[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 107 KB, 1600x298, acksonl_preview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6598742 No.6598742 [Reply] [Original]

Simple question.

When it comes to cosplay videos, what do you want to see more of? Do you prefer the preplaned videos where they get the best cosplayers around (Acksonl and other Steady cam shooters) or do you want more general con vids where everyone is included (Deadpool and Beatdown Boogie)

>> No.6598752

I usually like the general con video's better, but that's because before going to my first con I'd look up videos and the convention videos I saw were cosplay videos. Nothing wrong with that but I couldn't find a video that showed the atmosphere of going to an event or make me want to go to one because the video made it look so fun.

Are you planning on doing video's?

>> No.6598761

>>6598752
Not really, just noticing how there's a huge split in videos.

Also I find it ironic that the lesser of the two groups quality wise (in terms of video footage and cosplayers) is WAAAY more popular than the first

>> No.6598788

>>6598761
It turns into a where's waldo with you being waldo. If you ever read the earlier comments on these video's on youtube or facebook, it's just people pointing themselves out.

It comes down to target audience, Cosplay videos are aimed more towards those invovled and other cosplayers.

Convention videos have a much broader audience because it's letting the viewer experience what they have missed. Viewers who may not even cosplay or go to conventions.

Here's a social experiment, show both types of video to a friend or co worker who doesn't cosplay or go to conventions and see which one they liked best.

>> No.6598839

>>6598788
I think the beauty of the planned videos is that you can now see the cosplayers as characters by watching them move and interact with others. The really good ones know how to move like their character which lead to some good scenes.

For SR3 fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBvsujUU&feature=youtu.be&t=1m7s

>> No.6598850

>>6598839
Never thought of it that way, but it's something I'm starting to notice with cosplayers is that they really get into character.

Also filming planned stuff is always fun.

>> No.6598857

>>6598850
True but sadly the best looking cosplayers are not the best at being in character. Most of them only know the skill of "sit and look pretty"

>> No.6598862

I want to see more of me and my dubs.

>> No.6598888

>>6598857
It's all fun in the end

>> No.6598911

>>6598888
True, but it just makes me wish the good IC people stared in these more.

>> No.6598932

I prefer general con videos, bits of the location (I'm just amazed by the big cons' location and how much the attendees fill up the space), panels, shows and, above all, cosplayers. I love seeing a huge variety of cosplayers in videos, and not just the repeated few. I don't like cosplay videos where people are lip-syncing to the music, it's rather boring unless all the different cosplayers are part of it, too.

>> No.6598984

con videos are better because you can actually have variety and worthwhile coverage
cosplay videos are very, very limited in scope and scale. let's do "the circle a cosplayer with my steadicam rig!" "them walking!" "lipsyncing and/or dancing whatever is popular at the moment!" "blast dubstep as the background track!" you just can't make a good video with just cosplayers.

>> No.6598995

I don't want to see cosplay videos.

>> No.6599028

>>6598742

Definitely the latter. Most of the pre plan videos aren't very planned out well. Seeing most of those people awkwardly just pose, stare, and sometimes dance at the camera with not the most inspired song choices isn't very pleasing.

>> No.6599052

>>6598911
Sometimes it's kinda hard to get the really good ones because they are busy (with better photographers/videographers) and it can sometimes be intimidating to approach them.

>>6598932
>>6598984
>>6599028
not op but...
This is good to know!
Variety is always a good thing but one person can't be everywhere at once. A lot of the times, the planned stuff is just something that was on the spot, and most of the time it's just for shits and giggles with everyone having fun with it.

>> No.6599055

Big problem is that most video shooters mostly do A and while they do pick the best it kinda makes everything look the same to the point where you'd think there were only 12 cosplayers at a con

>> No.6599065

>>6599055

Agreed to an extent. Sometimes they focus on some real mediocre looking cosplayers, and you're left sitting there wondering, "Wait, why her/him? I saw like... tons of way better *insert character here* at *insert convention here*".. so basically sometimes they even fail at choosing the best.

>> No.6599071

Special announcement coming up soon on my channel to be more "inclusive"

>> No.6599075

>>6599071
screen shoting lol

>> No.6599093

>>6599071
You shouldn't worry about trying to incorporate anyone you don't want. It's your camera, your video and your time so shoot who you want to shoot

>> No.6599226

I like the steady cam videos like Acksonl and MLZ because you get to see the details in these cosplays. Yeah, slowmo is really annoying sometimes, but if it were in regular speed, you'd miss all the minor stuff.

I can't think of any examples for the other.

>> No.6600993

I kinda want more character focused videos like Deadpool Vs... Mainly because it's cool to see a video based off of the cosplayers interactions as opposed to just their looks

>> No.6601271

I like watching videos that have variety. If it's just one sweeping pan shot of a posing cosplayer after another, it gets boring fast. Having a good variety of cosplayers, types of shots, poses, etc. is much more interesting to watch. Sometimes it's fun to just see cosplayers goofing off, dancing, being silly, maybe even some candid scenes, mixed in with the more planned-out posing. And obviously good cosplays look better on camera, but having dynamic shots could make up for a mediocre costume in some cases.

And don't use slow motion in EVERY single shot. Ugh.