[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 271 KB, 600x1114, 600full-the-legend-of-zelda--skyward-sword-artwork.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6494899 No.6494899 [Reply] [Original]

hey /cgl/

For someone with literally 0 sewing experience how challenging would it be to replicated SS Zelda's dress? I'm confident I could create her accessories with relative ease but I have NO idea how to go about making her dress. Do I use a pattern? Do I try [and probably fail] and find a dress similar?

?SA??/////// help

>> No.6494910

You should learn the basics of how to sew before you attempt to make a dress of any sort. And yes you should use a pattern. Creating your own takes some expertise.

One alternative is to commission a seamstress to make the dress for you and practice how to sew in the mean time.

>> No.6494918

If you have no experience sewing and attempt to make that dress, it will look like shit. Not only that but it requires resin casting, fabric paint, etc.

Have some make it for you or find a simpler costume.

>> No.6494944

>>6494910

Ohh right a seamstress... Thanks for the tip!

>>6494918

I'm fine with creating molds and pouring resin and painting things. I'm new to sewing not new to creating things.

>> No.6494971

It's honestly not a hard costume. I made the dress myself about two months ago. The hardest part for you is going to be on her pieces that require either hand painting/embroidery/etc. Look at costume patterns out there and modify one, I know there's a couple out there with similar sillouhettes and what not.

>> No.6498452

please learn to sew.

>> No.6498454

Learn to sew. Get in shape, I know you're not. Oh, and USE A WIG I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

>> No.6498498
File: 1.19 MB, 700x1651, IMG_7425.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll give you some tips. I used one of vogue's very easy sewing patterns, it was a simple pattern that I found by googling keywords (how I always start a cosplay), in this instance "scoop neck sleeves dress"

Then I bought fabric with the most similar color from fabric.com after a LOT of searching and swatch purchasing to get the right shade. I ended up getting a lightweight stretch fabric, so I had to learn how to sew stretch fabrics for this (you don't have to if you find non-stretch fabric or dye it like akuriko did).

The way I did the gold pieces was:
>Buy a shit ton of yellow bias tape
>Iron it flat
>Cut out swirl pattern for the breast area and rectangles for hem and sleeves
>Heat'n'bond those in place
>Sew bias tape around the hem and neck (took a lot of finagling for the neck)

It ended up taking a lot of help from my seamstress mother, so if you haven't done anything like that before and don't have someone that has to help you maaay be in over your head.

Tips: DON'T paint the yellow trim patterns, every Zelda cosplayer that paints it ends up having it not look that great. And pay attention to the silhouette, my dress ended up being too A-line so I made a simple petticoat to poof out the skirt. Also make sure you're going to be able to wear the belts without it snagging the dress or them being too heavy and wanting to fall (a problem I ran into).

Pic related, the in progress of my Zelda

>> No.6498530

>>6498454
>Get in shape, I know you're not.

God, I love /cgl/.

>> No.6499114

>>6498498
wow that looks amazing.
do you have a closeup of the bottom hem area?

>> No.6500554

>>6498498
ahahaha, i know you. i also used a picture of you as an example to a young friend trying to recreate this very dress.... you executed it so excellently too. Didn't know you were on cgl though.