[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 48 KB, 533x800, 1356376208859.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6627545 No.6627545 [Reply] [Original]

I’m writing this with the knowledge that my idea has a very, very slim chance of success. But, given that CGL is very aware of the failings of western indie brands, I thought, ‘what better place to figure out what it would take to succeed?’ Obviously this kind of thing wouldn’t see any profit for a year or two, if that. It would take a lot of work and some non-lazy faggots who aren’t delusional to see this through. I’ve been involved in several project and ended up being the only person working after a few months who doesn’t see this as play time. And I’d like for that to change.

I was one of the people on the Cirque de Jeu team that got involved in the Mashimaro Girl debacle about three years ago. I don’t expect anyone to remember. But, aside from Fei, the team indie brand thing seemed to work out pretty well. We had samples from a factory in China, and we were able to produce dresses at around $40 a pop (not including the initial setup fee with the factory). My question is, are there any actual skilled seagulls out there that think they might want to join an indie brand project? Only dreamers with skills or on the track to education/experience need apply.

I figure we’d need:
(1) Business educated or experienced person to deal with the business aspects and money matters
(1) Native or fluent Chinese speaker and writer to communicate with factories
(2) Designers for logos, prints, dress designs, graphics
(1) Fucker that everyone will hate to get one everyone’s ass, deal with customers, etc.
Maybe (1) Code monkey for the website, setting up a cart system, etc.

>> No.6627624

I'd be interested in working on this project, as I'd love to see a successful western indie brand. The only thing that I could see being a problem would be the start-up costs associated with such an undertaking.

>> No.6627640

>>6627624
What's your AIM?

>> No.6627656

I'm currently in school, studying fashion design. I can do patterns, dress designs, ect.

I'm busy as hell though with school, so I'd need way early heads up for anything due.

>> No.6627657
File: 43 KB, 405x420, 1343168830367.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6627640
>AIM
MY TIME MACHINE WORKED
I'VE SUCCESSFULLY TRAVELLED BACK TO 2001
TIME TO WARN EVERYONE OF 9/11

>> No.6627661

>>6627656
I was more thinking of a way distant launch. Like, maybe 2016. Would you be out of school, then?

>> No.6627671

I'd be interested if you need a code monkey. (Computer Science student here)

>> No.6627675

>>6627661
Defiantly. I'm on my second year now and there's a possibility that I'll be staying a third year. I ought to be finished early 2015 at most.

>> No.6627676

>>6627675
**Definitely.

Autocorrect!

>> No.6627679

>>6627675

That's good. Do you have a tumblr or an AIM or something I can contact you on?

>> No.6627687

With that many people and selling skirts for $40, how are you planning on sharing the money?

>> No.6627692 [DELETED] 

I'm a psychology major but I would like to help in the art for the dresses. It's a hobby. Here's my email if you're interested.

>> No.6627694

>>6627545
You'll also need to invest in a good camera, a good quality dress form to display the clothes on, and/or some cute models once things get going. But that would be waaaayy down the line.

>> No.6627698

>>6627694
Yeah. That's years and years in the future, if it even works out. Hence why I'm not worrying about it right now.

>>6627687
Most businesses lose money in the first few years. The point of manufacturing is that you can (in theory) get a higher quality product, and thus can charge more than $40 a skirt.

>> No.6627702

>>6627679
you should probably get an IM program that people actually still use, OP. like skype.

>> No.6627704 [DELETED] 

>>6627679
Here's an email. I can send the links for Tumblr and such there.

Once I get an email I'll delete this post.

>> No.6627706

>>6627702
I'm kind of in the stone ages here. Lemme get on skype. It's game.master14

>> No.6627707

>>6627704
I've got your email. You can delete your post now.

>> No.6627757

I'd be interested to join, but I'm located in Europe. I'm not sure, if that would work out (time difference)!?
I could work for the corporate design and could take a part on the print design (legwear and asseccoires for example)

>> No.6627763

>>6627757
*accessoires

>> No.6627794

I've always wanted to help design prints and such. what kind of prints where you thinking of? i can give you my email and I can sketch a few things if you'd like?

>> No.6627819

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could you make some non-print items as well as print? I am so in need of some well constructed basics for casual wear and layering, and have been wishing for them for years.

>> No.6627821

My favorite thing about buying from western clothing makers is getting a custom tailored product and getting to meet the person who produced it or at least talk to them.

I don't want to buy from a western bodyline.

>> No.6627855

I'm in Japan, I've got taste and I can do design work. Not prints if you want them do be more than about two colored, but logos, bits and pieces, here and there. Also very familiar with judging clothing on quality, and good at picking up trends, what's going to make it big and be popular.

But OP, hardest thing you're going to face with a team of people is keeping a consistent vision. Collections need a look to unite them, and brands need to look like, well, themselves. If you have a team of people, make sure 1- 2 people are designing the items and maybe one max is doing prints, if you go for them.

What indy brands need to distinguish them is what brands often shy away from. Interesting textures (more lace-as-fabric, brocade, dotted swiss, tulles, chiffons, velvet that isn't Christmas designs), different fabrics (wool, cotton sateen, linen look-alikes), unusual trims (buttons from various materials, grosgrain ribbon, overlays). And biggest of all, what an indy brand needs, is more than just dresses. Any fool can make a print dress, and lots of them do. Make a matching blouse. Make parasols in more colors than pink, white and black. Have matching tights and little white gloves. Do it big and make a statement.

Personally, I've got a notebook with a million designs. Who doesn't? But OP, you've got to have a vision. Someone has to steer this project. Someone has to tell it where to go.

>> No.6627877

>>6627819
It's called Taobao.

You plan has little to no appeal to me, as I can buy off Taobao, and getting manufactured in China, while it is cheap, just means the Chinese will steal your designs and sell them themselves.

>> No.6627881

If you've got skype, feel free to join in on the conversation.

game.master14 is my sn. Add me.

>> No.6627888

>>6627877
That's the main reason why I've decided against having anything manufactured in China. You know you'll see your things being re sold for half the price within 6 months, not to mention the general sketchy quality of chinese products. I'd much rather spend extra to have things manufactured where I can actually meet and speak with who is making it. Plus it would be a boon to the local economy; too much stuff is outsourced to china to begin with, with questionable practices regarding workers etc.

>> No.6627939
File: 437 KB, 1600x1200, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6627545
My self-designed print arrived in the mail this morning. Some seagulls may remember it in a thread from a few weeks ago. Pic related.

Also I would be very interested in designing logos/motifs/print patterns

>> No.6628061

>>6627939
god that's boring. so boring.

>> No.6628070

>>6628061
Why? I wanted something simple and toned down, so that's what I made.

>> No.6628080

>>6627939
Hey, I remember you!

Where'd you get yours printed at? That is so daww.

And ignore the other anon. Honestly, I find that many prints have way too much going on. I LOVE the pasted tones of this. I really hope to see at least a skirt from this to see how it'll look!

>> No.6628086

>>6628080
Yes! It was printed on 6oz cotton from fabric on demand, I got way more than I expected (it was going to be for a skirt) but I think now it will be a JSK with matching bow. Maybe there will be enough for a skirt leftover! Will have to see.

>> No.6628088

>>6628086
Good luck! How wide are those stripes?

>> No.6628092

Do you already have an idea of what you want your brand to be different from the others? And which style will be your brand focus?

I think that what lacks to most "indie brands" we see around here is that they are not... indie brands. Most of them are just one seamstress that does stuff on demand and sometimes makes their own fabric with Spoonflower.

If you have a clear vision, know the basics of the market you are going into and has the money/time/investors, you can success.

I'm not really into designing for fashion, but if you need anything like visual identity for your brand I might be of some help.

Also, you can just use something like Magento or PrestaShop for your webstore. That saves a lot of time!

>> No.6628094

>>6628070
Sorry.. different anon but it really is terribly boring, and I'm not even a print person. And to me, it honestly looks like bedsheets. I don't know if the color is really as washed out irl as it looks in that photo.

>> No.6628099

>>6628094
>looks like bedsheets
I'll admit, I was thinking that, too. Though I also can't really tell how the quality is. Especially since i have no clue if "6oz" cotton is any good.

>> No.6628114

>>6628099
Well I assume it is heavier and therefore a thicker fabric

>>6628088
Thank you! I'm not sure I'll take a look when I get home from work

>>6628099
I suppose I will wait and see how it turns out, it looks a bit plain spread flat on an ordinary surface especially because it hasn't been constructed into a dress yet,
So I suppose that's understandable. It was just a one off to test the waters so we shall see!

>> No.6628123

>>6628092
Agreed. If this is actually going somewhere, like, lasts more than a weekend before OP decides it's a bad idea, I could be interested. But nothing sucks more than being the only person to commit.

>> No.6628146
File: 34 KB, 173x173, creepcake_remake23_shop_thumb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/dreamcircus
These prints are cute and would do well if she finds someone to make clothing from it!

>> No.6628190

this sounds interesting! I'm based in LA and have a bfa in design. If you're serious about this OP I'm more then willing to help out.

>> No.6628236

>>6628114
Umm. 6 oz probably refers too the fact that the fabric weighs 6oz/yard .

So it's a fairly medium weight fabric, at least if you want to compare it to Spoonflower's stuff.

>> No.6628242

I'm interested in seeing where this goes at least. I've been living off the profits of my own small business for about a year now so I have a little knowledge of marketing,sales,etc.

>> No.6628478

I don't think cutesy prints are the way to go, people want something a little more weird and edgy. Do stuff that Japanese brands won't do and you'll get cash money. Maybe like a skeleton army herding people into hell? Pugs with little shoes on? Anatomical models? Ethnic lolita prints are popular now too.

>> No.6628490

>>6628478
Now I want ethnic pugs in little shoes herding anatomical models into hell.
Goddamn it

>> No.6628497

>>6628478
God you have some disgusting taste.

>> No.6628501

>>6628497
Just saying what might sell dresses. The kids want the weird stuff now man. I don't even wear prints myself.

>> No.6628520

In terms of what sells, the big brands stay in business because the boring - black pink and ivory, generic dress designs - is what sells. All the odder designs and prints that people squee about, but don't actually fork over money for until they go on sale, are just that. I'd be careful about the recommendations for weird shit because heaps of people will say omg I need it - and maybe 1 of those people will put their money where their mouth is and fork over to reserve it. Check out fashion-incubator.com for an interesting discussion on what constitutes good design and some of the considerations you need when starting a brand.

http://fashion-incubator.com/archive/what-kind-of-designer-are-you/
http://fashion-incubator.com/archive/where-and-how-do-you-start-a-design-business/
http://fashion-incubator.com/archive/what-do-good-designers-have-in-common-pt-2/

>> No.6628528

>>6628520
I'm confused.. that would mean you're saying all the reserves that sell out instantly on both international and US sites for prints for brands like AP are not actually selling?

>> No.6628546

>>6628528
I think >>6628520 means that nobody will really buy that Dr Who playing ping-pong with an octopus print and other lulz geeky random shit that people say they want

>> No.6628550

>>6627545
You might want to get Choke for #1

>> No.6628552

>>6628546
Oooh ok I understand. Stupid nerdy prints like that are such a joke.

>> No.6628554

>>6628550

LOL

Good one, anon

Choke has no idea what she's doing. People buy from her because she is a popular figure on the EGL community and takes good pictures. That's pretty much it.

>> No.6628563

>>6628554
Exactly, that's why you should get her for it.
You need someone who is well known to draw attention to the project.

>> No.6628575

>>6628552
It's like how everyone says "I would kill for a Dr Who print/something creepycute/etc" but as soon as someone releases it there's something they don't like about it or it's not quite what they imagined and they go buy the next brand release.

>> No.6628582

>>6628563
IDK it seems better to stay away from high profile people to avoid dramu in the beginning .Sending some e-famous people samples or asking them to spokesmodel would be good though after the actual product comes out.

I'd be glad to translate and communicate with Chinese factories and suppliers, as well as do some basic website graphic/banner designs if required. Native speaker, but I'll be in Singapore around your predicted release date. Still, it'll be cheaper to mail swatches there than the US or Europe.

Fabric printing and sewing companies need to be separately contacted to avoid people selling designs out the back door. I can also ask taobao indie brands for reputable factories who won't leak their designs. The best way to control that flow would be to buy up our own damaged or flawed prints as well and sell them at a discount or a giveaway on Tumblr/Facebook to promote the brand.

This looks interesting, but I'll keep my doubts. Once fell into a VN project that went nowhere after a year of planning. Best of luck though anon, I also daydream about starting my own indie brand.

>> No.6628599

>>6628146
T_T omigawd anon thank you so much for linking. these designa are just gorgeous and I can't wait to masomething out of them!!! ^^

>> No.6628817

>>6628520
I guess this really depends. There is a significant hole in the brand prints where something quirky like they were suggesting would fit. I would picture it as not quite as cute as meta, but not as overly printed like JetJ. A well functioning indie brand could snuggle into that spot with it's cute pugs in shoes and creepy anatomical skeletons.

The thing too is that most indie brands that attempt this don't know print design as well as traditional brands so the good ideas tend to fall flat- or be unavailable due to retards running the company. I would have loved to have bought a vintage unicorn print, but the one that came out months ago- while well constructed and overall well received, just wouldn't stand up in my closet as the print itself looked lacking. I also would have loved that print with pomeranians and rats, but the people selling it weren't willing to sell it online.

It's really the combination of good designs, good prints, good quality, and good marketing that makes a brand successful. If you're lacking in one of these areas in the beginning, it WILL fall apart.

>> No.6628820

>>6628817
You have to add in a good and stable investor. Look at Rouge Aerie, she has a flair for really cool prints, her designs are unique enough but still sticking with an aesthetic that isn't eccentric... but it just doesn't appear that she has the backing to keep it going... it's been months since she released info on the mermaid print or sewn any new couroskel jsks. If she had proper backing she could contract seamstresses and get the ball rolling on a new printer.

>> No.6628985
File: 188 KB, 408x1166, cage-black.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi, OP.
I'm graduating with a degree in Illustration from my art school this Spring. I've been thinking about doing exactly what you're talking about here, but I don't really have the financial accumen to run a business. I've been drawing up designs for patterns, though, picture related--this was a prototype for another print in the works right now. Drop me a line in an e-mail and we can exchange contact information. c:

>> No.6629072

>>6628985
Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

>> No.6629076

>>6628985
dude, you need a pretty bird in dat cage and also make the white lines thicker or if it smudges on dat print, you'll be soooo outta luck

>> No.6629100

>>6629076
There's different types of birds in each cage on the finished product. The linework isn't actually pixelated like that, I just made it B&W and ran it through Adobe Illustrator before I posted it because I didn't want to make it super easy for folks to grab. Art school makes you paranoid like that about putting your work online.

>> No.6629101

>>6627545

You know what, the fluent in Chinese part can be incorporated into the business person.

>> No.6629106

>>6628985
yikes- where are you graduating from, art institute?

>> No.6629221

>>6629106
what is this 'yikes'...? It's not like I'm submitting a W.I.P. for my BFA or even my portfolio. I really don't see the relevance of where someone's degree comes from, but no, it's not AI. Or SCAD.
see >>6629100
this is not at all indicative of the finished product. :/

>> No.6629235

>>6629100
Don't worry, I don't think anyone will want to "grab" your ~*original design*~

>> No.6629266

>>6629235
you sound really pissy for absolutely no reason. I'm not trying to be a special snowflake here, I'm not looking for asspats, all's I'm saying is that art theft has happened before, and if I'm planing on selling the finished product then it would be pretty dumb to put the fully illustrated print up on 4chan before it was made into fabric.

>> No.6629333

>>6629266
All's I'm saying is that you're not as good as you think you are.

>> No.6629349

>>6628985
this could have potential but if you wanted positive feedback on a heavily edited version of your design meant specifically to obscure a lot of the details, I.... don't think so. If you put out something thats not your best in quality, even for a good reason, people are still going to judge you based on the quality that you posted even if you say you have a "better quality" version.

>> No.6629359

>>6629333
please show me where I claimed to be ~*da best artist evarrr u guis*~. I just said I'm graduating with an Illustration degree.

I'd also like to know how you consider yourself capable of assessing anyone's artistic ability from a monochromatic digital image that's had the line quality shot from going through Adobe program functions. It's an embellished black oval, not a portrait painting or a landscape.

>>6629349
I didn't post it with the intention of asking for feedback or critique. The idea was more like...'OP, I am working on a birdcage-print-fabric, the concept is something like this, if you would like to see the finished version, e-mail me.'

>> No.6629398

>>6629359
Actually, we can judge you on what you post. "Artists" like you are dime a dozen in our community and quite frankly really annoying. Just look at your reactions, extremely defensive, that shows that you believe that you're a good artist.
Please take your mediocre "print" somewhere else and don't even bother with finishing it because it is going to be a waste of time.

And yes what you posted is enough to get a glimpse of your talent.

>> No.6629424

>>6628985
Where have I seen this before...
http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/260289

>> No.6629429

>>6629424
What's the big deal about not posting the real version when the print is already out?

>> No.6629434

So what do you guys think of these guys?
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/dreamcircus
I am seriously thinking of making a jsk out of there kitten ribbon fabric.

>> No.6629436

>>6629429
I remember the already out print from years ago. I think this girl is copying an already shitty design.

>> No.6629438

>>6629398
If I based my actions on what anons on the internet had to say about my ability or perceived lack thereof, I wouldn't make it very far as a working professional.
If you consider those relatively neutral reactions to be 'extremely defensive', then you haven't been on 4chan long enough.
If you actually have constructive critique to offer on the embellished oval, then please go ahead.

>>6629429
Because...that's not the print that I'm making?
The finished product is in color, has a more elaborate border beneath the cages, the birds are living birds instead of skeletons and the cages have roses around them and no 'cameo' frame. :/

>> No.6629439

>>6629424
Yay! Art theft!

>> No.6629442

>>6629438
If you don't want to be called out for theft, then don't show WIPs. Show finished products.

>> No.6629445

>>6629434
I personally don't like it. Then again, I'm not super estatic over Sweet. If you make a jsk out of kitten ribbons, then I suggest a white ruffle border along the base. ..Maybe.

>> No.6629447

>>6629442
but they don't even look alike. The cage and link design are totally different, even the stripes are different widths. The only thing that's similar is that it's a black-and-white and has bird cages.

>> No.6629449

OP here. Just sent you an email, artist.

>> No.6629473
File: 594 KB, 847x768, Kitten Ribbons.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6629445
I was thinking about using one of these kinds of lace for the bottom, and just a simple jsk.
and lol, sorry me+touch pad=bad squiggles

>> No.6629547

>>6629447
Hmm yes, they are different.

Your problem is that your print is totally unoriginal. If you can find something so similar to it on the internet, it is probably because you didn't work enough on the concept of your project before starting to make it.

Since it isn't one amazingly original piece, you shoulnd't be so worried about others stealing it. No one here would steal a low res image and spend money printing it. Want to protect yourself? Watermark your work and upload only low res images.

Also, we will judge you by what you show us. Why would anyone want to contact you if you show such a bad looking image like that? If you are graduating, you must have an online portfolio already, filled with samples of your works and the concepts behind them. If you are not willing to show your works, you will never get a job. Good artists like Loish don't go around showing bad looking copies of their works, even if in Loish case she had her work stolen countless times for t-shirts and book covers.

Your paranoia is unreasonable. No one is watching your every step planning to steal your work.

Also, OP, I would recommend you chosing a graphic/fashion designer for print design. Usually those have some projectual thinking to produce something that will satisfy the project needs.

>> No.6630309

I'm already a seamstress with professional sewing, design, and pattern making experience. I've been very small scale/one woman show, but I'm looking to slowly expand. I don't want to focus heavily on prints, but I already have a portfolio of non-printed items, and I do have some print ideas that I've always wanted to play with. Ideally, I would like to hire an artist/print designer that I can collaborate with for many years to come, with ~2 unique print runs per year.

So my questions, CGL:
What should I expect, in terms of compensation and negotiating legal rights for prints?
I'm already contacting some fabric printers in NY and LA, but I'm still waiting on swatches/samples. Does anyone know of other US options that aren't spoonflower? Is Fabric on Demand decent, or just spoonflower tier? Any tips on negotiating with Chinese printers that won't steal the print?

>> No.6630376

>>6629100
Good luck getting a job if you dont want to put your shit online. Really. Most of the jobs I get are front the internet. People are gonna take stuff no matter what. That shitty looking image you just posted? I can easily use that as a jumping point.

>> No.6630801

>>6629547
I do have an online portfolio, but I'm under no obligation to link all of 4chan to my website. Obviously it's not full of W.I.P.s or else I wouldn't be getting the freelance work I am now. I don't show unfinished work to potential employers, but an image board full of anons, even in a thread like this, isn't exactly a professional environment and the same rules don't apply. I think my 'paranoia' is justifiable, considering that I've had illustration work used without my permission in the past.
I don't care how you ~judge~ me, dear anon, the only person's opinion in this thread that matters to me is OP's.
Thanks for the motivation, I guess? With every post you make, I just get more determined to finish this print.
and it will be glorious.
and I will drink up your bitter tears for nourishment. <3

>>6630376
see above.
also you're kind of missing the point.
if you use that image as a jumping point, what do you have? an fairly non-descript, pixellated, embellished oval. with stripes in the background. sure, you could cut everything out and use it as a base, but it would probably be simpler and faster to just draw a birdcage yourself. :/
Even if you did try to make the same print, whatever you finish is going to look very different from what I'm working on right now. It is highly unlikely that we draw birds or flowers or lace in the same way.
Concept 'theft' =/= art theft.
sage for OT.

Can we get back to talking about fabric now? This thread devolved into a shitfest way too fast.

>> No.6630852

>>6628146
>http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/dreamcircus
DAT NARWHAL

>> No.6630855

>>6628575
That's because all their designs look amateur/too simplistic and Design Student 101. There isn't that depth of detail and since fabric options are so limited they can't work with the texture of the fabric and incorporate that like brands do (did anyone else like Little Bears Cafe 10x more when they saw the fabric texture?). For example, I've wanted a Viking print for a very long time and am willing to pay out good money for one. However, while I like Ergi's okay, it's too stripey and blocky and simplistic. All the quirky octoDrWhoskeleton prints are too contrasted, the lines are too clean, the shapes are too big, and STRIPES. ALWAYS POORLY DONE STRIPES.

>> No.6630889

>>6630801
It is cute how you think I am the same anon that talked to you before. I am >>6629547 and that was the only reply I left to you.

I'm glad you got a freelancer. Mind you, even shitty designers and artists get freelancer works all the time. Grow up a little, drop your paranoia and maybe you will be a good artist one day. Your print is unnoriginal and childish, I've seen similar ones all the time. Does it hurt you? Well then, you should leave this business, or else you will spend most of your day defendind your work.

You art is shit. Grow up and try to get better.

>> No.6630901

>>6630889
you just sound like a halfassed troll now.

>> No.6630918

>>6627545
Hey OP, if you're still around, drop me an e-mail, and I'll happily send you a portfolio for you to review. ^^
And my best friend is fluent in Chinese. I can give her a call if she'd like to help out if you want.

>> No.6630933
File: 107 KB, 639x791, 1319785252652.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6630889
>implying any artist should take the opinion of an unaccredited anon on 4chan seriously enough to 'leave the business'.

you're cute, too.

>> No.6630939

>>6630933

You're kidding, right? Unless they can handle constructive criticism well, artists get butthurt and leave the internet all the time.

>> No.6630942

>>6630939
those people usually aren't very serious about their art or don't plan on making it a career.

>> No.6630951

>>6630933
She was shown a print that is exatcly what she did, yet she says it is not similar. Pretty defensive if you ask me.

>>6630942

for all we know, the girl who was all defensive about her design being awesome is not serious.

I hope OP doesn't pick unprofessional kids for this. Those usually ruin good startups.

>> No.6630991

>>6630951
Lolita prints aren't usually known for being the epitome of originality. AP, IW and BTSSB all release prints with teddy bears on them. Does this mean the designers are all shitty, unoriginal artists? No, they just chose the same subject because it appeals to their customer base.
Did you even read this thread? please show me the part where artist-anon claims 'my design is awesome! I bet nobody's ever thought of this idea before! come at me bro!' after posting her work-in-progress.

>> No.6631011

i've actually been taking small steps towards starting a seamstress shop, ordering sample cards and things. while the fabric i'm going to go with is american-made, most of the cute laces/other notions i'm finding are from taobao, and a lot of the american-made items are ugly/cheap-looking. would you ladies be okay with puchasing items where some of the details are, for the time being, chinese-made? i'm only cosidering it because the majority of the money will be spent on the fabric, and i would full disclose country of origin for the pieces.

>> No.6631013
File: 52 KB, 385x578, mozarbicchant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

INDIE BRANDS THREAD
take it to /ic/, laydeez.

so I'm madly in love with Krad Lanrete's Mozarbic Chant print. Thank god someone did this. I really want to see more independent brands release prints with strange colors, something other than 'cream, pink, navy, black'...make something in teal. or a rusty orange. SOMETHING.
just don't go all Dolldelight on us when you're picking patterns.

>> No.6631054

>>6631011
I don't think many lolitas take it into account, since we have taobao threads and brands probably hire chinese workers, that is even worse than chinese products.

If you are going to be honest with the origin of each material, I think it is ok. Hope you can success in your seamstress shop.

>> No.6631377

>>6631011
As a professional seamstress, I've found that no one really cares about where the lace is from, as long as it's of high quality and looks good. The majority of my lace is from China or Japan, although sometimes from American (NY)/European (France & Italy) suppliers.
People care more about who does the work, and that the materials are good quality, than they do about where every single notion/trim is from.

Basically: Quality everything. You can get shoddy materials from China, or you can get awesome ones. Same for materials from America.

>> No.6632040

>>6630889
>>6630933
OT but I can't possibly be the only person who finds it terribly aggravating when people use "cute" in this stupid passive-aggressive context. It reminds me of the stupid Happy Bunny merchandise from like 2002. Hell, it bothered me back then too.

>> No.6632249

OP, do you have an e-mail you can be reached at?

>> No.6632289

>>6632040
Sowwy Snookums, we'll be super duper sure not to make that boo boo again, so don't worry your cute little heady weady over it awright?

>> No.6634638

>>6632289
I bet you think you're the most clever person on the planet. Why do people do this, too? Just do something to piss someone off for no reason? It doesn't make any sense at all; they're just obnoxious assholes.

>> No.6635072
File: 247 KB, 1116x744, printo 1 copy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the borders of the portraits were coming out so well...don't know what happened after that.

>> No.6635892

>>6635072
landwhales and seagulls... CGL in a nutshell

>> No.6636022

>>6635892
Did you feel clever be because you understood the obvious?
Did you feel superior when you decided to point it out?