[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 46 KB, 643x493, bampw-black-and-white-depressed-depression-homer-simpson-Favim.com-438494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6900594 No.6900594 [Reply] [Original]

What keeps you going? It's just a number....right? Anyone else around this age?

>turning 29 soon
>holy fuck 10 years ago was 2003
>remember when naruto cosplay was rare
>that feel when playing shenmue for the first time on dreamcast
>remembers that animal magnetism group from AWA06
>foam hair goku derek
>remember the orgy mailing list with the yiddish dirty pair, commander havok, kat, lindze and a fuckton others
>holy fuck
>wat do
>drown sorrows in liqour>

>> No.6900684
File: 46 KB, 459x512, Digi-MimiMirror.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

31 years old here.

My first con was AX 97. Cons were so much better in those days. Anime fans were like this little underground club and everyone at cons were kindred spirits with each other. It was the days you could see a Fushigi Yuugi pencil board you liked in the dealers hall and squeal in delight because it was this special treasure from Japan. Seeing a single person in a cosplay of a character you liked was such a happy thing, even if their costume wasn't perfect. Everyone was a big happy family. People loved anime and otaku culture so much.

Today that's all gone now. Cons are just bloated trade shows where people go to socialize with their friends, cosplay solely to gain attention and nobody cares about anime. I miss the good ol' days.

I still cosplay because it's fun and cons are still cool to hang out and party with friends, and while I am technically over 30 I still look fairly young (I still get carded at movie theaters and restaurants -_-; ) so I can still pull it off. Though I honestly don't care much about anime anymore, like most people. Which is probably why most of my more recent cosplays are all from video games and comics.

>> No.6900699

>>6900684
29 year old from before

These whipper snappers today. Remember the days of fansubs? That feel of waiting for that VHS tape to arrive in the mail...

>> No.6900720
File: 194 KB, 700x395, schroschro.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6900684
I want to salute you, Veteran Sir or Madame.

My first con was in 2001 and it was the first Big Apple Anime Fest which only lasted 3-4 years in NYC?

I am turning 28 this year and i can hardly believe. My interests in anime cons have definitely gone down. I have bills to pay now-- lots of them. Groceries, internet, phone, clothing, etc. I still LOVE cosplay like mad, but it feels a bit discouraging to go to anime cons where half the attendees are about 15 years old. I've been going to more gaming cons lately and actually meeting people my age. It's great. Smaller, but still more fun to me than an anime con lately.

>> No.6900724

I remember when conventions were the only way to get merchandise. Every day in the dealers room was like a treasure hunt. You were never sure what you would find and people didn't know half of what was available- so you would freak out realizing your favourite series had an artbook or figurine.

Panels were actually interesting because the topics hadn't been discussed to death online and it was pretty much the only forum to discuss with other fans, not to mention you would meet tons of new friends.

Seeing someone else in a costume from the series you were cosplaying from was like the coolest fucking thing on the face of the planet and you would freak out and run across the lobby to take photos with them on your shitty disposable camera and sometimes hang out with them all day.

I still remember my first con, I met the S.O to the character I was wearing and we spent all weekend together and cried when we had to go home.

>> No.6900729

>>6900724
>I still remember my first con, I met the S.O to the character I was wearing and we spent all weekend together and cried when we had to go home.

Wow...that fucking first con nervous/shy romance.

>> No.6900737

>>6900729
I still remember it like it was yesterday, 2001... Ashitaka and San. We spazzed about Ghibli stuff until 4am and we both bought each other a gift from the dealers room before we left, and it ended up being the same awesome poster.

>> No.6900739

Now I don't feel so bad for being 24!

>> No.6900756

have a lot more money than I had when I was younger, that's for sure. I just go for the guests nowadays.

>> No.6900755

My first con was anime federation orlando 2. It was three days. I met a bunch of SNK cosplayers. I played the fuck out of chu chu rocket and samba de amigo in the game room.

Everyone was so inviting/warm. It literally felt like you could just walk up to a random group of people and BS with them and vice versa. Im sure some horror stories happened, but it did feel like pre-reddit/4chan/memes/widespread acceptance of nerd "culture"/hip 2 b a lol nerd/zomg so retro-hipster...ironically, everything was more genuine.

I still go to cons, I still have fun. I'm more excited the days when I get to nerd out and talk about Golgo 13, or galaxy express 999 with a fellow fan...whenever I meet one ;_;

>> No.6900777
File: 14 KB, 315x223, 1224380375648.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Making your own Geocities website for screenshots of your favorite anime (be sure to embed the midi of the opening song on the homepage and a tile of your favorite character in the background!)
>Trading 5th generation VHS fansubs on anime newsgroups (alt.binaries.fansubs ftw)
>Lining up around the Disneyland Hotel building at AX 2000 to see the world premiere of the Escaflowne movie
>Watching hordes of photographers go apeshit over 19 year old Yaya Han's Hinoto cosplay (HOLY FUCK LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT COSPLAYER'S DRESS! AND SHE'S THE ASIAN MASTER RACE!)
>Listening to Ramen & Rice play music for people in the 4 hour masquerade line
>Getting all your anime info and pictures from Anime Web Turnpike
>Waking up early to watch the horrible dub of Record of Lodoss War at 6am on the SciFi Channel (OMFG ANIME IS ON TEEVEE)
>Watching fangirls literally break down into tears when getting to meet Yuu Watase
>Young self getting stage fright before going on stage for the AX 97 Masquerade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxFn-OVGqE

>> No.6900784

>>6900777
those giant fucking URLs. and having to pick what town you wanted your page to be in.

>> No.6900787

>>6900777
ANIME WEB TURNPIKE. mah nigga.

>> No.6900803

I remember using Yahoo, AIM and cheetachat to meet new anime fans. I remember buying phone cards to call friends who lived in other states.
And going to cons, you'd see the most half assed Cloud or Card captor Sakura cosplay, but fuck if you still weren't excited to take their photo or get their email.

>> No.6900808

26 years old and I still haven't lost that moment of wonder when I see someone else cosplaying from some obscure shit that I happen to love. I don't care how bad it is, you cosplayed my favorite stuff and did it yourself and I love you.

What keeps me going is that whether older or younger, cons are about the only place I still meet people with my mindset. The last room I was in everybody was between 22 and 35 and we stayed up until 3am talking about anime and drinking cocktails and it was glorious.

Haters gonna hate. Kids can be over there with their modelplay bullshit. I'll be here cosplaying things I love as best I can and being delighted to meet other anime fans.

>> No.6900814

32 years old

looking 22 years old keeps me going :3

>> No.6900821

>>6900814
Told a girl I was 28 the other day, she told me to shut up, so that's good.

>> No.6900824

>>6900594
COSP. The Box. The yiddish getting temp-banned from skits after doing one too many scandalous skits (the chicken skit, the pokemon puberty rap, the "rip on all the cosplay divas" skit) but then Danny T backpedaling and saying banning them was all a joke. AWA when they had a masquerade and it was like 5 hours long. or when AWA had the stupid taped off boxes in bad locations that you had to stand in if you wanted your pic taken, or else get yelled at by staff. Cosplay Closet being crazy bitches. Derek being Derek. foam hair or not. ok always the foam hair, who am I kidding.
Also, we probably have met each other at some point.

>> No.6900826

>30

eh whatever, you're as old as you feel

>> No.6900830

>>6900777
How about when video rooms were like THE way to find out about new anime, possibly the only way to see stuff you'd heard about if you didn't have the hookups with a fansub distro, a friend with umpteeth-generation-tapes to copy or a shady asian market selling the blatantly not-for-sale VHS tapes. and sometimes you'd even check the schedule at a con to plan around when you wanted to go watch anime, or take a friend to check out something new that you wanted to see, or show to them. siiiiiiigggggh

>> No.6900852

>>6900777
>Geocities
Aw yes, I had a Sailor Moon shrine full of pictures and midis. Gotta have all the little pixel transformation gifs and a view counter at the bottom of the page.

>> No.6900858
File: 17 KB, 160x160, 1370312204237.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6900684

>Cons are just bloated trade shows where people go to socialize with their friends, cosplay solely to gain attention and nobody cares about anime.

>I still cosplay because it's fun and cons are still cool to hang out and party with friends

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTT

>> No.6900860

>>6900826
that's something i tell myself often. sometimes i feel like i'm 19 still

>> No.6900869

>click into /cgl/
>see this thread
>omg my people, all my people are here.

>just turned 34

>> No.6900945
File: 190 KB, 800x1200, 1264036135148.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2001
>Still not having decorated your PC with Neon Genesis Evangelion stickers

>> No.6900954

>>6900684
>
Today that's all gone now. Cons are just bloated trade shows where people go to socialize with their friends, cosplay solely to gain attention and nobody cares about anime. I miss the good ol' days.

I'm sorry but I disagree. New friendships are being forged and thanks to social networking, its a lot easier to maintain these relationships.

The only reason why we have more problems now is that there are more people involved in the hobby. A lot of good things have changed and with that came with some bad

>> No.6900959

>>6900954
You can still make friends, but it's harder today than it used to be since in the old days EVERYONE at the con was essentially your friend. If you went to a con today, flopped down next to a group of random people and said "omg you're dressed as so-and-so! I love that series! Wunna see my new figurine of her I just got?!" they would just look at you funny and probably ask you to leave. It wasn't harder to stay in contact since even back then you had shit like ICQ, AIM, livejournal, email, forums, IRC, etc.

>The only reason why we have more problems now is that there are more people involved in the hobby.
More people, but less passion. Nobody cares about anime anymore.

>> No.6900964

I wish I could've been a fan in the good ol days.

>> No.6901021

Turning 30 this year.

I only go to 1-2 cons a year now. My first con was A-kon in 2000. Goddamn the congoing crowd back then was way way better. The stuff in dealers' rooms back then was hilarious since most of the merch was straight from Japan since hardly anything was in the states.

I still go to cons because it's a chance to see friends, I really enjoy cosplaying (used to do skits but they just aren't practical for us anymore), and I run panels and sometimes staff so that gives me purpose instead of just being in the halls shaking my head at homestuckers. I can't relate to the new anime trends because I've shut down on 99% of it because it's all shit now. I either reminisce on the old stuff, cosplay from that one tolerable new-ish series, or just go to western media.

>> No.6901025

>>6900777
I relate to almost every single one of these. Ramen and Rice still guest at cons btw.

My no-face when I was a fansub trader throughout high school and inevitably had to throw out my 500+ vhs tapes.

>> No.6901033

33 years old here. Maybe I'm just looking through rose-colored lenses, but I miss how things were before anime exploded (and later imploded) onto the masses. I remember the great hentai blackout of AX 2000, I remember seeing Yaya Han pre-implants, I remember walking past an already-massive line for masquerade tickets at 4 in the morning, I remember the AMV head raging after someone threw a paper airplane into the theater screen and left a hole in it. Things were good back then.

At the same time, things aren't really all that bad. Cosplay has grown much bigger and more impressive that before. My nephew and his friends are going to cons along with me (or maybe I'm tagging along with them) and they're having a blast, merch is now infinitely easier to get a hold of than before (no more having to order from a paper catalog shop in the middle of nowhere), and cons are more plentiful than in the olden days. I suppose it balances out the bad, in the end.

>> No.6901049

>>6900959
I honestly think that you might be focusing on the negatives. People randomly striking up conversations, that STILL happens, I've seen it happen, hell I've been on both sides of the conversation.

Also we got more people and while the newer generation gave us FB like mongers, social justice warriors and that bad ilk, look what modern times has given cosplayers

- More venues to post pictures
- Social websites making it easier to share photos
- Average camera quality has risen
- Easier access to reference materials
- Easier access to wigs, contacts and other cosplay centric items
- Easier access to commissioned outfits (average cosplayer now shits on the standards back then)
- Information is now openly shared with tutorials and cosplayers receiving detailed feedback
- Multimedia masqurade skits involve videos, special effects
- shit ton easier to FIND pictures of yourself

>> No.6901050

>>6901033
>I remember the great hentai blackout of AX 2000

FUCK THE DISNEY POLICE!

>> No.6901055

>>6901050
Ha ha! I remember J-List didn't come back for years after Tatsugawa blamed it on them.

>> No.6901057

>>6900852

So did I, anon, so did I.

I started cosplaying in 1997 and my first actual convention was in 2000 once Aka-kon in Vancouver started. They weren't the good ole days by any means, as I had no friends to enjoy them with, but they sure were a stepping stone.

I was also big into the AVA scene in the late 90's, so it was interesting seeing some of the people I voice acted with starting cosplay at the same time.

>> No.6901080

man. I am only 25 and I remember the moogle invasion, sailor moon cards and stickers being sold at every stall, the pokemon anime just made it to the US, the highest cosplay based award you could get was Anime Expo's masquerade best in show.

I remember when Fanime was being held at Foothill College and to get anywhere you had to climb like 100 stairs, and I remember what real con funk smelled like...

I wonder what I am going to think about in five years, I wonder if I will still go to anime cons at all or if I will give it up... already I go to primarily comic conventions, they give me that old anime con feel without the young teenagers and the con funk, not to mention I think my tastes have changed for good.

>> No.6901084

>Just turned 35 last month
>Just discovered cons three years ago
>I'm late, but I'm still having fun

Most annoying part is finding a character that's not too young, not too old and not too sexy to cosplay. Other than that, it's all good.

I don't really mind cons turning into a giant tradeshow, the ones running online games often give out freebies, vendors are bringing in better wares than before (or so I'm told), and there's a lot of eyecandy to look at.

>> No.6901088

>>6900684
oh god not this shit again

>REMEMBER THE 90'S HURURHEUEHUEHU

>> No.6901092
File: 122 KB, 269x359, SimplotWAT2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6901033
OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT PAPER AIRPLANE! THAT GUY WAS SO MAD!

>" YOU. HAVE. JUST. PIERCED. A. FIVE. THOUSAND. DOLLAR. SCREEN!!!"

>"well then just fucking put up a white sheet next time and play the videos on time!"

>que the whole civic center laughing.

My god that paper airplane was amazing though, everyone else was aiming for the front of the stage at best, but then like some sort of aerodynamic spear this paper airplane soared well above the rest and smacked right into the screen and stuck! That was the year civ center staff called the swat team because the AMVs were canceled and they thought we were going riot over it. Everyone just sort of awkwardly filed past them because seriously? they thought we would riot? what?

I actually stayed behind though, and they played the Metropolis anime, that was the first time I had seen it and it was awesome!

Oh man all this nostalgia just hit me and I am dying! I miss all my old friends, and I miss Rob. I don't know if anyone here ever knew him but he was in charge of a lot of fanime's programing for the longest time and he was a pretty awesome dude, last time I saw him though he was really sick and couldn't keep doing the fanime stuff...

OH, and fucking "Dieter" and chair chants and "would you like to touch my totoro?" ahhhh those were the best days. When shit would be funny, and then just stop once it was old and not continue on.

>> No.6901103

>>6901092
Holy shit, they actually called in SWAT? I don't remember that; then again, my memory is shit for the most part. I do vaguely remember starting the "you suck" chant while waiting outside the theater, though.

>> No.6901114

>>6901103
HAHA! YEAH THEY TOTALLY DID! and it was hilllaaarrrious! If you didn't stay you most likely missed them though, because they showed up about 12 to 1AM when they finally confirmed that the AMVs were cancelled and they tried to placate people by playing Metropolis.

>> No.6901122

>>6901114
Ah, that explains it. I think me and my friends left around 10 or 11 - by that point, we had wasted about 6-8 hours waiting for the AMVs and got fed up. Ahh, the good old days. Were you there in '07 for his final AMV contest? Apparently, someone stole his laptop bag before the show started, which contained everything for the AMV contest as well as all his back-ups. Good times, good times.

>> No.6901134

>28 today
>cons for 11 years
>seemed like only yesterday people actually watched and loved what they were cosplaying
>cosplay was about having fun and being passionate about the things you enjoy, not beauty pageants
>most people were 18+ and there was no high school drama
>most cosplay at anime cons was actually anime
>most merchandise in the Dealers Room was legit and not bootlegged shit
>you could make friends with anyone
>worst fandom for teen fangirls was Gundam Wing, and even if it was bad then, it's not like fucking Homestuck or Hetalia are now and they weren't as fucking obnoxious
>Sailor Moon cosplayers who actually did grow up on the show
>those days before Naruto hit the US and watching it at local anime club without a room full of weeaboos
>cosplay competition at local anime club where all the people who enter do it for fun and aren't butthurt over not getting the ribbon
>anime hadn't turned to moe shit cancer aimed at men with mommy issues

>> No.6901152

>>6901134
Yeah, it sucks. Cosplay is now such a snobby popularity contest. Almost literally.

Before facebook existed, we had yahoo clubs/groups and i would talk to the people i met anime cons through there. No one was every sexually harassed or groped like today's insane cosplay scene. And like you said, things were actually anime related.

Eva
Gundam
Sailormoon
DBZ
Slayers
Inu Yasha
Ranma 1/2...
Ah back in the day

>> No.6901165

>>6901134
>>anime hadn't turned to moe shit cancer aimed at men with mommy issues
It's like you actually don't watch anime anymore.

>> No.6901170

>>6901088
Go back to bed, young one. You have school tomorrow. Let the adults have their brandy.

>> No.6901172

>>6901134
Except for all those dealers that sold Son May OSTs.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, KINOKUNIYA.

>> No.6901174

>>6901170
Oh gosh, I don't remember why I ever went to cons before I was old enough to drink. Hotel bars are doing God's work, man.

I don't think cosplay is worse now than it was. I'm honestly amazed by how much better all the costumes have gotten. You guys must remember what we all looked like back in the day, right? Even the best of us. Being able to make a buttonhole was an advanced skill back then, and it was like 2002 or 2003 before anyone even figured out how to heat-style wigs. (Witchwigs group order, anyone?) Even from just three or four years ago, costume quality has improved by leaps and bounds.

And there was always drama and popularity contests and accusations of "she's just some girl after attention for not wearing enough clothes." It's just that there are more people now.

>> No.6901178
File: 110 KB, 500x358, tfwnogf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a 20 year old /fit/izen wanting to get into cosplay, was I born too late for it to be an enjoyable experience?

>> No.6901181

Using IRC to download scanslations and Otakuworld. Ah yeah.

>> No.6901190

>>6901178
niggah u still young. barely out of high school and shit
you aren't old grandparent til you hit at least 25 and that's more like aunt/uncle
you can't even reminisce about this shit when you get older because everything has gotten so much easier to get andd themself consume and events have establishe

>> No.6901191

>>6901190
goddamn laptop keyboard
should be "easier to get and consume and events have established themself"

>> No.6901200

>>6901178
I know that feel
> I will never be young and part of a burgeoning sub culture.
I didn't need these feels this early in the day, I have to go to class later.

>> No.6901224

>>6901200
Sure you will. You just won't know it happened until you're like 30 or something. I was in middle school/high school/college in the 90s and remember thinking it was really a shame that the 90s didn't have a distinctive style or character the way the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s had. It just doesn't seem like a thing while it's happening.

>> No.6901236

>>6901134
Yes. Yes I was. that was the last year I went to Fanime I think... or the last year I bothered with AMVs, not 100% sure.

>>6901122

What the fuck are you smoking? MOST of the shit in the dealers hall was chinese knockoffs back in the day. I have about five hundred sailor moon stickers/posters/dolls/ what have you to prove it.

>>6901191
>>6901190
>laptop keyboard
>not drinking in sorrow of days long past

suuureee

>> No.6901244

>>6901236
dell laptops have a problem i've noticed over numerous models (even jumps the consumer and business lines; usually dell's business laptops are great) with the keyboards in which typing will randomly simulate a mouse click

ironically my old ass dell laptop from way back when never had the problem

>> No.6901269

I'm not even past 20 yet, but I love when these kind of threads pop up - so much fun reading about the evolution and origin of cons and cosplay.
Hey senpais, can I ask when did the first actually decent wigs popped up? And how did you know how to do shit without tutorials?

>> No.6901273

>>6901269
Oooh and artists alley! How did that work back in the days? What did people sell?

>> No.6901285

>>6901269
a) you didn't and someone had to figure it out
b) you asked someone else who did costuming

>> No.6901347

>>6901269
Amphigory was always around for wigs, but their selection was way smaller and they didn't have extra hair. Witchwigs had all the New Look stuff, and it was really cheap if you could get a group order going. (But you needed a lot of people for that.)

Oh yeah, there weren't really contact lenses. Definitely no circle lenses. If you saw a Rei Ayanami with red eyes it was like, "ZOMG, detail!"

The paucity of tutorials is a big part of why everything was just lower quality back then. If you wanted to do something, you had to either try to figure it out yourself or find someone who had done it (to varying degrees of success) and see if they would tell you what they did.

>> No.6901350

>>6901084
For real. I keep watching things and being like, "Dammit! Why are all the grown-ups naked?"

>> No.6901351

27, fanime 01 was my first con.

Sleeping in video rooms. No money for food. Drinking every night. Those were the days.

>> No.6901358
File: 154 KB, 1024x768, yaya-hinoto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6900777
>Watching hordes of photographers go apeshit over 19 year old Yaya Han's Hinoto cosplay

Oh jeez, yeah. That costume won everything back in 2001. It was like the biggest deal anybody had ever seen at that point.

>> No.6901363

first con was idk i don't attend regularly i just saw that they were selling authentic japanese food which is a rare sight these days now that japan fell out of vogue

and south korea and that gangam style nonsense is popular.

yaki-tori and sashimi

>> No.6901378

I think what bothers me most is the lack of passion. People used to really love anime and love cosplay. When you wore a costume it was generally because you loved the character and series and it was a beacon to meet fellow fans. You knew if you saw someone else dressed up from one of the series you liked they were an immediate friend.

Now? I feel like the odd one out among my friends. They don't care who or what they dress up from as long as its flashy and will get photos. People just cosplay for the hell of it, they don't even watch anime anymore. They can't even be assed to wear an anime costume to an anime convention.

You didn't used to need to get shitfaced to enjoy a convention. There were half the issues with con creepers and drama because going up to a stranger usually resulted in a huge or a fun conversation and not a dirty look or instant assumption you must be crazy.

I still only dress as character I love and I've seen the looks of surprise when I say "I love this character and show, that's why I'm dressed from it!" It's like admitting you actually still enjoy anime is faux pas.

>> No.6901384

>>6901378
loser

>> No.6901388

>What keeps you going?

I don't have a choice! Slow down and I lose my spot and fall behind, I can't afford that in my line of work. I have to constantly push myself to stay ahead of everybody else and to play the game like they want us to. It sucks but it's paying off, slowly.

>> No.6901404

>>6901378
I don't know that it's a lack of passion or just that the passion is differently directed. Cosplay used to be an expression of one's fandom. Now cosplay is a hobby of its own.

I don't have a problem with people sewing a costume because they like the design and think it looks like a fun thing to flex their sewing muscles on. There are a lot of reasons a person might choose to make an outfit. Did anyone really cosplay Lum because she was their favorite character?

>> No.6901411

40 year old here. I used to go to cons back when it was all teenagers and youngsters. I was the only one who could drink, really, and was constantly getting my dick sucked by one or two anime girls who hated their daddies.

Nowadays they tend to keep old men like me away from them. Ah well, at least I took copious videos. Oh Sailor Venus and and Mercury, how dirty you were...

>> No.6901410

Oh god, this thread.

I'm 31. I first went to Otakon 2000. I saw the rise and fall of J-Rock and the rise of EGL that followed, and the brief super-popularity of Angel Sanctuary.

I remember Derek with his foam hair. There was a small group of cosplayers who worked together who always put on the best skit in the lot, and then the rest of the cosplay rabble in their cheap shiny satin and fraying edges, sneakers, no wigs, no makeup. But you know what? They were happy.

We were all happy.

There was a time when convention panels were all about fandom -- none about cosplay. You had to work hard to find the resources to put your costumes together. People lined up for the masquerade for HOURS because it was the biggest event at the convention. The masquerade audience was always packed with overflow in another room.

I remember Kevin Lillard walking by, quietly mentioning the series of your cosplay, snapping a photo, and drifting off into the crowd. I was a "Fans View Personality of the Week" 10 years ago.

I would love to go back and experience a con of that time again. Best fun I ever had. No pretentiousness, no private "professional" photoshoots popping up all over. Just people and disposable cameras taking pictures of characters they adored, cosplayed by people who also adored the character.

>> No.6901415

>>6901410
This.

It was a lot more difficult to put a costume together back then, but in a way that was a good thing. People actually had to try. Even if their costume turned out looking like crap they still tried. I would take a passionate person in a shitty costume over an attention-whore in an ebay costume who doesn't give a crap about the character she's dressed as.

Back then it was so rare to even find photos, and when you did it was a huge deal. Now it seems like if people don't find at least 20 professional shots of themselves they get butthurt and feel ignored.

>> No.6901422

>>6900594
>>wat do
>>drown sorrows in liqour

Pretty much this. Bars at anime cons have actually made me appreciate the drinking age.

>> No.6901429
File: 560 KB, 637x479, dude.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6900684

Guess you've been subjected to age-related neural decay or something; hate to burst your bubble but attention is a big-ass part of cospaly. If you want to appeal to some lame-ass, empty virtue, fucking dress up and stay home or something. That's dumb? Of course it is, you want people to see you.

>> No.6901432

>28

Weirdly enough I still see a lot of the "doing it for love, even if it's not perfect" cosplay passion, but it's all in the western fandoms all us oldfags hate. Anime cosplay just got too competitive and catty.

>> No.6901441

I stopped cosplaying anime stuff when I was in my late twenties. Now that I'm in my early thirties, I only cosplay stuff that I grew up and mostly do it at Comic Conventions.

It just feels awkward to cosplay anime that is generally popular with kids half your age.

>> No.6901477

>>6901350

Most anime I end up watching tends to have a young female cast and maybe a mother figure or a grandmother. It's rare to find a character that's a mature, OL-age type of lady, and when I do, usually she's showing a lot of cleavage and leg and in stilettos.

examples:
T&B: Agnes is my age range, but her blouse is unbuttoned way too low, and her skirt slit too high. Also, stilettos at an entire con.
Psycho Pass: Cleavage obviously the result of a pushup bra. No ordinary office will allow a skirt that's mid-thigh. Also, stilettos.
Karneval: Oh Eva, if your outfit covered your midriff I'd actually try to cosplay you. Heels.

The last cosplay I did was Yuuko from xxxholic (not the sexy kimono, I did the navy one when they were playing mahjong). Someone also said I could probably do Madam Red (Kuroshitsuji). If anyone wants to recommend other characters I'd be happy to listen.

sorry for derailing the thread, I saged

>> No.6901512

Guys, could you share some pics from old cons here? It souds so romanchikku~ that I want to see all that passionate fans in satin and foam hair.

>> No.6901522

>>6901512
http://www.acparadise.com/acs/display.php?c=1537

fans view. the mecca of ancient cosplay. i miss the old site.

>> No.6901536
File: 72 KB, 390x419, masquerade line.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6901512
How old do you want?

>> No.6901541
File: 282 KB, 715x432, harlockwin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6901477
Unless you really show your age, it's possible to play a teenage character in many cases. I would never attempt some sort of moe character though. A tough or more mature looking teenager, yeah totally doable. But I like you have moved on to older characters, and honestly, when I was younger I wanted to cosplay the 30 year old guys so it's not a big change for me. If anything, I can pull it off better now with all my face's baby fat gone and crap, and that makes me happy.

>> No.6901573

>>6901512
I'll see what I can find, but for a real trip google old Dragoncon costume photos. Crazy 70s people, semi naked in wings.

>> No.6901587

>31 here
Still go to cons though sort of care about them less within the past few year.

Still collect figures. Love to take pictures. Still read comics and watch anime and cartoons.

When I go now I'm less interested in meeting new people like I was in my mid 20's. I don't actively do it, but it happens. And it's still fun when I do make a new casual con friend.

I can't say cons were better then or if they're getting better now. It's just a different time. Different media and availability to that media. Different networking. As long as the people who go enjoy it, that's all that should matter. Though I do see a lot more complaining now a days. But again, that could be attributed to the availability in networking today. Easier to get your voice out there and all that. Having gone to a lot of cons it's easy for me to look at fads I dislike and know they all fade in time.

The con I seem to care most about these days is SDCC. If I have to cut my cons down to one con a year, it'll be that one.

>>6900777
holy shit you just teleported me back in time.

>> No.6901614

>>6901536
...I was young and beautiful once :(

>> No.6901671

>>6901541

Yeah, I've been told I look okay as certain high school-age characters (like you said, no k-on style moeblobs), but whenever I make a younger cosplay I feel like it has a shorter shelf life compared to my older-age cosplays. I don't really want to be that person that doesn't realise I've gotten too old to keep cosplaying teenagers.

(I've been trying to figure out if I've ever watched Space Pirate or Battleship Yamato as a kid, can't recall the plot, but that art style is really familiar. Thank you for posting that image, I'm going to see if I can track down anything from the early series)

>> No.6901690

>2013
>Playing dress up beyond the age of 18

>> No.6901717

32 and second generation otaku here

I remember my mother taking me back to anime gatherings back in the late 80s/early 90s back then the only thing I enjoyed were robots

I remember going to the VERY FIRST Anime Expo in San Jose back when it was known as AnimeCon back in '91
I knew people who liked anime before that but it blew me away that I was getting to meet voice actors and buy merchandise that wasn't specially shipping in from Japan by my parents - it was just there.

What is making me sad in this thread is how people are saying cons have gone downhill so much. They have changed yes but I remember cons even in the mid 90's still had horrible basement dwellers walking around like they owned the place and we weren't nearly as accepted by the general public as they are now. Sure we still get weird looks but I remember being treated with genuine hostility by some of the hotel staff and general public. I walked around as a 14 year old little girl in my goku cosplay (because even then, i liked the boy characters better) that my mom had painstakingly made for me holding my new voltron figure that looked like it was from mcdonalds but I didn't care.

Sure I miss the days of my youth but seeing people at cons having fun as an actual community is greatly fulfilling for me. My daughter is 8 and loves anything magical girl so I dress her up for the cons that I still attend (maybe one or two a year). Instead of getting weird looks she is embraced by everyone who thinks she is the cutest thing on the planet - because thats what she is and she deserves to have a good time.

Now I feel old haha but overall, I like how the con circuit has turned out - it's by NO means perfect but it's more diverse and generally more embraced by society as a whole.

>> No.6901735

>>6901522
thanks for this

>> No.6901744

>>6901178
>>6901200
If you think 20 is too old to be part of a trend, then you must be mentally handicapped.

20-somethings own the trends. High schoolers, tween, and 'millennials' are the ones frantically gobbling up the years old leftovers, desperately trying to act like they are blazing trails and defining their culture.

>> No.6901759

>>6901541
I saw a bunch of Harlocks/Esmereldas at Fanime last year and I damn well flipped my shit in happiness

>> No.6901842
File: 1.06 MB, 919x720, 1359966628219.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you had your very first con romance and it turned out to be a fucking nightmare in the end.
>tfw you now know to pretty much never get into a relationship with a con-goer chick, the majority of them having insane personal issues.
>tfw con-women have broken you :(

>> No.6901848

I'm 25 and I already feel like I'm detached from the con-going scene.

I've always been a hidden power level kind of guy, and I don't make a point, even at a convention, to act like a screaming, wild, high on con-fumes idiot. I stick to my group of friends, I make friendly banter with others, and I have a good time just people watching.

At this point, I don't think I even have enough con-going friends to put together a cosplay group or enough interest in popular anime series to cosplay something so I have photoshoots to go to.

I still want to make costumes and props and shit, but that's more to do with me being the sort of artsy fucker that likes making fantasy shit into something I can hold and handle.

Maybe I'll just fade into the background and just do commissions and help my younger siblings get into con-going by making shit for them.

>> No.6901851

>>6901536
Hmmm... Mostly 90s? In my country cosplay cons does not existed before 2000s, so it would be interesting to see how people did it back then.

>> No.6902089

>>6900755
Do you mean Anime Festival Orlando 2? Because god damn anon, that was my first con too. 29 years old now, still cosplaying 12 years later. Cons have lost some of their charm, but I've got to say that being employed makes a hell of a difference in what I can cosplay now.

>> No.6902116

I'm only 24 so I don't really have anything much to say about anime and cosplaying culture from the 90s and early 2000s. Hell, I came from the tail end of the Geocities, IRC and Angelfire era so I got those last bits before the Dot-Com bubble bust and Web. 2.0 Hell, the first time I heard about cosplaying and cosplayers was around say 2004 through a Final Fantasy 6 romhacked made by Something Awful called Awful Fantasy 3.

Anyway I gotta question for the old heads and old folks around here: During the 90s how did you guys got word of month of conventions and cosplayers? Magazines? BBS boards? Geocities?

Just wonderin' cuz I always wanted to know the history and evolution of these sorta things.

>> No.6902120

>>6902116
all of the above

>> No.6902231
File: 8 KB, 133x200, cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All the early 2000's. Back when Kevin Lillard was at literally every con.

>> No.6902271
File: 68 KB, 936x958, haruhipensive1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6901842
>tfw 18-year-old college student and will be going to my first con this year in hopes of meeting a con-woman
Do you have any advice, besides "don't do it"?

>> No.6902273

>>6902271
don't go to meet a chick. go to have fun, and if you're lucky you'll meet a chick. going for just a girl means your weekend will be ruined if you don't score.

>> No.6902310

>>6902116
Back in the 90s they didn't have the enormous amount of convention farms they have today. Even the "big" cons like AX and Otakon were only about the size of something like what AWA or Anime Boston is today. It wasn't even until 2001 that AX, the biggest con in the country, was even held in an convention center. So it wasn't like there were all these cons that you had to know about.

But still, even in the 90s people had internet. Cons had websites, people talked about them on forums and in chatrooms, etc. Cons also passed out flyers and anime clubs at universities all knew about them. The Anime fandom scene was a more closely-knit community so people knew all about cons and stuff. Otakus knew about their cons just like the internet knows about Reddit and 4chan.

>> No.6902311

>>6900594

>> No.6902325
File: 50 KB, 640x400, 234fgddf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>That feel when teenagers at cons today don't even recognize Deedlit or Ranma cosplays

What has happened to the world?

>> No.6902338

>>6902325
in a few words...

we got old

>> No.6902350

Oh, the memories that are being dredged up in this thread… I remember my first many cons, cosplaying without a wig because "my hair is close enough." No. No it wasn't. AMVs were mind-blowing back then (nostalgia filter, probably) and the anime community wasn't completely overrun by a handful of series yet.

On the bright side, way back when I started going to cons, I went to see the new anime in the video rooms and ignored all guests. I missed a lot of amazing guests back then. Now guest panels are my priorities and I feel like my con experiences are more… fulfilling?

>>6901410
Yes. This.

>> No.6902423

>>6902325
Kids don't watch old shit, no matter how good it is. The anime market is glutted now, everything that comes out is accessible while back in our day, you watched what you could find because it was harder to get in the US.

Too many series coming out and no time to go back to classics.

>> No.6902526

>>6902231
I heard that he's homeless or seeking a full-time job.

>>6902310
Insightful. Like I said, I enjoy learning about how conventions became to be from humble starts and how people from the 90s would go to them and learn about them and compare and see how they are today in my generation.

Was there like even any form of drama or beefs during this time like we have now?

>> No.6902537

>>6902423
Oh god this. Imagine being a 30 year old cosplayer and a high school teacher. Always hiding my power levels and shaking my head at teens. Most of these teenagers think anything made before they were born is a waste of their time to watch. Not just anime, ANYTHING. It's ridiculous.

>> No.6902546

>>6902350
AMVs were mindblowing back then because we did that shit on VCRs! That took some effort and it was all about the editing and timing, not just flashy After Effects gimmicks.

>> No.6902586

>>6902423
A shame, since stuff like Record of Lodoss War is still better and has better quality art and animation than 99% of stuff made today.

>> No.6902588

>>6902537
Really? I've found a lot of teens (myself included) like a combination of older movies and newer movies.

>> No.6902597

>>6901410
I still kick myself to this day for passing over a dealer who had the entire Japanese manga set of Angel Sanctuary. I was maybe 14 or 15 at the time. Gosh, I could kick myself for a lot of things I passed over 15 years ago.

I remember going to the video rental store to get anime- where hentai and non-hentai were all in the same group and no one checked IDs because it was cartoons. I will never forget the first time watching Ninja Scroll and Demon City Shinjuku as a kid.

VHS with 2 episodes of a series costing 35$. Voice actors with actual talent and resumes that consisted of more than the flavor of the week anime. The Ocean dub of DBZ. Going to my best friend's house to watch late series DBZ and GT because her parents let her use the dial-up to download episodes. AOL chatrooms dedicated to roll play, and actually making legit friends from it.

It amazes me how much kids have changed. I went to cons as a young kid and teen with friends. We didn't act like animals just because our parents weren't there. We had fun but were still respectful and maintained our manners.

I loved making costumes, even if they weren't very good. I spray colored my hair and styled it. Used pins on things I couldn't figure out how to sew. I got fabric I could afford on my babysitting money, so I wasn't rolling around in satin. And no one cared.

And what was it? Mid 2000s when bands like Duel Jewel and Camino were at US cons all the time? I had no idea who they were when I met them. Oh and I remember Guitar Wolf. Those guys were a freaking blast live.

>> No.6902653

>Everyone who can't fucking deal with new anime acting like a retard

>Especially the ones that claim they liked Sailor Moon and then talk about how much they hate 'moeshit' in the same post.

>> No.6902660

>>6902325

There are people who call themselves "die hard otaku" but have never heard of Tenchi Muyo and El Hazard.

That shit is fucked up man...

Speaking of Tenchi Muyo. Who here remembers the TMFFA?
http://www.tmffa.com/old/frame.html

Now as for getting older and cons, it's at the point now that I can only attend 2 per year due to the fact that I'm working like crazy now and don't have the time to travel to 4-5 cons in a year with my buddies. Plus even with government discounts, traveling to cons is getting more expensive as time goes by.

This years Otakon might be my last for a bit as I concentrate on going to DragonCon in 2014.

>> No.6902691

>>6902271
Be attractive

Be confident

Be alpha

You may be able to pull off not being attractive.

>> No.6902700

>>6902660
they have to be pretty young because damn, even i remember them having tenchi muyo on cartoon network. I watched it on KTEH. Never realized how good I had it to just be able to watch anime on a public broadcast channel.

>> No.6902703

>>6902691
I think I'm somewhat attractive. Approaching people that are willing to have a conversation and not getting in their way is what I'm worried about.

Part of me says I'm overthinking this and I should just take it easy.

>> No.6902705

>>6902588
Well just by being on 4chan you're probably either nerdier and/or smarter than the average teen so you're sort of out of that general group. I'm sort of speaking for the generation through a generalization of the majority.

>> No.6902706

>>6902700
oh god KTEH, aka how I saw almost all of my anime for my formative otaku years.

>> No.6902716

>>6902660
I wouldn't call TM or El Hazard the cream of the 1990s anime crop, esp. with El Hazard there's no reason young kids would necessarily gravitate to that old title. It's just like I watch Rose of Versailles and Leiji titles as my dominate 1970s anime but I don't know of much else from the time aside from immortal staples like Gundam and Doraemon.

>> No.6902722

>>6902706
yes
KTEH was a godsend

>> No.6902738

>>6902703
Then just be alpha and confident.

I'm not attractive in the least and I got a pretty hot underage Kagami cosplayer in my bed.

No drugs involved. Just confidence.

>> No.6903404
File: 579 KB, 3600x2400, Westercon4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6901851
Don't have anything from the 90's really, I just have really old pics from cons from the 60's and 70's. What country are you in?

>> No.6903454 [DELETED] 

>>6902703
The easiest way is just to rape a chick; but in a way that shows you're dominant. Keep insulting her and telling she's a slut while you're raping her, don't say "omg i am so sorry b-but I c-couldn't resist". Women do actually love to be raped; but only in an Alpha way, where you treat them like an object.

>> No.6905162 [DELETED] 

>>6902703
The easiest way is just to rape a chick; but in a way that shows you're dominant. Keep insulting her and telling she's a slut while you're raping her, don't say "omg i am so sorry b-but I c-couldn't resist". Women do actually love to be raped; but only in an Alpha way, where you treat them like an object.

>> No.6905176
File: 32 KB, 413x413, upset-people.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey, fellow late 20s females.

Anyone else feeling the pinch and desperately want to settle down with someone soon?

Feels bad to be honest

>> No.6905186

>>6905176
Fug no, I'll continue to go to cons to partey and get my vagina pounded by studs as long as I can. Even if I'll have to take plastic surgery and lie about my age.

>> No.6905188

>>6905162
watch your mouth about Denmark.

>> No.6905190

>>6905188
Or what, is she gonna delete my post? She's the worst janitor on 4chan. I hope someone cuts up that whores vagina and shits inside it.

>> No.6905194

>>6901181
Yum, that AOL dial up connecting sound.

>> No.6905196

>>6905190
Like I have any clue who you're talking about.
I'm just trying to understand different boards.

>> No.6905197

>>6901347
I remember when people first started wearing red contacts with certain cosplays and it was the shit back then

And yeah, i think my first major wig purchase ($50) was from Amphigory. Now they're total shit.

>> No.6905199

>>6901410
I was at one of the earlier Otakons (2003 I believe) and did Jrock karaoke. Oh man..

Then I remember Rosiel, Kham, and Dai-chan's big Angel Sanctuary group and their skit "Clockwork Angel."

I miss those days

>> No.6905201

>>6902231
Is that the dude from fansview or whatever that site was? he always took the worst photos of people, but damn if it wasn't exciting to go online and find your photo from that con and feel proud.

>> No.6905208

>>6905176
Yep. Want a baby too.

Wish I hadn't spent my younger years whoring around at cons and actually bothered to find a decent boyfriend. Honestly. Now it's feeling like it's too late.

>> No.6905215

>>6905208
Obvious Athens / neckbeard virgin male troll is obvious.

Real pretty women don't want a baby in their 20s (a parasite that destroyes their bodies). And no normal young girl would call being a sexually independent woman "whoring".

I hope you know you will die as a virgin.

>> No.6905223

>>6905215
>Is on /cgl/ 12 hours a day calling people virgins/athens.
>Thinks she has a life of any kind beyond cosplaying

>> No.6905228

>>6905223
no I also spend my time seducing neckbeard virgins so that I can cut off their pure virgin cocks and use it for my witchcraft

>> No.6905236

>>6905228
>Implying you don't have submissive sexual fantasies

Oh anon... Don't play coy.

>> No.6905241

>>6905236
Yeah, keep saying that Athens, one day it will surely get you laid :rolleyes:

>> No.6905245

>>6905241
:flexesmuscles:
:raiseseyebrow:
:grabsdick:
get wrekt anon

>> No.6905269

>>6905241

You have such an obvious crush on that tripfag it's actually quite funny.

>> No.6905297

>>6901404
>Did anyone really cosplay Lum because she was their favorite character?

Yes, they did.

>> No.6905299

>>6901404
Uh, yeah, And people cosplayed plenty of other characters because they actually liked them. I miss those days. No one went to a con back in late 90's/early 2000 thinking x amount of photographers were gonna swarm them and put their photos online. They went to meet other fans, buy merch and have fun.

>> No.6905300

>>6901842
>>tfw you now know to pretty much never get into a relationship with a con-goer chick, the majority of them having insane personal issues.
>tfw con-women have broken you :(

That fucking feel man.

THAT FUCKING FEEL

>>6902271
Yeah, never try to save a woman from her own life, lest she gets someone to try to save her from you.

>> No.6905301

>>6902116
It's crazy that some Angelfire sites still work

I found out about anime cons through word of mouth by the internet and magazines like Newtype and Animerica.

>> No.6905303

>>6902325
Newer fans are more into "fads".

Previous Generations of anime fans were much more passionate, and wanted to explore the history of anime as a whole, and saw it as more of an artform.

Generally, the thing that drove most anime fans "to" anime back in the day was that they wanted to get away from western media schlock that was killing their minds with garbage. But you know, still wanted cartoons.

So we found anime. And it was excellent.

But then, the modern fans came in....and things are not quite so excellent now. Most of them hate that anything before the year 2000 exists. Anything with a shred of intellect to it is shamed for being "too deep". Most of these newer fans won't even care about anime in about 5 years from now, let alone 10. Most of them brought their petty High School attitude crap with them also, turning Anime Cons into popularity contests.....

But enough of my bitching. More 90's photos please!

>> No.6905322

>>6905303
> But then, the modern fans came in... Most of them hate that anything before the year 2000 exists. Anything with a shred of intellect to it is shamed for being "too deep".

As someone younger than you but older than these 'new fans', you're full of shit.

>> No.6905328

>>6905299
Of course they cosplayed characters they liked. I was there, too. OK, I'm surprised to hear that anyone was really that in love with Lum, but her character always left me cold, so I always just assumed the main goal behind a Lum cosplay was "tiny fur bikini." I'm pleasantly surprised to find out I was incorrect. (And I should realize by now that my taste is not universal. I mean, people love the shit out of Grell from Kuroshitsuji, and I found everything about him just awful.)

But I don't believe that a desire for attention or to show off one's body is an entirely new phenomenon, nor does it preclude being an actual fan (then or now). One can be a geek and love a character and still want to get attention and show off one's body. They're not mutually exclusive. I mean, back in 99 or 2000 I saw a girl at ACen cosplay "Towel Rei," ie: Rei Ayanami having just gotten out of the shower. The costume was a blue wig and a small bath towel, and that was it. While I believe that she totally loved Rei Ayanami, I would suspect that she was also looking to make a bit of a splash as "towel Rei."

I also remember people going a bit gaga trying to get into the Studio Ironcat cat girl calendars in 2000 and 2001 (for 2001 and 2002 editions). There wasn't money involved or anything, just the bragging rights of getting to be in a calendar of cosplayers in cat girl outfits.

Basically I don't think the scene was rushed and ruined by a bunch of evil girls. The elements people decry now were always present to some extent, it's just that they stand out more now because there are a lot more people and the Internet is a lot faster and everything looks slicker and more polished because of it. (If Studio Ironcat put out a catgirl call today, they wouldn't get awkward, grainy scans of 35mm photos of dour, makeupless teenagers sitting on top of their parents' cars and trying to look sexy. They'd get professional photos of glamorous girls in perfect makeup on their parents' cars.)

>> No.6905331

I'm 28, been going to anime cons since 1999 (AX, when they had a premier of one of the Tenchi Movies....Tenchi 2, I think)

At the time, all the people I talked to at the convention were a good 8-10 years older than me. I was a young kid, yet I was still talking the talk with the best of the nerds. We all had a lot more in common then, no matter your age.

It sucks, I don't think conventions have changed so much as the fanbase has. Anime cons used to be very inclusive, and had a passion to them. Everyone really loved anime. Cosplaying wasn't done so much for competition, but for the sake of participating. Even if people's costumes were crummy, they still dressed up to be a part of the fun (think toga parties, or trekkies). It was a much closer knit community, even without the internet to help us for the most part.

It's strange. Fans from the 60's-90's all seemed to be on the same page, in terms of passion for the fandom. The newer fans seem to lack the love or dedication. I think anime fans have turned their back on their sci-fi/fantasy/comic-convention/Geek roots. I've seen a lot less true geeks as part of the hobby nowadays.

I feel a lot more at home at places like SDCC these days. But that's mostly due to more adults and stuff.

Maybe I should create a convention....a "Classic-on" of sorts. Anime convention that focuses more on classic anime, with an emphasis on adult attendees (18+ only), true discussion panels, guests that shaped the industry as we know it, Masquerade focusing on older titles, cosplay "parades" to get everyone at the con involved and get everyone's costume seen, and of course hotel bars fully stocked on alcohol (because reasons).

I wouldn't get a lot of attendees, but that would be the point. Smaller, more intimate. Casual liquor vendors at every corner so we can sip our cocktails and discuss the 90's OVA boom with a Tenchi Muyo cosplay group.

It will be glorious.

>> No.6905334

>>6905322
Then you obviously are not the problem.

>> No.6905344
File: 22 KB, 331x432, 43gfdfg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw memories of a time when there was no such thing as "creepers" since we were all a part of the Otaku family

>> No.6905352
File: 54 KB, 640x480, 324dfdss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>AX '98
>Waiting in line outside the screening room for an hour just to get first look at the first 2 episodes of Cowboy Bebop
>Half of the line couldn't get in due to room full
>Crowd riveted during the first opening scene, laughed hilariously at every joke, and applauded at the closing credits
>Afterwards people exited and sat around the hall outside to talk about it

>> No.6905353

I remember when cons weren't about going to the rave to score some x and get laid.

I remember when there were a lot less femanons around and the only notable camwhore on 4chan was togi-chan.

Femanons go home.

>> No.6905388

>>6902546
Omg, i love older amvs so much. I was just watching a Berserk one from 6 years ago.

The new movies are so terrible. I know older Berserk fans (myself included) went to see them anyway but damn... Everyone is so fucking computer generated, it's not even funny. And they skipped over Griffith's entire back story, making his next moves seem incredibly random.

>> No.6905389

>>6902597
>Demon City Shinjuku

Holy shit, anon!! I feel like you just described me age 11 and up. haha

I still have my Demon city VHS
and yes, my first hentais were La blue girl because no one checked IDs even though i was clearly under 15 .

>> No.6905393

>>6905389
meant under 18

>> No.6905411

Honestly, yeah the cosplay scene has changed, otakus have changed, anime culture is way different now,

But what I miss the most is the way you made friends at cons. Before, you'd go alone or with a friend. You didn't know anyone. And then you'd see someone sitting in the hallway reading your favourite manga, or someone wearing a shirt with your favourite anime screenprinted on it. Or a group of people building Gundam figures in a corner. And you'd just plop down and start talking. And talking. And maybe you'd just get up and g on your way, or maybe you'd trade emails, AIMs and keep in contact and form a great bond and friendship. It didn't matter if they were older or younger, male or female, you just had that great bond.

Nowadays, people panic if they don't have anyone to meet up with or go with to a con. People plan to meet their e-friends in giant packs. Meetups are pre-arranged. And if someone comes up to you and starts talking about an anime or something, a majority of younger people think they're a 'creeper'.

It's hilarious how when we grew up it was 'don't talk to people online because stranger danger, but con friends are cool!' and now it's 'let me tell strsngers online my entire life but people at cons are weird!'

One of my best memories was at Ikasucon 2005, where I bought some prints (OC prints because back then it didn't matter if it was a real character or not, this was someone who drew manga well!) off an artist, I gave her some candy which was hilariously bad, and I jut sat down and hung out with her. Two other people sat down, who none of us knew, and we just chatted about everything. There was an age gap of about 7 years between some of us, but we didn't care. And I still talk to that group today to make sure they're ok.

>> No.6905414

>>6905389
Yeah, La Blue Girl was my second, I think. My first was Urotsukidoji. I still love them. My best friend and I will forever have fond memories of staying up all night at sleepovers and watching hentai, laughing at all the massive prehensile penises.

>> No.6905420

>>6905414
Urotsukidoji was my first too. I think was 12? One of my close friends had an older brother who had a small vhs collection of hentai and he asked me and another friend to come over to watch 'this really weird cartoon from japan" and i sat there so disturbed, but curious about this. I was 12, and never seen a penis yet, so i was like "uhh wow. this is...interesting."
Secretly i was wondering if penises did that irl. Glad they don't. lol

>> No.6905429

>>6901411
Roy Harms? Is that you? Also is the Venus and Mercury you're talking about Hanime and RamenNoodles? I always wondered that.

>> No.6905443

31 here. Been attending conventions since 2001.

I still fully enjoy going to them. Mostly because no matter what, I still have a good circle of friends to hang out with. I don't have too much problem making new friends or acquaintances, but at times it can be difficult especially if most everyone else is a teenager and while I don't mind talking to younger folk (especially those that are good mannered, which can be rare at cons), I just feel out of place. When I was their age, all I knew about anime (Japanimation) was from Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Pokemon. And now it's like, ~INTERNET~!

Sometimes I do miss the old days, but god damn, I sort of love how anime cons are a conglomeration of all fandoms right now. Way back in the day, everyone cosplayed from the same handful of series, and that's totally not an issue now. So many colorful and varied costumes, stuff that doesn't even fit in with the theme of the convention but are pretty awesome anyway.

The only thing I do miss is the lack of attention whoring on a large scale, when you weren't overly sexualized for being female and cosplaying regardless how much skin you were showing. I don't really participate in any of the drama or stupidity. But there are a lot of things that have changed for better or worse.

>> No.6905464

>>6900824
You are definitely someone I know if you were there for The Box. And also I was one of the cosplayers joked on in the "cosplay divas" skit and they asked me if it was cool first. I personally went off on Danny T for saying shit about them for that.

>> No.6905468

>>6905464
And I don't mean to double post, but I'm 31 and have been going to cons since '99 and I love these nostalgia threads. I don't like anime cons at all anymore, honestly. I'm watching Attack on Titan right now, but I tend to only watch one new anime per year anymore, so that will probably be it for me. What happens with most of us, in my experience, is we move on to comic cons and DragonCon and focus on other fandoms. And that's totally okay. I was at Katsucon this year and hardly recognized anything that anyone was dressed as and I was like...yep, I think this is my last one.

>> No.6905480

>>6905468
I agree with you. I might watch one or 2 new things in a year, maybe. I also just started Attack on Titan, and I haven't decided yet if it is something that will hold my attention.

I love going to DragonCon when I can make it. I stopped going to anime cons a few years ago, and now only go if there are old friends I don't see often in town for them. I think part of it is simply having to be more responsible with our time and money. I can't afford to every single con around and we can't take off work as often as we'd like to, either.

>> No.6905487

>>6905443
Are you married?

>> No.6905493

>>6900594
>31 here

I attribute my whole deal to having gotten into the game later than most. I was into anime and comics ever since I first watched Voltron and the Adam West Batman reruns as a kid and would get into them for a while every few years when one thing or another would grab my interest. Batman: the Animated Series. Getting sent issues of Maximum Carnage at summer camp. Tenchi Muyo and Ninja Scroll being available at my local video store. Toonami.

I never really got into the whole con scene until much later for several reasons. One was that I had very few friends who were into anime and comics at all, and even fewer that would be interested in going to a con. Trying to find friends who were interested never really worked out, either. I remember going to my university's anime club and thinking, "Oh man, I'll finally be able to discuss anime with people now," but they were such annoying weebs I never went back. Another reason was that I lived in the middle of nowhere for most of my life was too poor/frugal to justify the expense of traveling to and attending cons. Before I moved to Atlanta for work about three years ago, the only con I ever attended was AWA 2003 (they had to share the galleria with a real estate convention), and only because I was going to college about 3 hours away from it and decided to make a day trip of it.

Still, I was always fascinated by cons and cosplay, so I guess getting into it recently has been a sort of "catching up" for me... or a quarter-life crisis. Take your pick. Still, a few of my coworkers attend cons in and out of cosplay and I've got a pretty good group of con friends. I'm even part of a cosplay group that has members that range from early twenties to mid-thirties.

>> No.6905625

>>6900594
Not just that certain cosplays were rare, it was the whole convention scene that was still underground. People actually went to cons because of their love anime/manga and it was FUN!!!, hardly any drama. I hate to sound like some elitist asshole, but it seems like when people hearing about online then it started becoming mainstream where young kids and high school student started bringing drama into it.

>> No.6905747

>>6905625
No, I agree. Back in the day, like the late 90s and early 2000s at anime cons, I'd say that just about every cosplayer had a cheap website and we all knew each other. Interacting was easy because we were all on mailing lists, and cons were the place to dress up (you never saw photoshoots taking place in different locations back then) and meet up with your online friends. Now the scene is so saturated that some of my friends will name drop cosplayers they know and I'm just like, "who?" Sorry, I don't fucking know everyone in the world. Ain't nobody got time for that.

>> No.6905766

>>6905199
back when skits weren't kpop dances.

>> No.6905768

Also who else thinks that cosplaying from Angel Sanctuary at a 'modern' con would blow peoples minds now that Alexiels and Rosiels aren't everywhere? I keep considering this.

>> No.6905897
File: 172 KB, 1244x800, 1312313331676.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6901410
Oh man, I remember all of this. Kevin was the first photographer to get my picture and I was just amazed that it was online. I was a Personality of the Week at one point as well! (I think back in 05?) He was a nice guy and I was always amazed at how many series and characters he knew off the top of his head.
I still cosplay things I like. I just don't have as much time to actually sew as much anymore so I stick with quick and easy things.
>>6905468
>>6905480
Are you guys me? I don't really watch a lot of anime much anymore either. I've always been a comics/sci-fi/fantasy fan before anime though.
DragonCon is my favorite con since it's more multi-genre and a bit more relaxed and adult oriented.

>> No.6905923

>>6905331
I have often joked with my friends about making our own 18+ con and calling it "Yare yare con" because we're fed up. It'd be so hard to get in that there'd be like a handful of people under 18 who'd get special admittance and 100 people over 18 at best would be accepted in either... because being over 18 doesn't necessarily stop the immaturity or the crazy by any means.

captcha: asshol which

>> No.6905929

>>6905768
Oh god, the Angel Sanctuary cosplay trend. WINGS... WINGS EVERYWHERE! I never got around to making mine. I do wonder how many people actually read the manga or just the abomination of an OVA. I think half of them were Belials anyhow.

>> No.6905932

>>6905897
I'm going to my first D*c this year. I am so looking forward to not hating all the people surrounding me at a con for once!

>> No.6905933

>>6905923
http://nauticons.com/

>> No.6905934

>>6905929
Belials or ghetto setsunas and lucifers.

>> No.6905956

>>6905934
I cannot remember her name exactly.. was it Dio maybe?... she had made Adam Kardamom and it was like all six massive wings and since she was short she was in these insanely tall shoes. She was one of the best cosplayers in the jrock circuit. Sometimes I consider making something from a visual kei band again but it'd be a lot of wtf are you from? It's hard to believe so many visual kei cosplays were around just 7 or so years ago and now they've sort of gone since the big bands are either broken up or shed the visual kei aspect of their look.

>> No.6905965

>>6905353
Man, you seem mad you can't get any.

>> No.6905963

>>6905923
Over 21 would be better, but honestly most 21 year olds are dumb as rocks too.

>> No.6905983

>>6905965
Who wouldn't be mad about something like that?

>> No.6906006
File: 455 KB, 1280x800, 1331827994880.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6905932
Oh man, it's worth every penny to go! I had a blast just sitting and people watching.
Going to that con was like being five again. I walked around just pointing at everything going "HEY THERE'S A _______!!" "LOOK AT THAT _____!!"
It was awesome.

Oh, and if you drink get yourself a Voodoo Juice. You will not regret it.

>> No.6906010

>>6900729
Feels :C

>> No.6906031

>>6900729
>>6906010
My first con, we picked up a Gendo cosplayer and he just followed us around all con barely talking and when he did he put his hands in front of his mouth. I don't even remember if we ever got his name, but he was hilarious and stuck with us. I miss random crap like that happening.

>> No.6906055
File: 78 KB, 720x576, supers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6906006
Yeah when I see photos from D*c I already start getting that feeling. I can't wait and join photoshoots that I don't want to leave five minutes in.

Doc and Jackson had better be there this year.

>> No.6906090

>>6900858
That is pretty funny

>> No.6906148

>>6906055
>D*c

What convention is that? Doesn't google properly.

>> No.6906188

>>6906055
The guy in the bottom left hand corner is just straight up heiling.

>> No.6906496

>>6906148
Dragon Con

>> No.6906518

Late 20s and early 30s is NOT too old for anime/manga/cosplaying? Honestly, late 40s is when I think you should start to slow down or at least cosplay characters that are your age. I am 21 and this thread makes me feel really bad for the people here that don't feel like going anymore solely for the reason that they feel too old. I do however agree with how it sucks that there are so many people who only cosplay for attention.

>> No.6906563

>>6906518
Since you're only 21, it's difficult to explain how you do go through a shift in priorities and focus as you hit your mid-to-late twenties. Well, at least people who don't just stay at home that entire decade living in their parents' basement. You gain responsibilities, sometimes your own family, and cosplaying and the anime con atmosphere begins to appear frivolous and ridiculous. So in that sense, we are "too old." I couldn't have really gotten all this completely until I reached this age.

>> No.6906566

This whole thread gives me more hope for my cosplaying... I'm 24 soon to be 25 but look 21 ISh... But does anyone have any tips to looking young? Mainly I have dark shades under my eyes (didn't sleep a lot from 16-22) or how to get rid of wrinkles? I don't have a lot just a annoying one from smiling a lot on my right cheek. And one fine wrinkle under my left eye. Kind of weird.

>> No.6906606

>>6905897
Good to know there are people out there that understand. I have always like scifi/comics/fantasy, and continue to enjoy them.

>>6905934
This. This so bad. I have wanted to cosplay a couple of characters from the comics, I might do it sometime in the future.

>> No.6906608
File: 131 KB, 467x700, zv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Going to turn 29 this year.

Younger friends asked me earlier this year at a con what age I plan on stopping with cosplaying. Got confused. Growing old means eventually I will be able to cosplay older characters!

>> No.6906724
File: 140 KB, 1054x495, picard 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6906566
>But does anyone have any tips to looking young?

Yeah. Don't do drugs. Like, ever.

Cut soda from your diet (maybe have it twice per month)

Drink Tea and Water.

That's really all there is to it.

>> No.6906743

>>6905933

damn that thing was the most laid back, fun weekend I've had in a long time last year

it's not a traditional anime con, though, not the way the thread is describing them

>> No.6906805 [DELETED] 

>>6906608
>that pic

What an ugly old cunt.

I hope she dies of cancer as soon as possible.

How desperate sell out attention whore do you have to be to dress like your grandsons chinese cartoons.

>> No.6906820

>>6905768
i'm working on Alexiel right now and my gf is doing Rosiel. AS is a huge love/hate manga for me. I remember reading the raws with text translations back in 2002

>> No.6906838
File: 27 KB, 300x284, 1352275529133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6906805
Wahah...ooh nooo

>> No.6906859
File: 103 KB, 307x839, zaphkiel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6906606
That feel when my favorite character was Zaphkiel and I'm a girl and wanted to cosplay him from his last scene. Yeah that wouldn't work...

>> No.6906856

>>6906724
Sir Patrick Stewart. Why are you just so amazing for so many reasons?

>> No.6906914

>>6906724
>Yeah. Don't do drugs. Like, ever.

Except for pot. Occasional pot and drinking will take the edge off and keep you looking young.

>> No.6906919

>>6906838
This is odd. I seem to have some bug in 4chan that causes me to prevent from seeing your post you're replying to.

I had to look it up on the archives. In case anyone else has this weird bug:

">>6906608
>that pic

What an ugly old cunt.

I hope she dies of cancer as soon as possible.

How desperate sell out attention whore do you have to be to dress like your grandsons chinese cartoons. "

>> No.6906953

I remember back in 1998-1999 when Japantown in SF was this weird ghost town where old ladies hung out. The Kinokuniya was tiny and there was that mega overpriced CD shop, and that was about it. There was no arcade, no "culture" shops, certainly no lolita or j-fashion stores. Times have changed a lot.

>> No.6906969
File: 617 KB, 497x641, Screen shot 2013-05-02 at 4.20.09 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys, guys, remember when you had to order stuff out of the back of Viz magazines?
Shit I feel so old.
I love you guys
I stopped going to cons because they feel so empty now. I remember how happy and kindred everyone used to be, and how excited I'd get when the photos I took at a con got developed.

>> No.6907006

>>6906969
>remember when you had to order stuff out of the back of Viz magazines?

They put those catalog ads in the back of every issue of Ranma 1/2. For some reason they were always fun to read through. Ads were ok in those days so long as they were anime-related.

>> No.6907007

>>6902526

Sailor Jamboree is the only thing I can think of.

>> No.6907019

I used to love the Electric Pikachu Bugaloo comics back when Viz was still putting out their stuff magazine style. I would love to see all of the fanart featured in the back of each issue. There was this one picture of some girl doing a peace sign and it was like the girl who drew it as a Pokemon trainer and I thought it was the best picture ever.

>> No.6907025

>>6907019
I had a teacher back in the first grade who would give those magazines out as a reward if you got so many stickers on your chart thing on the wall for getting As on spelling tests and stuff.
She had those things in bulk and I'm pretty sure most of my class had at least the first three "volumes"

>> No.6907036
File: 29 KB, 410x574, angel-sanc7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

BACK IN MY DAY, WE DIDN'T CARE ABOUT VAMPIRES. NOPE. WE CARED ABOUT ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY:

HOMOSEXUAL ANGELS.

>> No.6907043

>>6907036
AND INCEST.

>> No.6907044

>>6907036
Oh hey thar Rosiel. Did she quit cosplaying or what?

>> No.6907128
File: 13 KB, 288x216, apollo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

o hai guyz!

>> No.6907257

>>6905411
yes yes yes! This sums up my feelings about congoing recently, and is my only major complaint.

I miss the time where people took a cosplay picture, and then you chatted for awhile or you talked with random people in a video room and had a friend for the con. It is what made cons really enjoyable for me, even if I never saw that person again afterwards.

Hell, I miss when people walked around offering strangers pocky or handing out random freebies (from wrapped lollipops/candycanes to home made plushies). It used to feel like a community, and now it just feels like a event.

>> No.6907294

Do people still want old pics? I can post my photos, I have 2005 onward.

>> No.6907307

>>6907036
I had the biggest cosplay crush on her. I met her a few times irl. Super cute and nice in person. Adorable french account. Unf. I miss her cosplaying Rosiel.

>> No.6907310

>>6907044
She still cosplays from time to time, but only 1-2x a year because of work or just lack of interest in the hobby anymore.

>> No.6907313

>>6907294
Yes please

>> No.6907319

I remember doing fansubs with friends on VHS tapes. Having friends in Japan mailing us VHS tv recordings and in trade we'd send them US cartoons.

I remember when dubbing wasn't as common unless it was a big title and Pioneer typically did a bang up job for it. Tenchi Muyo! with even the songs professionally reproduced into English by bringing over the Japanese production crew to record an album.

I remember going to SDCC, AX, Project A-Kon, and AWA every year. The weren't huge, but they were fun. Ok, SDCC was quite big but it was tiny compared to today.

Importing video games and consoles to play the latest games because you didn't know if it would get a US release.

>> No.6907343
File: 27 KB, 444x301, dance2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907313
This is Anime North 2005. My older pictures were taken with a pretty shitty camera, and were scanned in.

Dances haven't changed much

>> No.6907350
File: 18 KB, 290x440, domo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Domokun was also very popular

>> No.6907348
File: 27 KB, 445x295, dance4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bunny / cat / animal ears were hugely popular

>> No.6907352
File: 24 KB, 291x444, chocobo1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was extremely impressive, especially for it's time

>> No.6907360
File: 22 KB, 281x447, tshirtninja.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There was always a t-shirt ninja. I don't think I've seen a t-shirt ninja in recent years, they must have gotten better at hiding

>> No.6907358
File: 28 KB, 442x289, triguncat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Even in 2005, having a quality wig wasn't all to common, a lot of people had party wigs (such as this Chrono). From what I remember, wigs were just starting to get common, and they really took off around 2007-ish

>> No.6907359

32 here. I lost interest in anime/japanese fandom years ago. Only still go to cons to take photos/videos of hot cosplayers. Come at me.

>> No.6907365
File: 20 KB, 291x447, link.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That was a crowded dealer's room

>> No.6907370
File: 28 KB, 384x512, 2005AN33.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907369
File: 25 KB, 289x435, ban.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Signs also used to be more common. I think a lot of cons have some form of restriction on signs now?

>> No.6907372
File: 23 KB, 292x447, ahmygoddess.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can really see the quality different in costumes then vs. now. The bar has definitely been raised. You can't get away with flip flops + no wig + satin now.

>> No.6907373
File: 32 KB, 437x299, dbgt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907376

>>6907319
>Importing video games and consoles to play the latest games because you didn't know if it would get a US release.

Oh man. I'm also 34 and I remember having to do all kinds of shit to get a Japanese game to play on a PSX. Shit had to be modded I think and even then you might have to put in a legit game and then open the tray and put in the japanese or copy of the japanese game.

It's how I got to play Sailor Moon for PSX. Man it was hard to get it stateside and then borrow a modded PS. I was so glad to have it.

Then we got emulators when I was in college. Man was that a godsend if you wanted to play imports.

>> No.6907379
File: 27 KB, 442x286, inu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907377
File: 23 KB, 443x286, group.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907378
File: 305 KB, 1287x919, sailormoon_20061105_183744.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6907376
meant to post this. Game wasn't awesome but damn if we weren't all hyped up on that CGI opening.

>> No.6907383
File: 20 KB, 442x289, dance1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907381
File: 21 KB, 294x447, negima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907386
File: 20 KB, 282x404, AN06024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is 2006 now

>> No.6907387
File: 22 KB, 275x445, AN0605.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907388
File: 28 KB, 290x446, AN0602.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This site has an index of cosplay photos, going back to the 1990s. If you are looking for a nostalgia bomb of a con you attended, this is the site to look at:
http://www.nyx.net/~wsantoso/cosplay.html

>> No.6907389
File: 19 KB, 275x422, AN0608.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When the V mask was actually used for costumes and not "anon"

>> No.6907393
File: 28 KB, 439x275, AN0611.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907397
File: 20 KB, 255x378, AN06022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907411
File: 54 KB, 452x604, 198603_4699149803_9296_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MTAC 2007. Wigs are definitely more popular, but this is also when L boomed in popularity and "closet cosplays" were debated. "You need to make your costume" "simple looking costumes are the hardest, you need to put in 200% effort!" were common debates online.

>> No.6907413
File: 47 KB, 452x604, 196951_4699169803_601_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

With wigs becoming more common, so was wig styling

>> No.6907416
File: 97 KB, 604x452, 189785_4699179803_1225_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I might need to clarify that this is still toronto, MTAC is March Toronto Anime Con.

This is what most vendors used to sell. It's pretty rare to see booths with just manga now.

>> No.6907421
File: 74 KB, 452x604, 198923_4699189803_1922_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907418
File: 79 KB, 604x452, 190245_4699184803_1550_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can also weeaboo up your room with posters!

>> No.6907422
File: 54 KB, 452x604, 190437_4699209803_9690_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907424
File: 57 KB, 604x452, 198451_4699194803_2270_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907427
File: 57 KB, 604x452, 183741_4699289803_9557_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907426
File: 60 KB, 604x452, 189305_4699254803_7051_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907429
File: 43 KB, 604x452, 189613_4699279803_8792_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907431
File: 44 KB, 452x604, 196183_4699294803_9902_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907433
File: 53 KB, 604x452, 197911_4699339803_7037_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6907432
File: 60 KB, 604x452, 197515_4699314803_5371_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

damn I love their wigs.

>> No.6907435
File: 39 KB, 604x452, 189536_4699404803_2664_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

last one for now

>> No.6907447

>>6907432
this is awesome!! I love that they Goku had fake ears

>> No.6907521

>>6907128
Apollo Smile was the biggest weeb in the universe.

>> No.6907574

>>6907521
No one will ever out "cute girl wants fame/attention" Apollo Smile. And the scene was so small it *actually worked*. She actually used to host stuff on TV and be a big guest at cons and stuff just for being the "live-action anime girl." That shit was so weird.

>> No.6907597
File: 54 KB, 248x257, 1345169514719.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WELP, since we're all here...

Anyone interested in possibly arranging some sort of meet-up at AX or Otakon? We don't have to get super organized and plan day events or all move somewhere - just hanging out could be cool.

>> No.6907628

>>6907597
ax what day

>> No.6907672

if you have over 25 and no Japanese yet you still visit weeaboo boards other than /jp/ then you're pretty much retarded.

>> No.6907914

>>6907376
It really was. Some of the game cheaters could be used for something like the PS or Saturn, but a NES needed modding for the cartridge change. Same for the N64, iirc.

>> No.6907999

>>6907672
RIP, grammar.

>> No.6908137

>>6905301
Dude, like, I still use them to find some rare pictures and gifs and midi files as well as Game Genie cheats for my SNES emulator!

The first Angelfire site I was one was like a Sailor Venus tribute page, complete with a forum and everything!

Please, tell me more!

>> No.6908282

>>6907574
Didn't she get to be the voice of Ulalala from Space Channel 5?

>> No.6908591

>>6908282
Plus a few small anime roles through Central Park Media.

>> No.6909114

>>6907628
shit son, I dunno. I'm open.

>> No.6909125

>>6907597
Sorry, I'm SE. If anyone is doing Dragon*con I'm game.

>> No.6909133

>>6907310
Sounds like most of us. I happened upon her cosplay.com profile when looking to see if she was still cosplaying and saw she's an engineer and a PhD student. Yeah that's pretty busy. Pshaw being a mature and competent adult.

>> No.6909390

>>6909133
i definitely miss seeing Rosiel around cons. I have a job in marketing now, so i get days off and work on stuff then. I mean,i just love the hobby too much to leave it right now. Plus, my life of 'to do' cosplays keeps growing and growing

>> No.6909417
File: 166 KB, 640x960, Yukino-Blue dress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm 32 and have 3 kids. The main reason I do have the ability to continue cosplay at this stage is because I don't look my age and I have been able to stay slim even after kids.
I was 19 at my first con, in a hand sewn Sailor Moon cosplay. It was a very small convention the first in Australia that was being held at my home University. Being surrounded by like minded people who loved the same things I did was enlightening, and I didn't feel the odd one out anymore. I left the con scene to have 2 of my children and raised them and for awhile it was great, but after a few years I really felt the need to attend again, I was surprised at how much the convention had grown. I tried once my eldest son was old enough to speak to get him into a cosplay (Hunny-chan), however he screamed at me when I put a wig on him and I never tried again. I didn't think I needed my boys to cosplay with me if they didn't want to. They are 10 and 11 now and I have a 3 year old daughter, and I have been sewing, crafting and cosplaying for years around them. They think it's great they have a mother who is so different from other mums, I know how to play console games with them and I also play my own favorites which they can spend hours on weekends watching me play. My boys are looking forward to their first cosplay which I am starting for them this year to go to their first real con next year. I'm glad I waited for them to choose their own path into cosplay and I am thankful it doesn't embarrass them to have a mum who cosplays. This generation is so different from the one I grew up with, to which I am grateful, because it means I can continue while I am still able to and the progress to teaching my kids the skills I have picked up, to aid them if they need it. Cosplay is a big part of why I love conventions. I love anime for obvious reasons and my children already have their favorite anime and games as well. The friends I have gained doing this, I want that for my kids. Pic is me this year.

>> No.6909434

>>6909417
>my children already have their favorite anime
That's cute! What are some of their favorites?

>> No.6909445

>>6909417
MILF alert!
No seriously you're gorgeous and your kids are lucky to have such an awesome mom.

>> No.6909454

>>6909434
Naruto, Bleach, and One piece are long standing favorites mainly I think because they are still airing.
They really liked Hack//:Sign, Avatar, Full metal alchemist, and they have started Fairy tail. I have been slowly collecting each series for them .

>> No.6909469

>>6909445
Thank you! I think they like the novelty atm, hopefully this way of think continues. I show up to the school limping from the previous weekends convention, I also showed up one Monday after I did a cosplay that required me to have a very dark tan, that raised a few eyebrows. My boys are blessings, I wouldn't be able to do this without them, they are always supporting me and protecting my cosplays from their little curious sister.

>> No.6909499

>>6907597
If you want to organize it then I'm down!

>> No.6909510

>>6909445
She kinda has a manface, but I guess thats what you like huh

>> No.6909839

>>6909125
>If anyone is doing Dragon*con I'm game.

I'm doing Dragon. I'm SE too. I bet we know each other from way back.

>> No.6909849
File: 13 KB, 180x181, 180px-Sms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Back when we were all on AOL 3.0 I used to run a Sailor Moon Midi mailing list.

I would give the name, the lyrics, translation, the singer, where it appeared in show, and my thoughts on it.Then I would attach the midi for download.

I think at its peak it had like 60 or something members. It was a glorious time of spreading all the knowledge you could get you hands on.

Anyone remember the Sailor moon chat room in AOL? All the anime fans went there to discuss any anime and sometimes someone would launch the interactive chat game (Sailor Moon Supreme) where you could pick a senshi and then type out commands to fight the in game monster that actually had hit points.

>> No.6909868

>>6909469
>My boys are blessings, I wouldn't be able to do this without them, they are always supporting me and protecting my cosplays from their little curious sister.

....I want kids so much : /

>> No.6910012

28 year old here.

My first con was actually at Big Apple Anime Fest - I was one of their volunteers, actually!

And does anyone remember WebTV? I used to chat in their #Anime chat room for hours - it was mostly arguments about DBZ or Gundam Wing when people weren't awkwardly hitting on each other (and it was hilarious either way).

The scene is certainly different then what I remember when I got into this hobby. Even the most intense, passionate Gundam Wing fangirl of the day seems quaint and tame by today's fandoms, for one thing.

I'm not sure how much of this is me shaking my cane at the youngins, but it's disappointing to see how disrespectful a lot of congoers/cosplayers/staff members are to one another. Sure, there was always drama (it's bound to happen), but it seems like every year its gotten worse. And the fandoms themselves are no better at times.

I stick around in the whole shebang because I've met some wonderful people, and I do still have some interest in cosplay and the like. I love seeing cosplays of fandoms/characters I recognize. I like bumping into fans that are my age/around that and discussing older fandoms. And I'm big on discussing meta, and finding fans (usually older ones) who enjoy having silly conversations like that really keep me going.
But watching drama and butthurt from the sidelines for so long leaves me wondering why I haven't moved on, sometimes.

>> No.6910016

So, some of you people are over 30 years old and still dress up as cartoons?

>> No.6910034

>>6909849
I was a lil too young to remember Sailor Moon AOL fansites but I do remember getting Sailor Moon midis from other websites. I wonder if I gotten yours through another website.

Did you produced your own midi arranements as well or just soley shared other people works?

>> No.6910046

>>6905186
Actually, women hate having sex with douchebags, and it's not their fault they have it.

Explanation:
http://www.cracked.com/video_18585_inside-head-female-being-hit-by-douche.html

>> No.6910047

>>6910016
Get da fuck back to /sp/

>> No.6910104

>>6910012
I am going to be 28 this year and my first con was Big Apple Anime Fest as well! That's so freaky!! I wonder if i bumped into you at all? I was wearing a (ohgodsobad) Gardenia Mana cosplay from the band Malice mizer.

I had such an amazing time at that con. The highlight was definitely all the amazing people. Getting some free donuts from a Vash cosplayer. And seeing the Escaflowne movie on a huge screen with a bunch of other fans.

>> No.6910107

>>6905766
Yes.

Kpop music and cosplay at anime cons really makes no sense, and it kind of makes me rage.

>> No.6910110

>>6910046
This summed up things so well.

>> No.6910122

>>6910104
Ha, small world! I worked at the registration booth downstairs, so it's a likely possibility. There were a lot of Jpop cosplayers that year too, IIRC.

That con was definitely a lot of fun, and I got quite a bit of work experience out of it. Watching Escaflowne like that was quite the rush!

Quick story: I bumped into an Alex (from Lunar: SSSC) cosplayer while I was at the registration booth. He played his ocarina for me shyly before running off. I was... jesus, 16? 17? at the time, and I managed to keep my inner fangirl in check, somehow.

(I can also speak for some lack of professionalism on the part of some of the guests, but overall, the experience was a positive one)

>> No.6910138

>>6901404
This. I'm 22, been around for a while but only got into cosplaying when I realised it was an outlet for all the sewing I was doing for nothing special but instead was a way to get my work judged on its own merits. I do cosplay from series I've seen, but not necessarily my favourite characters - rather, the ones I think I can pull off best with my body type, AND that I can sew well and look damn impressive doing.

I think there's a lot of misplaced ideas about cosplayers and exactly *who* it is they're cosplaying for. I don't give a shit what the average congoer thinks of my cosplay, really - it's nice if they like it but if they sneer and go "what the fuck series is THAT from" I'm not too put out. I think that is a frustration a lot of you oldies are sharing - the average congoer, as the hobby has expanded, has become more of a young, rude, douchebag, and therefore I don't care about their opinion. I cosplay for the judges, because they're the ones who are going to see the quality of my stitching, or notice the embroidery I nearly bled onto, or the fucking blind hem I sewed up by hand because my machine broke two days before the con.

There's precious few places for good sewing skills to be recognised, appreciated, or critiqued outside of industry. That's what I cosplay for - even though I am a casual anime fan, and I wish that less of us would be put down for that. We're not cosplaying for you, although it does make me very happy if in pursuit of my goals I make some other fan's eyes light up when they see their fave on the con floor.

>> No.6910239

>>6909839
Possibly, though this is my first D*c. I'm a Texas con hopper.

>> No.6910264

>>6905411
>It's hilarious how when we grew up it was 'don't talk to people online because stranger danger, but con friends are cool!' and now it's 'let me tell strsngers online my entire life but people at cons are weird!'
Holy shit truth.

>> No.6910339
File: 926 KB, 500x215, 2352.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6900724
This post got me thinking, where do you guys see the future of anime cons going?

Considering that they're no longer places to get unique merch due to the prevalence of online shopping and considering that they're no longer "the only places" you can watch new anime (thanks to dedicated sub teams and internet streaming).

Are they going to merge with Western fandoms and become more "general geekiness cons"? That seems to be the most likely route...I'd like to hear your thoughts.

>> No.6910760

>>6907574
But at least I never doubted whether or not Apollo Smile actually knew her shit and loved anime.

>> No.6910797

>>6910339
This has already happened, IMO. I can't tell you how many times I've seen non-anime at anime cons over the last few years. There was a big Doctor Who group at Katsucon just this year, and a Once Upon a Time group, and some Supernatural cosplayers. I remember there was a small group a few years ago bitching about how that stuff didn't belong at "their" anime cons, but I say fuck that attitude. We're all nerds, and I think people can cosplay whatever they want at a con they're paying money to attend. These things aren't cheap anymore, either. As long as I'm not being hurt or bothered, I don't care what people do.

>> No.6910803

>>6909849
>AOL mailing lists

oh man, I had one and followed dozens. The way I got into lolita was a Jrock mailing list that featured Malice Mizer back in like '98

>> No.6910817
File: 226 KB, 1000x704, otakon2000_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I shared these before, but here's a few shots of Otakon 2000, my first convention. I'll be 28 later this year.

Knights of Ramune & 40 Fire group

>> No.6910820
File: 227 KB, 1000x710, otakon2000_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6910817
Malice Mizer

I believe that's Yaya on the left

>> No.6910824
File: 212 KB, 1000x704, otakon2000_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6910820
Miaka and Yui from Fushigi Yugi and Valgarv(sp?) from Slayers

>> No.6910829
File: 127 KB, 800x584, otakon2000_5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6910826

>> No.6910826
File: 176 KB, 995x647, otakon2000_4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6910824
Gundam Wing

>> No.6910831
File: 127 KB, 800x570, otakon2000_6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6910829
I have more from Otakon 2000 and some from Anime North 2001 I'll dig up later

>> No.6910914

>>6910826
Is that Trowa Eurobeat King?

>> No.6910920

>>6910914
I think so

>> No.6911114

>>6910831
2000 was a dark time apparently.

>> No.6911237
File: 72 KB, 800x564, 044643-R1-26.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6909499
>>6907597
I'm new to AX this year, so I can't really make too many calls, but for anyone attending Otakon, I think a cool place to get together would be the outdoor balcony out on the 3rd (? that place is a fucking maze) floor. Plenty of space, and the general ruckus of the con doesn't really reach there. Especially if it's in the evening when the weather is nicer.

Pic is one of the oldest cosplay pics I have - don't have anything from Otakon 01, so here's 02.

>> No.6911266

>>6911114

Nah, just low light in hotels + Everyone used disposable cameras as the "Go-To" way to take con pictures. lol.

Maybe 1 in 30 people had a nice camera.

>> No.6911372

>>6911266
Disposable FILM cameras, no less. I was using those even up to 2007/8 because digitals of decent quality were stll expensive. Dose memories of crappy flash and hand-cranking the film to the next exposure.

>> No.6911492
File: 12 KB, 600x150, audio_top.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6910034
>Did you produced your own midi arrangements as well or just solely shared other people works?

I only shared other people's stuff. I was far too young to have had any equipment or programs to do it with. My musical training hadn't even started yet.

Most of the ones I had were BomiLee. Apparently Rini's Sailor Moon midi room is still around!

>> No.6911592

>>6911114
I took those pictures on a disposable camera and had to scan them. A lot of older con pics look like shit because not everyone had digital cameras yet.

>> No.6911646

>>6910797
>small group a few years ago bitching about how that stuff didn't belong at "their" anime cons

I'm sure people thought the same thing at scifi cons before anime had their own.

>> No.6911671

>>6910797
Well yeah, but I mean...where do they go now?

It seems like without the cosplay aspect and celebrity guests, there's no reason to go to an anime specific con.

>> No.6911676

>>6902586

When I watched that, I thought it was really fucking boring, but then again I haven't been keeping up with newer fantasy anime, which may very well be hyperactive and retarded.

>> No.6911744

Thanks to archive.org, reocities, and others, many geocities anime pages which would have been lost to posterity have been preserved after the shutdown by Yahoo.

>> No.6911760

33 years old, here. I have been into anime long enough to have bought some of my first videos new on laserdisc in 1997 (Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, Arcadia of My Youth, etc.). Watching Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival on TBS was amazing in the 90s, and a weird UHF channel broadcast a strange satellite channel called "Network One" which had a "Japanimation" block which showed: Golgo 13, Dirty Pair (Nolandia and Eden), Lupin (Mamo and Cagliostro), Fist of the Northstar movie, Zillion, and loads more .

Good times, for sure.

I never had a chance to make it to any cons in the day (live in the middle of nowhere), but a con catering to the classic anime fan demographic would be cool.

>> No.6911949

>>6907597
dood, i'm totally down, and no wesboro, but find Jesus, i'll probably be in my DJ Jesus or another iteration during the first cgl meetup...
actually, most of the peeps that show up to the cgl meet up are less 'tarded than the average fan, so don't be shy...
lurking most of this thread, i'd had flashbacks like mad, and i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who remembers that it used to be about the camaderie between weirdos as opposed to "OHMAGWRD, look at me!", gnome saiyan?

>> No.6911953

>>6910016
bajale el volumen, guey, no seas tan naco, se que no eres tan pendejo, aunque sea el fundillo del internet, nadien aqui se pone al tu por tu...
si vas a expo, hay muchas chicas, pero no les digas que te la jalas a sus fotos, no nos pongas en mal...

>> No.6911972

>>6911760
dood, urusei 2 was as much of a trip then as it is now, especially with all these games and anime lately that have started to touch or full out delve into the concepts... way ahead of its time, mang... i'm 31 and remember renting it from a library on vhs and having my mind blown... and Queen Bee was a classy OVA that you could point to the naysayers and go, "yes, that's what anime can be, a step away from your ordinary shoot 'em up story, but artful and intricate without being pretentious"...
and don't get me started on hokuto no ken...

>> No.6912299

>>6911671
Exactly, I foresee the end of anime cons in the near future. Or they will go back to being smaller and younger kids will still go. Any that wish to survive will need to embrace other genres. I couldn't give two shits about most anime celebrity guests. I am a seiyuu nerd from way back and I've been fortunate to meet several of my favorite Japanese voice actors...but you hardly see anyone of that caliber anymore. It's all Vic Mignononono and dub actors. Which, I guess they have their own fanbases, but not this guy. I hate dubs. No, the anime-only con is on its way out.

>> No.6912528

>>6912299
>It's all Vic Mignononono

I lawl'd.

But honestly, if they were going to get dub actors, I'd like to see them get some classic ones. Like Matt K Miller or the Tenchi Cast.

And yeah, anime conventions as they are now are gonna die out, mostly due to the current majority of the fanbase not caring about anime as an artform. I'd actually prefer if anime cons went back to being smaller.

>> No.6913015

>>6911676
I used to think gundam was really boring, but I actually find some titles to be really good. I liked the original series, war in the pocket, and 08th MS team. Stardust memory was okay, too.

Taste just change over time, I guess.

>> No.6913920

>>6911744
>Thanks to archive.org, reocities, and others, many geocities anime pages which would have been lost to posterity have been preserved after the shutdown by Yahoo.

Yeah I missed my old cosplay site and I love that it was preserved. I also use the wayback machine to look at others people's old cosplay pages too.

>> No.6914231

>>6906724
And don't forget exercise and not eating a bunch of shit.
Also, take good care of your skin. Wear sunscreen every time you go outside and exfoliate once a week and moisturize before bedtime to keep youthful looking skin.
I use a night cream with retinol and my skin has never felt or looked nicer.

>> No.6914247

>>6907358
Oh man, I've cosplayed Chrono around this time and it was impossible to find a short wig for the base and extensions that actually matched.
Even sharpie dyeing it didn't help..
Ahh those were the days.

>> No.6915532

>>6907597
AX old fogey porchlight shotgun shakin' meet up bumpity...

>> No.6915786

>>6915532
Again, this is gonna be my first year at AX, so I'm really not qualified to make a call on when/where. if any veterans want to make a suggestion, I'm all in for it.

>> No.6915857

Reading over this thread again in full and the feels~
>>6907358
Wigs, oh god yes. It was so hard to find wigs. I'd have to go to a costume/dance shop to find any if it wasn't halloween time. Most of the time, I used my own hair. Then Katie Bair came along and... HOLY SHIT YOU CAN DO WHAT WITH WIGS!?

>>6910339
Yep. Anime in general has been going down in quality over the years. Granted, there are good series that do pop up from time to time, but the western anime industry just isn't what it used to be. Cons are just a mass gathering of fandom, which honestly, I don't mind and kind of enjoy.

>>6905487
Yes.

>> No.6915955

>>6900869 poster here.

This thread. All the feels are in here.

Capcha: Chosen Firolog
Yes capcha, the chosen log of fire.

>> No.6916059

Attending cons since AX 1999
Remembers setting up the VCR timer to record Sailor Moon
When SOS was associated with Sailor Moon and strawberry poptarts
Still have my Tomodachi and VKLL fansubs at my parent's house
Kevin Fuckin' Lillard
Going home after the con and finding all the photos on Fansview admist the rainbow backgrounds
Remembers when there were six Naruto cosplayers at AX02
Geoshitties and everyone making some pretty 'n pretentious "web collective"