[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 2.36 MB, 400x227, 1360392819588.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6754315 No.6754315 [Reply] [Original]

I have a question. What are your thoughts on non-anime costumes at anime conventions?

For example, Homestuck and Adventure Time, although they have assimilated themselves into con-culture, are not Japanese related.

I am personally fine with it and expect to see it at cons. I'm just genuinely curious what the majority thinks.

Pic semi-related

>> No.6757136

People who like anime like nerdy things from the West too. It only makes sense that non-anime/mangou costumes show up at anime cons.

>> No.6757153

It annoys me if there's too much of it, like Hamsteak.

>> No.6757162

It's very rare for cons to be just about the one thing anymore. When was the last time you went to a Comic Con that dealt ONLY in comics?
They're basically pop-culture conventions.

>> No.6757402

I hate seing Homofuck cosplayers in general, because I hate autistic people.

As for other Non-Animu&Mango cosplayers, I don't mind it. Hell, I'm going as Rorschach and The 4th Doctor for AB

>> No.6760381

I went as Steampunk to an anime convention and the organizers personally came to me to thank me for bringing in something new.

>> No.6760383

It's not that I mind it. My problem starts when I go to an anime convention, and there's more Homestuck/Adventure Time/Doctor Who than all of the anime cosplay combined.

>> No.6762094

i don't see why people get so pissy about non-anime cosplays at anime conventions. i mean do you see people flipping their shit over non-comic cosplays at comic conventions? nooooo.

>> No.6762106

I was literally just thinking this when I looked down at my half finished costume from a game. Now I feel better.

>> No.6762197

I like seeing costumes from things besides anime at anime conventions. Maybe it's because I prefer video games to anime and half my costumes are video game related, though. The only problem I have is when people act like they're somehow superior to anime fans because they enjoy western media instead. I don't understand where that attitude came from, but it's pretty annoying. We're all a bunch of nerds on fantasy vacation for a weekend, why do we need an hierarchy? Getting annoyed with screaming teenagers is understandable, but beyond that, it doesn't make any sense.

>> No.6762210

>>6757402
I went as Rorschach to an anime convention. Felt good.

>> No.6762359

>>6757153
pretty much this, hamsteak just kinda crowds out the other cosplayers

>> No.6762815

I think they're a breath of fresh air. One of my favorite cosplays I saw at Momocon this year was detective B-MO from that noir episode.

>> No.6762830

At this point they're less a novelty and more a full-on part of the con, just as if not more common than anime cosplays. Still, there tends to be good variety, so I think it's generally healthy for conventions overall. I want to say it also helps numbers, since more "casuals" are likely to recognize stuff from Western fandoms, then actually come visit the con to see what the kerfluffle's about. Fun for the whole family.

I think that should be limited to cosplay, though. Programming is where things get a little iffy. Just because your presence in cosplay is tolerated, doesn't mean the con is obligated to cater to your tastes in what they decide to officially endorse as a feature of their convention. I don't think many Western fandoms have this problem outside of Homestuck, though.

>> No.6763106

>>6762197
>The only problem I have is when people act like they're somehow superior to anime fans because they enjoy western media instead.
OMFG this. Especially when they're former anime fans whining about how "all anime is slice-of-life moeshit these days".

>> No.6763345

>>6760383
This. I'm fine with non-anime cosplay when it's more just people getting creative - I've seen some really out-of-the-blue things like NiGHTS and Super Grover. But nowadays, there tends to be more non-anime (i.e., BBC/AT/MLP/Homestuck) cosplay than anime cosplay, even when the con outright labels itself as an anime con. It doesn't help that the designs in these franchises tend to be more boring to look at - AT cosplayers tend to dissolve into a glob of Fionnas and Marcelines, MLP is just a flock of pastel, BBC cosplay is browns and jackets everywhere, and Homestuck speaks for itself. Even shitty-cosplay-fads of the past like Naruto and Hetalia at least yielded enough diversity in their designs to make crowds colorful.

>> No.6768407

I went to a Japanese Festival as "Wori" (Waldo/Wally from Where's Waldo?/Wally?, complete with Japanese nametag just to be in the spirit of things), and I actually got people coming up to me who wanted to "find me." It was abit of a surprise for folks.

The funniest thing about it was the older folks looking at my name tag wondering who the hell I was. "Woh....ree.....who dat?

>> No.6768416

>>6760383
i second this.

>> No.6769513

I personally dislike it, but I would never go to a comic/sci fi con in anime cosplay (unless it had an anime track). I personally keep my nerd interests separate and rarely mix them.

I never really minded the non-anime cosplay too much until it started to take over and really dilute and cheapen anime cons, in my opinion. I know that's harsh, but it's because it's not just that these people cosplay non-anime things. They have to have panels and want recognition of these things as appropriate and acceptable at an anime con.

If it was just cosplay, that's okay, but it's not, and that's where I take issue with non-anime cosplay/fandom at anime conventions.