[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 278 KB, 700x942, lupin iii live-action remake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6567597 No.6567597 [Reply] [Original]

So this isn't entirely cosplay-related, I figure that /cgl/ is probably the most appropriate board for it (and you guys have the most convention experience).

Anyway, I recently applied to host a panel at an upcoming anime convention. I know the material I'm presenting really well, but I've never run a panel before, so I'm a bit nervous. It's a pretty big con, too, so there's potential for a fairly large audience. Do any of you have any panel-hosting experience? Would you be willing to share advice on how to minimize awkwardness and run a really good panel?

>> No.6567604

Imagine the whole audience naked...I dunno if that actually works for anyone but hey it might.

For actual advice, make sure to go practice what you're going to cover and say and be sure to leave room at the end of your panel time for questions if it is a panel that really can garner questions. I would practice with someone else who is honest so they can give you feedback on how to better present.

>> No.6567610

Write out what you want to talk about (or have a Powerpoint of some sort). Practice it. Make sure it fills the time slot you have and/or allows for discussion, Q&A, etc.

Be prepared for hecklers and know-it-alls. Sometimes people can be ignorant.

Have a way to cut off people who want to talk forever or preface their question with "Well, I have 5 questions for you" and want to monopolize your panel. Most of the time, these people just like hearing themselves talk and have nothing to contribute.

>> No.6567638

Having done my share of hosting panels, a few things to remember:

1) Don't try to do everything yourself unless this panel revolves around you doing everything yourself. I advise having someone to keep time for you so you can focus on the subject matter.

2) Know your subject material. You don't have to be the Harvard-level expert on what you're covering, but you should be able to cover your panel's topic from all angles.

3) Relax! No one wants to see a stiff up on stage, and no one wants to hear that "it's you first time running a panel". Just have fun with it. You're doing a panel with something you're engaged in, so have some fun! The good part about this is that if you're having fun with it, the people that are there will have fun with it as well (fun and good vibes are contagious!), and you'll be on your way to a successful panel.

4) Be open to criticism after the panel. No one runs the perfect panel. I've been doing it for five and a half years, and I still find myself making dumb errors. But that's how we become better.

5) Again, have fun. Seriously. You're (hopefully) running a panel related to something you're passionate about. Relax and enjoy it.

Break a leg, my friend. Let us know how it goes!

>> No.6567721

>>6567638

I know the material extremely well (I've been passionate about studying Japanese folklore for years, so I know my yokai quite well), and a lot of it is quite silly and fun to talk about (like the Shiri-me, a humanoid yokai with no face and an eye for an anus who likes to shock victims by chasing after them on all fours, butt-first), but the idea of a timekeeper is a great idea. And I think it's just a matter of doing a lot of practice runs in the weeks leading up to the con. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes! Hell, if it gets the okay and people are at Anime Boston this year, feel free to stop by and check it out.

>> No.6567741

>>6567721
Excellent! Well, it's obvious you don't have to worry about knowing your subject matter; now, just work on delivering it.

Also, one other thing that can happen, while you may have your timing set for how much time you're going to spend on a particular part of your panel, remember, things change. Be prepared to roll with any time changes that may come.

>> No.6567757

Have a sense of humor. People will get bored at most any panel if you can't crack a joke from time to time. Try to "perform" and be interesting amidst groups of friends and the like in the meantime. My greatest practice for running panels is that I'm a teacher fulltime so I do this sort of monkey act for a living. For your first panel I'd suggest having someone trustworthy that you know well running it with you just so you're less nervous. Make a simple outline of what you plan to cover, in order, with estimated time length. Also, don't let the crowd run the show by interrupting you the entire time (if it's not a Q&A portion).

If you're doing a fan panel... ugh, good luck. Well, 95% of fan panels these days are godawful because they are for horrible fanbases... but anyway.

>> No.6568758
File: 24 KB, 484x461, daffy duck doing a tubgirl impression.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6567757

>fan panels

Dear god no. You'd have to pay me a significant sum to even attend one of those things, let alone host one. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to handle the presentation in a humorous manner, given that a lot of the material is pretty silly (yokai can be fucking weird). I'd still appreciate any further advice if daytime /cgl/ has anything to offer.