[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 31 KB, 677x750, california-county-map.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6689333 No.6689333 [Reply] [Original]

>SDCC badges impossible for new people to get
>AX traded in high profile Japanese guests for people like Jnig and Vampy as Guest of Honor
>Fanime has no events or guests announced two months into the con and AA registration is not up
>ALA is a glorified tripfag hangout where everyone is a drunk mess
>Yaoicon on hiatus to 2014

What the hell happened to the California convention scene? If this keeps up, I might have to consider flying out to all of my cons

>> No.6689336

Doesn't help that Fanime was the best con every for me for so long, then I fly out to Katsucon to meet up with college buddies and it's twice the con Fanime is now.

>> No.6689339

You know your event is bad when Otakon has better guests than you

>> No.6689351

>>6689339
Is Otakon the new king of anime cons as its the largest?

>> No.6690437

>>6689351
seems like it. They announced T.M. Revolution not too long ago.

meanwhile, CA cons are just fucking drunken mess period. Whenever I see threads and people on facebook talk it's all about the party and how drunk people will get instead of the actual con. I always ask this, but do people actually like to go to anime cons or even like anime and stuff now a days to even justify to go? All I see is bashing from everyone and it's like "then why even bother comming if your too cool for this shit?"

>> No.6690442

>>6690437
SDCC and Sac Anime are the cons to go to for guests

>> No.6690450

PMX seems to have been consistently decent for the past few years, at least. It hasn't really risen beyond decent, but it's not as lame as I remember it being?

>> No.6690460

>>6690442
yeah, SDCC is guest filled, but we already know how hard it is to get passes, so yeah. as far as SAC Anime goes, all I see are NA VAs and such. I'm going to sound like an old grouch but a few years back, I could meet people from the anime industry from JAPAN, I want more of that.

>> No.6690475

/toy/ here. Do anime conventions have a good selection of figures? Also what are the chances of being able to chum it up with random strangers?

>> No.6690485

>>6689333
SoCal cons seem to just be dropping the ball lately. Conji went to shit because of internal issues. Fanime is dragging it's feet on getting any information up. SDCC is terrible to get into since it sells out in no time flat and nearly impossible to get tickets unless you camp the website or have inside methods.

The anime con scene seems to be in a bad spot outside of smaller cons like PMX. I do like ALA, but it's gotten to big for it's britches and just, needs to either up the venue or reduce the tickets available. Also just how people have turned it into drunk con, I've got a few friends who are just tired of it and moving on to greener pastures. That's why I'm actually interested in seeing how Otakon Vegas will be. It's a week before ALA and I'm hoping it'll have potential.

At least the comic book scene seems to be doing okay. With Wondercon and Comikaze being alternatives to trying to get into SDCC. As nice as it is having Wondercon in Anaheim, I do hope it moves back up north so Norcal has it's comic book convention again.

I would like to see them open up a comic book convention at the Anaheim convention center in the same vein as Wondercon and Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle.

>> No.6690525

>>6690475
/toy/ soldier you should know that it's cheaper online. Cons in general are hugely overpriced for figs unless you want random other merch you can't order from the big three online sites.

As for chumming it up, it depends on how outgoing you are.

>> No.6690599

>>6690460
It's hard to get passes because the con gets huge names

Sac Anime gets huge names from the US and Japan and that con barely hits its attendance cap

>> No.6690617

I love the SoCal Con scene.
hate on me all you want.
enjoy your hate.
Im having fun.

>> No.6690616

>>6690485
How the hell did this happen? AX, Fanime, SDCC and ALA are held in different venues, have different leaders and go after different types of guests/con experience.

How can they all fuckup at the same time?

>> No.6690621

>>6689333
I think it's also because this place became the shitty pioneer into the more social aspects of cons, so it probably made it seem like people were less wanting to go see the guests and attend panels in favor of wanting to get drunk and party with friends.

I'd really love some amazing guests again in California. I don't want to lose hope yet.

>> No.6690629

I spoke with a fairly higher up Fanime staffer
He declined to tell me anything
I did express my feelings about not knowing anything

SDCC: I've been successful in every online foray so far and that includes buying for other people who are new to SDCC. For just 2013's I've gotten my family's tickets, my ticket, a guest ticket, and tickets for my friends. I am a ticket buying machine, apparently.
AX: Still having fun, but maybe because I like the concerts.
Fanime: yeah, worried
ALA: never gone
Yaoicon: never gone even when it was near my house
Japan Expo: might be good, we'll see
J-pop Summit: Always a favorite for me

>Sac Anime gets huge names from the US and Japan and that con barely hits its attendance cap
It's because it's Sacramento and no one wants to go there

SDCC is hard to get tickets because it got hyped up by the media. Thanks IGN, G4, etc. Lots and lots of "normal" people want to go which pushes out a lot of "nerds." Like outlined above I've gotten tickets easily though.

>> No.6690638

>>6690616
A lot of it is gradual buildup over time. ALA's becoming notorious over time for being a party con and more people kept flocking to it each year. The hotel is really just too small now since they hit their highest numbers this year. AX has shifted different leaders in the past few years. SDCC has been hard and harder to get into each year and has such huge industry backing that it's just not worth it for some people anymore to try to get in.

Fanime and Conji seem to be the two biggest messups this year. Conji due to switching ownership(and word of mouth is that one of the issues is that old staff just doesn't want to give it up, which is causing issues to get the con going this year) and well, I don't know what's going on with Fanime but they've just dropped the ball hard, from the website, to the AA registration, to new awkward rules costume rules(like no flashing lights on costumes)

>> No.6690645

>>6690621
Wondercon, SDCC and Sac Anime all get good guests

>> No.6690684

>>6690645
Yeah, I know they do. Unfortunately I used to like AX more when their guests were seriously awesome.

Ikuhara and Chiho Saito at AX was seriously my dream come true.

I also remember now though that Halko Momoi was pretty pissed with the way AX handled her concert and appearance when she was there, so burning bridges can be costly.

>> No.6691448

>>6690629
>It's because it's Sacramento and no one wants to go there

Wow so it's

>Waaa cons never get good guests
Look at Sac Anime, they just got Piccalo' Japanese VA and Kevin Conroy
>Waaaa, I don't wanna go to Sacramento!

Does Sacramento really scare off that many people? I mean when you're at a con, you're not exactly going around and hitting all the good tourist spots and you just stay at the convention center and hotels. Last I checked San Jose is not the most happening place to be yet people jizz themselves over Fanime

>> No.6691472

>>6691448
You've never been to Sacramento, have you.

>> No.6691477

i'm still trying to figure out who this nigga Danny Choo is and why AX is lets him get balls deep. he's been a guest for the past three years and i still have no idea who he is

>> No.6691506

>>6691477
Danny Choo is known for living the otaku dream and blogging about it. He's the son of shoe designer Jimmy Choo, but they have no real relationship with each other than the occasional photo op. He used to make videos of himself dancing in Stormtrooper armor and posting them on YouTube, which got him attention from CNN and NHK.

A lot of people that work in the anime industry in Japan really don't like him though, and I mean they really hate the guy and want nothing to do with him after getting fucked over.

>> No.6691509

AX turned to shit because of the split, I don't remember the name of the other con but they really hate the guys over at AX

>> No.6691511

>>6689333
I'm moving to California in a couple of months. This upsets me.

>> No.6691514

>>6691472
I went to Sac Anime Winter to get Kevin Conroy's signature. Con center and hotels were great.

Wish we had more poeple

>> No.6691522

>>6691509
AM2 you mean? I've heard mixed reviews about that as well. They're a "free" convention, but from what I hear, you get what you pay for. Still considering hitting it up this year.

>> No.6691529

>>6691522
It's free to walk into and you get to see certain events. However you need a badge for concerts...standard con practice.

It seems more of a jband con than an anime con though

>> No.6691566

Famine is a good consolation prize for those who tried to go to SDCC but were not lucky enough to get tickets. Not the same caliber of guess, but loads of great coz players and just generally a lot of fun.
I wish they would have kept Wondercon in SF though, instead of taking it to Anaheim, doesn't SoCal have enough fucking cons?

>> No.6691569

>>6691566
Lol autocorrect...cosplayers*

>> No.6691593

>>6691566
Fanime WAS a good consoluation prize. From the way things look it seems that people might be passing on going to cons in CA during the summer

>> No.6691638

AX goofed so hard with Long Beach. They had the main three female seiyu from Haruhi, undoubtedly one of the biggest anime at that time. However, they were apparently treated horribly and I get this feeling we burned some huge bridges there. Same thing with Halko Momoi that year, she even blogged about how awful it was. Also had the lead vocalist from See Saw Chiaki Takahashi who I stumbled upon, don't think her appearance was publicize as much as it could have been.

AX has had some great guests here and there, but I don't feel it's as consistent as it used to be. If AX has mediocre guests again this year, I'll be saving for Otakon as my big summer con. They have always had great guests(especially music wise) and I'm pretty upset I can't at least see TM Revolution this year.

>> No.6691699

>>6691566
>> doesn't SoCal have enough fucking cons?

No fucking kidding

>> No.6691778

How are the crowds at Otakon?

>> No.6691788

>>6691522
yeah that's the one

supposedly they're the better half of AX

>> No.6691798

You forgot Power Morphicon in that list OP

>> No.6691805

>>6691788
AM2 hallways are empty and the con is way too small for its venue. I think the better candidate is Japan Expo.

They just annonced the artist for No More Heroes as a guest

>> No.6691894

>>6691522
This year you have an entry fee of like $5 or $10. But their first year was pretty good. Angelic Pretty, Kanon Wakeshima, small but pleasant.

>> No.6691949
File: 58 KB, 427x362, sdfdsfsdfdsfsdfdsfdsf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Japan-Expo's FB has been up for a few months and it already has over half the likes of Fanime.
Fanime is dropping the ball hard, they don't even have Artist Alley registration open (Which, by the way, Clockwork Alchemy has had their Artist Alley registration open for some time).
I already have a badge, a room at the Hilton, and a friend flying out from Michigan. I'm embarrassed to get my friend hyped for Fanime and then it turn out the be the worst Fanime yet.
Hell, I hear half the convention is going to be at the Fairmont because the construction is so bad. I drove past it last weekend and it was a mess.

I'm pretty hyped for Japan-Expo, and AX will still be decent, especially since the X-Games wont be going on at the same time this year. I have pretty high hopes for a good musical guest from AX.

>> No.6691957

The biggest problem sacramento has is that it's too fucking far. At least with sj you have sf about an hour away. With sacramento it's two hours to sf and nothing else in the area. Not like that stops my friends from driving from there to sj.

>> No.6692014
File: 60 KB, 800x600, 800x600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6691949
It dosen't look THAT bad

I honestly think Japan Expo will flop because it's a new con from another country with owners that expect too much in the first year

>They want 15,000 attendees in year one
>Santa Clara con center

Thats pushing it
I know they can get really great guests but this is ridiculous, that being said I might check it out from curiosity

>> No.6692017 [DELETED] 

>>6691472
I assume like most of /cgl/ you haven't either

>> No.6692097

>>6692014
SC is still in a good area and Japan Expo is banking on the Fanime crowd to hit it up since its kinda in the area.

The guests are really killer so I really want them to do well

>> No.6692109

>>6692097
If they bring more than 2 amazing guests I will go

>> No.6692118

>>6692014
That's turnstile attendance, so in terms of actual real people going to the con about 5000. Still high, but less wtf.

>> No.6692462

>>6691506
>and I mean they really hate the guy and want nothing to do with him after getting fucked over
What happened?
And huh, didn't know he was Jimmy Choo's son.

>>6691778
They're fine. Walking across from the two parts of the con center in the prime parts of the afternoon can be a pain, but I've never felt like I'm too overwhelmed with the crowds.

>> No.6692558

>>6689351
Otakon isn't the largest...it's the second largest (and largest on the East Coast)
IN 2012 AX had 49k attendees while Otakon had 32k...so it's going to take some time before Otakon can catch up.

>> No.6692588

>>6692558
its the new king not because of attendance but because the con is not a fuckup and gets good guests

>> No.6692594

>>6692558
Does it really matter whose biggest? More people just means bigger crowds. What matters is the people you hang with and the spirit of the con. Even dinky little cons like ALA can be a blast.

>> No.6692606

>>6691957
pretty much this. I'd have to pay for a hotel in shitty sacto or else spend half my time driving something like 2-3 hours each way

>> No.6693432

>>6689333
Vampy is not the GoH for AX, its for Anime Conji
SacAnime is coming up, but "hurr durr I'll never go to Sacramento" needs to be addressed plus it's still a viable option for the 12-17 crowd that still can't afford AX or Fanime

>> No.6693610

the weirdest thing is that sacramento is much closer to me than LA or SD and yet I drive to both of those for AX and SDCC. I think it might be that sacramento is too close, like I don't want to get a hotel there because I'm "only 2 hours away" but I don't want to drive 2 hours.

>> No.6693642

>>6690475
/toy/ collector reporting in.
You don't realize how overpriced figures are at cons until you work for a booth or know people who work in dealer's hall. Boyfriend works in dealers and he got the 1/4 Tsumugi figure for $120. Unless you find something you really want, stick with shopping on Mandarake or online deals. Depending on the con size, there might or might not be rare figures there.

>> No.6693647

>>6693432
I guess OP lumped them together since Conji is under SPJA's watch, more or less. But yeah, having JNig and/or Vampy as GOH is automatic disgrace.

>> No.6693673

>>6693642
I don't want to live in a world where $120 is an acceptable price

>> No.6693675

Shame about Fanime. I really enjoyed it up until last year. Hopefully 2014 won't be so bad when the renovations are finished.

>> No.6693687

>>6691798
but MorphiCon only happens like once every 2-3 years because they want to have it during an anniversary. I think the next one will be next year for the anniversary of MMPR the Movie. If thats the case too, why don't we throw Botcon in as well since they are holding it this year at San Diego, but in 2014, who knows where it will go.

>> No.6693700

>>6693675
My first fanime was 2011 and I had a blast. Lots of guests I liked. 2012 was sparse to say the least.

>> No.6693708

Speaking of SDCC, for those of you who got fucked out of getting passes and sent in screenshots of your white screen or # in line, did you get that special invite email? If so, was that the last one you got? A friend of mine said she got another email, this time from EPIC, after the 5-7 day wait and invite emails. I'm getting kind of nervous that I'm missing out on something~

>> No.6693716

>>6693708
well if it makes you feel better the actual sale probably won't be til late may/early june because they need stock to sell. if its like last year it'll be a very low number of single day tickets and zero four days. they had 5000 single days (not sure if they separated them specifically by day or if they just made one big pot that said single day and depleted from there) and that was it. that's all that got returned/refunded. i also learned something valuable and that it's kind of better to NOT get a refund. if you do you are disqualified from the presale for the following year. i had a couple of extras, got refunds, had to wait til i could buy. i should have just scalped them, honestly.

did anyone use those screenshots I posted in the original buying thread to send in? I posted two different ones. if you did, good luck with the resale and enjoy.

>> No.6693772 [DELETED] 

>>6693700
/this
2009-2011 were the best years and then they got new owners

>> No.6694005

>>6693700
>ib4 people go "Huur Fanime is not about the request but meeting fans!"

>> No.6694038

>>6693716
So comic-con badge demand has gotten so huge that people are essentially preording tickets for next year. Factor in the fact that the amount of people who go to SDCC to buy badges for the following year as well and you got a con that doesn't need to worry about attracting more people again.

>> No.6694293

>>6694038
comic con has always had presales. they're basically the preregistration that other conventions have. it used to be that you got a huge discount for preregistration (half off if early enough) to help get people going but obviously they don't need to do that anymore.

> you got a con that doesn't need to worry about attracting more people again.
it's been this way for the last few years. it'll stay this way til it somehow becomes uncool again which, if companies keep participating. it's a possibility if they create their own conventions that popularity will go down but given the actual money companies have to invest compared to other marketing options it's well worth it to just stay at comic con.

>> No.6694327

After looking into the construction on the San Jose Convention Center, I think it should be close to completion during Fanime, so hopefully not much of a bother.

Doesn't fix the staff issue though.

>> No.6694344

>>6691506
If you read how he became an otaku, he was actually in some foster homes because his mother (or was that parents) didn't have money so it's actually weird for me to see that he's some shoe designer's son.

>> No.6694355

>>6694344
he was just fucking around for april fools
it'd be like me saying that bruce lee was my grandfather because we both have the same last name

>> No.6694369

>>6694355
Wasn't posted in April though.

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/26094/How+Discovering+Japan+Changed+My+Life.html

>> No.6694364

>>6693673
Considering it was 150 when it was released, it's something.

As for Fanime, in my experience it's been alright. I staff so it's pretty hit-or-miss due to friends, possible drama over the weekend, etc. It's better to go to see people and look at cosplay than panels. Don't really like their music guests since they've had FLOW there for like... 2-3 years? I've never really liked them and the last group I wanted to see was An Cafe in 2008.

>> No.6694416

>>6694369
yeah it was a two-parter
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/26487/Jimmy+Choo.html

>I lied about the shoe designer Jimmy Choo being my father - he is actually my younger brother
>after falling into the lake is reading the date on a newspaper which was dated 30 years into the future.
>By then, my younger brother Jimmy had aged while I remained 25 years old. I was surprised to hear that he had become some famous designer. I'm sorry that I lied to you all.

>> No.6694422

>>6694416
also he removed all reference to jimmy choo in the how discovering japan article
that or my find text is broken

>> No.6694436

>>6690437
>do people actually like to go to anime cons or even like anime and stuff now a days to even justify to go?

We used to. If a convention is only fun because "you make your own fun", then it is a shitty as fuck convention. I can hang out with my friends any damn time. Don't need a con for that.

A "good" convention has enough panels and events to make it interesting all the time. I should not "have" to be inebriated to enjoy a convention.

SDCC is like, the last decent con left, and I haven't been able to get a ticket for three years now..

>> No.6694437

>>6694416
>>6694422
More like your reading comprehension is broken.

>> No.6694441
File: 391 KB, 950x1280, anime con 91.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>That feel when an anime cons guest list will NEVER be this good again, ever.

>> No.6694451

>>6690475
Get the exclusives at SDCC, ex. Derpy Hooves limited edition figure that you have to camp in line to get the voucher for. There are many collectors that go with their families to swipe toys and figures that are exclusives, and I'm very dead serious that they make sure the adult relatives get as much as possible (imagine an entire family with Hasbro bags) and end up selling the toys on eBay and other sites for huge profit.

>> No.6694459

>>6694451
This.
Mattel was allowing people to buy 6 at a time, each day. Of the SDCC exclusive Monster high doll. Which means one person could easily walk away with 24 dolls in just four days. Add in sending family and friends, scalpers made BANK from those dolls considering they could easily get $50 a piece on a $25 doll(and that's lowballing at just the end of the con)

>> No.6694460

>>6694436
You'll get in eventually.

>> No.6694477

>>6694459
GI Joes make some decent cash too

>> No.6694509
File: 21 KB, 476x335, NorCalFlag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Norcal fag here. Attempting to list what I know.

Sacramento region:
Kintoki Con 2011 was alright for a first year con. But they splurged too much, were highly understaffed, and messed up on their part with pissing off Homestuck fans. No one likes their chair at all.
Sac Anime is a known hangout con, but their timing is generally horrible due to clashing cons (ex. ALA).
The staffers for the Sacramento region are usually the same, also.
Daicon in UCD is coming up in the beginning of May. Not sure how it is, but the UCD region is stepping up on promoting it.

San Francisco:
Enjoy everything anime-related in Japantown now. Despite the residents being weirded out by some of the weeaboos, I really appreciate what Mari Watanabe has done for the Japantown San Francisco community and the congoer scene of that region.

South Bay:
Hyper Con is a waste of time and money, do not bother. It's ran by some guy in artist alley.
Fanime is lagging because of staff department issues, aka "important staffers leave" and everything went down the gutter.
Japan Expo is something to look forward to for all of the Bay Area.

East Bay:
Some fighting game con is coming up this weekend in Laney College.
Kinyoobi Con is getting bigger. One of the guys in charge goes to almost every single event going on in Norcal and gives out flyers. If anyone recalls a black man giving out flyers for a convention with a black guy in dreadlocks on their logo with a blondie, then that's Kinyoobi Con.
Anime Destiny is lame.

Monterey:
Animeicon. Someone give details. Looked lame though.

>> No.6694513

>>6691448
Sacramento parking is horrible.
Many places are not open during weekends. People usually starve or end up walking far to eat.

>> No.6694514

>>6694441
the worst part is if we asked current con goers who these people are and why they are important, they will be utterly confused. Yes, even at Leiji Matsumoto, who did the designs for Insterstella 5555, they will not recognize.

>> No.6694536

>>6694514
I'm embarassed to admit I was not even born that year, I was born a year later.

However, my father and mother would know these people. It's very awkward to meet older congoers that are my parents' age and are familiar with the old school procress of fansubbing and renting anime videos at Japantown Video.

>> No.6694540

>>6694436
Try Dragoncon or PAX

>> No.6694542

>>6694441
God damn that's a cool poster

>> No.6694549

>>6694509
Animeicon - Good guests and an amazing hotel but con felt dead since it was in Monteray. It doesn't even get threads on /cgl/. Sad case of a con that does everything right and by the book but still flounders

Animation on Display - Had amazing video game VA guests but the hotel is getting too small for the con yet they get the best attendence due to the fact it's in Jtown. Ultimate Catch 22

>> No.6694563

>>6694549
Thanks!

AOD was alright, but I know their guests reel in a lot of people. I didn't bother buying a badge this year, though.

>> No.6694569

>>6694563
I staff AoD and I can tell you that its the easiest con to ghost. With that said we're seriously feeling the limits of the hotel and more people buy badges/book rooms than before. It's got a nice "cozy" feel to it as you can casually approach any of the guests and just talk.

Highlights from 2013 for me was just chilling with the guy who made Skullgirls and talking about Personsa, Guilty Gear and Jojo with him for more than an hour.

>> No.6694582

>>6694569
>implying MikeZ is a big enough name that that's difficult to accomplish

>> No.6694608

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-14/north-carolina-animazement-to-host-masako-nozawa-toshio-furukawa

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, CALIFORNIA! GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!

>> No.6694704
File: 411 KB, 599x517, 1317916854898.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6694608
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-14/north-carolina-animazement-to-host-masako-nozawa-toshio-furukawa

Holy shit, I'm jelly as fuck!

>> No.6694835

>>6694582
Not Mike Z, the skullgirls art director. Sure its not Steve Blum but it was still cool

>> No.6694962

>>6694835
Alex Ahad AKA o-8?

>> No.6695148

>>6694962
>Alex Ahad
Yep that's him

>> No.6695157

>>6690475

Yes and no. There's often a decent selection of figures at the bigger cons, but most dealers are fairly overpriced. That being said, they're great places to find somewhat older items, which have often risen in price to the point where even the jacked-up con prices are less than the online prices. And if you enjoy Tamashii Nations shit, cons are a wonderland for reasonably-priced Bandai products thanks to Bluefin. As for the chumming it up, it boils down largely to your own level of extroversion. If you're willing to take a chance and talk to random folks, you'll often meet some cool folks. Hell, even the dealers are often cool - I remember shooting the shit with one Anime Boston dealer for half an hour, talking about Gokaiger and bitching about GSC delays.

Speaking of AB, when the fuck are they going to get some guests other than Funimation voice actors? I remember they had Nobuo Uematsu one year, but beyond that, it's pretty much FunimationCon. Considering how big it's gotten, you'd think they'd be able to pull in some more crowd-drawing guests...

>> No.6695228 [DELETED] 
File: 34 KB, 288x499, 1363303524238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6694608
>>6694704
>Toshio Furukawa
>Masako Nozawa
>Kyle Hebert
>Cristina Vee
>Christine Marie Cabanos

Holy shit Fanime step up your game, this is embarrassing
>To be announced ^_^

>> No.6695252

seriously people. I don't care how much you drink or how elaborate your cosplay is or your fan panel is fucking awesome...

THIS ARE THE FUCKING PEOPLE THAT MAKE AND MOLD YOUR FANDOM!

and you rather put yourself over just because you want to be lord king big nuts instead of getting word or asking conventions to bring better quality guest is sad. It's downright pathetic even that people would want to see some joe nobody who all they want is to put themselves over.

I used to go to Anime Expo to see the coolest and newest things from Japan, not Masa D. Luffy and Tripfag wankfest 2013.

GET YOUR FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER

>> No.6695256

>>6694608
>>6694704
Californians being jealous of our little southern convention. It truly is a great day.

>> No.6695263

>>6695256
I'm not jealous rather than disappointed

Fanime is starting to lose my respect

>> No.6695363
File: 160 KB, 700x514, 1289109355435.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6694608
Furukawa went to SacAnime Winter 2013
But Nozawa...fuck North Carolina

>> No.6695644

>>6695252
>I used to go to Anime Expo to see the coolest and newest things from Japan, not Masa D. Luffy and Tripfag wankfest 2013.

You're telling me that Masa and the loser tripfag brigade. The same tripfag brigade that has to circlejerk to get a single good comment, were able to influence the entire con scene of California.

I am calling bullshit. /cgl/ is barely a shit stain on the cosplay and convention world. How the hell do you think this is possible?

>> No.6695663

>>6695644
people flock to his stand-up panel every year. He runs it with other tripfags and other people wanting to get themselves over VIA the con. It's gotten so big that it's been debated whether the even should be ticketed or not now since people use it as an alternative for the Masquerade.

>> No.6695703

>>6695644
>influence the entire con scene of California
What has he done in the Bay Area/NorCal scene? All his damage comes from SoCal

>> No.6695708

>>6695703
Fanime is going down in the shitter too

>> No.6695712

>>6695663
That's one show, ONE show. That is not enough to damage the entire con scene. Guy might be exaggerating his numbers.

>> No.6695742

It's more like the masq costs money and sucks while comedy is free and doesnt suck as much that drives the numbers. To be honest even if both cost money more people would probably go to watch comedy.

Seriously, a masq that costs money? It wasn't fun even when i got in free and was drunk on free alcohol.

>> No.6695751

>>6690485
>I would like to see them open up a comic book convention at the Anaheim convention center in the same vein as Wondercon and Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle.

We have Long Beach Comic Con at least. Also Artist Alley-wise, Comikaze has by far the nicest and most informative AA coordinators. WonderCon's AA heads are super incompetent.

>> No.6695778

>WAAAAAAHHHHHHH
>CONVENTIONS SHOULD ONLY BE WHAT I LIKE
Shut up faggot

>> No.6695786

>>6695778
You seem to enjoy it now as a newfag because you weren't around to see what decent guests were, and what actual decent organizing was.

Some of these people on this thread legitimately enjoyed conventions in the West coast before they began to derail and show a complete lack of the attendees' interests.

>> No.6695789

>>6695786
>implying I'm not 29 and have been attending cons since I was 16
That's kawaii.
Now stop being an entitled bitch.

>> No.6695790

>>6695751
I heard comikaze had some nightmarish lines. for being something stan lee lended his name to, kind of sad.

>> No.6695823
File: 186 KB, 834x639, 1327210771974.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6695789
>entitled bitch
>conventions rely on attendees money

>> No.6695826

>>6695823
Yeah because YOU not liking the guest and deciding not to go will TOTALLY hurt the con.

NO ONE WILL TAKE YOUR SPOT.

Are you retarded.

>> No.6695831

My head would have exploded from awesomeness if the descriptions people always say about AX being awesome in the past and how it isn't awesome anymore are true. I've really liked the three AX I've attended.

>> No.6695832

>>6695826
One person won't make a difference but over time and bad guests, attendance will drop to the point where yes, it does hurt.

>> No.6695834

>>6695831
I think it honestly depends on your plans and what you seek out from the convention. My friends like AX because they go for the swag, probably less for the cosplay at times.Others have had their share of fun.

I really can't do the crowd anymore, but I think I simply go out of nostalgic (or habitual) reasons.

>> No.6695833

>>6695832
You go ahead and let me know when the con closes down then because you decided to stop going.

>> No.6695835

>>6695833
Why are you so mad?

>> No.6695836

>>6695835
I'm not even I'm just pointing out your Down's Syndrome Logic.

>> No.6695838

>>6695790
Ah, I haven't been but all my friends who did go had a really good time. I'm planning to table there for this upcoming con and the AA coordinator has been super helpful. He actually took the initiative to send out emails to the waitlisted artists from last year before they opened up AA reg to the public and everything.

I'm a local so I'm hoping that it grows into something bigger!

>> No.6695840

>>6695836
I'm not the same anon who you were arguing with, jeez.

>> No.6695841

>>6695840
That's what I was going to say. The "self entitled bitch" is right here and haven't said anything until now.

>>6695836
Stay mad!

>> No.6695846

>>6695841
>implying I'm wrong
Yeah SDCC sales are really gonna hurt when you stop going because butthurt over hollywoodguests

>> No.6695848

>>6695846
I actually happen to be okay with SDCC.

I think it's more like missing out on having nice guests from Japan, seiyuu, artists, and creative directors that are really awesome to hear from. I'm sick of the reused dub VA's even tough some are awesome, but it's a bit lackluster.

It's like for every five shitty VA's, you can have 1 good seiyuu or something.

>> No.6695880

>>6695848
i bet most of the dub guys come for cheap minus a couple like mceggnog

>> No.6695884

>>6695880
Very true.

Does anyone know how much people like Yaya Han charge though?

>> No.6695886

>>6695848
>guests from Japan
I'm real sure your local con makes enough to pay for that flight on top of whatever the VA's charging.

>> No.6695889

>>6695884
Ugh, please don't tell me they charge much. Please don't tell me conventions actually offer much. I can see room and a flight at most (and that already totals up to a fair amount) but extra cash should be kept to a minimum considering who they are.

>> No.6695895

What's so great about going to a con?

>> No.6695898

>>6695886
but let me put things in perspective:

con A has Yaya Han and a bunch of Tripfags running the show, it's essentially a shithole "everyone get drunk" con

con B is a bit more expensive, but it does it's best and it has a few notable japanese VAs and a few Manga-Kas, nothing too big.

I would think Con B's sacrifice to charge more would generate more of a profit then Con A.

>> No.6695904

>>6695898
Maybe you could hang out with people at cons if you weren't such a baby.

>> No.6695907

>>6695898
Wait so they actually sell alcohol at cons?

>> No.6695915

>>6695907
of course not. that's what you have your local supermarkets, convenience stores, and liquor stores for. the hanging out usually occurs at night after everything notable for the day is already over.

what uh... "anti tripfag anon" most resents seems to be how some conventions are known for being "party conventions" or "hang out conventions" and are slacking when it comes to the rest of their convention in terms of actual guests or facing other problems where the social aspect is being used as a crutch to keep attendee levels up. for anyone not interested in the partying or hanging out the convention becomes that much worse. in a perfect world a convention would have both a strong lineup of guests and events as well as being something people just want to hang out at/near afterward. sdcc is to some degree at that level, minus the whole hard to get tickets thing.

>> No.6695930

>>6695915
too bad when your at SDCC, your in lines 80% of the time and by the time you get out, the last thing you want to do is party. THATS a Con experience.

>> No.6695935

>>6695930
Then find something else to do besides beg for MLP VA's to sign your fedora.

>> No.6695936

>>6695898
That makes sense. The times that cons like Con A have tried to bring decent guests to the socially party cons haven't been the best. AX isn't really a party con but it's pretty notorious for being unprofessional and shitty with their guests.

>> No.6695943

>>6695930
thank god i don't have a burning need to watch actors in panels. seriously, ballroom 20 and hall h are the two zones i always tell people to stay the fuck away from. if you want an autograph the waits are not nearly as intense (if only because most of them are ticketed and you randomly luck into autographs or because the autograph sessions are scheduled at a set time that doesn't make you wait for half a day). probably a lot more productive than watching the panels.

>> No.6695950

>>6695943
yeah, but your still standing around, maybe doing lines to see something or get schwag or hell, even get into the dealers hall at times. The moral is that SDCC is fun, but if you want to go there with the mentality of ALA, your screwed and your body will pay for it hard.

>> No.6695954

Basically, this thread:

AX has some decent guests, on a downturn though
Fanime oh shit what the fuck are you doing
SDCC you can't get tickets
Sacanime is in fucking Sacramento
AM2 lol

man, I feel bad for AM2. Especially because Japan Expo is on the same weekend. They had a good first lineup but tried to take on AX. Then they were right before AX so no one really wanted to go (and no guests). Then Japan Expo appears.

>> No.6695959

>>6695954
Pretty much. I'm really saddened about Fanime though, I really wish someone could give an update soon.

>> No.6695962

>>6695954
sad part is I completely forgot about AM2. Tells you how much of a non-Factor it currently is and how much it will be non-existent soon.

>> No.6695965

>>6695959
Not to samefag but I remembered this just now. Does anyone remember Ani-Magic? That con basically fell to pieces after it literally became sex con and do whatever the fuck social con. There was like no effort from the con at all.

>> No.6695981

>>6695962
I was surprised it got a third year.

I find it amusing that J-Pop Summit is doing a whole lot better than it is and it's also free. To be fair it has more backing power in terms of sponsors and guests, doesn't have to fuck around with a convention center, and has a great location.

>> No.6696023

I just noticed that Anime Conji is now sending me mail to my press box. What the hell, I've never even been to Anime Conji. Yay SPJA.

>> No.6696343

>>6695915
Is it really the con's fault that people are partying hard at the night time? I mean it's not like these cons are doing nothing and people are drinking their sorrows away.

>> No.6696352

>>6695965
Oh man I remember Ani-Magic. I really liked when it had things like the Window Decorating Contest for prizes and their little garden but yeah, in the later years it really fell apart.

I'm sad the hotel's gone now.

>> No.6696537

>>6696343
People think that the parties are nonstop at ALA when in reality it's during the evening time when most of the major events have died down.

>> No.6696544

>>6695663
Who besdies Masa is involved. It seems like he's the only one on cgl?

Besides why the fuck would people go to his shown?

>> No.6696566

>>6696544
it's at night so there isn't anything else to do for most people
it's versus the masq, which, as pointed out, is boring as fuck
it's free where the masq costs money

if it was during the daytime where good panels and guests were running around you'd still get a turnout but it'd probably be a much lesser turnout

>> No.6696573

>>6696566
Masq is free. You pay to be seated first, after all the ticketed people enter then the rest can enter

>> No.6696589

>>6696573
in that case, scratch the costs money part off
it still sucks because, well, it's a masq. masqs are made to suck.

>> No.6696593

>>6695663
Go back to bed Masa.

People attend it because it's held on the night of the biggest night of a con with 100k attendees and it's the only thing to do at that time besides the Masquerade.If you actually think people are going to pay for that crap you must be seriously high on something.

>> No.6696605

>>6696589
But you don't have to PAY anyway it still doesn;t really answer these points

1. Is it really that popular as people say it is. I think Masa is just inflating his numbers
2. Is the event shit? If so why do people go?
3. If people think the event is bad what year did they watch? There has been talks that certain years are better than others with who was featured etc.

>> No.6696610

>>6696589
Masquerades have two components that make and break them. Your Masq coordinator, and your entries. Either of these things can ruin or save the event. But they do not suck out of principle.

AX's masq gets some great entries but their team is poor and needs to step it up a notch. I hope this year it turns out better since I believe the team's been switched up.

>> No.6696649

>>6696605
the last comic standing room is pretty well filled. better filled than some of the daytime panels in that room, honestly.
the comedy itself varies but if you had to say "is it highbrow?" it definitely isn't. is it entertaining? yes, because a lot of us have low standards for comedy, myself included, and will laugh at quite a lot of stuff.
can't answer number three

>>6696610
the first problem with the masq is that at its core it's a bunch of people in costume going up on stage that viewers probably don't care too much about. like if it were during the daytime, would a lot of people go to it? probably not. the second problem, as you pointed out, is that it is heavily dependent on the entries. there will be some who have entertaining skits and others whose skits seem to drone on and on. the fact that the masq is a costume contest also means that priorities must be juggled and no half (costume quality, skit) can have full focus. well, i guess if someone really wanted to they could all run out in cardboard boxes for costumes but i haven't seen it yet.

>> No.6696669

>>6696649
>"is it highbrow?" it definitely isn't. is it entertaining? yes, because a lot of us have low standards for comedy,

Glad you're honest with yourself. Typically anime crowds don't know shit for comedy and think just shouting memes and making 4chan jokes is hilarious.

Now you got me curious, not sure on how many years you've been been there but who are the standout comedians? I'm sure there has to be some regulars

>> No.6696683

>>6694549
I quite enjoyed AOD this year. The cosplayers were pretty good, some awesome artist alley tables, and the guests were great. Hotel was TINY, but really, it's no more crowded than AX was last year, just scaled down. I appreciated the constant programming and events, they really tried to put something in for everyone. The dealers hall wasn't too bad, crowded though because they also had autograph sessions in it. Girl who sells Megami posters for $40, fuck you.

You can't really move AOD to a bigger venue because a lot of the draw is that it's right in Japantown with a million other things to do on top of the convention.

>> No.6696688

>>6695826
Oh look, it's the Fanime chairman.

>> No.6696715

>>6696669
i'm bad with names so I can't really help you there

and yeah, i will still laugh at things like bodily functions. I'm edging towards 30. heh.

>> No.6696722

>>6696715
There are a bunch of regulars, I couldn't tell you names either, but a few of those guys are actually funny. There's a few of them that fall flat, but it's pretty fun to go to anyways.

>> No.6696731

>>6696722
and if your choices are

a) the masq
b) comedy
c) go back to your hotel room
d) other

i'd go with b unless d is something awesome

>> No.6696739

>>6696731
Sometimes they have good DJs at the dance, but I don't live ravers much. And I think it's usually after LCS, can't quite remember.

>> No.6696740

Meh, I'm still excited for fanime. It's more of a partycon anyways. But I probably won't get a badge this year, just a dealers hall/artists alley pass.

>> No.6696745

>>6696739
ah, yeah. forgot about that. i usually get my untz untz untz on at home

>> No.6696746

>>6696740
They do that?

>> No.6696749

>>6696740
i'm surprised you'd even get one of those because the dealers hall is pretty meh but i am kind of biased against any halls that aren't sdcc's

>> No.6696759

I am excited for Fanime. Great chance for me to see friends I've made at con from different parts of the country. I don't really care too much about guest lists. Unless they have JAM Project or Go Nagai, it's a non factor for me. I'm not too much into the newer animes since I don't have much time to keep up because of working and everything.

I'm excited to cosplay there and party. What is wrong with partying at a con anyways? I keep seeing threads about how parties at cons ruin con experience because the con will be filled with drunks. But when the parties I go to get shut down or spill out to the con floor, we keep ourselves confined to some corner.

>> No.6696774

>>6696746
Yeah, they used to do it so I assume they still do
>>6696749
Eh it's more for the artists alley than the dealers hall. Though I do want another knock off Arpakasso Alpaca

>> No.6696854

>>6696610
That's hilarious. You think anything other than getting a CEO that doesn't meddle with the masquerade try to turn it into American Idol can save AX. I know they're trying, but they're fighting some really fucking stupid requests. Don't be surprised when the judges end up including one or all or JNig, Yaya, or Vampy.

>> No.6697014

>>6696740

This.
Although I am buying a badge because I want to support the con and keep it as fun as it is, don't want them copping out on a smaller venue or something.
The cosplay scene is alright, I definitely participate during the day. But once the sun goes down...

>> No.6697074

I don't really understand this anti-tripfag movement. There's less than 100 of us and compared to a big con like Fanime or AX, I don't see how they'd hinder your convention experience. Generally they just stick to themselves and party within their own clique unless they bring a friend.

I feel like this is an example of "STOP DOING WHAT I DON'T LIKE AT CONS, THIS IS DUMB! YOU'RE DRUNK STOP IT!"

>> No.6697137

>>6697074
This pretty much.

It's like, if you don't like to party or drink or socialize in that way, then....don't?
But there are a lot of serious cosplayers who do like that sort of thing, so it just doesn't make sense to hate on it so much.

>> No.6697133

Fanime just announced their first guests. Takahiro Omori and Yumi Sato not bad.

>> No.6697153

>>6697133
Oooh, damn good director guest. They might save the con after all if they have a handful of good guests like that.

>> No.6697162

>>6697133
I wish I had a Baccano or Natsume cosplay...

>> No.6697567

>>6695644

dat one piece swag

>> No.6697600

>>6696610

I'm sorry everyone, please do not listen to Maguma. He has never once had any experience in masqurade at AX. He does not actually know what has been going on for years.

I've been there since 2004 and I especially do not appreciate you calling us shitty. Your beef is with the higher ups that are NOT US, so stop taking it out on us and spreading lies.

You don't know how hard a lot of us have worked and you need to stop talking about things you know nothing about.

>> No.6697624
File: 104 KB, 320x471, 1362096623245.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6697133
Fuck YES

>> No.6697631

>>6697600
>implying you do your job
Totes explain why it's a clusterfuck every time though.
Wait.

>> No.6697661
File: 500 KB, 678x678, 1363392627277.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>This thread

>> No.6697736
File: 2.66 MB, 800x2000, Makoto - Da fuck you say.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6697600
1. I may not have experienced it but I will share what I've heard and that's just how shit goes. I've not heard good things about AX masquerade and I'm sorry that my opinion of the event is not to your liking just as much as people don't share good opinions of things I like or have been a part of. But deal with it.

2. I'm not trying to take it out on you guys specifically, I'm blaming AX as a whole. Again, deal with it.

If there's any more stuff you wanna tell me about my knowledge, opinions, or beyond that, I'll be at Sakura Con, Anime Conji, Fanime, AX, and at the Cherry Blossoms probably next weekend.

>> No.6697854

>>6697631
You don't even know what goes on anyways, so whatever lol

>> No.6697869

>>6697736
Your problems are not any part of us, so YOU deal with your own things and quit trying to drag us down. I know you have no experience because I am there. Each year.
You always rely too much on third hand info even though you've been the one to be "lol give hard info or ur lying!".
Stop, you don't know how hard people work. I can't tell you anything because you'll just put it up here and/or make something up. Your mouth is a liability and you are once again not helping anyone, including yourself.
See, if you actually went through your "source" or us that you know, your concerns would have more credit and would actually be listened to.
I've over and over said to friends that complain in other places aren't going to be listened to unless it's sent through the right channels, which I've tried to provide and they do nothing except go to their accounts or 4chan and just bitch, bitch, bitch. I can't hold anyone's hand and any "credibility" you ever had is just completely out now. I really have no idea why you've gotten so nasty lately.

>> No.6697880
File: 25 KB, 481x292, 1274835580197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6697869
Welp. If we're gonna talk about me being nasty, then I'd say you're sorely mistaken, or reading into something that just isn't there. If you WANT me to be the secret dropping, rioting madman you think I am, that I can do. With ease. But otherwise, chill your shit.

And like I said. If you've got a problem with me, you can always come find me and express your disdain for my current "Attitude problem."

>> No.6697896

>>6697869
you're acting as if Maguma is the only badmouthing AX Masq. You see all these people saying the masq sucks and how it loses out to LCS? If you're gonna call people out who don't like the Masq then at least be consistent

>> No.6697902

>>6697896
If you don't like it, you don't like it. Which is different from "the team running it sucks".

>> No.6697906

>>6697880
If only you can take your own advice. :/

>> No.6697911

>>6697906
Then my apologies for insulting you and your team. My opinion of the AX Masquerade though, which again has been through the word of mouth, still stands as not good.

>> No.6697913

>>6697911
Has been formed*

Let me specify.

>> No.6697929

>>6694608
Animazement has always been small but they've always brought in some great Japanese voice acting guests over the years. Akira Kamiya, Kikuko Inoue, Aya Hisakawa, Kotono Mitsuishi, Noriko Hidaka, and Jouji Nakata have all been guests at the con before. One of the reasons I love attending it every year.

>> No.6697937

PAX is seriously the only con where I can find something to do no matter what time. There is always interesting panels and displays to see and I spent a good two hours just wandering the indie section of the expo hall.
Too bad it's getting super hard to get tickets now. I got super lucky last year and got them before they sold out in three hours.

>> No.6697949

>>6695965
ah, yes, i remember Cosplay Summer Camp...
getting to Lancaster on the Metro system was a bitch, but that one year i went was pretty cool...
>sex con
wouldn't surprise me, honestly, that hotel was pretty quaint...

>>6696343
in the minds of some anon's that buy into b.s. like >>6695252 and >>6695898 , all con is a room party, and nothing is done ever, and no one has any "real" fun 'cuz they're drunk...
which is b.s. precisely because it's almost the opposite of that, the parties won't start until night time when the con itself isn't running much else and peeps just wanna chill and mingle in a more controlled manner...

also, anyone have any decent info on what's up with wondercon this year, i know it's in anaheim at the end of march, but even their website doesn't bring back much...

>> No.6697975

The only way for AX and SPJA to get better is to remove that fat fucker Marc Perez. I heard that fat fuck intentionally put AX 2012 on the same weekend as the X-Games to attract the X-Games crowd to come to AX. Guess what? That didn't fucking work and drunking X-faggots were harrasing cosplayers left and right. That fucking piece of shit needs to go but he has too many dick suckers for it to be possible.

>> No.6697977

>>6691506
>
A lot of people that work in the anime industry in Japan really don't like him though, and I mean they really hate the guy and want nothing to do with him after getting fucked over.

Sauce plz.

>> No.6698181

>>6697975
it was more a historical thing than anything
AX has been held on the first weekend of July for almost every year of the convention

>> No.6698280

>>6697869
AX 2007 contestant here

That was the worst masquerade experience I've had in my life. Not only did you guys delay things so late, but you also flubbed it on winners announcement. Don't go blaming other people, you guys have been messing up left and right even after Kenji retired. I will admit though, that nothing will top the dark age when he was in charge.

>> No.6698289

AX is not good because they've scared off/offended so many people - no one want to deal with all their fuckups, bait and switches, and pissy staff anymore. Only people who don't know better, or who care about publicity over how they get treated, would want to work with AX. Why should they put up with AX's bullshit when there are plenty of other cons that offer better treatment for less trouble? Look at Animazement's lineup, for fuck's sake. They're obviously doing something right.
For AX, expect lots of JNig-type "guests" (new to the scene, looking for self-promotion, with no substantial reputation to bring large numbers of people in) because they can be appeased with a free badge and a hotel room. Danny Choo's just a creep living the otaku dream, I'm sure the chance to talk about himself some more is the only payment he wants.

>> No.6698320

AX isn't going to get any better with such power hungry people in all the sectors of the con. Even if they get rid of Perez, people below him are just going to fight to abuse their power even more.

>> No.6698337

>>6698320
Everyone good I ever worked with at AX left because of Perez and the power grabbing sychophants below him. I'm actually at the point where I think the only way to save the con is for it to really sell out so all the management staff are paid enough that it's a real job and because it's their job they're not just in it for their own ego.

>> No.6698342
File: 81 KB, 500x362, 1363232249152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw I live 10 min away from SDCC and I never buy tickets ahead of time but still go every year

There are always people leaving that sell their tickets for cheap or just give them away for free. Last year they said they were going to check name badges or w/e, but I got in just fine as usual.

>> No.6698351 [DELETED] 

BS. Yes, you worked hard, but doesn't every department at any con work just as hard in what they are to do?

I heard people from the masquerade, felt as if they were veterans while working the damn event, that you totally ignored outside help.

So BS that you worked extra hard. The only reason you worked hard was because you wanted to do everything yourselves. In turn, you produced a really shitty masquerade. Stop pointing at people and blame yourselves for not being humble enough to ask for help outside your department.

>> No.6698353

>>6697600
BS. Yes, you worked hard, but doesn't every department at any con work just as hard in what they are to do?

I heard people from the masquerade, felt as if they were veterans while working the damn event, that you totally ignored outside help.

So BS that you worked extra hard. The only reason you worked hard was because you wanted to do everything yourselves. In turn, you produced a really shitty masquerade. Stop pointing at people and blame yourselves for not being humble enough to ask for help outside your department.

>> No.6698369

haha oh man, I can't believe almost this whole this whole thread is acting like Fanime is dead and then they pull out Takahiro Omori who directed motherfucking Baccano and Princess Jellyfish. It makes me wonder though, why do cons rarely/ever get the actual novelists/mangaka as guests? Do they figure attendees wouldn't be interested or are the creators just not into public pandering I wonder

>> No.6698377

>>6698369

Probably a combination of the two. Most of the people at anime staff panels are fucking retarded as it is. I don't think I've been to a single one where some dumbfuck hasn't asked the director/whatever of an adaptation "how did you come up with idea for this story?"

>> No.6698378

>>6698369
depending on their work, the asking price could be too high. So far, only Otakon was able to bring in Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto).

>> No.6698381

>>6698369
>>6698378

Manga artists also have pretty insane schedules. I don't think most artists serialized in a weekly magazine could afford to go to a US con unless they were between series or on an extended hiatus or something.

>> No.6698562

>>6698181
>historical
>implying you didn't have a 9 month window to move the con
The LA Convention Bureau or whatever and I believe also the city offered AX a contract to have the con a week after the X-Games.

But nope, Perez went on ahead to have AX on that weekend without informing any board members.

>> No.6698604

>>6698562
Did the board agree and then Perez went "lol veto" behind their backs?

>> No.6698639

>>6698562
How far in advanced was AX notified?

>> No.6698646

>>6698604

It was the other way around, the Board was very weary about the X-Games being on the same weekend, but Perez was all "Fuck it, we can make more $$$ with the X-Games crowd!"

That was the main reason I didn't go last year and I heard horror stories left and right, not by X-Games attendees but even hotel staff are getting bitchy with AX people now.

>> No.6698649

>>6698639

The moment the X-Games were announced which was back on September 2011.

9 months to move, 9 months to plan, 9 months to ask your employer for days off, it was also at a time when school is also out in session.

>> No.6698654

>>6698646
Oh god the hotel horror stories. People who got shafted told me the following

- People were getting kicked out of their rooms for doing nothing (happened to a friend of mine)
- Others had their rooms relocated to another hotel in LA and were given shuttle tickets as compensation

>> No.6698668

>>6698646
This is why I keep my room clean and tip the shit out of everyone that I see, even the front desk person that checks me in and out

>> No.6698720

>>6698668
Only people I tip is the maid and that's a buck or two a day
I guess fucking up my room and not cleaning it is a foreign concept to me

>> No.6699666

You do know none of this shit would not happened to AX if they just moved back to Anaheim.

>> No.6700007

>>6699666
AM2 is held at Anaheim and its not doing them so well

>> No.6700775

>>6700007

AX had a chance to move to Anaheim several years ago way before AM2 was in just some delusional guy's mind.

>> No.6701074
File: 57 KB, 500x375, 1348377070430.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just moved to SF so I am totally new to the cons here.

AoD was enjoyable. It was small but I had lots of fun. It was staffed well and Japantown was a great setting.

Fanime is the con that I'm most excited for, but after reading this thread I'm worried.

AX I am curious about. Part of me thinks dealing with such a massive sea of people will be a pain in the ass. The other part of me thinks that since it's the biggest con in the US that maybe I can see/do some neat stuff that I couldn't see/do elsewhere.

I'm excited to experience these new cons but my expectations aren't too high (which makes me a little sad since I'm still going to pay tons of money to attend these things).

I was originally from Texas and I really am going to miss A-Kon this year.

And as an outsider, it really does seem like the Northeast has the best cons. I think that in 2014 I am going to try to attend cons in the Northeast.

>> No.6701178
File: 951 KB, 400x378, hmph.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6698654
I can vouch for the hotel horror stories. My group and I got relocated to some hotel in Little Tokyo. The shuttle tickets were completely useless and people would have to wait over an hour to get to the con. So we'd just take our car and drive over there... which was a nightmare in it of itself because of the X-Games traffic and absurd parking prices people were charging.

Last AX was definitely the absolute worst I've ever been to. Wondering whether or not I even want to go this year since it's just been getting worse and worse over time.

>> No.6701252

>>6694441
I'm 19 and I agree. Damn all the people I talk to about older anime seem to be 35 and up.

>> No.6701375

>>6701178
care to share us the details of what happened with AX like how you were informed and for what reason?

>> No.6701381

>>6701074

>worried about Fanime

Don't be worried, the people shit talking Fanime on this thread are over exaggerating. It's loads of fun, both as a cosplayer and a partier.

>> No.6701385

anybody know what's up with Fanime and AnimeExpo's cosplay events? (masquerade/cosplay contest)
Fanime is only 2 months away and still no info or registration for the contests up yet.
AnimeExpo, I know it's all the way in July but they don't even have a section for the events. Do they even do a masquerade/contest type event?

>> No.6701392

>>6701381
The fears are legiit first off

>No scheduled up
Cosplayers usually plan what costumes to bring and wear them on certain days depending on the gathering scheduled and events.

>AA Results not posted
Artists need a lot of prep time before a con to finish drawings, take up comissions and make prints. Not knowing if you will have a table means your plans are on hold.

Those alone are big enough to worry

>> No.6701396

>>6701392

Just saying, I'm not too worried about it.
And if you go in with a shit attitude about how things are not up to snuff, of course you'll have a shit time. I try to keep it positive.

>> No.6701426

>>6701396
when you have nothing to worry about other than hanging out with friends, then sure. But some of us out there are doing artist alley, contest, and press-related stuff. We need information as soon as possible to prep for anything and everything.

Keeping positive attitude won't solve the urgency or make the convention get off their ass and actually hustle. Real life doesn't work with a simple care-free positive attitude, and this is why we need conventions to actually live up to their expectations. We're spending a lot of money to go to cons, so of course we expect end result.

>> No.6701445

>>6701426

I'm spending just as much money as anyone else on this convention, as well as putting in a lot of time and hard work on preparations.

Sorry you have a lot to worry about, but just because you feel stressed about it doesn't mean everyone else needs to.

But you're right, we should probably just keep shit talking about Fanime so that no one new wants to come.

>> No.6701469

>>6701445
So you're saying we can't voice our opinions on conventions because YOU don't have anything to worry about other than hanging with your friends and dressing up like chinese cartoon characters while spending money without a care in the world?

>> No.6701487
File: 235 KB, 480x356, kai 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6701375
I don't remember the exact hotel I had originally booked, but it was definitely within walking distance to the convention center as compared to the Double Tree in LT. The email from AX about the relocation was quick to blame the hotel and it was riddled with insincere sounding apologies. At that point I didn't care and wanted to get my arrangements done and over with. I had to make a bunch of phone calls before finally settling things. AX staff are pretty huffy and unpleasant.

I had never had that much trouble with hotels before, it's usually smooth sailing, you know? But on the bright side, we enjoy LT so we spent a lot of time there when we weren't at AX. The service was also very good, the people were really nice and helpful despite our situation.

The shuttles are a huge joke though, I don't think I ever saw it once. I feel bad for the people who had to sit around and wait for it.

>> No.6701490

>>6701445
>>6701469
Expect for the best, plan for the worst.

Then nothing bad happens and life goes on!

>> No.6701506

>>6701490
You speak as if we all live in fantasy place like Equestria or something. Regardless of planning, if bad happens, bad happens. What matters is damage control after the mishap. Nothing will change the fact that something went wrong.

>> No.6701507

>>6701469

I'm just saying you don't need to shit all over Fanime just because you are stressed.
But fine, have a bad time if you want.
I'm going to have fun regardless.
Just trying to give this anon >>6701074
some hope about their first time at Fanime is all I was trying to do.

>> No.6701512

>>6701506
That's the point, dude. You do what you can and try to not let it ruin your day. Life goes on.

>> No.6701518 [DELETED] 

>>6701507
shit all over? Man, you could not have missed out on my point. All I want is Fanime to step their game up. Hell, I like that con. I like the area around it, and the atmosphere at the con is fucking great and all. All I'm saying is that they need to hurry up with necessary information so people can breathe easily.

>> No.6701520

>>6701507
shit all over? Man, you missed out on my point. All I want is Fanime to step their game up. Hell, I like that con. I like the area around it, and the atmosphere at the con is fucking great and all. All I'm saying is that they need to hurry up with necessary information so people can breathe easily.

>> No.6701527

>>6701520
I can agree with that.
I'm sure they will get their shit together soon enough.

>> No.6701533

Does anybody know if Anime Expo this year will have a cosplay contest/masquerade? (not the photo contest)
They don't have any info listed on their website about it (yet?).

>> No.6701534

>>6701533
Of course. It's one of their biggest events. More info will come up soon, I'm sure.

>> No.6701543

Too lazy to quote.

People are complaining about Fanime not stepping up their game because people do depend on some things to be in order in order to plan certain events (i.e. AA).

An example I can think up off the top of my head: say you are a typical AA person but cater to certain audiences depending on what con you are in. If Fanime is your big anime con and then the next one is a comic related one, you don't want to order a bunch of anime related prints/merch and then not be able to get into Fanime's AA and then you have to deal with all this stock that might not be popular at your next event.

And then you're screwed if that's all your events for the year or if your next events are primarily comic related. And if Fanime hypothetically was your only anime con, your merchandise for the following Fanime might not be as popular and won't sell. Then that results in money wasted getting all this stock for nothing.

Another example I can think of is masquerade if you participate in that thought the consequences of not participating is not as "severe" as above example.

---
As for Fanime in general, last year they were kinda late with all their planning too but I don't remember it being as late as this year. I still enjoy the con because of the people...not exactly for its events. But I can understand how people are stressing right now because of their dependence on certain events.

>> No.6701541

>>6701385
AX has a masquerade every year, and I think they are bringing AX Idol back since last year they didn't.

Last year they didn't have much information up until the end, and sign ups lasted pretty long up until the con.

>> No.6701561

>>6701541
They're not bringing AX Idol back due to cost

>> No.6701563

>>6701561
I've never been to Ani Expo but from what I understand the masquerade and AX Idol (from what I understand is karaoke?) are two different events?

>> No.6701646

>>6701561
Do you have a source for that claim?

>> No.6701666

>>6701646
I have nothing official so you're gonna have to take my word on this but this was something mentioned to us during a VA training session with Tony Oliver (one of the dub directors) held at San Francisco early March.

According to him the costs of AX Idol were too high to run the event again which was mainly due to the editing staff. You know that promo vid that runs before the event showcasing the finalist etc. Apparently that one video is super expensive to make as there is an editing team in a nearby hotel waiting on standby who work nonstop to get the footage ready in less than 24 hours. Keep in mind that hey have to go through audition footage of at least 200+ contestants to find the good stuff.

Add to it the general wages of the directors, venue and filming equipment and the bill stacks up pretty high

>> No.6701716
File: 22 KB, 251x231, 1326249592653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6701666
It makes sense to kill it since it has more money going out of it than into it. I dunno, I guess I'll just wait until they announce it's return or demise.

>> No.6701727

I know fanime has a new masquerade person, but really, how hard is it to use last year's rules or steal rules from other masquerades to get something together?

>> No.6701748

>>6701666
I can see that being a pretty possible reason. It wasn't neccessarily my highlight of AX and I assume AX isn't going to die without it obviously.

I also don't know how much of a benefit at all they brought the winners. It was a glorified karaoke fest. I've heard some voice actor winners here and there have gotten shots but also it's due to networking, auditioning, doing the work too, etc. The only winners I can think I have heard of beyond AX Idol is Stephanie Yanez, which I don't like, and then I think I heard from Pamela Moss again but not much.

>> No.6701805

>>6701748
AX Idol is really just a way to get your foot in the door. You still need to audition and network but now you gotta some people who know your name

Many of the finalist got roles working on Kora, Squid Girl, Tropico. A few of them are going to be in an upcoming series that they're keeping hush on

>> No.6701828

>>6701487
the black lady shuttle driver who just went on break during AX and never returned to the convention center was the worst :(

>> No.6702336

>>6689333

>> No.6702669

>>6701666
as someone who works in a similar industry, yeah. Speed is going to cost you.

Good
Cheap
Fast

Pick two. Pick three means you're dreaming.

>> No.6702713

i enjoy getting drunk with people i see only 2-3 times a year

>> No.6702920

>>6696688
Not sure if chairs do...other staff does lurks here though.

>>6701727
Isn't there always drama with Masquerades? It's usually rigged anyway.

>> No.6702975

>>6702713
The only reason why I go to these things.

>> No.6703183

>>6696688
That's the most baseless assumption I've seen on /cgl/ in years.

>> No.6703214

>>6703183
lurk more faggot

>> No.6703222

I actually enjoyed anime expo last year. Didn't have any problems. Some minor annoyances like having to go all the way around because of the x games but it was pretty good. I don't think i have ever had a bad ax. Well only once when i went by myself and didn't sleep for 4 days but i pretend that never happened.

>> No.6703498

>>6703214
I'm not sure if that's ironic, or just down right stupid of you to say that.

>> No.6705331

AM2 dirty laundry here! AM2 is in debt because they totally fucked their hotel contract last year. They don't have any Japanese music guests because Japan hates Chase's guts. The US anime industry doesn't like Chase because he bold-face lies to them. Also, he is a massive cocksucker. Literally. Him being gay is actually his best feature.

>> No.6705362

Was AM2's date next to Japan Expo USA a coincidence?

>> No.6705402

>>6705331
hnngh dem details

Considering they are associated with the godawful Animaid, I'm not surprised this is occuring. But do tell about how Japan hates AM2.

>> No.6705422

>>6705362

I don't think Japan Expo gave a rat's ass about AM2 being on the same date since their guest list is awesomer than AM2's.

I heard Chase tried to do a guest sharing with Japan Expo and they said no. Hahahaha!

>> No.6705441

>>6705422
Japan Expo USA's page has been out for a short time and already has half the likes of Fanime 's Facebook page. AM2 has no chance.

>> No.6705445
File: 11 KB, 312x313, 1363391776490.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So this thread is essentially people arguing with Maguma and butthurt Fanime attendees and snobby east coast fucks attendees kissing Japan expo's ass

I seriously can't wait for that con to do bad

Pacific coast master race

>> No.6705453

>>6705445

Hi Chase! So how many cocks have you sucked to pay off that huge Anaheim Hilton bill?

>> No.6705455

>>6689333

Abandon all hope that AX will get better. After taking over Conji they liquidated all of the upper management or had veteran staff quit. The people that love to kiss ass yet have no skill have been promoted. The rejects who have been denied this whole time is what is left.

AX staff were begged to help a convention they didn't sign up for and don't respect. Instead of hiring people to transition the corporate acquisition smoothly Marc Perez stepped in as acting con chair. What are they going to do with the $50,000 Conji makes in a year compared to how much AX's costs to run? What makes it worth all of the hassle to take over a small convention so that both events suffer? Is this a back up plan if AX dies or something?

>> No.6705523

>>6705455
AX has always had a problem with asskissers rising to positions where they're allowed to make important decisions. Problem is now the competent staff who are trying to keep things from flying off the rails because of Perez are being forced to leave, either because their jobs become unbearable or straight out being fired. Honestly it seems to be a cycle the con goes through, so Perez will fuck up hard enough that the board of directors will be forced to get rid of him, a new CEO will come in and reorg and things will get a bit better, but then it will start again.

>> No.6705530

AX will never get rid of Marc Perez. He has cronies on the board.

>> No.6705559

>>6705523

Sit around and kiss ass vs. doing actual work, yet ass kissing win. Why can't people see through the BS? Is it cause they don't know they're BSing themselves when they talk with people?

Wasn't Marc Perez AV tech before CEO? I heard he worked IT in a hospital, why isn't there someone with event experience as a CEO?

>> No.6705578

>>6705453
and then there is this fag who thinks that someone ranting on idiots is motherfucking chase wang

Am2 is fucking terrible you scrub

>> No.6705602

>>6705578
If you read Chase Wang's press releases you know that he writes a lot more boombasticly, needs moar exclamation marks bro!!!!

>> No.6705678

>>6705578

Shut up, Chase! Go suck my balls. I'll give you $10.

>> No.6705708

That feel when no one realizes that Fanime's been doing shitty because of inside changes of people quitting.

>> No.6705773

>>6705331
wasn't chase supposed to be one of ax's dependable guys back in the "good days of ax?"

>>6705422
>>6705362
according to japan expo they were doing their best to accomodate am2 and thought am2 was still in june so they were going to do august. by the time they talked with am2 both found out oh gee we're on the same weekend and japan expo already had their contract signed with santa clara.

>>6705445
just to make things clear, japan expo is in santa clara. that thing near san jose. that place where fanime is.

>> No.6705835

>>6705773
When did Chase change from good guy to bad guy? I only know him as the guy who likes to walk around talking about his Hollywood contacts till I called him out on PMX's Facebook page.

>> No.6705851

>>6701487
The shuttle system was pretty spot on. Though this may be because I was at the Westin (lol staff). I didn't even know there were shuttles out to Little Tokyo.

>>6701533
There is a masquerade every year. There are talks to bring back AX Idol this year.

>>6701828
Best shuttle driver was the old white guy who would play rock n roll and high five the other shuttle drivers as he drove past them. Then again this was at like midnight and he looked like he was drunk/high off his ass.

>>6705455
We weren't really begged but they pretty much recycled half the staff list into Conji.

>>6705530
No shit sherlock.

>> No.6705859

>>6705835
hell if i know. all i know is that he used to be a big part of anime expo's getting contacts and guests and everything like that.

>> No.6705886

>>6705851
For the record I have 2 AX staffers in my division. I don't know about begging either but I don't think I know more than 10 AX managers myself.

>> No.6705895
File: 49 KB, 400x200, Brazilian Night.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6705886
I didn't mind being incorporated into Conji to be honest. Then again, I like working cons for some reason.

Here's hoping Conji goes well.

>> No.6706109

>>6705895
hats off to you guys who staff time and time again
i would be a good staff member except i know that there's lots of cool stuff happening at the con and i just can't sit and do a job knowing that.

>> No.6706234

>>6705455
>>6705523
>>6705835
I'm confused. The consensus was that people keep saying AX got bad after Chase Wang left but it seems like people hate Chase Wang and his veteran staff as well.

>> No.6706272

>>6706109
Usually our managers let us do shit we want concerning con stuff. They know that working isn't the most fun thing to do so they schedule us before or after panels/events/meetups that we wanna do.

>> No.6706299

>>6706109
>>6706272
This or doing most of your work pre con or running smaller events. Makes life much easier!

>> No.6706314
File: 40 KB, 184x184, top honk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6706299
>crowd control
>before a con
Other than that, yeah pretty much.

>> No.6706317

>>6706314
Pfff you know what I mean, haha!

>> No.6706367
File: 37 KB, 709x723, BOOYAH.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6706317
Also, I enjoyed you complaining about other cosplayers on the bus back to the hotel by the way.

>> No.6706497

>>6706367
Glad you enjoyed it! Which ones were they?

>> No.6706725

>>6706234
Chase when he was at AX has basically put himself in a position where he had more power than the con chair and was using it to further his own goals. If you were one of Chase's friends this meant that you got whatever you wanted for the con, so of course lots of people liked him. Once he was fired by AX and started AM2 it became obvious to more people that he was doing this for himself rather than to run a good anime con.

>> No.6707308

>>6705895
I'm putting long hours into this. I hope so too!

>> No.6707434
File: 50 KB, 209x193, [honking intensifies].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6706497
Don't remember. Something about how some dude though you were Yugi or something on Day 3. You expect me to remember this shit? I was baked out of my mind.

>>6707308
Here, here. It's nice to see some of the Conji staff is here to be honest. Makes you guys seem more approachable if that makes any sense.

>> No.6707875

>>6707434
Ya never know lol. I remember some crazy stuff but that sounds like something that would happen.

>> No.6708319

Marc Perez is on his way to Japan now flying first class on your dime, fuckers.

>> No.6708329

>>6708319
Not my dime! Haven't paid for an AX badge in a looooong time.

>> No.6708348

>>6708319
Me neither. I've never paid for an AX badge but I'm there every year. It pays to be me.

>> No.6708415
File: 62 KB, 573x317, ITS HAPPENING GUYS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6708319
Whateva nigga.

>> No.6708733

>>6708348
be press
free everything
free line pass too

>> No.6709270

>>6708733

Word.

>> No.6709476

>>6708348
ITT butthurt former Anime Expo staff, enjoying life in AM2??

>> No.6709765

>>6709476
Or we either get free badges through work, press, etc. Calm yo' tits

>> No.6709904

Lets see...

ALA - Party Con 2013. I don't remember going to any panels at all at this con. Did see copious amounts of pizza boxes, red cups, and booze. Needs to move to a bigger venue.

Wondercon - It's a neat con, but it should move back to NorCal for those folks. It's a precursor con anyway to having something like SDCC during the winter months.

Anime Conji - Gone down the crap hole with SJPA taking over and the usual in-fighting between staff. Conji has never had great guests, so it'll turn out to be more like ALA eventually as a party con but in a better (and larger) venue. That's if it even survives past this year.

Anime Expo - AX to me has always been about their concerts. If they can't get someone relevant or pull a major concert like Miku, it's going to be a bleh year. This is the con where it's fun DESPITE the horrible planning. They should thank their attendees for that saving grace.

SDCC - As a Comic-Con, it's been a great con. As a Anime-Con, it's been a shitty con. Actually, it shouldn't even be really considered a "Anime-con" anymore - most of the anime cosplayers have been priced out, most of the anime companies have moved out and barely run panels anymore (they only announce things, if they do). If you love games, comics, and webcomics though, it's still a mecca. BTW, there is so much shit going on during SDCC that the con pretty much takes over San Diego. Its almost worth going without a badge because of the outside downtown events.

AM2 - It's a free con. I wouldn't expect much, and you don't get much. Pretty much another Party Con, if people bother to show up - especially since there is barely ANYTHING at the con.

PMX - Another con that should get out and move to a bigger venue. It has a nice mix of events. Oddly though, attendees aren't really all that enthusiastic about this con as they are for ALA 2 months later. It's odd hearing people shit-talk the con DURING the con. Probably suffers from bad timing with their con dates.

>> No.6709937

>>6709904
sdcc has never really been an anime con even "back in the day." most of the anime companies straight up died since the boom wasn't sustainable. it is sad that viz no longer brings big names with them though. used to have names like kubo tite, arina tanemura, nobuhiro watsuki as guests. definitely shows the downturn (that and their booth over the years).

they had eiko tanaka last year though. that was nice.

>> No.6710010

>>6709904
Having PMX move to a bigger venue would be nice. What would you recommend anon? Pasadena Convention Center? Ontario Convention Center? Anaheim Convention Center? LA Convention Center?

>> No.6711062

>>6709904
The former con chair / founder really did want to have ALA's party scene at Conji. I think both day programming and after parties could exist at a convention in a balance but that depends on people putting in the work.

There's really no in fighting like there was last year but then again I came back after people were fired so I don't know if there was in 2012.

Dealing with a bureaucracy and transition sucks. When a staffer says they'll do something then email "hey I was just a transitional leader for this but now this isn't my job go do it" sucks but it isn't fighting.

PMX is locked in for 2 more years, I hope they at least move to the Anaheim Marriott. That hotel has just been remodeled. I scoped out the venue during Vidcon and stayed in the hotel it would be game changing to be there I think.

Oh and SDCC is why SD didn't have an anime con for so long. The media loves to cover SDCC like it is a major cosplay con when the majority of cosplayers can't get in.

>> No.6711068

>>6711062
going to agree on the cosplay part of sdcc
last year was empty as fuck when it came to anime cosplayers. i took so few photos it was sad. i'll probably never go to conji too because "it's also in sd" and i live a 9 hour drive north.

>> No.6711069

>>6706725
I want to know how much Chase stepped across the line with the perks he handed out. Was it something where his bosses should of told him to be more frugal with the perks instead of just firing him or did he really abuse the system?

2 things piss me off about Chase Wang the most

1. The goodwill built around AM2 that it was the knight in shining armor convention for the fans when in reality it drained the community of resources. Good staff went away and it seems like the scene took a hit because of that.

2. Schmoozing and networking get things done faster than doing everything by the book and if done correctly cheaper too. Chase Wang made this way of operating look bad so I speculate that SPJA has cut down on things like guest food is because of this.

>> No.6711092

Hey SPJA, there is Costco in Japan. You should visit one while you're in Tokyo. They look exactly like the US ones. We know where the GR food in 2013 came from.

>> No.6711101

>>6711069
The best example I can give of where Chase really just crossed the line was the year before he was fired. He was starting working with crunchyroll while still in his AX position and CR was given the prime booth location in the dealer's hall (right inside the entrance) for a discount due to some bs "sponsorship deal." Chase's job in AX was to negotiate with industry regarding sponsoring the con...and his job at CR was exactly the same thing. So basically he got paid twice for the same work, AX lost money, and all the other major industry players were severely pissed off.

Within the con it was more subtle stuff. Like if you were in good with him your department's web stuff got processed faster, but if you weren't his buddy it often would get "forgotten" (case and point: karaoke dept for years had to host their own sign up system on other servers).

Basically the man was playing everyone and the only winner was him.

>> No.6711105

>>6711101

chase wang is a real asshole then. so why is this idiot still running am2? why is he still in the con scene? don't the anime industry people know to not give him any business with him being unethical like that?

>> No.6711127

>>6711092
2012 you mean? :P

>> No.6711134

>>6711101
Oh geez... so one year Conji rendteed AV from my brother but I still gave Conji a huge discount. I gave out some sponsor booths this year even though that isn't supposed to be my job but at least Conji comes out as a winner.

As for "forgotten tasks" that's messed up. It is one thing to help streamline stuff for a friend but to block programming that is just sad.

>> No.6711137

>>6711105
I've wondered that too but I guess it was because he was so popular that enough people were able to keep him afloat the whole time?

I've always called out Chase Wang at every opportunity I got because I think it is unfair he hasn't been ousted from the scene.

I feel bad for the innocent people staff AM2 but I've always advocated for that con to go bust and its DNA released back into the wild :P

>> No.6711158

>>6701487

>I feel bad for the people who had to sit around and wait for it.

UGH FUCKING DAY 2 OF THE CON. Though to be fair, this was like at 12am so I understand there'd be a ton of people left waiting to get back to their hotels and maybe not as many shuttles running. I stayed at the Westin, so my bus was route 1 I believe?

I think one bus each was running for the routes, because I remember a handicapped/wheelchaired person having to be boarded onto our shuttle and we had that same shuttle coming back to the con to pick people up. They placed the person in the middle, blocking half of the seats. So because of that not as many people got to board each trip and the rest of the seats were still cut off. I seriously did not get back to my room until 3am. I’ve rode the shuttles 12am in 09’ and 11’, and despite the long lines it didn’t take that long and I just hope that getting to the con and back will be much easier since the X Games won’t interfere.

>> No.6711174

>>6711137
me and my press friends go out of our way to pretend he doesn't exist even when encountering him in person

>> No.6711297

>>6711068
Isn't it a bit silly to be expecting a lot of anime cosplayers at a comic convention?

>> No.6711822

>>6711297
in previous years there was quite a lot