[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 59 KB, 300x400, mary_op_roterose_color.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6769211 No.6769211 [Reply] [Original]

Hello seagulls, I need some help.
I've been a cosplayer for some years, but lately I became interested in the Japanese fashion. Not lifestyle-like, I just want to get out of the t-shirt and jeans "style".
I've been thinking about gyaru and lolita. While gyaru suits more my age and lifestyle, I'm short and have big hips, so lolita would fit me better.
Problem is, the only lolita style I like is the most expensive one. I'm talking about classic lolita. I'm not confortable with wearing second-hand clothes and the thought of spending 500€ on a single dress scares me.
Any good alternative? I don't want to be a replica-only, bodyline-chan, or something like this.
Pic related, my dream dress I'll never have.

>> No.6769212

Taobao.

>> No.6769213

Just go with gyaru. As long as you're not fat big hips are fine. It gets cheaper because you can buy things for it that aren't brand. Dressing for your body can flatter your shape and make you look great in almost anything.

>> No.6769226

Don't do it, for the love of christ.

Buying new builds up SO fast and if you're that uncomfortable with buying used it's not something you want to spend a lot on right off the bat. I'm not saying "don't try lolita" but start with dresses that are more reasonably priced, aka Taobao.
Infanta is my go-to shop for dresses because I also like toned-down styles. For blouses I like Boguta and 69th department.

>> No.6769232

>>6769213
I'm a bit chubby ( 5'3 130lbs ) and my thighs look really huge. I don't know what kind of gyaru clothing would look good on that.
>>6769226
>>6769212
Is there anything else than replicas and ita dresses on taobao?

>> No.6769237

>>6769211
What dresses are 500€ new!? MM is usually in the $200-300 range.

>> No.6769235

>>6769232
Taobao has a lot of really nice indie designers. Try Infanta, Krad Lanrete, Yolanda, Dear Celine, etc. Infanta's quality is comparable to brand and sometimes better, in my experience.

>> No.6769238

>>6769232
Plenty of shit on Taobao isn't ita.

>> No.6769241

>replica only
It is only print replicas that are illegal. Cut replicas are acceptable. In classic, the focus is on the cut of the dress, so as long as you steer well clear of print replicas and make sure to buy your replicas from actual companies, you needn't worry.

>bodyline-chan
Personally, I dislike Bodyline clothes, but everyone owns at least some Bodyline. I recommend following fyeahlolita's guide on wearing Bodyline - pick non-print pieces, co-ordinate them beautifully.

If you aren't into paying through the nose and don't want to wear pre-owned clothes, there is Taobao. I own a lovely classic dress from http://shop33886139.taobao.com/ and a good classic blouse from http://yolandadress.taobao.com/.. http://shop33035817.taobao.com/ has some good pieces too in the more gothic circus/Victoriana kind of classic, and http://miss-point.taobao.com/ has some good pieces of the more historical/Regency kind of classic. Definitely get a petti from Classical Puppets - either a-line or the small bell, depending on your taste. Avoid HMHM, their quality is up-and-down and they tend to use eccentric lining fabrics.

Outside of Taobao, there are Western indie designers that can help you. Try gothic clothes brands, although beware of ita-y stuff.

Your last resort is DIYing. Try and track down a scan of an Innocent World pattern for the GLB, draft it out and fit it to your measurements.

>> No.6769272
File: 1.20 MB, 2155x2867, 1365216426793.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6769241
Is this the scan you're talking about?

I'm currently trying to make my own dress with this as well.

>> No.6769302

>>6769232
That makes me sad-- did you even look at the Infanta shop site? They and Krad Lanrete are gorgeous. The clothing shops other people have named for you aren't replica/ita either.

>> No.6769307

>>6769302
To be fair some infanta things are a bit shoddy. Places like Rose melody are lovely as well.

>> No.6769456

>>6769211
Ummm...F+F actually has a really affordable version of this dress, in the same color. It's not the quality of MM, but its not a bad dress.

>> No.6769459

>>6769456
Yeah, that's called a replica.

>> No.6769475

>>6769211
Just a warning about that dress:
Even if you get a replica of it you should be aware that the waist measurement is very small, If you enlarge the waist measurement then the dress loses its shape and ends up looking a lot like a square. You said you were chubby, you are most likely going to want to get a bit fitter as classic tends to hide things less than sweet.

>> No.6769477

Innocent World (classic lolita brand) has really good seasonal sales; I got two great dresses for 50% off a few months ago. They also have an L size, and some longer-length dresses that cover more of your legs if you're self-conscious about your lower body.
Just throwing that out there if you want to try lolita. You *can* get some good deals buying new if you're patient.

>> No.6769481

>>6769302
This! Taobao has some really lovely clothes. Infanta is a perfect example: 0 replicas, Original prints, and you have to hunt to find something that is honestly ita.

>> No.6769612

>>6769272
Has anyone translated the names of the parts? I'm a fairly experienced sewerist but I still want to make sure I don't do anything utterly stupid like sew a bodice to the wrong end of the skirt, etc.

>> No.6769867

>>6769612
This guide should help:
http://www.antipope.org/feorag/gosurori/gr-patterns.pdf

There's still some guesswork involved if you can't read Japanese, but you should be able to figure out the basic parts with the glossary in that guide.
Also, GLB patterns include a 1cm seam allowance whereas you have to add it yourself for Gosurori patterns.

>> No.6770253

I own Surface Spell and their shit's damn gorgeous. Fuck their handiwork is great.

>> No.6770280

>>6770253
you're god damn right. ungh, that moonlight cathedral underbust JSK in black/purple haunts my dreams until the next paycheck

>> No.6770968

Thank you so much to all of you for replying! Right now I'm looking on all the sites you recommended and it looks so good!
I am a little chubby, but I have a small waist ( my measurements are 35-29-41 ) so I hope I won't have trouble with that. Thanks again, seagulls, you rock.