[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 677 KB, 917x832, index (1).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6965368 No.6965368[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Did anyone else grow up with cgl?

I discovered anime in around 2006 and became a horrible weaboo of the worst kind. (the kind that spoke broken "Japanese" and made shitty kimono out of costume satin and claimed to be Japanese online) This lasted until the summer before my freshmen year of highschool, when I discovered /cgl/ during the Kipi floods. It was hard at first, realizing that I was an abhorrent person and irritating to be around. It was hard to grow up and realise my "lolita" was horrible and that my shitty maxipad headresses weren't up to muster and that I had a lot of work to do. I was going through a difficult time in my life and I think that the schadenfreude kept me going for the longest time while my life and family fell apart around me. I also learned from /cgl/ during this time, the importance of good wigs, good fabric choices, what makes lolita nice and what ruins the asthetic. I learned to hate my body, and then later, /cgl/ taught me to love myself and take care of myself. I laughed at the drama, cried along with other anon during the baw threads, confessed to a lot of things and actually got some good advice from the get it off your chest threads. I learned to take criticism and accept my own flaws and to use them to better myself. /Cgl/ has shaped my personality in so many ways I can't even begin to describe.

I have been going to /cgl/ on a fairly consistent basis for at least four years now and I feel like I have a lot to thank you for. I feel like an altogether happier, more confident person and I have you all to thank.

>> No.6965926

That's really nice, but I don't think many people were on here to grow up with it.. 4chan is meant for people 18+

>> No.6965961

I started visiting 4chan way too early - I have been here for 6 years and I'm 20 now. I've only been visiting /cgl/ for about 3-4 years, but I think it's definitely shaped me as a cosplayer for better or for worse.
Also, this is by far my favourite board. In fact, I really only come to 4chan for /cgl/ anymore.
I fucking love you guys okay

Why am I getting emotional

>> No.6965985

>>6965926
There are shitloads of people that come here that aren't 18+.
They just stay quiet about it like they should do.

>> No.6966007

>>6965985
Indeed. Egl and cosplay are both time-bomb hobbies since they rely heavily on appearances. Lots of younger people, is what mean.

>> No.6966423

Kinda. I've only been coming here for about a year, so I haven't really grown up with /cgl/, but I've definitely grown up because of /cgl/. I was on the verge of becoming an sjw, and coming here really calmed my tits. Also gave me a thicker skin too. Plus I like to think that my lolita coords have really benefited as well.

>> No.6966430
File: 169 KB, 800x600, Chris_chan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first anime was Sailor Moon back on Toonami
>first real anime was Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim in 2001
>went to Japan in 2005
>discovered 4chan in 2007
>went to 4chan Otakon panel in 2007
>stopped watching Anime in 2011 and didn't get back into it until I watched Gundam eight months ago

I remember Krissy-chan/Orangedoom, UsagiKou, Kipi and JJ dramas. I have been watching the things I love slowly decay along with me ever since.

Being an oldfag is the worst kind of suffering.

>> No.6966433

I wish you ghouls held Skype threads more often, old fags reminiscing together makes me swoon.

>> No.6966431

>>6965368
It often bothers me when I hear people say cgl is the equivalent of the internet's devil.
This board has so much to offer to everyone whos willing to be open to criticism.
Unfortunately one of those people that think the worst of cgl is my bf. Ive been trying to show him all the good things /cgl/ has to offer but refuses to listen because someone pointed out once that his props looked"toy-ish"
Also, /cgl/ has been the best lolita teacher I've ever had. I love you guys.
>/cgl/ appreciation thread

>> No.6966436

>>6966433
No. Those tripfag circlejerk chatrooms with Hobbes and shit were one of the reasons I left /cgl/ for /v/. They weren't cute or funny, they were just asinine and masturbatory and it was disgusting.

>> No.6966440

>>6966436
Yeah I see that a lot and i get where you're coming from but thats only when you see it coming. I mean super spammy tripfag 420X is obviously not gonna have a fun chatroom together. I've made plenty of tolerable fun and friendly conversations with other NORMAL people on the chans, shit I'm even going to gamescom with a few from /v/ and they're all regular people, all 4 of us that is.

>> No.6966453

pretty cool to see how 4chan has evolved from its days of being a SA/2chan spinoff back in...what was it...2000. Im happy to hear your story OP, it gives me hope that all those horible people I knew from cons made it too. I know I barely did...

>> No.6966455

>>6966430
>>discovered 4chan in 2007
>>6966430
>Being an oldfag is the worst kind of suffering.
I got some bad news for you

>> No.6966466
File: 34 KB, 333x600, 333px-For_instance_Gaypurpleman_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6966455
I'm sorry being here for almost seven years isn't oldfaggy enough for you. I guess I go kill myself now.

>> No.6966488
File: 1.49 MB, 230x172, IMG_0365.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6966466

>> No.6966493

/cgl/ only started in 2007 of course

>> No.6966543

When I started to frequent /cgl/ regularly it was a red board.

You bitches are assholes, but you are also a wealth of information.

>> No.6966559

Discovered cgl four years ago. I was 16 and had no hobbies exept for watching anime. This board influenced me to want to cosplay and eventually got me into Lolita and jfashion which is now my current hobby. My closet has over 40 main pieces and skirts and I'm very happy to be into an alternative fashion that I can actually pull off.
Without this board I would probably be a really Boring person with no hobbies.

>> No.6966562

>>6966543
We were...but then everybody with actual talent like Precious and Volpin left.

I want to find out who the fuck started a fight with Volpin to make him leave so I can punch them right in the nuts.

>> No.6966640

>>6966562
from my understanding he got fed up with the attitude, but he also just doesn't have time for it anymore. I miss him too anon.

>> No.6966682

>>6966436
>they were just asinine and masturbatory
Didn't a trip leave their cam on and got caught having sex with their boyfriend? That was hilarious.

I started browsing /cgl/ seriously when Persona 4 came out in Japan because I wanted to cosplay as Chie, so looking over at google that makes it 2008. I got ragged for wanting to buy her outfit off some random-ass cosplay site that was probably owned by Milanoo, so I started taking critique to heart to avoid making huge mistakes with buying stuff online or doing cosplay that wouldn't suit me.

/cgl/ has definitely been a huge benefit to me when it comes to importing items from foreign stores in general, and I really appreciate that after seeing so many horror stories of shopping experiences gone wrong. I've never had any problems with buying online that couldn't be settled in good terms.

>> No.6966686

>>6966562
I think I miss Doll the most, she was really cool to talk to about stuff like Kuroshitsuji and ballet.

On the other hand I remember a lot of flavor of the year trips that annoyed me too, like Stupei and Ore.

>> No.6966688

>>6966466
so special`

>> No.6966703

I have been here (4chan in general) since 2004

FUCK
WHAT HAVE I DONE WITH MY LIFE

>> No.6966745

>>6965926
I have the exact same story as OP and I started browsing /cgl/ when I was 18. Just saying, it's not impossible.

The only thing that sucks now is never being able to tell anyone else in my community that I browse /cgl/ because we've had repeated issues with members being posted here and it would look really weird and suspicious if I professed my love for /cgl/ to everyone.
I've stopped coming here as much since the PT and living doll threads died off, though. those were my favorite.

>> No.6966771

I love you guys ;_;

>> No.6966791

>>6966703
You're a social no life king

>> No.6966951

>>6966745
I can't talk about /cgl/ or selfpost in any fun threads because I work for a few conventions. Sometimes I just want to post in the progress thread dammit

>> No.6966987

>>6966431
Tell him /cgl/ helped reutinte two lost sisters. That alone undoes all the bitching here

>> No.6967005

This thread made me realize that I've been browsing 4chan for almost 10 years

damn

>> No.6967011

>>6966992
That's so good Anon

>> No.6967020

>>6966431
I actually went to /cgl/ for the first time because friends on facebook told me they were bitching about my cosplay over here. And they were, but some of the criticism was actually pretty helpful.

I can't say anything about it to my boyfriend, though, because he hates it when criticism is posed in a scathing and blunt way. I keep telling him there are good ideas and tutorials over here, but he dismisses it instantly.

>> No.6967025

I can't really claim to be an oldfag, there's plenty of people who've been on here longer then I am, but I've been on here long enough. It's sort of funny to see how the board has changed so much. But /cgl/ has given me a far more critical eye. I always check here and I love seeing people's cosplay's and progress, as well as the state of the community.

>> No.6967045

What ever happened to that hamster in the vacuum cleaner? Does anyone else remember that thread?

>> No.6967068

>>6966436
>Skype with Hobbes

That was your problem. I remember the old Tinychat days where the rooms were full of the more nerdier members. Those chats were really fun

>> No.6967076

I was lurking around 2008 and started using a tripcode in 2009 and this board has changed a lot during the years, everything from tripfags, posting habits and board culture. Compared to the days of invasions, floods and drama bombin, /cgl/ has certainly calmed down. It's a great place to ask quick questions that don't need full threads along with giving members the freedom to be a bit more critical here than in real life.

>> No.6967390

>>6967076
I kind of miss the drama though, obviously not to the extent that it was, but I still look up PT sometimes, and check on Asherbee to make sure she hasn't gone more off the deep end than the already has. I still wonder what happened to Talia_speaks and Pinkzombies though. Do you think her lapband worked out? Are they happy? I always wondered.

>> No.6967409

I've seen some shit.

Sometimes I miss the old days, but I guess it's time for a new generation to take over.

>> No.6967413

>>6967390
backstory on any of these?

>> No.6967431
File: 9 KB, 150x139, winkface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just grew up with 4chan in general when I was like, 13 or 14. So I started coming here in 2005. I found /cgl/ in 2008-2009ish and got tired of the tripfags after lurking for a few years. Finally came back about 2 years later and realized how much I missed lolita, the drama, and the general helpfulness and bitchiness of this board.

I love you guys.

>> No.6967435

>>6967413
Pretty much all scammers that were slightly batshit, PT has been a drama cow for as long as I've been here, and Asherbee makes shit jewelery (literally) then pretended to attempt suicide

>> No.6967442

I've been watching anime online since I was nine. Under constant surveillance, my obsession steadily grew, but very much in the closet with my power levels. I remember back in elementary school I had hoarded all of my lunch money to buy the entire DVD set of CCS, and I would wake up at 5am to watch it. I was very much a weeb behind closed doors. In a way, I'm glad my sister and cousins teased me so I wouldn't have to face further embarrassment from my school mates and strangers.
I discovered 4chan 4-5 years ago, but I only started browsing /cgl/ 2 years ago, which has really opened up my interested to a whole new field. I love my new hobbies and interests that I've picked up from this board, and I don't really mind telling my friends about it anymore, even if they tease me. I just gotta be myself.
Thank you for helping me come to love my inner weeb a little bit more, cgl.

>> No.6967443
File: 177 KB, 480x334, summer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6967413

>> No.6967447
File: 305 KB, 716x645, cglnoletmetellYOUabouthomestuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6965368
i love /cgl/ because of its issues, not in spite of them. the whole, unified package is gorgeous:
rabid bitching, elitist clothing, horrible failed elitist clothing, top costuming, horrible failed costuming, pleasant hair and makeup tips, awful photoshop, gross hygiene, lovely rooms and decor, and shaming peppered in all around.

it is perfect.

>> No.6967494
File: 294 KB, 432x750, tumblr_mjz7rijcJd1ql90ppo1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6967497

Started coming in late 2007 or early 2008. The time of Kipi floods.
Kipi. Oh Kipi.
I just love our pre-con and post-con threads really.

>> No.6967501

>>6966430
I know most of these feels
I've only been around /cgl/ for maybe 2 years now but i've been on 4chan for 6 years if not more

I don't have any like minded irl girl friends and though i'm not your 'typical' girl i still like drama and dress up and make up and cute shit so coming here is like having the girl friends i'll never get to have.

PT threads were the BEST

>> No.6967506
File: 122 KB, 1269x705, 1373333298803.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I loved what /cgl/ used to be.

>> No.6967513

>>6967506
disallowing drama KNEECAPPED the fuck out of what made /cgl/ great for me

>> No.6967512

>>6967506
me too anon, me too

>> No.6967520

>>6967513
In all honesty I've seen some decent drama this year.

>> No.6967523

>>6966987
God, I think I remember something like that. Maybe that wasn't you but it sounds so familiar...

>> No.6967569

>>6967523
Yeah, that did happen. There were two separated siblings that were into cosplay/conventions and one was able to contact the other through posting on here.

>> No.6967575

>>6967390
>Pinkzombies
Uh IIRC from what was posted in some lolita threads she and her husband had to move into an apartment and they couldn't keep the dog, she still tries making stuff but it's not that good and doesn't really do lolita anymore

>>6967413
Come on, PT and Asherbee aren't even old.

>> No.6967592

Yes, I also kinda grew up here. I started coming on 4chan when I was around... 14? I'm 19 now. And I don't know, even though /cgl/ has sharpened my sense of fashion, good quality and other things in many ways, I sort of wish I never came here. This "once you're 18 you're too old, 25+ is ancient!" mentality has been giving me serious emotional and sometimes even mental trouble.

I guess that, being pretty, I have a lot to lose by growing up and old, so /cgl/'s heavy focus on this only made my worries worse.

>> No.6967805
File: 182 KB, 190x190, 1344379348561.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6967592
Just take it easy and don't worry so much.

>> No.6968635

Yes, my penis grows a few inches whenever an underage looking girl posts her pics on here.

>> No.6968666

>>6968635
You forgot your trip, falcone

>> No.6968734

>>6967390
I do think drama is a major part of /cgl/ as it allows us to vent and call people out on their bullshit It's just that people don't know how to start good drama threads. Instead of people who are really drama worthy and dipshits who have done something to piss off, they'd just post pictures of people in ok costumes going "What's the drama on this person?"

>> No.6968778

>>6968734
I think those tend to be more personal vendetta. And they usually get called out, unless said persona ctually did something.

>> No.6968796

I've coming to /cgl/ since 2009. I really like how people used to post cosplays all the time, but now people just post drama or EGL fashions.

Sad truth is, /cgl/ is never going to be the same as it was four years ago. It seems the drama is tolerated on here and I got sucked into it once in 2010. I was so depressed I didn't use my trip for a year. I was vindicated in 2011 and returned to posting with my trip. I usually just post the cosplays I take photos of from the cons in the Baltimore-Washington DC area.

>> No.6968886

>>6968796
You got sucked into it because you acted like a total brat. I laughed when you got banned.

>> No.6968902

>>6968886
It wasn't funny, it triggered a bad memory from being bullied when I was in middle school. I'm glad everyone apologized for being a part of the drama.

>> No.6968915

>>6968902
[TRIGGER WARNING]

This is a black man! Don't get triggered, ladies!

>> No.6968956

I think I've been around since 2005-2006. I've taken random hiatuses over the years thanks to irl. I sort of miss the old days, the familiar dramu/trips/cosplayers, most of the ones I liked aren't around anymore. ;-; I used to post more back then, was more involved in the community but over the years I've dissipated into a lurker. I love me some dramu as much as the next gull but I'm not really into all those random gaijin idols/jfashion girls/etc that seems to clog up the boards nowadays, so I don't really come on as often. That and it seems to be more lolita oriented than back then (not that anything's wrong with that I'm just primarily a cosplayer?). But in terms of resources, advice, and help, you guys are top notch! Whenever I need help I come here or go to the archives.

I've definitely, without a doubt, improved significantly thanks to /cgl/. Pretty much like OP said but for a cosplayer- you guys taught me many sewing techniques, about fabric and wigs, how to flatter and cosplay for my body type (and dress for that matter, I'm fabulous now), make up, where to shop online- you name it. /cgl/ taught me how to look at myself critically and honestly, and with that improve both in my hobbies and sort of irl, too. I have to admit maybe /cgl/ helped make me a bit too critical of other cosplayers and myself in some ways, and often I'm frustrated with my own work because I'm in the mentality it always needs to be *perfect* in construction and accuracy. Still, I'd say I've learned and taken more from /cgl/ than it has made me cynical, so that's good! I have many fond memories from back in the day, and I'll probably be around for many years to come. <3