[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 185 KB, 800x800, Signs and symptoms (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6733812 No.6733812 [Reply] [Original]

We've all had hot glue burns, pin picks and paper cuts, but what about other injuries?

ITT: we talk about injuries we've obtained from cosplaying.
*Cosplay mishaps are fine too (like dropping a prop and it snapping in half)

>> No.6733841

I wore drywall stilts for a costume at Otakon 2010. One of the leg braces rubbing on my shin all day gave me a little ingrown hair/pustule/thing which became infected with drug-resistant staph. Courtesy of heatstroke and exhaustion I had no immune response, and 48 hours later I was completely septic and my little skin infection had spread down into the bone and there was a possibility of having to amputate my leg below the knee. My leg looked like Soul Edge, sans wandering eye. It was disgusting.
About a month after that the infection recurred in my kidneys and I had a bout of endocarditis.

>> No.6733849

>>6733841
After reading drywall stilts i was like oh he was talking they broke and he like fell down stairs or something. o god.. Thats horrible. Everythings all fine now though correct?

>> No.6733850

>>6733841
Jesus Christ that sounds terrible, and all from something so simple! Just goes to show you can't be too careful. I hope you didn't get your leg amputated.

The worst I did was get stitches on the palm of my hand when my brother ran into me when I was using a knife to trim a prop. He's broken at least half of them so far, with some I never bothered to remake/salvage.

>> No.6733856

i wore five-inch platform heels for a costume at anime boston 2009. my toes were killing me but i didnt pay them much attention since I was running around having fun and shit. Take them off at the end of the day, and my big toes were throbbing and bleeding under the nail. Not pretty, and there wasn't much to do except wait for my nails to grow out.

at least i had no deadly leg infection though holy shit dude

>> No.6733863

One year I went to a cosplay picnic in the middle of May. I put on sunscreen, but I still ended up getting a second degree burn on my face and the con was the next day. I avoided all cameras and had to apply a medicated cream every two hours. It was embarrassing and icky. About half of the group at the picnic got burns, though. It was a randomly hot mid-May afternoon...

>> No.6733864

When I cosplayed Gogo Yubari my mace broke from the chain. I had to use the bow from my cellphone charm plush to tie it together. It was noticeable from up close but when it just randomly fell people were staring and it was real embarrassing |:

>> No.6733865

>>6733841
I think you won this thread before it even started. Jesus dude. How's your leg these days?

Worst cosplay injuries I've probably ever gotten were just blisters from footwear. A friend just had a resin casting accident recently though. The catalyst blew up in her face. Thankfully her eye isn't too bad.

>> No.6733869

I had this dumb idea to walk around almost barefooted (there was only a thin tough fabric between my feet and the ground), so I had sore feet with little blisters in about an hour. I didn't have enough time to find scrap shoes to put inside the Domo cosplay I made, though after covering up the blisters I shoved some sandals I brought when I want to have a break outside the suit -- no idea why I didn't thought of doing it sooner, such a dummy.

Oh, and bruised sore shoulders from wearing the Domo cosplay. The way it was held up high enough was that there were foam boards inside pushing up the head and resting on my shoulders. At first it was fine, but after some hours they became quite rough on me.

Oh well, that cosplay is pretty retired.

>> No.6733872

One of my first cosplays I had made these boots and used a staple gun for some part on the lip which, after walking around all day the staples came loose and I wasn't aware that I was bleeding profusely until later that night.
Yeah, never again.

>> No.6733874

>>6733856
ugh this is the first con where i didnt have that happen. I always bruise/get blood under my toe nails or have them break so they fall off after a few months. Theyre finally healed

>> No.6733884

FUCK FIBERGLASS

FUCK

>> No.6733889

>>6733884
Care to elaborate? I've never used it personally, so I'm interested.

>> No.6733892

Ever been burned by a soldering gun? You don't want to be. And if you are burned by that or anything else, yellow mustard is a miracle.

>> No.6733900

>>6733889
Imagine tons of tiny invisible shards of glass imbedding into your skin.

That's fiberglass

>> No.6733906

>>6733900
O-oh........

>> No.6733911

I was wearing really tall heels for a costume and managed to fall down the stairs.

Didn't break anything, but I sprained my ankle and wrist pretty badly.

>> No.6733912

>>6733889
THE ITCHING, CHRIST.

the cloth stuff is so horribly tempting, ooh, so smooth and shiny-looking, right? wrong. it is made of a million needles of hell and no matter how many gloves or how many layers or how many goggles you wear, that stuff IS going to get caught in your clothes. there will be no getting it out. you may have relegated those sweatpants and t-shirts to scrap workout clothes and sent them through the wash a million times over but some of those fibers will still be there, ready to fuck you up on your squatz

also it smells dank and is just too sticky to work with ugh. i was really dumb back then and i regret it immensely

>> No.6733913
File: 97 KB, 720x960, jessica_nigri_power_tools.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6733906

>> No.6733918

>>6733912
Just damn, what are you suppose to wear while working with fiberglass? Special suits?

>> No.6733920

>>6733912
>>6733913

Hearing your story, I'm guessing she was itchy for a month, then.

>> No.6733938
File: 86 KB, 413x667, adamkadamon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6733849
>>6733850
>>6733865
Yeah, it's fine now. The scar from having it drained was ugly and purple for a year but it faded to white.
Mostly I'm sad because I can't wear the costume again. Pic related (yeah, I know, I look stupid, my brain was cooking and standing still on stilts is hard).

>>6733884
FUUUUUUCK, THIS. SO MUCH. The chemical burns from the resin, the skin irritation from the glass cloth, the "oh hey I sealed the inside of this piece of armor enough, right? I'mma try it on OH JESUS BIG GLASS SPLINTER IN MY FLESH AAAAARGH".
You will spend the entire project being continuously injured.

>> No.6734050

The other day I was mocking up a pattern for a ball gown I'm wearing later this year, and while I was stitching it together, I notice this little reddish brown patch on the muslin (thanking my lucky stars it wasn't the real fabric!!). I looked over the rest and it was all over the place. Finally I check my hands and apparently I had cut my index finger open on the inner side while cutting out the pieces and didn't notice.

>> No.6734326
File: 2.11 MB, 350x233, ibfXNHakwKZtUv.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I burn my fingers on Wonderflex every time. I cannot find a good pair of gloves that the Wonderflex wont stick on to. Last year I was brushing bondo dust off my workdesk and I didn't see my exacto knife and impaled my ring finger on the tip right on the fleshy part. Blood, blood everywhere. I probably should've gone to the hospital. Then same year I finger pricked myself on the exacto knife I was sitting cross-legged and went to reach over to grab my sculpting tool when heating wonderflex with a heat gun. When I reached over the top of my thigh touched the metal tip of the heat gun and burned the shit out of me. Left a crescent shaped brand.

>> No.6734340

I was pinning my fabric and had to reach over to get my scissors and ended up somehow tripping on air. I fell on my pins and pin cushion and they embedded in to my arm.

Another time I was just not paying attention and grabbed the iron the wrong way.

Sewing furr, my needle snapped and stabbed my cheek.

The worst was I was spray painting a helmet and came back in to the kitchen and set the can down. Our cat ended up jumping up on the fridge and knocked our rice cooker off of it and it fell just perfectly that the can exploded. It was red paint so when my husband came out after I screamed he thought someone was murdered. Took so long to clean that mess up.

>> No.6734356

>>6733918
Tyvek coveralls work pretty well,

>> No.6734383

First anon post takes the fucking cake.

I've gotten hot glue burns and sliced my finger with my xacto knife, but the worst i've had was fanime 2012. My friend wanted me to make her Kyoko spear so I did it. I fucked up the construction and I had to remake it the night before con weekend. I was half awake and working on a cardboard Zoids outfit afterwards. I called it quits when I finally cut my finger open from a pair of scissors. They weren't even that sharp. I decided to go to bed after because i didn't feel it pinch my finger and cut it open.

>> No.6734915

>>6733841
O-ow. That sounds absolutely horrible.

One time at a convention I got this pretty big gash right above my knee, and never noticed until it was bleeding down my leg and a friend pointed it out to me. To this day I still don't know what the hell happened

>> No.6735462

Haha an hour ago a 4x4 piece of glue fell on my hand. Hand has been submerged for an hour and still hurts (2nd degree burn aw yiss). Got my grandfather to fetch me some stuff from the store/consult the nurse there.

I think this is an industrial glue gun....... Its new, you see.

>> No.6735477

This is more artists alley related but I was passing the button making machine to one of my friends and my thumb got caught in the moving bit- everyone was freaking out but luckily the person in the next booth over was really calm and helped me get it off. There wasn't much bleeding but I didn't have any sensation in the tip of my thumb for two months.

>> No.6736702

>>6733856
I had this kinda happen with my boots. Not really my fault because my roommate stole my other pair of shoes. . .

Half asleep fixing the linning of a robe before convention. Fabric scissors puts a 3 inch gash in my hand, isn't very deep though. So it's scabbed over by sunday, re opens cut on grass during a shoot.

I wasn't even aware grass could do that...

>> No.6736752

I had to wear high heels for the 2nd cosplay I ever did. I had never worn heels before, and everything quickly turned into a bloodbath. After that con I could barely walk for a week because of the pain.
0/10 would not try again

I've also had a few cosplay parts break while at a con. Some pants ripped because they were too freaking tight and a prop once broke right before it was my turn to show up on the stage for the cosplay show. It was pretty lame.

>> No.6736779

One of my friends fell off the stage last year, fractured her arm and leg. She had to get metal plates put in because one of the fractures was in the ball and socket joint, the other under her knee-cap so she couldn't get plaster.
She was bed bound for two months, she still reckons the pain was nothing compared with the sleep deprevation she suffered because they kept making her share rooms with demetia patients and old people.
She got her meds fucked up too so she was hallucinating and having some pretty chronic nightmares.
We call her a "hardcore" cosplayer because she has these scars from the metal plates

>> No.6736784

Almost got heat stroke at my first NYCC.

Also almost got hit by a cab during the same NYCC, but that was my fault for running through traffic.

>> No.6736803

Wore some shorts under a cosplay at otakon. Apparently there was some sort of...elastic that was rubbing and I didn't notice til evening.
Chafed everything. Everything. From my V to my A. It was disgusting. Would've sworn paint was peeling down there it was so bad. Walked like a crab after that.
Kero ball at katsucon cracked...
Sword broke at anime usa..
Wore boots that I had stupidly not broken in and blistered my feet.
Burned self with a hot glue gun, instamorph (boiled the water like an idiot), and an iron because I was fixing some patches.
Poked myself with pins while sewing and while unfolding some fabric my cat (attacked me like some invisible predator) sunk his nails into my flesh.

Chafing was the worst.

>> No.6736806

Went outside to begin painting some stuff for a cosplay. My shed's got an obstacle course in the form of my garden in front of it, so I was navigating this when I look down to see a fucking huntsman running towards me. I screamed, ran for the house, ran smack bang into the glass window, fell to the floor, looked over... and what was sitting next to my hand but another fucking huntsman. More screaming, got inside, looked at my hand, and I'd cut the damn thing open on a nail.

I got my brother to dispose of the spiders whilst I nursed my injuries, but seriously, fucking spiders. Fucking Australia. /Fuck/.

>Moral of the story, don't move to Australia.

>> No.6736817

>>6736806
>googled huntsman spider
Sweet mary mother of fuck.

>> No.6736840

>>6736817
Yeah, don't google that shit in the future..

>> No.6736848

Nail gun'd hand to a piece of wood.

Don't remember why I was using a nail gun at 4 am, but hey, cosplay.

>> No.6736865

there was a steampunk-er who got crashed under the weight of all the cogs and gears he'd hung off his costume. In total, his costume weighed like 400 lb

>> No.6736870

Oh this will be fun.

Please note: I am a good ol'boy from the south. Please note that the injuries I have sustained should warrant medical attention, not butterfly bandages and iodine tincture, which is what I do, like all the time.

I'll keep these all costume or general geekery related:
Have routinely sliced my fingers open, sometimes to the bone.
Dropped my xacto and had it embedded into my foot (quite literally sticking straight up, half inch deep)
Burn marks from hot glue, hot air guns etc.
Sprained ankles from various cons.
Brused two ribs from having a person bump into me, me fall, and hit a chair right in the chest.

Have a scar on my leg from massive hot glue burn.
Have a scar on my ankle from a electric screw driver dropping bit first on it.

Got a half inch scar on my face from a boffer sword fight that went horribly right.

It's weird, hobby knives don't hurt anymore. I think its mostly because people freak out when they get injured, at this point now I just barely feel it and its more of an annoyance than anything.

>> No.6736906

I'm in the process of working on my first Cosplay ever, so I've yet to injure myself on that front -

But, my family owns a fabric shop so even as a whee little kid I've been around industrial sewing and embroidery machines. Last year while embroidering hats for my EVE Online corporation I managed to somehow catch my pinky finger in a needle downstroke.

At 4:00 A.M., alone, on a Saturday night.

I screamed by dick off.

>> No.6736942

>>6736806
Yea I've already planned to never go to Australia for a holiday cause my fear of spiders is pretty bad. :P

>> No.6737426

I tried to break in some heels for Sailor Venus by walking from my apartment to campus, about a twenty minute walk. My heels kept rubbing against the back and I didn't think much of it because I had a pair of tennis shoes that's done that to me before. Worst that happened was some skin turning raw and red. Big mistake. By the time I got to campus my jeans, shoes and heels were covered in blood. Could not walk properly for the next two days and rubbing alcohol on them burned like the devil.

>> No.6738097

Worst I had was my sewing machine falling on my balls and having to go to the hospital. I was working on a cape and my cat saw some loose fabric she thought looked nice, pulled it, and...yeah. She's 11kg and had no problem toppling the machine.

Other than that it's mild stuff like blisters, poking myself with needles, and mild burns from irons and such.

I was once stabbed with some Kirito's sword, though. He was puling it out of the holster in a crowded area and jabbed me in the side (where I have a poorly healed scar). It wasn't a sharp sword at all, and he apologized profusely, but that didn't change the fact that my scar had opened up and half my cosplay was covered in my blood.

>> No.6738103

Today I stepped on a needle and it was lodged in my foot. Not as bad as the others here but it hurt :(

>> No.6738108

I had a hot glue burn on my boob. That hurt. It's still scarred.

>> No.6738111

>At fairly small, local convention with friends
>Hotel has booked most rooms to con goers
>Wearing gown which has *slight* train, leaving room to go wander the halls
>stairway into lobby is crowded, cut through middle with group
>catch heels in train on stairs into lobby
>eat tile in front of everyone entering the hotel or mingling

Turns out, I also broke my wrist trying to catch myself on the way down. We thought it was a bad sprain at first, but my friend's parents insisted on taking me to the ER when we met up with them for dinner later and they saw how swollen it was.

>> No.6738171

Every single cosplay sword I've made has tasted blood.

My blood, while I've been making them. I suck at utility knives.

>> No.6738338

>>6738171
Nicely done - at least you get that realistic blood splatter effect though, eh?

>> No.6738346

>>6738338
Nah, it's too small and too little blood to look good, and most of the time it's partway through making it so I haven't painted/finished it yet anyways.

also I was like 2 seconds away from closing this tab before you replied, weird

>> No.6738551

Bumping for pain.

>> No.6738563 [DELETED] 
File: 801 KB, 699x520, yayneedles.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was working on my madoka dress and for some reason either needles I bought where shit or that piece that I was working on had too many layers but I broke at least 6 needles working on that stupid costume.

And when I say break I mean that the needles broke at such an incredibly force that they were flying across the room and being embedded in the wall. I have a small sliver of a scar scar on my shoulder from where one caught me. After one nicked my under the eye I was ready to dig my own grave.

I actually ended up accidentally sewing part of a broken needle into the bodice and it's still there because I refuse to remove it.

pic is of one of 4 cuts received from flying shrapnel

>> No.6738569
File: 801 KB, 699x520, yayneedles.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was working on a Madoka dress and for some reason either the needles I bought where shit or the piece that I was working on had too many layers but I broke more than 2 sets of needles working on that stupid costume.

And when I say break I mean that the needles broke at such an incredible force that they were flying across the room and embedding themselves in the wall. I have a small sliver of a scar scar on my shoulder from where one caught me, but I had countless other cuts/scrapes. After one nicked my under the eye I was ready to dig my own grave and just give up on the costume but stuck through it.

I ended up accidentally sewing part of a broken needle into the bodice and it's still there because I refuse to remove it and it hasn't cut me yet.

pic is of one of 4 cuts received from flying shrapnel

>> No.6738597

>>6738097
And up until now I had thought the worst parts about the combination of cats and cosplay were broken/chewed props and having to move them off the pattern pieces every five seconds.

>> No.6738662

i was cutting out pieces for a weapon out of foamboard. the xacto knife blade was pretty dull so i had to use a lot of force to get it to cut. plus i was tired. suddenly the blade slipped from the foambord and impaled and sliced not one but two fingers of my other hand that had been holding the foamboard in place. i bled profusely but it was just days before the con so i wrapped my fingers in tape and gauze and kept working while i continued to bleed. it scarred pretty nicely. should have gotten stitches.

>> No.6743037

>>6736702
they're not called "blades" of grass for nothing

>> No.6743108

You said no hot glue gun burns but I think this one's slightly more extreme? In 2009 I had to make a pair of tights with ribbons going up the sides. I decided to use hot glue and managed to get up an entire leg without any burns. On the very last ribbon, right up in my inner thigh, it started to feel really hot but I pushed through it so I could get this one last part attached. I'm not sure how long I held it in place, but after I took it off there was a large blister on my inner thigh. Because of how high it was on my leg, I couldn't really run it under water and give it proper treatment other than rubbing aloe on it. I didn't bother going to the doctor because I thought it would take care itself pretty quickly but apparently not.

It has only recently begun to fade, but remains an elevated bump on my leg which appears to be filled with pus (I don't think it actually is, since my doctor probably would have said something when I had gone in a month after getting it...). I used to be really worried that it would look like an STD and no one would ever love me. Even though it's finally healing a bit years later, I doubt it'll ever go away completely so thanks 2009 self for making ugly tights i guess

>> No.6743165

>>6733913
Didnt someone try to write an article defending this bitch saying she 'boo hoo, had to post a photo of herself with power tools to prove she was making her own costume'
Bitch doesnt make her own shit. No one works with tools (and is that fiber glass??) with short shorts and a tank top.

>> No.6743533

I was once cutting wire to put in a hat and caught my fingers in the handle. I got a nasty blood blister two nights before ALA and it was huge and sore and disgusting for weeks. I was lucky the costume had gloves. And back when I was a cosplay noob, I used that laserjet tattoo paper. After the con, I was in the bath, pulling it off my leg, and a huge piece of it ripped off and left a scar for a few months. I can't even count how many times I've stabbed myself with pins and the like.
>>6738569
Sounds like you're using the wrong needles for the project. If you're sewing through too many layers, use a stronger needle instead of forcing it through and breaking all your needles. I'm honestly kind of surprised you just kept letting needles break and fly at you instead of trying a different needle...you should also loosen the thread tension a little when you're sewing something especially thick.

>> No.6743554

I was sewing a waist sash for a costume, and I miscalculated the measurements so when i tried it on it got stuck over my shoulders. While attempting to get it the fuck off of me, it twisted around my neck. Yes, I nearly strangled myself because I'm an idiot who thinks that her waist measurement is the same as her bust and shoulder measurement. Luckily I managed to cut it off before I cut off my breathing.

>> No.6743834

during sakura-con I was wearing a fake beard and
I'm pretty sure I had an allergic reaction to it.
weirdest rash I have ever seen.

>> No.6743920

>>6733864
tbf that sounds pretty cute/something she would do

>> No.6743932
File: 117 KB, 880x359, failwingsmcderpface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No real wounds for me.
But this was what happened when I lost the Great Katsucon Gazebo Battle with some girl, then wasn't careful with the wind as I walked down to The Awakening

Ignore the awful face I'm making, horribly done back brace, wind blown hair and just about everything else in this picture. They had already just stopped moving like they were supposed to (They were made to be spread), and then the one wing just sort of snapped off in the wind.

I've sliced myself open on Conchita, sewing pins. Gotten expanding foam all over my hands. Nothing like almost losing my leg, though, Jesus.

>> No.6744273
File: 111 KB, 720x960, 298235_10150298351590017_1798489256_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Repeatedly zapped myself building and wearing this, does that count?

>> No.6744475
File: 118 KB, 960x720, 481941_568825263151061_1445070683_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cyanoacrylate glue burns, we get them when were sticking those small details on EVA foam.

>> No.6744669

Not a story about myself, but a Link cosplayer at Kitacon last year had to be hospitalised for some reason (I think broken/damaged ribs or spine?) after the cosplay chess. They had to completely tear his chain mail in half to get to his chest, poor guy.

>> No.6744748
File: 59 KB, 523x462, HNI_0009_JPG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

›be male
›have the pain threshold of a normal, non squirrel-brained human
›have neat work desk
›have a good supply of heat-proof, latex and rubber gloves
›always put xacto-knife blade down into foam when i stop using it
›have uneventful, successful building sessions.

heh fembots, top lel.

>> No.6744762

>>6733863
i feel you
during a convention last summer my entire shoulder/boobs/face area ended up being so sunburnt that I couldn't even touch any of it without literally crying from pain

>> No.6744774

Well.. I have given myself plenty of burns with a hot glue gun, especially when making 5ft wings. I had 2 glue guns going; my apartment is small so there was one plugged in on each side of the room. I ended up stepping on the second one and burning myself because I wasn't paying attention. I had a quarter size blister on my foot, along with ones all over my hands from gluing the feathers down. For that costume I also had to hand stitch a part because it was too thick to go through my machine. Ended up with even more blisters from that. My hands looked like I put them in fire after that costume.

I have also sliced myself open a few times working with razor blades. Gotten expanding foam on my skin which burns, super gluing my fingers together accidentally without any acetone in the house to remove it, knocking the iron over and stupidly catching it. Recently I have been working with fiberglass and got chemical burns from the resin, and have fiberglass forever embedded in my legs. I have stabbed myself with a seam ripper while trying to get apart a tough seam.

Don't even get me started on the footwear at cons. I have had so many blisters. I have fallen down while wearing really high heels and hurt myself. The only cosplay mishap I have is when I first started cosplaying, I made a bodysuit once. The back seam started to rip open at con. I ended up safety pining it shut for the rest of the day, and the pins dug into my skin and left me blisters.

>> No.6744897

Ended up with a sewing machine needle going straight through my finger tip, and breaking off.

Went to the ER with the black thread still poking out from one end. Ended up having to sleep the night with the broken needle in my finger.

Next day I went to a hand surgeon in the middle of a snowstorm, and they had a specific needle removal tool that was capable of removing it.

That was fun.

>> No.6745030

I was putting plastic tent poles inside the channels of some organza butterfly wings, and the pole snapped in half and flew at my face. Bounced off my safety glasses but split my lip and chipped half of my front teeth right off.

>> No.6745045

I'm pretty tank, and went as Goku to this convention once, and some skinnyfat kid in a Naruto outfit took that as a pre requisite to punch me in the face out of the blue thinking I somehow actually have the teleporting response time of an actual Saiyan.

Never raged and went hulk mode so fast in my life on someone.

>> No.6745574

About five years ago, I was trimming a wig and I snipped off a section when my hand was a bit too close. Caught a good chunk of my palm. Did it right before Fanime, so I had my hand wrapped in gauze and junk during most of the convention, but it healed up pretty quickly. I still have a V-shaped scar though.

>> No.6745618

>>6733920
She was, but not from the fiberglass, dhohoho.

>> No.6750607

Bumping for tales of gore.

>> No.6750626

Awhile back, I was hand sewing something(I forget what exactly) but, me being a dumbass, I wasn't using a thimble. Instead I was trying to push the needle through with the nail on my left middle finger. The nail is kind of disfigured due to an injury from when I was a tiny tot. My brother had ran the tip of my finger over with his skateboard. The nail now grows with a high arch and large gap, it's also thicker then my other nails, even my thumbnails.
So anyway, I was pushing down on the needle and it slipped, I looked down to find the eye end of a fairly large needle pushed almost to the quick(sp?) of my nail. It actually wasn't as bad as it looked, and only really hurt if you applied pressure.

Interestingly enough, while my finger was healing, the part of the nail that was where the needle went under turned white, cracked, and broke away. The skin underneath was fine, but my nail looked weird, pretty much split vertically. The nail eventually grew out and it looked like it never happened.

>> No.6750630

>>6750626
I- I twitched...

>> No.6750632

>>6738171
Wait, I just realized that my hands stayed intact the entire time I was making the sword I just finished yesterday.
Should I take one for the team to keep the record unbroken?

>> No.6750633

>>6750632
Yes. Stick your hand on the glue gun just for cosplay.

>> No.6750645

>>6750633
O-okay...

Wait, but I don't even use glue guns for swords, nor would that even draw blood. I'm unsure this would work.

>> No.6750647

>>6750645
Use your sword, then!

I was kidding. It's a good thing you didn't hurt yourself. Maybe the sign will change from "0 cosplays since the last injury" to 1 finally!

>> No.6750668

>>6750630
It was one of those cases of "It looks worse then it was" The one time that really DID hurt like a bitch was when I dropped and entire glob of hotglue on my leg. My brain went into dumb mode of gluing something right above my bare leg. I'm a mega klutz so I can't even find the scar from that since my knees have plenty of other scars.

I've done worse to myself, like when I was younger and cut my fingertip off while cutting a carrot, stabbing the top of my foot with a shard of broken mirror, and kicking a rather heavy sewing machine case(with said machine inside) that took a large chunk of skin off the front of my toe.

Yet somehow I've never broken a bone even though I trip over thin air. Not even the time I got in a rear end collision at 50mph. All I got out of that was a sore neck for a day and a small burn from the airbag.

>> No.6750672

>>6750668
I'm glad it didn't hurt. They used to put needles/splinters under your nails as a form of torture, which is why I twitched. I've had splinters under my nail that hurt like a bitch.

Also, jeez. Glad you weren't hurt from the car crash.

>> No.6750686

>>6750672
It probably didn't hurt because it happened so quick and cleanly. Truth be told, medical needles scare the hell out of me.

Also I am too, the people I hit were okay too. The brunt of the crash was absorbed by the front of my car and their back mounted spare wheel. During the crash I was more terrified that they were hurt then I if was. Especially when I found out there was a kid in the back seat of their car.

>> No.6750895

>>6743932
>Great Katsucon Gazebo Battle
please tell this story?

>> No.6750897

I stepped on my heat gun once. that sucked.

also my first time sewing with vinyl, but before i knew what leather needles were, I snapped about seven normal needles on my vinyl. the bits that were flung past my eyes freaked me out quite a bit.

>> No.6750909
File: 9 KB, 150x139, ALL YO YENS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I piledrived my friend into a concussion while cosplaying as Rey Mysterio.

>> No.6750943

There was this one time where the needle of my sewing machine broke and when I wanted to change the needle I totally forgot that my foot was was still on the pedal....the broken needle went straigt through my finger. It hurt like a bitch.

>> No.6750949

The worst injury I've sustained while working on cosplay was received while I was carving a prop with pocket knife. All was going well until I hit a knot JUST at the point where I was going to pull the blade back and go for another stroke. So instead of stopping and starting another stroke, the knife gets stuck in the knot and I close the knife onto my finger, going about half way into my index and striking the bone. I wanted to bandage it up and go back to my business. My folks said otherwise and I ended up going to the ER to have my finger sewn shut.

Good times~

>> No.6751619

I used some kind of spray-can and lighter combination and made a pretty cool looking flamethrower. Would've been awesome if I didn't put myself on fire in the middle of the convention and had to take all my clothes off.

>> No.6751651

>>6751619
You should've known better...

>> No.6752351

>>6751619
Tell us more! How did you not get permabanned from that con?

>> No.6752603

I've twisted my ankles by getting my France shoes caught in cracks. The heels on the shoes are tiny and when they're not poking holes in the grass they're getting caught in cracks. My Kamina shoes always cause sores on the sides of my feet and my Warden shoes actually rubbed a few layers of skin off on the back of my feet, and caused a huge scab to appear under my toe nail. I keep my nails painted now to hide it.

I've been glomped and knocked down as Russia, and I've been chased 'til I ran into a wall as Russia. I've poked myself in the eye while applying make up and I've sweated until make up leaked into my eyes and made them burn for a while. I've been hit with other peoples' props and I have done my fair share of whapping people accidentally with my flag, sword and cane.

I also have to be careful with how I adjust my wig cap. My hair is really thick and curly so it causes a strain on the cap, making it extra tight. If I don't adjust it properly, I'll end up with angry red marks for a few days and a killer head ache.

>Captcha: Accursed Wigivia

>> No.6752664

No horrible physical harm, I guess.

My first time ever cosplaying or cutting a wig, and I didn't have a wig stand, so I tried cutting my wig with it still on my head. I used the wig cap, but at the time I didn't have any pins, which was a huge mistake on my part since I ended up cutting off a huge chunk of my fringe which had slipped through the cap.

>> No.6752842
File: 520 KB, 1296x1296, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh man I have so many cosplay\crafting injuries it's ridiculous. Most recent happened In January. I was steam setting curls into a wig and my steamer malfunctioned and shot boiling water directly onto my hand. Instant deep second degree burn.

>> No.6752933

My friend dropped an iron on my foot the Thursday of a con, hurt like fuck the entire weekend. Thankfully it only hit on the bottom so it was less burning and more "that iron just fell 4 feet onto my foot".

Also the first time I wore heavy body makeup I passed out during the convention, face-first onto the floor. Thankfully I was at a phootshoot at the time so there were people around to pick me up and get me something to drink.

I also rather recently (during Katsu prep) took a strip of skin from my fingernail to my palm off while trying to slide some plastic pieces together to hold with glue. One slipped above the other and cut a huge line down my finger right into my palm. Thankfully it healed by the con.

>> No.6753154

>>6733892
Y-Yellow mustard?

>> No.6753165

We use to have an ancient ironing board in our house (that my mom would never let me replace because it was an heirloom) that I was terrified was one day doing to break.

I was working on a costume one day and was steaming on some deepset wrinkles out of cotton and had the iron of the maximum setting with maximum steam. I paused for a second to move the fabric over and the board collapsed which shocked me so much that the iron slipped from my fingers and landed heating element on foot.

>> No.6753168
File: 63 KB, 187x182, dipper2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6753154
Yellow mustard has been known to somehow effectively treat burns

>> No.6753175

The first time I cosplayed and went to a con, I went as Rukia in her soul reaper garb and had some cheap black wooden sword I bought from one of those Tokyo stores they have at shopping centers. I found other people from Bleach, and the other Rukia asked to borrow my sword as we all posed for pictures, and all those people who were waiting in line for the exhibit hall saw me get hit in the eye with the end of my own sword from when the other Rukia cosplayer quickly moved to pose. I heard quite a few people go "oooohhh" and the next day a small bruise had formed under my eye.

So that was a memorable first day of my first con ever.

>> No.6753177

>>6753175
fff sorry for run on. I shoulda proof read before I submitted.

>> No.6753258

>>6752603
Oh gosh fellow Russia I know your pain.

Once when I was cosplaying Russia some crazy ass Belarus spotted me from pretty far away and started sprinting at me. My body caught up with my brain too late though, and by the time I tried to run away from her she was fairly close. She grabbed my scarf as it trailed behind me and I fell on my back. She then got on top of me and started to nuzzle my face as I struggled to breathe. I had a bruise on my neck for a couple of weeks after that.
Never cosplaying Russia again.

Other than that I keep getting needles though the fleshy part of my fingers and once i snipped the tip of my middle finger off with pinking sheers. Still no clue how that one happened.

>> No.6755446

I think I've worst I've had is several cuts from an exacto knife and some hot glue burns. Haven't done any crazy props yet so I guess I just haven't had time to get injured through cosplay?

I have enough injuries from work to make up for it though.