[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 301 KB, 1600x919, fabric stash .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6544254 No.6544254 [Reply] [Original]

All right /cgl/, I have for you a challenge. I'm sure most if not all of us have a fabric stash full of leftovers, fabric bought for cosplays or coords that fell through, impulse buys, and inherited leftovers. The stash sits in your garage or in your closet, taking up space and staring at you resentfully because you're just not using it.

YOUR CHALLENGE is to take that stash and MAKE SOMETHING with it. It can be a whole cosplay, a skirt, a pillow, a plush, anything you damn well please. You just have to use your existing fabric stash to do it. And of course, you've gotta post pictures when you're done.

EASY MODO: Use some leftover fabric, but also use new fabric bought for the purpose
NORMAL MODE: Use mostly leftover fabric, with just a little bit of new stuff
HARD MODE: Use only leftover fabric, but you can buy new notions, thread, etc.
NIGHTMARE MODE: Use all leftover fabric, notions, and thread. Absolutely no new materials involved

You have two weeks. I'll be monitoring this thread, and when it dies I'll start another. Get those juices flowing and USE THAT STASH!

>> No.6544266

Oh man I'm going to have fun with this. I don't know what I'm making but I'm going to do this.

You're on. The only thing making me cringe is the variety of fabric I have because its mostly mom's old crap she uses for LARP costumes.

>> No.6544273

>inherited leftovers
Speaking of that I have a box of Italian silk scarves (you know, those square ones with all the different patterns on them) but don't know what to do with them.

>> No.6544276

>>6544254
Oh shit I love this idea, I'm in.

>> No.6544275

This would be fun if my fabric wasn't boring.
It's just 2 yards each of solid red and black cotton, some gold and red satin, and soon, pick cotton.
..I could probably make a gay-as-hell Shadow plush, but nah, I'll pass.

>> No.6544281

Interesting. I will be monitoring.

>> No.6544296

>>6544275
>pick
**pink

>> No.6544453

I'm definitely doing this since I need to put my money where my mouth is, but I need to go through my fabric stash and see what all I have first. Maybe an original fantasy costume.

>>6544266
>>6544276
Awwww yeah! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

>>6544273
Ooooh, that sounds lovely, actually. Maybe you could make a handkerchief skirt?

>>6544275
I'm sure you could come up with something! Maybe something playing card-inspired with the red and black? Or Iron Man inspired with the red and gold?

>> No.6544470

Damn, if this was next month, I'd be in there. I need to cull my fabric before I move. Maybe if this one goes well, it could be a regular thing.

>> No.6544473

I really want to see what people come up with.

>> No.6544480

I tend to use as much as leftover fabric I possibly can in my cosplay. And since I have the habit of stashing fabrics when I find something for cheap, well... Just made a (rather ugly and kinda creepy) plushie from those.

>> No.6544484

ohh i have so much fabric left over that i need to get rid of
ill start on something tomorrow~!

>> No.6544491

I've already done this with one costume, it was amazing. I got rid of so much shit and made a great costume at almost no cost!

Advice: Pick something with a ton of different small colours and pieces so you can use all those 1/4 yard pieces for applique or random bits. I did Medicine Seller from Mononoke.

>> No.6544497

Oh my god now I'm excited. I've always wanted to make a disgusting patchwork kimono out of the worst fabrics known to cosplay as a joke, now I have a real excuse to do it!

>> No.6544553

I need to do this, but nearly everything neat I can think of is missing just ONE COLOR or the colors are different types of fabric.

>> No.6544556

>impulse buys
Darn those shelves of fabric ends!

I imagine with the huge amount of leftover fleece, and felt I have for nightmare mode, I'd be making all sorts of weird kirugumis and some bizarre bedding set.

>bags of tiny bits of fabrics for stuffing rather than the regular poly-fil stuffing
A plushie is very plausible for me, myes. I think I'm up for hard mode.

I will consider this challenge because I have school projects to do. Good luck to everyone else!

>> No.6544581

>>6544491

I see a lot of Amano costumes made out of leftover fabric. It's pretty awesome because you see a lot of varied fabrics in one costume and sometimes it can be very pretty.

Another good character for a lot of differently colored fabrics a la wearable quilt is Gogo from FFVI.

>> No.6545194
File: 217 KB, 580x720, 1310881362219.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I pick most of my cosplays alread based on what I have a lot left over.

>>6544581
>mfw I've been building a small stock pile of the tiniest scraps of fabric for this very reason.

I've got like 2-3 Amano costumes I'm gonna make purely cause I was like "meh I should use these scraps" Not looking forward to sewing all those little patches...

>> No.6545424
File: 47 KB, 530x700, 30awaq0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This post has really inspired me. And I'm almost done! I made a tail and cat ears for my Madotsuki cat effect cosplay using old faux fur that I dyed with a sharpie I found in my desk and some alcohol I found in my bathroom. I used a chain I found in my garage to put inside the tail to make it swooshy-swingy.

Pictures tomorrow once I attach the ears to the wig!

>> No.6550104

Saving this thread.
I'm working on a skirt with left over fabric and ribbon!

>> No.6550314

Challenge accepted? I'll see what I can make in the next two weeks.

>> No.6551599
File: 32 KB, 294x448, IMG_2534_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think I have some stretchy fabric here.

We should all make panties. They don't need much fabric!

>> No.6551642

I'm in. I need something to attach all this tatted lace I've made to anyway...

>> No.6551644

>>6551599
Plan to make sexy cotton undies anyway.
Because they can't make sexy panties in breathable fabrics for the masses, apparently and I'm sick of looking like i stole children's underwear just because I don't want to wear nylongpolyesterpvcblendshit. Ain't nothing sexy about suffocated vaginas.

>> No.6551654

Where the fuck is Hanyaan and her storage shed full of spandex?

>> No.6551668

Alright, I'll accept. I have so much scraps that I could turn into a quilt. Thank you, OP, this is a great idea.

>> No.6551673
File: 99 KB, 500x297, spandex.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6551654
She's to busy crying in her spandex.

>> No.6552039

>>6551673
I'm too busy trying to knit socks for an upcoming costume. The storage shed of spandex (which is actually ALL my fabric and old costumes, not just spandex) will be coming into play for Fanime. That being said, if I finish my socks and vest before Katsu, I'll do this with metallic spandex and three days and be Narancia Ghirga buying only notions, loafers, and a wig.

>> No.6553281
File: 558 KB, 810x900, 1269499782965.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Awwwww yeah I was hoping people would take me up on it! 10 days left- still plenty of time by cosplayer standards.

If this goes well, I'll start another one after Katsu so we can all use up some shit in time for Fanime. Pic not related, but always relevant.

>> No.6553476

Man if I wasn;t moving, I could make some great doggie diapers for my grammas shitzu. I suppose Ill do it any way just not in the time frame. Thanks for the inspiration to think of something to do with all this crap!

>> No.6556106

Bump for a good idea!

>> No.6560896

All right, you've got one week left, seagulls. Anybody got progress or ideas for what to make? Post away!

>> No.6562033

I was thinking of making some subtle fandom inspired pillow cases for a younger cousin of mine, considering I have some iron-on paper left as well as some plain cloth. She likes homestuck, Madoka, and Zelda, but I'm still stumped on the design since I'm not into any of them and have no idea what a fan would like.

>> No.6562047

>>6562033
For Zelda, use any symbol stuff (i.e. triforce).

For Homestuck, I dunno much about it either but from what I remember they wear shirts with some icon on it so you can put that.

Madoka you can put kyuubey or something.

>> No.6562069

>>6562047

I'll go with Kyuubey cases then, thank you!

>> No.6562093

Dammit OP, I'm going to use my leftover fabric to make a new cosplay, but I need to finish losing weight first.

Oh well, maybe these threads can become monthly things...

>> No.6562101

>>6562033
>She likes homestuck

You should make a rope-like thing to strangle her. And maybe add a few triforce symbols on it while you're at it.

>> No.6562106

>>6562101

Dude, just because someone likes something doesn't mean they should die. Chill the fuck out.