[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 118 KB, 1004x661, eh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6672636 No.6672636 [Reply] [Original]

Maybe I am an old fart and haven't gotten the memo on how conventions invite their cosplay guests now a days but I'm starting to see a flux of young cosplayers talking about how they need their "fans" on tumblr and instagram to tell conventions to invite them. Some, as the one in the picture, going as far as demanding all expenses being paid for travel, accommodations, and misc spending. I can understand asking for some things paid for if you win awards for the costumes you make but most are in ebay and Milanoo bought cosplays >.>
Anyone else see this craziness going on and think eh?

>> No.6672645

I barely understand cosplay guests in the first place. Especially when they hire cosplayers who are basically models (other people make their clothes and that kind of thing) and have them do costuming panels. Makeup or posing I could understand, but costuming?

>> No.6672667

>>6672645
Those boggle my mind completely at cons. I've been to panels where people have asked construction questions and the response has been "this is the store you can buy it from". Makes me feel old since everything pretty had to be made when I started cosplaying >.>

>> No.6672676

I don't understand cosplay guests at all, at least not how they are currently.

A cosplay guest who works as a professional prop maker, seamstress, etc for larger budget productions or with other professional experience I understand because they have something to offer the con goers. Cosplay guests who are founded or help run charity projects (cosplay for a cure, cosplay for a cause, that group that visits sick kids in hospitals) sure.

But cosplay guests nowadays are often just local cosplayers, who would go to the con anyway. I've never experienced a guest that actually had credentials outside of the hobby itself.

I also don't understand people selling signed photos of themselves at conventions. I get people like Yaya who have a large fan following doing it because they have a fanbase, but I mean people who just hit 1000 twitter followers are trying to cash in. I wish we could rewind the cosplay community about 5 or so years to when cosplayers were just fans in costumes.

>> No.6672682

I don't think cosplay guests should be guests if they didn't make their costume themselves. What do they have to contribute to the cosplay community? I don't think just telling people where they can get a costume from should be allowed. I think a qualification for cosplay guests should be that they contribute something to cosplay, whether it it be actual tips on how to make a costume or like video editing or something, you know?

>> No.6672706

haha, no con is going to cover shit like that unless they are pro, and even then it's still unlikely.

Cosplay guests are not a good return of investment. They are nice to have to offer some good panels and make the cosplay contest enjoyable but no one is going to go to a con because X cosplayer is a guest.

>> No.6672710

>>6672682
This.

I don't get why anyone who isn't a professional or at least a Master-level costumer would ever be invited as a guest. Not making your own costumes is just absurd. What will you talk about or offer? At least Yaya and JNig have professional experiences, and Yaya makes her own shit.

Are you really so cute you think you should be specially invited and paid for and that your ability to wear something and look good in it is that high?

I swear being mediocre to somewhat pretty looking and not fat is becoming the new standard for people thinking they are guest material. To hear some of the newbies I know wanting to be guests when they've never competed, have only been going to conventions for a year or so and just barely know how to sew makes me want to slap them upside the head.

>> No.6672721

>>6672636
How old is this kid anyway? If you need to ask your parents to appear somewhere you are too young to be asking to be guest at anything.

>> No.6672730

>>6672710
>JNig have professional experiences
You lost me there. Can someone explain about this?

>> No.6672749

>>6672730
>JNig
Shortened version for Jessica Nigri

>> No.6672754

>>6672721
She's 14 turning 15

>> No.6672759

>>6672730

Not the anon you're replying to but I don't think she's invited because she's a professional cosplayer, I think they invite her because she's a professional attention whore. They KNOW that her legion of drooling fan boys will purchase tickets to conventions she goes to.

Although I find her annoying I appreciate that she tries to learn more about costume building. She recently made a video with Punished Props showing how you to cast shit.
http://youtu.be/IYc-9bMFr4c

>> No.6672763

>>6672754
This explains so much -__-;

>> No.6672780

>>6672706
I don't think she actually thinks any convention would do that for her. I saw it as "this is the only way I'd be able to go to Malaysia." Well, I hope she doesn't think any convention would do it for her.

>> No.6672792

>>6672749
I know who she is, not quite what I'm asking.

>>6672759
Thanks, that's what I figured too. It is kind of good to hear that she's learning. With the attention she gets, it can be used in a way to benefit other interested people who want to start cosplaying by bringing attention to better professionals.

>> No.6672805
File: 111 KB, 1010x621, ya.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6672780
Sadly Upon Reviewing this one particular individuals instagram, she's not joking. Separate picture asking the same thing

>> No.6672821

awkward equalsshit tier

>> No.6672830

>>6672805
Eh she's a spoiled kid right now, no biggie. She just thinks very highly of herself and probably imagines that her online friends will buy her stuff. Either a) she'll grow up and realize she's be a needy kid who isn't self-sufficient or independent in any way or b) she'll keep asking for stuff and eventually become an e-whore, aka look at this seck-say body boyz buy me tickets~~~ but she's too young now to be able to judge really. She wants no work only play like all young teens.

>> No.6672836
File: 1.93 MB, 235x240, Jeremiah Johnson nod.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6672792

Yeah, as long as she puts effort into learning I'm okay with her, still a bit annoying though. I also like that she endorses people (or at least she did with Punished Props) she commissions from, thus bringing them new potential clients and fans. If she keeps using her powers for good I won't have any beef with her.

>> No.6672850

>>6672836
It's bittersweet like that, isn't it. I'm a bit annoyed of her as well but whatever.

>> No.6672855

>>6672730
Jnig doesn't have professional cosplay experience in the same since Volpin or Yaya or GStQ do. She has professional experience as a hired model for various companies. She was the official Lolipop Chainsaw girl and what have you. She's been to Japan as a costumed model.

She should never be on a panel about craftsmanship, but modeling or cosplaying abroad sure.

>> No.6677239

Really kids like this need to live with in their means -_-;. I've seen quite a few post like this talking about how they want to visit friends elsewhere but don't have the money for travel and need to be invited to see them. They should worry about school and less about trying to get a free ticket to things.
In life you don't get everything you want and stuff like this, not actually having won any cosplay competitions or work on anything elaborate outside the box like Vocaloid, only makes people think your a brat and want all the rewards with none of the work xP

>> No.6677295

This is actually very common in latin america. Cons invite well-known cosplayers and pay for both travel tickets and living expenses. (Food/hotel)

>> No.6677830

>>6677295
If you're a well known cosplayer then I can see being invited but this pertains to unknown kids who want to be invited and have everything paid for. Would you as a convention chair pay everything for someone who people don't know and doesn't even make their own cosplay?

>> No.6677872

So how do you become one of these famous cosplayers?
I'm attractive
Good at sewing + props
Not a landwhale

I want to go to cons for free

>> No.6677924 [DELETED] 
File: 40 KB, 356x354, 1311752531728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6677872
1) Do a cosplay of a popular character that is exceptional/exceptionally sexy. Cosplay must make people go "OMFG look at her!" If you can't do this IRL at a con alter yourself as necessary with photoshopped pictures and post them online.
2) Promote the fuck out of yourself with your own website, deviantart, twitter, tumblr, and facebook fanclub dedicated to yourself (friends are good startup fans). Treat your deviantart and Facebook like magazines revolving around yourself for which there is continual new content for people to subscribe to.
3) Post continual new pictures and photos of yourself, making sure you look beautiful in all of them (photoshop as necessary). If you go for more than 2 weeks without a new picture for people to oggle then don't bother.
4) Attend every single major convention. Meet up with other famous cosplayers socially at them. Get their info and socialize/compliment them on the internet later. Do not stop until you acquire at least 2 famous cosplayer acquaintances (Yaya Han and Jessica Nigri are easy targets). Post pictures of you with said famous cosplayers and mention such sweethearts they are. This will help brainwash people into thinking you're good enough to be accepted into the fraternity of famous cosplayers.
5) Make threads about yourself on /cgl/. Be prepared to defend yourself while pretending to be a fan of yours.

Do all this and you should be a famous cosplayer in roughly 16-24 months

>> No.6677943

>>6677924
Not the other anon, and I know it's really vain, but I really want to do this. I'm just planning on getting plastic surgery next year and kind of wanna wait until then so I dont have drama surrounding being fake..

>> No.6677969

>>6672682
>What do they have to contribute

How to pose
How to apply makeup
Things to watch out for with comissions/ordering outfits
Recommend comissoners
Interesting stories while at cons
General QA
Give tips on how to market yourself

You can easily fill up a 1.5 hour panel with all that stuff

>> No.6677974

>>6677943
First mistake. To be famous, you must be real even is you're 100% fake. Make sure to lie to your fans and tell them how you never had surgery in your life and anyone who says otherwise are jelly.

>> No.6678003

>>6677974
Yeah, that's why I want to wait. There aren't many pictures of me online, and they're all poor quality or strictly from flattering angles (I've been very conscious of this at cons).

What's the first mistake exactly? I dont intend on letting people know and just dont want to try to get known before so I have a shit load of pictures to compare to

>> No.6678032
File: 29 KB, 420x315, 1361574205841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think that starting out a lot of younger cosplayers want to be "Cos-famous" simply because they feel that is the only level of fame they will ever be able to achieve. This used to just be a dumb phase but now with social media being what it is it's turning into something more than that. They don't understand that a grand majority of the most well known cosplayers are gigantic elitist dildos who are way too committed to a dressup hobby, and they don't know about communities like this that are chock full of jealous petty bitches that are more than willing to tear down their reputation any way that they can. But with many things in youth the only way to convince them that it's not as fun as it seems is either for some kind of scandalous drama to occur or for them to just grow up a little and realize that those bitches can suck 50 dicks because this hobby is supposed to be fun.

>> No.6678056

>>6672805
mfw when aicosu does this same exact thing, with even less maturity. sharpie tattoos will not get your fees comped by a con, sorry ladies.

>> No.6678058

>>6677830
some smaller cons who do not have the resources to provide for well-known cosplayers might invite just appealing cosplayer. You know the type that are not bad but are not great either. They're usually looking for a pretty girl with hot bod or a handsome guy to attract more people to the con.

>> No.6678061

>>6678003
You seem to be taking something that doesn't matter way too seriously, you should stop. If anything is going to draw negative attention it's crazy.

>> No.6678068

>>6678061
negative attention is the best/fastest way to reach any kind of fame

example (yaya,J-nig,kim kardashian)

>> No.6678091

>>6678068
YaYa and J-Nig have a large group of positive attention that generally outweighs the bad outside of the internet.

Also, cosplay fame isn't real fame. You're retarded if you think it is. YaYa is the closest for having actual fame considering she actually got to host on a tv show.

Being cosplay famous is the equivalent to any either person being well known or recognized in a niche community. Ex: a person could be famous in the BJD community for having gorgeous dolls or something, get invited to be a special guest at bjd events.

But that fame is extremely insignificant

a well known local indie band has more significance than cosplay fame

>> No.6678109

>>6678091
well what I meant by my post is that starting out all 3 people I mentioned had mostly nothing but negative attention it wasn't until later that all the negative attention started turning into positive and gaining a fan base .

>> No.6678122

>>6677924
Networking is more important than promotion..

You can get invited to smaller, more local cons as guests without being a big deal if you know the right people, are proven to be a reliable non pain in the ass and can at least make things to some level.

Basically you can promote the shit out of yourself online and it not do much but if you are likeable and prove yourself to be a decent person, you'll make friends and they'll help you out.

Be prepared to do some favours and genuinely help others. Do panels and workshops because you enjoy it and you actually want to.

>> No.6678126

>>6678109
J-Nig didn't start out with negative attention, the attention she got was the slutty pikachu cosplay which got her really popular with men because it was slutty

that's positive attention really

>> No.6678247

>>6678126
Really whether it's positive or negative is up to the person, to J-Nig she took what otherwise would be a negative reaction to slutty Pickachu as a positive thing to get more famous. On the opposite end of that is Yaya who even though she has a lot of cosplay/photos centered around her bust she gets mad on facebook and take its negatively to pretty much the same situation.
Two people famous for pretty much the same thing, showing off their body, with two different attitudes about it

>> No.6678414

>>6678122

This. Self-promotion gets you nothing online if you do nothing to help others. Lots of people expect that with the fame comes all the offers, but nobody will offer you anything if you don't volunteer your time for things other than yourself.

>> No.6678449

>>6678247
I think we're going away from the original argument of the anon taking something that is overall insignificant with too much effort to require with no large benefits(aside from maybe attention, or silly/creepy gifts from fans from a niche group) and is taking the whole thing way too seriously and seems to care way to much what said niche group will think of them

>> No.6678456

>>6678414
Yeah.

Also if you don't like the idea of any of those things, volunteering, doing panels or workshops then you will find the novelty of actually being a guest wears off very quickly anyway.

Oh and don't use people. Seems obvious but people are acutely aware when you're trying to use them for personal gain. Help because you want to, get involved with things you actually enjoy. If you want 'cosplay fame' just for the sake of it, people will know and you'll fall flat on your butt.

>> No.6678474

>>6672636
BTW, from Malaysia here, & Comic Fiesta is our biggest convention. That said, we will not have such a budget to pay (& this girl is seriously asking for too much, plane ticket + accommodation + meals + souvenirs + EVERYTHING? For three person? IMPOSSIBLE!) We managed to have Redjuice, Danny Choo, Shimokawa Mikuni, Bless4 and so on AND THEY DO NOT DEMAND FOR THAT MUCH. WHUT?

At the end, if you want to demand for stuff, ask yourself what can you bring to the convention? We can't possibly fly you all the way from USA to do nothing.

And who is this girl BTW? I do not know her at all.

>> No.6678482

>>6678414
Doing tutorials definitely helps put your name out there. Not only does it show that you know how to do something, but also that you're willing to share that knowledge with others.

>> No.6678505

>>6678474
Let me clarify, I'm not the committee member =) Just an enthusiastic visitor who have supported CF for a while XD
I'm just sick of people demanding for so many stuffs from conventions when they can't possibly bring stuffs to the convention... >___<

>> No.6678797

>>6678474
OP here, a girl from Florida that goes by the cosplay handle MomoSweetCosplay. I believe someone above said she was 15 turning 16.

>> No.6678816

>>6672805
she's using a stolen picture too, how classy

>> No.6679222

||>>6677924||
What would some of those characters be? Homestuck? Adventure Time? Comic book characters?
I don't want to be jnig slut-efamous.

>> No.6679541

>>6672636
>Anyone else see this craziness going on and think eh?
the only crazyness I can see in the picture is those things kagamine rin has on her wig. put some white real hair pins on instead of 4 rectangles of foam, jeez.
>>6672645
>I barely understand cosplay guests in the first place.
>a prize of recognition of their hard work.
>most suited people for judging any cosplay contest.
jelly much?

>> No.6679558

I have no issue with cosplay guests. In fact I have been one myself but it makes more sense if the cosplayer has actually made the costume or has something to contribute to the community. When I did my guest spot I did a couple of panels but didn't sign any pictures of myself. I find the signing of pictures a little weird as I don't see myself as famous.

I get why conventions do have cosplay guests as they are something that attendees are interested in seeing. They can be cheaper than getting a voice actor so its a good way to pad the guest list. But I definitely think the cosplay guest should be someone who can do something more than just pose.

Btw, I was asked to be a guest and was really surprised to be asked as I don't consider myself as well known at all.

>> No.6680201

>>6677872
>I want to go to cons for free
Have a friend in the organization who provides a free pass to you. I'm a nobody and even I can get free to the convention I usually go to.

>> No.6681642

>>6672706
In all honesty, It would definitely be a decision maker if Spiral Cats attended any conventions in my area. I idolize them.

>> No.6681674

>>6678122
Weren't you supposed to be at a Vegas con?

>> No.6681692

>>6678474
>Redjuice
I'm moving to Malaysia.

>> No.6685550

momosweet is certainly cute but her cosplays aren't that high a quality and she is clearly keen for attention/a massive weeb. This sought of cosplay I don't really be promoted in the sought of proffesional light (sponsored to travel overseas/travel AT ALL to cons).

>> No.6685571

raging @ OP's pic

>> No.6685725
File: 89 KB, 469x464, 1325668333707.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

jfc another inflated cosplayer ego story, wonder where this one's fro--

>>6672805
>going to megacon

well shit

>> No.6685835

Is there any set recipe on becoming decently cosplay famous and getting invited to cons? Not have the con pay for you to be there necessarily, but to be a listed guest. So far I got

1. Don't be a dick
2. Have something to offer, be it workshops/panels/volunteering
3. Start at small conventions, work your way up

Is there anything else I missed? I don't relaly have much to offer for now, but i'll be starting a three year college fashion and costume design program in the fall. Hopefully i'll come out of there with some really nice sewing skills. I like volunteering for conventions though.

>> No.6685841

The only time a "cosplay" GoH is reasonable is if you were like, "hey guys, we got a team from Weta Workshop here."

>> No.6685898

Let's be honest though, the kid is fishing. No harm in asking for everything, expecting nothing. It's like a free lotto ticket.

>> No.6686646

>>6677969
google can do that in less than 20 minutes....

>> No.6687061

>>6678032

Pretty much the cosplaying community summed up in one post.

>> No.6688323

>>6685835
Where I'm based cosplay guests usually have to have won an award or something on top of the things you have listed. I don't think any cosplayer will get invited if they haven't got some kind of recognition in the community.

>> No.6688490

>>6685835

The problem is there is no sure fire way to get the exposure to become a guest because some cons don't have staff that is in the community. At a convention with a cosplay head that is actually a cosplayer doing what you have just listed plus having a few awards would be a fine recipe. If the convention has no one on staff in the community though then you probably won't get noticed at all. Thats how people like Yaya and Jnig get invited, they market the shit out of themselves and so someone who isn't a cosplayer still knows who they are.