[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 35 KB, 255x194, SIRcanx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6668960 No.6668960 [Reply] [Original]

Just found out that Steampunk Industrial Revolution got canned due to some sort of mysterious douchebaggery. So two questions:
1) Anyone know the details of why exactly it was shut down?
2) I know there is no love lost between /cgl/ and steampunk "cosplayers" but do you think this is a signal that it has peaked and is headed back into deserved obscurity

>> No.6669035

How is one tiny nothing con (in the scheme of things) dying supposed to be a 'death knell' exactly? Not even a steampunk, just don't get it.

>> No.6669348

I know the details, but I really don't want to share why it happened. It's a fat load of drama and the con didn't want to make a decision either way, so they cancelled. (which is retarded on their part.)

It's really NOT the end of steampunk- If anything, it's just going to get more popular. The drama was revolving around a few particular individuals, and not the north east as a whole.

>> No.6669617

>>6669348
You don't have to name names. C'mon. Inquiring minds want to know!

>> No.6669643

Steampunks are as bad as cosplayers and lolitas in terms of petty drama, despite being generally older on average- maybe worse since you get author etc drama in there, too. It blows my mind how bugfuck some of the 40-50-somethings in this community are.

sage for off-topic, just my observation- but not surprised

>> No.6670129

Little birds told me it had to do with a guy named Jeffrey Lilley .

>> No.6670168

The staff was going to let a violent jack ass go to the con and do nothing about him.I hear he was on staff or something. So a lot of people said they where not going to go and why. Below is from a FB page of some one who was going to be a guest and pulled out.

"It is with regret that I announce that I will not be attending Steampunk Industrial Revolution this year. This is an issue of safety, and I feel that any steampunks who are considering attending the event should be aware of the reason that I (and others) will not be there.

An individual, who is a member of the steampunk community, and who has a history of violent behavior is on staff for SIR, and will be in attendance. This individual has been accused by multiple other members of the steampunk community of sexual assault, and publicly attacked a member of the steampunk anarchist community at a recent event. When requests were made to the con organizers at SIR to address the issue of this individual's presence and to have some discussion of hwo people (particularly women) would be able to feel safe at their event, all concerns, as well as the people voicing them, were dismissed. Nothing has been done to either hold this individual accountable for their behavior, or to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for others at SIR.

I urge all of my steampunk comrades to do what they feel is right. But I, for one, do not feel comfortable either attending an event with this individual present, or supporting an event that shows so little concern for the safety of its participants."

>> No.6670197

>>6670168
>attacked a member of the steampunk anarchist community
somehow i just find this ironic that they didn't like it. yeah, they just want to be costumers but come on, if you're going to have anarchy as part of your thing, get with it.

>> No.6670621

>>6670168
So the convention's response was to pull the plug on the whole thing? That seems like bush league shit. If one person is causing problems, drop them. Problem solved. No?

>> No.6670625

>>6670168
>sexual assault

lolno

>>6670621
No logic

>> No.6670630
File: 12 KB, 258x196, angemilk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6670197
>i think anarchy means violent(apparently sadistic) idiots

>> No.6670639

>>6670129
So who is this guy? Should I know? Is he a "big deal"?

>> No.6673058
File: 182 KB, 720x960, 487453_466580066697444_742284671_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the guy who's the problem his name is Jeff. He's a lame LARPer type who's best friends with the people running the con. He was on staff for it cuz they're friends. The big problem is the con was started really to make him and the other people running it "Super Cool" in the steampunk clique. So when his asshole violent behavior toward everyone fucked that chance up they just shut the con down. They chose the drinking buddy over the safety of the people paying to go to the thing. Really stupid of them. I'm glad I never bothered with anyone who had anything to do with this thing.

>> No.6673986

Honestly, I don't understand what the big deal is.

He should have been suspended from the next few conventions due to his behavior.

On the other hand, I've been around this dude- He's just a wildcard. I wouldn't say he goes around punching everyone in the face, but when he's drunk, the chance of him blowing up is greater. He's pretty easy to avoid, and he's been to SEVERAL conventions. This isn't new behavior. I wouldn't consider him a threat to "public safety" either, that's just a load of shit. (Note- I am not friends with him. I think he's a pretty terrible person, and thought so before all this recent crap went down.)

I don't understand why the drama started in the only steampunk NH con- it's like they wanted to kill the thing.

Anyway- What's stupid is that it really wasn't up to the convention to decide on his attendance either way- it was up to his group to handle it, but so far I haven't heard a peep from them.

>> No.6674000

>>6669348

Please let us know, you don't have to name names. I had significant money invested into this con

>> No.6674003

>>6673058

>GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS GEARS

Holy shit I love steampunk but putting random fucking gears everywhere does not a steampunk make.

>> No.6674042

>>6673058
>a sword made of gears
Now we just need a shield and a suit of armor made of gears and we'll have seen everything

>> No.6676949

>>6674000
Steampunk chronicle had a really good article about why it closed.

It was pretty much drama over this guy, as well as financial reasons. They couldn't ban him and be seen as a con that'd kick people out because of accusations, but they didn't want to be known as the con that lets bad behavior slide either. The con was just too fragile for what happened.

I will be interested how the next convention is affected by this- Closing the convention means that the issue on the whole wasn't dealt with and it's likely the drama will start again before the next convention.

steampunkchronicle.com/ArticleView/tabid/238/ArticleId/405/Tale-of-Two-Cons-Ripple-Effect-in-the-Small-World-of-Steampunk.aspx