[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 53 KB, 610x379, tawa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7039239 No.7039239 [Reply] [Original]

Have any seagulls been to Japan recently?

Know any great places for cosplay supplies?
Find any particularly out-of-the-way boutiques?
Eat at any good cafés or restaurants?

Maybe we can share our knowledge of the country, and any stories we have about our visits?

>> No.7039268

I keep thinking i have, but then I remember it was almost a year ago.
So... sad.

>> No.7039432
File: 100 KB, 500x375, tumblr_mnjsfhjcoI1r79soxo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Are you a girl? Cause I want to visit the Swallowtail cafe for the beautiful atmosphere, a real butler, and a lovely tea time.

>> No.7039444

>>7039432
I recently went twice during my time there. I recommend the "Hestia" (vanilla) tea. It was my favorite thing! It would have been more fun if I was fully fluent in Japanese so I could have had conversations with my butler. As a foreigner, they stumble trying to communicate and do just the bare minimum.

>> No.7039455

I was around for three weeks at the end of May and most of June and I went to both Tokyo and Osaka. Are you thinking about anything in particular? I can cover cosplaying, lolita and being a fujoshi at least.

>> No.7039468

>>7039444
>As a foreigner, they stumble trying to communicate and do just the bare minimum.

For such a fine establishment I would hire a westerner who was fluent in Japanese or a Japanese man who was fluent in English. Both would have some appeal to the market that frequents such places.

>> No.7039569

>>7039239
That would make a cute print

>> No.7039609

I want to start saving for and planning a trip to Japan. This will be my first trip there [hell, itll be my first trip out of state] and I want to focus mainly on shopping, and just general vacationing i guess. So what I would like would be some cost opinions, aside from shopping and extra things how much do you guys usually shell out for your trips? plain tickets,hotel, basic food costs and such. how much would be a safe bare minimum?

tl;dr how much do you guys spend on these trips?

>> No.7039836

>>7039468
Agreed! I was dying to go when I went, but they spoke 0 english and I didn't feel I could justify the price if I couldn't even have a conversation with them. From what I saw of the decor though, it was gorgeous, the butlers were friendly, and everyone inside seemed to be having a great time!!

>> No.7039853

>>7039455
Fujoshi tips? I'm actually going over there to study next year and would really like to indulge my rotten girl insides. Last time i went with family so I could only really get into lolita-related things without getting some weird questions.

>> No.7039861

hnnnggg, all the sweet sweet milk tea at 300 yen a big jug at convenience stores. Japan made me fat

>> No.7039866

stay at the 9hours hotel if anyone plans on visiting the famous Osaka food district. It's a cheap but stylish pod hotel

>> No.7039868

>>7039609
I did a 2.5 week trip to Japan with three friends in June and paid about $2500 for airfare, hotel, 7-day Japan Rail Pass, and general transportation.

- 1300 airfare
- 300 JR pass
- 750 hotel
- 150 misc transport (subway, bus, train etc.)

Since we were in a group of four, we split hotel costs between us. It usually came out to about $40-50 a night, with the exception of the one time we stayed in a ryokan which was $80. I think that's probably about the minimum you can expect for hotel, more if you're travelling by yourself, obviously.

Food costs can pretty much be whatever you want them to be. If you live on stuff from the convenience store and cheap fast food, you could probably do as little as $15/1500yen a day. If you want to eat out all the time, $30 and up. We ate dinner at a lot of izakayas which came out to around $20 per meal with a drink. Most lunches were around $10, less if it was something like ramen, more if it was fancier.

In all I think I spent about $4500, but I did a lot of touristy things and bought a bunch of stuff. You could easily go for a lot less.

>> No.7039877

>>7039868
fuck, you didn't have to spend so much on a JR pass for such a short time, unless you took like 10 trains a day or something. I found it cheaper just paying for every ride individually since I was there for such a short time.

>> No.7039885

always try the mom n pop stores/ small food shops. It really gives you a feel for the place

>> No.7039891

>>7039609
I went on a week trip to Tokyo with my boyfriend and we ended up spending about 2k each including some light shopping. Plane tickets booked in advanced was around $800 round trip. As you know, plane ticket prices change constantly so it can be anywhere up to 1k. We booked a hostel with a private room that was like a cute bed and breakfast but traditionally decorated. Travelled by subway and walked a lot. Didn't indulge on expensive meals. When I went the yen was near 73 to 1 USD... so we lost out on that. But plan on going this year for New Years for some lucky pack shopping and seeing the places we didn't get to last time.

>> No.7039899

>>7039853
When I went I made sure I was in time for the DMMD Reconnect animate cafe along with the Queen Dolce Reconnect event. Those two were of course great events so I recommend to always look out for what cafes animate are opening each month. The one I went to was in Ikebukuro, there is one I think in Osaka but they have different themes to the one in Ikebukuro. Queen Dolce is in Akihabara and is a really friendly bar for fujoshi. You can google them but their bar is high up so you have to look out for it. It's on the main street of Akihabara though and has a sign on the sidewalk. Some of them spoke okay english but I would recommend a bit of Japanese. They were a bit busy when I went though because it was the last day of the DMMD event. Really lovely cocktails though.

Ikebukuro has a lot of the second hand doujinshi stores. You will probably head towards K-books doujinshi store but along the way there is Mandrake which I think is even bigger and a wider collection. Both are good though to check out. The aisles have a print out that explain what's in each of them so it's easy to find a series.

I talked with some of the Japanese fujoshi which I would recommend a try, they are pretty fun! They helped me book things for like a butler cafe (that isn't swallowtail actually) and took me around some of their favourite shops.

Osaka though in their K-books and Mandrake I found slightly more rare/weirder fujoshi goods. I was really impressed with the things I found while going about Den Den Town and the prices were a bit better than Tokyo.

Nearly all the big anime shops in Akihabara though or Ikebukuro had at least one fujoshi level or sometimes even more. Animate is probably one of the best and easy to find though. Also I think it's animate that has lots of capsule machines to the side of it where fujoshi sell their own badge designs, usually with weird BL stuff all over them so something to look out for.

I can post pictures of any of this if you want also.

>> No.7039933

>>7039868
>Food costs can pretty much be whatever you want them to be.
Definitely this. If you're in the city, there'll be loads of Sukiyas where you can get a japanese breakfast for 300~800+ yen, you can live off convenience store food, or eat out at the restaurants everywhere. I recommend the kirin beer hall, the ramen place in tokyo station where you order from the vending machines outside, and that bourgeois food hall full of cake boutiques (around the station too? shinjuku maybe?).

>> No.7039954

get yourself a business man's beef bowl anons

>> No.7039980
File: 115 KB, 481x480, q-pot cafe staff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I suggest going to kani doraku you can go to the one on Tokyo if you need English accommodations but we went to the one in Osaka.
I also suggest Q-pot cafe. You'll see some lolitas and other types eating there. It's really fun and the menu is bilingual if I remember correctly and so is the website.

I always go to Japan with the intent of spending lots of money so I have a lot saved up and purchase my tickets for anything months in advance so that's out of the way.

>> No.7040044

>>7039980
their smiles frighten me...

>> No.7040048
File: 181 KB, 1600x1600, q-pot cafe worker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7040044
Some people just have unnatural smiles. Though all the people at the cafe are fun and really love their jobs. Smiles were abound in the cafe.

>> No.7040161

>>7039877
If we'd only been on local trains that would have been true, but we traveled around a bit on the Shinkansen. We spent a week in Tokyo then split the remaining time among Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara, so actually it was very much worth it.

>> No.7040177

I stayed in Tokyo as a pit stop on my way to Hong Kong for 4 days, and basically lived off of 7/11's delicious and cheap oden and ikura onigiri.

The saved money went towards shopping in 109 and Solamachi

>> No.7040217

>>7039980
Kani Doraku has some set menus (especially around lunchtime) that are fairly cheap, like $30-40. Dat food is good too.

>>7039868
Get a JR rail pass only if you plan on making multiple shinkansen trips. If you're just going to stay in one area, not worth it.
Instead of buying tickets for each train rain, get a Suica or Pasmo, they're easy to make and there's guides on Youtube. Never have to worry about looking up train fares again!

>> No.7040251

Y'all are talking about $800 tickets and I'm confused. Does anyone with a lot of experience going to Japan at different times during a year know when the cheapest time to fly is? I know Summer is generally the most expensive, so at what times can you score decent tickets for less than a grand?

>> No.7040798

>>7039899
Pictures would be fantastic anon, if you have any?

>> No.7040800

>>7039980
>>7040048
NGL, I gasped. Do they sell Q-Pot merch there too? I know Ladurée in New York & on the Champs Elyséée sell the cookbooks, tea and charms, I'd love if they did something like that in Q-Pot.

>> No.7040803

>>7040177
What did you think of 109?
Are you gyaru or were you just in for a mooch about?
I'm a lolita (classic & gothic), would I get stares or cold treatment if I went shopping there?

>> No.7040810

>>7040251
Spring/Summer is the most expensive time to go overall. Fucking Golden Week, man... Summers are hot too, so if you're a Lolita or Mori Girl give it a miss, go in Autumn. Winters are cold, and they shut down lots of stuff for new years, so I'd say the fall is the best time of year.

Hey, question for you guys.
I've been to Tokyo Disney... Nobody told me it was split into Land and Sea. I chose "Land" last time. What's it like in Disney Sea?

>> No.7040811

Café Excelcior.
It looks like a Starbucks, it's in Shibuya. I only went in because I was starving and I'm a Marvelfag so the name tickled me. Best fucking milk tea I've ever had.

>> No.7040821

>>7040810
I found Tokyo Disney to be really disappointing. 2-3 hour wait for any of the major rides, and they didn't even have much else. Their Space Mountain was the old clackety one too, but it's been a while since I've gone so I wonder if they've updated it to the new one.

>> No.7040830

Anyone know if there are hotels that have kitchens in them? Just because food costs could go down a lot if we were able to make food at "home".

>> No.7040949

>>7039609
Bring half of what you'll think you'll need and twice as much money.

>> No.7040966

>>7040161
oh okay, I thought you were just staying in a certain region. The Shinkansen usually costs 100$ to get from osaka to tokyo

>> No.7040974

>>7040949
this and I suggest bringing a large backpack instead of a wheelie suitcase. The japanese looove stairs in their transportation systems

>> No.7041020

>>7040803
Just don't wear full lolita? There are some himegyaru type staff in 109 but honestly, going around it in a full petticoat would just be too packed and you'll knock everything over. Wear something cute!

>> No.7041025

>>7040974
It's so funny, when we researched about Japan we read a lot about this 'so many stairs!' stuff.
As well as 'beds are so small!', 'food portions are so small!', 'food is expensive!',

To us europeans, it was all bullshit. Maybe it's like that for people from bigger places?

>> No.7041034

>>7040800
Some, and the Q-pot store is right across the street

>>7040803
It's loud and crowded. They're used to tourists. If you want more personal attention from the staff, go to stores in Shinjuku.

>>7040830
Not really. Most hotels that are even remotely affordable are just a bed with enough space to walk around it and a bathroom. You could try renting a weekly apartment. But groceries are pretty expensive too. When you can get a beef bowl for $3-5, buying the meat, rice, and vegetables yourself are going to be about the same price.

>> No.7041200

>>7041020
Cool, I'll bear that in mind. Pretty sure otome-ish clothes work well everywhere. I'll try that.

>> No.7041237

Japan is a shopping paradise and it really wants you to spend more money, more so than any other country I've been to. I wouldn't bother going there if I had to skimp on everything because I wouldn't want to miss out on all the themed cafes, delicious tasty nibbles, clothes shopping, day trips, afternoon teas, and everything else that is costy there.

>> No.7041361

>>7040251
Fall is good, and late winter/early spring, around March.

>> No.7041369

Just a note, if you're planning to get cash out of ATMs while there, it was much easier for me to find ones that took foreign Visa cards than foreign Mastercard.

>> No.7041380

>>7040798
What kind of pictures would you like? I have lots of the various merch you can buy, the DMMD cafe, Queen Dolce, the butler cafe and lots of Akihabara/Den Den Town.

If anyone is a cosplayer and feels good enough about their costumes I can also talk about my experiences going to one of their cosplay photo studios in Osaka.

>> No.7042355

Damn, pretty much all of the cheap flights fall during school time. I am seeing good prices for late Augsust and into September, maybe I'll start saving for the next year.

>> No.7042766

>>7042355
In July, August, & into September Japan is extremely hot and humid. In the 90s with 60% or more humidity which pushes the head index up even further, and it doesn't cool down much at night. So if you don't mind being a sweaty mess...

>> No.7042853

>>7041369
this
and also, you can find an atm with any postoffice pretty much

>> No.7042863

>>7041369
ATM that take foreign cards:
Citibank, Japan Post, 7-11 (7-11 does not take Mastercard)
IIRC Maestro cards aren't accepted at any ATMs right now

>> No.7042874

>>7042863
7-11 also only lets you take things out in increments of 10,000 yen whereas I found I could choose however much I wanted from Japan Post and ATMs at post offices (which may also be Japan Post, I don't remember)

>> No.7042886

I live in Japan-- and for those of you wondering if you'll be treated negatively for dressing gyaru or Lolita, you won't be. Fashion is so expressive and creative here. Everyone wears whatever they want and rocks it.

Also I would say that it cheaper to but food from the convenience store or to go to matsuya or sukiya than but your own groceries to prepare a meal.

If you have a debit card you can withdraw your money from any post office ATM. All the post offices have a distinctive T sign out front-- you can't miss them.

Japanese summers are the worst. Just don't come in the summer lol.

>> No.7042889

>>7042886
Wow autocorrect really loves changing buy to but wtf plz ignore

>> No.7043038

>>7040810
>>7041361
>>7042766
So basically, go in October/November?
But when does Japan's holiday season start? My country has a couple of holidays in November and early December so our holiday season starts way early. I assume it's pretty much over by February/March but then it might be too cold.
Japan why are you so difficult

>> No.7043185

I'm going in the middle of September because there's a couple of things I really need to see at Odiaba. Only going for a week though, because time off work and money.

I got air and hotel through Expedia, checked hotels on Trip Advisor. The hotel is cheap as Tokyo hotels go, and 4 stars on Trip Advisor. We'll see.

Another option is AirBnB, where you rent some or all of a person's house or apartment. If you're going in a group, this can be a really great alternative, and the person you're renting from can be a great travel resource, too.

One last thing, I'm renting a pocket wifi hotspot for the week. 6000 Yen, waiting at my hotel when I arrive, pre-paid envelope to return if when I leave. This thing is the size of a pack of cigarettes, and gives you unlimited 3G access anywhere in Tokyo. All my maps, notes, directions and stuff are on my phone, and this is the cheapest way to get online, by far. Plus Skype, Facetime, etc to keep in touch.

>> No.7043262
File: 80 KB, 720x960, 1174681_10201783715818425_287133864_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just got back about 2 weeks ago.

Japan summers= Hot as hell. Invest in cooling wipes and a small towel. If you can get prickly heat powder from a thai shop before you leave, DO IT.

Kyoto/Arashiyama- One of my more favorite places, gorgeous scenery, bamboo forest, and serene temples. Walking on a bridge from the Heian period and visiting a shrine mentioned in the Tales of Genji was pretty cool too. I had already previously went to Gion on my first trip, very lovely geisha shows.

Osaka- Do you like pachinko? Do you like drinking and looking at cool signs? This is the place for you. I ate fugu there, and be warned: You'll feel drunk afterwards, like your brain is swimming. MUST GO TO THE AQUARIUM!

Hakone- This is the ultimate hotspring spot for tourists. Be prepared to lug your shit through jungle. And don't buy the "apple juice", with and unnoticeable marker for 8% alcohol per volume in a can your shit will get fucked up quickly.

Yudanaka/Nagano- Another major tourist hot springs location. Home to the infamous bathing snow monkeys (which have no problem stealing things from you). Go to Matsumoto to see Matsumoto castle. The "crow castle" has almost a gothic feel to it, and the food around the castle is pretty tasty. Tried Basashi (Raw horse sashimi) and that was sooooooo good.

Tokyo- Haneda excel hotel is TOTALLY freaking awesome. Very convenient hotel inside the domestic terminal of Haneda airport, 2 min away from trains going everywhere. Harajuku is worth it. Tokyo tower is worth it.

Any specific questions I'm more than willing to answer!

Pic related: Matsumoto castle. Took this when the sun was going down

>> No.7043363

Has anyone been to Fukuoka? I plan on studying abroad there next year, but I feel like I'll miss out on a lot of things because I won't be on the main island.
I'd prefer to study abroad in Kyoto, but the program is more than twice as expensive.

>> No.7043370

>>7043038

I would suggest going at the end of May, if you wish to go temple hoping. A LOT of highschools go temping hoping around this time and they will be packed with cute highschool kids that ask you questions for their English projects.

Also, it is super nice weather during this time

>> No.7043512

>>7041380
Oh god yes please, all of that.
I want to see all the café snaps. Especially if they made cute food.

And did you bring your cosplays over in your luggage, or did you put them together over there?

>> No.7043519
File: 400 KB, 800x600, 1373954089185.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anybody in this thread happen to know how vegetarian/vegan friendly it is in Japan?
I'd imagine the hardest thing to avoid is seafood and seafood products

>> No.7043529

>>7043519
I had a friend work as a former-vegan teacher there for a year or so, and she said it's sort of difficult because there's a shitload of fish, but not too bad.

>> No.7043533

>>7043519
Not very at all.
You can get buy without eating meat, but you're damned if you want to avoid any product that has been touched by fish or seafood sauce/broth. You could eat a lot of vegetables, but you have to watch out with those as well, as they often have fish/seafood based sauces or sprinklings with them.
None of my vegetarian friends who've gone and spent any decent amount of time in Japan (2 weeks to 4 months) has been able to maintain being a *pure* vegetarian.

It seems like an odd concept to most Japanese people I've spoken with.

>> No.7043795

>>7043185
Seconding the wifi hotspot recommendation. Worked great for me when I was there, easy to get internet on the go. Mine only lasted about 4-5 hours of use on a charge, though, so if you're going to be out all day, I suggest that you keep it off unless you're actively using it.

>> No.7043828

I studied in Kyoto for one summer at Ritsumeikan, we were a quick bus hop from the Gion district and were luckily there for Gion Matsuri. If you need any recommendations for food or shopping, I'd be glad to provide. There are quite a few interesting bars in the Gion district, if that's your thing (including an Irish pub).

I also spent a few months in Tokyo over the past four years. All I can say is look for re-sell shops above all the major arcades. I was in heaven.

Animate cafe was mentioned, but keep an eye out for events at Sunshine city in Ikebukuro. There was a Hetalia one going on and I dragged my poor brother in. Check out the Cure maid cafe (is that still there?) if you can, it's a very "classic" maid sort of place rather than cutesy. The maid won't play games with you, but she'll make sure your teacup is PERFECTLY CENTERED.

As a random note for girls, oddly, I had much more trouble with pervs in Kyoto than in Tokyo... In fact I had no problems in Tokyo. Kinda funny actually, in Akihabara I complimented a guy on his UFO catcher skills (seriously this guy was insanely good) and he gave me what he just won and ran off. In Kyoto I was asked my bra color/size 6 times in as many weeks...

My final general tip: don't feed the fucking deer. Holy shit.

>> No.7043833

>>7043519
You'd have to avoid soups and sauces, since they are often made with fish base or have bonito in them.

>> No.7043835

>>7043828
>My final general tip: don't feed the fucking deer. Holy shit.
I'm laughing so hard but I gotta know, is there a story behind this?

>> No.7043839

>>7043828
Oh god the deer. My sister was pretty young when we went there and we have a picture of her being chased by all the deer and I think it's like a childhood trauma for her now.

>> No.7043852

>>7043835
Never feed the fucking deer. Not even a Japan thing, anywhere with deer: don't feed them. They'll rush you, piss on you, and all kinds of fun things.

>> No.7043865
File: 63 KB, 500x375, fuckingdeer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7043835
Indeed. We went to the deer temple in Nara as a daytrip. It's covered in deer that'll let you pet them etc. I was dying a little because mfg cute deer. Now, the deer have been taught to bow three times to ask for food (like the monks do) which is the cutest fucking thing ever, so of course I went to the cracker stand to buy the deer some crackers.

Suddenly I was surrounded by about 15 of them and they wanted those fucking crackers like I was their dealer, man. That's when I learned that deer bite hard.

Basically, I ended up with multiple deer bite marks on my ass and hip. Left some nasty welts.

Shortly after, I saw a kid holding crackers running screaming from a gang of 4 or 5 of the furry bastards.

Pic shortly before disaster struck.

>> No.7043867

>>7043828
>in Akihabara I complimented a guy on his UFO catcher skills (seriously this guy was insanely good) and he gave me what he just won and ran off
That made my day, that is so cute!

>> No.7043876

>>7043867

Ee, In Tokyo an arcade attendant came over and told me once that if I paid 500 yen in one go, they had a promo where you got a free backpack. (One of those stretch-drawstring ones). So I searched in my pocket and only found 100 yen. Told him I didn't have it-- only 100 yen. He looked in the machine and lined up 3 plush perfectly, and 'accidentally' knocked some into the slot. I played my 100 yen and ended up with like 8 plush. He said "Oh no, now you have many toys! Need a bag!" And gave me the backpack. Made my trip :)

>> No.7043885

>>7043876
I might be going to Japan next winter, so I've been planning to check out the arcade machines in akiba, hopefully I'll get treated as well as you did haha! I'm still not too sure where else to go other than the obvious brand shops and kinji, so I'll keep an eye out.

>> No.7043886
File: 31 KB, 154x190, Cranegamejoe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7043865
>they wanted those fucking crackers like I was their dealer, man.

hahaha

>>7043867
I think you met Game Machine Joe from Sailor Moon. Look out for the negaverse.

>> No.7043894

>>7043885

I actually didn't like many of the arcades in Akiba. They were a lot of figures and stuff, which are very hard to find. I prefer plush. This was actually in Shinjuku at a Round One-- Round One is a good arcade. I really liked the Sega Arcade in Osaka's Shinsaibashi too. Clean, well-attended, good plush and prices. I was picking stuff out of machines like berries from a patch man!

>> No.7043899

>>7043894

My apologies, I remembered. wrong. We were in Ikebukuro.

>> No.7043902

>>7043828
>My final general tip: don't feed the fucking deer. Holy shit.

Haha oh my god, this. There's a park in Nara full of deer and you can feed them, they SWARM you and chase you around. I was literally running from them chucking the food over my shoulder to keep them away. One deer bit me on the upper thigh and a had a gigantic bruise for ages from it. And watch out for your bags/anything you're holding, because they will try to eat everything you own.

>> No.7043907

>>7043828
>>7043876
Those Arcade guys are too sweet!

Where are the best Purikura machines in Tokyo? I wandered into an arcade with a PK section in the back, but I've seen pictures of vast selections of booths in one place.

>> No.7044170

>>7041025
YEah, those were american complaints for sure. I hopped from US > Spain > Tokyo > around europe idek wtf > korea > US again, and the size difference in europe and japan were almost unnoticeable in big cities. Shit's crowded, felt like NYC.

>> No.7044187

>>7043865
mfw this exact same thing happened to me when I went to Japan when I was 14. They totally have animes where the characters go to this park and the deer are all cute and friendly. DON'T BELIEVE IT IT'S ALL LIES

These deer fucking suck.

>> No.7044191

My story:
>wacked up internal clock won't let me sleep, I end up watching a competitive eating gameshow marathon until 2 AM
>end up waking up early and going to the fish market
>sit down to have sushi, don't speak a lick of japanese
>eventually just manage to get across that whatever the guy next to me ordered, I'd have too
>he notices and laughs
>remember eating show from last night, the winner always did this signature 'cutesy' pose whenever she won
>do that impersonation
>he nearly pisses his pants and pays my meal before he leaves
I miss tokyo so much, everyone was so nice (lol gaijin) and it was SO FUCKING CLEAN AND EFFICIENT.

>> No.7044194

>>7043795
Ah, yes, good point. I ordered a second battery with mine (for an extra 1050 yen). Getting mine from "Global Advanced Communications" (subtle name.)

>> No.7044215
File: 1.64 MB, 1046x2492, allthebutlers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7043512
Okay if no one minds I will post some pictures of some cafes and some interesting places to visit! These photos are from two different cafes. One was a maid cafe in Akihabara where all the maids are styled as old english type maids. The shop was also decorated like an old english type house and they have a back story and small comics for all the maids. They also have a sort of book/anime club on certain nights where you can discuss things like Jojo with the maids as most of them are fujoshi/anime fans. That one was called schatz kitse and also have a website.

The second cafe was the butler cafe I went to which I had my Japanese friend reserve a table for as you need to book a table beforehand on the website. They didn't seem to speak any english and spoke really fast, polite japanese. Not recommended for people who don't have someone to translate or can't speak japanese well. The butlers however were all pretty nice and you were treated quite like a princess, though I felt it was a bit embarrassing. They all had cute tuxes too. The menu was nice and as you can see the waffles were pretty awesome.

I bought over two costumes and bought two costumes while there. The cosplay studios of japan are the most amazing things for a cosplayer. I also found quite a few friendly wig shops and preowned cosplay places.

>> No.7044219

>>7044215
*brought even.

>> No.7044261

>>7044215
I went to the Cure Maid cafe in Akiba a few years ago, when they had a special Eva menu going. I heard beforehand that they didn't like you taking pictures and I was terrified of being rude, so I didn't bother.

But I found the staff seemed genuinely friendly and pleasant, and it was a nice experience.

(Probably doesn't hurt that I am a guy with blue eyes and red hair. I had a couple of Japanese girls practice their English on me by saying, "You have beautiful blue eyes." ^_^ )

>> No.7044359

Have any non-Jap Asian anons visited Japan? How did everyone treat you? Sometimes I hear these terrible horror stories and shucks, it scares the shit out of me.

>> No.7044426

>>7043865
http://www.japanator.com/seriously-leave-the-nara-deer-alone-15319.phtml

And you can't even fight back because they're a national treasure.

Can't even wrassle with them, what's the point.

>> No.7044442

>>7044359

I went to Japan with a Vietnamese girl and she didn't have any problems. I don't think they're as friendly as with white people, she talked about how I got way more attention and nice people helping me, but still everyone was very friendly to both of us.

I remember we were in a little restaurant around 10pm one night and we had the nicest grandma of a lady helping us. I dropped a handful of yen onto the ground and had to get off the chair and look under the counter for it and she came rushing over when I got down-- asking if everything way okay, trying to help me, fretting over what was the matter. I had just dropped maybe $1.60 in yen. She was happy to know that I was ok, and so was the food she served.

>> No.7044510

>>7043885
I dunno about Kinji, I took my boyfriend there instead of going to Doki Doki 6% and Spank!, thinking there might be more for him there.
There really wasn't anything for either of us, unless you're into general vintage fashion.

The best stuff they have is only 'rare' because it's [everyday] western brands. Worth a look if you have time to kill and fancy a rummage, but not worth sacrificing something over. It's the same as any vintage or charity store.

>> No.7044526

>>7044359
Being European pale skinny caucasians, we were treated anywhere between alright and like friends wherever we went. You get stared at all the time, but any foreigner does, especially a fat foreigner. People would also suddenly become a lot warmer once learning we were European and not American.
But if you're a few shades darker? Aside from the guys working the Hiphop shops in the markets, we only saw two black people in just over two weeks in Tokyo and the stares they were getting... MY GOD. People would get off of bicycles to stare at them.

The racism towards the chinese and korean apparently isn't fake, too. We saw a lot of 'no kimchi' , 'no china' signs at restaurants. We spoke to a chinese girl working in McDonalds who spoke four languages and had a degree or something but said she couldn't get a better job, it was harsh.

> tl;dr General asian? Sure! White but not fat? Fine! Anything else? Maybe not so polite.

>> No.7044556

>>7044526
Welp... looks like I'm not taking my brown ass to Japan land

>> No.7044561

>>7044556
I wouldn't be totally deterred by this >>7044526 sort of thing. I have a black friend who studied abroad his senior year of uni and said he had a good time. People will stare even if you're white (hell, even I felt uncomfortable at times), and he said he only had two encounters in ~10 months that made him really uncomfortable.
A black woman who is teaching in japan via JET has a tumblr (myjapanland, iirc) and has discussed the subject briefly. You might be able to ask her questions if you're worried/seriously considering going.

>> No.7044562

>>7044526
>the stares they were getting... MY GOD. People would get off of bicycles to stare at them.

I'm black and now I want to go even more cause that is hilarious. I wonder what they would think of my natural fro hair.
Even better would be reactions when polite japanese comes out of my mouth to ask a question.

>> No.7044568

>>7043865
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgCiqBT0Qng

>> No.7044574

>>7044561
Alrighty, thanks. It just had me worried because I have a friend who said she went with a black friend and said people were staring at her like she was a monster... not sure if it was also because she's fat but...

>> No.7044583

>>7044526
I can see people in the countryside staring hard at dark skinned people, but Tokyo? That's a cosmopolitan city.

>> No.7044599

>>7044526
>>7044556

Stares and flat out harassment aren't really the same thing. My parents have gone( I guess I should mention they're mixed, my parents are olive skin toned), and they always caught people staring at them. However, they also mentioned that they met some really great people there, and thought everyone was generally super polite. They were never harassed or treated horribly.

I guess if you catch someone staring, you could always just smile back? And of course speaking the language a little and being courteous never hurts.

>> No.7044644

>>7044526
>The racism towards the chinese and korean apparently isn't fake, too. We saw a lot of 'no kimchi' , 'no china' signs at restaurants. We spoke to a chinese girl working in McDonalds who spoke four languages and had a degree or something but said she couldn't get a better job, it was harsh.
>mfw I'm Chinese

I could pass for a Jap, but I hear Japanese-somethings who don't speak Japanese aren't let off easily either. I guess I won't be going to Japan anytime soon.

>> No.7044665

>>7044526
I'm a black girl. Do you think I could get a job in one of those hip hop stores even if I'm not into hip hop or the clothes?

>> No.7044675

>>7044665
Honey, there's hip-hop clubs that will pay you to stand outside to attract people just because you're black.

>> No.7044687

>>7044665
>>7044675
I'm half black and wandered into one of the hiphop stores in Harajuku. The owner immediately came over and engaged me into a 20 minute conversation about anything he could think of, then gave me a 50% discount on their clothes, THEN asked for my email/facebook.

So, I'd say you have a pretty good shot.

>> No.7044695

>>7044526
Honestly, when I went to Japan, even I stared at non Japs/Asians (even though I'm half black). They're just so uncommon that I got excited seeing something different. One of the things about growing up in America, I guess. You get used to the diversity.

But my experience was nothing but fabulous. If anything, I was mostly ignored/left alone.

>> No.7044711

Several Questions!

Room/Apartments: What's some good website/places for nice apartments that charge monthly? Also, has anyone stayed with Sakura House?

Budget: What would be a basic amount to save up for a 2-3 week trip

Schools: best schools that offer 3-6 month courses that you don't have to go through a US college to get into?

>> No.7044713

>>7044665
>>7044675
http://youtu.be/HNAJWA2gVHE

Ok, this is the first thing I thought of.

>> No.7044716

>>7044675
>>7044687
Ok, thanks.

>> No.7044720

>>7040810
Sea has the more 'fast paced/extreme' rides than land but I don't think it is worth it.

We went to both when we were in Japan as one of the people we went was obsessed with Amusent parks/Disneyland but I really don't think it's worth it.

>> No.7044736

>>7043519
Hello anon, I am a vegetarian and when I was in Japan I found it okay. Breakfast was easy enough, but lunch was a little tricky (due to my lack of japanese) but I had salads, ramen with vegetables, bentos, soba noodles, there were vegetarian options at Disneyland and ate at an 'Italian' restaurant. There are websites like Happy Cow that describes restaurants that are vegetarian friendly.

Some 'vegetarian' food had seafood in it sometimes so just be careful.

Goodluck anon.

>> No.7044752

>>7044713
That was fucking hilarious.

>> No.7044760

>>7044736
Um, you know that most ramen broths are made from meat products? Usually a pork based broth.

>> No.7044831

>>7044675

woah, gonna need some source on this shit.

>> No.7044943

I'd love to go, but I'm ugly and speak almost no Japanese, so I feel like I'd have a hard time getting around and feel judged a lot.

>> No.7045000

>tfw anons talking about how people were super nice to them in the arcades, or how other people thought they were cute/funny and paid their meal
>tfw I won't get japan's famous hospitality because I'm non-white
>tfw I will only get it if I walk into a hip-hop store because the japanese stereotype like no other and expect all darkies to like rap, dance, swag shit and hip hop
>tfw I don't give two shits about "black culture" oreo as fuck but still want the "magic treatment"

>> No.7045018

>>7040803
I actually went early on a weekday, so at that time every store was relatively empty and I navigated around just fine. I'm more into gyaru fashion (Dazzlin, One Spo, Rienda) so that was basically a one-stop shop for me. I liked 109 better than Shinjuku Lumine EST because the store fronts seemed a bit bigger (but maybe that was just my imagination) and had more variety in brands, but I think honestly the Lumine EST shop staffs are nicer. I don't think you'll get stared at there because after all, Shibuya is one stop away from Harajuku on the JR line and probably the girls in Tokyo have already seen it all.

>> No.7045066

For everyone worried about their skin color or Asian-ness, honestly if you are young, thin and cute it trumps all other factors. Japanese people love adorable gaijin of all kinds and will coo over you. If you're fat though you'll just be ignored in Tokyo, possibly stared at in other places. No Japanese person will be rude to you, especially not during a short trip.

>> No.7045087

A few tips I learned besides the general shopping stuff I'm sure you guys know about (I'm a Lolita).

Evangelion Bar in Kabukicho, it's small and awkward but if you can order your drinks in Japanese you'll have a good time.

After you've tried everything on the menu there; go to "The hub" down the road in Shinjuku. It's a English pub with a good mix of foreigners and Japanese people. Most people go there to mingle and speak English or at least a bit. I made a lot of friends there and we learned of other cool places through them. We were also retarded drunk from the eva bar.

Don't forget to cross the road once you get to the end of Takeshita Doori, to Harajuku Doori.

Get a god damn Suica

When in doubt, there is always 600 yen Beer and Gyoza

Marui One, 109 and Laforet are always the bomb, especially around new years since they have amazing sales.

If you go to Harajuku, stop in at Cafe Noa and get the milk tea. I'm a tea addict and i've never had tea like that before.

Eva store in Harajuku

Uhh yeah, any other Lolita/getting smashed with japanese people questions let me know! We drank and partied far too much

>> No.7045097

>>7044943
>I'd love to go, but I'm ugly and speak almost no Japanese, so I feel like I'd have a hard time getting around and feel judged a lot.
Speak my tale sister ;_;

>> No.7045144

I'm going in october for 28 nights and have a nice apartment next to Akihabara! However I'm feeling nervous being a slightly chubs white girl but I read that lolita stores look down on people that don't come in dressed lolita... Is this true?

>> No.7045157

>>7044943
>I'd love to go, but I'm ugly and speak almost no Japanese, so I feel like I'd have a hard time getting around and feel judged a lot.

Hell, if that was the case, I'd be spending my money on something else instead of my annual otaku pilgrimages to Tokyo.

>>7045087
>Harajuku

Don't forget the condom shop.

>> No.7045161

>>7045144

no. I've never been looked down for coming inside while wearing casual stuff. (white chick here yo)

>> No.7045163

>>7045161
That's a relief! Thanks!

>> No.7045168

>>7045066

This. You don't even need to be that thin, I'm of normal weight (although I do have pretty big boobs) and my looks are more on the "feminine pretty" than "cute", but I've never been looked down by any Japanese person, even though I spent over a year in Tokyo. I have a very white skin, which actually got me a lot of compliments rather than lol gaijin comments.

A lot of Japanese people, especially in Tokyo, have this weird fascination with gaijins, so if you are at least of normal looks you can expect a lot of compliments and being hit on.

>> No.7045172

>>7045000
Similar feels here. I'm one of the "other" subcategories of asian, the ones people don't fawn over. And I hear Japanese people really dislike us as well, although the only proof I have of that is internet rumor and the fact that my aunt has been living there, teaching English for 20 years and her in-laws still treat her like a dog. That's not going to stop me from going, though, at least once.

>> No.7045241

>>7044687

Most of the hip-hop looking guys are actually african. Though I'm white, I had a much deeper actual knowledge of hip hop than most of them.

Like punk, its a fashion there, a look. There's not the same stigma of being a poser (for either look)

>> No.7045290

>>7044711
airbnb.com for short/medium stays

>> No.7045318

>>7045087
Do you have a link or an address for the Eva Bar? I could only find the one in Osaka. :P

>> No.7045330

>>7045000
>calling yourself an oreo
Please fucking stop.

>> No.7045377

>>7045066
Agreed. I'm hispanic (though lighter skinned, not mexicandark), 18, and I dress in lolita, and I felt like a fucking celebrity every time I went out. People go out of their way to help you (one little old lady walked me like 3 blocks to the correct train station). Just be polite and open to new experiences, if you look cute and nonthreatening you won't have any issues.

>> No.7046256

>>7045168
Are their standards for normal looks pretty much the same as ours? Like, if I'm a normal white girl in the UK, will I be a normal gaijin by Japanese standards?

>> No.7046287

I really don't see why everyone is worried about what Japanese people think... Unless you're trying to schmooze yourself into a good job then yeah you should care...but if all you're going to do is shop and eat.....it shouldn't matter.

>> No.7046332

>>7044583
Yes, even in Tokyo.
>>7045066
Concur on the skinny/young/cute bit
>>7044599
>I guess if you catch someone staring, you could always just smile back?
Young adults or teens normally suddenly look elsewhere when you catch them staring, but the older generation sometimes don't back down even if you smile and nod at then. I guess the old men have serious seniority in the hierarchy system so it's their right to stare at you like a bug. I had some serious stare-offs with old men in suits once I got used to it.

Like it was said, stares are not flat-out harassment. Aside from one or two possible catcalls, anything yelled at me was friendly or funny.
"RAWK ANNDO ROORU STYLE YO"

Hnng this thread kills me, I want to go back!

>> No.7046414

>>7046256

No tbh, their standards are lower. Most Japanese people haven't seen a lot of white people, so in general they're not very good at judging what's attractive or not. They are good at judging fatness though!

It works both ways though, most westerners (even weeaboos) seem to have really low standards for asian attractiveness.

>> No.7046469

In Osaka in April, I was on a long train ride with few people around. There was a cute Asian Velma-like chick, big glasses, bob hair, with a big sketchbook. I caught her drawing an animu version of me in her sketch book and she was so embarrassed! So I pretended not to notice and she finished her drawing and eventually got off the train. It was cute.

>> No.7046480

>>7046332
oh god I know. I feel like I never shut up about my Tokyo trip whenever anyone mentions Japan, but it was such an amazing experience for me and it ended up pushing me to pursue the major that I'm going into right now. Bless that magical, racist, kawaii land.

>> No.7046484

>>7045318
Sorry no, I just know it's in a tiny building in Kabukicho, near the main (Donki) entrance. Look closely inside the entrances to buildings with stairs and there's a Nerv sign inside. It's seriously hard to find. Took us a few trips to find it

>> No.7046697

>>7046414
I wonder if they think all white people look the same.

>> No.7046711

>>7046697

Pretty much, they do. I constantly have people mention my ~blonde hair~ (it's not - it's brown/auburn) and I've been told I look like random young white female celebrities who I bear no resemblance to.

It's normal though, they just don't have the exposure to white people.

>> No.7046714

This thread has a ton of information I need, but not for the next year and a half.

Fuck.

>> No.7046811

>>7046469
THIS IS ADORABLE

>> No.7047153

>>7044215
Wow, that looks amazing. I know I'm having waffles later now, your fault anon!

On average, how much "face time" would you get with your butler or maid in a typical café? Do they sit with you like hosts and expect conversation?
I speak pretty much NO Japanese, I can use a subway map if I know where I'm going, I have a rough understanding of mannerly phrases like "irashaimasen" "shitsureishimas" "orimas" and "arigato gozaimas/zonjimas". Even simple chatting would be a challenge for me.

Am I wasting my time or going to embarrass myself or my server in one of these places? Or will they understand and leave me and my friend alone to eat our fancy waffles?

>> No.7047162

>>7044720
How drenched do you get on the Sea rides? Is it a water-heavy park? See I'm a natural blonde who dyes her hair dark, and I fill in my eyebrows with pencil because they're super light and fine. I really don't want to wander around Disney looking like an incomplete Mrs Potato Head, half the fun is taking photos with the characters and backdrops.

(Even though I know Disney is kind of a hassle, I still have to go. I've promised myself I would.)

>> No.7047175

>>7045018
That sounds wonderful, thank you! I enjoy weekday shopping the most anyway, so I'll definitely give it a go. (I'm betting money that my gyaru-loving friends will hand me a shopping list the day before I fly out, so a visit is inevitable.)

>> No.7047181

Drinking etiquette! I want to know what you know!
How hard did you find it to speak Japanese when you were drunk?

How much would you bring on a night out?
Did wearing Lolita impact your holiday at all?

>> No.7047184

>>7046332
>"RAWK ANNDO ROORU STYLE YO"
I'm dying!

How do you dress, anon? Are you Male or Female?

>> No.7047186
File: 16 KB, 292x227, drunk as hell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7045087
Sorry, I forgot to hit reply. This comment is at you:

>>7047181

>> No.7047198

I want to go with my mother but she classes as overweight and is about to get a gastric band, but does this mean we're going to be stared at a lot? I'm average white girl but it'll be horrible for her as she's already self conscious of it..

>> No.7047204

>>7045087
Do NOT go to Kabukicho looking for the Evangelion bar. I went last night to find that it had closed down and has since been replaced. Luckily Robot Wars was across the street so I did that instead.

>> No.7047212

>>7045318
I went last night to find that it had closed down. I confirmed with a number of promoters on the street that remember seeing the Nerv sign. It's pretty much right across the new Robot Wars place. The Osaka one appears to still be open. If you search Bar NERV you can find their twitter

>> No.7047235

A few things I would recommend....
- If you want to get out of Tokyo for a day or two I suggest going to Kamakura if you're a fan of Elfen Lied or Hakone if you're a fan of Evangelion to do the "anime pilgrimages." This isn't everyone's cup of tea but I found it very interesting. There are many different pilgrimages from various animes but these are the two I've done.
- Seeing the 1:1 scale Gundam in Odaiba was cool but you can probably skip the "gundam frontier." The atmosphere at the Gundam cafe in Akihabara is cool but the food is so-so.
- If you're really into Evangelion FujiQ Highland has a whole exhibit of Eva stuff including the 1:1 scale bust. Plus the park has some cool coasters.
- I went to an Evangelion art exhibit in Ginza the other day with lots of original art work. Very cool but it ends on the 26th.
- Comiket is cool but its so hot as balls here now that it made cosplaying pretty miserable. I went as a cyber Umbreon and got lots of compliments and photo requests.
- Pokemon Center is a yes.
- Ghibli Museum is cool.
- LOVE ClosetChilds and you should go there before blowing all your money in brand stores. Don't wear too complicated of an outfit to harajuku if you want to try things on.
- Themed restaurants like the Alice one in Shinjuku is cute. If you want to go hardcore cute there's a rabbit cafe in Harajuku where you can sip tea and feed rabbits (they have cat cafes too but I'm allergic).

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have them. I live in Japan.

>> No.7047302

>>7047204
But do go to the Capcom Bar. Shit's awesome. Make sure you book.

>> No.7047388

>>7047302
This led me to find out a new Final Fantasy cafe opened in Shinjuku as well. Thank you anon.

>> No.7047419

/c/um/g/uzz/l/ers in Tokyo stick out like sore thumbs and generally annoy the rest of the populace.

Please stop making Japan out to be your retard paradise and remain where you are. We don't need another Applemilk.

>> No.7047467
File: 360 KB, 400x320, sobbing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7047235
Does the Bunny Café have a website, or can you give me an address?

>> No.7047472

>>7047181
Japanese people speak better English the more they drink. I'm sure your language skills will improve the same way

>> No.7047485

>>7047467

When we went to Harajuku there was a guy handing out pamphlets.

http://raagf.com/staff/

>> No.7047499

>>7047181
That's how my french is.

I think there was a study that said the more drunk you get, the less nervous about speaking a second language you are and you're better at it.

>> No.7047507

>>7047235
Ever stumbled across good but lesser known stores for games, doujin etc? I'm talking mostly used stuff. I know some of the bigger places like Sofmap and BookOff and such.

>> No.7047623

>>7044574
If she was fat it's more likely she was getting stared at because of that. They DO NOT like fat people.

>> No.7047631

>>7046484
S'okay, thanks. I found their twitter feed amd they shut down the end of May. :(

>> No.7047644

>>7047631
Replying to myself: and seeing that a number of other anons have discovered that it closed. Thanks, guys!

>> No.7047667

>>7047153
If you don't speak Japanese, the maids/butlers will probably ignore you. Some places have a designated English speaking person but they don't like speaking English in front of their Japanese co-workers unless they have to because Japanese culture dictates that you must not show off exclusive knowledge or you will alienate yourself from the group.

But don't let that stop you from getting your waffles.

>>7047162
Actually there are less water rides at Sea than at Land, plus they really tone down the water amounts for Tokyo since Japanese people are not as keen on getting wet.

>>7047198
Yeah, if you're a female and over 200 pounds, you're as rare as a white tiger in Japan.

>> No.7047685

>>7047623
Uuugggghhhh. How fat is fat? I'm the healthiest I've ever been in my life and I'm still fucking 150 at 5'6".

Like, I know Japanese frames are smaller than ours in general, but if I'm not morbidly obese and carry it decently, will they still think way less of me?

;_; fuck.

>> No.7047701

>>7047685

Sorry, they would. My friend has a similar body structure with thunder thighs and just an overall big frame, and I know she's pretty healthy and trying to work on losing even more. But yeah, no, she keeps getting hints that she should cover up more even when she's wearing skirts that go up almost to her knees. She's not really fat, just really built, but nonetheless she gets the 'holyshitubig' stares.

Sorry man, I know it's your frame, but Japanese are just kind of like that.

>> No.7047713

>>7047701
Fuckin' A. That's kinda lame.

I mean, I can deal with the stares in general. But if they are stares of like... obvious disgust, I don't think I would be able to enjoy myself nearly as much. :/

Thank you for the reply though!

>> No.7047732

>>7046480
Dat feeeeel
>>7047184
Female, I guess i mostly wore sort of Kera-ish jfash with a rock vibe? With scene boyfriend in tow.
The staff in shops say the nicest things in order to get you in the mood to buy, too. A whole day of "KYUUUTESTO COUPLE DA YO" felt great, even if it was all money-motivated lies.

>> No.7047785

I honestly don't like asians as a people. They are so cold, yet so sensitive. They also refuse to integrate into the community, they just stick to the other asians. Why move to white country is you don't like white people?

>> No.7047796

>>7044215
I hope you didn't seriously dress like that.

>> No.7047812

So should I expect a lot of stares if I'm hispanic (think kim kardashian skin tone)? not fat though.

>> No.7047829

>>7047713
>>7047701

As someone with several Japanese friends both here (USA) and in Japan, I honestly don't think this is true. Yes, you will be stared at (something which would happen even if you were 110 lbs).
However, I highly doubt people would look "disgusted" or make comments about your weight unless they kind of knew you. Talking about weight is also just not a big deal there.
I studied abroad and spent occasional weekends with a host family. I was slim, so weight wasn't really an issue, but when I went to their house for about a week for winter holidays and had gained about five pounds, my host mother was like, "Anon-san, you've gained a bit of weight, haven't you?" and then smiled. It wasn't meant meanly.
When I saw them again before I left (in the summer), I had lost probably ten pounds, and all my host mother had to say was that I was looking a little tan.
tl;dr Comments about your weight shouldn't be taken like they are taken here unless you're seriously overweight. Also, dress appropriately, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Most Japanese won't talk shit about you because it's impolite.

>> No.7047831

>>7047785
I hope you're not talking about 'Murrica.

>> No.7047834

>>7045087
Does the Eva bar really have a cocktail based on the EoE hospital fap scene? How strong are typical Japanese drinks, anyway?

>> No.7047844

>>7047831
Why wouldn't I be? Canada has the same problem, they're just shitty people no matter where they land. Also, lol @ foreigners trying to imitate the south by dropping the A. Southerners always say the A, and they pronounce it "Amurica". /why would they drop the A?

>> No.7047859

>>7047844
Uh, plenty of Americans say 'murrica?
Also, I don't know where the hell you live, but while Asians in my area certainly have Asian friends and hold their own cultural events, they also integrate fine.
Go be a racist in your own thread.

>> No.7047862

>>7047829
Thanks for this. I'm not delusional about my weight. (Lol, PT) and am fully aware of the fact that I'm a fatty, so I can totally handle fat comments or comments about my weight if they aren't extremely malicious.

Also, yeah. Being able to dress appropriately for your size is a very helpful skill that I must 100% perfect before hand. I will not have an off day.

Thank you for rekindling my interest in visiting for vacation, Anon-san! lol.

Semi related, this is a video of a show where they interview people coming into japan. Skip to 14:00 to see (IMO) a kawaii ass lolita black girl and her fat mom (Every time she's on camera they place beyonce, it's FUCKING HILARIOUS) and maybe get a feel about how POC can expect to be treated?

http://youtu.be/A3t4IESsqU8?t=14m27s

>> No.7047869

>>7047859
I have never heard anyone ever say "murica", you stupid chink. Also, there are a shit ton of asians where I live. All they do is bitch about white people doing this and that. Why not go back to your own country so you don't have to deal with us confusing whites? So stupid.

>> No.7047878

>>7047869
I'm from Louisiana and the patriotic ass southerners say 'murica.

Also sage. I'm not going to touch your stupid racist comments. I hate feeding trolls.

>> No.7047881

>>7047878
And what do you know, you have no asians.

>> No.7047895

>>7047153
They don't really sit and talk with you however you need to a, book the table first on the japanese website and b, they don't explain to you the food or what you have to order menu wise in english. It'll be all in fast, polite japanese. The actual menu isn't really in english either.

>> No.7047899

>>7047812
Not more than the norm for foreigners. I went in April, they just thought I was a tanned whitey I think, they don't really have enough exposure to see anything except 'white' or 'black'.

>> No.7047903

>>7047785
>>7047844
>America
>white country
AHHAhahahHA

>> No.7047912

>>7047903
We're around 78% white, so, ya. Though there are a lot of spics who call themselves white, for some reason.

>> No.7047922

>>7047912
lol, no.
census data has whites at 72% for 2010, and that doesn't include plenty of non-white illegal/unofficial immigrants, students, etc.
try harder.

>> No.7047929

>>7047922
>>7047903
Nah man, really. Stop feeding the troll and just ignore him. They are literally just doing this to get responses. They have no actual logic.

>Southern people always pronounce the "A"! You stupid foreigners!
>Uhm... I'm southern, and actually, a lot of people drop the "A".
>AND WHAT DO YA KNOW, YOU HAVE NO ASIANS.

Real talk logic right there.

>> No.7047937

>>7047922
>>6 percentage points off
WHAT AN IDIOT
Anyhow the sheriff in my county does a good job of keeping the beaners in line. Google "tent city", you would not believe the shit he gets away with. That's our Joe~<3 Them spics have to live in crowded little tents, in the desert, with no air, and shitty food. He literally spends more on dog food then he does on the illegals food. How do you treat your shitskins? Oh, you don't even have boarded patrol. Well then.

>> No.7047940

>>7047922
64% non Hispanic white

>> No.7047950

>>7047912
>not knowing those are white latinos (yes, latino is an ethnicity, not a race and there are plenty of white ones)

There are enough PoC for America to not be a white country, tbh.

>> No.7047962

I've been to Tokyo twice now with friends, and am thinking of going myself next year.

I felt very safe when I went previously, but anything I should be careful of as a lone female traveler? If I get into an emergency, what do I need to do? (will my country's embassy help if my hostel "looses" my booking or something?).

I wish I had a friend in Tokyo who could be there if I needed help/advice ;__;

>> No.7048007

>>7047950
You. Are. Not. White. Stop it. You are mixed with niggers and Natives.

>> No.7048014

>>7048007
Yes, I am not white and I'm not latino but you're fucking retarded if you don't know white latinos exist.
>thinking all latinos are from central and south america
>thinking none of them are white

>> No.7048029
File: 1.69 MB, 370x200, 1375420573271.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7048014
It's a troll. It's a huge troll that is just on the edge of it's seat with a big grin because you keep replying to him. Just. Stahp.

>> No.7048105
File: 13 KB, 600x450, kike.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7048014
I've seen spics who think they're white. It's hilarious, picture related, back to your orange field.

>> No.7048147

>>7048007
>spain

>> No.7048177

>>7047962
Your embassy is there to help with important shit like losing your passport, not hotel mix-ups.

>> No.7048257

>>7048105
I've seen *insert ethnicity/nationality/etc.* who think they're *insert adjective*. It's hilarious, picture related, back to *negate adjective* field.

>there're people who thinks this way

>> No.7048290
File: 460 KB, 640x392, haffu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Advice: Don't look like this. No.

>> No.7048334

>>7047962
Learn basic japanese phrases and book at a hotel whose staff speaks english. The latter can be pricey, but it's worth getting non-garbled advice, directions, and help for the solo traveler. Don't be afraid to ask random japanese people (look for young men in suits, chances are they'll know at least basic english!) for help if you need it, they're very accomodating for tourists.
Tokyo is very safe as long as you are smart and aware of your surroundings, and avoid 'bad' neigborhoods - ie Kabukicho - after a certain point.

>> No.7048338

>>7048290
I wish we could ban all weebs from entering Japan. Like, I wish we could prevent anyone who goes there for lolita or anime, and only allow normal fags who know it is and exotic Asian island with green tea and rice.

>> No.7048348

>>7048338
You realise that their tourism industry would die within six months, right? Weaboos might be annoying, but they're the ones who spend money in Japan. Of the "normal" people I know, the only ones who have been to Japan have done so either a) because they had a family member in the military or b) for business.

I don't know a single person who has been there for a holiday who wasn't into anime, lolita, or something similar.

>> No.7048458

>>7044359
Korean here. I had nothing but awesome experiences. Everyone was always really excited and friendly. Things that were mentioned frequently-

- Delicious Korean food, especially meat and kimchi
- Admiration of Korean businesses' global ambition, compared to Japanese companies which have shot themselves in the foot by being too inwardly focused
- Dramas and hot actors and singers they love
- Korean beauty products and treatments; girls love it all and always asked for recommendations
- general hotness- girls are envious of "perfect" Korean skin, and love the tallness and gentlemanly behavior of Korean oppas; guys will talk about how hot and long-legged girls are, and how they don't care if it's all plastic haha

Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino and Chinese friends and family who've lived/visited haven't had any problems, in school, careers, or the day-to-day stuff. Or at least, nothing they'd consider institutionalized or beyond the random, individual assholery found anywhere.

>> No.7048468

>>7048338
But then /cgl/ could never go.

>> No.7048491

>>7048348
>You realise that their tourism industry would die
And? They aren't a 3rd world country pretending to be a 1st world country like Italy or Spain. Tourism (while significant) is not their life blood.

And fucking weeaboos like you /c/ock/g/obb/l/ers are a niche market to begin with. If you embarrassments stopped coming, no one would notice and the otakus would gladly keep the smelly craphole known as Akiba in business.

You are an offshoot, like furries. You aren't as big of a deal as you would like to believe.

>> No.7048497

>>7048458
>girls are envious of "perfect" Korean skin
Funny because its fake and the only Koreans with natural faces look like they have the Down's Syndrome.

I have a question about your country. Why are there so many of your elderly sitting on the street and in the subways begging for money in the heat?
And why have I yet to see one of you Galaxy S3 owning Korean females look away from your stupid phones to do something about it? Too busy worrying about the current plot of some shitty soap opera?

>> No.7048500

>>7048491
Random lurker popping in, but if weebs are such a minority that no one would even notice their absence, why does their presence assrage you so much?

>> No.7048506

>>7048500
The same reason furries (the cosplayers closest kin) presence pisses anyone off. The are a disgusting subset of humanity. Pedophiles are a small sect too, doesn't mean they should be loved for being different.

>> No.7048509

>>7048338
But it's kind of what the government wants?
Any money is good money for them, even if it gives them fodder for stereotyping the Western fandoms.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/07/09/general/can-metis-%C2%A550-billion-fund-unfreeze-cool-japan/#.UhF1B4XTOKw

>> No.7048511

>>7048348
Anon, I know plenty of people who've visited Japan who aren't weeabos.

Family friends who took a holiday to Japan with their children to go skiing. My own mother, the friends we went with to Japan. Heck even our school does ski trips to Japan and not everyone who goes loves Animu or Lolita. Many tourists visit Japan for skiing, nature/architecture and for the history/japanese culture. Also not everyone who likes j fashion or manga are weebs.

>> No.7048522

>>7048348
>I don't know a single person who has been there for a holiday who wasn't into anime, lolita, or something similar.
Well you are a bloody idiot.

>> No.7048593

I've been to Japan for 3 week in june / july.

The Takeshita street of Harajuku seemed to have everything a cosplayer / jfashioner would need, but almost no one is hanging around in costumes here.
A good adress here is the Tokyo Design Fiesta exhibition. Tons of local artist and designer doing awesome stuff and built around a Okonomiyaki restaurant, it's fucking delicious.

Some Akihabara streets really felt like a shithole.
Dirty street filled with maids and lighted by 24/7 porn dvd rentals ads.
I've tried 2 maids cafés but the building was dirty, the entrance fee ( 500y ) was too much and seeing 5 girls rushing towards me shouting high pitched noise was too much for me. Fuck this shit.
The gundamn café looked very cool though, it felt like a well designed mainstream bar.

I ate a ton a shit, including I think radioactive eels.
The best thing I ate was vegetarian food made by Boudhist. Those guys are cooking vegetarian dishes since at least 400 years and it definitely shows.

Also, you will find more weeaboos in your country than in Japan.

>> No.7048884

>>7047235
No, FujiQ has BEST coasters. Be prepared to have your shit fucked.