[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 141 KB, 640x480, 04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6869856 No.6869856 [Reply] [Original]

Since the photo threads are maxing out so quickly, let's have a Fanime thread for con experiences. One each for good, bad, and ugly.

>> No.6869863

Linecon 2013

>> No.6869867

Circus Tent Alley 2013

>> No.6869877
File: 83 KB, 960x640, 293125_10151696666395407_894378866_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6869863
Sweet lord this. Luckily my friends and I had industry badges but maaaaaan, our hotel room was RIGHT over the reg line. Our mornings were filled with cheering on the masses to never give in.

There wasn't a lot I did at this con outside of hanging with friends and cosplaying (prime source of fun this weekend). I always enjoy the dance circles that happen in the middle of the day. Dances at night were really meh. Only cool things were meeting some peeps at the dance and just havin' some fun with new friends! Hung out in the game room every so often, got some neat stuff at the swap meet and artist alley.

Best part of my weekend was a FFTactics Photoshoot and spending time with one of my friends who I rarely see.

Shout outs to Calyx and Korov for hangin' out this weekend. Y'all were really cool and it was a pleasure meeting and chillin' with you both! Your costumes were great :D Hopefully we can kick it again.

All in all Fanime was alright, but definitely not one for the record books

>> No.6869880

Man, what is it with Fanime masquerade? it just keeps getting worse and worse each year.

>> No.6869883

>>6869863
Looks like I'mma have to leave SoCal at 6 in the morning next year to have any hope of getting my badge in a reasonable amount of time.

>> No.6869886

>>6869880
Masquerade is always terrible at every con. It's like a contest to build a bigger and better train wreck.

>> No.6869891

>>6869880
I eagerly await next year. Maybe the MC will literally take a shit on stage.

>> No.6869893

>>6869886
Not true. There are great masqs out there and are run efficiently enough. This apparently was just not one of them.

>> No.6869964

>>6869893
New guy, entirely new staff, tech failure, schedule changes being made by fanime without telling the people running the event. I personally am not writing off fanime masq yet, but if it's not improving next year I will be sad because it's the only one I can compete in anymore. I know people want to do big fancy performances, but my advice is always to be able to handle all your stuff with your own group, keep your cues simple, and keep a backup copy with your audio with you (or three copies) because inevitably stuff will go wrong and it will fall entirely on your entry to be able to make things work.

>> No.6869970

ROOKIEZ concert was pretty fun. Also they let you take photos and video, probably because they're independent at the moment. Fuck you, record labels.

>> No.6869973

>>6869893
This was straight up the worst management of Fanime masq I've seen in the last 12 years. There were hiccups and stuff before, but this was shit you'd expect from a first year con.

Whose dick did that band suck to get on stage anyway? Sounded like muffled ass for 30 minutes.

>> No.6869974

You guys are making me glad I skipped going to the masq even if it was just for press photos. Hung out with friends instead the whole night.

>> No.6869985

>>6869867
It reminded me of Hangar One in Mountain View.

>> No.6870043

-one huge tripfag drunktank/hugbox
-no guest
-the con is out in the middle of nowhere
-lines
-the convention center is still being under construction

seriously, why do you idiots keep coming to this stupid con? things have been in a downward swing and you guys still say it's the greatest con ever. Seriously, it's an oversized ALA and Fanime shouldn't use that con model for something as big as Fanime.

>> No.6870218

so much of my life wasted in the reg line! on day 0 we waited for an hour before bailing, then got in line day one at 8am and it took 3 hours, and on either day one or two I was with friends getting their badges for another 3 hours. the funniest part is that I really didn't need my badge at all, ha. Fanime itself is horribly organized, but despite that I had an amazing week with old and new friends. def wouldn't buy a badge if I went again.

>> No.6870294

in the game room: there was a card line for iidx with like a million cards but no one around to take their turn so someone stacked up all the inactive cards and set them aside and someone stole the stack and my card. good thing it wasn't anything important lol

quite a few surprisingly good ssfiv ae players from out of town showed up. I remember a really solid fuerte and a good fei. standing up to play on those cabs was awkward

ran into someone I knew and he violently shook my hand and unintentionally aggravated a nerve injury

enjoyed the cosplay immensely. too bad I hate being looked at/attention (doubly so from strangers) or else I'd actually partake. instead, I browse /cgl/

line wasn't so bad, about 3 1/2 hours. it was kind of fun eavesdropping on everyone's conversations and seeing some good cosplay up close

>> No.6870372

>>6870043
>Seriously, it's an oversized ALA

Good analogy bit Fanime is always about the fans.Also I wouldn't call the location middle of nowhere, that's reserved for Sac Anime

>> No.6870549
File: 2.82 MB, 3264x2448, 20130525_145301.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My second time at Fanime (first time cosplaying). Had a lot of fun but I was hoping to meet some other people from around San Jose. Unfortunately everyone I met was from either some other part of California or another part of the country. Worst part about it was having to go to work today.

>> No.6870612

I read in another thread that the higher-ups and staff knew that this year was already a bust so they cut back on a lot of their services and didn't pursue guests that "hard" in order to save money to go all-out next year on FanimeCon's 20th Anniversary and when the construction so that everything can be housed in the convention center proper sans MusicFest and the Masquerade.

Fanime needs to go with the bar code system for reg though. It would speed things up drastically and even though they fucked up this year everyone will come back for their 20th.

>> No.6870630

The line was horrible! Took a little over 3 hrs when I got there Friday morning.

Overall everything was meh. I enjoyed the swap meet and the ROOKiEZ is PUNK'd show though!

I can't wait for next year. Maybe I'll bring a foldable camper chair for line con 2014.

>> No.6870818

I keep seeing all these complaints about the reg lines and I laugh. Panelist registration, chumps. Discounted rate and you get to skip nearly to the front of the line.

>> No.6870821

this was my first fanime....some impressions:

- prereg line was terribad on friday AM (2.5 hours in line)...for a con this big to ONLY have 3-4 booths for prereg is just DUMB. they need to at least double their registration staff for thurs and fri. also, who the FUCK alphabetizes by first name???? my badge ended up in the wrong section and it took the dude like 10 minutes to find it. this is easily the WORST way to arrange badge pickup.

- didn't really have much issue with the construction, other than it being ugly and not really having space for big costumes to be out front and out of the way, yet still visible for photo ops.

- got recognized and stopped for a ton of pics in most of my costumes, even though i mostly do older shit (like relena peacecraft) so that was a nice change from FL.

- /cgl/ meetup was great...met some nice people (i was the one in the zebra print gaga outfit). y'all are some classy folks.

- masq.....WELP. all i will comment on. let's just say i used to compete in FL...fanime was even more of a hot mess than FL cons in this respect. some of the skits were really awesome (utena, madoka, 5star stories, and amazingly enough the hetalia one was really funny) but the MC was painful to sit through.

yep, i'll be back...but mostly because SJ is only an hour from me.

>> No.6870823

Great experience: Getting tickets through Doubletree because i had friends in the know. Best fucking decision ever.

>> No.6870846

What's your take on the decesion to have AA in the tent? Sounds like the big issue was that there was not enough signs pointing toward AA. However there seemed to be a good amount of traffic, lots of space for between tables and walkways and the larger space allowed for more tables to be present.

>> No.6870861

>>6870846
lel issues?

Thursday night I saw into the tent and saw all the tables and chairs and thought "Oh they must have the AA in there."

Y'all should use your brain.

>> No.6870857

>>6870846
It was an easy find and it was a lot more spacious.

>> No.6870858

I quite enjoyed the panels for Takahiro Omori and Yumi Sato since I never expected Brain's Base people to actually be at any US con.

The construction made things a clusterfuck for gatherings. So crowded.

Definitely not the best year for Fanime but I still enjoyed my time with friends and such.

>> No.6870869

>>6869863
>>6869867
>>6869880
I agree with all of these.

My third Fanime and god damn.
The best experience getting to see all my NorCal friends and have a drunken blast with them, and the dances were pretty cool, but for some reason, everyone got extreme headaches...
And then the construction is still a bitch...god knows how long their going to take finishing the thing.
It was Linecon. So much waiting, but that was probably due to the heavy amount of people there. Didn't seem as much as last year though...
Didn't see any crazy people or photographers. Fanime is usually good at this for me though.

My main problem was the Masqu. That was terrible. So incredibly disorganized. The guys working the lights and/or music and/or the performances were high as shit. Although the band that went first wasn't too bad.

tl;dr : great experience, terrible programming

>> No.6870881

>>6870846
It was my first AA so I can't really compare against other years. It was spacious, but the aisles could have been a little smaller so some people didn't get shoved into dark, abandoned corners.

What I don't get is why it was there in the first place. The old AA just had a handful of food stands and apparently was also the dojo. So that leaves me to believe that the entire AA was moved because they couldn't find a better place for those two.

My neighbors were pretty cool except the one monstrously fat chick that kept yelling at passerbys to buy her giant minecraft plushies.

>> No.6870886

>>6870881
Masquerade definitely was a buzzkill but I had a bone to pick with the construction. All the hallways were constricted and even the main entrance outside was very constricted. Combine that with heavy traffic and my bigass costume. Luckily, some rover was always nice enough to help clear the way when I was getting around.

>> No.6870884

Stayed at the Fairmont hte first night. Kids in line seemed to keep forgetting that they were in a hotel and probably shouldn't be cheering like maniacs constantly.

Is it just me or are there always only a couple booths doing reg?

>> No.6870930

>>6870818
Pro reg got you your badge in about a minute flat

One of my friends took 10 minutes and that's because he had to wait for pro reg to open their doors.

>> No.6870938

Anyone here go to the B&W Ball this year?

>> No.6870959
File: 48 KB, 478x640, 81310370.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fanime staff where such assholes. I walk around with a prop forgetting to peacebond that thing cuz well i just wanna gtfo and cosplay. So instead of asking me nicely I got rude staff talking about don't be lying to me taking pictures of my badge, you better go to the peacebonding station now all demanding. Same thing happened to my friend.

Also there taking that cosplay is not consent bullshit too far I'm just being like everyone else at cons and at some point i was poking a few people on the side like a tickle and then i get a hoard of fucking staff members saying someone claimed i grabbed their ass. WOW the nerve of bitches these days. they had no proof of this other than what the fucking girl claimed.

They gave me a hard fucking time getting into the black and white ball cuz of the bottom of my shoes i argued my way in. Then my date comes looking hot as fuck. She couldnt get in cuz of her heels. then i noticed about half of the people who got dressed really nice for it couldnt get in either with thier SUPER STRICT SHOE POLICY. LOTS OF PEOPLE WERE FUCKING PISSED and so was I cuz now my date was cancelled.

The cosplayers, venue, great stuff... Fanime Staff however, FUCK THEM

>> No.6870964

>>6870959
>pic related

>> No.6870974

>>6870869
completion is slated for Fall 2013 and is currently on track. It is supposed to add another 125,000 sq ft of combined meeting, ballroom, exhibit space to the center's current 425,000. I guess that means AA will be able to return to the center instead of being in South Hall.

To be honest I liked Hall 1 having some tables and a couple of food vendors (one being 24 hour) because it gave more "crash space" for people to use. Also the swap meet but that's only Thurs/Fri.

>> No.6870978

>LineCon 2013
I was probably four hours in the at-con reg line, when my friend's friend called him and said he was coming. We fucked with him saying there was barely any line, just go on ahead man. Of course he eventually did find the line, when one of the rovers informed everyone that there was ANOTHER reg line at the Clockwork Alchemy place. It only took him around 20 minutes to get his badge.

>> No.6870982

>>6870959
What were the shoe rules? I hope they weren't walking into a ball wearing converse.

>> No.6870986
File: 403 KB, 500x235, thumbs up.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maybe I've just become so used to long waits, but the fact that I only had to wait for an hour and a half tops on Saturday morning was a blessing to me after having to wait 4+ hours at other cons in the past. I did think the whole "sorted by first name" thing was really silly. Luckily they found my group's badges pretty quickly and we got the heck outta there.

As usual, it was the people that made the con for me. I didn't really meet any seagulls this year but the gatherings were great and I enjoyed just being out and away from home for a weekend, heh heh.

Programming wise, it was... meh? Not bad, but not amazing either. But, you gotta make the most of it and I still had fun regardless. Dealer's room was definitely disappointing this year though, but that's just me.

Overall I give my Fanime experience this year a B-

>> No.6871052
File: 203 KB, 480x320, inthecity.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my one regret of con is that I didn't go to Brony Morning... a daily panel of bronies at 8am...

>>6870978
oh yeah. we realized once we had already gotten our badges that we could have just gotten them at the steampunk part of the con lol

>>6870982
it should be on the website. I didn't go because I didn't bring any dresses that were long enough but I know a bunch of people that got turned away because their nice heels, not stilettos but just typical dressy heels, would "scuff up the floor". for a con that's for fans by fans it seemed way too strict.

>> No.6871060

I'm planning to go next year and the 20th Anni would be my first too. I just hope the rooms don't get sold out like Comic Con crazy this year. I couldn't get a room and that's why I didn't go.

>> No.6871088

>>6870982
>>6871052
http://www.fanime.com/events-and-exhibits/events/black-white-ball

>> No.6871090
File: 83 KB, 960x720, smirnoff ice king.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Good:
Got to party with way too many people
Cosplay came out great
Jojo shots
I became the smirnoff ice king (pic related)
Bad:
Construction sucked
3 hours in prereg line
pushy rude homeless people everywhere
Psycho Donuts is overrated
Ugly:
Removing pax makeup
have to restock my bar from the start for ax

>> No.6871101

>>6871060
Fanime: 22k (approximate)
SDCC: 130k

You're comparing a bicycle with a formula 1 car. You can still get hotels for SDCC, actually. Mission Valley (Hotel Circle) and take the shuttle to the Convention Center.

>> No.6871197

>>6871090
Which of the things from Psycho Donuts did you end up trying? They seem kind of hit or miss, most of them are average but a few are good.

I have to admit the specials they had in the food court could definitely be described as overrated, but some of their standards were nice. My friend and I woke up at ass-o-clock to get to their main location at opening while they still had the good stuff on day 2, and managed to get in there before the lunch rush on the last day. Of the ones I tried:

Fung Shui: oddly refreshing for a donut. I'm not a big fan of green tea but didn't have an issue with it here. Sweet, but not too sweet.
Headbanger: standard jelly donut, nothing special.
Kooky Monster: tasty, but oh my god do I regret it. I don't do well with eating super-sugary foods on an empty stomach, and my stomach hated me for the rest of the day. It was still delicious.
the Jasonut: better than the Headbanger, or at least less common. Not-too-sweet chocolate dough (as opposed to the usual cake chocolate donuts) goes well with the raspberry jam
Raspberry Road Rash: surprisingly sour. My friend didn't like it, but I did.
Straberry Margarita: HEAVEN IN DONUT FORM. I was skeptical about the sound of the Tequila cream, but oh my god this was an excellent donut.

I still have a Dead Elvis sitting in the fridge that I'm honestly frightened of eating, though.

>> No.6871353

Good
- B&W Ball being the same quality as last year
- Jojo Gatherings
- SMT Gahterings went by smoothly
- Awesome guy handing out free soda cupons. That Hotdog joint is LEGIT
- Comedy shows drew huge crowds
- People actually showed up to my panel
- Protesters being moved a block away

Bad
- Long badge wait times
- Losing the sidewalk and main front area
- Scheduals released at the last minute
- Construction all around
- Con felt smaller due to the major areas being sectioned off

Ugly
- People getting robbed
- Bags reported missing from our gatherings
- More drunks than usual on Sunday

>> No.6871368
File: 1.20 MB, 1952x2592, IMAG0440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was my first Fanime in San Jose. Everything was great besides the 4-5 hour wait in line to get my badge on Friday. but other then that it was great

>> No.6871375

>>6871353
The increase of Sunday drunks was attributed to Kings/Sharks Game 6 in town

>> No.6871376

>>6871197
I had a Marla which is a maple bar with crushed Butterfinger candy bar and peanut butter on top with a bit of sugar too.

I couldn't track down a Totoro (convention special). I only know of its existence because one of my friends got one. It was apparently sweet as hell.

>> No.6871390

>>6871197
i got to try the butterfinger crusted one >>6871376
mentioned, and a nutella the hun. was not really that impressed with either...somewhat bland and a bit stale tasting. certainly didn't unseat voodoo donut as my favorite donut shop ever.

i really wanted to try the maple bacon donut....has anyone tried that one or the key lime pie?

>> No.6871400

Does anyone have a list or photos of the winners from the Masq?

>> No.6871402

>>6871390
>>6871197
A lot of their donuts are overly sweet. Also, the cereal is often stale on the ones with it on top. I prefer a simpler donut rather than a flavor clusterfuck.

>> No.6871410

>>6871101

To be fair, hotels sold out ridiculously fast this year, at least for an event like Fanime. I don't think anon was actually comparing the cons.

>> No.6871413

>>6870043
>no guest
You mean none you care about. Because I was pretty jazzed with Sato and Omori, and ROOKiEZ was awesome too.
>middle of nowhere
San Jose is like the third largest city in California.
>Convention center is still under construction
Because that's totally Fanime's doing and their fault. It sucked balls for everyone, I doubt the staff were gleeful that the construction caused problems for everyone, it probably caused more problems for them.

I didn't lines weren't bad at all… except for reg, which was a huge clusterfuck. Honestly, it wasn't a great Fanime, but I thought it was still pretty good… especially if you count the huge wrench in the works that was the construction.

>> No.6871417

>>6871400
I'm interested in this as well.

>> No.6871434

>>6871052
I heard that one reason is that it's not their dance floor, it's… rented or the hotel's or something, so it's not really the con's rules, it's the dance floor owner's rules or something. This is just hearsay though.

>> No.6871501

There was way to many nerds with power working the con this year.

I was fucking badge checked then ID carded to go into the rave. What the actual fuck.

No fucking adult wants to deal with a ton of teenagers tripping with a fake sense of power.

Lines and other shit sucked again this year, they really have to get that shit together next year.

Aside form all the other bad shit of actual con fuckups. I spent a good 80% of the time drunk as fuck so that was magic.

Magic drunk con.

>> No.6871552

THE GOOD:
>30 minutes to get my badge because I was staffing
>The candy machines in the game room
>How relaxed my shift was
>SO MUCH GOOD STUFF AT THE SWAP MEET. I spent about $100 on stuff.

THE BAD:
>2 AM to 10 AM Stage Zero shift allowed for no fun during the day because I had to sleep
>Homestucks and Bronies outnumbered everyone else in cosplays 2:1 easily
>Consoles and Computers in the game room were ALWAYS full

THE UGLY:
>Brony Morning. I'm sorry, but that isn't anime. It's not even Japanese. And due to its popularity, it is most likely coming back. If it wasn't during my shift, I might be better with it, but sitting through that hour every morning was just... bad. Miss Shift Lead, if you read this, I have nothing against you or your shift (you are absolutely wonderful and I'd love to come back), but it was pretty bad.

>> No.6871553

>>6871413
Fanime made the best out of a bad situation. By dividing the con, AA and registration they really took a lot of pressure from the con center. In addition they were wise enough to tape walk ways on the carpet and made sure attendees kept moving. I find it funny that despite all that happened, 2013 Fanime was the easiest con to navigate

>> No.6871568

Anyone else that there were a TON of Stein Gate cosplayers despite the fact there was no gathering

>> No.6871569

Skipped the B&W Ball because the dresscode seemed too strict and I didn't want to have to deal with that BS. Fancy dress I brought for it went right above my knees and according to the rules posted in the schedule I wouldn't have been allowed in.

AA over in the circus tent was good and bad. Seemed like a pain to walk all the way over there but once I got in I did appreciate that there was enough space to actually walk around the booths this year, and there didn't seem to be a lack of traffic in there. Also seemed like more booths than last year?

Took one look at that reg line and booked it over to the Doubletree to pick up my badge over there instead. Took 10 minutes to get there, 5 minutes to get my badge and 10 minutes to get back. Felt bad for friends that insisted on staying on waiting in a 6 hour line at Fairmont instead.

Skipped the Masquerade because it's always awful- 10 shitty skits for every 1 decent one, starts late, awkward boring breaks in the middle of the show. No thanks.

Overall had a good time but that was mostly because of the friends I was hanging with. Overall typical Fanime.

>> No.6871563

The good: I didn't disgrace myself with a shitty last second cosplay. Other than that, it was my first con in a long time and everyone was super duper friendly.

The okay: I asked to take pictures with a bunch of cosplayers, which is sorta weird?

The bad and COMLETELY ugly: One of the shots I maximum hover handed a moon priestess from Avatar and had to run back to ask her for another photo because Im so beta.

Now I'm just waiting for a new suggestions thread to post in for cosplay ideas next year!

>> No.6871574

>>6870043
You are a faggot, take your wet blanket to a different con.

>> No.6871584

>>6871552
I actually didn't notice that many ponies... Homestucks yes

>> No.6871591

>>6871434
They should just say no heels in the rules then. The rules said heels over 4 inches and stilettos were not allowed. If people were still gettings turned away for their heels that were within those rules then that is bullshit.

>> No.6871602

>>6871584
Maybe I'm a bit biased about it because of my shift. But jesus WHY SO MANY HOMESTUCKS?

>> No.6871606

>The good
Lots of great pictures of my cosplays and other cosplays
Decent party scene after hours
Philz coffee and Pita Pit
Made some new friends
Offsite artists alley (I really liked how much more space there was, even if it was a block and half away)

The bad:
only two room keys for eight people
Less cosplay than usual (or so it felt)

The ugly:
after hours creepers who probably weren't even con goers, just random idiots off the street who wandered in
Dat reg line (although thankfully it only took me 3 hours to get through on Friday)

>> No.6871608

>>6871563
Oh and I got to meet Edmund motherfucking Mcmillen. That guy is so cool. I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned him yet.

>> No.6871621

>>6871606
What days did you go? I felt that Saturday had way more cosplayers than Sunday for sure. And Monday was basically empty, since people have work and the shops close at 3.

>> No.6871623

When did so many break-dancers start going to anime conventions?
They were all pretty cool.

>> No.6871633

>>6871584

This, I saw very few ponies. Or perhaps I missed the ones that weren't done as well, as far as an obvious pony cosplay goes(good wig, ears, mark, correct colors), I only saw a couple.

Homestucks everywhere you looked.

>> No.6871641

>>6871434
>>6871591
Heels are allowed, but the heel point cannot be too small or it might damage the floor. The problem with this is that some dance shoes have a too-small heel and I think those were the ones that were unfortunately turned away. The floor is something that will be used for many years, so it's in Fanime's interest to keep it in good shape, especially with the floor vendor.

>> No.6871716

>>6871606
>after hours creepers who probably weren't even con goers, just random idiots off the street who wandered in
I know what you mean
Me and my friends were playing cards and some random guy came over and just stared for like 15 minutes straight at the girls

>> No.6871748

>>6871623
There are huge break dance sessions at almost every con. I've seen them at Fanime, AX and Otakon

>> No.6871763

>>6871641
Don't give me that BS. I was in there after arguing to get in over my shoes. Those shoes were fucking wood just put next to each other. Like home depot shit. They mave have polished the wood but that shit was like wood. nothing expensive about it

>> No.6871770

>>6871763
... You know, if you don't know anything about wood, maybe you shouldn't be talking about it. Because it sounds like you know ziltch about wood.

>> No.6871802

>>6871763
You have no idea how expensive a wooden dance floor is.

>> No.6871803

Day 0 line was horrendous. 8 hours in line. We even had some douchebag cut in front of us because he was escorted by a staff member who I assume he was dating.

>> No.6871834

>>6871763
Go to Home depot. Ask how expensive wood gets.

>> No.6871896

The Good
>Cosplaying for the first time and getting a few pictures
>Hanging out with friends
>All dat art
>Meeting new people
>Handing out chicken nuggets to artists around the artist alley
>New girlfriend

The Bad
>Cosplay breaking randomly on me, safety pins everywhere.
>Holding ridiculous poses for several minutes and straining muscles.
>Lack of any good place with room where everybody walks through for picture hunting.

The Ugly
>Ex-Boyfriend Drama

>> No.6872083

Also, the Voice Acting panel was pretty boring because whats-his-fuck dropped out at the last minute.

>> No.6872115

>>6872083
It was a family emergency or something

>> No.6872158

I was interested at the sight of "Chris Patton Shares Too Much." Pity he wasn't there

>> No.6872331

>>6872115
That's just celebrity-talk for "I don't want to do this but I already signed up for it." 90% of the time when I've heared that excuse, there was at least the mention of a specific scenario or family member. I have heared NOTHING beyond "he had a family emergency".

>> No.6872337

>Good
Hanging out with friends all weekend
Seeing the Kings arrive at the Fairmont and getting to wish Daryll Sutter good luck in the game
All that food (Holy shit San Jose, you guys got some bomb food)

>The Bad
The prices on all the Gunpla

>The Ugly
The five hour ride up and down with a minivan full of seven dudes.

>> No.6872383

>>6871400
>>6871417
All I know is that the Utena skit with the blacked out suits won best in show

>> No.6872410

It was my first fanime sooo:
The good: I have to say I had more fun than at Comic-Con just because of the smaller size made it more personal and accessible.
The bad: The construction did make everything a little more claustrophobic.
The ugly: The masquerade got pretty bad, but I still enjoyed it, probably because I don't have anything else to compare it too.

Were any of you guys at the Berzerk showing on Saturday? It was like riff-tracks in there, everyone cracking jokes

Also did anyone else have a run in with the (obviously) drunk guy on saturday night yelling PIKACHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?

>> No.6872418

>>6872410
Those were three "bad"s you putz.

>> No.6872439

The Good:
- Nostalgia Con 2013
- First fucking con in a while that actually caters more to anime
- Hanging out with people
- Dealer's Hall was pretty decent
- Nice weather for the most part
- Cosplay was pretty good

Bad:
- Fucking line ruined everything. We did about two hours, but we had 1 person at at-con registration that spanned about four to five hours
- Gatherings list pretty much sucked
- I don't even remember going to any
- Masq staff lost my table

Ugly:
- Dat masquerade, everything about it was a hot mess
- My group and I were backstage when the Kyoko from the Madoka skit ran up to Jack and screamed at him about ruining their skit after having worked on it for a year. She went ballistic while the Kyubey was crying really loudly inside her suit

I initially thought that the whole drama in the back was reality show worthy.

>> No.6872446

Good: Food (as always), Sharks fans (I'm Kings fan, but damn Sharks fans are BRO-tiers), Artist Alley people (all of them have been awesome), Press department, Hanging with some friends, Tokusatsu panel was a big success despite the fact that we were shotgun-scheduled for 9pm Sunday.

Bad: Programming department fucked us till the very last (my Tokusatsu panel got delayed for 15 minutes due to tech support coming in late), Artist Alley location was a bit inconvenient and poorly advertised, no one staff at the convention knew what was going on, missing out on Monster Hunting with friends (which I deeply regret for reals)

Ugly: friends telling me about what happened at Masq. Just hearing about the tales made me cringe.

Would I go again? probably. Lot of people were asking me if I'm bringing the panel back for 14, so I can't say no to that. That said, they need to step up next year or they're really gonna suffer the consequence for the next few years after

>> No.6872457

>>6871568
Yeah, I heard there was a Robotics;Notes/Steins;Gate meetup, but I couldn't find anything...

>> No.6872461

>>6872446
I hope you get a better spot for the panel next year, since I missed it this year. I was planning on it, but I didn't want to ditch my friends who going to dinner plus it was like 9:20 and right after the masquerade.

>> No.6872468

Was it just me or was there more Naruto cosplayers this year compared to last year and the year before that?

Obviously not compared to 2006-08 since that's massive.

>> No.6872495

>>6872439
My god, I feel sorry for all the affected people. After the cosplay director resigned last year, I was a bit wary this year. I brought a back up disc with my stuff just in case and good thing I did. It seemed they misplaced the file I sent beforehand for mine too.

>> No.6872501

>>6870959
This. Why were there so many power tripping con staff?! I got so much shit over my shoes at the B&W ball last year too. It was a short heel and this one staff kept yelling at me to get off the dance floor. We went to the ball an hour before closing this year and no one gave a fuck, even when some of us clearly had high stilettos. I guess they were only being asses earlier in the evening.

Also, who was the shrill bitch who was manning the rave line on Sunday? She kept screaming "single file" and took it as a moral offense whenever anyone took a single step to the side. She even told one couple (one was behind the other and putting their arms around the other's neck) that there would be "no hugging, single file only!" Her voice was so annoying and grating.

Also met a guy who got assaulted by staff. Apparently they thought he was badge hopping and when he tried to leave, they grabbed his arm, twisted it, and ripped off the badge from around his neck. Jesus.

The good for me this year was the Brain's Base panel, and surprisingly registration. Everyone who was waiting 4+ hours should have just gone to Clockwork Alchemy. It was literally a walk in, get your badge, and walk out deal. Pretty sweet, even with the distance. Con bus still sucks balls though, so drive instead.

>> No.6872504

>>6872495
They apparently misplaced them for mostly everyone. Someone mentioned that they had everything together the night before, then suddenly poof! And everyone needed their back up discs.

>> No.6872509

>>6872501
Really? I had no bad run ins with the staff. My friend who was carrying a around a bug-ass hammer was approached by one of the staff and they were super nice about getting it peacebonded.

>> No.6872521

>>6872509
I wish I could say the same. Maybe the night staff were more on edge than the day staff. We had some really rude encounters with the staff manning the rave too (shining flashlights into people's eyes, being rudely told "no sleeping" when someone was sitting on a chair and resting on the sidelines, etc). Some staff just seemed like they were looking for trouble to "set straight."

>> No.6872530

>>6872501
Lost and found staff absolutely sucked. They denied having some items that were clearly visible in the room, and even when we described them properly the lady kept scowling at us while admitting that it was ours. It had our names on them too.

There's also one staff member who cosplays as Sebastian, who was pretty rude throughout the con with a few friends and constantly glaring at us whenever we were around the con.

>> No.6872539

>>6872521
I imagine they were more on edge during the night shift, they have to keep a look out for drunks and apparently if you fall asleep, they become liable for your belongings and they can't have that.

>> No.6872548

>>6872539
Probably, I can understand that. Our items got accidentally left backstage during masquerade.

>> No.6872563

>>6872539
I get that there would be more liability involved in the night activities, but seriously the rude attitude was what bothered me about a lot of these interactions. No one deserves to be screamed at, publically humiliated, or physically assaulted, even if the staff were technically in the right for rule enforcement. It was the way it was handled that was uncalled for and unforgiveable (and in the case of the assault, illegal).

>> No.6872596
File: 65 KB, 960x717, 526904_10200497179345077_871639129_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I had lots of fun this year and all, but as others have brought up before, what the hell was up with the power-tripping staff? Especially the peacebonding station, jesus christ. The one guy there was such an ass, and gave me shit for writing "(plastic)" next to "baseball bat" on my sign-in for my prop for my Batter outfit. He got in my face about it saying that it's "his job to know if it's wood or plastic, and I didn't need to tell him", when I was just trying to be helpful and had been very polite. He was the same asshat who roughly jammed on the trigger of my Rubi pistol that went with my Mad Moxxi cosplay It's the trigger from a plastic capgun, and the rest is all cardboard and bondo, but the trigger is not meant to be pulled on hard or the gun will be damaged. (Pic related, the thing couldn't be a real firearm if it tried. Also, that was NOT the bat I tried to bring in, for the record.) Luckily it wasn't, but he was dangerously rough with it and I found that both unprofessional and disrespectful. I've brought much "worse" weapons to WonderCon and Comic Con, where the peacebonders are ex-military or cops, and have only ever had them do a once-over, tell me to be responsible, tag it, and send me on my way.

The volunteer staff of Fanime seriously need to get their shit together.

Did anyone else have an issue with assholish peacebonders?

>> No.6872597

>>6872461
I think it's gradually getting better. 2 years ago, this same panel received Monday 11am time slot. Shotgun'd as it may be, I'd still take Sunday 9pm over Monday 11am.

>> No.6872618

>>6870846
It was my first year also but the South Hall has piss-poor lighting. They didn't even bother cleaning out the AC ducts so it fucked with people's allergies and asthma and at some parts of the hall, dust was being blown onto people's prints. A lot of artists said that they had to wipe off layers of AC dust from their merch every day which fucking sucked. I didn't have that problem because I was by the doors but this meant that if the doors were left open the wind would blow apart my display. It was generally pretty poorly planned although the staff was helpful enough.

>> No.6872623
File: 1.96 MB, 2448x3264, IMG_0025.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6872596
I wasn't there when this happened but my dad went to peacebond my cannon after being told to go by rovers. Their length policy is less than 7 ft. I made it 6'4 to accommodate Sacanime's policy of 6'6 policy. Nowhere near the limit and they (Fanime) tried to ban it, saying it was too big. My dad had to argue and stuck it under a doorframe to prove it's plenty short enough.
lol I would've unleashed hell if my perfectly legal cannon was not allowed.

>> No.6872656

I thought there was a policy with airsoft props that they weren't allowing any. Why am I seeing cosplay with airsoft on the convention grounds?

>> No.6872663

>>6872623
Hey bro, friend of the gold mech you posed with on Saturday here. When I went to get his swords peace-bonded, they insisted on following me down to his suit in the convention hall to photo it. This kind of thing happen to you? Also, we all thought your suit was fucking great.

>> No.6872667

>>6870218
why didn't you just take the shuttle to the double tree? it was a twenty minute wait over there at 11AM on Saturday.

>> No.6872672

>>6872663
No. just the thing I said above. No way in hell was I going to unsuit or walk all the way to the desk in costume just to peacebond the cannon so I had my dad go with it. After that, we were troubled no more.

Thanks, your friend's suit was really cool too. I'm surprised he was able to made those giant shoulders out of foam.

>> No.6872674
File: 290 KB, 960x720, IMG_0258.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>le epic may may
Also fuck korean shit invading a JAPANESE convention. I swear I will make a documentary next year of how fucking obnoxious korean fans are. Don't even get me started on you video game douchbags.

>> No.6872676

>>6872623
surprised peacebonding station didn't have a tape measure if they're going to try to pull shit about length requirements. Guess you guys might have to bring one with you, heh.

>>6872667
Most people didn't know about it.

>> No.6872680

>>6872674
Don't forget the bronies and homestuck.
Fanime is not about anime.

>> No.6872682

>>6872674
that fucking guy in the background

>> No.6872683

>>6872676
Yeah, I should have brought one. Now I know what else to pack in my repair kit.

>> No.6872690

>>6872623
Oh shit you were that gundam?
I hope you made that yourself because it was pretty dam nice.

>> No.6872692

>>6872674
And the Homestucks
And the Bronies

>> No.6872697

>>6872674
DId you see the Bioshock Infinite stall?
I was so fucking disgusted.
Take that shit back to your video game cons or some shit.
Although I make an exception for Japanese games. But fucking Bioshock has no place in fanime.

>> No.6872703

>>6872672
I have no clue how he did it. Lots of support PVC I think.

>> No.6872706

>>6872690
>>6872703
Thanks. Yes I made it all by myself. It is made entirely out of cardboard and fiberglass for the round parts (and a little bit of wood in the backpack). No PVC was used.

>> No.6872708

Good: Seeing the like 5 Fire Emblem cosplayers
Taking a bath at 3 in the morning high as a kite
Meeting my internet pal

Bad: Not actually being that interested in anime and going to an anime convention
Also, people need to stop fucking cosplaying Marth and choose one of the hundred other FE characters

Ugly: Shitty pre reg lines

My first Fanime, would maybe go again.

>> No.6872710

>>6872692
There was a lot of Off running around too. I had to overhear what it was to figure it out. Saw a big gathering of them on Monday and had no idea.

>> No.6872716

>>6872706
You.. you are awesome.

>> No.6872717

>>6872706
How the hell did you support those fuel tanks on your back? Was it the wood portion that did it?

>> No.6872718

>>6872674
The Psy cosplay disgusted me and my friend. We both hate how mindless zonbies the fanbase are. We have a huge grudge against Koreans now ever since our Asian club back in highschool got completely dominated by K-pop shit.

>> No.6872720

>>6872717
Correct.

>> No.6872723

>>6872718
I dont know why, but kpop is really fucking awful and i'm sure even Korean is ashamed of it

>> No.6872725

>>6872723
korea (not koreans, but probably a lot of south koreans are as well)

>> No.6872726

>>6872723
Nah, I know Koreans who like that shit.

>> No.6872730

>>6872618
I must have had a great spot because I didn't find any grime on my table every morning and I have accessories, not prints, that I brought back to the room. Though there was plenty of grime on the floor, but that didn't surprise me. Also I thought the lighting was phenomenal. I had a few pendants I wasn't planning on putting out, but when I brought them out in the South Hall light they looked GORGEOUS and had to set them out.

>> No.6872731

>>6872697
agreed. Japanese games like fire emblem and JRPGS in general are one thing, but what does bioshock have to do with an anime con? it's called FANIME for a reason

>> No.6872739

>>6872708
Also for Good: That one table in the AA with the jellyfish jewelry. That fucking floored me. I decided to get something, but couldn't find the table after that.

>> No.6872745

>>6872731
Fuck I'll take regular console games over all hte western cartoons and movies that have taken over.

And that indie band at masq...I figured there must have been a booking mix up with music fest.

Let me guess. The Trims are the favorite band of the girl that got proposed to?

>> No.6872756

>>6872745
I agree. I'd rather see video game cosplays over Gravity Falls or Sherlock

>> No.6872784

>>6872745
Yeah Wreck-It-Ralph I'll give a pass since it's so heavily based on eastern and western games, but all the British shows, Avengers, ponies and homestucks? Ugh. I got overly butthurt in the pre-Fanime threads where people would shows all their planned cosplays and some had jack shit to do with anime or vidya at all.

Noticed that the Homestucks are kinda on the downswing. Unfortunately I think the smarter fans are avoiding the stigma and passing on HS cosplay all together which gives us a smaller, but more concentrated form of fuckery.

Random lolwut: At the Sunday Fanime Game Show the guy is all "Alright taking contestants who can answer a lot of ANIME trivia, I repeat ANIME trivia" and for his selection round asks the contestants to bet on who can name more Megaman X bosses.

Still I like his show better than Anime Hazard where the guy just has a ton of questions about 80s and 90s anime and berates the contestants and audience for not having the same pathetically deep anime knowledge as him. Enjoy that buddy. Cons are the only place where that knowledge means anything.

>> No.6872788

>>6872718
>Hate a race because of its music.
I'm impressed.

>> No.6872789

>>6872784
Atleast ask seasonal anime questions. Seriously the bare minimum for people attending these cons should be to atleast be watching crunchyroll on a regular basis.

>> No.6872792

>>6872784
Banzai Arcade is the superior Fanime gameshow anyway.

>> No.6872793

>>6872792
Maximum Briefcase Punch

>> No.6872794

Was that indie band ever actually announced by Fanime? Seems like it was a huge surprise to everyone who saw the masq even though they were set to play at least the Monday last week according to the band's facebook page.

>> No.6872795

>>6872792
It's definitely the most fun, but the difficulty dropoff between the similar names questions and the name-that-quote questions is intense.

>> No.6872801

>>6872795
Well as you go up the tiles, they get harder and harder, as the game goes. I've seen the list of questions for all the different categories and some of them are pretty "What color is Pikachu" tier.

It just depends on when you get up there, at least for that version of the game.

>> No.6872802

>>6872793
The audience participation was great, I was one of the dudes taking a victory lap at the end and I could tell the energy was still high even though it was one in the morning.

>> No.6872804

>>6872792
It was pretty fun. My friend did the Mega Man 2 Quickman laser part on his first try during the arcade edition one and then we got all our questions right as a team during the RPG one later that weekend. I wish there were more anime questions, but I guess it comes with the territory for it to be vidya centric. I got so mad when some shitty group didn't get JoJo. Fuck you guys!

>> No.6872814

>>6872804
Sweet lord, sunday night trivia was brutal. But some of those synonymous game titles were horrid. Talking to Johnny the next day was just a hilarious nightmare

>> No.6872816

>>6872814
The dog. The fucking dog.

>> No.6872833

>>6872816
Shit. Does anyone have a link to that song? I need to use it on trick-or-treaters.

>> No.6872935

>>6872802
The energy didn't drop off until Power Rangers started.

And it didn't pick back up until maybe 30 minutes before Brony Morning.

>> No.6872938

>>6872439
wow cosplay is WAY too srs bns apparently for ONE person

>> No.6872944

>>6872938
from the sounds of how the masquerade went, it was *that* bad.

>> No.6872948

>>6871353
Protestors?

>> No.6872955

>>6872676
>>6872683
Bit of a late reply, but when I went to peacebond on Friday they cleared my 8 foot prop without a single hitch. Sounds like you just ran into a dickwad.
I did have rovers running up to check if I had it peacebonded maybe twice an hour though, that got old fast.

>>6872756
At this point I'd almost welcome Naruto.

>> No.6872963

>>6872501
Anon staff here.

Were they rovers or volunteers?

Rovers, volunteers and general staff have no power to do this. Only Wolfgang and the other heads have power to legitimately pull badges, and even that process takes a while compared to just having your badge taken away like that.

I suggest you write about this in the Fanime Forums and suggestions. This is seriously not cool. Please report this and give as many details as possible.

>>6872674
I actually find the K-Pop shoved on Stage Zero inappropriate. Even the Cherry Blossom Festival is pressured by Korean content and it's upsetting many of the Japantown locals.

>> No.6872982

>>6872756
Same!

>> No.6872986

>>6872439

wow, care to elaborate a bit more on the masquerade situation with the crazy Madoka group?

>> No.6872993

>>6872948
Christian nut-jobs that like to camp out every year on the sidewalk holding "Accept Jesus" signs. It's become a bit of an attraction for Fanime attendees. This year however, there was no sidewalk for them to occupy because of the construction.

>> No.6873001

>>6872993
no but there was a guy by the movie theater yelling about Jesus. We must have really pissed him off because my friend (dressed as disco Twilight Sparkle) pranced around while he loudly proclaimed the evils of our generation.

>> No.6873002

>>6872963
>CBF
that was just weird as fuck
especially how they kept dancing to different songs til someone told the sound board to cut the music because they were going on too long. I mean, what the fuck? Bad enough you're doing Korean music but they had a bunch of songs.

>>6872986
it was probably just a sound fuckup and the girls getting mad because they practiced so hard just to have a fuckup by staff.

>> No.6873006

>>6872986
What I have heard from Jack (the coordinator) and the group: ALL the masquerade audio was lost right before the masquerade due to a hard drive failure, so they were working with backups for the show. The audio tech (new to masquerade) somehow managed to play two tracks at once for the Madoka group's skit (also for another group apparently). Madoka group is super upset and go give Jack crap. They were allowed to redo their performance at the end with the audio run correctly.

>> No.6873012

>>6873006
I like how everyone in the audience got pissed about the Hetalia skit, when it was obvious they fucked up on purpose, since you know, all the audio was recorded beforehand

>> No.6873064

Good: Had fun for my first Fanime and con in general

Bad: Awkwardly bought a print from Alex Ahad (artist of Skullgirls), and awkwardly walked away

Ugly: THE FUCKING LINES and all the homestucks everywhere

Couldn't walk 10 feet without seeing a Homestuck cosplay. Next year I'm gonna have to cosplay as something

>> No.6873100

Good: Saw a lot of awesome cosplay, hand fun with my online buddies, and got some cool stuff I would never have been able to get. A great experience for my first con.

Bad: Waiting for elevators, Missed out on getting a shot of an awesome Muromi cosplayer who was at the counter of the Fairmont.

I got a good chuckle out of the people who had a Horo cutout in their window that I could see from my room though.
Ugly: The guys running the TF2 tournament were incompetent and told us the game hadn't started yet, so while we were trying to fix the controls for our team the other side capped the points and we were eliminated just like that. This is on top of the fact that they had no idea how to run a tf2 server in the first place.

>> No.6873229

I was cardboard blitzcrank, it was fun. I read that some of you guys hate the non-anime related stuff, but eh. I had a ton of fun and nobody took it away from it

>> No.6873411

>>6872963
The off-duty SJPD guys acting as security were taking badges away preemptively for a while.

And man oh man, Reg. Did you hear that the head just didn't show up at all on Sunday?

>> No.6873628

>>6872963
Hey there. I know you're an anon staff and I was clearly in the wrong for public intoxication as a minor (I'm 20 if you're curious). But I didn't know that only con heads have the ability to pull badges.

Again, I acknowledge that I broke the rules, but even then, I pretty much went to my room to sober up and called it a day.

If you're still around, I'd like to know the process for badge pulling. I'm not blacklisted, and I don't want to re-hash the issue with con-ops in the event that they might ban me. Although fanime is certainly declining in quality, I love going to meet with friends and I'll definitely hold my liquor much better.

>> No.6873727

The Good
None

The Bad
Kigurumi masks

The Ugly
THOSE GODDAMNED KIGURUMI MASKS

>> No.6873744

Literally the only good things at this Masq were Sailor Avengers, the Nintendo Burlesque, and the Zeldamen.

Also, I found two Yuukas and a really awesome Nitori who weren't at the Touhou gathering, argh why

>> No.6873750

>>6872816
Jesus fuck, the dog was legit 2spooky. I actually got super scared when they demonstrated the final attack.

>> No.6873753

>>6872794
No. Then again, even Masq didn't get advertising at all.

>> No.6873757

>Going to Fanime 'smasquerade

>> No.6873763

>>6873757
I'm a masochist.

>> No.6873767

>>6872963
On another note, is there some rule against glow sticks? Some rovers came by and took my friends glowsticks from them because "Some drunk person drank the glowstick one year." and in another instance kicked a bunch of people smoking on the terrace down stairs and onto the street even though there are ash trays and such on the terrace.

What are the rovers allowed and not allowed to do? I'll take this issue to Fanime forums as well if that's the best option

>> No.6873792

>>6873767
Yeah, chemical glowsticks weren't allowed because of fears of leakage. Probably convention center policy.

>> No.6873794

>>6873767
Not staff, but I hear we're not allowed to have chemical glow sticks just in case they break. The electric ones are fine though

>> No.6873798
File: 30 KB, 552x360, jackie-chan-whut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6873767
>>6873792
>>6873794

>mfw one year some sperg sitting behind me had no fucking idea how to operate a glowstick and cracks one in half, spilling the contents onto my sweater

How you fuck that up I don't know.

>> No.6873808

>>6873744
There was another awesome Nitori? Cause the one that showed up ten or so minutes late to the gathering (fuck that location, seriously) was great.

>> No.6873817

The only problem I had all weekend was the occasional dumbass who made snarky remarks about how people below the 5th floor shouldn't be allowed to use the elevators when I got on to go down or got on and pushed my floor.

bitch really?

Do you think I'm using a walking cane for shits and giggles?

>> No.6873818

This was my first Fanime so my expectations weren't very high, but i was quite pleased. Save for a few people, the people there were all hella chill. I met some new people and had a blast. Registration is really my only gripe, but other than that my weekend went smoothly.

I was walking around carrying a girls purple purse most of the time, so if you saw me, hi.

>> No.6873823

>>6873808
Did she have the super-high rubber boots and the skirt was kinda hiked? I'm not trying to be creepy, but it was smaller than the actual outfit, not that I care. I think she was with her boyfriend.

>> No.6873838

>>6869880
The skits and masqueraders weren't bad. The MC and who ever was running the audio is where the problems lie.

>> No.6873841

I saw Steam Powered Giraffe, so I'm happy. That's all I expected to get out of this Fanime, and that's pretty much all I got. Aside from hanging out with friends that I haven't seen in months, it was pretty unspectacular.

But oh lord SPG <3

>> No.6873843

>>6873628
The badge-pulling process has changed around somewhat this year; >6872963 anonstaff may not be fully up to date. The Security folks are still coming up to speed; they're still a bit aggressive.

Mostly: don't get your stupid ass caught for being publicly intoxicated. The con is dry, and says so in a bunch of places. You being underage only makes it worse, as that unequivocally makes you a lawbreaker. We do not enjoy having to haul people in, giving them the lecture, and then taking their badge away. There's paperwork to fill out, it consumes a whole lot of people's time, it's annoying in general - but mostly, it means you were being disruptive to the con and making everybody else's time less fun. Don't be That Guy.

>> No.6873847

>>6870959
>>6872501
it's funny. This is the first year I didn't have any issue with the staff.. But my friend did. But then again I avoided them like the plague.

Fanime needs to have a staff meeting to address this problem.

>> No.6873850

>>6873823
Yeah, I think we're talking about the same person, though I'm pretty sure the "boyfriend" is just a friend.

>> No.6873853

>>6873850
Actually scratch that I think we're talking about different people, be nice if more than the few Touhou pictures I've seen would start popping up.

>> No.6873857

>>6873843
I'm definitely not saying I didn't see the rules (I've been going con for quite a while). But you said there's paperwork involved? I strolled into con-ops the morning after and they simply told me that I wouldn't be getting my badge back, which again is fine. I broke rules, and for that I face consequences, but no one made me read or sign anything. It kind of makes me mad that they didn't go through the entire process of my badge getting pulled.

AGAIN, it was on the last night of con, so I wasn't too hurt about it, but badge seizure's rather serious, and if they didn't go about it the right way, that upsets me.

>> No.6873864

>>6873853
I didn't get a picture, sadly, but she was pretty thin and was near the gaming room a few times, but never actually went in.

>> No.6873881 [DELETED] 

>Good
Lots of Tokusatsu cosplay, showings, and events
More 18+ panels
Two Yugioh panels
Yamaga presenting Sensory Gokan V
More catered to fans of Japanese visual media this time
Big artist alley
Vaguard/Weiss demos/tourneys in the gaming room

>Bad
Everyone is too hikiko to leave hotel room 2013

Missed most of the panels and the toku gathering because everybody was trying to get a hold of me all con

Phone constantly dieing all con

Tons more bootleg merch in vendors hall, I was so unsatisfied with the figs in my price range that I just settled with a nendo. Oh well, my Kyoko is cute!

I found all of the Touhou cosplay that I saw to be disappointing.

Nobody likes Matryoshka anymore, if you wear this cosplay, nobody will pay any attention to you. Not to mention everybodies hoodie was the one from Amazon/eBay pretty much, and people don't seem to know anymore that there was more than just Gumi in that video. Maybe if I cosplay Matryo with someone else...

>Ugly
Three panic attacks due to people
Unacceptable line management, I found that they were very unprepared, there should be procedures in place for when your crew jumps ship

>> No.6873891

>Good
Lots of Tokusatsu cosplay, showings, and events
More 18+ panels
Two Yugioh panels
Yamaga presenting Sensory Gokan V
More catered to fans of Japanese visual media this time
Big artist alley
Vaguard/Weiss demos/tourneys in the gaming room

>Bad
Everyone is too hikiko to leave hotel room 2013

Missed most of the panels and the toku gathering because of people trying to get a hold of me all con

Phone constantly dieing all con

Banzai Arcade's host has an awful speaking voice, even up close I couldn't understand him. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast, loved the crowd, and his game is awesome (I even asked for advice on an RPG maker game with mashups and he was very nice ^_^)

Stage Zero gameshow host was bad at explaining what he wanted the contestants to do.

Tons more bootleg merch in vendors hall, I was so unsatisfied with the figs in my price range that I just settled with a nendo. Oh well, my Kyoko is cute!

>Ugly
Three panic attacks due to people
Unacceptable line management, I found that they were very unprepared, there should be procedures in place for when your crew jumps ship

>> No.6873895

>>6873411
maybe he stayed home because registration finally wasn't a clusterfuck that day. It was empty as hell, haha.

>> No.6873898

I was the loud girl at the rave... ;0 Yeah. No one but the top dogs can take badges. If you remember what they look like you should give a description and report them.That is the least cool thing and is power tripping defined.
I honestly did not remember the rules being this strict for anything for Fanime. They did up security.The lines were awful.(UNORGANIZED)The places that needed more staff were understaffed. I observed a few panels that did not need as many staff. The good for me: I pre reg. That day 0 line was long as FUCK. Yet I feel this year went more smoothly? Less uptight staff this year which made volunteering bearable. Does getting tipsy at a room party and making a jackass out of oneself count as good or bad?
BAD: Seemed to be more homeless. A few more crazies here and there too T.T And I got yelled at by a few con attendees. I am not trying to be mean Im just doin my job.

The ugly: I've never seen so many people getting sick or passing out. We're human try not to be a real life super hero , eat, drink, and try to sleep. I found out a reason why alot of staff can be assholes.More than one admit to working over the week for more than 40 hours... I don't know about you but I am a fucking cunt if sleep deprived and I caught myself accidently overworking.27 hours is quite alot.If someone is an inconsiderate ass hat ask said ass hat how many hours they been working. Tell them to get some sleep if it is over 10 hours a day. Report them if they are confrontational because you deserve more than that. Thanks and peace. This year I had not had any run ins with staff but FUCK all the ones that are work aholics ruin a whole week if you experience it.

>> No.6873906

>>6872963
Thanks for responding anon staff, I appreciate that you're trying to help.

I'm not sure about all the details since we met the guy on a crosswalk on Sunday night (about 12:30 midnight). He was pretty shaken up by the encounter when we talked to him. This is what he told us:

I think he had been in one of the hentai rooms. He was using a comped badge -- his friend worked at the Hilton as staff and got a comped badge, and didn't care about anime at all so gave the badge to him. The name on the badge said something like "Hilton Staff #2" and staff asked for his ID, which of course didn't match the name on the badge. They then told him that he either had to come with them to con ops to confirm his name, or give up his badge then and there. All this was understandable (except the name matching thing, wtf) since he was technically using his friend's comped badge. What happened after wasn't.

He stood up and told them that he was going to leave. The staff grabbed his arm. He was pretty shocked about what was going on, and even asked "why are you touching me?!" to which the staff started repeating "we're going to have to use force!" From there, the staff twisted his arm until they got ahold of the badge around his neck and ripped it off.

We also urged him to report it, so I guess you'll hear about it if he does Anon-Staff.

>> No.6873907

>>6873898
This makes me so very upset, and I really have nothing more to say aside from the fact that I knew I broke the rules, complied with staff to the best of my ability, AND even thanked the staff member for doing her job properly after she took her badge.

I'm so glad I have so many wonderful friends who go to fanime or else I would find no reason to come back.

>> No.6873909

>>6873907
*took my badge

>> No.6873910

>>6873906
haha wow
that's a liability nightmare just waiting to happen. whoever did that was pulling some very stupid shit and if they had ended up injuring your friend the organization could end up with a huge black eye

>> No.6873913

All top senior staff can pull badges. That's the chairman and vice, wolfgang, all department heads, and their seconds. I can even pull badges, because I was a second-in-training. I've only pulled a badge once, it was a stupid fuck drinking glow sticks last year. He was on more than one elicit drug. Because an incident report had to be filed with the convention center security, their higher ups were made aware we had the chemical glowsticks in the first place, which we didn't know we couldn't have the whole time.

So the glowstick drinker both did and didn't get them banned. They were technically banned all along.

>>6873857
Your situation is the exact kind that we take badges for. We are extremely liable for a minor getting drunk. While the particular rover may not have had the authority to take badges, wolfgang would have probably backed his decision. As for paperwork, that's on our side unless you are getting blacklisted. You wouldn't need to sign anything unless serious action was getting taken.

You're lucky you got your badge pulled by a common rover. We're supposed to hand you over to the police. He actually did you a favor in that respect, getting you out of public without all the consequences. You would know if you're blacklisted though, so you're probably not.

>> No.6873919

>>6873847
We do. There was a large speech about power-tripping right before the con. Some people just can't be trusted with power.

The only time I ever overstepped my bounds was when a guy started very loudly talking shit at a tournament where everyone else was having fun, and I tried telling him to stop with the comments and sorta flashed my badge at him, and soon after he left in a huff.

>> No.6873921

>>6873898
The shrill girl manning the rave line on Sunday was you? Good god girl, we're all sleep deprived. Stop with the screaming and the nazi-like enforcement of single file only. There was no rhyme or reason for some of the things you enforced on people. It would have been nice to be treated as a person, instead of a 3 year old who didn't know how to queue up. I know they work the volunteers hard, but did you really need to make everyone else's life miserable to make up for it?

>> No.6873923

>>6873913
The rover/volunteer/staff member was a girl. And thank you for giving more details about what really goes on when someone takes a badge. I won't have to worry about being an intoxicated minor in public and can just worry about being intoxicated in public in a matter of a few months.

Again, thank you for reading over my comments and responding to them.

>> No.6873927

>>6873906
I have the full report on this incident, too. Firstly, there was rover staff, and convention center security. Convention security is authorized to use force, not that we encourage it.

Badges are 100% non-transferable. You cannot use a badge that is not yours. If the hotel guy wanted his badge to go to someone else, he should have told his boss at the hotel that he wanted it in someone else's name. They've done that before. In a case of a non-matching badge, we are supposed to pull them if such staff who can are involved, or rovers should take the person to con-ops to have the badge checked or pulled. Most likely their "give us the badge or see con ops" is actually being nice, because you can be blacklisted for using other people's badges. Adding to that, their exaggerated behavior is due to the rash of thefts on Sunday, many badges and purses were stolen. If you had someone else's badge on Sunday night/Monday, you were a possible suspect.

As for the physical violence claimed, the security report and bystander reports indicated there was arm-holding, but no twisting or pulling. The purported victim did not receive what they claimed, and they physically ran from the security, making them extremely suspicious.

The reports from bystanders claimed that the purported victim left with the badge, and that nothing was ripped from his neck. Con ops sent someone to find him and pull the badge minutes later, which is likely when you met him.

>> No.6873937

>>6873923
It's no problem. I know it sucks to get your badge taken, and we all make mistakes in the party atmosphere of fanime. I'm glad it didn't totally wreck your con.

>> No.6873946

To the seagull who ran the Super Sentai gathering on Saturday: Thank you. It was the highlight of my con, and its definitely something I'd go to again.
>>6871501
Technically the dances are supposed to be all ages, so I don't know why they ID'd you. Sorry to hear though. Sometimes volunteers get super power trippy about having a ~*~staff job~*~ so it sucks to be on the butt end of it. I got it a few times too despite being a staff member.
>>6870959
Don't lump us all together. Sorry that things didn't go too smoothly about B&W ball and they're addressing that next year, but not all staff are assholes.

>> No.6873951

>>6873937
It's staff members like you that give me hope that fanime will improve. I cannot thank you enough.

>> No.6873976

>>6873927
Ok there. I'm just telling it from what this clearly shaken up guy was saying. He said that they had twisted his arm, and that it hurt. Clearly, you guys have already closed the book on the matter, but your response is very troubling to me.

The problem is the definition of reasonable amount of force used is the issue. Security guards should be only allowed to use force if they are defending themselves or taking someone into custody of a crime. Reasonable force is dependent on seriousness of the crime, the risk of harm for everyone, and the immediacy of the situation -- all of which were low. For example, a reasonable force for petty shoplifting would have been the physical presence of security, their verbal commands, and should require no more than holding force to make a detention..

By grabbing that guy (regardless if they twisted or not), it means that they considered him guilty of those thefts you mentioned. Am I the only one who is scared by the implications of this?!

Clearly, no one knew about security being primed with the thefts. And even then, why aren't people being treated innocent until proven guilty? And of course someone who got their badge physically ripped off of them would get the hell away. I know I would.

Just who is able to pull badges and in this manner? Earlier, there were many anons who said that only the top could do it, there was a formal process, it needed paperwork, etc.. Who are regular rovers/staff (can't use force) and who are con security (can use force)? This is really creating more disturbing questions than answering anything.

>> No.6874022

>>6873976
I see you clearly misunderstood many points I made, perhaps I was unclear.

We have not closed the book on anything, I have the reports right here of what witnesses said. The "force" was the security taking a grip on the purported victim's arm when he began to run. The convention center has it's separate security force. They are not staff. They are not congoers. We do not control them.

The grabbing of him as I understand it, is after his attempting escape. That is a very suspicious move, implying at the very least that it wasn't his badge. He was not and is not a suspect of the thefts. But running from an officer is considered just cause for investigation.

His badge was not "ripped off" according to the reports. He ran with his badge and was intercepted by con ops minutes later outside of the hall. He handed his badge over according to the reports.

I've said once before, all top senior staff can pull badges. The formal process is on the backend, not with the person who's badge is taken unless they are getting blacklisted. No Fanime staff can use force. Convention center security (navy-colored uniforms) and SJPD (black uniforms) can use force.

>> No.6874037

>No Fanime staff can use force. Convention center security (navy-colored uniforms) and SJPD (black uniforms) can use force.
very important to remember. even loss prevention guys at stores have strict rules on whether they can lay hands on people and a process on just how and when they can call people out for shoplifting. all normal employees are specifically told to alert one of the people who are authorized to do something because of liability. companies go out of their way to get specific insurance for those people.

what the friend could have done is just gotten out of the building asap and not stopped for anyone. if confronted, there's nothing most people, as noted above, can legally do, and you have no duty to identify yourself.

>> No.6874040

>>6872674
>korean
Hey, look, an actual weeaboo in 2013! get fucked in the ass nerd.

>>6872963
Whatever the nerds like, I can't care less. This dumb Japan/Korean dickwaving makes me ashamed to be Asian. As long as the majority of the nerds are cool with it (I saw the Red get up on stage and do the Hyuna routine, which actually was pretty amusing), Asian relations can fuck right off. This is a convention, not 2chan.

>> No.6874045

Does anyone have any information about some stalking incident at the ball? I saw several security guards run in that direction on... I think Saturday or Sunday night? It was pretty late, around 12 or 1 AM.

>> No.6874046

>>6874022
I'm going to stop responding because this really isn't my fight. I hope that a report gets submitted from the point of view of the guy. I clearly heard a different story than what's in your report.

I would urge you to keep an open mind. At the end of the day, congoers are just people who are supporting your convention and want to have a good time. The guy in question mentioned he had spent about $100 at artist alley earlier in the day that he sorely regretted. After the bad treatment of con staff on my friends this year and the last, I'm going to think long and hard about whether I'm going to go to fanime again next year.

Finally, just something to clarify: Are convention security & SJPD going around and checking badges? I thought that only fanime staff were doing that.

>> No.6874055

>>6874046
I doubt either would bother to.

>> No.6874056

Ugly: the old Russian fuckhead working baggage pickup/dropoff at the Marriott needs to get shot in the face.

>> No.6874066

>>6874046
>It's not either of our fights. He has been contacted to submit a report, but we have not received anything from him as of yet.

I personally think it was an over the top reaction, and would have handled it differently, but I recognize that I don't know all the information.

I'm sorry staff have made have affected your feelings towards fanime, and that this incident has occurred. Controlling all rungs of staff, and the volunteers we put in any form of power is unfortunately very hard. We strive each year to get better, but we have a long way to go.

And for your question, The security and SJPD do not check if you *have* a badge, but they do get involved if you are acting suspicious to them, or if they suspect you of some crime like stealing a badge.

I would hope you'd reconsider fanime, but I understand this incident may be too much for you and would understand your reasoning not to return.

>> No.6874087

>>6873767
That happened to us, but we just put all of our glowsticks on the rover.

>> No.6874103

>>6872697
I wish there was a short quiz at registration to keep you oxygen thieves out of the convention. Stay the fuck out of Fanime and stick to masturbating in /jp/, faggots.

>> No.6874109

>>6872718
Kill yourself. I don't care if you do it with that stupid seppuku shit, since you're a fucking weeaboo, but just stop breathing at all costs.

>> No.6874116

>>6874045
The ball ended at midnight so IDK what was going on if security guards were running over there at 1 AM. I was there pretty late in the evening, around 10 to when it ended and didn't see anything going on.

>> No.6874141

The good: cosplay gatherings, the BxW ball + raves
The bad: thinking going to the Homestuck meetup instead of watching the Berserk movie- instant regret
The ugly: how long the shuttles take... There was always a huge line and I always ended up having to wait at least 40 min. to get anywhere.

>> No.6874172

>>6874116
There were some drunk people stuck in an elevator around that time but that was at the Marriott and not the Hilton

>> No.6874178

>>6874172
I mean, that side of the buildings

>> No.6874209 [DELETED] 

Anon staff back.

>>6874040
K-Pop at Japanese events is going too out of hand. Fanime is becoming diverse and I appreciate that, but Cherry Blossom Festival has been struggling to keep with the Japanese-American roots it has. Besides you might as well tell Miss Chinatown competitions to start letting mixed girls with only Chinese mothers compete. I really, really hope the K-Pop trend dies in a fire.

>>6873843
Who the fuck are you? Only certain high ranking staff can pull badges, and it's ALWAYS been that way. The process isn't just your badge getting taken away in a few seconds. Apparently some power-hungry staff/rovers/volunteers have been pulling badges and it makes me furious to hear about as a staff member...Guess this will be brought up next meeting.

>>6873913
Now I'm curious what department you are, but pretty much this.

I'm pretty sure my con wasn't dry BUT didn't involve alcohol...if you know what I mean. Remember people that are 18-20, you can still get laid! I honestly find that more fun than being drunk.

>>6873794
Chemical glowsticks are not allowed.

>> No.6874222

Yeah I was basically doing what my bosses told me to do. Yell get people to stand in a line. As a volunteer you are bottom of the barrel gruntys< get it I made an anime joke. Basically zero authority. Sorry if I made your experience any less enjoyable. :(

>> No.6874230

>>6874209
>Besides you might as well tell Miss Chinatown competitions to start letting mixed girls with only Chinese mothers compete.

I don't see a problem with this. Cherry Blossom Fest's been losing its roots when they let in the Fanime maids for two years.

>> No.6874241

So what the hell was up with the reg line this year? Was it just bad internal organization or something?

>> No.6874258
File: 146 KB, 442x309, 1368418469709.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anon staff back.

>>6873913
This. Only these high ranking staff can take badges, not rovers, volunteers or even regular staff. And the process is pretty long and not just your badge getting swiped or taken away.

If anyone has had this issue where their badge was simply just taken away or taken with any kind of force from Fanime staff, PLEASE report it as soon as possible. Even with the con over, this feedback and matters are important to know about.

It's extremely unfortunate to hear about shitty, power-hungry Fanime staff that is ruining Fanimecon for everyone. I had many ups and downs and struggles, and this year tops disappointment from the overall convention. I've never been so upset at the performance of staff and the things that may be occurring behind closed doors.

There is also a huge bias and double standards that are set for certain staffers, and I find that extremely disgusting. I've seen intoxicated staff numerous times that got banned and warned, but others get away with it repeated times. I've also witnessed staff members get kicked out for saying one "negative" remark about Fanime while another went out clean because they happened to be a higher staff at another con. This needs to stop.

>> No.6874269

I will say some shady staff shit happened with a friend of mine. She was walking from one hotel to the other through the con center and had a bottle of tequila in her purse. The purse was a bit small so the top of the bottle was poking out. She wasnt drinking it at all. Some staff member confiscated it and then attempted to pull her badge, but gave up when she told them off. This brings to mind a few things. First off all, its pretty common knowledge that staffers keep "contraband" for themselves. Also, if something is in a bag and you are passing through the center (since you cannot go thru the street due to construction) why is this eligible for confiscation and badge pulling? Sounds like power tripping or blatant thievery to me.

>> No.6874272

>>6874230
CBF requires their queens to be at least 1/2 Japanese, not just a specific parent. I never heard of Fanime maids entering, either.

>> No.6874286

>>6874269
Obvious thievery. Do you remember which staff member this is? Any description?

I really am a staff member that doesn't give a shit about drinking as long as you aren't abusing your power or drinking on shift. Do whatever, get laid and get drunk, just don't abuse your power or drink on the job.

>> No.6874314

>>6874286
I was told it was a tall white dude in a black con polo and vest.

>> No.6874330

>>6874269
hahahahahahaha oh man your friend got jacked so badly. you don't give them a damn thing and you don't let them touch your badge or you period. they can tell you to leave, yeah, but they can't lay hands. and they more or less can only take your badge if you let them. the best they can do is request it or try to remember what your name/number is

>> No.6874440

>>6874241
I was at-con this year with an acquaintance. The computers kept crashing, and there were only four of them. Literally only four. Even at six in the morning, people waited for four hours.

>>6874272
Wait, I confused it with Spirit of Japantown. Holy hell, Japantown runs a lot of fests.

>> No.6874446

>>6872804
I still can't believe they didn't fucking get "Turtles in Time".

>> No.6874535

>>6874040
Stay away from an ANIME convention if you are going to force non-ANIME content down our throats.

>> No.6874540

>>6874446
legitimately tragic. some of them you really just gotta work through, like broken-wood prison = Splinter Cell

>> No.6874544

>>6874103
How about you keep your video game shit away from fANIME.

>> No.6874562

That Arkham Asylum question was just straight up bullshit, but most were fair.

>> No.6874568

So, how 'bout that Dickbutt commissioning storm that swept through AA?

>> No.6874580

>>6874568
I got asked to commission something and wow. The book he brought out with all his commissions in it was uh, impressive? Some people sure went above and beyond but it was a pretty big 'what's going on?' moment.

I think he kept telling everyone around me and me "you're not a real artist until you've drawn a Dickbutt"

>> No.6874586

Did anyone see the 25$ commission artist in AA? Oh my god all that talent..

>> No.6874594

>>6874586
are we talking actually good or sarcastic? I can't tell through the internet.

Maybe I should look for commissioners more. I like art.

>> No.6874744

>>6874562
"Pretend Blade" for Actraiser was pretty bullshit too. Agree that most of the questions were fair and some people are just idiots. I'm a little disappointed that I was in the endboss group where the audience got to shout out answers and didn't get to puzzle some out with my bro and his friend.

>> No.6874793

>>6874594
Toss-up. We had some crap sketchers in there, but the people who were taking commissions were usually above-average quality. I know /jp/ hates the fuck out of the one Touhou Project drawer in there, but I like her sketches.

>> No.6874833

>>6874793
I really like her coloring but I'm not too fond of her art style for the prints she makes and it makes me feel really conflicted and guilty.
The Eirin she had hanging was drawn by her usual partner, colored by her, is really really pretty, and gave me the vapors.

Potato, if you see this, I'm sorry. It's not you, it's me.

>> No.6874840

>>6874833
I know that feeling. I got a Flandre/Yuuka and Eirin/Reisen commission off of her last year, and they were great, but the art style /is/ kinda jarring - and I'm somewhat used to Western Touhous

Still a really good artist. (I'M SORRY POTATO FOR SAYING THAT AND PROMISING TO COME BACK AND COMMISSION SOMETHING :<)

>> No.6874843

>>6873891
>Everyone is too hikiko to leave hotel room 2013

this. half my hotel mates spent at least 60-70% of the weekend in the hotel sleeping or watching netflix.

>> No.6874870

>>6873817
I'm definitely in the group that thinks people on floors five or below shouldn't use the elevator, but if you're injured/handicapped, have little kids, are carrying tons of stuff, have unruly costumes etc, by all means, PLEASE use the elevator. I just think there are too many assholes who use the elevator to get to the third floor simply because they are too lazy to take the stairs. I'm so tired of waiting for ages for an elevator with friends just to see them get shoved to the side at the last second so some punks can go up one or two floors. Pet peeve, sorry.

>> No.6874886

>>6874843
one good thing about not getting a hotel and being local... me and my friends had to go to the convention center to meet up. even managed to cajole one of my friends who only wanted to go a couple of the days even though he had a weekend badge

>> No.6874952

>>6874870
Why no separate them like the federal buildings do?
Two elevators for floors 1-4, four for floors 5-whatever, and the other two for the even higher floors.

>> No.6874978

>>6874952
*not
Ugh, I sounded like some fucking fedora wearing cancer.

>> No.6875245

>>6874952
I assume maybe because there's not enough room in a hotel? I really don't know though, I would be all for that sort of separation.

>> No.6875296

>>6875245
there's a balance they have to hit when designing the place. it's something like 1 elevator per 50-75 rooms/1 elevator per 45k square feet of space. don't want too many because then it's wasted money. don't want too few because then there's a wait and someone along the way determines that there's an acceptable wait for burst situations (like certain points of time at conventions). mainly they don't want to waste money on too many elevators.

>> No.6875710

>>6873857
Paperwork for us, not you. We have to file things internally when badges get pulled.

>> No.6875724

>>6874046
>Are convention security & SJPD going around and checking badges? I thought that only fanime staff were doing that.

Yep, they were. And they were being rather heavy-handed this year; we're not happy about this, and will try to get them to tone things down. I believe all of the security were off-duty SJPD, which may explain some of their behavior.

And to respond to a much earlier comment: I know of no seconds that can pull badges. Hell, not many department heads can even pull badges. Rovers can be authorized for specific instances on the behalf of highers-up, though.

>> No.6875730

>>6874314
That would be the off-duty po-po. We're trying to rein them in for next year. Please do send feedback to the con about this.

>> No.6875744

>>6873843
Hi Jonas

>> No.6875780

>>6874258
You are right about the shitty upper staffers. I still do not understand why the three chairs did not step down after the fiasco that is fanimecon 2013.

If fanimecon is going to save face and make their attendees happy the chairs and the board of directors for ARG should all step down. Comp the badges for 2014 for all the people who stood in line for seven hours.

If Japan Expo USA can make the attendees happy after their clusterfuck of registration than fanimecon should do the right thing and get it done.

>> No.6875789

>>6873946
>not all staff are assholes
That's a poor excuse, the worst of you represents the lot of you. The weakest link is going to break the whole chain. Deal with your problem staffers or suffer for it.

>> No.6875799 [DELETED] 

Anon staff again.

>>6875724
I might request an investigation done. I've never heard as many complaints about power tripping.

I wish I can apologize to all attendees as a staff member. However, that's not possible since Fanimecon has staff solely to track down people that talk down about the convention. Wonderful, right?

>>6875780
There's actually four chairs. I see almost no purpose in their existence.

>>6875789
This. Sorry but there are plenty of idiots in staff. I get the ones that improve but some need to get out with how ridiculous lines were and how much powertripping occurred.

>> No.6875808

>>6875799
Four? Who is the 4th Chair? Or you counting the chair from CA as the 4th? God help us if it is Scott Rux or Milton Le. Both worthless.

>> No.6875812

Anon staff.

>>6875808
Wolfgang is the main head wolf.
His minions are Gary, Thatch, and Josh.

Scott does prizes and Milton is communications.

>> No.6875833

>>6875789
Well guess what, the worst of convention attendees represents all of us. Deal with our problems as the shitiest of our fans make the staff look like saints

>> No.6875836

>>6875744
Must be some powertripping staff asshole instead. Jonas isn't the type to post here.

>>6875780
I have a lot of hope for Japan Expo.

>> No.6875844

>>6875812
I'm sorry but Wolfgang, Gary, and Thatch need to step down... IMMEDIATELY!

It's obvious these guys cannot run convention worth a damn.

>> No.6875867

>>6875780
Japan Expo didn't have far to go It wasn't even a question of "making people happy." It was a binary "are we going to succeed? yes/no" question. If they kept the French/European Japan Expo format they wouldn't have had a chance in hell, especially in California. It was something they had to do just to be competitive period.

I hope they succeed on their on merits but I wouldn't be surprised if people just go because it's in the Bay Area. That's one of the main reasons I am since I'm local.

>> No.6875886

>>6875867
People are just going mainly because of that. But their GOH line-ups are superb, I'd say there's are better than even AX's.

>>6875844
This. With a passion of 1000 flaming anuses.

>> No.6875894

>>6875886
The French one is well entrenched and 200k attendees gets you quite a bit of star power (just look at SDCC's 130k and their guests, although it helps that Hollywood is so close by). Unless they are going balls-to-the-wall year one in terms of funding I doubt we're going to have as good a lineup, especially since they're aiming for 17k. So far one concert slot is taken up by 1000say who actually happen to be a Japan Expo Belgium guest from last year.

With any luck the mere existence of Japan Expo less than 10 miles away will force Fanime to get it together. The last two years have been lackluster, to say the least. With the convention center's construction finishing this fall and the 20th anniversary in 2014 they will have no excuse to not make things good.

>> No.6875943

>>6872789
Actually, you'd be surprised how many people don't stay up to date. Whatever you think may be popular, add a filter of 1/30 chances of being known by the audience that bothers to watch the game show. There were Accel World and Sword Art Online questions that nobody could answer. The questions have to borderline being detailed to a series but still general enough that a person could guess the answer. The goal of the game show is to entertain. Those endgames of 21 questions were the best though.

>> No.6875947

>>6875844
>demands the heads step down because some cop was mean to someone and the lines were as long as they always were

lol

>> No.6875948

>>6873767
>>6873792
>>6873798
Back when LMC was at Fanime rovers went around picking up glowsticks and the auditorium became almost pitch black in comparison. I emailed the con about putting up official rules in the regulations about liquid glowsticks and I'll be goddamned that years later they're still keeping it an unspoken rule...

>> No.6875952

>>6874269
>why is this eligible for confiscation and badge pulling

It's not. There's language in the membership agreement that permits badge-pulling, but staff can confiscate NOTHING. They're event staff, not the fucking government or something. Con staff can ask you to leave, hotel staff can revoke your room, but none of them can seize property. Of course it's thievery.

>> No.6875956

>>6875943
That one about what Asuna's guild name was a little weird because I imagine that the translation varied from subber to subber. I was thinking Knights of the Red Cross but his answer was Knights of the Blood Oath I think.

And wtf with using two Tiger and Bunny pics of almost the exact same characters?

>> No.6875958

>>6875844
Former 2012 anon staff here:

From what I was told is that Wolfgang has no idea about anime fandom. He is only interested in Sci-fi/Steampunk and was the driving force to get Clockwork Alchemy going with ARG backing. Gary never wanted to be co-chair or con chair at all. He rather do Anime LA and AOD. Which I find very odd that he made the commitment in the first place. Josh comes in out of left field. Only department he has ran is Tech and that he is friends with Wolfgang.

I just get this impression that ARG was desperate to find somebody to run the show because nobody wanted to clean up the messes and the cliques that have formed on staff. The hard working people left the con for a good reason and it really showed this year. A lot of the issues could have been prevented months ago even with the construction.

Sad to see it go to the shitter...that is karma kicking their ass.

>> No.6875963

>>6875956
He answered Knights of Crimson Blood, which was accepted as close enough. The answer was mainly based on the initials for the guild being KoB.

That second picture slipped through the screening process...

>> No.6875966
File: 262 KB, 800x908, 1301424143947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Lionel Lum (the guy that made the Eva cockpit) goes HAM on FanimeCon 2013
>he want to see the con "reassign 75% of its staff and implement 50 or more active machines to speed up its Registration process"
>Every single Fanime staffer and volunteer should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Registration to fail so miserably

>> No.6875969

>>6875966
While they're at it, admission should be free and everyone should get a kitten.

>> No.6875974

>>6875969
WTF, only one kitten?!

>> No.6875976

Good: Enjoyable first con. Saw some great cosplay and took some decent pics. My favorites were with this super qt Hachikuji Mayoi and another with that pink mecha guy (I saw that he posts on here, great job bro). Rookiez is Punkd and 7!! were great.

Bad: Dat Line. I didn't really know the people I went with that well, so I ended up getting dragged to all the things they wanted to go to. Plus they rushed through the dealer's area so I didn't even get a chance to buy anything I wanted. I was too beta to asked them to stop since they looked like they were having fun.

Ugly: I didn't really know what homestuck was before I went to the con, now they're on the same level as ponies for me. For every good cosplay there were probably three bad ones. I guess that's to be expected though, and I only went for one day so I didn't really get a good sample size.

All in all it was fun, and I see why people go to cons, but also why people shun them. Would definitely go again though.

>> No.6875980

>>6875966
Considering he has experiencing staff other conventions, he has every right to say this.

>>6875974
Cats are always fine. Deal with it.

>> No.6875981

>>6875966
After all the registration horror stories i heard, i hope that they do do something about it.

>> No.6875985

>>6875958
From my understanding it's more that ARG shareholders are getting older and want more money.

ARG is for profit anyway. Those Jews wanna get everything that they can out of Fanime even if it is at the expense of the fans and attendees.

>> No.6875997
File: 94 KB, 960x640, 576739_10150990038916690_1889619582_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6873898
hope you had fun as these guys

>> No.6876047

Good:
MAXIMUM! BRIEFCASE! PUNCH!!
Touhou Gathering + After-Tea Party this year... even though it was pizza lol
Performing Chala Head Chala in karaoke room to everyone's cheering and singing along + the karaoke staff being cool people as always
Black & White Ball keeping its good quality from last 2 years
Some very wonderful and impressive cosplay like the Zaku suit guy
that new Pauly's hotdog place that opened up down the street was delicious
Fanime Jesus

Bad:
lol registration line
Masquerade being Masquerade
all that construction
rude con attendees

Ugly:
My friend's panel
the troll Sailor Scouts, in a good way

>> No.6876056

>>6875997
Is Gary drunk in this picture? I did not see him at all during con. Guess that is where he was hiding?

>> No.6876081

>>6875997
Where are these parties held at and how do I get in?

>> No.6876465
File: 54 KB, 466x446, 1319010026051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6875985
>Fanimecon By Fans, For Fans
>ARG making a profit

>> No.6876512

Once upon a time the Fanime masq was one of the most magical events in my convention year. I had only been to east coast cons before hand and it was just nothing but boring and cringeworthy stuff.

But then the Fanime masq of 2010 blew my mind in that a masq could actually be thoroughly enjoyable.

And now it's....this. We still don't know why that indie band was there?

Here's to hoping the retired head comes back at least as a shadow mentor.

>> No.6876597

>>6876081
Make friends or host your own

>> No.6876673

>>6876597
Yeah it's really not hard to have a party at all at con

Just have a room without people sleeping in it, or shift all your shit to a spot in the room and have alot of booze and invite folks

>> No.6876733

>>6875997
This photo is from last year's Fanime, not this year's. Was someone not invited to any parties this year and trying to relive it by posting past party photos?

>> No.6876736

>>6875966
He's right. This is a problem Fanime has had for years and has never actually addressed. The fact that they let it get this bad is pretty stupid.

>> No.6876744

>>6876512
Apparently Marisa left no documentation or instructions for whoever took over and none of the regular staff returned. Given it was a completely green team, it could have been so much worse. Jack at least seems to know places that need fixing (tech lol) so hopefully next year will be better.

>> No.6876748
File: 53 KB, 800x534, p1030009a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It was a fun con all around. I hope the Finnish the construction by nes year and get rid of the protesters. Check out my cosplay music video of fanime 2013. Here's to next year! Cheers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcWFntRFeng

>> No.6876869

>>6876736
Someone get Claudia some more fucking bodies and registration machines.
I mean, if there's staff/volunteers manning the registration machine that have been there for way more than is sane, one would think it would be a wise idea to assign more people so those that worked could get some decent sleep and not roll in at 9:30am after working until 3am for Day 0's pre-reg.

>>6875966
>>6875980
It's really just an issue of improper resource allocation. I mean, it's not like the machines/printers/etc are being thrown out at the end of each con. They're reusable so get more. The extra bodies assigned only need to be there until the lines die down, which could be done if they could handle the amount of attendees.

>> No.6876873

>>6876869
>>6876869
Lol if you were there on day 0 you could see they had the bodies

They were just standing around dicking around most of the day having terrible communication with each other.

The current problem in the convention is management, not lacking grunts. I would volunteer but only with more control to fix the issues, why volunteer into a broken system that'll discourage you from volunteering the next year?

What Fanime/ARG needs to do is spend the time and effort to make sure people in leadership positions are competent, regardless of years volunteers. If they aren't willing to do that, they need to hire professionals.

>> No.6876884

>>6876873
what exactly was the bottleneck? not enough people packing/handing out bags? not enough people looking for badges? if it's either of those it's not like you need to train people on it and the extra bodies should have been used for that

>> No.6876893

>>6876873
>and registration machines
Did you not read that part? Cause having more people to man the machines that don't exist is stupid. Not to say that even if they had the machines everyone would magically turned into productive grunts, but I see your point.
Can't blame the ones that stayed behind if the grunts they were given were stupid. I mean, would you trust them to not fuck up?

>> No.6876937

Anon staff here, this thread really helps. It's a hell of a lot more honest here than what I'm reading in the forums, so thanks. I'm letting my heads know about some of the problems so far, but the biggest issues we're getting is the badge pulling and the B&W ball dresscode. I am also hoping construction finishes next year but part of me also wants to keep it so the protesters don't come back. haha. Too much drama with them and congoers....

>>6874269
Only higher ups can pull badges. General staff cannot as well as rovers, and we've addressed this several times in our meetings. I don't know why people forget this.

>>6875789 That's pretty rude. The only staff I've had remote problems with are the first years who don't know what the hell they're doing, and the volunteers with power trips. Don't lump us together because there's always going to be asshole staffers, just like there are asshole congoers.

>>6875966
Dude, there's so many sections of Fanime to the point where if something fails I'll just say it's their problem. I'd like to help but everyone has their plates full. Registration sucked ass this year but I can't take responsibility because I'm not remotely close to that department.

>> No.6876936

>>6876884
The bottleneck at least when I went through the line on day 0 was the terrible badge pickup they did. They were artificially limiting and slowing down the line initially to give them more time to print the labels for the pickup on the other side of the room.

More people would not have helped in this situation whatsoever because no matter what in the end you have a bottleneck at the pickup table with the printouts. The old system was far better with pre-printed badges with badge numbers that you just grab from a box.

>>6876893
ARG is a for-profit company. The less they spend, the more they make. Makes sense for them to have less equipment and less stuff to store, although I believe they can write that off as a business expense.

In reality Fanime could keep the current shitty versions of the registration system if they could run reg for longer hours and open earlier. A constant stream of people runs much faster than a line that starts incredibly long.

That would be the simplest solution to all their issues if they really don't want to spend more money, or plan better, or mail badges, or hire someone, or ensure a more competent staff, etc etc

So if anyone with power is reading this, open reg as early as possible Thursday morning, and run it as close to 24 hours a day as possible.

>> No.6876965

>>6876937
>>6876937
>Dude, there's so many sections of Fanime to the point where if something fails I'll just say it's their problem. I'd like to help but everyone has their plates full. Registration sucked ass this year but I can't take responsibility because I'm not remotely close to that department.

Typical Fanime staff clique mentality

You guys are on the inside, if we on the outside volunteer and join staff, we'll just be crammed down as grunts at the lowest level and won't be able to change shit.

Really they should force heads to talk on the forums and directly address issues. It seems to some of us that alot of the staff don't even read the forums or other sites to get a feel for ideas and changes. They'd rather just be avoidant and put in as little work as possible.

>> No.6876980

>>6876733
Lol. I know some of that group. Fun people.

>>6876081
You could host your own easily. Its easy enough to get randoms to come over. You can also roam halls looking for one, but you are gonna have a low success rate on that. The best way tbh is to make friends with seagulls and find out where stuff is that way. I am almost always hosting something, but I take discretion on whom I let into my room. Just go to meetups and be friendly.

>>6876884
There were a two bottlenecks I saw. The first was not enough computers/stations. The second was the badges on the table. There were not many people there and they for some reason had them organized by the first letter of your real name rather than the fan name. The fan name is like twice the size of your real name, and as such it took about 2 minutes for them to find mine.

>> No.6876990

>>6876937
might want to let the staff know that just locking all the forum feedback threads was a pretty shitty thing to do. no one was being combative. yes, we know there's a feedback form. i filled it out. but i'd also like to have the ability to talk about where the issues lie in a public forum.

locking stuff was super duper unprofessional and just makes it look like fanime higher ups want to sweep all the criticism under the rug.

>> No.6876998

>>6876990
Welcome to the censored disinfo world of Eric Wu (ewu) and Milton Le (mlpe) where you will never receive straight answers and information, only locked threads, winky faces, and cryptic infoless responses.

>> No.6877017

>>6876937
>It's a hell of a lot more honest here than what I'm reading in the forums
one of the moderators actually closes down anything mentioning registration now. On one side I can understand, yeah, everyone realizes registration sucks so people don't have to keep saying it. On the other hand, it has to be said so that it doesn't happen again.

>> No.6877027

Guess I should get off my ass and write press articles now

>> No.6877533

I'm most likely going to be at Japan Expo. Can't be any worse than Fanime, right? At least we won't be in an airplane hangar.

>>6874833
>>6874840
Hi guys. I'm glad you like my work at least a little, and thank you for supporting me. Would you mind emailing me and telling me what it is about my art that you find jarring? I'm not offended- I'm just curious and always looking to improve.

Oh, and just to clarify- the Eirin print wasn't a collaboration. Miluda and I collaborate on the books, buttons, and charms, but the prints are all mine.

>> No.6877771

>>6877533
No, I'm scared.
I like what I like but I can't fully explain why I do so I wouldn't be much help.
The concepts are cute but the style did turn me off to them.

The Eirin on the other hand I love quite a bit and it's such a radical shift in style and gives a completely different feeling. It is very lovely and I hope you draw more like that.

>> No.6877872

>>6877771
Well, I don't bite, and I promise I'll try to stay professional and not let my feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like me.

The most common complaint that I got when I first started was that I draw women too masculine. That hurt, because in some way we all draw characters to look like ourselves. I see an androgynous face in the mirror every day, so my characters come out looking androgynous or masculine.

While I can see where people are coming from, when I would ask about specific things to change, the response was usually "make them more anime." That doesn't help, because I'm not going to do that. I made a conscious decision to move away from anime style, and I'm not going back. Any development in my style will be toward a more realistic and western comic style. I realize that this is shooting myself in the foot when I try to sell at anime cons, but I'm not willing to draw in a style that I don't like anymore just to make a few bucks.

The Eirin was a big experiment for me, and I do hope to expand on that style and do more painted works. It does, however, take a lot of time and practice and it has been slow going. I am working to improve the structure of my faces and anatomy, as well as backgrounds and all of the other necessities for an artist. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have new artwork that stretches my boundaries and reaches a wider audience.

>> No.6878181

>>6876965
Different staff anon here.

Typical Fanime staff clique mentality? What? Do you not understand that staff is broken into divisions and usually they barely interact? The division I was in had absolutely nothing to do with registration and there is NOTHING my division could do to help them. Registration problems are registration problems. They are not the problems of artist alley or panels or guest relations or whatever.

What's up with this "us vs. them" stuff? Every staff member I've met is a fan first and staff second. I didn't become a staffer because I wanted to be part of some clique, I wanted to help the con that I love. I want this convention to go smoothly and to have everyone enjoy it, and I'm sure the vast majority of the other staffers feel the same.

Are there terrible/mean/power-tripping staff? Of course. There will always be those types, unfortunately. But the majority want to help and want you to have a good time, so please stop thinking all staff is out to get you or whatever. Should the heads be reading the feedback on the forums? Of course, but they also need to plan/run the convention, so it's hard to expect them to read EVERYTHING. (Though I wish they would.)

That said, I'm sorry that reg sucked. There's nothing I can do about that except apologize hope along with you that it'll be better next year. Construction should be done, so hopefully that will help with some other problems as well.

>> No.6878191

>>6877872
I would like to see this Eirin print. Do you have a site I can see it (and your other art!) at?

>> No.6878215
File: 110 KB, 504x756, glasses book- eirin web version.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6878191
Sorry for the big ugly watermark- this one's a print-only image so I haven't posted it anywhere online.

I have a portfolio at rabidpotato.com, an art/cosplay gallery at http://rabid-potato.deviantart.com,<wbr> and a cosplay/sketchblog (updated more frequently than the other two) at http://rabidpotato.tumblr.com..

>> No.6878504

>>6876936
Most cons are incorporated as "for profit" for tax reasons, regardless whether anybody's making any money off of anything.

>> No.6878516

>>6878504
S-Corp read about it, also look at dem shareholders

>> No.6879032

>>6878215
Oooo, I like! Thank-you!!

>> No.6879125

This whole mess is why staff meetings should go from optional to mandatory. Also, did anyone stay for closing? Each of the heads maybe talked for less than 30 seconds, I swear. And everyone who mentioned registration got ignored.

>> No.6879438

>>6879125
haha yeah. One of my staff friends, in a decently high position, straight up skipped one. "Shouldn't you be there?" "yeah" "who can cover if you're not there?" "no clue"

>> No.6879799

>>6879125
Staff meetings is a waste of time. There is nothing new or informative when they have one. It just seems like a circle jerk. Everybody rather have the meetings online instead of driving to X location. Why is that so hard?

>> No.6880128

>>6877533
Oh, you are? I was actually about to ask you on your dA. D:

I'll shoot you a PM there, I'm the dude who sent you the commission scans from 2012.

>> No.6880140

>>6876744
Does anyone know why Marisa and the entire Masq team left? I need juicy gossip.

>> No.6880272

>>6879125
I did, it was mostly the same, one Asian guy writing down everything the congoers were saying and mostly long-winded suggestions.

>> No.6880552

>>6880140
Marisa had a kid and didn't want to do it anymore. Less juicy gossip and more real life happening. Unfortunately when a coordinator steps down everyone else usually follows.

>> No.6880803

>>6880552
Shucks. Usually, when people leave en masse, it reeks of drama, like what happened with AX and AM2.

Ah, well. Hope she and the kid do well with wherever life takes 'em.

>> No.6881219

>>6880803
There's another Fanime thread going on. If you want to post more comments about the con, post it there.