[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 7 KB, 291x230, through hole led.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6765310 No.6765310 [Reply] [Original]

anyone have experience with LED lights? i was thinking of using them to make part of a prop light up. so, tell me everything you can, starting i guess with how the hell i use it.

>> No.6765321

Before we tell you anything, tell us what you know. Any wiring experience? Understand circuits? Own a soldering gun? And what are you making? We need to know, to see if LEDs are even the way to go.

>> No.6765367

>>6765321
ok, hah, nevermind, i have come to the conclusion that this shit is way too complicated.

>> No.6765394

>>6765367
This is why there's so many lackluster cosplayers. Go the extra mile to make your costume stand out.

>> No.6765514

>>6765310
>tell me everything
r u srs

Do some research first, THEN come back and ask some questions. Really, there are tons of tutorials out there on how to work with LEDs, and many cosplay-specific tutorials. Get googling/youtubing.

>> No.6765687

>>6765367
come on man, don't get discouraged. let me make it easier for you, do you have a dollar store nearby? buy a cheap LED toy. Think lightsaber. gently break the casing without breaking any wires. you should be left with an LED two wires and a battery pack. that should be all you need, except maybe extending the wires.

>> No.6765692

>>6765367
>this shit is way too complicated.

it really isnt. stop being a fucking baby.

>> No.6765698
File: 1.02 MB, 1280x4483, LED.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Will this give you a vague idea of what you're doing?

>> No.6765709

>>6765367
>shit is way too complicated.
It's really simple, if you sit down for a little and have at it you'll be good to go after you gather the materials, and you can use them to really make something great. Seriously, don't give up.

>> No.6765977

Best friend for figuring out reistance in LED circuits: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

>> No.6766426

I have no experience or whatsoever with it but for my next cosplay, I have to use EL. Thankfully I found someone in my city who's willing to do all of the wiring parts of my cosplay! Go ask someone about it!

>> No.6766455

Gonna hijack OP's thread:

I'm interested in making a light up prop change color (Skies of Arcadia weapons to be specific). So far I've concluded that I should use frosted plastic to craft the weapons and diffuse the lights but I haven't done lighting/wireling research yet: what are the ways to make a prop light up different colors (7 iirc)?
I know I've seen items where the colors shift gradually and I'd rather have it so that they change when I press a button but if that is the easier options I'll consider it.

If you have any better ideas on how to craft the weapon's themselves, I'm all ears: so far I've settled on building them out of plastic sheets after considering giant resin molds. I'm worried about the durability of both methods but I figure the resin will be much heavier and chip so the plastic would be a better bet.

Thanks, /cgl/!

>> No.6768142

>>6765709

Honestly, I would suggest going to a hobby store and picking up one of those kids basic circuit kits. You really do learn a lot with them, and you'll probably find what you need. The basic concepts are really all you'd need for a project like this. Apply yourself man!

>> No.6768153

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/?sort=none&q=LED+basics

There you go.

>> No.6768155

>>6768153

And here's a good one for absolute baaaasics.

http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/