[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 93 KB, 1366x768, 0011-iFsklew.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6736092 No.6736092 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, so Bungie (makers of HALO) is currently working on this game called DESTINY. It's slated to be a sci-fi shooter, but the real attraction is supposed to be unique environments and...

>character customization.

Unlike the Halo games, there seems to be more fabric than armor involved, which makes Destiny more accessible to the costume community. The Halo and Star Wars franchises are cool, but its overwhelming if you've never scuplted anything from scratch, molded fiberglass, etc.

I think the Destiny universe has a lot of potential for costuming, and here's why...

>> No.6736123
File: 563 KB, 1920x1200, guardians_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pt1

>Characters with the potential for variation.

How many clones of popular characters have you spotted at cons and 4chan? It's cute if they show a face, but they blend together when there are masks. It seems the more popular a character is... the more boring the costumes.

The few communities that seem to flourish with regular production of works (of varying quality) are the ones with many variations. Love it or hate it, Homestuck and Vocaloid seem to be a dominating force, and as time progresses, the originals seem more bland, making new variations that much more exciting.

>pic related

The first task for new players in Destiny is to create a character and choose between three classes: Hunter, Warlock, and Titan. Notice the Hunter depicted in this concept art has a female figure.

>> No.6736157
File: 540 KB, 1920x1200, hunter_armor_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pt2

>The Hunter I

The Hunters are plain humans on this future Earth.

The general outline is described as being triangular, with 50/50 fabric/armor coverage ratio. The defining characteristic is the Hooded cloak/cape.

>> No.6736179
File: 574 KB, 1366x768, 0088-Gjlxovg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p3

>The Hunter II

Pictured here are three rare cloaks that can be earned through the game. They're meant to be a reward for completing a particular task. This selection should represent the more ornate ones available.

I think the construction of a hooded cloak is a simple entry-level project for someone new to sewing. I forsee these becoming somewhat popular, even if people can't figure out the armor or the other parts of their character.

I particularly am fond of the design on the right. It reminds me of a traditional quilted "star" pattern.

>> No.6736199
File: 571 KB, 1920x1200, titan_armor_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p4

>The Titan I

This exo-group is clad in armor. They kinda remind me of space knights.

For costuming, I see lots of armor fabrication and little sewing. The general outline is V-shaped, with a 20/80 fabric/armor coverage ratio. No doubt somebody will manage to construct some of these bad boys. For most, it will be out of the question.

>> No.6736203
File: 568 KB, 1920x1200, legendary_titan_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p5

>The Titan II

Pic related. This Titan has only been dubbed as "Legendary". No doubt it will be difficult to acquire in-game.

Good luck with the paint job on that one!

>> No.6736231
File: 565 KB, 1920x1200, warlock_armor_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p6

>The Warlock I

This enchanted class is best described as a group of "space wizards".

The profile on these guys is opposite the Titan, with an inverted-V outline, and a 70/30 fabric/armor coverage ratio.

This is it! More sewing means its the more accessible to fabricate.

>> No.6736241
File: 163 KB, 640x1136, warlock_armor_mobile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p7

> The Warlock II

I'm personally interested in the figure on the left from the above image. At it's core, its a longcoat with quilted lining. The rest... some leatherwork and making some form of helmet.

>> No.6736256
File: 73 KB, 1366x768, 0076-gJPUYGJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p8

>The Warlock III

Most everything pictured so far is concept art that most likely may not even make the final game. The exceptions being p3 and p5 which are rendered, not painted.

Going no-helmet might be a fun alternative with an opportunity for unique hairstyling and makeup. Take this one with skepticism since this is certainly pre-production concept art.

That being said, here is a pic that generally captures the feeling of the warlock class. They based the character class off of magic and myth... elves, vampires, ghosts, and angels.

>> No.6736264
File: 102 KB, 1366x768, 0080-VdG1MA4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p8

>The Tigerman

>Tigerman is noble.
>>Tigerman is bestial.
>>>Tigerman is wise.

This class was canned from the game... The artists seem to have had fun with him.

Here's a joker's chance to troll a group. A suit with polka-dot tie, and a tiger mask will lighten any mood.

>> No.6736270
File: 594 KB, 1366x768, 0060-vJtBESM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p9

>Bad Guys

So, there's more than just humans in the future. They need some aliens to blast. Destiny promises five alien races to challenge human survival.

>> No.6736272
File: 516 KB, 1920x1200, vex_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p10

>The Vex

"Time-traveling robots"

Due to the shape, these are impossible to costume. Move along...

>> No.6736275
File: 565 KB, 1920x1200, captain_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p11

>The Fallen

These are more comparable to the human classes. I've seen several variations of these so far. With a Humanoid form it seems possible that fans may costume these guys.

Maybe they'll even do the four arms for special effect.

>> No.6736278
File: 681 KB, 1920x1200, battleground_desktop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p12

>The Cabal

The massive size of these giants is once again prohibitive, however, its not too much to imagine if you think of it as a mascot

>> No.6736281

get out Bungie

>> No.6736284
File: 136 KB, 640x1136, fallen_mobile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p13

>The Hive

"Space zombies"

Who doesn't like zombies? Once again, this one requires a specific skill set for makeup and prosthetics, but no doubt someone is dedicated enough to try it.

>???

They haven't announced the fifth race yet.

>pic related

another picture of "The Fallen"

>> No.6736296
File: 129 KB, 1366x768, 0090-WvPimH0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p13

Well, that's been a fun diversion. Now, lets return to discussion about character customization. Past games like halo have had a number of options, but generally they are all mix-and-match from a few dozen sets.

From what I've noticed in the character art so far is that most costumes are asymmetric. I think this may offer the much opportunity for more unique customizations. Most details haven't been revealed yet.

What has been revealed is that this customization will be extended to weapons. The appearance, aesthetics, and function may vary from player to player, and, like attire, may be acquired through gameplay.

Here are some unique weapons that have been showcased so far.

>> No.6736300
File: 128 KB, 1366x768, 0094-dtToGNY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

p14

The props and model guys are sure going to have fun recreating these

>> No.6736374

>Are we there yet?

I'm out of photos. To iterate, here is why I think this will be fun for some.

>Variation is the key.

Not only can costumers be identified as being unique, they don't have to conform or fit to a mold.

Picture any popular costume. There are good ones and bad ones. Are the bad ones bad because they aren't up to the same quality? Also, does seeing a costume, then seeing a high number of mediocre copies detract somewhat from the first? With variation, it matters somewhat less, because everyone is supposed to be different, not the same.

I realize most of this is concept art, but I've got some ideas to kick around until some more concrete information is released.

>> No.6736394

>>6736374
I approve of this thread. Thanks Tigerman.

>> No.6737629

The game wont be out yet for a year minimum, all we have to work with is the usual artwork which might not even resemble the game and there are already people like OP writing multi post novels based on almost nothing.
What is it with Bungie and their aspie fanbase?

>> No.6737648

>>6737629
When I first saw the thread I thought it might be a discussion/image dump on all sorts of games that involves customization, but in the end all I feel like, "Okay... So what?" What a way to advertise.

>> No.6737786

>>6736157
>The Hunters are plain humans on this future Earth.
Actually, race is separate from class. Hunter's can be Humans, space elves, or space robots, just like the other classes.