[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 137 KB, 1024x1005, 63712_laundry_lg.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6462514 No.6462514 [Reply] [Original]

Share your advice on how you can wash lolita clothes

>> No.6462515

Does anyone own Sugar Hearts OP or JSK or a skirt maybe? Does it run if you try to hand wash it?

>> No.6462537

Step 1) Take your clothes to the drycleaners.
Step 2) Pay for drycleaning.
Step 3) There is no Step 3.

>> No.6462551

>>6462537
you have to pick /up/ the clothes from the dry cleaners

-cricket noise-
yeah i know.

but really, lolita clothing is just regular higher end clothing. delicate wash in cold water for your blouses, bloomers, some skirts. dry clean only for JSKs and OPs.
hand washing is also an option for almost everything. but i still say dry clean only for JSKs and OPs.

oh and hang dry everything. do not put anything in a drier unless it's 100% cotton.

>> No.6462599

>>6462551
Nothing should go in the drier because it's very damaging (it's fine for towels etc but shouldn't be used on anything you want to hold up for longer). Knits and cardigans are best to dry flat or they might stretch.

>> No.6462673
File: 2 KB, 71x54, 72d5526935.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I actually had a question. I wear lolita very infrequently, so I've never washed my skirts (given that they've all been worn maybe twice). I noticed that on almost all of my clothes, in the dry cleaning-section, it says that "garment can be cleaned using petroleum based agent". I don't frequently go to the cleaners and didn't know there were different methods you could ask for. Do you all usually specify this, or do you just take your clothes in and get them cleaned (without specifying any special methods)?

>> No.6462759

I handwash everything (plain pieces, prints, etc) in cold water, haven't had any problems so far. I've heard way too many horror stories about dry cleaners running dresses.

>> No.6462835

>>6462673
I second this question. Do I have to specify what cleaning agent should be used?

>> No.6462858

I have a problem with one of my BTSSB JSKs. It's a plain pink JSK with some white lace from around 2005-2006 and the person who owned it before me must have washed it or got bleach on it or something because there are discolored parts that are lighter than the rest of the dress. You can only see them in certain lighting but they have been bothering me. Any ideas on what to do about them? I was thinking about using color remover and just making it completely offwhite but I'm worried about messing something up even worse.

>> No.6462867

>>6462858
Do a Momoko and embroider over that shit.

>> No.6462890

>>6462759
Best handwash method? I find that my skirts last for ages after a dry clean, but my blouses need more regular cleaning.

>> No.6467337

>>6462890
I just leave them in a delicate detergent for a couple of hours, then rinse.

>> No.6467347

>>6462551
Wow. For what it's worth I put most of my lolita clothing in the washing machine as long as it's cotton or polycotton blend and I've established that it doesn't run, it makes no sense to take plain cotton items to the drycleaner since they can clearly be washed in a machine. For items that are more delicate I use a wash bag and delicate cycle. The only things I don't put in are ones that are clearly not suited to machine washing - e.g. wool, velvet or chiffon, which get spot washed by hand or hand washed. But I agree with the no-dryer thing.

>> No.6467353

>>6462537
A lot of things can't be dry-cleaned actually. Anything with glitter or flocky, anything with an ink print like PC.

Everything: Hand wash, cold water, gentle detergent. Hang or lay flat to try

>> No.6467384

I find that handwashing causes the fabric to start piling...am I doing something wrong? :(

>> No.6467425

>>6467384
Do you rub the fabric? If you do, don't (unless you have persistent stains).

>> No.6467426

>>6467347
Me too. My stuff is nearly all AP, as well. For socks, I make sure they're inside-out in a garment bag, same for blouses. Only thing I hand-wash are cutsews because AP pills if you so much as look at it. I make sure I don't buy anything that will need drycleaning beyond coats because the drycleaners nearby are utter shite.

>> No.6467473

>>6462673
dry cleaning IS the process of things being cleaned in petroleum products. Even the "green cleaners" use them, they just are green because they dispose of their by-products in a more earth-friendly way.

If you do go to the dry cleaners, ask if they clean in batches or individual garments. It'll be more expensive, but ask for individual if they do. This way one item is cleaned at a time so you risk no damage from other clothing, or like a blouse button getting caught on the lace of one of your dresses.

>> No.6467480

I wash all of my clothes in either the washing machine or hand wash them depending on the print. I can tell you dreaming macaron in black and mint and Vanilla-chan in lavender are perfectly fine in the washing machine. Just hang them to dry later. I hand wash things that have a lot of red in the print because it tends to run.

It bothers me so much that girls are too scared to clean their clothes and then want to sell them later. I was so disgusted when I got a dress that was claimed had been dry cleaned but it had stains and a horrible odor on it.

>> No.6467485

I never use the dry cleaners ever! >.< To many horror stories.
I usually just fill up the sink with or bathtub with water (sometimes warm or a little colder) and I dip the dresses in a few times. I never rub the clothes together but a gentle stir usually does the trick. (few times with soapy water and a few times with regular water) ((I put just a LITTLE bit of soap and it smells just fine : ) )) Then I go outside and hang up the dresses for air drying and there you go : ).

>> No.6468117

Is there any particular reason why I might want to wash my clothes in anything other than cold water? I know that, at the very least, hot water kills bacteria, but I'm not rubbing raw chicken all over my clothes.

>> No.6468498

>>6468117
Warmer water tends to remove heavy soil better than the cold water does. Actually it's "the hotter the cleaner" in many cases.

>> No.6469438

How should I wash velvet? Is hand washing in a tub okay?

>> No.6469522

Has anyone tried washing Juliette et Justine's painting dresses in the washing machine?

>> No.6469606

>>6469438
Yes, but you can't be vigorous with it at all especially if the pile is longish, so no wringing it out or anything since the pile can dry really weirdly and look fucked up. You can swish it gently/rinse then drip dry flat and use a cloth (like a facecloth) to keep the pile going in the correct direction. If it's more of a velveteen you don't need to worry as much about the nap as it'll go back into place better.

>> No.6469628

How do you wash glitter prints (Aqua princess, twinkle carnival)? I'm scared I'll ruin them!

>> No.6469645

>>6467425
yes, so i should stop doing that...?
i was taught to do it from young because it makes your clothes clean or something.
looks like i gotta stop.

>> No.6469667

I currently only own plain stuff. I have a JSK with lots of delicate lace on it that I've worn about 3 times and dry cleaned with no issues thankfully.

Most of my wardrobe is BL and Taobao so I just have it in a delicates bag and wash it in the washing machine on the gentlest setting in cold water and minimal liquid soap.

I do have a skirt with a glitter based print (Meta's Jewel Butterfly) so I'll assume I need to let that soak in cold water in my bathtub and then gently squeegee and dry in the shade for best result? If I can I'll put it off for a few more wears so the glitter isn't destroyed as it's so lovely.