store uses a sticker system for credit on sales and mine was attached to the receipt)

also helped 2 porn actresses and 1 real actor at our store. shit was cash

>> No.7146840

>>7146836
>also helped 2 porn actresses

Can't leave that hanging. How did you know they were pornstars and was there any good story from it?

>> No.7146842

my sister worked here for a couple years and enjoyed it as first because it got her back into arts and crafts and employee discounts were nice.

then the company drama and bs took it's toll on her and it ended up stressing her out so bad she had to go to the hospital. she now works at dillards and loves it. she's a natural at customer service and retail and feels this company actually appreciates her.

>> No.7146852

>>7146842
>stressing her out so bad she had to go to the hospital

How does that work? I am kind of low strung, but what do you go to the hospital for? Seems more of a mental problem.

Side note, you guys take this stuff wayyyy too serious. Crying, talking about killing yourself, going to the hospital for stress. Settle down, who cares if an old lady yells at you for something stupid?

>> No.7146853

>>7146852
I dont know man, the combination of menial, unstimulating work, low pay and being treated like human garbage by strangers is amazingly depressing. Not to the point where I would ever contemplate suicide or anything like that, but I've done boot camp and had drill sergeants scream in my face and it was nowhere near as demoralising as retail.

>> No.7146854

>>7146852
people with sensitive systems don't deal well with stress, it could be a number of things. i work in retail right now and my manager just got 2 months of sick leave after numerous hopsital visits and tests for horrible stomach problems that they can't find a diagnosis for, and i'm pretty sure it's just from stress. it fucks your shit up, man.

>> No.7146855

>>7146853

Basic was the definition of menial, unstimulating work for the majority of it.

Marching, memorizing history you don't care about, cleaning in between tiles in the bathroom, hell the pay was even low since you didn't have any stripes yet.

The food was better though, other than that and being able to go home and sleep in my own bed, basic is a lot like retail.

Except, you don't have that end date to look forward to. Unless you count death.

>> No.7146858

>>7146853
jesus christ
i'm about to take a retail job for a church's charity resale working the register for my volunteer hours shit man i'm scared now should i just bail and pick up litter on the highway or what

>> No.7146861

>>7146854

Huh, well I guess apathy pays off for once.

>> No.7146867

>>7146858
I don't think church charity work will be as bad as normal retail jobs, religious people just might be less assholish...

>> No.7146875
File: 116 KB, 650x365, pacific-rim-new-jaegers-4thstringjaegers-02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146840
first porn actress was a funny story. her names lupita and shes kinda young looking
> Friend and I are restocking shelves during slow period. putting up random shit.
> chick comes up asking us if we had some product she needed to use.
> friend and i start looking for it.
> the chicks bf comes up asking if we were helping. then starts talking to us.
> he tells my friend and i to not stare at his girl cuz it freaks them out.
> friend is looking at me like HOLY SHIT DO YOU KNOW WHO SHE IS.
> I ask the dude am i supposed to know who she is?
> dude gets mad and is like thats lupe i bet you have fapped to her.
> friend blurts out "I knew i have seen her before"
> she comes back and heard the tail end of the convo.
> she apologizes for her bf says hes getting used to dating a porn actress.
> we give her the thing she came in for.
> friend says without thinking "i love your work. big fan"
> friend didnt even know what he was saying till he said it to her.
> i freeze. friend goes pale. her bf chuckles and she giggled at it.
> they left i died laughing in the aisle and our boss yelled at us asking why we were fucking around instead of helping customers or restock the shelves.

second story is less funny. more strange
>chick comes in asking for some help with random stuff. shes trying to look real fucking spy about shit.
> boss thinks shes stealing and sends me to talk to her.
> hi maam my names anon how can i help.
> she finally takes off her sunglasses and hat.
> see its a moderately good looking lady (normal for my area we are near the beach and a rich city)
> lady asking for some stuff for her work.
> ask her if its for stuff she sells
> says no i do video work.
> asks if stuff is water resistant.
> then asks if stuff is lube resistant
> son i am confuse.jpg
> she laughs and says "anon my name is blah i do porn."
> im like oh. get super awkward as i didnt know how to react
> super nice lady and says i should check out her work.

>> No.7146881

>>7146875
>first porn actress

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/04/adult-film-star-verifies-her-age-saves-fan-20-years-prison/

Was it this chick?

>second story

Did you check out her work?

>> No.7146884

>>7146881
>http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/04/adult-film-star-verifies-her-age-saves-fan-20-years-prison/

looks like her yes. ahha
good to see she makes sure fans arent arrested for her porn.

second porn actress i did check out her work. but was purely for scientific reasons.

>> No.7146901

>>7146736
There's a girl at the Michael Levine's at the fabric district that was super nice. I was shopping for my Yuki Kuran dress and was ordering roses from them, and she saw me pull out the artbook and started chatting to me about them. Once she saw the reference image, she pulled out the most perfect roses I needed, and she called me up recently to let me know they arrived.

It totally made my day.

>> No.7146924

>>7146901
I love the fashion district, but most of the other shops are run by older people who don't give a crap and just want to make a sell.

Most recent nerdy encounter was kind of interesting, although not exactly craft store related. My husband and I had stopped at a recycling center to turn in some stuff. I was wearing a Mario shirt and he was wearing a Megaman shirt. One of the employees remarked that we were "representing Nintendo" and he pulled out his ancient looking Nintendo controller wallet. Chatted with him a bit. Nice guy.

>> No.7147031

>>7146867
hahahahahh i see someone has never dealt with little old ladies fuming about gay marriage and the blacks and whores wanting abortions

>> No.7147032

I worked at Michaels for a few months. I started as a cashier, which I actually didn't mind that much. I've done customer service before and even though I know I did get asshole customers, I can't recall any time that was so memorable or infuriating that I dwelled on it too long.

Then I applied for and got "promoted" to Support Specialist, which is basically a long way of saying "bookkeeper". I counted the registers each morning to make sure none of our retard employees had short-changed or stolen money, kept tabs on custom framing orders, and put up price changes. It was alright, for a dollar above minimum wage, but what ended up making me quit was the management. You don't need/receive management training at Michael's, you just need to be there for a long time. So the management consisted of 3 megacunt CEMs and 1 queen cunt GM. The managers would constantly shittalk each other and employees to me and anyone else who would listen, and as soon as I did something they didn't like (which was always something I was SUPPOSED to be doing, like writing them and EVERYONE ELSE who was on a register that came up short into our records) they started pecking at me like the gossipy hens that they are. There was one guy who worked there, in framing, and he was the only one who stood up to these bitches and when they finally made me cry, at work (and I am not a pussy, nor was this my first experience in retail or office politics), he basically pulled me aside and told me not to let "those bitches" get the satisfaction of getting a reaction from me. I underwent a minor surgery during my time there and even though I was bleeding and in remarkable pain and told them so, they refused to let me go home. I was working a second job at the time too, and when I went in to that job after my morning at Michael's, they immediately turned me around and sent me back home until I could produce a doctor's note saying I was recovered and good to go. Fuck Michael's.

>> No.7147058

>>7146852
I worked as an overnight stocker at Walmart, and I've tried to 'accidentally' seriously injure myself at work, just so I could go home early. We're talking managers that lie to your face, insult you, try to make you keep working when you're puking in the store, and generally treat you worse than shit on the bottom of their shoe.
With retail, you either get a really good store, that treats you absolutely wonderful, or you get stuck in hell until they fire you or you walk out. There is no in-between. I've seen the most cheerful, kindest people end up stressed out wrecks from a few months in particularly terrible jobs.

>> No.7147073

>>7147058
walmart managers (At least anyone above department manager) are horrible people and i loathe them.

>> No.7147081

Used to work there when I was student to get the discount, about 10 years ago. I had three lip piercings which my manager had no problem with. I was stocking yarn one day and a woman tapped me on the shoulder from behind to get my attention. I turned around to ask, "How can I help you ma'am?" She picked up on my accent (a bit southern) and said "I can't believe a good southern girl like you can choose to look so disgusting." I just replied "Different folks, different strokes, ma'am." She then had the gall to ask where she could find the embroidery thread (which was right behind her) and I just said "Ma'am you may want to ask someone you feel is less repulsive."

Man, fuck that woman. Mind you this was in the general Baltimore MD area which is why my way of speaking stood out.

>> No.7147090

>>7146814
You're saying the other poster was not cut out to be a be cashier but you openly admit to workplace fraud? Not ringing in items because it's not easy for to ring up and throwing them in the bag with no transaction is FUCKING THEFT, YOU FUCK HEAD. I work with mediocre pieces of shit like you and they drive me crazy because they cut corners and therefore cause shit for all of the other employees. If you can't even process a simple grocery transaction, you may want to apply for disability because you might just be retarded.

>> No.7147093

>>7146807
Not entirely. Depending on the situation and country, money spent job seeking and relocation costs can be claimed on tax returns and some of that money can be comped. Assuming the government isn't still shut down and we haven't all eaten each other by that time.

>> No.7147099

I work there. It's not too bad.
Since I was hired, I have been on the closing shift because I have a full time day job as well. That kind of sucks, but I would rather close than stock in the mornings.
But people need to control their fucking children. Seriously. Letting them tear down all the flowers and items they think are interesting and then just throwing it on the floor is so fucking annoying.

Getting this job at Michael's wasn't super easy either since I had to constantly bother the management like "Hey, saw you're still hiring. Put in my application a couple weeks ago. I would be able to start right away." They called me back after about a week of that and everyone is really happy that their is another person to help with everything. We are super undermanned. Shit is cray.

As for being crafty or whatever, it's only me and the flower lady who do any sort of crafts. I've been the go to person for advice from my coworkers cause no one else has a fucking clue what customers are trying to ask.

I spent 10 minutes the other day trying to explain what a hot glue gun was to a Russian lady.

>> No.7147203

>>7146765
...I applied to there a few months ago and it definitely was not like that, what the fuck.

>> No.7147223

>>7146852
Could be a combo of exhaustion and neurotic breakdown. I had something similar happen when the grocery I worked at decided to run four complicated promotions at once, each with its own spiel and issues (one involved a free holiday turkey and people would use each other's codes to steal them), the day before Christmas, and with the worst manager imaginable (she was taking out her anger at working the holidays on us and was literally spitting yelling and in front of customers too) in addition to them giving me twice as long hours and even breaking my shifts up in weird ways to get away with it by union rules. I actually really liked that job but that whole week was awful and Christmas Eve was the last stras I guess. My mom came over cus I wasn't answering the phone and found me shaking, crying, and only semi-lucid on the kitchen floor. Exhaustion due to lack of sleep, dehydration, and inadequate breaks to eat anything combined with stress induced breakdown.

>> No.7147226
File: 43 KB, 500x695, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146765
I applied there and I'll admit, I didn't finish the application cause the format startled me a little bit

>> No.7147227

>>7147031
In a retail situation? Where the fuck you from?

>> No.7147230

>>7146814
I was already slightly stressed and wasn't expecting that as the second transaction of the day. Can't I cry once in a year and a half? Never had any problems other than that.

Changing the price to what they wanted? My manager would have allowed it in front of the customer, but still fire me after the shift was done.

>> No.7147233

>Friend pesters me to apply to the Jo-Ann's she's at since I'm looking for a job
>Immediately after I finish the application all I hear from her is bitching about the place
>Just today someone apparently hassled her for "not cutting fabric straight enough" even though she did.

Is it going to be worse for me since I'm a guy?

>> No.7147242

>>7146679
if you of working age and can't get a job in a retail, you fail at life. Especially right now with the holidays rolling in and everyone needing extra employees. As a manager of a retail store, most people who apply and whine they don't have jobs are the ones who don't go to school and don't have any obligations, yet their availability is ass (yea, like I'm gonna hire you and worry about your WoW raiding schedule or whatever.) If you tell me its because of school/church/something that matters, then yea, I'll work with your schedule. The complainers also come in looking likes weebs and are awkward as fuck. And shower. Oh god how many people have come in and it's obvious their hair hasn't been washed in god knows how long. Fucking shower before an interview. You just gotta apply the fuck out of everywhere and ask to personally turn in the app to the manager and try to be polite and nice to them. I've given most of my interviews to people who actually give enough fucks to do that.

sage for not being a michael's story.

>> No.7147243
File: 260 KB, 640x360, tatami-f-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Christ, reading these stories makes me hate my shitty office job just a little bit less.

How the fuck do you people do it?

>> No.7147253

>>7146852
Except that these are not isolated incidents.

People treat you like garbage your whole shift, 6 hours or so of bullshit and people treating you like a company dog and vent their anger out on you, and unlike real life, you can't fight back or walk away.

You are seen as less than a person and are merely a register monkey, good luck getting breaks and you'll have to ask boss man to go piss.

Shitty old women, entitled hoodrats, bitchy middle aged moms with nothing better to do... put up with their shit all day and pretend to be nice to them. Everyone treats you like less than a person.

Now times this every day, or just about, for a few years.

Anyone who says "suck it up" or that you're just weak has never worked on a register or in retail. I sucked it up for a year until I just couldn't take it anymore.

Still there because no other choice.

>> No.7147254

>>7146779
Its supposed to be S for Slogan. I had to look that one up after I was done because I was so fucking confused.

>> No.7147255

>>7146765
I forget what store it was, but this one app I did had these awful CG animated videos of hypothetical encounters with customers and "what would you do if this happened?". It was so fucking corny and took forever.

>> No.7147258

>>7147253
Even if you have nice customers I guarantee they are all probabbly half retarded, such is the general public.

I check out up to 1000 people a day, my shift average is about 700
You say the same thing over and over and the people all have the same problems and excuses.
Which button for credit?
I left my cupoun at home.
My phone died can I get a discount
Hey that item didn't ring up on sale
I want to speak to your manager

Every day
Every customer.
700 times a day.
6 days a week.
2 years.

>> No.7147285

>>7146810
I can add into this a little. Not only is moving expensive, but a lot of good job opportunities are gotten though networking rather than just simply applying. Not all, but many. Unless you're really good at making friends (or have some in the area you're planning to move to), have a job lined up and enough cash to get you moved, its usually not a safe idea.

>> No.7147286

>>7147258
oh god, i feel you

my favorites are the ones who say they left their coupon at home but would like a discount anyway. general protocol at my store is to dig out an old coupon and give them the discount, but they always have a look on their faces like they pulled off a heist and i'm their accomplice.

>> No.7147294

>>7147286
People will lie. People will find old ads on the floor with the cupouns ripped out and declare someone stole them.
People will steal ads from under the register with the barcodes crossed out and it says "void, reg.1 copy"
Like wtf you dumb whore I WORK HERE.

>> No.7147296

>>7146598

I went to apply at Michael's once... but if I recall correctly, they have a ridiculously huge survey you have to complete. Was that right OP?

>> No.7147301

>>7146852
>old lady yells at you

Id say just start walking away. I work retail and I've been threatened like...two times. Once by an old woman and once by a group of girls (who thought I said "watch her" when I had actually said "are you gonna help her" to my co worker).
I've long stopped taking peoples shit, if they get rude just walk the fuck away and let management know.
While yes, retail helps you gain some respect for others who work retail...I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to do it. Shit sucks and if I had a nickle for every time a customer tried to curse me out, get me to lower the price of an item, get free shit, get mad because they can't return a pair of dirty fuckn shoes for store credit, and blow their top off because we were all busy helping people and they got pissed because we didn't say "one moment please"...Id have enough to get into lolita.

But seriously, just because they're a customer does not mean you have to take abuse. From anyone. I have a manager who sits on her overweight ass all day and is practically 20%work 80%lazyfuck, she sits in the stockroom all day even when its busy. She doesn't clock out for breaks and etc. Coworkers and I are planning to set up a camera...but we also think she's fuckn the DM so...
Yea. Don't take the abuse, from anyone.

>> No.7147303

>>7147227
No, previous poster was talking about a church sale.

>> No.7147315

>"would you like a bag?"
>"no, save a tree."
>the bag in my hand is plastic

after about the fifth time it stops being funny

>> No.7147324

>>7147296
Not OP but just did this two days ago.
Yeah. There's a weird test you take that's timed. Like a weird Pseudo IQ test. Then 12 pages of how much do I agree with the following statement about myself questions that repeat themselves over and over again.

>> No.7147329

>>7147090

Theft of a can a soup, whoopy. If they paid me more than minimum wage or ever gave me a raise, I will start giving a shit about correcting other people's jobs.

Other people who are getting paid real money and just sit upstairs playing on a computer.

>> No.7147334

I work at a Michaels warehouse.

I don't have to deal with people, my boss isn't a dick, and I make more than I would working retail.

Plus I still get that sweet discount.
Other than the physically demanding nature of it, I love my job.

>> No.7147336

I have worked at Michaels, Joanns, and Mood Fabrics.

Michaels was awful. The management was way worse than the customers. I worked in custom framing, which was was 99% of the time - but when the district manager came though? Better fucking hide. She made people work overtime with no overtime pay (the store she did this to actually won a suit against Michaels for this, but did she get fired? Nope. Not even demoted).

Joanns was pretty great. I worked at a superstore, again in framing. My managers were awesome. Gave me the max pay they could by company standards ($10 / hour), every day off I asked for, etc. Everyone that worked there was happy because they actually treated us like humans.

Continued...

>> No.7147340

>>7147301

I just call for the manager, then basically ignore them.

Realistically, if they are bitching about something they will probably ask to talk to them anyways. Let them talk to someone who is getting paid enough to fake being concerned.

>> No.7147342
File: 22 KB, 667x270, nopenopenope.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7147336
Mood was... oh god. The worst out of all of them. I worked there for 3 years, and the owners just got progressively more crazy and greedy. They implemented a strict sales quota on us after I had been there for a year and a half, and if you didn't meet it (regardless of how much traffic the store was getting... we were VERY slow during the holidays because people aren't buying fucking designer fabric a week away from Christmas) you got written up and possibly fired. They gave me shit when I needed to take an emergency trip home to visit my mother, who had just been diagnosed with brain cancer. Wouldn't let me go home for Christmas. Denied my requests for SDCC time off two years in a row but let others take the same weekend off repeatedly. Whenever the owners would come visit my store, they would scream at everyone about sales numbers (we can't control the traffic coming into the store, maybe you should stop being cheap and buy some ad space?) and threaten to fire all of us. They also talked shit about how I didn't "dress nice". I am schlepping fabric, climbing on ladders, and teaching sewing classes all day. I am wearing jeans and nice sneakers. Fuck you for wanting me to wear heels "like the other sewing teacher, she always dresses nice". Not to mention standing on their concrete floor with no fatigue mats gave me chronic pain in my hips and abdomen.

The cherry on top? My side work had been growing a lot (I am now a self-employed seamstress), so I asked to have my 5-day work week reduced to 4 days. They hated that I had other work than their store, and instead dropped me to 2 days a week before laying me off about a month later.

Oh, and in my over-three-years of working there? Never a raise.

Don't shop at that hellhole unless you are absolutely desperate.

>> No.7147370

>>7147336
>She made people work overtime with no overtime pay

Why is this so fucking common? I'm Walmart anon from above, and if we had overtime, management would either tell us to take the time off in the computer, or they would take it off without telling us. We could get fired if we had overtime, and refused to take it off. Since our lunch was unpaid time, they would tell us to just take a longer lunch hour to even out the hours, but since we would still have to finish all our work on time, or they would yell about that.

Retail is fucking shit, I swear.

>exteeday evils
Damn right it's evil.

>> No.7147383

>>7147370

I really hope someone went to the labor board about this. Pulling that kind of shit can get them in HUGE trouble.

>> No.7147392

>>7147242
i know plenty of people who are willing to work hard if they can get a job, and plenty of people who keep getting jobs who utterly suck at them.

>> No.7147396

>>7147255
those videos always boil down to "kiss their ass, or get the manager to kiss their ass"

>> No.7147398

>>7147329
Maybe they would pay you more if they didn't see that you were completely checked out and doing a shitty job, did you ever think of that you twit? Even if it's a shitty McJob, the way to get respect and time off approval and raises is to show management that you're doing your job and doing it well, so long as it's not one of the horror story places in this thread in which case it doesn't make a difference but you should still do your job, that they're paying you to do, the right way. You're not a slave. You sound like an entitled high schooler who thinks that every job is below them and therefore they don't have to lift a finger.

>> No.7147403

>>7147370
Doesn't Walmart also flip the hell out if employees don't take their breaks at pre-determined times to the minute?

It's common because companies can get away with it; people need the hours so they'll work regardless just to get any sort of pay, and the company stalemates their employees by only paying out minimum wage in the first place, so they trap their employees in a cycle of abuse and control.

>> No.7147404

>>7147383
I doubt it, since one of my coworkers told me about how he got fired from a previous Walmart for not taking off hours. They get away with so much, and everyone knows it.

>> No.7147412

>>7147398

Not saying what you said doesn't have merit (it does), but I've never heard of a part-time retail job that doesn't have a pay cap (and it's usually less than $10), so the whole "work harder and put more effort in, and you'll get a raise!" doesn't always apply. You can be working the same job for 5 years, and literally be the best ever at it, with the most upbeat personality, and still be making the same as when you started just because of corporate policies.

>> No.7147409

>>7147340
>paid enough
Word. 8.50 is not enough to give a fuck and get called names.

>> No.7147419

>>7147403
>Doesn't Walmart also flip the hell out if employees don't take their breaks at pre-determined times to the minute?

Yeah. I was overnight, and our breaks were at 12 AM, and 5 AM, fifteen minutes each. Sometimes I would have to skip my five break so I could get all my freight off the floor and to the back on time so they could bin it, and one time, one of my coworkers saw me in the break room at about six, and said that I can get in a lot of trouble for "wasting company time," even though I had not had an earlier break. The thing is, they don't tell us officially what time our breaks or lunches are, so you just have to figure it out on your own.

>> No.7147438

>>7147412
Especially in retail, they usually want older people for higher positions. The only job anyone under 21 could get and be management is like...Laser Quest. That and, lets be honest, not everyone who comes into retail wants to work in upper management. They just want a paycheck, not become employee of the year at... Old Navy or Pottery Barn.

But I am more interested in how much you all earn a paycheck and how much you set aside for costumes.

>> No.7147447

I have a Joanns story.

A local lolita works at one of the Joanns in my area. She is nice enough and we know each other outside of the store obviously. But sometimes I come in there super last minute trying desperately to get the zipper that I forgot for a dress I want to wear the next day, or I need just this one thing and I'm in a rush, etc, and god help me if this girl is in the store. She wants to chat to me while I am literally running through the store trying to get everything before they close and kick me out. ALWAYS. I mean when you aren't at work, lets chill girl and talk, but when you are, can you please just do your job or at least don't hinder me as I try to make purchases?

>> No.7147446

>>7147412
To be fair though, I never said it was a universal situation, but you can't deny that if there were raises to be had, and there was Miss "who gives a shit they don't pay me enough for this crap" or the employee who actually does even the bare minimum of company standards, the workplace fraud girl is going to get passed over. It's a very immature, entitled way of looking at things to think you're below any job. You obviously applied there for a reason, and especially if that reason was ONLY "I need money", you have no room to bitch about how they're not paying you enough. They ARE paying you, and it was enough when they told you that you were hired, but now suddenly you're actually having to *gasp* ring up customers! and it's not worth it? Then go the fuck somewhere else, god knows there's a ton of people out there who would fall all over themselves to JUST have to ring people up and get minimum wage to do it.

>> No.7147450

>>7147409
I make 10.25 an hour for minimum wage (Ontario) and that's still not enough to make me give a fuck.

>> No.7147451

>>7147446
er, *above any job
I hope you got what I was going for there. Also sorry for the rant, I just hate working with people like that so much, my jimmies got a bit rustled.

>> No.7147491

>>7147255
Oh man Macys had this as part of their training. Literally the entire extent of my training was sitting in a dark room on a computer for three days watching these, pretending to work the register, and answering true or false questions while a cartoon Barbie babbled at me. Once I finished they sent me out on the floor with no further training and into a section I hadn't even been hired for.

>> No.7147496

I was a cashier for a while before I got promoted to changing prices and printing new labels. The biggest change was my schedule. I'd work 3-8 several days where my former hours were 4-close and for those of you who don't know, close could be anywhere from 9pm to 1am depending on the time of year.

At the end of my shift, I would always ask the MOD if they would like for me to stay later and help with the store cleanup. They always wanted me to but never asked me to until I asked if they wanted help. I usually ended leaving with everyone else, even if it was 12am on a school night.

By the time midterms rolled around in March, I decided that I wanted to leave when I was actually scheduled to so I could get plenty of sleep and make it to my 8am classes on time for reviews and exams. There store isn't horrible looking at the end of the day and the Easter rush won't start for a while, so I figured they could deal without me helping for two weeks. When my coworkers find out about this, they flip their shit. The older women tried to whisper to each other and went dead silent when I came around and the one guy is suddenly acting like a dick to me.

The drama and nastiness towards me got so bad and continued even after midterms that I ended up just snapping one night and walking out of the store. I wish all the spilled paint, glitter, and ink on those people.

No customer stories, though, unless anyone wants to hear about the time I had a panic attack on the short ladder on Black Friday because women kept getting mad at me for the ribbon they wanted being out of stock.

>> No.7147521

Working in retail is fucking terrible in general.

>> No.7147546

>>7146852
I've been working retail for over 5 years. I worked my way up to management but had to step down.

What nobody knows about it is, I had to step down because I had actually become an alcoholic and was probably going to go kill myself if it kept going on.

I couldn't tell you what it is that drives many people to that breaking point. I guess it's just the repetition and never feeling like you've accomplished anything. It's the constant being bitched at on both ends: customers bitching, managers bitching, coworkers bitching, etc. It's the being treated like less than shit by everybody (manager expects you to work a 16 hour shift because the same guy called out the 5th time in the same week, and you're supposed to be all smiles through your whole shift).

The public is fucking crazy. They will try anything to get a discount, something for free, or just to cause a scene/ treat somebody like crap so that they can feel better about themselves. I was threatened to be arrested by a customer who claimed I stole her money because her Home Depot Giftcard didn't work... turns out that the Home Depot store she went to didn't swipe the card correctly and the money was on there the whole time. She called the cops on me and two cops questioned me in front of the entire store over this!!

It's shit like that which makes you want to go jump in front of a train. And it's not isolated incidents. It's 9 hours a day, sometimes ALL day, of bullshit like this.

>> No.7147551

I have some reverse-examples, most of these happened a while ago so I haven't seen any of these people working at the local Michaels...Wouldn't be that surprised if they were fired honestly.

>starting art classes at college
>receive supplies list and stop at Michaels
>get some sketchbooks and approach register
>one cashier, line is getting larger
>recognize the cashier as some high-maintenance fruit from school
>line is pretty damn big, he's not buzzing for assistance
>cashier for the next shift walks in the door
>guy clocks out and books it right as she steps in (with customers at the register), leaving this chick flailing around by herself trying to get her shit together and deal with the gigantic line

>stop at Michaels after leaving the gym
>find a nice pencil box in the clearance items
>doesn't ring up at the reg, cashier gives me the stink eye
>"Oh, just let me check that spot to see if it was misplaced" (I'm also in retail)
>Nope, stack of more cases is there with clearance sticker and no other items in site
>Bring them all up to the register with the sticker
>"Well these were all in the same spot with this sticker so if you want to move them somewhere else..."
>Cashier gives a loud huff, rolls eyes and rings them ALL up with the clearance sticker price
>Leave with mixed feelings and some really nice pencil boxes

>> No.7147560

>>7147551
>no other items in site
Meant in sight, though I guess it can go either way.

>Making another post-gym Michaels run
>find a big frame/trophy display on clearance
>carry it over to the register area
>old bag working it is standing to the side conversing with someone else
>I wait
>and wait
>she's seriously not moving after five minutes
>walk over to them, the thing is so big it's blocking half my face while holding it
>Ask if she can cash me out, she glares, continues her conversation and finally walks over

>> No.7147583

>>7146716

i worked at Kohl's too, i started out sales floor but moved to cashier its just so easy and you get more money when you sell credits. a lot of weird stuff happens on the floor, one time this drunk guy peed in a vase. another time a lady broke a glass vase, and put gave me a handful of shards and asked me to throw it away while i was carrying a vaccum from the back for a customer. of course there are the occasional hoodlums you have to kick out, the thing i hated most though were those lists customers would bring it with a bunch of codes on it of items they needed for their wedding. you go to the back looking for the stuff and making calls, after you find some of it you go back and they're not even there anymore!

>> No.7147588

Those stuck up upper middle class bitches who buy stuff for their buniess (always big frames) and nag about their tax exempt because they think you are a retard and will tax them anyways.

>> No.7147599

>>7147588
We had some church group come in one evening and threaten to call corporate because they didn't want to pay taxes on their $400-something Foamies haul. Doesn't matter what church you're with, you pay taxes.

>> No.7147607

>>7146618
THIS, THIS, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. I can't tell you how many some autist/trailer trash/ idiot has come up to my register with 3 baskets worth of FUCKING BEADS, asked me to price check ALL OF THEM, and decided to buy maybe a total of 10. Thank God I work at Gamestop now. As soon as I got that offer I finally got to cut loose, tell the customer what I really thought of them, and quit. Great moment.

>> No.7147619
File: 60 KB, 1179x421, ikea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146598
ikea person here, it's actually a pretty crafty job if you want it to be. They always throw little inter-work sewing competitions using our fabric, or "ikea hack" competitions. They also give away power tools paint and other random stuff to their employees all the time. If you want a creative job that isn't mostly horrific i would suggest it. The customers are always really angry though so that kinda sucks.

>> No.7147620

going to read all this later but let me just chime in for a moment

I used to work for the new york city store. Mind you new york has no other crafts stores like joanns and EVERYTHING is over priced in Manhattan. So as a customer I find this store CHEAP compared to what other options I have. I go there for spray paint and bring my coupon. The dollar items are also good and I'm not those greedy bitches who complain about ten cents,

Anyways I didn't like the job but it was one of the best ones I've ever had. Pay was great. We didn't need to have managers check our big bills or approve returns or pat us down for stolen goods and I was always swamped with 40+ hours. Although that might be different now that it's been a while I worked for them. But yes, nyc is a busy place and we get a lot of people in but they still only ever staff like five people so no one is ever on the floor. You end up doing like three jobs at once.

Cosplay wise the only thing I buy from them is spray paint, glue and a few small things. they are no way good for fabric and sewing goods. For lolita they are great for ribbon... that could also be because ribbon in the fashion district is over price.

>> No.7147652
File: 834 KB, 613x611, work.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I work at Joanns and I would much rather have a shift at the register all day then the cut counter. The cut counter is the worst place in the store. You get everything over there: cheap Indian people who make bring up 20 bolts of fabric and only buy one thing with their entire family of ten, rude old ladies, idiot teenagers for Homecoming week, people who have never made a costume before and expect you to walk them step by step how to make their elaborate costume a week before Halloween, fucking tutus, people who expect you to know off the top of your head how much they need to reupholster their chair, cut and tie blankets, and the Pinterest crowd. Plus, they completely destroy fabric side, and the store I work at is almost always horribly understaffed when we close. I am not looking forward to our Halloween sale in two weeks.

>> No.7147665
File: 226 KB, 286x600, tumblr_munljlMX9p1r335lro1_400.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7147243
ikr

>> No.7147684

>>7147607
>Thank God I work at Gamestop now
I'm so sorry.

>> No.7147693

So questions for any Michaels's/AC Moore employees. I like to paint and I like high quality supplies, so I steal it a BUNCH.

Are the employees that dumn? Do they see and don't care? Or is it like Wal-Mart where they're told not to do anything unless it's super expensive?

>> No.7147695

>>7147684
...i was thinking of applying there, so i'm curious, what's the issue with it?

>> No.7147697

>>7147619
I actually really like Ikea and live fairly close to one but holy hell it is insanely busy on weekends. Like levels I had only ever seen on Black Friday at the mall. People ramming each other and snatching things out of carts and shit. What's up with that?

>> No.7147701

customers trash the store and then we have to stay past our required time to get it clean again its really shitty

>> No.7147704

>>7146690
The key is to move yourself. Start stepping away from the register and doing sales floor duties. More and more, do things that sales floor people would do. Eventually you'll just be reassigned and no one will think anything of it.

Trust me. The only way to get promoted/transferred at a job is to just do it yourself. If you wait for higher-ups it will never happen.

>> No.7147703

>>7147619
I have many friends who work at Ikea; the returns center, register, and the restaurant. They all hate it. Especially the restaurant.

>> No.7147708

>>7147693
Former michaels floor person here. We know how easy it is to steal shit. We were literally told not do do anything about it except ask if you need help with something. You could be shoving stuff in your purse in front of us and all we could do is ask if you'd like a basket. Even the managers couldn't really do anything.

>> No.7147710

>>7147599
idiots misunderstood that churches aren't taxed by the government for the donations they accept.

>> No.7147731

>>7147708
Only thing I get from that is that the markup is so insane on everything that they don't have to worry about stolen shit.

>> No.7147753

>>7147652
I saw the pile of fabrics and remnants growing at our tiny Joanns nearby. When does that stuff have time to go back if at all? Are there overnight shifts just for restocking?

And I got an interview with Jaonns once, got a really positive thumbs up from one manager but it was the other one that handled hiring and every time I called had some other reason why I had to call back. One odd thing I remember is he told me that team members aren't allowed to definitevly say how much or what a customer has to get to make something. It's a weird liability thing of you don't want the customer coming back and yelling at the manager because they were an inch off or an inch too much of something. You had to be super round-a-bout like "The pattern says that you will need 3.5 yards for this dress, but you might want another half yard just to be safe so...."

>> No.7147771

>>7146682
Seriously.
I was a cashier at an electronics store and almost lost my sanity. But got $10 an hour there when other retail places weren't paying that, and they worked around my school schedule, so I dealt with it as best I could. Such rude entitled customers.
The incident that stands out the most...
> Long ass line of customers
>half the people on register have stayed over an hour after they were scheduled to be off work (the supervisors at the time liked to not let you off register at the end of your shift if there was a long line)
>They're finally pulled off so they can count out their drawer
>dick guy in line gets sent to the person next to me register
>he's ranting and raving about how long it took to get checked out, we're taking to long, and why are all these cashiers standing off to the side instead of being on register
>tell him that they were supposed to go home over an hour ago and are finally getting to leave
>guy still bitches some more
>male customer next to him tells him to be quite and be patient like everyone else. That we're trying to get people checked out as fast as we can with the people we have.
>dick guy starts yelling at him, and nice guy starts yelling back
>these two getting into it right there at the registers
>dick guys challenges the nice guy to meet him in the parking lot and stomps away from the registers
>nice guy finishes and leaves too
>no idea if they actually fought out there

And then customers bitching about not being able to get a sale item they wanted (didn't get to the store in time before they sold out) and demanding similar items to be sold to them for the same price as the sale item.
The last day on that job was the happiest day of my life.

I'll have to be between a rock and a hard place with no way out before I work as a cashier again.

>> No.7147782

I worked replenishment for a year so it had me up there at 5:00 am and out by 10:30 on average.
the most I had to deal with was old bitter women because thats all that would be up that early.
It was unorganized as hell and miserable but it was my first job.
honestly I think it would be pretty exciting to meet other cosplayers as long as they weren't weeb.

>> No.7147780

>>7147412
Haha shit yeah. I almost think its worse what happens to me at my job. My boss has no idea what competitive raises are and I work really hard at my job to make our store look presentable. So she comes up to me, tells me I've been doing such a good job and she gave me a 2% raise. After calculating that out, I realized I was then making 3 dollars more a paycheck. whooppeeee. Even if I was working full time the pay difference would be about 10-15 dollars. That doesn't make much of a difference in my life tbh. So it feels rather pointless frankly just kinda ruins the experience for me, I'd have rather just been told I was doing a really good job.

>> No.7147784

>>7147771
And this crazy jump over the counter and punch this bitch in the face incident that happened to a friend of mine when we worked at a movie theatre:
>my friend is working the concession stand and gets a female customer who wants a pizza with her order
>tells customer there's no pizzas ready, but they can cook one and bring it to her in the movie she'll be watching
>bitch customer woman flips the fuck out and throws her whole bucket of buttered popcorn into my friend's face
>friend manages to stay calm while the woman storms off in a huff over not getting fucking pizza right when she wanted it

Job or no job, that bitch needed to have her face smashed into a wall. My friend finally told a manager a bit later and he told her that she should have gotten him right away because he would have made her apologize, clean up the mess, then kick her out of the theatre with no refund.

>> No.7147794

>>7147412
I used to work at Fry's Electronics, and part time cashiers could make up to $13 an hour max. It was based off of how much money you rang up between raise periods. So the ones that proved to be good and proved themselves to not mess up sales with the TV salesmen (the TV salesmen would personally bring their customers up to the registers and those transactions were a bit more complicated because of financing procedures the cashiers had to do. So they only liked taking them to cashiers on duty they knew wouldn't screw it up), could actually get the $13 an hour.
This was like 6 years ago though, so no clue if they still do that.

But yeah, it did have a cap at 13.

>> No.7147803

so does anyone have any jobs that aren't complete bullshit? I actually just quit michaels and dont want to be as miserable as I was there.

>> No.7147806

>>7147342
Sounds like a horrible place.

My management is OK (I work at a grocery store) but sometimes the CSM makes me use cashiers do the stupidesy shit. Like when it's slow, we have to stand in front of our registers, where there's no stress mat, despite the fact our safety manual says to never leave the stress mat unless you're doing something else. I fucking hate it when they make me do bullshit without actually giving us a good reason for it.

And ditto on pains. mine thankfully only comes and goes (mostly in my left hip and both knees).

>> No.7147814

>>7147652
What do the pinterest crowd do?

>> No.7147817

>>7146642
I don't even work at Michael's or Joann's and I've been yelled at by crotchety old women who insist I help them Seriously? I'm a customer, not a slave. :/

>> No.7147822

>>7147695
Not the same anon, but I used to work there and I thought it was terrible. Seasonal is really really great! But anything past that and you start getting into terrible territory. I used to have to work after the clock without pay or be docked hours come the next week for not being able to have the store look presentable upon opening in the 15 minutes I had to close. I was the only one who would really go through and tag the games we took in from people, but despite never working two days in a row, would get bitched at for leaving work unfinished from the day I didn't work. I've been "Called out" for talking not talking a customer, despite having talked to them, because I was "alphabetizing psp games" when I was putting back product from the front.
When I told our regional manager that I didn't know how to deal with dude customers being weird at times (looking for some advice) he said "oh" and then when I left the room he told my manager "She shouldn't be talking like that because it sounds like she doesn't want to work here" and he was apparently pissed at me.
I really liked my coworkers, and though up selling was hard while working in a mall (because no one in the mall is going to the mall specifically for gamestop) I was happy to get people things they actually wanted WHEN they actually wanted them.
But by the time I quit we were just starting to take in Ipods, and tablets. So you'll basically be taking in EVEN MORE stolen merchandise daily. You'll essentially work for a glorified pawn shop. I won't tell you to NOT work there. But the only thing that can make that job good is a really good manager. I had one for a while, but they got replaced and it went from kinda shitty but definitely tolerable, to "wow I think you're actually TRYING to get every single one of us to quit". Also, don't try to overachieve like I did. They won't promote you unless you're friends with the manager, and they'll expect WAY more out of you than should physically be possible.

>> No.7147831

>>7147652
WAS THAT FROM THIS WEEKEND. I'VE BEEN WORKING 10 HOUR SHIFTS JUST TO KEEP UP WITH RECOVERY IT'S INSANITY.

>> No.7147832
File: 2.00 MB, 240x180, 1377654006991.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7147782
>honestly I think it would be pretty exciting to meet other cosplayers as long as they weren't weeb.

I thought that too, but then I went in to Joann's one time with a friend of mine who I thought was fairly sane. When we got to the register the girl asked us what we were buying out fabric for and I said it was costumes, and she asked if it was for a con and I was like "yeah"
But then my friend pipes up "Oh, yeah, its for cosplay. I was in here last year for my [x] costume, do you remember?" I didn't know this girl. She didn't know this girl. AND YET this is what she thought was okay to just expect of a complete stranger.
I really feel for you guys that work at fabric stores.

>> No.7147836

>>7146867
I don't know how they are in retail places, but church people sure are crappy tippers at restaurants.

>> No.7147839

>>7147836
They're real dicks at drivethrus too.

>> No.7147841

>>7147836
their motto is " I wont tip you more than I tip jesus."

>> No.7147842

I was hired to be a Discover Instructor at my "local" Michaels.
>Respond to ad looking for knitting/crochet instructor
>Be good at and happy to teach both of those things
>Have wonderful interview with the oh so kind manager of the store.
>Get hired.
>Yay!
>The minute I try to ask for any information, everything changed from awesome and exciting to painful and worrisome
>Being as this is my current job, and have not done any business with current job, I have not earned any money and literally cannot afford to travel there every time I ask a question, so I try to call.
>I try to call, leave a message.
>Try to call, leave a message.
>Finally get a call back from the manager and call her back as soon as possible.
>I am not an assertive human being and hated all of this phone tag, feeling like I've done a horrible job when I haven't even been called in, taught, oriented, or anything hospitable, that I assume generally occurs for newhires in most new jobs
>Finally go in with my mother as moral support, bless her heart
>The manager yells at me for not being around, and ignores everything I say about calling and not being able to get ahold of her. So much for the nice lady at the interview.
>I finally get some semblance of what is expected of me and set up a class.
>No one shows up.
>Stay for the full time working on samples and hoping someone might see my pitiful self and come ask me about classes, because I really just want to teach people.
>Several employees walk by, see me, and smile and stuff
>Go home, whatever. I'll try again, things happen.
>Schedule another class. Three people come! Yay! Try my best to teach them.
>One woman actually brings a "How-To-Knit-Book" with her and double-checks everything I say. Yay...

>> No.7147871

>>7147842
>Finally get some basic information and schedule some fun holiday-themed classes so people can make easy, finish-able gifts and things, working on the skills required of the classes
>Give them to the scheduling lady.
>Spend two days finishing all of my samples. I'm really ready for everyone.
>Go in for my scheduled class.
>No one shows up.
>I stay there and work on a project, hoping the same thing as before.
>Asst. Manager walks by and asks if anyone showed up.
>The class was supposed to start and hour before, you tell me.
>She says I'm not supposed to be in the store if I don't have students.
>1-how am I supposed to know if I'll have students, 2-thanks for the info and making me feel bad about something I didn't even know, 3-maybe you can help me know what I'm supposed to do??????
>Turns out I'm supposed to check in with students, fill out forms and things, and organize store binders. THINGS I WAS NEVER TOLD. I guess I was just expected to understand all of this hidden bureaucracy psychically or something.
>Seem to get an understanding about the store, I guess, and the Asst. Manager seems really upset at the Manager for basically not telling me anything. Great! She's on my side. Great. Inner store drama.
>At this point still haven't received my payment for the class I did teach.
>Turns out Michael's uses some sort of card system and I never received my cash card thing, nor was I briefed on how to use it.
>Keep scheduling classes, and preparing for them.
>People keep not showing up (though I know now to call the night before to know whether to come in or not)
>At this point all this seems like a major waste of my time.
>Turns out the scheduling lady hadn't been posting any of my classes on the calendar.
>FML

>> No.7147872

>>7147871
>I am a responsible human being who is quite skilled at what I was hired to do, and the people working there made me feel worthless, and stupid.
>I will never recommend the store to anyone again.
>PLUS! Who would pay $25 + supply costs per lesson when you can watch them for free on YouTube?!

Needless to say, terrible, terrible people, and a terrible, terrible experience for me.

>> No.7147882

>>7147695
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS_s9gyjYcQ

>> No.7147906

>>7147703
I am a customer service lacky. I mostly work in Furniture pick-up but I have worked every cs job (cash, returns, day-care, greeter, & delivery) cash sucks but I think that's w/any job. I actually kinda like returns but I have an amazing amount of patience. It also depends what store you work at of course I hear that the NY stores are horrendous.

>> No.7147909

>>7147817
dude, tell them to eat your balls.

>> No.7147914

>>7147697
I honestly have no idea. I think it's because most of our customers are office workers and only have weekends off, also because most people spend their whole day at the store, on avg at least 2 hours.

>> No.7147917

I used to be a sample bitch at Sam's Club. Doing steak samples was the worst because you'd always have clever old men saying "I WANT IT WELL-DONE WITH MASHED POTATOES". first off, you don't cook a ribeye to well-done, you stupid asshole. i finally got sick of that and would snarkily reply "23.50, please". we definitely also had at least one guy who would just stand by your cart and "chat" (talk at you about how the cook at the local diner killed himself in the bathroom) while eating half your samples and being creepy. then i was able to transfer to a vendor position, and for extra cash spent a weekend helping sell samsung TVs at walmart. instead i ended up being the electronics employee that can't really help by telling people what smart TVs were, the difference between DVD and blu-ray, and finding them ethernet cables and analog signal convertors, because walmart only has 3 people at a time working electronics, photo, toys, craft/fabric counter, and layaway.

>> No.7147924

>>7147871
Those card things are such a rip-off. There's been 'exposes' but basically hidden fees, insane fees to get cash with the card, fees for going over limit, fees for using at ATMs, fees for using as debit and not credit, fees for not using it often enough, etc etc etc. To all my retail people: DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THOSE PAYCHECK CARDS.
www nytimes com/2013/07/01/business/as-pay-cards-replace-paychecks-bank-fees-hurt-workers.html?_r=0

>> No.7147936

>>7146789
>have to ring up items one by one
Jesus fuck do all shitty craft retail chain stores use outdated as fuck registers?`

>> No.7147945

>>7147924
Definitely this.
Try to go open a bank account first so you can use direct deposit. Use these cards as an absolute last resort. Like 'you have a shit life and no bank will take you' last resort.

>> No.7147946

>>7147803
i work for Whole Foods. as far as retail goes, it's not too bad (and you start at $10/hr and get pretty decent benefits). i've worked in a few different stores and my coworkers (including my bosses) are chill.

>> No.7147967

My sister once went to use the register and cut her fingers, finding out there was broken glass all over it. Her manager wouldn't let her clean it cos there was a customer waiting, so she very carefully had to finish the sale while bleeding all over the register.

Also my sister goes to /cgl/ and we live in different counties, so if you're reading this sis, yes I stole your story and yes I miss you

>> No.7147993

>>7147753
Not that anon but I used to work at a really big JoAnn ETC near a mall. There are overnight stock crews but the cutting counter isn't their responsibility, only new shit in off the semi trucks. Managers always everyone stay late to do fabric putback and would only let people leave early if they were part-timers going to hit 40 hours. Cashiers were forced to stay and help no matter how inept. My store was especially terrible about cripplingly understaffing us so staying an hour past the designated half hour for cleanup was a regular thing. I worked frame shop and still had to help the cutting counter every closing shift. Any downtime cutting counter employees had throughout the day, they were sent to register or to do non-fabric returns on the floor. Then managers would bitch at everyone for not having fabric putback done. Nightmare fuel.

Frame shop would have been fucking amazing if I was making better than minimum wage and didn't have to pick up the rest of the store's slack. The people back there were cool and it was long stretches of antisocial, satisfying work interrupted by short bursts of working with people who were usually really excited about picking out frames for a piece they loved. Corporate bullshit and mistreatment by managers fed me up eventually. Federal minimum wage increases were actually outpacing my raises.

>> No.7148002
File: 43 KB, 730x548, this bullshit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7147814
>What do the pinterest crowd do?

Mostly want to make things but have no idea how to do it, expect you to be crafting guru willing to walk them through it. Hordes of people coming in for the same item telling me about the same pinterest project thinking they're really clever. Last halloween was the loofahcolypse. We often had 2 or 3 girls in the cutting counter line at the same time with tulle and thick rope. The best part was asking how much yardage they needed and seeing the same 'ok brace yourself this is going to be REALLY clever' face before telling me they were going to be a bath loofah and they saw it on pinterest. It got to the point where everyone at the cutting counter had decided on a yardage and would just tell white girls with tulle how much they needed to become the bath accessory of their dreams.

I wonder how many halloween parties had more than one loofah at them?

>> No.7148003

>>7148002
>they all have eyeshadow to match their tulle

grose

>> No.7148022

>>7148002
These be so dumb lookin' broads. Like everything on pinterest. Makes me fucking sick. The pinterest crowd is ridiculous.

>> No.7148027

>>7148002
What the fuck is up with green's eyeshadow?

>> No.7148029

>>7147058
Working at Arby's is like this, except there is always someone no more than 12 feet away from you, and you're working wiht food.

They don't give a shit if you're running outside every half hour to puke and you're the one making the food.

They don't give a shit if your arm is broken and you need to go to the hospital.

You work your measly 12 hours a week at minimum wage, because if you don't, you get fired.

>> No.7148039

I usually just say that it's not my responsibility. God, I've had all sorts of shit shouted at me from "you weren't raised right," "your parents fucked up," "youth today is garbage" ugh I'm too shy to be rude though

>> No.7148055

>>7147780
That was exactly what made me stop caring at JoAnn's. I would have preferred no raise at all than being promised a raise but only getting pennies. The sad thing is, that's considered the standard (if you're lucky enough to even get it).

At this point if I want a raise or promotion I get the fuck out and find a new job.

>> No.7148081

>>7146623
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me why craft glitter is so bad

>> No.7148098

>>7148002
Things that you see a lot of now thanks to Pintrist:
>burlap
>chalkboards
>chalkboard paint
>chalk for hair chalking (I'm gonna guess this ends in a lot of dry disasters)
>mason jar glassware
>Tulle for little girl tutus

>> No.7148096

>>7146690
You sound like you're not confident and assertive enough. Not like an asshole or anything, but with open body language and a relaxed stature, not butting into conversation, but not choking on your words and halting yourself every time you attempt to go up to/say something to someone.

>> No.7148101

>>7148081

Large flakes with sharp edges. If even one flake gets in your eye, it'll hurt like a bitch, make your eyes water, and could scratch your cornea.

>> No.7148100

>>7148098
Also, chevron.
Fucking chevron.

>> No.7148106

>>7148100
Ombre. Fucking Ombre

OMBRE CHEVRONS

>> No.7148117

>>7147695
Working at GameStop isn't so bad. It really depends on your manager. It's nice to have conversations about something you like all day, but when you're not doing that or taskwork you are PUSHING PUSHING PUSHING product, trades (esp trades with the new consoles), and pre-orders on everyone who walks in the door. If you want to keep it casual, don't work at a mall store.

>> No.7148123

>>7147936
Well it was cardstock so it would be annoying either way, ringing all up individually or counting each one individually.

>> No.7148121

>>7147967
Had a nosebleed and I was the only cashier.
I had to ring up customers with a nossebleed and they don't even have napkins up front.

The finally let me in the back to get a tissiue but demanded I report back imidiately

>> No.7148124

>>7147753
Our store literally has almost three to four buckets filled of remnants to be done. I have no idea when they will be done. The new people think it's cute to just put them in there so they can go home earlier. Two months ago we stayed late and finished the entire remnant bucket, only for it to get refilled a week later. We have no overnight crew to stock put the go backs or do the remnants, and the morning crew is usually too busy stocking out the new stuff.

Yeah, we aren't allowed to suggest how much you need for a project. It's a liability thing, apparently Joann's has been sued in the past over this, we just tell our customers to look in the pattern book.

>> No.7148133

>>7147924
They weren't optional when I was "employed."

>> No.7148136
File: 8 KB, 246x205, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>working Christmas Eve
>closing early at 6
>there is a huge banner on the front of the store with our holiday hours
>at 5 the closing announcements start (cus the manager wants to speed the crowd along
>announcements at 5:15, 5:30, 5:40, 5:45, 5:50, 5:55, and 6
>people are actually being ushered towards registers at this point
>entrance is locked, exit only
>announcements every few minutes + bullhorn the manager found declaring the store is now closed
>we are finally down to the last dozen customers
>jolly older fellow is my last customer
>it is VERY obvious that the store is empty
>its also after 7
>he puts his three items on the register and looks around, then at me and my coworker
>"Whew that was a crowd wasn't it?
>So what time are y'all closing tonight?"

>> No.7148137

>>7147831
Nah, this was from a month ago. It was on Sunday where we only had four people closing and we were eaten alive. Fabric side was pretty shitty this weekend, we stayed until almost midnight on Saturday, and around 11 on Sunday.

>> No.7148162

>>7147906

The store has a day care? Like, taking care of children?

>> No.7148164

>>7147403
Not nessicarily. Things like that are different, store to store. I recently quit working at a Walmart because of shit like this. They'd schedule me in the deli, 2 to 10 pm. By myself. I'd ask my manager about breaks/lunch. I'd rarely get breaks and had to really work at getting a lunch. (I'd usually get it right before the 6 hour mark.) When I asked about it, my manager would scream at me for being out of the deli and how 'no one was trained to be in the deli so what should i do about it'
just....uhrg?

>> No.7148165

>>7148162

Some malls or huge stores have crèches in them for shoppers to use.

>> No.7148171

>>7148121

Why would you even ask? I would have just left to deal with it.

Was working in the liquor store (it's semi-separate section of the store) alone one time. I called the manager like 3 times cause I had to piss, eventually I just told the customers I will be back in a minute and left.

Fuck managers not taking care of their people.

>> No.7148173

>>7147806

I've been laid off for 4 months now and the pains have just recently begun to go away - I assume my muscles and ligaments are finally healing. Working that store WRECKED my lower half. I actually went to a gynecologist at first because I swore up and down my lady bits were about to fall out. The cramping, pulling sensation in my lower abdomen was extremely distressing until I talked to a physical therapist, and they told me what it was. Shit sucks.

That's what makes the "wear pretty clothes" statement from management even worse. They KNEW I was having these problems and wanted me to wear high heels and shit. So petty and rude.

>> No.7148177

>>7148162
Assuming you're talking about Ikea here, yup! My parents used to drop me off there with my younger brother.

>> No.7148178

>>7148165

I think you might have just made that word up. But, if that means yes.

What kind of terrible parent would leave their children with random mall people to watch them?

>> No.7148213

>>7146852
she has a weak immune system, ever since she was a baby, so illness is easily triggered, her body attacks itself I guess.

>> No.7148225

>>7147081
Fuck I hate how people think they can just say stuff like that to your face when your serving them.
I used to work in a rather quiet bar so I would often talk with the customers which was fine except one time this old guy comes in and suddenly starts telling me he doesn't understand why a pretty girl would want to ruin her face. I tried to be polite, even gently pointed out that it was a little insulting to be saying that to me but he just kept saying it over and over and not dropping it. Eventually I gave up and walked away (more like ran the second someone else distracted him).

>> No.7148243

>>7148117
Amen. I think my bad experience there (see: long winded ranting somewhere above) really was mostly because we were in a mall and no one coming into our store wants the cards or mags. They just want their kids to shut up. And therefore no hours for meeeee only for the keys who are all friends with the manager... and somehow they all get 30+ hours each and all the GAs got like... one day a week. (and the horrible managers. Its really a 50/50 combo between the two. I could task work like no ones biz.)

>> No.7148342
File: 274 KB, 1600x900, 1302808628343.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only retail work that I've done was Target and it was okay aside from having like 14 bosses and having none of them knowing what the fuck they were doing at any given time because they rarely had time to sit down and plan shit. I can think of a multitude of questions that I could ask each and get different responses from everyone. I got two breaks and a lunch with pretty much every shift over 7 hours and lots of free "we were going to throw this shit away" baked goods in the breakroom so it made the usual BS tolerable.

My Mom worked at a clothes store for a while though and figured out that one of the other employees was robbing the place blind. Corporate kept turning a blind eye towards it though because she was getting a lot of credit cards and that was their top concern with the damn place. But one day Mom caught her taking money from the register on camera and turned the bitch in. So the cops come in arrest her, and later that day one of the DMs came in and fired my Mom for "not listing all of her previous jobs on her application" when she had about 12 previous jobs and there were only 3 spaces on the paper app. So basically they were looking for an excuse to fire her.

It's just some shit in retail fuck man.

>> No.7148373

>>7146852
I worked in airport retail for 9 months (several years ago) and developed multiple stress related illnesses (such as ulcers, weakened immune system, and weakened joints) and suffered a small heart attack. Oh my god, I had to call in so many times because my joints didn't want to work and I could taste blood. Stress really can kill you and I had to quit before it did. Why the fuck are all the jobs on the market in retail and not skilled labor, seriously... it feels like having an education gets you nowhere in this country.

>> No.7148377 [DELETED] 

>>7147803
I work at the Vitamin World, which has usually pretty decent reviews on the job.

It's actually a pretty nice atmosphere, usually though depending on the store locations. Some of the internal mall ones have shitty customers, but I work at a slightly less busier mall where most of our customers are regulars, so it's nice to get used to them. You also get decent commissions if you sell certain items.

Only cons are that they usually have a small staff, so depending on the location and management, some of them can be power trippers and make it hard for you to work around schedules and have sick days. I have a pretty chill boss though because we're all students, so we work around each other without losing hours. I have plenty of con time too. Other thing is that you do have to learn and go through the knowledge programs, which I really like, but it can be a bit tough if you don't wanna learn everything about vitamins for a job.

I think other similar stores like GNC are also pretty similar, and if you're not big on the whole knowledge program, GNC doesn't really have one so it's just straight retail for likely the same pay which is good too.

>> No.7148379

>>7148373

That's crazy, never knew stuff like that could happen.

I don't understand what is so stressful about this stuff though.

>> No.7148384

>>7148379
Working in an airport is one of the most stressful jobs ever even if it's a lowly position. For example with my former job, you have asshole constantly yelling at you, you have to translate pick-up procedures in multiple languages (I worked in the international terminal), some managers were assholes and won't do crap to help you, people from various airlines calling your shop line and panicking when you're not there to deliver to their gates (because my company would get fined $1,000 per minute for *each* minute a flight was delayed by us), you had to run up and down the terminal with a cart full of items to various boarding gates, and we had a skeleton crew at this place. By the way, this job was so bloomy selfish and greedy that they didn't give their employees a raise for TEN years and it was such a big deal that everyone in the terminal was talking about how we were getting a raise only to be shocked to find out it was a measly $0.25 ontop of the usual $8.50/hr. It was nothing but hardcore stress.

>> No.7148544

ahh, all the wonderfull stories in this thread remind me of the time I went on an interview for a call center and one of the people interviewing me wanted to make shure I had 'thick skin'
she did not understand when I laughed and reminded her that I have worked retail for 5 years.
She did not get the joke.

>> No.7148566

Used to work in kfc in high school. I now get 90 bucks an hour and have my own office. I still tell girls at cons that my job is a teller and I make 35k a year if they ask in order to weed out the golddiggers.

>> No.7148579

>>7148379
>I don't understand what is so stressful about this stuff though.
have you ever worked a day in your life?
If yes, add insane working hours, myriads of assholes and zero money
After four stomach ulcers and severe depression I attempted suicide because of my work and my crazy boss. I used to laugh at people who complained about their jobs, before I started working in retail I considered myself to be a REALLY tough thick-skinned bitch. Work wasn't just stressful or exhausting, it broke me.

>> No.7148605

My fav retail story is from a coworker, but it always gets my jammies in a twist so I will share
>at previouse job, coworker is 9 months pregnent, due in a few weeks
>co worker is really sick one morning, and is opening alone
>no one is picking up there phone to cover
>she is doing her best, in lots of pain, greeting customers, asking if they need help and bringing them products before sitting down.
>some one called corprate to bitch about her sitting down, how unprofessional ectect
>seriousley some one called corprate because a 9 month pregnent womman was sitting down
>she was having complications, hospitalized for the rest of term
>corprate calls latter, she explanes herself
>you were are how pregnent? lol we will fix
>never hear about the 'issue' again
there is a special level of hell for that customer.

>> No.7148682

>>7148178
Creché can mean either a nursery for children or the manger in which Baby Jesus lay when he was born. Its an old word but still used in some places, usually ones with English influence.

>> No.7148683

>>7148544
actually, call centers (outbound anyway) might be the one field worse than retail. i was outbound cold-calling for donations for my university for two months, and almost broke down crying twice. people are verbally abusive towards telemarketers, which i get why, but god damn. all you have to say is "please remove me from your call list" and we have to.

>> No.7148687

>>7148225
I had a woman get livid with me because I 'tricked her' into giving me a compliment on my dyed red hair. Apparently its very offensive to dye my hair a color she freely said was pretty when I was actually born brunette.

>> No.7148735

>>7148605

Maybe the customer just thought she was fat.

>> No.7148760

>>7148735
There was a girl I worked with who kept being called a lazy fatass by one customer when she called for help getting things off shelves, she was 9 months too I believe. Whats worse, being called pregnant when you're fat, or being called fat when you're pregnant?

>> No.7148765

>This thread in general

And women wonder why they get paid less and hired less.

Maybe it's cause you are crying all the time, trying to kill yourself, and stressing over the littlest thing so hard you have to be hospitalized.

No one wants to deal with your drama. Not to mention 75% of females I have ever worked with were near useless at their job.

>> No.7148778

>>7148765
You say that until you work in an ER and realize 80% of "danger to self or others" 5150 cases are men.

>> No.7148805

Used to work at 2nd hand teenie bopper apparel. We were next to a bar so there were always drunks hitting on us or some guy would always come in bloody from a fight.

One time some Mexican lady came in with a fucking parakeet and didn't understand why we had to make her leave the store

Had lots of weebs come in. Because staff considered me the "nerdy" one I was always sent to help anyone looking for costume pieces. Sometimes it was a decent person but it was usually this hambeast and her fox hat eared boyfriend that came in during con season. She always was looking for a blouse for her "Gothic Lolita Cosplay" and I'd try to show her something in her size that might work but she ALWAYS went for the too small black tank top and would bitch about how her boobs were too big to fit or would buy it anyways because it made her look "sexy". There was another skinny weeb girl that came in with a Miku purse which I complimented and she would just death glare at me like I was too much of a normal fag to understand...

Was so happy when I got a non retail job.

>> No.7148830

>>7148566
Why are people even asking you how much you earn?
In my country only close family can ask that and even then it can be uncomfortable

>> No.7148927

>>7148805
That sounds like...Hot Topic??

>> No.7148970
File: 1.94 MB, 230x175, 1368106521272.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"I'm going to write a letter to the Better Business Bureau"
Ok you do that.

>> No.7149012
File: 388 KB, 628x428, 1340491828721.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Things that I have had customers get angry at me for in Retail

-Counting quarters aloud
-They spent too much money and wouldn't accept that I didn't ring anything up wrong
-Sales Tax
-Being in a good mood
-Not being in a good mood
-My Managers kept me on register after I made it clear to them that I had laryngitis and customers got mad that I couldn't talk to them
-"My item rang up as $11 but it was supposed to be 10.99!!!"
-Politely asking their kids not to do dangerous shit while they weren't looking. Yeah I'm really sorry that I don't want to see your kid bust their head open in my store after one had to go to the hospital the other day for doing that here, how thoughtless of me to tell them what to do.

>> No.7149038

>>7148927
nah it was a used clothing store aimed at teens. If I worked at Hot Topic it would almost be like asking for it...

>> No.7149053

>>7148687
...please explain that in detail

>> No.7149057

I've had three black women threaten me the other day. They all were so surprised when I told them to fuck off, get out of my store, and told them not to come back.

>> No.7149096

>>7149053
>hair is naturally dark blah brown
>dye it a dark natural red
>go to work
>"Oh your hair is such a pretty color! It really glows"
>"Thanks! I thought I'd try something new."
>"...thats not your natural color?"
>"Nah its Nutrisse I think."
>"Hmph, and here I thought you were a REAL redhead. Girls like you give the rest of us a bad name!"
>huffy ten minute rant on teenagers these days and their slutty hair dye and lipstick
>(please note I am 23)
>pays and leaves, gives my natural-red coworker a dirty look on the way out

>> No.7149099

>>7149096
Oh and I should add she was middle aged, expensive clothes, twice the makeup I had, and obviously bleaches her own hair cus she had dark roots.

>> No.7149106
File: 468 KB, 500x375, 1366115733368.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>@ Jo-Anns
>cutting ultra cuddle
>cutting glitter tulle

>> No.7149109

>>7147233
Naw. Most customers will refuse your help, and your coworkers will hate you because they have to pick up the slack, but If you can deal with that you'll be good.

>> No.7149113

>>7149096
...I think I prefer that to being called a nappy head sister...
Still though, what a thunder cunt

>> No.7149120

>>7149113

Do you have nappy hair?

>> No.7149123
File: 1021 KB, 372x242, hug.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Damn I lucked out.

The worst I ever get from my job is stingy old fucktards who bitch about having to pay for the whole fish when you buy a whole fish.

Here, have something cute to cheer you all up.

>> No.7149132

>>7149123
>Here, have something cute to cheer you all up.
ohgod that's so cute ahhh

>> No.7149142
File: 123 KB, 496x279, HpvWY.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149123

On the subject of shit customers, though:

> be me
> wrapping snapper for old man (60+ years old)
> hand it to him
> big smile
> Here you go sir, can I get you anything else?
> man takes it
> doesn't smile
> doesn't say thank you
> leans way over counter
> "You're lying to your customers.'
> uwotm8
> "You have a mislabeled fish over there."
> Oh, I'm so sorry. Which one?
> "The freshwater drum. That's not a fucking black drum!"
> Well no, black drum is saltwater, this one is freshwater.
> "THAT'S NOT WILD CAUGHT! IT'S LABELED AS WILD CAUGHT!"
> ...Yes sir. It's a wild-caught freshwater fish.
> "THAT'S MISREPRESENTATION! YOU THINK PEOPLE WILL PAY WILD-CAUGHT PRICES FOR A FARM-RAISED FISH?!"
> the fucking fish is $1.99 a pound
> drop smile
> drop friendly voice
> go get manager
> she attempts to explain that you can catch a freshwater fish in the wild
> "But they don't catch it in the gulf out here!"
> no you fucking moron, it's a freshwater fish
> "SO IT'S FARM-RAISED! YOU'RE LYING! I'M SUING YOU FOR MISREPRESENTATION!"
> man storms off
> mfw

>> No.7149145

>>7149120
no. Im just mixed. had a customer complain how racist some store was because they didnt help her. I laughed and said "maybe I should go see whats up?" because managers were friends in all. and she said "nope. any sister with nappy hair theyll ignore. and I see you got..." she trailed of...my hair wasn't nappy.

>> No.7149165

I always have the iPhone app coupons, a Joann's coupon, and a Hobby Lobby coupon when I go to Michaels. Is this annoying to employees as long as I'm really normal otherwise?

>> No.7149177

>>7149145
I hate this mentality that any if you're a minority, and someone's an asshole to you, that it's racist. Newsflash, some people are just indiscriminate assholes to everyone.

>> No.7149181

>>7149165
At Jo-ann we have to punch the competitor coupons in manually so it's a little more of a hassle but otherwise not a big deal.

I don't think Michaels lets you use multiple coupons for one transaction though (at least they never let me). How do you manage that?

>> No.7149185

>>7149142
>Working at library help desk
>30-something average looking guy comes up
>"what's the difference between fiction and non-fiction?"
>"Non-fiction books contain real information and true stories. Fiction is for made-up stories."
>"You carry books full of lies?!"
>storms out before I figure out what he meant
>i don't even

>> No.7149201

>>7149185
>"You carry books full of lies?!"

Those are in the religion section actually sir.

Checkmate Atheists.

>> No.7149225

>>7148178
Some of the national chain grocery stores where I live have little day cares where parents can drop their kid off, get the grocery shopping done, and pick them back up and leave.
And the places usually have video games and a bunch of toys to keep kids occupied.

I've just started working as a lowly bagger/courtesy clerk at another grocery store and I've seen enough parents yell at their kids or ones who just let their spawn do whatever to wish the day care places were more common.

>> No.7149228

>>7149185

.> "You carry books full of lies?!"

Oh my fucking God.

>> No.7149235

>>7149142
Oh god you reminded me of the grocery hell I used to be in. Working class town and we were the oldest most popular grocery and got ALL the food stamps and rednecks.

>hot ready-to-eat food is not covered by food stamps
>this is not a new rule and is not hard to understand
>hot=no
>we had a service on certain fresh foods from deli or seafood section that we would cook them for free
>they now count as hot food
>this is specified when you ask for it
>people always come up with giant bag of shrimp, cooked chicken legs, sausages, fucking boiled lobster
>present stamps card
>priceed to flip shit when I ask for the additional amount

>people are cheap shits
>they will empty grapes out of a bag on sale and fill it with more expensive grapes
>peel stickers off apples and claim theyre cheaper variety
>one dude took all of the frozen chicken strips on sale and hid them in another freezer so he could get name brand variety as substitute
>blatantly dropping pies or damaging bread and asking for discount (we don't sell damaged food, its comped out, mashed, and sent to the local farms we get meat/milk/eggs from)

>mother
>fucking
>WIC checks

>> No.7149237

>>7149177

Dude, or maybe it's you. Like, I always get this one old woman in who insists that I'm incapable of cutting fish, and when I ignore her and let another monger help her, I'm 'racist.'

Can't fucking win.

>> No.7149241

>>7149225
They're a lawsuit waiting to happen though.

>> No.7149247

>>7149235

Some dumb bitch asked me if live lobsters were covered under food stamps.

I told her I didn't know, so she called the office.

She proceeded to buy about $90 worth of lobster.

Your tax dollars at work, everyone.

>> No.7149254

>>7149235
>WIC checks

WIC is annoying to ring up, especially when the people are stupid and try to say orange drank is juice or chocolate frosted sugar bombs are cereal.

But, I have much less of a problem with WIC than food stamps, they are both mooches. But, at least WIC forces them to get real food.

Pisses me off every time some trash comes through with a cart full of pop tarts, microwave dinners, and pop, then pays with food stamps.

>> No.7149270

Ex-grocery store butcher here, I could tell you millions of stories of people who are retarded.

>Old man claims that I've been "folding the old ground beef into the new stuff" because its "dark on the inside"
>Tell him thats oxidation
>He tells me I've gone to highschool and know what oxidation is
>mfw I'm 20 at this point
>Assure him that I literally just ground this stuff and its from steak trim
>Tell him if he buys it and leaves it on the counter for 5 minutes it will turn red
>He calls me a liar
>Open up a package, break the ground meat in half, put it in the showcase
>Tell him to come back in 5 minutes and see
>He doesn't come back
>He comes back the next day bitching about the same thing
90% of the time old people are just bitter and want to talk to someone.

>> No.7149273

Are we just doing retail? I'm in the education department at an aquarium (I originally wanted to get a retail job in the gift shop but I knew a guy and got the higher paying job, thought I lucked out and avoided the hell that is retail)
No. Everyone is an asshole no matter what.
>Anon-chan, what kind of crab is this?
>That's a spider crab. They're also called blah blah blah here is my default spheal about spider crabs because it is my job.
>Lol anon-chan you're wrong, that's not a spider crab, that's a blue claw.
>No, we don't have blue claws here, that is a spider crab.
>Anon-chan I will call your manager because you are lying to me! How dare you put a perfectly edible animal in this exhibit!
wtf.

To make this more weeb themed though, and to stay (slightly) on topic. I had a girl come in with cat ears and a horrible cupcake tattoo on her arm. I kept running into her and I had to pretend to be all super happy when in reality she smelt bad and I wanted to puke. Gotta admit, when I saw her in the bird exhibit and had to help her hold a bird, I laughed internally because every single bird flew away from her.

I mean other than that my bosses are great and the employees are nice. There's even one I can weeb out with (to an extent) about SPN when it's a really slow day. Only downside is it's slow season and they haven't scheduled me in three weeks. I'm just put in as 'backup'.

>> No.7149280

>>7149254

We used to be on food stamps and WIC when my little brother was born. An african american couple was in front of me, buying two carts full of food while I patiently waited with a bag of flour and some pop. The cashier looked at me and said something along the lines of "I hate food stamps! It's a broken system! I can't stand it! They're buying prime-grade steak with food stamps! Steak! When I see people like that, I wish food stamps didn't exist!"

And I just smiled and handed her my foodstamp card and said "Well, I like it, otherwise I'm not sure how I'd be able to eat."

That bitch looked pale as a ghost.

>> No.7149292

>>7149270
>90% of the time old people are just bitter and want to talk to someone.

When I worked in a fabric store, they generally stopped being bitter and chatted about whatever crafting item they were working out (quilting, outfits for their grandkids, etc.), but in the grocery store and floral shop. Fuck. You are so on the money there.

I had an old man get angry at me because his bell peppers came up cheaper than the thought. There had been no sign saying they were on sale, but they came up buy one get one. He flipped his shit about dishonesty and con artists and on and on ... until he realised I said they were cheaper, not more expensive. Then he just kind of said "oh." Paid and shuffled off.

>> No.7149299
File: 52 KB, 500x501, 1370382829641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149273
shit I actually forgot about my favorite stories of horrible customers treating me like shit. (I'm tallish but people still can mistake me for 14. This is important.)

>In butterfly room
>Watch as a man reaches out to butterfly. Grabs it. Throws it on his shoulder.
>I approach him and tell him not to touch the butterflies and that I'll have to remove the one he just killed from his shoulder.
>english must not be his first language.
>he proceeds to scream at me saying that I was now touching the butterfly.
>I remain calm and smiling and tell him it's dead because he just crushed it and that if I see him touch another butterfly I'll have to escort him from the exhibit.
>He starts cursing me out. Slowly shifts into spanish then rages out of the room, stomping on several butterflies that were on low lying flowers (right in front of small children by the way. Imagine the horror on their faces.)
>Wife then tells me, "You shouldn't talk to my husband that way." and huffs away.
>laughing because I see him later and he screams across the room, "IT'S THAT BUTTERFLY BITCH", then stomps away and the wife approaches me saying I shouldn't be anywhere near her husband and I'm dumb for not realizing that.

Also I've had full conversations with people in English, then when I go to tell them not to do something in regards to their safety, "Ahhh no speak english. So sorry. No entiendo." mfw.

Then had a mother scream at me because I wouldn't let her daughter swim the the area designated to wade in ankle deep water with spider crabs and whelks.

Don't get me started on diaper people. Don't.

I find English Second Language people and overprivileged trophy wives/middle class soccer moms tend to be the worst.

>> No.7149312

>>7149299

He fucking killed it.

Then yelled at you.

Then killed more butterflies.

Please tell me he was banned.

>> No.7149325
File: 456 KB, 1280x720, 1368755081959.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149299
Wow forgive me for all this posting, but I hit submit by accident holy crap.
All of these encounters usually end with "Well, what do YOU know? You're just some preteen pity employee!" lol no. When was the last time you met a preteen who could rattle off the taxonomy of a channeled whelk or whatever bullshit animal they decide to throw at me to "test my knowledge".

>>7149312
He was not banned since apparently (I got my manager at this point who attempted to track him down) after the second encounter he rushed out of the Aquarium, threw his kids in the car and bolted out of the parking lot.

Also I have a ridiculous amount of stories if you all are in need.

>> No.7149348

Just got an interview for a JoAnn's seasonal position this weekend. Give me your horror stories, but some fuck-yeah stories if you have any. Preferably with a seasonal flavor.

>> No.7149350

>>7149325
Please more, anon.

>> No.7149366

>>7149254
Oh I have no problem with the checks themselves, in fact I wish food stamps was that strict. Its that most of the customers who had them were awful. They would pile food on the end of the register, hand me the checks, and proceed to go on the phone or chat with their friends and ignore me completely when I try to get them to answer me or sign the check. And one woman made me constantly reweigh a bag of grapes, pulling off individual grapes until it was under the price limit of the check, and then went through the loose grapes to find the smallest one to add back in. And they would always come over with fucking Pepperidge Farm cinnamon bread because its the same size as the specified loaf and should count.

>> No.7149374

>>7149348
Idk I just started a couple weeks ago on seasonal and it's fine so far. Be prepared to cut fuckloads of tulle and fleece.
Good luck with your interview!

>> No.7149384

>>7149237
Id just tell her " I'm sure youd prefer her."
Ive had customers brag about a coworker of mine like she was sucking his cock. she called him a god.
a fucking god.
I work at a kids shoe store. The husband looked so uncomfortable about the way she just kept going on and on about how perfect he was at putting shoes on her kid.

>> No.7149382

>>7149348
Not a JoAnn's story, but my fav from my time at Hancock's

>really scary dude comes into shop on occasion
>well over 6' tall, very muscular, shaved head and never takes off his shades
>covered in tattoos and scars, including what looks like rough-hacked glasgow smile
>no one ever talks to him
>try not to judge, but the dude makes me nervous
>one day, see him wandering through swim/dancewear section looking a bit lost
>approach and ask if he needs help
>"No, no thanks. Just waiting for a phone call."
>tell him to let me know if he needs anything
>go off to face store and he heads over to cutting table we use for remnants to wait
>five minutes pass and he comes up to me while I'm sorting through a mass of formalwear fabrics
>"Excuse me, miss. Do you have ... uh ... stretch sequins?"
>"Bands or full width fabric?"
>"Bands."
>help him find the trims he needs
>he hands me his phone with his wife on the other end eventually, because he's unable to find it all
>at some point he has removed his sunglass
>jailhouse tear tats and more scars
>eventually help him find everything he needs and take him to cutting counter
>he's looking super proud, with his arms full of star-spangled swimwear fabric and neon pink lycra
>make small talk and ask him what his wife is doing with all this stuff
>he puffs himself up even bigger than before, and in his massive, manly, bikerdude voice says:
"My wife makes stripper clothes."

The little old ladies in the queue behind him looked like they were going to faint dead away when he said that, but I just laughed and asked if it's good money. He went on to tell me that he was the bouncer at the club she does costumes and makeup for. One of our most polite customers there. He always came to find me after that, because all the other people in the shop were pretty terrified of him.

>> No.7149428

>>7149382
I'll just keep posting the ones I remember...

>woman comes in with three little girls
>2 year old, 5 year old, 7 year old
>asks me about where to find items to make ribbon barrettes for their hair
>toddler is in cart, they put two eco totes in the cart to keep their spools of ribbon from rolling around
>go to assist her at one point and don't see the 5 or 7 year old
>bags are gone from the cart
>turn and see the two girls bolting for the front door with them, filled to the brim
>legally cannot stop shoplifters, much less touch these kids
>no one's near them anyway, so they run out into the parking lot
>mother picks up toddler and starts to head for the door as I confront her, starts swearing at me before I get anything past "ma'am" out of my mouth
>I follow her to the door, pull out my phone and take a photo while she continues to swear and hurl abuse at me
>tell her if she comes back, I'm reporting her to CPS and send the photo to corporate after she leaves

So far as I know, she never came back. But seriously, wtf. We had such a high shoplifting rate (especially on scissors), but that was ridiculous.

>> No.7149444

>>7149428
>facing store towards the end of my shift
>move through deco remnants back to fleece
>from there, into back corner to outdoor and upholstery fabric
>overhear two young men in that corner discussing fabric
>both in baggy jeans, too-big vans, white, thin t-shirts and lots of gold chains
>one is wearing really badly applied foundation on his face, has a thin, weedy moustache and heavily gelled, spiked hair
>this one has a heavy lisp
>both are Filipino
>guy with lisp is talking about making a ballgown
>out of $4 per yard cheapass snakeskin car upholstery fabric
>fabric is 1/8" thick
>really shouldn't approach, really shouldn't, know I shouldn't
>do it anyway, offer to show them to the formal attire where we have a really slinky snakeskin fabric
>he interrupts my offer and doe the sassy head bob thing, poses with his elbow in the other hand and everything
>"Honey. I send to FIDM. I spent thousands of dollars on my degree. I know what I'm doing."
>he pronounces FIDM as "FIDO" due to heavy accent and lisp combining
>try not to laugh
>Apologise and back off, thinking that was quite a waste of thousands of dollars, considering he's in the middle of fucking nowhere Texas fashion-wise
>go back to facing store
>they leave twenty minutes later, having bought the entire bolt of the snakeskin fabric I had TRIED to show them, bragging about what a good find it was and how nicely it'll drape

>> No.7149462
File: 100 KB, 714x728, 1365055493187.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149350
One time I was at an interactive touch tank, and this big ass group of summer campers come over. Oh fucking god. The counselors were obviously not very interested in anything, so when one kid shoves his face in the water and starts chugging it (where I can't reach, ofc) I have to basically yell at her to get her attention to pull the kid's face out of the water. The kid continues to struggle against her to try and drink more germ and animal piss water.

Next one is another man killing butterflies. He keeps reaching out and crushing butterflies and I tell him he either has to stop or leave. He responds with, "I paid an extra $26 and I can't even do what I want?" I told him if he wants to talk to a manager the exhibition center coordinator who is in charge of all rules and regulations was in the next room over and I could gladly grab him for a little chat.
The man promptly shut up and grumbled away.

But mothers whose very young children have very obvious and destructive tendencies and/or conditions really shouldn't bring them to interactive exhibits with live animals. I had one woman just keep yelling "HE HAS AUTISM YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO TELL ME WHAT HE CAN AND CANNOT DO" whenever I tried to give instructions as to how the exhibit works. He kept attempting to throw every animal he came in contact with, and I had to get a manager because fuck that shit, I'm not going to let your son attempt to throw/maim every living thing in sight. Plus trying to destroy the exhibit itself. The woman wasn't even holding his hand, just screaming "HE HAS AUTISM" whenever anyone tried to go up to him and say "Hey honey, you can't be too rough with the animals, but you can pet them." Because we are obviously supposed to know at first glance your child's medical history.

>> No.7149469

>>7149444
Annnd this is one I actually put up on NotAlwaysRight because it was so rude.

>rolling remnants one afternoon while it's very quiet
>everyone else is off facing, while I keep an eye on the front in case someone needs cutting or checking out
>woman and her daughter come up and start digging through the remnants on the table
>She picks up one of the fabrics and hands it to her daughter
>"Pregúntale a la muchacha si hay más de esta.” (“Ask the girl if there is more of this.”)
>Living in fucking Texas
>Speaking at least some Spanish is practically mandatory to get a managerial position
>answer in Spanish
>“¿De cual tela, señora?” (“Which fabric, ma’am?”)
>“How dare you?”
>“I-I’m sorry?”
>“You’re all the same. How dare you assume I don’t speak English!”
>“Ma’am, you asked your daughter to ask me a question in Spanish instead of asking me yourself. I assumed you were more comfortable with Spanish.”
>“Well, I speak English just fine.”
>“I see that, yes. I was just trying to make things easier–”
>“I just didn’t want to speak to YOU.”
>customer grabs her kid and flounces out

I told my coworkers about it later and one of them, a little old lady from Guatemala rolled her eyes and said something like "she's probably from *Spain*. They're such snobs."

>> No.7149470

>>7149366
What's wrong with cinnamon bread?

>> No.7149476

>>7149165
At the Michaels I go to the employees just have their own barcode on the side for the weekly 40% coupon. I'll usually have one with me or pull out my phone but half the time they just use that instead.

>> No.7149478

>>7149469
>facing store again
>always facing store when shit happens
>hear a sudden CRASH in deco racks and rush to the front
>expect to find some little old lady crushed under tapestry fabric
>it's a kid
>he's about five and wailing his head off, trapped under not one, but TWO tubes of half-unrolled fabric
>other employee is already there trying to get the fabric off of him
>tells me he was climbing the damned racks like a jungle gym and she'd come over to get him down when he fell and took the rolls with him
>mother comes storming over from the cutting table looking furious
>expect the kid to get an earful and step back with the fabric
>the mother hauls the kid up, looks right as US and shouts
>"WHY WEREN'T YOU WATCHING HIM?!"
>... and then stomps out of the store

>> No.7149485

>>7149470
I'm guessing it costs more than the regular kind or something.

But I agree, it is delicious.

>> No.7149491

>>7149478
>really busy sale period on a Saturday
>working register 1 instead of cutting as I have override codes
>register area used to have a cutting table, but it no longer exists
>ruler's marks have all been rubbed off, space is now used to display impulse buy knick knacks
>get through line of people to a gentleman holding a piece of elastic
>he hands it to me and comments on how busy we are
>thank him for waiting patiently and ask for his cutting slip
>"What slip?"
>"Oh. Uh. One of the ladies at the table should have given you one when they cut this for you. Did they leave it over there?"
>"No."
>"You're sure? I'll go chec--"
>"I cut it myself. I wasn't going to wait in TWO lines."
>"You cut it yourself."
>"Yes!"
>he even shows me his pocket knife, looking so proud
>"So you don't know how much you cut."
>"What are you talking about, you can see how much I cut right there!"
>"Yes, sir. But it wasn't measured. Nor do I know which elastic to ring it as."
>"You don't have it memorized?!"
>Getting annoyed at this point. It's been a long day.
>"No, sir. I do not have the eight digit codes for all 32 types of elastic memorized. You couldn't at least bring me the box?"
>suddenly, a teenage boy thumps the box down on the counter and glares at the man
>"I *told* you, Dad. You can't just do it how you want."
>His dad grumbles as I measure the elastic using a tapemeasure in my apron pocket and ring him up
>He proclaims that the next time he comes in, he's going to do it *again*
>His son tells him how embarrassing he is as they leave the store

>> No.7149509

>>7147496
>panic attack on the short ladder on Black Friday
Please, anon?

>> No.7149516

>>7149491
>GM knows nothing about fabric, sewing, crafting, etc.
>GM also is fairly incompetent at the other aspects of her job from what the rest of us can tell
>one day, customer comes in to return items from one of our other stores in a different city roughly a two hour drive away
>spins me some bullshit story about working with the local high school drama department on costumes, because he's a *fashion* designer
>already suspicious because we don't get many male customers, much less male customers dressed in oversized basketball jerseys and jeans, wielding $400+ returns paid for with check
>large items, nothing you would just "return" like that
>tell him I may not have enough cash on hand to process his transaction, ask him to wait while I call the GM
>call my GM and try to explain to her the situation
>she tells me she knows him, it's all okay, he's a charming designer from Ohio
>he told me he's from Mississippi
>has the same name
>she tells me to put the return through, so I give up and put the return through
>he gets on his phoen as he goes off to do some shopping
>less than thirty seconds after he leaves the register, another young man in the EXACT SAME BASKETBALL JERSEY comes strolling in
>he looks really nervous as he heads off with a cart
>at this point, I know we've been had somehow, and am silently fuming at my boss
>he comes to check out while the other guy is still shopping
>cart is full of home decor pillows, curtain rods, etc.
>lets other customers go ahead of him
>he wants to write a check

>> No.7149522

>>7148384

I work for TSA baggage screening and I see these horror stories play out on a daily basis. The baggage handlers have it the worst and those dudes get kicked to the curb if they get injured on the job, which happens a lot.

>> No.7149520

>>7149516
>shows me ID with the check, which is clearly fake
>ask him to take the ID out of his wallet so I can see it clearly
>Texas ID is in behind this fake Mississippi ID
>look everything over, tell him I can't take the check, but that we accept other forms of payment
>he snatches the ID back and the check, asks where the ATM is
>I tell him it's at the grocery store next door and he heads outside
>as soon as he hits the pavement, he's on his phone and running into the lot instead of to the store
>the other guy inside throws his things on the cutting table and bolts

Turns out the GM hadn't told any of us that she'd gotten an email from corporate with photos of those two jackasses. They'd been ripping stores off in three cities by using fake checks/IDs, then returning the items elsewhere for cash. I was so fucking livid that I called our area director that afternoon and told him all about it. I left the job about a month later, but she's still there. I have no idea how she kept her job after that.

>> No.7149527

>>7149247
>>7149254
ready? FIGHT.

>> No.7149534

>>7149520
>Week before big local convention
>don't typically get cosplayers, but a group of three girls come in asking for help with costumes
>ask what they're making and they show me a photo
>organization XIII jackets
>one of their aunties is making them
>offer to help find an appropriate pattern
>then show them fabrics
>they pick cling-free lining
>for the jackets
>leave them to look at their selections and pray they don't ask me for just lining
>they leave without buying anything
>one of them is talking a bit loudly and hear her say "maybe we can just make them out of garbage bags, what do you think?"

>> No.7149537

Well, it's not Michaels really, but I work as a desktop operator at a print shop, so I have some retail/job related horror stories if anyone is interested.
The shop is in the eastern Bay Area in CA, so there's a...richly diverse... group of people that come in.

>> No.7149543

>>7149537

Yes we want to hear them.

>> No.7149544
File: 149 KB, 746x733, el1qevkbjki3l7bm69b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7149537
I used to work at an MMP in a similar capacity. This was on every one of our business cards and promotion pieces, no matter how much I protested to my boss. I posted some horror stories in /gd/ a while back. God, I hated that job.

>> No.7149550

You'd be surprised at how hard it is for grown adults to understand the simplest fucking shit when it comes to coupons in Retail. Like one time I had a lady who wanted to use a fresh meat coupon on frozen beef; and no matter what approach I took in explaining the problem with that to her she interpreted it as me saying that he meat didn't count as meat in the most patronizing tone possible.

>> No.7149551

>>7149470
WIC checks are basically food stamps but strictly for healthy foods. The bread on the checks is 100% whole grain wheat bread of a certain size. Ppperidge Farm happens to be the same size as one of the checks requires and people try to make us substitute it because their kids don't like whole wheat.

>> No.7149566
File: 15 KB, 350x192, 451231388_boobah_xlarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7148002
They look like slutty Boohbahs.

>> No.7149568

>>7149478
I have one like this where I very politely told two kids to please not climb on a glass display case. Mom comes over and bitches me out for "yelling at her kids." After being bitched out by parents for stopping their children (no parents in sight) from being hurt, I just turn a blind eye to kids. Let 'em fall and crack their skull open. I'm not liable. I'm not trained to supervise children.

It's terrible how years and years of being treated like shit for doing the right thing turns you apathetic. Unless I personally face mortal bodily harm I could give two shits about people being hurt, theft, etc. As long as I get my paycheck I'm good.

>> No.7149569

>>7149534
No longer stories, but rather repeat customers who were just weird...

>Gutterman lady
Had her own commercial thread racks at home, purchased (I assume) from a shop going out of business. She ran an embroidery and quilting service and was anal as fuck. There was more than one instance where she came in for thread and made me sort the entire overstock drawer, so she could find the ones she was missing, even if they weren't in stock. She also carried her own restock stick (you use it to check how many spools are in the rack without taking them out) and would huff over to bitch if there were more than a handful that were missing two or more spools.

>scissors lady
We suspect this woman was responsible for all three pairs of Gingher scissors that disappeared during my six months at the shop. We found their packaging ripped open and shoved in the decor remnants. She always hovered around their display and asked questions about whether they were better than the Fiskars or if it was just the fancy cases that made them so much more expensive. She rarely bought anything other than individual fats.

>grabby hands
This guy ran an upholstery business and we kept a really close eye on him when he was around the younger employees. He was a real creep and would ask for help getting fabric off the decor racks, because he was "old and feeble", then "accidentally" grope onto the girls. Usually he'd say things like "you looked like you were going to fall off the step ladder!" as an excuse. We eventually hired a young man and any time he came in, we tried to make sure that he was the one serving that particular customer.

>> No.7149571

>>7148101
I've had this happen to me when I was a kid. Bit of glitter got wedged in my eye and I had to go to a&e

>> No.7149572
File: 228 KB, 855x744, 1380067275219.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7148002
I love you. I loved this post.

>> No.7149578

>>7149569
I had a family that would come in and bulk buy VHS tapes at the Target that I worked at. Apparently a Grandmother in the family had severe OCD that revolved around continuously recording things on her VCR and if they ran out of tapes she would start to freak out.

According to the husband they had an entire garage full of recorded VHS tapes from all of this.

>> No.7149584

>>7149247
I rung up a couple, he was on his nice new iPhone, she was dressed from head to toe in Victoria Secret PINK clothes (looked like new clothes/ good condition clothes), they bought 2 cans of Red Bull, 2 Five-Hour Energy Shots, and a custom drink that cost $5 (iced coffee with an extra shot of expresso).

All this was accepted for EBT.

>> No.7149588

>>7149569
Actually, I remembered another story. And this one made me really sad.

>little girl and grandmother come in for fabric
>she's massive
>the little girl, not the grandmother
>she's been invited to a friend's princess birthday party
>I help them pick fabric and a pattern for a princess dress
>grandma says she'll grade the pattern as necessary
>measure her to figure out yardage
>she's about 5 or 6 and bigger around the chest than I was (I was then 24)
>she looks about to cry as I tell the grandmother the measurements
>looks right at me and says something like "I know, I'm enormous"

I felt so shitty

>> No.7149591

>building located in downtown area, lots of SLEs, so lots of crazies in the area.
>few regular crazies, none too bad
>worst regular being "rainbow man", always wearing layers and layers of brightly colored, filthy rags.

There was this VERY vocal crazy guy that started coming in, he would constantly touch people, grab them. He also would run through the store, from the front entrance and out the back, and lob things into people as he ran. He once ran in and started beating the manager with a bouquet of flowers, he'd try to flirt with the courier. He liked to give the courier "gifts", which once included a live, toe-less pigeon.

The last time I saw him , he ran through the store yelling "THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME". Two police cruisers pulled up out front and asked if we'd know where he was going.

>> No.7149593
File: 527 KB, 814x540, 70oU4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>make a joann's trip for one cut of fabric
>bring the bolt to cutting counter
>two ladies with, i shit you not, two cartloads of fleece
>keep buying 1.5 yards or so of each fabric
>arguing about which fabric matches better
>keep going up to the fabric wall and getting more to cut
Fuck your ugly ass fleece tie blankets, and fuck you.

>> No.7149598

>>7149588
And one more, not related to customers.

>opening shop for the day, which means:
>doing the cash drop from the night before
>taking the garbage out from the night before
>counting the tills and putting them in the registers
>resetting/marking hours from the night before as necessary
>checking email for notification of orders, etc.
>did all of the above and left garbage for last, in case I had other things to throw out as well
>go to back door and remove the fire bar, unlock and prop the door open
>go back inside to get the garbage and finally look *up* instead of at the ground
>homeless guy smoking a cigarette
>in our now open storage container
>in his stained grey tighty whities
>slam the door shut and lock it again
>IMMEDIATELY call GM and ask if I should call police, since store policy says "no" but my gut is saying "yes"
>she says no, but to chase him off when other employees get in

He continued to cut the locks on the storage container for a couple of months before she finally decided it was worth calling the police.

>> No.7149604

Speaking of the courier...She's been awful, she's the sort of person that will act as though she knows what she's doing, but has NO IDEA, and then tries to bug me or the production lead to fix her fuck ups.
She's been working at the store for 12 years.
12 YEARS. Can't operate a copier or be trusted with computers.
There was recently an inquiry, everyone had to do a write up, all of my co workers had complaints against her.
She single handedly RUINED 3 production computers in a day, installing some chat/game client or other.
My station was the only production one working, and it's also the only one she can't access.
I was hoping, felt certain even, that she'd finally be fired, but instead the District Manager decided to buy into the couriers sob story about how hard her life was.

>this bitch has loud personal cfellphone conversations on the floor
>ignores customers
>doesn't answer phones
>doesn't help in production like she's supposed to
>used to access the server I store customer files on and delete them "I'm just cleaning up lol~"

I've since been given password protection for my server. Shame, since now everyone has to wait for any desktop services until I'm there.

>> No.7149607

>>7149584

EBT is given out for things other than poor people, fyi (some military situations, accepting a foster kid who is disabled, etc) and the "custom iced coffee" is a prepared food that isn't even eligible for EBT.

>> No.7149610

>>7149280

Yea, without government funded pop I don't know what you would do.

>> No.7149628

>>7149593
Was that today? I cut for two women with massive cartloads of fleece this morning. It took forever, but they were making blankets for child cancer patients at the hospital where they work so that's why they were getting so much.

>> No.7149635

>>7149610
>flour
>pop
Is anon making soda bread?

>> No.7149640

>>7149366
>then went through the loose grapes to find the smallest one to add back in.

Amazing.

The worst was when they would let me ring up everything and then pull out the checks "Oh, I have WIC" Our system you had to put the WIC check number in first, then ring stuff up and there is always 3 or 4 checks with a couple things on them. So you have to cancel the whole order and redo it in specific chunks.

To be fair though, the phone and ignoring thing is all customers.

>> No.7149642

>>7149628
I had customers who did the same. One for kids with cancer, the other for a local animal shelter.

>> No.7149659

>7149478
>"WHY WEREN'T YOU WATCHING HIM?!"

Mother of the year

>> No.7149668

>>7149610
I'm on food stamps and work shitty retail (I have had customers defecate in the store, so I'm up here with everyone else who hates the work).

Soda is covered, and yes it seems crazy, but even crazier is that I tried to buy some chicken once from the grocery store and it wasn't covered.

And when I tried to buy a can of Campbell's soup yesterday, that also wasn't covered.

>> No.7149671

>>7149527

Fight about what? I agree with their post.

>> No.7149683

>>7146690
Dude just go somewhere else with your experience. After doing retail for years I realized it's better to take your experience, college education (if you have any), and computer skills. Teach yourself 10-key and apply to administrative positions. If you've had longevity at a company some companies won't mind hiring someone who'll show to work every day that isn't dumb as a rock. Don't ever sell yourself solely towards retail unless you're comfortable where you are or are trying to move towards management positions (and don't mind rimming people). I went from being a minimum wage employee to netting a job that pays 13+ with free lunch, health insurance, and paid time off. You just gotta look and be patient. Bullshit a little if you need to.

>> No.7149690

>>7149568

Haha, it's so true.

Reminds me of a time I was working in the liquor department and some guy who was pretty crusty looking (possibly homeless) He just stuffed like 4 bottles in the pocket of his parka, not even trying to be sneaky, clanking and shit, walked right out the door.

The girl working the other register yells at me "He is stealing those!" Like I was supposed to jump the counter and go chase him down and tackle him.

I just looked at her and shrugged my shoulders, then kept ringing people up.

I am sure I could have stopped him and subdued him for the cops. But, I am making 8$ an hour and it doesn't affect my paycheck if some guy steals 80$ of booze.

>> No.7149691

>>7149185
...Oh my fucking GOD. People like this are the reason I get so angry when the government votes to cut education in order to try balancing the budget.

>> No.7149706

>>7149106
Ultra cuddle can go straight to hell. We had a lady not tell us she was trying to make a tie blanket with it, then come in and bitch about it until the manager gave her a return on it to shut her up. That thing spread its fluffy hatred all over customer service and our damages area for the longest time. On top of that, the cutting counter had to start making sure everyone buying it wasn't going to try to make a tie blanket out of it. Because in retail, you are responsible for everyone else's stupidity.

>> No.7149720

>>7149635
>soda bread

/rimshot

>> No.7149726

>>7149668

Canned soup should be, so should chicken, assuming it wasn't hot from their Deli/Kitchen.

I'd assume something was wrong with their system.

>> No.7149738

>>7149668
on the subject of customers defecating in stores, i've worked at a mcdonalds where a guy walked in, lined up for the register, and when he got to the front, pulled down his pants and shat on the ground, leaving a trail of individual piles poop out the door. we were all stunned as he did this, and just watched him shit his way out.

>> No.7149740

>>7149593
Holy crap fleece tie blankets are one of the ugliest crafts out there. I bought one of them kits once only because it had a cool tetris pattern on one piece but I blanket stitched that motherfucker together by hand .

>> No.7149763

>>7149628
Nah, this was a few months ago. I wouldn't have been so annoyed with it if they'd had their shit sorted out and ready before coming to the cutting counter, instead of constantly changing their minds and getting more fabric to cut.

>> No.7149772

>>7149671
Just the "high-price food item like lobster" vs "cheap, HFCS-filled item like pop tarts".
You can't control what people buy with their WIC/foodstamps, but through education, you can teach healthy eating habits. But when you completely defund education because who needs smart people, and subsidize unnecessary food additives like HFCS... but this is all a discussion for a different forum.

>> No.7149780

>>7149772
>People mad about food stamps being used to buy cheap, shitty food/drinks
>People mad about food stamps being used to buy expensive, healthier foods

This is really dumb on both counts, especially the lobster one. Being poor and on food stamps doesn't mean you have to buy cheap food all the time, you get a certain amount you can spend and that's it.

If they spend it all, then no more lobster for them, but if they're budgeting, they should be allowed to buy it.

I actually buy Monster from time to time with my food stamps, but when you work overtime until midnight, then have to come back in at 4 am, you kind of need it.

>> No.7149795

>>7147398
You have some point in what you say but who cares? You sound like you buy into the "Hard work" bullshit. I worked for years in retail. I dealt with the biggest bullshit, in a shitty area with many of the customers on drugs. I had managers call me begging on the phone to come on my days off or telling me they appreciated the fact I never called out, yet the biggest fucking stoner (in a drug-free company) ever working in the photo department earned 2 dollars more than I did. He took naps on company time and took extended breaks.

Most of it is connections and sucking up. Many of the managers at my former company knew each other or were related. My assistant manager worked for the company nearly 17 fucking years, busting her ass off. The other manager would literally fuck up an aisle to keep her busy on bullshit because she knew if she went to another store another assistant manager wouldn't help her out. She was passed over repeatedly in favor of other people who sucked up. One was only with the company for 3 years before getting his own store. Only a fool believes hard work pays off in retail.

>> No.7149796

>>7149780
exactly my point.

>> No.7149830

>>7149348
Same anon, I got another call from the manager that I needed to go back to the website and fill out the seasonal instead of permanent team member application.
>"Alright, but I was sure I filled out only the seasonal."
>"Let me double check. Oh you're right you're all set, disregard this call!"
>"No problem."

Should I be worried?

>> No.7149836

>>7149830
probably. but see how it goes? at least as a seasonal person you'll only deal with the madness a few months out of the year. it can make for great stories.

>> No.7149843

>>7149509

>go in to work shortly at 10am
>crazy people everywhere, MOD pulls me aside
>"Anon, I need you to stay around the holiday decorations"
>okay, couldn't be too bad, right?
>spend the next several hours pushing and pulling the short latter along the ribbon aisle
>the prettiest ribbons are mostly gone, large spools are out of stock within hours leaving the thinner, small spools
>attempts to communicate goes as follows
>"I'm sorry, ma'am, but we don't ha-"
>"I DON'T CARE CHECK AGAIN."
>"DO YOUR JOB AND FIND ME ANOTHER."
>"I NEED THREE MORE SPOOLS JUST LIKE THIS!"
>"WHY ARE YOU OUT ALREADY?"
>"KEEP LOOKING!"
>hours and hours of older women bitching the hell out of me over fucking sparkly Christmas ribbon
>MOD finally strolls around to my area sometime after 5pm and notices that I'm looking like I'm either going to cry or start strangling people with ribbon
>I only managed to escape the ladder a few times to prevent customers from using the big ladder to reach tall items but I'm back digging around half empty ribbon boxes
>Less mean women hovering but they're still mean and blaming me for shit being gone
>"Hey Anon, anything I can help with?"
>nasty middle aged hag in one of those tracksuits that were popular many years ago immediately starts going off about how I wasn't doing a good enough job
>I look at him, he looks at me, I drop all the ribbon I'm holding, step down the ladder and walk into the back
>MOD does not follow
>Lose composure 100%, spend the rest of my shift sitting inside a cardboard box until MOD tells me I can go home
>Leave store still not breathing quite normally, jittery, and covered in glitter

And that's how I had my first panic attack!

The ribbon that caused the most trouble was this pale, silvery blue one that was covered in glittery snowflakes. We only had the thinnest spools left. I kept telling them this. They kept yelling at me to look. There were not any other fucking spools of that goddamned ribbon anywhere in the store.

>> No.7149853

>>7147398
For corporate run retail positions, raises are often dependent upon things beyond just sales and hard work. Our chain, it was dependent upon shrink among other things. We were in a shitty neighborhood and had shoplifters daily. It was well known that our shrink was higher than the desired average. However, corporate policy made it such that we were not allowed to touch these people, even if we saw them put something in their pocket and walk out. We couldn't even approach them and imply that we had seen them stealing, because they could potentially sue us for defamation and so on. All we were allowed to do was follow them and talk at them without saying a thing about shoplifting.

Keeping this in mind, the only person on salary was our GM. She was useless and our assistant manager basically ran the store. She processed stock orders, she (and the rest of us on her management team) took in shipments. We dealt with corporate and with customers. We organized inventory checks and pulled defunct stock. The GM never told us shit, so we started taking our orders directly from the regional director.

However, when it was time for her assessment and raise, she got 5 cents. Her assessment was listed at 95% satisfaction from the regional director, but her raise only put her at $8.80 an hour. So no. Sometimes "work harder" and "respect the job" really *doesn't* work.

>> No.7149863

>>7149780
>>7149772

Fishmonger-anon here.

Considering the fact that the rest of the cart had junk food and the fact that the lobsters were live ones that have to be cooked immediately, I think it was irresponsible.

This is coming from someone who was actually on food stamps once. It's fucking stupid to waste precious money on food that spoils quickly.

>> No.7149866

>>7149853
And for the record, I left that job after six months because it was such shit. I was working in the lower management tier and making $8.50 an hour, which was not even a dollar abouv minimum wage, and ridiculous for the amount of responsibility that was put on us. The assistant manager wasn't able to do the same and is still working there, so far as I know. She was a special needs teacher before taking that job, but had to quit because a kid literally broke his desk over her back and caused permanent nerve damage to her spine.

As a result, she was (legally) only supposed to work 25 hours per week to take advantage of the union provided worker's comp, which wasn't enough for her family to live on by itself. However, after her experiences as a teacher, she refused to go back into the school system and had to look for work elsewhere--landing her in the hell of retail management.

>> No.7149951

I worked 2 years electronics retail.
never fucking again.

drunks, homeless people, weebs coming for a place to hang out because this is a small town, neckbeard mouthbreathers because our tabletop and etc shop is next door, drug dealers, the retarded potato man, small northern community callers, demanding Iphone whores, and screaming children.

pick your category, get a story.

>> No.7149958

>>7149951
Please ma'am, tell us about the retarded potato man

>> No.7149968

>>7146598
I work replenishment here and it's the best fucking job I've had. Barely have to deal with customers even when working past open! That said, I haven't run into any cosplayers; though I do have a coworker who is mysteriously under the impression the best way to get a good wig is to get a plain one and color it with Sharpies....

>> No.7149977

>>7149951
Okay, the retarded potato man.

This gentleman is large. REALLY LARGE. and wierdly shaped. his face sinks into his neck fat, and he looks honestly like a big fleshy potato.

now, generally i dont have issue with the mentally ill (my younger brother is autistic)
but this guy takes the fucking cake, he's the rudest man i know.

He would come in, NEVER buy anything, and would rant at us about nothing, grope female staff, tear down displays, push into conversations, and threatened to kill me because i dont like star wars.

he would also bring in crazy homeless people who threatened to shoot up the place, and a junkie who hid behind some shelving in the corner and started shooting fucking heroin

the joys of retail.

>> No.7150037

I love these stories.

>> No.7150199

Used to work stock as a Victoria's Secret on the Vegas strip. Pay was okay, and most of my shifts were before the store was opened for the day, so I actually didn't hate it too much. But being there during the day was miserable.
>Customers asking about panties by openly showing them to me
>Because we're on the Strip, people can come in with their alcoholic drinks. One woman came in, opened a drawer of bras, and threw up on them. $2000+ worth of merch, destroyed.
>Foreign customers buying 50 of the same panty. Mostly just a pain to ring up, but pleasant enough.
>Bitchy bridal parties that feel super entitled about everything and treat the ladies on the floor like shit.
>People that watch me fix the panty displays, and just ruin them for fun without buying anything.
>People trying to come in when we close the doors AT MIDNIGHT to buy things
Plus, since we were on the Strip, we opened every day, regardless of holiday, 10 am to midnight. I've done overnight shifts where I was there for 13+ hours setting up displays, had to stay late multiple times for actually doing work, etc. They do give you a lot of free or either really cheap products. I'm glad to not be doing that anymore.

>> No.7150330

People have an obsession with plastic bags. They are the most flimsy piece of shit bags and will NOT "PROTECT" your fucking frame. Your car is parked like 30 feet away anyways.

I had this old bitch come in and buy an expensive frame, like 80 dollars on sale. I finished and gave it back to her,mind you she was one of those old bitches who scoffs while writing her check for 15 minutes.
I give her back the frame, it's huge, she just stares at me for 10 seconds looking annoyed as fuck. "Aren't you going to put it in a bag!?"
"No I'm sorry ma'am but our bags aren't large enough or strong enough."
"Well in the mall they double bagged my clothes and their bags were good quality!"
Yeah that's them, and I see your bag and you got 3 items of clothing...
"IKm sorry but they are a different company than us, there is nothing I can do to make this frame go into a bag".

"THEN I DON'T WANT IT"
She thenslams it down on my. Register. Mind you the whole time I was bbalancing this huge frame on my tiny register counter.
"Okay ma'am, I'll call my manager over to void, but with checks it usually takes a 10 day wait. If anything goes wrong"
She is fuming, I take the frame and place it leaning againt the bottom counter.
Call manager over
"Hey I need a void if you c-" "SHE PUT MY FRAME ON THE DIRTY GROUND SO I'm RETURNING IT AND SHE SIAD I WOULDN'T GET MY MONEY BACK"
Manager scolds me and gives her a return, since it was a post void the check was refunded, which never happens normally.
"SEE YOU CAN RETURN THISS. SCAMMER, YOU SHOULD BE FIRED"

After she is gone my manager lectures me about putting stuff on the ground even though that is what we do and there was no other place to put a huge frame, and tell he she wanted to return it before that.

And she dodesn't believe me UGGHH

>> No.7150442

>>7150199
>Customers asking about panties by openly showing them to me

Best job ever.

>> No.7151126

>>7150442
It would have been alright, if every woman who did that was actually either young or hot. It was always older flabby women in their 50s/60s. I'm all for the old hotness, but man... just describe them. I don't need to see them.

>> No.7151449

I worked seasonal at Party City. Before The day before Halloween, it wasn't too bad. Mostly just horny teens buying costumes with their boyfriends or parents with a couple of kids looking for trick or treat costumes. Every once in a while, you'd get a weeby gawth looking for a new "lolita outfit".
But the day before Halloween was awful. We had about 20 people in the store. About 1 for every 80 or so customers.
Stories include dumb bunny bitch, biker lady looking for accessories to wear on the reg, a price changing old Spanish man, and a ton of kids that were just there to ruin your aisle.
I think the worst part was being squeezed into an aisle with 100+ people and being expected to take care of all of them and keep them out of products. It got to the point where I had to call a manager and take 5 minutes in the back.
The GM was a total bitch too. She was this old racist black lady that couldn't remember my name because my "skin is so pale, it's brainwashing". There were times I was too busy to go to lunch, so she made me clock out for the last hour and work anyway off the clock.

>> No.7153759

>>7149843
I-I remember that stuff...

and felt my pulse jump when you described it. oh man, people ate the shit up, didn't they?