[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 82 KB, 640x640, 1376722721992.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7079811 No.7079811[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Can we have a new-to-lolita thread?

I have been pondering getting into the fashion. A lot of it is above my desired price range, though, and I'd much rather just make my own skirts and such since I come from a cosplay background and know how to sew.

Any tips for a potential incoming newbie? Things you wish you had known ahead of time?

>> No.7079848

>>7079811
If you're planning to sew your own, choose your fabric carefully. There's nothing wrong with handmade, but lots of people just pick a cutesy all-over print on lightweight quilting fabric and it ends up tacky.

Also, don't do this:
>http://sew-loli.livejournal.com/1810606.html

That community is pretty good though if you want help or opinions.

Also, do lots of looking at Hellolace and Lolibrary so you get a feel for what the dresses are supposed to look like.

>> No.7079854

Get your loli from taobao, that's what I'm doing(or planning to do. I keep finding jfa I want more so my loli budget gets put aside)

If you're going to make some skirts design and fabric will make up 70% of how good it looks so I'd just suggest looking at some designs you like

start out with non prints as most of the handmade skirts I've seen have really tacky prints or prints that are just too busy/small to work

>> No.7079865

>>7079854
This. I have a skirt I made as practice and was left over fabric. It's cute but I would never use it as an actual Loli skirt because the print is way to small and busy.

>> No.7079883

Get some proper undergarments. Whether your busty or not, it will make all your outfits better. Make sure you know your proper bra size, and invest some money in some fucking bras. Minimizing bras are great, even if they look like granny bras.

>http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/comments/rh26h/is_getting_fitted_for_a_bra_as_humiliating_as_it/c469bi0

Also, invest in a petticoat or two.

>> No.7079886

>>7079854
If you do have a printed fabric that you really love, a nice ruffle/ruffled underskirt might be able to make it work.

>> No.7080414

>>7079848
Don't be a bed gijinka? Okay got it.
I'll look into the others you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice so far.
>>7079883
Any comments regarding petticoats aside from 'get some'?

>> No.7080416

>>7079811
Alien crone on the right always gets me in this picture considering the caption

>> No.7080446

>>7080414
For a large amount of poof, Classical Puppets has some good ones. Malco Modes does as well. My number one suggestion is to go for one that gets its poof from layers and layers of soft organza and not from a couple layers of stiff tulle. The tulle one will lose poof over time while an organza one will stay fluffy for a very, very long time.

>> No.7080464

>>7079811
I also came from a long cosplay background as well. You'll want to have a couple of good lolita items in your closet to work with as a starting point before you start making things. I'd suggest Taobao or Bodyline. You can also check the various Japanese 2nd hand sites. I just recently got an AP print for $100. I say this because in my newbie phase, I made some crazy alterations and made a number of really wonky things not really knowing better. It was only until a few months later when I started buying more things that I really noticed how stupid my errors were simply because I had nothing to reference.

There are some similarities with cosplay and lolita, and some big differences. Wigs aren't quite as huge in Lolita as they are in cosplay. You don't need a new wig for every coord. I find that having a wide variety of natural wigs works far better than a ton of crazy colored wigs. I've honestly sold all my pastel wigs in favor of natural colors.

Simularities? Going through putting on makeup, making yourself look neat and polished completes the look just the same as in cosplay.

If you are well-versed in high quality fabrics, trims, and all of that, finding items is a no-brainer (be it existing items or items to use for what you're making). It's the kids who go for the $1 cheap craft bin raschel lace for every cosplay that get in trouble when they move into Lolita.

Lolita is more about being yourself in something pretty. So it can be kind of a shock when you're at a con and people ask for photos because HOSHIT how do I pose? So definitely be sure to look at GLB and lolita pictures for posing ideas.

The lolita community as a whole isn't really as bad as everyone makes it out to be. /cgl/ will get you worked into a nervous tizzy about doing everything right the first time and from then on. But unless you are filthy rich and "flawless-desu" you're going to make mistakes, coords are gonna be a little off, and that's normal. Don't sweat it too much.

>> No.7080490

You've received a lot of good advice in this thread, OP, but my number one tip is this: join a comm, online or otherwise, and ask them for opinions on pieces before purchasing an item or a single yard of fabric. More experienced lolitas were my godsend when I was fumbling through my newbie stage. They taught me how to pose, how to sew, and how to choose quality materials. When I got a more substantial income and wanted to buy, they led me in the right direction.

>> No.7080493

>>7080464
Also ran out of room.

Wigs: You don't NEED to use them. Some people prefer to use them over their natural hair. But unlike cosplay, it's not going to ruin your outfit if you decide to use your natural hair. Just make sure you take time to style it nicely.

Another big difference is that as a fashion, the fun comes from wearing things in different ways and making different possibilities and looks with things. Rather than wearing the same costume over and over again. There's a lot more room for creativity.

Also a big difference when sewing lolita and sewing cosplay. If you make your costumes to hold up for one or two cons before you work on the next one, you're in for some trouble. If you make your costumes to last for years and to go through the wash machine, you'll be better off. This is also true with construction, especially if you compete in high divisions. In a good competition, It's always the best-constructed garment that wins, not the showiest thing on stage. I've seen simple well designed garments win in Masters over huge elaborate showy costumes that looked amazing on stage but when judged, you could tell it was going to fall apart and not hold up for more than one or two cons.

A well designed and constructed lolita garment is going to show. There is no "eh, it's just a quick cosplay" with Lolita. You make it with the intent to be a real, wearable garment. It's the construction and detail that makes Lolita what it is. Where in cosplay, unless you are competing, construction can sometimes fall to the wayside as long as the details are "accurate~!"

>> No.7080530

>>7080414
>bed gijinka
That's the best description of that mess I've ever heard.

>> No.7080576

I don't necessarily want to sew lolita or cosplay, but I do want to start sewing. Where start?
Last time I was in a fabric store (Fabricland) I got condescending sneers and rolled eyes when I asked about about garment quality cotton ...

>> No.7080753

Two things that will make sewing Lolita 50% easier are a ruffle foot and a double needle. When I started sewing, I would hand pin the ruffles to the waistband, which would take forever. Now I pretty ruffle the skirt, then pin to fit. Takes half the time!

A double needle isn't specifically needed, but you can use it to make cute pintucks, or to attach lace rows evenly. It also makes top stitching and machine embroidery touches look professional.

As far as fabric quality, I second buying at least one "official" Lolita piece before you start sewing. Not Bodyline, but second hand brand, quality taobao, or indie brand. It will really give you a taste for how quality garments feel and look. (Also a feel for the proper proportions of a Lolita garment)

one more thing- Don't be surprised when you spend a lot on your materials. There's a reason why highly regarded taobao is still expensive. Sure, this is a cheaper way of building a Lolita wardrobe, but cutting a lot of corners can make your handmade seem like, well, handmade...

>> No.7080791

>>7080576
>Where start?
Get a sewing machine and learn to use it on some cheap fabric. Or hand-sew if you're really up for that. After you're comfortable with it, start on small projects like pillowcases, small plushes, handbags, etc.
Get one of those easier patterns (something like an apron or chemise) and work up to the more difficult stuff. The patterns might have a difficulty on them somewhere, easy/beginner to hard/advanced. If you don't know what something means, look it up.
http://www.nyfashioncenterfabrics.com/fabric-glossary.html

As for how to pick cotton:
http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelines/4_105_cotton.pdf

>> No.7080860

>>7080791
Thanks!

>> No.7080863

Is spoonflower okay to buy fabric from? I've heard mixed reviews of dresses made from spoonflower prints.

>> No.7081160

>>7080863

Yes and no.

It's alright in lighter colors, but you want to use their Cotton Sateen or Cotton Poplin. Do not use the basic combed Cotton. The Kona is mediocre, but not terrible. You also have to be very cautious about washing (follow their washing instructions for type of detergent and use cool water).

Do not use spoonflower for dark or super bright colors

>> No.7082413

When you first started out, did you pick a major sub style or did you just buy dresses/accessories/etc that you liked and try to put them together? I can't really decide which sub style I like the most, I just keep picking pieces that I really like that look like they would go together well to me, and when people ask me "what kind of lolita do you like best?", I don't really know how to answer it.

>> No.7082436

>>7082413

You don't necessarily have to stick to one style. What I did was I selected a tone, (Black), then two colours that match my skin tone (Wine, and royal purple), whenever I buy or make anything it has to be one of these colours.

Second you select motifs you like and they can come from any category, so if you like something in black with ice cream motifs then get it, and something else with crosses thats in a shade that matches your skin tone then get it.

You could go White, dusty pink, and mint, and easily do sweet, and classic.

Black, purple, and mint. Sweet Gothic.

Ect.

But seriously stick to a tone, two colours, and five motifs. It'll make buying and coording accessory super easy but also give you a versatile enough wardrobe so you can span across styles.

>> No.7082440

>>7082436
Thanks, that helps a lot!

>> No.7082836
File: 71 KB, 800x800, $T2eC16N,!yEE9s5jEbLzBR3)tdrfcw~~60_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone have a favorite machine?
Do you also have a serger and embroidery machine.

I was looking toward industrial sewing machines, because they can sew leather as well as voile.

I never get the garment quality seams with department store brand machines. I was looking at Necchi and JUKI brands.

Any help as I don't know where to start.

>> No.7082841

>>7082836
best thing to do if you're looking at a juki or any other industrial is spring for the computerized version. anything else is 10000% headache.

if you get the basic base line you have to, by hand, turn the wheel to get the needle to come up at the end of every seam. it's misery.

>> No.7083069

>>7082841
Thanks, every comment helps!
I'll look into the computer control.

>> No.7083257

>>7079848
There's currently a large sale going on on fabric . com's site with a lot of loliable fabrics for like 7 bucks a yard, and they usually hold quite a few through the year. There's no reason why you need to use tacky, thin gross bedsheets- ironically I've noticed that a lot of people who sew bedsheet items never actually wear them.

>> No.7083264

>>7082841
How is that misery? I have to do that with my sewing machine and it takes 2 seconds to get the thing all the way up and snip the thread.

>> No.7083379

Could Chiffon and Damask go together? I would like to make a dress out of a heavy damask and a lighter, opaque layer of chiffon over it. Would it work or would they totally look out of place with each other?

>> No.7084104

>>7083379
I feel like I'd like it. If you're not sure take the fabrics and put them over each other before sewing.

>> No.7084144

>>7082836
I have a Juki DL-8500 and I love it. It doesnt sew particularly well with heavy topstitching thread, but that is the only complaint I've ever had. I've sewn almost any type of silk you can imagine on it, no problem. Done fine on cottons and heavier bottom weights as well. Never tried it on leather, but I have actually sewn THROUGH plastic poly boning instead of using casings and no problem. Remember though, it is a STRAIGHT STITCH LOCK STITCH. it only has one function. It cannot do buttonholes without a very annoying hard to used button hole foot. It cannot ever do zigzag, specialty stitches etc. I keep my home machine for those purposes, but generally use my juki the most. Hope that helped.

>> No.7086388

Probably the best place to ask. I really want a phone case most Lolitas have with all the cute pink shit pasted all over it. Any good sellers that have premade ones?

>> No.7086548

>>7086388
san x has nice ones
shop kawaii sells them

>> No.7086553

>>7086388
Ebay has a shitton.