[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 257 KB, 602x321, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6706354 No.6706354 [Reply] [Original]

http://nerdcaliber.com/the-pursuit-of-cosplay-fame/

>It got me thinking about the emphasis we as cosplayers have been placing on fan pages and fan bases within the community. Lately, it feels like we’re starting to prioritize “fans” and “likes” over such archaic concepts as “passion” and “craftsmanship.” As cosplay has begun to garner the attention of mainstream media – landing us on reality shows and in national news coverage – have we started to approach this hobby more strategically? Are we still cosplaying for fun, or are we cosplaying for fame?

Your thoughts on this article and the overall movement for cosplayers trying to become famous?

>> No.6706391

Like it or not cosplay has graduated from sub-sub-culture status following the ungrading of manga as a sub-culture to an aspect of japanese culture. Since it becomes more mainstream and commonplace. It gains recognition from people who are outside of the community as well, who tend to judge it in a purely visual way. So sure, on social media, your number of likes indicate how much exposure you get, and how generally aesthetically pleasing you are, but from a cosplayer's perspective it should only be at most a rough indication of competence. I mean, it could give you an idea of how nice you look? (after all it is the end effect that we are mostly judged by) But it's not the be all and end all.

tldr: Public judges you visually, but as a cosplayer we should hold higher personal standards and look at other things as well. Just to be fair to others

>> No.6706397

Notice how the article was only talking about female cosplayers? It's like men don't exist.

>> No.6706421

>>implying this is a new phenomena

Did we all forget the girls of the early 2000s that tried to use cosplay as a gateway into being a model, you know, a real one?

>> No.6706424

>>6706397

How is this surprising? But when you notice guys get judged it's normally based on awesome and workmanship rather than physique and how beautiful they are. So which would you say is better?

>> No.6706430
File: 97 KB, 720x960, jessica_nigri_power_tools.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Am I the only one who saw the picture of Jnig and was thinking "Holy fuck what's wrong with you, that's fiber glass, why are you wearing a tanktop and shorts?"

>> No.6706452

>>6706430
Because she's not actually making anything. Also this thread is going to go full troll.

>> No.6706467

>>6706452
Then ignore the trolls. It's a decent article and raises a good issue in the cosplay community.

>> No.6706479

>>6706467
Look at all the threads on /cgl/ about how to get e-fame. Oh wait.

>> No.6706490

>>6706479
That's the how. The article is asking on the why and what changed in the scene.

>> No.6706500

>>6706490
Nothing has changed. See.
>>6706421

It's just a shitty "nerd" ezine like kootaco

>> No.6706539

>>6706430
I did wonder that, and I also wondered why she wasn't covered in dust, which most likely would have happened if she had been sanding - before realizing that it was fiberglass.

>> No.6706563

This is nothing new, it's just easier and more common because of the new forms of social media.

>>6706424
I disagree - how many 'unattracitve' or out of shape, male cosplayers are popular? No one cares about male craftsmanship either.

>> No.6706581

>>6706424
Guys don't get judged, they just get ignored.

>> No.6706585

>>6706354
We JUST had a thread about the whole "separating cosplay friends/fans and the friends you have outside the cosplay community by having a cosplay page" thing. Everyone who posted said they had a page not to be famous, but to organize their cosplay life from their every-day life.
I'm not even going to comment on the fact that the author of the article uses JNigs and Yaya Han as references.
At the end of the day, we'd all like to be famous for being awesome cosplayers. No matter what anyone who has a fan page says, part of the reason they have one is because they REALLY like the attention (myself included). But I think there's a point of no return where your physical appearance outshines your cosplay abilities, and then people stop caring as much about what you're cosplaying, as how much of your tits they can see.
I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never be as popular as most "famous" cosplayers simply due to the fact that I'm not skinny and my cosplays aren't all that revealing. The quality of ones work can only carry them so far these days.

>> No.6706600

>>6706563

How many male cosplayers are popular, period?

>> No.6706612
File: 197 KB, 478x720, manlet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6706600
Not nearly as many as females for obvious reasons, but those who are mostly base it totally off their bodies and looks.

LivingIchigo is a perfect example - he's a male Jnig, not making any of his unnecessarily revealing costumes and taking all the praise for them.

>> No.6706639

>>6706612

I've noticed he has actually been posting more wips than he did in the past.

>> No.6706668
File: 1019 KB, 394x259, ohcomeon.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always love when people say they only cosplay for the love of the character like they're doing everyone a favor and somehow I'm supposed to appreciate it more since their outfit isn't tainted by evil motivations. Get over yourself, your high horse is in and of it self a way for you to pat yourself on the back about your work.

>> No.6706666

>>6706600
Kaname, Volpin and Matt Mercer

>> No.6706678

Oh nothing new kinda of the way cgl is right now and all the people asking cosplay suggestions.

>> No.6706694

>>6706678
/cgl/ has gotten so may fucking newfags lately, it's almost painful.

I feel so old on this board anymore, and I'm only 24.

>> No.6706700

>>6706694
Why do people complain about this all the time? Recycle the same rhetoric for several years now and nothing has changed. Cosplayers from cgl have a problem with attracting too much attention.

>> No.6706706

>>6706700
I'm just saying that we have had a Homstuck thread on the front page of /cgl/ for months now, and I personally have never met anybody over the age of 21 who actually likes Homestuck.

It's bizzare. I feel like you don't really hit your stride in cosplay until you are in your mid 20s. At that point you have enough skills and disposable income and practice behind you to be really good at your craft, but I feel like despite that this board is filled with mostly 16 to 20 year olds and it kind of depresses me.

>> No.6706709
File: 1.86 MB, 608x352, 1362172986126.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jfc it's just a hobby. All cosplay will ever be for most people is a hobby.
Others like myself don't give a shit about how many "fans" or facebook likes we get, if we get any at all. For some of us it's about spending our extra money to have fun for a weekend while weebing out with people who share our interests.

And haven't we already established that people like Yaya, the 30 year old woman who's never had a real job and got implants for what is basically dress up time, are LOSERS? Like even worse than the socially retarded NEETs that do show up at conventions. Who cares if she's getting the attention and e-fame when she's queen of shit mountain? Cosplay just doesn't matter that much irl and it never will.
So even IF it's the case that all people want out of cosplay is some attention and e-fame, who cares? It's practically meaningless and it has no inherent value.
Even dumbshit Yaya that's been in this game forever still has trouble making it on even the most shitty reality tv shows.

>> No.6706713

>>6706709
>And haven't we already established that people like Yaya, the 30 year old woman who's never had a real job and got implants for what is basically dress up time, are LOSERS?

I personally admire Yaya for this. If I could not work and have cosplay be my full time job, I would do it. Living the dream.

>> No.6706719

>>6706713
>Living the dream
So it's your "dream" to gamble on making money for only as long as your looks hold out and people still take interest in
buying your cheap webshop trinkets?
That sounds like a stable and rewarding life for you that you can look back on and be proud of?

Setting the bar high today /cgl/..

>> No.6706723

>>6706719
I mean I have a college education that right now I'm not really doing anything with. I don't want kids, and I never plan on owning my own house, because like I said I never plan on having kids. If I can actually support myself doing something I love and I'm happy, who are you to call me or anybody else a loser? As long as I am happy, you can stay mad.

>> No.6706724

>>6706709
Hey, different anon, but I also think Yaya is living the dream. I think it's wise to have a degree in something to fall back on in case your cosplay career goes south as you get older, but as long as it holds out and you can make a living off of what most people have to treat as a hobby, then more power to you.

>> No.6706732

>>6706723
>>cosplay be my full time job

Just adding in here that its impossible for cosplay to be a "full time job." Cosplay itself is not a job. The only way you can make money is if you market yourself correctly, and frankly sell yourself a bit. Even then this is not a reliable job with set hours per week. There is no guarantee that you're going to make money, and hence the reason why Yaya has padding such as her online store and ad space to fall back on. I don't see a woman having fun. I see someone desperate and struggling to make ends meet whose initial hobby has turned into a necessary way of making a living by flashing T&A at every opportunity, and throwing your dignity in the garbage to be a walking circus.

And I feel so, so sorry for you that you have a college education yet you can't find anything better to do with it. How sad.

>> No.6706743

>>6706732
Are you like home schooled or something? Do you find ankles being exposed lewd?

>> No.6706752
File: 558 KB, 755x716, 1362810975975.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6706743
>comparing ankles to having your tits and ass hanging out on display
And you think I'm homeschooled? You must be trolling me now.

>> No.6706760

>>6706732
Yaya does have a job as a flight stewardess they make pretty good money afaik

>> No.6706770

>>6706760

Didn't she quiet after working a few months?

>> No.6706773

>>6706723
It's nice that you think you'll be able to do that but you had better have a solid backup plan or you're going to end up living in the guest room at your parent's house because your job is more of a money draining hobby that most people can't make a living off of alone.

>> No.6706847

>>6706732
>The only way you can make money is if you market yourself correctly, and frankly sell yourself a bit. Even then this is not a reliable job with set hours per week. There is no guarantee that you're going to make money
Plenty of jobs are like this. Not having a 9 to 5 isn't depressing. A job with some flexibility and creativity like Yaya's is better than what 90% of people will end up doing.

Shit, I don't even like Yaya, but acting like anything that's not salaried is desperate and not real work is just odd.

>> No.6706885

>>6706732
Cosplay is not a job but the cosplay subculture has gotten a lot more lucrative. Epic cosplay is now a legitimte wig shop meanwhile there's always costume, prop and wig comissions. You might still need to work a day job but if you can make bank off of something you love then why not?

>> No.6707174

Interesting enough, the SF Cherry Blossom festival has eliminated the cosplay contest for who gets on the float and will give out slots via raffle

>> No.6707197

I love how they used a picture of jessica working on her gears of war, but it was made out of craft foam.

>> No.6707211

This subject has been on my facebook of late and sparked this persons status

I remember a time when cosplay was a hobby. It was badly done but people still had a laugh and enjoyed themselves anyway. It was about a love of a character or show. Sometimes it helped artistic people like me express our creativity. It wasn’t a popularity contest. It wasn’t about who gets to be famous. It wasn’t about tits and ass. It wasn’t about drama. It was a community where people shared a common interest and encouraged others to explore new techniques. Everyone commented on each others progress. People had fun even in competitions which I don’t see as much these days. If cosplayers did become well know (which was incredibly rare) it was for they’re talent not for how much skin they showed.

While the social media increase has helped the community get a little bigger and more world wide it has encouraged a more negative beast. While the average skill level has increased where people are producing such beautiful pieces of work the level of jealousy has also increased. I honestly think that pages like the ‘like’ pages aren’t helping. I have no issue with the pages themselves but I do think they are adding to this growing problem.

I honestly am very sad with how cosplay has become these days. No one should be jealous of each other or fighting each other to see who is the best or most famous. The very community spirit which I loved is dying out because of these changes. To be frank, it is slowly putting me off being part of it.

part two in reply!

>> No.6707217

>>6707211

I would love it if it went back to the cosplay/costuming world I knew and loved. A world where I could be so many amazing characters and enjoy spending time with friends who shared that love. A world where people supported one another and appreciated amazing talent without the need to be bitchy or jealous. While the cosplay world I knew wasn’t perfect (there still could be the odd drama) it was one that I loved being part of.

Can we please stop destroying this amazing hobby that I have met so many lovely people through. Can we please turn it back to the community it once was. Thank you.

>> No.6707220

>>6706847
>Plenty of jobs are like this.
Haha oh really?
So you're telling me there's "plenty" of jobs that require you to photograph and market pictures of yourself with your tits showing, no insurance plan, no retirement plan, no set salary, no set hours; and that these jobs are highly coveted for the fact that you're spending your own money out of pocket to commission and advertise your own work with no guarantee of success or pay?
You're blowing my mind today cgl, you really are.

>> No.6707224

>>6707211
>>6707217
I am going to get serious shit for this post.

I feel like the major thing that has added to the drama is how readily available bought costumes and commissions are these days. People were more helpful back then because everybody actually made their own shit and could actually provide helpful information to each other.

Now it's just about people looking good and not really giving a shit about the whole craftsmanship aspect, so they have nothing really to add to a conversation other than how to look good in wearing something they bought.

>> No.6707232

>>6707224
I agree with you, even though some people will bitch about it. I also agree that a lot of it is due to how widespread social media is. Tons of people have realized they can become famous online with little work. This is part of why there's so much ridiculous jealousy leading to one-sided feuds and vendettas.

>> No.6707234

>>6707224

I totally agree

>> No.6707237

>>6707224
But most of the time the people who go down the ebay route or buy mass produced costumes don't look as good as someone who made theirs. Usually these type of cosplayers dont get asked those questions

>> No.6707240

>>6707237
It honestly depends on the type of costume and where it's from. Not all cheap eBay/TaoBao costumes are the satin monstrosities of days past.

>> No.6707255

>>6707240
God no I wasn't refering to but I'm well aware of the average costume quality that ebay costumes ship out and that's the problem, their average.

Oh don't get me wrong they doo look good and are pretty accurate but far too often they're not fitted right to the cosplayer and (more importantly) you look like every other person who bought the same outfit and don't really stand out.

TL:DR - Easy access to bought cosutmes means less people look horrible but you still need to make an effort to look good

>> No.6707263

and this goes back once again to the old school argument that things are never about rocking a kick ass costume for the sake of that you love the series. Now you ether want to cosplay something because A) you want attention B) want to get yourself over or C) get cosplay tail. I thought that stuff was secondary, a perk if you will, but now it's the norm and now we have people like most of the tripfags here who ether want attention, good or bad, to get themselves over.

>> No.6707282

>>6707255
Yeah but that's where looks and photography come in. Come on, JNig is not "famous" for her craftsmanship.

>> No.6707315

I know a girl who actually almost made her fiancee axe his best man because the guy in question wasn't kissing her ass on her cosplay fan page.

If you're validating your existence on how many people are kissing your dick about your costuming HERP DERP hobby, you have some issues that need to be worked out in therapy. Lots and lots of therapy.

>> No.6707334

>>6707263
>want to get yourself over
Apologies, but is this a Britfag term? Do you mean get famous?

>> No.6707347

>>6707220
>no insurance plan
>no retirement plan
>no set salary
>no set hours

How many jobs have you had? Do you know about all the many sorts of jobs there are? Maybe you should visit your school's careers advisory service.

>> No.6707351

>>6707334
that whomever is only there to promote themselves instead of celebrating the convention.

>> No.6707352

>>6706770
According to her twitter and instagram she still takes elite class delta flights, seems that she couldn't afford those if she didn't still work for them.

>> No.6707375

>>6706885
>if you can make bank off of something you love then why not?
It's really just a huge risk. Cosplays not going to be around forever - What happens if business starts to go down? You're left to find a "real" job and your only experience is making props in your garage/cutting wigs in your bathroom.

Dont get me wrong, people like Volpin and GSTQ really are living the life - getting to make money off of being creative but it's really risky for people who arent quite as established.

>> No.6707387

>>6707375
So? That's the art and/or modeling industries. Plenty of people do it. Cosplay is not very different from them apart from being more niche.

>> No.6707393

Two way street. Don't like it, don't contribute. Don't even give it a second glance.

>> No.6707452

>>6707282
She's not but no one is asking her for construction advice. There are plenty of people out there who make good stuff and get recognized for making good stuff

>> No.6707554

>>6707375
I think Volpin has a day job too, doesn't he?

>> No.6707592

>>6707554

Nope he took the jump about a year or two ago

>> No.6707594

>>6707554
Not anymore.
He makes enough to just be a prop maker now.

>> No.6707723

>>6706354
This is what made me give up cosplaying. It's just not fun anymore when everyone around me is drinking that same 'I'm gonna be cosplay famous' kool-aid.

>> No.6707764

>>6707723
You need to hang out with people who aren't in that mentality then.

>> No.6707828

>>6707211
>>6707217
I know this person and the response to this post is quite astounding. It appears that a large number of cosplayers do agree with this.

I have noticed that since this was posted that others have posted similar things.

I do agree with this. I cosplay purely for fun. I don't enter comps. I do it with friends and have a laugh. These days I'm inundated with page requests and likes contests and I'm getting sick of it.

>>6707224
The problem is that with this increase for the need for fame there is an increase in inpatientance so rather than make the costumes people are going out and buying them.

>> No.6707836

>>6707828
>It appears that a large number of cosplayers do agree with this.
That's sort of naive to say... In public of course they're going to say that, yeah. People never admit that they just want the attention, but that doesn't mean they don't.

>> No.6707889

>>6707836
True, but the quote was posted on a private facebook profile. Not everyone has agreed which is why I say 'large number' rather than 'everyone'.

Although, your reply does beg the question. How many who have then done similar posts are actually feeling this or are they jumping on a bandwagon.

>> No.6707893

>>6707836
>>6707889
Damn it! sentence mess up. It meant to read as "Although, your reply does make me want to beg the question,,,"

>> No.6707928

>>6707889
I was talking about this today too, but I have varying feelings about it. I don't believe it's inherently wrong to want cosplay fame and market yourself and such, but it's really how you handle yourself. Many cosplayers I know are starting to wander this way, and at first I was extremely supportive, but in their cases it's changed many of them for the worst. I've had friends admit to me that they abandoned all their old friends, good friends, because they'd rather be friends with popular cosplayers/artist alley vendors/con guests, and keeping ties with the old friends would just drag them down since they're not equally good cosplayers. I've also had people confide in me that they no longer even enjoy cosplaying, they're just looking for designs that'll get them attention. I wouldn't even mind that so much if they didn't continue on to rip on people who 'waste time and con space' by casually cosplaying, or even having a great costume but being ugly. That's when I really begin wishing people would remember how they started off the hobby, bright eyed noobs cosplaying characters they love

>> No.6707937

>>6707889
I guess, but considering how often private facebooks get posted here, I don't blame anyone for still lying to save face.

Being perfectly honest (and more to the broad topic of the thread), even though I share cosplay photos of myself I don't really like getting a lot of attention so I'm glad I'm mediocre enough to not be very known. I cosplay because I like to play dress up, essentially, and I do pick characters that I actually enjoy. I do photoshoots to see the character come alive through my work, and I like sharing appreciation for the character/work.
I started cosplaying in the mid-2000's. I can't say I like the popularity contest cosplay has become, but I can't say I hate it either? The only spawn of this generation that truly does bug me are bandwaggoners because I think that even if you're doing it for attention you should be doing cosplays for characters you love regardless of whether you want attention, and so cosplaying something just because it's popular rubs me the wrong way.

>> No.6708085

>>6707928
If they have left they old friends to be with the popular cosplayer friends then they are quite frankly really shitty people.

If I were to become known ( I wouldn't want to) I wouldn't want to forget the people who have been friends through thick and thin. The new shiny popular friends would have a high chance of being shallow. I wouldn't want to be part of that.

>>6707937
That is true. I agree with you on the bandwagon comment.

>> No.6708136

>>6707937
You sound a lot like me. I wasn't comfortable with a brief popular stage when I was 17; it only happened because I got some good photos taken at a time when private photoshoots were generally relegated to far higher tier cosplayers. (These days everyone and their mom has a DSLR so nice photos are a dime a dozen.) Getting praise can be nice and all but I don't really like getting noticed by hordes of strangers. I'd rather stay in my little obscure corner.

I've phased out of cosplay a lot at this point. I tend to enjoy panels, a little shopping and getting dinner/drinks with groups of friends at conventions. The social aspect of getting all your friends together from different areas is more appealing to me than interacting with strangers all day because of what I'm wearing. The novelty's kind of worn off.

>> No.6708169

>>6708136
Yeah, I've sort of started to phase out of cosplay for multiple reasons- I probably won't quit entirely just yet, but definitely not as much as I have for the past almost 10 years. I can't say the community is a major reason for that, but I also can't deny that that the general attitude shift isn't at least a small factor.

>> No.6709041

>>6707928
>>6707937
I really don't understand bandwagoning as a means to get attention and be popular. Doesn't cosplaying from a well known series mean you have to really stand above everyone else just to get noticed and with the more people cosplaying said character the larger the chances of someone wearing a better outfit will occure.

Cool, you're cosplaying Tony Stark or Miku, good luck trying to get attention among the dozens of other Mikus and Starks walking around the con and even moreso who posted pictures online.

If anything, wouldn't you pick a character that has rarely/never been cosplayed ? That way you can be recongized as the only cosplayer around for that character.

>> No.6709048

>>6709041
I think that can be a tough call. Especially if that rarely cosplayed character is largely unknown outside of the fanbase. Cosplayer who want to be known will go for what has a fanbase. The larger the fanbase the larger the response.

>> No.6709073

>>6709048
The trick is to pick rarely done characters that are popular or are at least from well known shows. I've managed to luck out with my choices multiple times so the roster for characters that meet this requirement is larger than one would think.

>> No.6709103

>>6709073

Exactly what I do, its finding a balance between a character not done often, that's got a striking design, and that people will still recognize

If you chose an over done character you have to go for the top, be as accurate as possible, with good finish to it for it to stand out.

>> No.6709181

>>6709073
G.
Learn when to stop.

>> No.6709859

This subject seems to be quite big at the moment, found yet another article -

http://bellechere.tumblr.com/post/45863427685/in-regards-to-cosplay-fame-and-why-i-cosplay

>> No.6709873

>>6709181
Hey now I'm just giving some advice here. If you think those bandwagon hoppers that we're concerned with are gonna listen to a nobody like then then you're giving my words way more credit than they deserve.

>> No.6709878

>>6709873
I think that anon meant more that you sound like you're gearing your cosplays towards what will get you attention (it sure read that way, to be honest).

>> No.6710174

Was there really a competition to join the LT3 cosplay group?

>> No.6710189
File: 58 KB, 565x600, 1316318133429.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6709859
>big
>yet another
>1 article from a shit ezine and a blog post.

>> No.6710213

>>6709859
>>6710189
samefag mad cause no one read his article

>> No.6710293

This has really exploded all over my social sites including facebook. I am wondering who are the real people feeling this or who are the band wagon jumpers who have latched on. Yaya Han and posts like the one >>6707211
>>6707217 has posted are the earliest ones I saw on my news feed. Some of the newer ones seem like a rehash of what others have posted.

>> No.6710485

I made a page last month and it's been an interesting journey in social media. As someone who had popular fansites as a teenager, it's a new medium for me to internet at.

It appeals to my social butterfly side. I used to like /cgl for interacting with new people, but every new wave of tripfags got worse and I mostly just hate everyone after 2009, you self posting circljerking bitches.

Anywho, there are a lot of benefits as well as some negatives. Right now I'm trying my hardest not to let it turn into a fan/fappage or I probably will rage quit and delete it. It's opened up a lot of doors for me in the meer six weeks I've had it, so I'll take all the negatives happily.

Realise I rambled on a lot about myself there, but given the topic, it's somewhat hard to avoid.. I will say if you're thinking about it, just do it. You won't really know what will happen till you put yourself out there.

>>6709859
>Don’t waste your energy or, more importantly, your emotions on a pipe dream.

How miserable and bitter of her. Whilst everyone should know the limitations and realities of their dream, no one should have their dreams stomped on (okay even if cosplay fame IS your dream..). There are a million singers and bands out there. Should they all give up trying to get somewhere just because the odds are terrible?

NO. If it's not impossible, fuck everyone. Try your hardest. You may fail miserably, but at least you tried.

Those who try to tell you that you can't and should give up are usually the most resentful and bitter because they failed themselves. Ignore them.

>> No.6710582

>>6710485
>ai-honey
>calling someone else miserable and bitter

How ironic.

>> No.6710592

>>6710485
Yes, there are a million bands trying to forge a career in music. But it is a legit career. I'm not sure cosplay can count as one. Yes, there are people like Yaya making some money out of it but not many. Those like Volpin and GSTQ are more costume builders than cosplayers themselves.

>> No.6710600

>>6710582
Haha! Touché anon. Though at least *I know* I'm miserable and bitter.

Also for as miserable and bitter as I am, I don't go around destroying peoples dreams. As humans that's about all we have to keep us from turning into emotionless robots.

She's basically saying "Protect your emotions! Don't try, you'll probably fail!" which is just an absolutely awful ethos. Everybody fails sometimes, it's an absolutely integral part of existing.

It might as well be some tired tale of a woman who had her heartbroken once, she's sworn off of men for life and goes around harping to others that they should do the same.

If you protect your emotions like that the only result is you'll make yourself more miserable.

>> No.6710606

>>6710592
Jessica made bank in the last year. Just saying!

And plenty of cosplayers make money and use the notoriety they gain as a springboard into better jobs. By putting themselves out there, they get noticed.

Which isn't the same as being a famous cosplayer per say. But fortune favours the brave, if you don't put yourself out there, no one will give a flying fuck.

Volpin and GSTQ are more builders yep. But Harrison gets a lot of great cosplay related perks because of what he does. He also does quite well with posters despite not having boobs, so there's a thing! I can't speak for GTSQ I don't know her really.

>> No.6710613

>>6707224
>>6707232

I also agree. I remember cosplay before facebook and youtube. Those were good times. People were friendly and helpful. A few catty bitches were around, but..those were few. And cosplay-- i would of never thought of seeing cosplay on t.v til MTV showed it.

>> No.6710619

>>6710592
Eurgh, won't let me delete that post for some reason. Sorry for the triple post, I'll sage this one.

There is no such thing as a 'legit' career. Only those that are more sociably acceptable and revered. If your your career being socially acceptable to others is more important than anything else, that's general happiness suicide.

A job is whatever makes you money.

>> No.6710712

>>6707263
That was the fundamental of what classic cosplaying used to be. It was traditionally a great icebreaker for people to approach each other at conventions. It was easy to have smeone approach you telling you that they loved the character and get into a great conversation with you about it.

Nowadays it's still possible, but within the sea of sneers and huffs most of them give each other, especially if they are in the same cosplay as you are. Instead, it's now people planted on gazebos, con hallways, and floors waiting for photographers to get their pictures and for everyone to aw and ooh in admiration, not returning any favors.

>> No.6710732

>>6706421
This, it's the only thing that's changed is the explosion of social media and the internet in general since then.

>> No.6710734

>>6710606
How do you know how much she made?

>> No.6710753

>>6710734
i have a feeling anon doesnt

>> No.6711321

>>6710753
>anon
>ai-honey
newfags are so easy to detect

>> No.6711349

>>6710485
You mention that it's opened some perks up to you already. Can you mention what some of those are?

>> No.6711571

>>6711321
Newfags gonna newfag.

>>6711349
Yeah. I also want to point out some things were offered that never happened. Some cool stuff happened, some didn't. But that's better than 0% cool stuff happening.

Two games companies contacted me and I had lunch with Randy Pitchford. This was in part down to youtube as much as facebook, but I think they aid each other.

sage for talking about myself. But I do maintain that if you don't put yourself out there, no one will give a shit. It's a double edged sword but I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives.

>> No.6711809

>>6711571
not gonna quote them all, but goddamn, reading your dumbass posts made me realize why /cgl/ hates your gut

>> No.6711900

>>6711809
Good, still doing my job right then.

REMEMBER I'M HERE FOREVER.