[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 291 KB, 500x630, tumblr_mfvq0hqPtE1r8wexro1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6719292 No.6719292 [Reply] [Original]

I'm hoping /cgl/ has experience with hair dye?

I'll probably be using Manic Panic dye to attempt this, but I am not sure which colors to mix!! How can I achieve this deep turquoise-y color?

>> No.6719294

blue+green

go back to elementary art class.

>> No.6719336

I'm pretty sure you can just buy Atomic torquise from manic panic....

>> No.6719385

Don't use Manic Panic. It's shit.

>> No.6719412

Don't use manic panic. The absolute best hair dye for odd colours is SFX. (special effects hair dye)

It's vegan, as well, if you're worried about that.

>> No.6719431

jerome russells punky color stays in.. but its teal becomes green adn the green is really hard to get out and lasts for months and months. Id recomend it for colors like pink and purples

>> No.6719506

that looks close to MP's Enchanted Forest to me! i like using this gallery to see how different colors look. i use Pravana on my hair though.

http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/mp-enchantedforest.html

>> No.6719561

>>6719431
Every teal I've tried is like this, they stick around forever, but as ugly swampy green colours, I've tried washing with H&S/harsh shampoos, bleaching it out and colour b4 remover and nothing will get rid of it. So don't expect to ever go a lighter colour again without growing out your hair.

>> No.6719709

After midnight blue goes that colour on black hair bleached to ginger blonde.

>> No.6720252

to get a color that's a bit unsaturated and semi-natural looking like that all you need to do is use a typical teal hair dye over hair that is an unbleached shade from around dirty blonde to medium brown. If you have very dark or light hair, use standard haircolor to get it to a natural shade in that range before adding the teal.

>> No.6720272

>>6719385
This. I just tried N' Rage hair color and it came out exactly as the box directed it would. So pretty!

>> No.6720551

Only because I have successfully dyed my hair this colour.

I have medium brown hair so I -
>bleached it using a 20vol bleach (20vol due to thin hair [use 20vol if you have dark blonde hair] if you have thick hair up it to 30vol).
> Wash the bleach out throughly, your hair should feel and look like straw - don't panic it'll recover
> Pat dry hair so it is just damp with an old towel
> Get your dye (I'll provide a list of what I have used in the past at the end) and follow the instructions
> Wrap your head in cling/saran wrap and let it bake for at least two hours - it lets the colour really saturate the hair, as you hair has just taken a bleaching it will suck up that colour. basically you need to virtually stain your scalp
> Wash hair with a colour friendly shampoo twice. The first time to just get rid of the excess dye. The second time to help clean your scalp. Washing the second time helps cleaning the actual hair and dye residue. >Watch your clean shower/sink transform into a giant stain
> Conditioner for you hair, use one for damaged hair and let it sit in your hair for at least 30 minutes. Cling/Saran wrap to keep the heat in - heat helps the absorbtion
>Rinse with warm water until the water runs clear then rinse in cold water.
>Pat dry hair with old towel and then wrap in towel to keep your head warm or use a leave-in-conditioner to help with frizz and gentle on the comb work
> Clean your shower/sink that you rinsed your hair in - Your family/housemates will thank you for it or if you live by yourself it will stop the surface from being permanently stained.
>Try not to wash your hair for at least three days to allow your hair to recover with it's own natural oils
>IMPORTANT: Wrap your pillow in a towel or a an old pillowcase that you don't care about staining for the next week.

>> No.6720582

>>6720551
And because my comment was too long.
Brands I have used -
Manic Panic: I mainly used the reds with mixed results. I found the best result was when I used their bleach and pre dye. If I used another type of bleach the colour would fade very quickly or wouldn't be as dark as image shown

Fudge: I have a love/hate relationship with this brand. When they first came out they were excellant but now they seem crappy.

LaRiche Directions: Had the best results with this brand mainly in the purples, greens and turquoise. Alpine Green will get you that nice deep teal-green in your image. Also it fades really nicely and evenly

Over all blues fade the fastest. Next the reds.
This has been my experience. I have friends who still dye and most of them go for either Manic Panic or Directions

Hope this helps and that I didn't bore you

>> No.6720632

>>6719506
I was going to guess the same thing!

This may help picking too:
http://www.hairdyegallery.co.uk/Gallery-allcolours.html#section8

>>6719292
I've used Manic Panic before and loved it - but for different hair textures and conditions, other brands can be better or worse for you. Special Effects is much loved as is LaRiche Directions. If you are really committed to the color, don't follow the directions on the packaging - you'll need to leave it on for a really long time to get a very long-lasting saturated color.

This is a pretty good little guide -

http://www.thedaintysquid.com/2011/04/hair-tips-and-tricks-part-two-dye.html

I've been dying my hair bright colors for over a decade and has basically what I've been doing with good results.

>> No.6720639

Ion color brilliance makes a teal color.

>> No.6720643

Manic Panic is shit, dont bother with it. Special Effects is pretty great. I used their Fishbowl to fix my horribly faded Manic Panic and it was awesome.

>> No.6720652

La Riche Directions in Alpine Green and Atlantic Blue.

>> No.6720659

>>6720643
Manic Panic works fine for like weekly touchups until you want to redo the entire thing. That's wut I did with the MP platinum shit.

>> No.6720752

>>6720659
Platinum looks terrible on you, you're far too pink-toned.

>> No.6720820

>>6719292

I'm pretty sure she used La Riche alpine green.

>> No.6720828
File: 12 KB, 300x300, 41ifHW7sbFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6720820

Here's a swatch pic

>> No.6720861

Has anyone had experience with crazy colors aubergine? I looked around but got mixed reviews.

>> No.6720913

>>6720820
Most likely. If you want to go down the SFX route I'd say Sonic Green by them is the closest to this sort of deep teal green. Would be willing to put a large amount of money on OP's pic being La Riche Directions Alpine Green though.

>> No.6720918

I love the rockabilly look, but it's such a huge commitment that I just can't do.

>> No.6720927

>>6720918
>I love the [insert fashion here] look, but it's such a huge commitment that I just can't do.

Hyup.

>> No.6720928

>>6720927
charming.

>> No.6721853

I have used Ion - Color Brilliance
I've found it to last longer than Manic Panic.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/ion-color-brights/ION153,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05

>> No.6721936

Does anyone know if hair toner effects other hair dyes? i have bleached hair but also dyed my bangs and face frame black.. if i started using toner on my hair would it affect the black part?

>> No.6722559

Always think about this, why does no one ever suggest a hairdresser?

>> No.6723027

>>6721936
No, toner will only take over very light blonde hair, no need to worry.
>>6722559
Hairdressers rarely know anything about unusually coloured/vegi-dyes because 99.99999% of their clientèle will never ask for anything of the sort. I have read some awful horror stories about hairdressers messing this kind of thing up.

>> No.6723031

>>6722559

I have naturally red hair and every hairdresser I've ever asked about dying my hair has flatly refused to and given me a list of reasons why it wouldn't be possible, including "I'd never touch red hair".

>> No.6723033

>>6722559
My experiences with hairdressers have shown most of them know nothing about dye that isn't your entire head and a natural color.

>> No.6723401

>>6723033
Even natural colour sometimes. They absolutely refused to bleach my friend's hair from a medium-ish brown to light blonde. They claimed it was "impossible". Lolwut?

I stupidly got mine bleached at a salon once, and they destroyed my hair. I had to wait for the straw-y mess to grow out to cut it all off.

>> No.6723429

>>6722559
Anon that wrote >>6720551 and >>6720582 here.
I can recommend some hairdressers if the OP stated they were looking for them in say Australia.

Yes I have used a hairdresser to do this for me, and I went to hairdressers who actually did crazy colours to , their own hair. And looking back went back to doing my own or having a "hair day" with friends because it cost a fraction of the hairdresser fee and I get to sit in a comfortable area, drink and eat what ever I want without having to depend on the crappy mags for entertainment.

I also feel incrediblely self consious at a hairdresser, even if they maybe from the same subcultures. Also I have had some hairdressers talk me into some pretty dumb styles because I am all awkward.

>> No.6723623

>>6721853
i've had really good luck with ion too

>> No.6723630

>>6723429
>Also I have had some hairdressers talk me into some pretty dumb styles because I am all awkward.
Oh gurl are you me?
Never trust hair salons where every employee has a pixie cut. Never!

>> No.6723768
File: 269 KB, 900x1295, 1328071860941.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6722559
Super cuts wanted like $70 to dye my hair 1 natural color and I never even told them I wanted it two tone. Eff that.

>> No.6723803

>>6723768
why would you ever ever go to supercuts

>> No.6723903

Manic Panic is only good if you want to color for a day! Which is good for me because we can't have unnatural colored hair at work. It seriously washes out so fast, soooo i mean if you like to change your mind a lot go for it.

>> No.6723923

what's the best dye for a pastel purple? (plan to dilute with conditioner)

>> No.6723925
File: 351 KB, 1172x1364, hurr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Looks pretty green to me. Stargazers uv turquoise will fade to something similar. cheap and has Good staying power compared to other brands I've tried but that could just be me.
Clockwise from top - freshly dyed, after one wash, 5 washes, and then about two months worth of washes. it's also very pigmented so it mixes with conditioner well if you go for pastel shades. And I never had any trouble with it staining my pillowcases.

>> No.6723940

>>6723923
I'd try stargazers plume. I tried mixing pink manic panic dyes for pastels (tried their actual pastel dye too) load of shit. But stargzers is very pigmented in my experience.

>> No.6724145

>>6720551
How do you use those vol bleaches? I wanted to buy one before (because none of the hairstylists I go to want to bleach my fucking hair), but it didn't show instructions on the box. Or are they inside of it or are you just supposed to know or? Sage because dumb question.

>> No.6724244
File: 29 KB, 390x332, DirectionsColour Chart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6723923
LaRiche Directions Lilac

>> No.6724275

Odd question, but do those synthetic types of wigs (like ones you'd find at a halloween store or something) dye at all? Like I have a white wig but need to dye/bleach/spray it blonde, might it still work well?

>> No.6724857

>>6724145
Both the bleach and the developer have instructions, I cant remember which one has actual ones because the other is pretty much look at the other bottle dude. But you need both anyways so it isnt like you will be lost. It isnt really that complex, you mix the powder and the liquid stuff together (wahtever the amounts end up being) and put it on your head, doing ends first, leave the roots until all your hair is done as they go fast.

>> No.6725888

>>6724275
No, they will literally melt.

>> No.6725899

>>6724275
Wigs don't have the protective oils your hair has, so the chemicals in the dye will kill them. We're talking frying, wefts falling out, maybe even some melting
Don't do it

>> No.6725912

>>6720551
you should actually rinse dyed hair with cold water as it minimizes color running.

and you shouldn't shampoo your hair after dying it with there types of dyes. it even says so on the bottle.

>> No.6725921

hey thread
i just bleached my hair last week using what i guess was a 20 volume kit? i dunno, it was garnier brand and my mom had 3/4ths of a bottle left over and i have short hair so i went for it

it didn't do much damage to my hair but i did get a decent amount of lightening from it. my question is: if i bleach and dye my hair teal tomorrow using beyond the zone brand bleach/dye is my hair going to melt off?

should i do a deep condition afterward using some essential oils, also? sorry for all the questions, i've never really done anything with my hair that wasn't cut and dry right from the box standard results 100% gueranteed.

>> No.6725943

>>6724275
I think those from Directions could work, the swatch pics that they have are synthetic hairs

>> No.6725945

>>6725921
How light is it at the moment? You might be able to put a teal over it without having to bleach it again, or you might be able to cheat and do a bleach bath which would be much safer. If not, and you need to do a full head bleach you need to wait for at least a month. People are more than likely going to tell you it'll be fine but it's really not. You need to allow time for your scalp to heal especially as you have short hair.

Deep conditioning treatment is a yes. But you should never use any essential oils on your hair or skin, the only oils that do any good for your hair are argan oil, coconut and jojoba. A lot of people use olive oil but it doesn't actually help, just coats the hair and makes it look shiny. If you have any coconut oil or can be bothered to buy some, you should coat your hair in it and leave it on whilst you bleach

>> No.6725952

>>6725945
it's similar to this color, a bit lighter and considerably shinier. i think if i put a teal over it it would end up very dark and i'm not sure i would like the result from it. but i do have coconut oil, so i could definately incorporate that.

what is a bleach bath, how do i do that?

>> No.6725956
File: 123 KB, 500x750, fgdsfg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6725952
let me just not forget my picture this time.
my hair has more red tone to it than this person's seems to, just enough to make it look slightly like honey and a bit of brass mixed together.

>> No.6725960

>>6725912
Just writing what works for me.
Basically the reason why I shampoo and use warm water is to stop staining everything around me.

In the early days when I was in a rush I skipped the shampoo stage, went to a party and left a purple circle on the wall where I rested my head. Shampooed every since.

>> No.6725966

>>6725952
>>6725956
Ah yeah, that would end up quite dark, but I can see it getting plenty light enough with another bleaching. A bleach bath is a diluted mixture of bleach and shampoo, here's a tutorial: http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0

I don't think one would lighten it enough, but they're much less harsh than full bleach so you can do them every two weeks rather than every four.

>> No.6725973

>>6725966
ahh, okay. thanks anon. that looks like it would work well for my friend's hair as well, because her hair is superfine.