[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 488 KB, 500x313, 1353862578204.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6655994 No.6655994 [Reply] [Original]

I fucked up /cgl/

I completed something, almost all the way to the end, only to realize there was something... off, about the sizing. Turns out the blouse I was making was roughly 4 INCHES too short in the bust. And I have to have this done by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

To celebrate my idiocy, can we have a thread about our cosplay fuck ups. Share that time you knocked over that paint bottle, forgot to check the temperature on your iron, or remembered the color differently when buying fabric, because no matter what way you look at it, you gotta start over.

>> No.6656004

i sewed a set of pyjama pants all the way shut when i was 13

>> No.6656009

I was 90% done a costume once when i melted my marking chalk into the front if it. White top, yellow blob in the middle. Also it was the night before the con and I didn't have extra fabric and the stores were all closed.

>> No.6656011

I was styling a wig, had another character in mind and ended up cutting the bangs way too short.

>> No.6656013

Painted a jacket, laid it on the floor to dry. Cat wants in so let him in without thinking.

>yellow paw prints, yellow paw prints everywhere

>> No.6656018

used eyeliner for face paint once, cut HORRIBLE lopsided bangs on a wig, bought a costume online and ordered it in my pants size, not realizing asian sizes =/= us pant sizes and it was WAY too fucking small on me.

>> No.6656081

>>6656009
I've done this, too. Luckily my garment was self-lined so I ripped out the corresponding lining piece and replaced the damaged piece with it, then made a patchwork piece from scraps to replace the lining.

>> No.6656115

I once went to line a bodice and managed to sew things in a circle so that it could not turn right-side-out. It was escher's bodice from hell.

>> No.6656122
File: 46 KB, 374x480, Bristol_Renaissance_Faire_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

spilled nail polish remover all down the side of my satin elf dress right before renfaire.

Stained it pink and I had to wear my hotass cloak all day to cover it.

>> No.6656185

>>6655994
>remembered the color differently when buying fabric

Something like this. I got green material for my Lightning when I first made it. Seems the reference picture I brought wasn't quite screen accurate with colors. However it shrunk when I washed it (how often can you say that??, so I was able to remake it quickly enough.

>> No.6656190

>>6656185
For the skirt. I somehow forgot to mention that. Sage because I'm retarded.

>> No.6656202

>>6656115
I've done the same thing on my Jedi robes. Took me ages to figure out that clusterfuck.

>> No.6656212

Oh god where do I even start.

I guess my biggest blunder was being a new cosplayer, accidentally buying screening ink stuff and not fabric paint, and wondering why nothing was working out right.

I fucked up that shirt so bad...

(sorry to mention homestuck cosplay but my second mistake for a beginner cosplay was thinking using 5 packages of paper clay to make Tavros' horns was a brilliant fucking idea)

>> No.6656299

I watched the girl I used to sew with drop hundreds of dollars on the wrong fabric tons of times. She would either go into a fabric store on a whim and buy six metres of a fabric she thought was perfect, get home and realize it was wrong or have a reference with her and buy things that didn't look remotely like the picture. I swore after the first five or six times she must be colour blind, because she would have a reference where the shirt was obviously red and end up buying a dark maroon convinced that it was the same or 'actual red won't look right in photos with flash'. Suffice to say when the costume was completed, it just looked wrong in real life and wrong in photos too.

She would also look at a reference once and then sew something, and what she remembered of the costume and what it looked like were often very different. If the character was wearing a long dress she'd sometimes end up with a top and a skirt. She was a perfectionist sewing wise, but she could get an entire design and colour wrong and just go 'oh well' and not care. I have never met such a backwards-minded person.

For my own fuck-ups, I am the queen of backwards. I have sewn sleeves on backwards four times in a row. I do everything backwards at least once, even if I stare at it for ten minutes and tell myself which way is the right one. My biggest fuck-up was cutting two of the same sleeve out of leather that I didn't have enough to cut another sleeve from, so I was screwed.

>> No.6656445

>>6656011
I've done this. And it sucks.

>> No.6656454

Sewing sleeves inside out pretty much every time I sew in sleeves.

Trimming seams and you're going too fast so you cut into the actual fabric (done this three times so far)

Cutting fabric to ready for hemming only to realize you cut it way too short.

Buying fabric online and when it arrives it's the totally wrong color and the line of fabrics has just been discontinued so you're fucked in the ass and have to use another brand of fabric that photographs differently from the other 75% that you've used.

>> No.6656461

>>6656454

Or buying fabric online you thought would be good and it being completely the wrong type. Bought peachskin thinking it would work for a pirate coat (it said suiting) and realizing, nope, I just dropped $30 on lining material.

But I still have some AND have been able to use it, so not such a loss.

>> No.6656947

I was installing eyelets while drunk yesterday and while all the eyelets are done perfectly, I somehow managed to punch 4 holes in parts of the jacket that definitely do not need eyelets.

>> No.6656956

Continuous fucking plackets. It doesn't matter how much I study them and their instructions, I always fuck up at least three things.

>> No.6656975

>>6656454
I've done the first and second too many times...

>> No.6656977

Forgetting to shorten the torso in a dress by 2-3" even after you made a muslin beforehand so you could fit things right (that shit is totally unfixable without starting over from scratch..)

Forgetting you were going to redrape and cut your patterned pieces to the proper cut of the garment before getting halfway through putting it together.

Thinking the fabric you're working with will roll properly when you stitch in the ditch (nope, not spandex).

Sewing shit together backwards/inside out. Styling a wig in mirror image. Wearing your accessories to a shoot in mirror image. Not realizing something was falling off until you get the photos back.

I could go onnn and on... I always seem to do this.

>> No.6656980

I once had about an hour to complete a cosplay. The person I had comissioned was lagging really far behind, and if I didn't step up, it wouldn't have been done. I had never sewed before, but it was just making sleeves and a collar and sewing them onto a dress, so no big deal.

I accidentally sewed the cuffs onto the sleeves inside-out.

Still managed to fix it in time for the event, but it was close, and didn't look as good as it could have.

>> No.6656986

>>6656461

This. Mine ended up being some sort of stretch fabric thing that I have no idea what to do with it? Haven't figure out how to sew it let alone what to do with it.

>> No.6656993
File: 29 KB, 510x480, 0068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My lining bunched up while I was cutting it and my back piece came out about 3 inches too narrow. I didn't have enough left to cut the piece again so I had to split it up.

I realized the night before the con that I forgot about the dark blue shorts that were supposed to go under my costume. I tried to dye a pink pair and they came out bright ass fucking purple.

I had some stuff that I had to sew into my dark brown wig and I grabbed my dark green thread. Didn't realize it until I was at the con.

All on the same costume.

>> No.6656998

>>6656445
Sure does man.

>> No.6657021

I was airbrushing a body suit and realized I needed to redo the shoulders so I switched out the paint from brown to bright yellow and forgot to spray a bit to clear out the darker paint before moving onto the bright area... giant brown spot on my yellow shoulder...

>> No.6657031

>>6656454
>Sewing sleeves inside out pretty much every time I sew in sleeves.
>Trimming seams and you're going too fast so you cut into the actual fabric (done this three times so far)

These... so infuriating.

Also:

- Using velvet, seems like a lovely fabric right? MESS EVERYFUCKINGWHERE and it shreds if you're not super careful with how you do seams. Stearing clear of this shit for a long time.

- Ironing white costume, see some "stains" and think "Ok, I'll wash them out after the con"... didn't realize my iron was leaving those stains. Thankfully it was only on the lining which didn't show.

- Things that always are fucked up? Being an XS-S female using mens patterns because the design is perfect for what you're making. And yet every time, I am shocked when a mens XS is nowhere near small enough for a ladies XS-S despite what those dimensions are on that fucking envelope. I actually cut out my costume inside the pieces I cut following the Mens XS pattern.

- When you wear a costume at a con for like 2 hours, get home, look it over, and think "I only wore it 2 hours and there's nothing on it, I didn't sweat at all in it. It's probably ok to not wash this time." Then the next time you get your costume out you realize you definitely should've washed it because there are spots on it.

>> No.6657204

Cutting a wig only to realize you had it on the wig head lopsided (now I triple check and pin it in place with a billion pins)

Sewing in zippers. Just that. Fuck zippers.

Hand stitching on white fabric and you don't notice you've pricked your finger and you bleed all over it.

>> No.6657247

>>6656115
the escher reference made my day

My sister once wanted to iron her just finished costume the night before the con. iron was too hot and melted right through the cos. she was a lot younger then and my mum had to redo the damaged part of the cos while my sis cried really really hard. felt terrible for her but it ended up being ok.

>> No.6657295

>>6657204
Ugh, I did that last one with some lace that was the focal point of the costume. It wasn't a trim, but a lace design over the bodice so I was hand-sewing it to make my stitches invisible. Invisible stitches don't mean shit when your lace is red.

>> No.6657300

>>6657031
Pattern sizes are always fucked though. I always go 2-3 sizes smaller than what the pattern tells me my size is, and I still need to take my muslin in.

>> No.6657308

Cloak for the Hufflepuff house. I didn't fold in my seams or anything, just put it all together with several colors of understitch, the seams all raggedy and stringy. Took me so long to cut all that fabric and sew it all together. I finally sucked it up and UNSTITCHED EVERYTHING to sew it back together correctly...

My sewing machine broke.I never got it to work. I couldn't afford a new one.

We don't ever talk about the cloak. Ever.

>> No.6657323

>>6657247
just remembered two of my own fuck ups
one night before the con i was very tired already but my cos was still missing 3 pairs of snap fasteners. I managed to sew on the first pair wrongly 4 or 5 times before finally getting it right and when it didn't get better with the second pair I just said : fuck it I'll use safety pins.

the other time my best friend and me were running late with our cosplays and since she was working on some of my stuff I wanted to do something good and cut out her fabric... forgot the seam allowance... i just cried then and there cause I was so sorry. we had to buy new fabric because of that (which I paid and which was nicer in the end) and still we finished both cosplays on time. lucky us!

>> No.6657337

>>6656454
>Trimming seams and you're going too fast so you cut into the actual fabric

This is my BIGGEST FEAR

>> No.6657365

I once tried to make two pairs of boots for the Siesta Sisters from Umineko. I had never made boots before. I will never make boots again. I WASN'T BORN TO BE A COBBLER. The epoxy failed less than an hour into the con, leaving me and my friend with nigh-unwearable sticky-bottomed boot covers. We don't talk about it anymore, and I stick to things I can actually do.

>> No.6657381

>Painting on details
>KEEPS MESSING UP
>mfw I get frustrated
>mfw I mess up even more because I'm frustrated

I keep telling myself to be patient because better to do it slow the first time than having to redo it a dozen more.

>> No.6657405

When I first started out, I bought a knit pattern for a cosplay and purchased a woven fabric. It was a lesson learned.

>> No.6657866
File: 46 KB, 745x587, toaster2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am going to bump this with a small story from years ago.

Two nights before a con I had been sewing for several hours non stop in the dorm commons area. I was using a very flammable fabric and an old sewing machine with a bulb that got very very hot. I am not sure how it happened for certain, but my fabric actually caught fire while in the sewing machine.

I gave up, that vest was not meant to be.

>> No.6657874

>>6655994
My first experience with French Seams. I forgot to leave allowance for them. I can fit into the outfit. But man is it snug D:

>> No.6657892

>>6657405
I've done this before and had it turn out just fine, but it definitely depends on what you're making.

>> No.6657893

Next in line for workmanship judging, so proud of my costume, and then I realize that in a rush that I had sewn the ruffles on the sleeves on backwards, so you could see the fold PLUS, of course, it was the only edge I didn't serge the fuck out of. And of course it was the first detail the judges looked at.

From now on, I am devoting a couple hours before every con to go over the costume inch by inch to catch anything I fucked up on

>> No.6657902
File: 582 KB, 350x280, 1346897090848.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was painting a pair of shoes orange for a Tsuna cosplay and because I'm an impatient fucker I set the shoes under a really bright construction lamp (the kind you would see hanging from the ceilings in caves) so they would dry faster.

I had forgotten about them overnight and I woke up to find them with large brown burn marks on the heels and slightly melted plastic on the tounge.

I washed them and repainted them so it wasn't a big disaster, but I'm never doing that again.

>> No.6657914

>>6655994
-Being to lazy to seam rip something properly, so I ripped the seams apart and end up tearing my fabric.

-Sewing thirty seven snaps in the wrong way because I wasn't paying attention.

-Hemming twelve yards of skirt before noticing my bobbin ran out.

-Working with one way stretch fabric and I cut all the pieces out the wrong way so they didn't stretch.

AND IT ALL HAPPENED ON THE SAME COSTUME. God that was one nightmarish project

>> No.6657918
File: 84 KB, 720x960, 429459_10150624683643350_983219911_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To this day I can't figure out why I fucked up these pockets so badly and why I didn't notice

>> No.6657944

>>6656115
Trying to make a kimono and keep fucking doing this on the sleeve lining. Can't figure out what the fuck I'm doing to make it do it either.

>> No.6657990
File: 62 KB, 600x446, snaaaaaapppsss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6657914
>SNAPS
Thisthisthisthisthis
I did this in class so many times because I could never tell which part was which (and my nails were too short to pry them apart if I snapped them together)
Then someone explained it really well but all I can remember is that the female snaps have ovaries

>> No.6658005

>>6657914
God damn. Can I ask which costume? And did it turn out?

>> No.6658020

>>6657914

The whole bobbin running out is the biggest annoyance when I sew! You have no idea until the end!

Anyways recently I managed to paint a symbol on a blouse crooked and I just have to work with it now.

My very first sewing project was a disaster, didn't know how to sew drat shit and sleeves, bust and zipper were all a huge mess. Thank goodness I'm so much more experience now.

>> No.6658026
File: 350 KB, 784x976, 118278011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6657990
If I look at them carefully, it's pretty obvious. I just was rushing and not paying attention at all.

>>6658005
It was for this. I made a lot of poor choices, like deciding to be clever and not have a zipper - instead I quite literally wrapped myself into it and snapped things as I went. It turned out okay, I ended up fixing some things but it's wearable and doesn't show the pain that went into it, thankfully.

>> No.6658039

I once read measurements incorrectly for a friend's cosplay and ended up making a fancy jacket with these extremely ornate and detailed sleeves that were about 5 inches too long.

>> No.6658060

>Cutting pattern out, material has repeating pattern match along seams
>Repeatedly cut pieces such that pattern is off by less than a centimeter
>Finally get repeat issue resolved on right side, go to cut other side
>End up cutting right side piece again by mistake

Also:
>installing invisible zipper
>baste like mad and check alignment on waist and armscythe
>everything is perfect
>use invisible zipper foot and sew in permanently
>waist no longer lines up
>armscythe crooked
>rip zipper out
>repeat three more times before realising lining was getting in the way

This one is less fuck-up than stupidity that could have been easily avoided by reading directions: after nearly ten years of sewing I JUST learned that you can figure out where to attach the back half of a snap by inserting a pin through the hole in its head, snapping it into the already attached front, then "closing" the garment. Sigh.

>> No.6658105

Go with fabric sites that do swatches, or ask for one, generally they'll give you one for a few bucks.

>> No.6658114

i learned that superglue reacts with cotton and some wools the hard way

it gets really hot, releases nasty fumes and can ignite itself

>> No.6658137
File: 103 KB, 700x700, 1355612107097.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>My face when sewing linings before learning what bagging is

Also, I've sewn almost a hundred suits and I still cannot get cap sleeves perfect the first time. I always have to pull some threads, straighten, and resew. I hate them and want them to die. Easily the longest part of a project, and I have to do them twice over because the lining has them.
Do you guys talk about sewing here a lot?

>> No.6658146

>>6657990
I hate snaps so much...
>>6657204
i've done this before on a white dress. Just.. ugh. It comes out with peroxide, but i didnt know that back in 2001.

>> No.6658147

When I finish a mock-up and only have to extend one side by an inch or whatever and then it's done, I leave notes for myself in multiple places reminding myself to add the increment when I cut it on the final fabric so I don't have to make a whole new pattern piece and waste muslin. I think every single time, "I'll remember!" and forget every single time. Good thing I bought way too much fabric for my newest costume, since I ended up using almost all the leftover fabric to re-cut the pieces. Herp a fuckin' derp.

>> No.6658166

>Sewing cuffs onto sleeves inside out.
>Following patterns incorrectly... multiple times.
>Using brown instead of black thread.
>Thinking some part of the costume is easy and totally forgetting about doing it.
>Sewing long stretches of fabric, not realizing another part of the garment has slid under the needle, sewing both parts together.
>Cat likes to walk across fabric as I cut/measure it. Go to pick him up and he clings to it with his claws, puncturing it or making runs in it.

I'm sure there's more. I'm one of the many queens of cosplay fuck ups.

>> No.6658235

-It doesn't matter that I bought like 80 yards of fabric, I'm still going to get to cutting my last pattern out and be short by two inches.

-Even if I used a pattern to cut out fabric, one sleeve is always going to be bigger than the other somehow.

-Sewing through layers of heavy fabrics? My sewing machine is just fine. Sewing some thin cotton? The needle breaks off and hits me right between the eyes.

I think my most memorable and recent escapade was finally putting the "skirt" portion of my robe together. It went on fine, but it refused to come back off for fuck knows why. Spent about an hour writhing around on the floor before I had to cut myself out.

>> No.6658316

Oh man, ripping the seam open by force and ending up ripping the fabric is way too familiar to me.

I also once ended up ironing a small, finger print sized hole in my Ranpunzel costume's sleeve. I managed to cover it with some decoration stitching though, so no permanent harm done.

Once when I was making pockets, the fancy type, I didn't pay much attention to the pouches, and they ended up breaking during the con. So I had to dig for my phone from the inside of the lining near the hem of my coat because it had slipped through my pocket to the inside of the coat.

>> No.6658367
File: 93 KB, 318x258, 1321172012629.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6657204
Dad showed me in detail how to use the zipper foot on his sewing machine. I copied him exactly (I thought) and still couldn't get it to work properly.

I gave up and ended up handsewing the zipper on my jacket. It turned out fine, but it took a long time.

>> No.6658460

This one happened to me yesterday!!! ....*cry*

>>That feel when you unplug your hot knife, which has a has an on and off switch that was set to off, versus your hot glue gun which does not.
>>That feel when you get set a nicely made piece beside it
>> That feel when you go to work and your cat jumps up on the table, and knocks the piece on top of the hot glue gun, to scortch and melt a hole through a piece of it.

I'm going to kill my cat. It's not even my cat...
The cat does it to spite me. It knows I'm bigger so it can't take me head on, it has to strike at my will one day at a time.

>> No.6658461
File: 306 KB, 400x399, tumblr_llrtrgjqzk1qkt7y5o1_400.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6658166
>The cat stuff
FUCKING FUCK CATS.

>Letting knit fabric rest before cutting it, leave it alone for an hour, come back to it balled up and made into the perfect cat bed
>Oh you left a bobbin out? WE WILL PLAY WITH IT UNTIL ALL OF YOUR BEDROOM FURNITURE IS CONNECTED.

>> No.6658531

Oh man these cat stories are making me cringe, I used to have three in one house. I could never get any sewing done.

I remembered though the worst blunder I've ever done, it ended up with my mom and I throwing a fit and abandoning the project together. We were trying to make a skirt, and then have a sheer fabric overlay the skirt. Problem is, said skirt had a scalloped edge to the bottom we wanted to keep level with the rest of the dress.

I still can't figure how we DIDN'T do it right. I still cant. All I know is we wasted like 5 yards of that fucking stuff and ended up both flopping on the couch and crying afterwards.

>> No.6658539

I was working on a skirt for a friend and my family had a new kitten that sucked on fabric (he was a "wool sucker") who would pee a bit while doing that. I had the skirt in my lap, he jumped up and drooled and peed on it before I could detach him from the fabric. Fortunately we were able to wash it, but I lost a lot of time.

>> No.6658903

>>6658461

You're lucky all yours will do is play with the thread. My cat eats any type of string, which is quite lethal if it's long enough.

So for ANY sewing project, I have to completely put it away in a drawer at night, cover the sewing machine, put all threads up, vacuum, AND use a lint roller on the floor to get up all strings. I don't have a room I can close off and use for sewing, so this is my life for every costume or lolita piece I sew.

I usually end up accidentally catching part of the skirt or sleeve hem as I hem it or add ruffles. Just ruffles in general.

Recently I was sewing an overskirt for a new coord and was cut the fabric the wrong way for the pattern. I was able to do a hasty job of surging the ends and sewing it back together, but I could have kicked myself for doing all the measurements and calculations and then still cutting it the wrong way. On a rectangle skirt, no less. No more sewing lolita coords the week of an event.

>> No.6658907

>Last day before con, really stressed about the costume
>Only thing that is needed is to make a button hole
>Since I'm arriving late I ask my maid to do it
>She does it
>In the back of the costume

>> No.6658912

>>6658907
> Ask maid to do it
> has a maid

GTFO you entitled lazy cunt

>> No.6658913

>>6658912
Since when is it wrong to employ a person and pay them a salary?

>> No.6658918

>>6658903
My cat thinks pins are the most fascinating thing in the world, and will sit there and systematically pull pins out of my pincushion/fabric when I'm working on things.

It's so bad that half the time I have to lock him in the garage so I can actually get shit pinned together

>> No.6658963
File: 33 KB, 277x278, 1350324895227.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My cat also likes to chew on pins and I have to pull them all away so he doesn't actually put an entire one in his mouth and choke.

Also crazy dogs that chew anything they can pull off the table, including a box full of a ton of spools of thread.

All of my thread!

>> No.6658992

>>6658913
If you're bitching in a thread about personal cosplay screwups about your maid, who did you a fucking favor by helping you finish a stupid costume last minute, then yes that is pretty much the definition of entitled.

>> No.6659032

>>6656299
I have definitely been the colourblind one before. :( I have a hard time identifying the difference between a dark blue and a dark purple, so I definitely bought 6-7m of nice bridal satin thinking it was dark blue. It was fucking indigo, too purple to be blue. It PHOTOGRAPHED blue, that was the kicker. I bring my camera with me fabric-shopping to see how it will look in photos, and it lied to me that time. Since then I've learned to ask for swatches of something that's as close as possible to what I want, then carry it around the fabric district as a point of reference. That way I can hold it up to rolls of fabric and immediately know whether or not it's even remotely close to what I need.

I also try to bear in mind how much colour factors into character recognizability. If most people use royal blue for a character and it's royal blue in the majority of references, it's probably best to avoid using the obscure visual novel references where it's navy. (I'm looking at you Saber)

>> No.6659125

>>6659032

I have a friend with that same problem. Halfway through the day, she realizes she's wearing purple when she intended blue. And watching anime with her... we'll be a few episodes in and she suddenly exclaims, "What color is their hair?!"

I imagine trying to do costumes in kinda a nightmare.

>>6658918

Thank God mine doesn't eat pins, since I will find one I've missed on the floor. Or more likely, find it IN my cosplay. Ouch.

>> No.6659193

CATS. I only have one and he is such a pain! He steals all my cotton reels if I don't put them back in their tin straight away and chews on my tape measure. I now have spare tape measures for when he chews through the one I use most.
Fortunately he's only ever peed on my fabric once when he was a baby. I think/hope the scolding he got has scared him away from my fabric for life. It's the only time I've ever REALLY shouted at him.

>>6659032
>>6659125
So many people struggle with distinguishing purple and blue, don't beat yourselves up about it!

>> No.6659432

>>6657381
this so damn much

>> No.6659457

>>6658907
no anon... SHE dun goofed.
This is for YOUR fuck ups, not your maids. It's kind of lame to have someone go above and beyond their job only to bitch about the favor.

>> No.6659464

>>6659193
This is why I keep my cat out of my work room. However, doesn't stop small children.

A friend of mine was working on a joint project with me. Because she had a much younger sibling she offered to do the sewing while I built the props. She thought that a young kid around props around a kid would be chaos.

What she didn't allow for was that her young sibling was a sneaky little shit who managed to get hold of the key for the work room door. The sibling got into the room, stole all the rather expensive fabric for our project, taken it to their room and managed to completely destroy it.

We didn't have the budget to replace it so we had to forego the project. The young kid was grounded but the fabric was never replaced. Parents thought that we shouldn't be spending so much money on cosplay.

>> No.6659484

>>6659193
>>6659464
My cat is not allowed in my work room, either. Doesn't mean she doesn't manage to sneak in sometimes when I've got my arms full going through the door. I'm honestly less concerned about her ruining things than a customer getting their item and having a massive allergic reaction to her fur or dander being all over. So she stays out as much as I possibly can.

The only thing I've made that I can say she fucked up intentionally is our sheer drapes. She doesn't claw or scratch anything else, but somehow, she can't resist those.

Oh. And petticoats. If she gets anywhere near anyone in a petticoat, she starts climbing legs to find out what's up there.

Polite sage for lack of sewing goofs.

>> No.6659508
File: 128 KB, 280x210, 1316844351523.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread is why I am terrified to make ANYTHING and spend hours looking at projects imagining all the ways I could ruin it permanently before I start.

>> No.6659693

>am lolita
>am good at sewing/cosplay
>always asked why I would spend upwards of $100 on a dress that I could sew
>stare them in the eye
>mouth the words
>"fucking ruffles"

>> No.6659699

>>6659693
I know, right? Man, I've used 522inches of ruffles. I have the ruffles made, but I've stopped putting them on the skirt. My machine can't handle them, so I gotta do it by hand. ._.

>> No.6659723

The night before the con I shortened my dress a bit too short... and the two ends of the hem had about a 1.5" difference. It was a dress that buttoned in front.

I still don't know why "I'm going to chop off like 8 inches without measuring or marking!" was such a great idea at the time.

In general though, sewing things right side-wrong side gets me a lot, as do pattern sizing goofs.

>> No.6659765

>>6659693
THIS. Holy crap, more than anything else in the world, this.

>> No.6659802
File: 278 KB, 500x499, tumblr_lpdrd1iKWv1qkt7y5o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Forever me and sleeves. On time I'd like to be able to do those shits right with out sewing them in side out or the wrong way first. I forever hate sleeves.

On one particular jacket I remember it took me 5 times till I finally got one of them right, then another five times on the other sleeve. In my defense I was very sleep deprived and not quiet sure what my mental process's were trying to get that shit together. That was the same night I was stupid and didnt put my hair up and ended up sewing over my hair. That was fun.

Also
>Just finished a shit tone of ruffles
>bobins out.

My rage. It was uncontrollable.
Pic semi related.

>> No.6660112

>Use same pattern for two pieces, ends up being to different lengths or entirely different.

I'm not even sure HOW I managed that. Lucky for me, I start by sewing the lining first so I could fix it before sewing the other layer wile the lining ends up with awkward piece to make everything look alright.

>> No.6661135

> people ITT keep getting sleeves wrong

How are you guys doing it? I do bodice inside out, sleeve right side out inside bodice, sew, and I've never put one on the wrong way 'round. Perhaps you're doing something over-complicated?

Although, if you mean you keep mixing up your left and right sleeves, I can't help you.

>> No.6661339 [DELETED] 

>>6659765

When you're trying to finish a skirt on a short timeline and forget to put a knot in the other end of your basting stitch to make the ruffle... and when you gather it the thread slides right out.

But seriously, they make ruffler feet for your sewing machine that do the work for you. I don't have one, but ruffles are THAT bad to sew. Easier than pleats at least.

>> No.6661342

>>6659765

When you're trying to finish a skirt on a short timeline and forget to put a knot in the other end of your basting stitch to make the ruffle... and when you gather it the thread slides right out.

But seriously, they make ruffler feet for your sewing machine that do the work for you. I don't have one, but ruffles aren't THAT bad to sew. Easier than pleats at least.