[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 17 KB, 375x500, Lip serivice dolly dress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6455834 No.6455834 [Reply] [Original]

Hey cgl,

I wanted to start actively getting into lolita and I needed a good base to start. I've already read the guidelines so one of the first things I'll do is stock up on some blouses and stockings/socks.

However, I have this dress that I wanted to ask about. Now this thing I'm pretty sure by itself is an ita disaster waiting to happen. I bought it when I was still in highschool (like 6-8 years ago),obsessed with Hot Topic, and wanted to be lolita but didn't have the money -or the patience (or the body really).

Can any of this dress be salvaged? I think as a whole I can't use it, it's too short - even on me (5'1)- and doesn't have the proper silhouette even with a petticoat. I was thinking maybe saying the upper portion and using it as a short blouse. Thoughts?

>> No.6455837

>>6455834
The picture isn't great, so I could be wrong, but it might make a cute blouse to wear under a JSK if you just took the skirt portion off. What fabric is it made of?

>> No.6455838

I think it would be a fine blouse after altering it.

>> No.6455843
File: 131 KB, 960x805, ultimatelolitafashionshowugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

personally I dislike the baby-tee sleeves, but sometimes people can make it work. You're right that it would look so much better underneath something than by itself.
Also is the collar not the same on both sides?

If you're handy with sewing, I would suggest removing all that bottom fabric (since it's going to be a blouse anyway), and remaking the sleeves. Depending on your build/style of loli you like, you could even make super poofy sleeves or half sleeves. Right now they just look short to me. It would make whatever dress you wore over it look cheap.
pic related see the girl on the left?

>> No.6455846
File: 121 KB, 960x947, somuchugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another pic related, see the girl on the far right? not many people have the kind of arms that baby tees look good on, and then in lolita unless you have stick arms it just makes the arms look chubby.

>> No.6455852
File: 294 KB, 467x700, loliawesome2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

and here's an example of when the sleeves can work that short, but it's also very poofy and the model has thin arms. It's a sweet kind of look, so if you need a sweet black blouse, go for it! :D

>> No.6455956
File: 22 KB, 199x299, Obligatory Hot Topic model.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6455837
I got the pic off an old ebay posting, which explains the bad quality. I have the exact same dress though, I managed to find an old photo of a hottopic model wearing it that might show how it looks worn better.
I'm pretty sure the fabric is a cotton polyester blend. The skirt portion of mine wasn't hemmed very well so it's quite frayed at this point (I'm gonna lob it off and re-hem the blouse portion)

>>6455843
I don't really like the sleaves myself. They look better now that I have lost weight (compared to when I was in highschool) but I still think it suits someone with very thin arms a lot better.

As for remaking the sleeves, I'm not sure which type sleeves to make - I'll sketch some patterns up and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help and input!

>> No.6456070

>>6455956
I have this same dress and I might do the same thing!