[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 179 KB, 750x600, hair dye done right.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6407636 No.6407636 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /cgl/, can we have a hair or hair dye thread?

I've been thinking about dyeing my hair so I'd be interested in hearing what other people want to do and tips people have for hair. Pics would be nice too.

>> No.6407644
File: 25 KB, 283x424, 243053711109981029_B6E9a4bL_c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have brown hair that I've been growing out since I got a pixie last December. I had blonde peekaboos several years ago and I miss them like crazy. When my hair finally gets long again, I want to do some adorable/awesome peekaboos again. It's one of my favorite styles/ colorings. I love this chick's hair. Also Christina Perri's hair.

>> No.6407654
File: 227 KB, 635x281, 1209978420078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6407651

i do hair professionally
specifics are better than general ~what are some tips for hair~ type questions.
but i can give you some questions to answer as well.

how long is your hair?
when was your last hair cut?
has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
how often do you wash and condition your hair?
what are you using to wash and condition your hair?
what do you put in your hair now product wise?
how often do you blow dry, flat iron, curl, etc?
what's your budget for hair products, and maintenance?
and lastly - how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?

i think that's all i need.

>> No.6407663
File: 92 KB, 480x480, photo-20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dyed my hair purple about a month and a half ago. This is how it's faded out so far.

I have dark brown hair to start with, and I needed to bleach out for the color to take. I did Special Effects Deep Purple for the top part and for the back, I did a combination of Deep Purple and whatever their dark blue color is.

This fucking dye stained the SHIT out of my tub it took concentrated bleach to clean it out. Everything my hair touches, it turns purple. I'm ready to dye it back to brown since it's too much maintenance.

>> No.6407666

>>6407654
And this is me too. This was back in 2004 when I dyed my hair pink.

>> No.6407672

>>6407663
i feel your pain. i did red hair for years, like i think 5 years. my bathroom has to be completely re-done before this house can sell. the bathtub, floor, counter, even the walls need to be repainted.

i also had to paint my bed frame again because i got pink on it from leaning on it with slightly damp hair.

brown hair is so much easier.

>> No.6407683

>>6407663
>This fucking dye stained the SHIT out of my tub it took concentrated bleach to clean it out. Everything my hair touches, it turns purple.

but hey, it looks cool.

>> No.6407702
File: 187 KB, 800x1200, 1290019311653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6407651
>how long is your hair?
Just about an inch or two below my shoulders. I've been trying to grow it out.
>when was your last hair cut?
Two months ago.
>has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
At the end of spring I had my hair dyed brown because I wanted to get rid of the highlights in my hair.
>how often do you wash and condition your hair?
I wash and condition my hair about every other day (I have to because it gets extremely oily).
>what are you using to wash and condition your hair?
I am using One 'n Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo and Conditioner (sulfate, phosphate, and paraben free).
>what do you put in your hair now product wise?
I use mousse for volume because my hair is very thin and flat.
>how often do you blow dry, flat iron, curl, etc?
I blow dry every time I wash my hair so about every two days and I use the flat iron from time to time.
>what's your budget for hair products, and maintenance?
I'd rather not spend too much because I don't have much money but I really want it to look so I am willing to pay more if necessary.
>and lastly - how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
I will devote a lot of time to my hair to make it look good. I can spend an hour a day on my hair, probably, and then whatever extra is necessary for upkeep.

>> No.6407704

>>6407683
Ugh, I know. I get a ton of compliments on my hair, but my poor sheets and tub... I can't even wear white collared shirts when I go to court unless my hair is pulled up.

>> No.6407708

>>6407644
That looks really nice! I always liked the look of peekaboos.

>> No.6407716

>>6407702
your hair sounds like it should be in healthy condition, nothing you do or did should be overly damaging. i would avoid going light quickly since you colored over bleached hair. but as long as you did it in steps you could get light without a huge problem.

are you trying to go to neon colors? because those take a lot of upkeep and are extremely time consuming. they can be very cheap if you DIY- but like Soni and i said they are very very messy.
i also wouldn't recommend you bleach it yourself since you're bleaching on top of color on top of bleach

>> No.6407731
File: 502 KB, 632x460, tumblr_md75t4Tvie1qiihl5o1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6407716
That's good to hear! So you think it'd be safest to get my hair bleached at a salon then do the rest of the coloring myself?

I actually would really love a pastel kind of silvery lavender color. Something like in this pic. Problem is, I have no idea how to get it to look good or what dyes to use. My friends think they know how to dye but I don't know how much I trust them...

>> No.6407740

>>6407651
Shoulder length.
About a year ago.
One box of red dye over virgin hair, and then several applications of henna when the color was too much hassle to maintain.
Once a day at least. sometimes twice a day
Head and shoulders Shampoo (original) and the matching conditioner (the almond oil one)
Nothing.
Never.
Very low budget
As much time as needed.

I have pretty much no issues with my hair as of right now, but i'm trying to grow it pretty long, longer than i've ever had it before, so about middle of my back, but i want to make sure i keep it healthy. I have no split or dry ends, no issues with frizz, and my hair is naturally straight, but waves when it has layers cut in it.

What products/how should i treat it to make it grow healthy and strong?

>> No.6407746

>>6407731
yes, that should be fine. just make sure they know you have color on top of bleach already. many salons don't really ask.

also, the easiest way to get that color is to color your hair with purple shampoo. which is a bit like- what that's shampoo- but if you want the actual silver purple and not a more lilac lavender color purple shampoo will give you a better result.
you have to keep up with that a ton, though. because that's not really a color as much as it is a tone. even the actual dyes fade within a couple washes.
i saw a really good tutorial for it on youtube once, let me go look for it.

>> No.6407758

>>6407746
Ah, thank you so much for your help! This is great to know, you've already spared my hair a lot of pain!

>> No.6407765

>>6407731
I have this colour at the moment, I dyed it a dark purple and because I normally have white/silvery hair I figured if I washed the purple hair with my toning shampoo and conditioner that I would get that result and I did! If you're in the UK buy 'a touch of silver', works really well, better than John Freida or expensive brands in my experience.

>> No.6407788

>>6407758
can't find it-
but this is another one i really really like and i love the color line she uses
http://youtu.be/j_zyxevaBFU

just leave it on longer than she did though, hers ended up more silvery than purpley on her real hair because it didn't penetrate enough.

hnnnng now i want silver hair
BRB coloring my extensions silver to clip in to my weave.
-cries-

>> No.6407792

>>6407740
stop using head and shoulders, switch to a professional line. Pureology is the best of the best, but it's also expensive. Redken and Paul Mitchell and pretty much anything not drug store. it costs a bit more, but in the end it will be worth it.

reason being drug store shampoos use silicone and basic sulfates to fill the bottle. silicone will coat your hair, leaving the shaft unable to receive any of the natural oils from your scalp as well as your conditioner. the shaft will... die (not really die since hair isn't alive. think of how like, over processed bleach hair is. it will turn into that) inside of the silicone chamber and no longer be able to be repaired.
the way head and shoulders works is silicone to the extreme, it coats your hair, scalp, everything, in a thick waxy siliconey layer preventing your scalp to flake by trapping the dead skin on your scalp.

the reason your hair feels soft is because the silicone is very smooth, so your hair feels smooth. but... it's not really. it's just encased in silicone.

as for basic sulfates, sulfates are basically soap. like, they're what creates lather. and they aren't always a terrible thing, many brands use modified sulfates and they're fine. but a basic sulfate is too harsh for your hair and will dry it out to the point of no return.

as for leave in products, if you have no issues with your hair a basic cocktail of serum+strength is enough. as well as a heat protect whenever you blow dry, flat iron, curl, whatever.
when hair gets long it needs a little extra protein to be able to keep the length.
Sebastian is a good line for this, they're high end but not as expensive. TIGI Bed Head, is also a good line.

but seriously, BRB. i am getting some silver hair right the fuck now.
uhgg you guys, convince me not to bleach my whole head again.
maybe silver bangs? that'd be cool. right?

>> No.6407810

>>6407663
I find scrubbing with baking soda while it's still damp is pretty good and removes the need for bleaching, there's usually a faded looking spot left that will go with time. I've been blue, red, purple, and green from various brands over the years and getting to hair dye stains when fresh is always the best for getting rid of them.

>> No.6407820

>>6407792
What color is your hair now??

>> No.6407830

i threw some Redken EQ Shades in the color Chrome on some of my old blonde extensions, i'll post a before and after when they're done.
i'll check on them in about 10 minutes, i haven't used EQ Shades on extensions before so fingers crossed.

>> No.6407838

>>6407810
vitamin C also is an option, as well as dish soap to remove color without bleaching.

>>6407820
dark dark dark brown
i have to be dark brown, or dark something, if i want to have fake hair on because my hair is nearly black so when roots come in i have to have them taken care of nearly every 2 weeks to maintain a light color without looking gross.

though i personally don't mind roots too much, i like the whole dirty look myself, i do keep my extensions in for over 8 weeks and that would be like almost an entire inch of re-growth which would look a bit unprofessional.
but i like it.
it might look cool with gray hair though.
but with gray hair you have to retouch the gray too often so...

>> No.6407914

Would you mind helping me out too? You seem to know what you're talking about.

> how long is your hair?
About jaw length but uneven as I'm growing out an undercut.
Probably 7 months ago.
>has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
I've dyed it dark brown over dyed red hair.
Every other day.
> what are you using to wash and condition your hair?
John Frieda's Brilliantly Brunette shampoo and John Frieda's Full Repair conditioner.
Just Tresemme Keratin Smooth heat protector.
I blowdry once or twice a week.
I'd rather be less expensive but I'm willing to shell out if it'll keep my hair strong and able to grow, as I'd like it to be about chest length.
>and lastly - how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
I'm willing to devote an hour to my hair everyday and do weekly masks or serums if need be.

>> No.6407938

I just bleached to go lavender. I'm prepping to get extensions soon too. What should I do to make my hair soft after such intense bleaching, and what should I do to help maintain the extensions?

>> No.6407994
File: 72 KB, 500x333, 13469327.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been wanting to dye my hair a color similar to pic related for a couple months now, does anyone have a suggestion for brands to look into?

should I attempt to do it myself, or should I get it professionally done?
I usually dye my hair out of the box every couple of months, but those have always been more natural colors.

>> No.6408031

>>6407938
you should have used better bleach
*badumcha*
no, but really. next time, use better bleach. Goldwell is god tier

sleeping in conditioner is always pretty good. just put two or three different conditioners in, wrap it in a plastic bag/shower cap and wrap that in a towel so you don't drip.
you can also

>>6407994
Redken, or Pravana would be my top two.
both have really beautiful red shades.

>> No.6408050

>>6407914
so you're trying to grow longer? okay.

i don't like drug store products, the reason they sell for less isn't because they want to be nice to you. it's because what they use is cheaper.
John Frieda is okay from what i know, which isn't a lot, but Tresemme isn't. i would switch to like, TIGI. i love TIGI products.

everything you're doing sounds fine, just not Tresemme.

>> No.6408054

>>6408050
Thank you for the advice! I'll grab some TIGI next time I'm out shopping.

>> No.6408063

sage because i keep positing over and over and over
but here's how my extensions turned out

i left the EQ shades on for about 20 minutes, washed it with Paul Mitchell's purple shampoo and conditioned with Redken All Soft. let that sit 5 minutes and then put it in front of a fan to blow dry.
i should have left it on longer, but like i said it was my first time trying EQ shades on extensions and the general rule of extensions is leave the color on less than you would real hair as they take faster than hair still on the head. i might do it again, i'll see after i style them.

they're still a bit damp in this, but i am going to be blow drying and styling my own hair for like another hour so i thought i'd post it now.

left is unused wefts from the pack of hair that i got a forever ago, right is the colored wefts. 3 of them had been colored once before, toned less yellow, while one was not. it's less purple and more green than the ones that had been pre-toned. i like the pre-toned better. but oh well, i only had 3 of those. it's not too noticeable.

>> No.6408075
File: 531 KB, 1200x1600, IMG_2558.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6408063
and i dropped my picture
seriously
i need to just go in my corner

>>6408054
good luck
like everything in life it's put good in, get good out.
cheap things are never good, and good things are never cheap

>> No.6408077

>>6407994
Seconding this.

I have ash-gray-blond hair but have been dyeing it black for years. I've done practically everything there is to be done to my hair. Bleached it, straightened it, curled it, I've had pink hair, blue hair, almost-white hair since I couldn't get the damn yellow tones off, I've had stripes, shit I don't even remeber.
I've somewhat surprised that I even have hair anymore. For the four or more years I've only dyed my hair black and kept a good care of it, but I am getting kind of bored with this colour.

Now, I have rather thin hair and if I do a chemical bleach it turns into this soft cotton candy and goes from thin to bald. I'd really want to dye my hair dark red, but what the heck I am suppose to do with this? I don't want to damage my hair too much, for it took a long time to get it back from frizzy shit to Loreal, because you're worth it.

Also, the red doesn't stay in my hair for a long time. What do people usually do? Just keep dying it every couple of weeks?

>> No.6408163

Hey ladies. I want black hair, my eyes are dark brown and I'm pale but more on a yellowish side. What shade of black will flatter my skintone? Violet-black, reddish black, blue-black or simple blacky black?

>> No.6408194

>how long is your hair?
About an inch below my shoulders.
Longggg ago. I can't even remember the last time I went to get it cut.
>has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled?
About a month and a half ago I colored it for the first time! I started by bleaching it, then waiting about two weeks before dying it teal.
>chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
As I mentioned above, yes, it has been bleached.
I try to do it every other day, but I skip a lot when I have exams or have to stay up late.
Pantene Color Stay (both shampoo and conditioner)
I often use this Garnier Spray (which I can't remember the name of, goddammit.) that is supposed to nourish your roots and repair hair. I also occasionally use cholesterol on my hair.
I haven't heated my hair with anything in about a year. I have thin hair as it is and im always afraid of damaging it.
I can't spend a lot all at once, but I might be able to afford one expensive product.
I devote about 30 minutes to my hair each day. Sometimes more.

Apart from wondering whether or not my hair is in good shape with what im doing to it, I was also wondering if any of you could recommend what to use in terms of bleaching/crazy color hair dyes? I'm looking to re-dye my hair teal (because it has unfortunately faded to a green).

>> No.6408324

Ah spooky we meet again! You're really knowledgeable with hair and makeup, it's awesome to get to speak to someone about it.

how long is your hair?
-Currently hits my shoulders

-trimmed 4 weeks ago

has it ever been colored? chemically
-A lot..Recently I've been being better to it, have not colored it in almost 3 months.
straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
-Straighten it sometimes, other than that nothing!

Every other day about.

DermOrganic Conditioning Shampoo and for conditioner I use Aussie 3 minute miracle.

Lush split end treatment

Once every week or so.

30-50 $

and lastly - how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
A lot of time...

>> No.6408679
File: 52 KB, 672x755, megannyinkhair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6408077
if you don't want to loose your hair, you'd have to grow it out, and cut off the black.
Though if you don't want to wait for the red, you could do something like the chick from NY ink.

If you're willing to experiment, try color strippers or all natural color strippers, and also, get a spray-bottle of Placenta to bulk your hair in preparation.

>> No.6409005

>>6407788
Her hair turned out beautifully! I bought the color from the website she recommended. Hopefully it won't take to long to get here.

I hope I get results similar to hers!

>> No.6409020

>>6408077
>>6408679
i did this once, it looked great.

but you don't /have/ to cut all the black off. i have bleached to pure white from black. it takes a long time, but if you're just trying to get to red and are willing to go with a darker red instead of a fire truck red you could do it in one day- as long as you take the week before doing at home color strippers.

vit C mixed with shampoo, dish soap, baking soda, and horse shampoo are all ways to strip hair color without bleaching.
Paul Mitchell also makes a color stripper that works well. if you don't want to really lighten hair too much, but just remove pigment.

going to respond to other people now.

>> No.6409061

>>6408163
blue black might make you look washed out. a warm black might be better- but wont look as pitch black as a blue black.

>>6408194
you should get it trimmed. split ends will cause your hair to break a lot further up than a trim would do. stress "no more than x amount cut off" if you don't want it trimmed too much.

it's fine to go longer between washed. in fact, it's better. if you can go a week without washing your hair do it! all the oils are good for your hair.

stop using drug store products.
and pure cholesterol is too big to get into your hair shaft, unfortunately. it will moisturize it a bit but not repair it or add to it in any way.

if you can only afford one good thing get a good conditioner, and a good leave in spray, shampoo is whatever, baby shampoo is actually better than most drug store stuff so you can switch to that.
but what you use to repair your hair is important. Bed Head is affordable and good.

Ink Works by Paul Mitchell, Pravana, and Joico are all fantastic for unnatural colors.

>>6408324
what do you want help with, sorry?

>>6409020
this was me
dropped my trip
sorry

>> No.6409072
File: 28 KB, 640x480, g.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> how long is your hair?
Just down to my arm pits when it's straightened.
> when was your last hair cut?
A few months ago, I got the ends trimmed.
> has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
I haven't coloured my hair since september 2011, it was a dark violet/red colour, I still have bleached tips in some places from when I had two tone hair.
> how often do you wash and condition your hair?
> what are you using to wash and condition your hair? A couple of times a week.
> what do you put in your hair now product wise?
Tony & Guy heat protective spray, Tresseme hair spray.
> how often do you blow dry, flat iron, curl, etc?
Once a week or so.
> what's your budget for hair products, and maintenance?
$15, haha.
> and lastly - how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
I don't wanna be fixing my roots all the time, and I'm a busy person with a kid so something easy maintenance would be amazing.

Hair cut/style/colour suggestions are welcome!
I kinda wanna go dark red but not sure if it'd look good or not.
Shit picture included, help me :<

>> No.6409077

>>6409072
Shit, some of my answers went nuts.

I wash/condition my hair a couple of times a week.
I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair.

>> No.6409105

>>6409072
you are so pretty
like, if i had you in my chair i would spend over an hour just talking about all the things we /could/ do that would look good on you.

you're the type of person i want in my chair that says
>i don't know what i want, just be creative
unff

okay anyway sorry back on track

stop using tresseme. Bed Head and Sebastian are pretty inexpensive and much better for your hair.

i think red hair would look beautiful on you, but red is a lot of upkeep and it gets /everywhere/. if you do it yourself prepare to be bleaching your bathroom like crazy. sleeping with only dark sheets, and if you sweat sometimes it will be red.
a nice alternative would be dip dye ends, just a little bleach on the ends of your hair, enough to make it orange-y, and then choose any color you want. purple, red, blue, green, as long as you don't want any neons or anything too light it will be cheap, easy to maintain, and a fun flare to your hair.

>> No.6409124

>>6409072
2spooky

>> No.6409131
File: 48 KB, 425x572, vogueital11951.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6409072
lel hey big nose i like your big fat mom arms

>> No.6409146

>>6409105
Ahh thanks for the tips and the compliment, I've always thought you were really pretty, haha.
I might just dip dye the ends cos I went a .. brighter red a few years ago and had to touch it up every week cos of the fading!

>>6409131
I'm glad!

>> No.6409219

>>6409131
Lol fatty-chan is jealous.

>> No.6409234
File: 1.31 MB, 1050x565, photos.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6408324
ugh it ate my picture and my question! Same photo as last thread but the right is my current haircut. I was curious if something would look better/different? I'm getting bored with it DX

>> No.6409247

>>6409234
your hair is pretty, the tone is nice, but it looks a bit "dull" and like, frizzy?
something like Redken EQ shades, or Paul Mitchell's shines would really be nice. it can change the tone of your hair, but not the darkness, and give you a bit of moisturizing shineyness. you could do like- pure red to make your hair super red brown, which would be really pretty.

i think /really/ dark hair would look amazing on you though.
like, green eyes and super dark hair is my ultimate girl. such a naturally striking look.

>>6409146
yeah, i had red hair for years.
never. again.
but then i decided to go red again and literally as soon as she took the towel off my head of washing it i was like "NO WHY DID I DO THIS I ALREADY FEEL REGRET"
it looked good for the month i had it though

>> No.6409279

>>6409247
Had Black hair for the longest time, will probably be going back when my hair gets to the desired length I want it at. Finally letting it grow out from a super short cut. My ends are usually really dry and frizzy, so I'll try anything to make it less so!

>> No.6409405 [DELETED] 
File: 119 KB, 480x640, hair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6409234

How bright a red do you think someone working could get away with? My job requires "natural hair colors" but can be flexible (streaks/highlights okay).

>> No.6409410
File: 119 KB, 480x640, hair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How bright a red do you think someone working could get away with? My job requires "natural hair colors" but can be flexible (streaks/highlights okay).

>> No.6409416

>>6409410
You could try asking your boss before doing something that you might be forced to cover up.

>> No.6409426

>>6409416

I asked him awhile ago and his response was "a natural color."

>> No.6409429

>>6409426
Then do the math, don't do anything other than a natural color unless you want to risk getting fired or written up for going against workplace rules.

>> No.6409488

This seems like an appropriate thread to get some help.

I'm a guy with pretty thick and curly dark brown hair but I want to dye it a sort of mint green colour once it gets long enough to tie back. I also don't really know how I should be taking care of it. It seems in generally okay condition at the moment but I could be completely wrong. Would it be possible to get it thinned out and start straightening it once it gets longer? Regarding the colour, my friend dyed her hair a sort of grey colour before dying a light purple over that, and it looks really good. How would I go about doing something like that? Seriously I have no clue what I'm doing.

>> No.6409985

>>6408679
>>6409020

Hey, thanks! I've never before used any home made color strippers (sounds kinda dirty, like a black woman suddenly appears in my living room and starts to shake her booty) before, instead I've used hairdresser grade products to bleach the fuck out of my hair. How well do this work? I'm planning to go dark red instead of bright anyway, but should I wait for my black to fade a bit before trying?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I think I might do a little google searching right now.

>> No.6409999

>>6409488
For taking care of your hair, make sure that you get it trimmed every 1 - 3 months.
Also, when you're in the shower, only use shampoo on your scalp and lots of conditioner on the ends only. You can have a little on your fingers and run that through the hair closer to your scalp if you want, but don't glob it on there.

For the color. You'll want to bleach your hair. I'd say gradually but you could try to do it all at once. As long as your hair isn't a rubbery consistency, you're good.
So you'll want to go for a platinum blonde, and you'll have to use toner to get the weird color out of your hair and get it how you'll need it to make it the color you want.

>> No.6410001

>>6409488
I have naturally very very dark brown hair, almost black and I've been dying my hair bright purple for years, violet/plum colours. I bleach my hair for about 1.5 - 2hours to get it light enough, and it still has coppery tones, it fucks up your hair so you will need to put a treatment in it, atleast once a week, and you'll want some blonde toner to strip out those copper tones if you're trying to go green. also, i don't know what brand you intend to use, but lighter colours tend to fade faster than darker ones, so keep that in mind with how often you want to re-dye your hair. I use box bleach, and it's worked better for me than mixing it yourself, I use Nordic pre-lightener and it's the bomb.

>> No.6410046

>>6410001
You are an idiot, of course this is fucking up your hair. Leaving bleach on longer than the packet time does nothing but damage your hair, the lightening reaction stops once all of the ingredients have reacted with each other - This is always the amount of time stated on the packet. You're just leaving highly corrosive chemicals sitting on your hair eating away at it. It can also cause you to develop an allergy through overexposure, which can end up killing you.

>>6409488
You need to lighten your hair in steps, with a minimum of one month between full head bleaches, using coconut oil on your hair whilst you're bleaching it and in between bleaches before washing it. Don't deviate from the packet instructions AT ALL. If you achieve a blond on your first bleach, rather than a ginger which is most likely with dark hair, you may be able to get away with a bleach bath rather than a full head bleach, in which case you need only wait 2-3 weeks. Mint green can be a difficult colour if you want to use an actually mint green dye, as your hair needs to be the colour of the inside of a banana at least for it to take. You can get away with a darker yellow base by using a purely blue dye though. Your hair is already yellow and blue + yellow = green. Pastel-y/light colours require a lot of upkeep, putting some dye in your conditioner is a nice way of keeping it topped up and fresh looking.

Hairdyeforum.com for bleach baths tutorial/brands of veggie dye to use/why coconut oil is important.

>> No.6410047

Hey hey hey hey.

This is probably the best place as any to ask this;
>What works better for achieving cotton candy pink hair? Special Effects Atomic pink, diluted with conditioner, or Special Effects Cupcake pink, just on it's own.

I currently have almost cotton candy pink hair at the moment, I just used a diluted red (SE Cherry Bomb) and it's fading out a bit orangey, which is not what I'm after.

>> No.6410048

>>6410046
That's not true, leaving it on longer is a common practice. You just have to be diligent about checking your haircolor and elasticity while doing it.

>> No.6410057

>>6409488
Bleach out your hair. Do research on this, get your friend to help you and test strands! I cannot stress enough doing test strands. This is a good way to test your hair and see what length of time works as far as coloring AND bleaching goes.
In order to get a pastel shade you're going to want to use conditioner to dilute the dye. A LOT of conditioner. Doesn't seem to matter what type, I use Herbal Essences.
And for mint green you're going to want to buy a green shade that has a blue tone to it, not a yellow tone.
Mix a little bit of that dye into a lot of conditioner until it achieves the color you're going for.

Also if you're going for mint green you're probably going to want to tone out your bleached hair so that it doesn't have much yellow left in it. Punky Colors has a toner, and so do a lot of other "alternative" hair dye sellers.

>> No.6410059

>>6410048
It may be common practice, but that doesn't mean hair dye can suddenly violate the laws of chemistry. When a chemical reaction occurs it goes on until the components are used up in the reaction and then it stops. No exceptions.

>> No.6410065

>>6410047
Best pink hands down would be Pravana pink/rose. It's a really pretty medium pink shade that fades lighter pink.

>> No.6410172

I'm about to colour my hair silver, but I need some advice on which second colour to choose
I am thinking about a dark and discreet red (lol), but any suggestions along with a reason why would be very nice!
I'm even open for suggestions on which shade I should have on the silver (dark/light etc)

>> No.6410202

my problem is that i desperately want straight across bangs but my face is wide )^: (i have a side fringe and its hella annoying)

i just want a haircut that covers most of the sides of my face so it looks more narrow, any suggestions?

>> No.6410227

>>6410202
you got wigs with a straight-cut bang? if you like how they look, just go for it.

>> No.6410225

Not about dye, but about hair masks. Specifically the packaged ones.
Most say to wear them in your hair for 5~15 minutes. Is this because the chemicals they include can become harmful after that time, or just because they assume most people won't want to wear the mask past that time.
Specifically I have Etude House Silk Scarf dual hair care mask. It says to wear the mask for 5~10 minutes but I was wondering if I wore it for longer (like an hour or so) if this would make the effects better or do something fucked up.

For reference I have recently-dyed fine wavy hair.

>> No.6410231

>>6410202
I have a really round face with straight bangs. I just get my hair dresser to cut in some chin-length whispy bangs on either side of my face rather than make my bangs super wide.

>> No.6410277

I want purple hair but I have no idea if it will look good on me. I currently have dark brown hair, extremely pale skin, and blue/green eyes. Do you guys think it would work for me? Or would it make me look washed out? Also, since my eyebrows are black should I dye them purple or leave them as they are?

My friends also are giving me a hard time, they think it'd look bad on me, but then again they hate all unnatural colors.

>> No.6410288
File: 91 KB, 480x570, 1337733535947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

extremely pale? go for it and yes dye those brows, it generally looks better.
if you went for a pastel purple it'd probably look washed out. Otherwise it'll compliment your eyes.
And if your friends cant give you supportive advice on something YOU want to do with YOUR hair, then their opinion should be excluded in this situation.

(ilovetihsn threada)

>> No.6410301

>>6410277
Whether or not it will wash you out mostly depends on your skin's undertones. I'm also very pale with yellowish undertones and most pastels make me look sickly. Do you own any purple clothes that people have complimented you on? Look at shades like that, not shades that look the most kawaii on tumblr.
Dark hair can also be really hard to bleach down to a colour light enough to dye purple. Be careful and, if possible, go to a professional.

>> No.6410315
File: 211 KB, 560x273, hair2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how long is your hair?
Almost to my shoulders, want to get clip-ins soon but I'm worrying that it wont blend well since my hair is still so short.
A few months ago.
>has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened?
I dyed my hair black for 7 years, now I tone it teal/green/blue, but I will probably just keep it blonde (which is my natural) most of the time.
3 times a month or so.
Nothing special really, don't have a favourite since I went back to my natural hair.
Dry shampoo between the washes.
Only blow dry if I'm in a rush, which is rarely. I don't like applying heat to my hair otherwise.
Euh don't really have one, but I tend not to spend too much money on it anyways.
Too much probably.

>> No.6410320

What the hell is dry/leave in shampoos and conditioners? I've never been able to find it in my area, probably because I don't know what to look for. It also doesn't help that when I ask the clerks they have no idea what I'm talking about (I guess it isn't used in this area?)

What are good brands for long, thick hair? How often should I use it? Is it better to use leave-in conditioner or dry shampoo?

>> No.6410325

>>6410320
Dry shampoo and leave-in conditioner is two different things, what sort of effect are you looking for?

>> No.6410331

>>6410325

I guess shiny and non frizzy hair? I just get tired of washing my hair so I thought those would be good alternatives

>> No.6410345

>>6410331
Leave-in conditioner then, it should be by the regular conditioners, maybe go to a hair saloon and look there?

A dry shampoo is basically a powder that will suck up the grease from you hair, so if you have frizzy hair it's probably not that good.

>> No.6410350

>>6410288
>>6410301

Urk! I was actually planning on a pastel purple...Oh no.

My skin has a sort of greenish color to it, compared to my friends who have a more red pale color. I guess it won't look too great then?

I like the advice about using purple clothes I have. I'll have to check out what they look like on me.

>> No.6410357

>>6410059
except bleach isnt hair color. its bleach.
yes, hair color will stop processing but bleach just keeps going until you get it off of your hair, which is why its important to rinse it off of your hair thoroughly because if any is left it will continue to work and cause your hair color to fade

>> No.6411387
File: 367 KB, 1314x1944, 1290063924718.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump with someone's pretty hair

>> No.6411389
File: 460 KB, 500x665, 1290012817175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6411393
File: 111 KB, 465x700, 1290022333617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6411412

>>6411393
that's really cute!

>> No.6411416
File: 494 KB, 960x1280, 20120918_111603.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Posting a pic of my own hair just cause. I did it myself, lightening it from black to blonde then dying. I don't have any tips though as I did it all within a fortnight and it would kill most peoples hair to do it that fast.

>> No.6411420

>>6411416
By the ends of your hair, it looks like it killed yours too.

>> No.6411428

>>6411420
Probably I didn't really know what I was doing when I did it.

>> No.6411430

>>6411416
Wow, I love that color! It's such a bright pink! What did you use?

>> No.6411459 [DELETED] 

>>6411430
I used Paintbox's Rasberry Beret

>> No.6411464

>>6411430
I used Paint Box's Raspberry Beret

>> No.6411468

So how does someone dye their eyebrows without dying their whole skin around them?

>> No.6411471

I was thinking of adding some colors to my hair. Possibly doing a pastel ombre or something when I get bored growing out my hair. I have naturally curly, dark brown hair.
help mi plz
>how long is your hair?
About 2 inches from waist length
10 months ago. But I'll be getting it trimmed within the month
>has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically
lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
I bleached my bangs 2 years ago to be a golden blonde (I have naturally dark brown hair) and I have gotten it chemically straightened twice before (but I haven't within the last 2 years)
Every 2 - 3 days
Normally I use Pantene Pro-V for all hair types shampoo and Herbal Essences conditioner
Alfaparf weightless illuminating serum
I only straighten my hair maybe once or twice a month
I don't want to spend more than $30+ on one product. that's about it.
I'll devote as much time as necessary

>> No.6411489

I wouldn't mind a little advice..

>how long is your hair?
Shoulder length but I plan on cutting it shorter soon. My hair grows really fast.
The end of August.
>has it ever been colored? chemically lightened?
Yep. My natural shade is a boring brown so it's a honey blonde right now. I colored my hair dark red in the front over top of that though. I was thinking of coloring the top half of my hair that red color and the underside black though.
Every other day.
I use L'Oreal's sulfate free conditioning cream shampoo. Once a week I use Biosilk's Silk conditioner.
When it was shorter I would spike my ends with gel or a molding paste. Now that it's grown out I don't use hardly anything.
I try to air dry my hair but I end up blow drying it at least twice a week. I don't like damp hair in the winter. When it was shorter I would flat iron it and flip it out with the iron nearly every day.
It depends on what it is. I don't want to go to a salon for touch ups constantly. I like to do things myself.
and lastly -> how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
As far as dying I'll take whatever time is needed. Styling wise though..not long. 20 minutes tops.

Also, I really want a newer haircut. I have naturally thin hair and a round chubby face. Do you have recommendations?

>> No.6411843

>>6410357
No. That's not how it works or why it's important to rinse it off. The parts of bleach you mix still undergo a chemical reaction. This is why they come stored in separate packages and why it goes "Off" Eventually.

To reiterate: Once the two "Ingredients have reacted, there is literally nothing left to react. The ingredients have combined with one another into something else.

/cgl/ seriously you can't even into year eight science.

>> No.6412609

>>6411416
Do you have any pictures of how the colour ashed out?

>> No.6412623
File: 9 KB, 251x235, 1352576359396.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All I know is I've been White, Lilac and Grey and NEVER AGAIN. Nothing feels as good as my natural hair does and it saves a butt load of money and maintenance. Sure it looks pretty but so do a lot of girls with their natural colour

>> No.6412625

>>6412623
How do you get grey? Got any pictures?

>> No.6412632
File: 46 KB, 960x540, greys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6412625
Lilac - Bleach - Ash blonde box colour

>> No.6412643

>how long is your hair?
It reaches the middle of my boob.
Sometime in May, I think. I also chemically straightened my hair at this time.
>has it ever been colored? chemically
straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
I've chemically straightened it with Bio Ionic four times. Usually my hair is dreadfully frizzy. Now it's really damaged and dull looking.
Typically every 3-4 Days, my hair is dry though so I could probably go for longer.
Organix Hydrating Macadania Nut Oil shampoo and conditioner
It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product, Some generic heat-care spray
I usually do a combination of curling and flat ironing my hair every day.
The chemically straightening substance is $200, so around there.
Half an hour a day in the morning, otherwise however much is needed.

>> No.6412651

>>6412632
Damn, that looks really nice. I'm jealous!

>> No.6412663

>>6412651
It's faded out to a really light/white blonde now. I'm actually having a race to grow my hair out with someone in the family from the Marines though so my natural will bang through soon

>> No.6412681
File: 588 KB, 1536x2048, 0918121014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm gonna miss this color but reds fade so fast on me... oh well.
I'm going back to natural as my hair doesn't hold color very well and I've got a pretty ash blonde anyway. Wigs work when I get bored and don't take time to grow out.

>> No.6412732
File: 30 KB, 400x300, sabledog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how long is your hair?
About 5 inches past my shoulders.
Sometime around the middle of August, I actually don’t really remember.
I had it dyed a lighter reddish-brown last year, and the had brighter red highlights added sometime after. Those have pretty much faded and gone, my hair and nails grow very fast.
Every 2 days or so, depending.
Herbal Essences’ “None Of Your Frizziness” shampoo and conditioner.
Once every two days when I wash it thoroughly, usually I blow it out, and then sometimes I flatten it.
I usually try to keep everyday supplies under $40, but will go higher for dyes, bleaches, etc.
Half an hour to an hour a day, every day if needed.

And as embarassingly and probably impossible this inquiry is, I really want to try and achieve some sort of chocolate-light brown-blonde root-to-tip gradient in my hair. I have no idea how I would do this and you seem pretty experienced, so I hope you don’t mind me asking. Allow me to embarrass myself further by sticking up this picture of a dog and going “Wow! I want my hair colour to look kinda like that!” after doing so.

>> No.6413011

>>6410172
Bumping for answer on my question :(

>> No.6413041

>>6411468
Don't dye your eyebrows, just use a colored eyeshadow in whatever color to fill them in.

>> No.6413069

Speaking of eyebrows...
When a girl has unnaturally colored hair (pink, blue, ect) do you guys think it looks better to have eyebrows in the same unnatural color, or to have them be a regular color like brown?

>> No.6413105

>>6413069
It really depends on how it fist with the overall style.
If you lean toward the more alternative/gothy/raver-y side then it tends to work but if you dress in more mainstream or cute fashions, it mostly looks really wrong.
There are probably exceptions to this but that's just my opinion.

>> No.6413110

>>6413069
Honestly, I think it should depend on your own preferences. A lot of the time unnatural colored brows that are too light look weird as fuck or just dumb, personally. Eyebrows to me are just to frame the face, not to match the hair.

>> No.6414557

>>6412732
bumpin for answer

>> No.6415857

How much is normal when it comes to losing hair in a day? I shed like a fucking cat, my hairs get everywhere and I feel like it's not normal. Every time I run my hands through it I lose a couple, and every guy I've dated finds my hairs everywhere.

It's pretty long (just about long enough to cover my boobs) and I am mildly anemic, but not severely. Someone reassure me I'm not going bald ;-;

>> No.6415874

>>6413110
>unnatural colored brows that are too light look weird as fuck

Oh my god, this. I was thinking of that when I saw a model on an episode of America's Next Top Model. Tyra's crazy.

>> No.6415930

>>6415857

I shed hair like a beast! I would say it's pretty dang normal, ESPECIALLY since your hair is longer now. When my hair was shorter, it seemed as if I shed less (probably did). Now that my hair is longer, I shed constantly. But, I think that because the hair is longer, it appears to shed a lot more and it probably tangles more often and suffers more damage.

Brush daily and take it easy on any tangles. I use a lot of leave-in conditioner between washes to help keep the strands hydrated. Try to comb the hair when it is wet/damp because that's when your hair is the strongest. I usually brush out most of the shedding hair when i shower and that helps throughout the week.

You can take supplements to help strengthen your hair too!

>> No.6416029

>>6415930
Yeah I definitely do try to only brush when it's damp, it tends to be very brittle. Thanks for your tips! Do you know of any good supplements? I've been considering taking iron to help with the anemia, but I'm not sure :/

>> No.6416325

>>6416029

I hear iron is good for anemia. My mom is also slightly anemic, and that's what she takes. Vitamin E is supposed to be good for hair, skin and nails and it's easy to find. Take as recommended because vitamin E is fat-soluble and it's not good to take more than the suggested dose. GNC has a vitamin formulated for hair called "Ultra Nourish-Hair" that you can try too. I haven't tried taking supplements myself, but I do take regular vitamins and I still have hair shedding issues. hahaha.

Also, it might help to switch to some kind of anti-breakage shampoo and splurge on some rich conditioner. You don't wash your hair everyday either, do you? That can dry out your hair too... If anything, wash your hair every other day and condition every day.

Good luck!

>> No.6416375

>>6416029
Do you know why you're anaemic? Is it iron deficiency or folate/B12 or something else? If it's iron deficiency anaemia then go for it, but if it isn't it won't help at all

>> No.6416527

>>6416325
I wash it every other day for the most part. Thank you, helpful anon! <3

>>6416375
Yes, it's iron deficiency. For all I know it could be B12 as well though. My body is kind of messed up

>> No.6419384

So /cgl/ I have a problem. I really love dyed hair and think it looks lovely when maintained properly and such. For awhile I've been thinking about dying my hair (which is naturally black) but I have olive skin with warm undertones. I've been trying hard not to tan because I do so very easily but I was just wondering what colors do you guys think would compliment my skin? Or if I should just avoid hair dye all together?

>> No.6419420

>>6419384
actually, if you have naturally black hair, bleaching and dying it all at once would be extremely dangerous
you can start with highlights and remember it's better let hair rests.
you could dye your hair but only in natural colours: shades of brown, maaaybe a dark red (depends what shade of red, some of them requires bleaching your hair)

if you want pink, green, blue and those non naturally colours, it would be a pain in the ass. they require your hair to be blonde, sometimes blonde and that's very hard to achieve for a person who has naturally dark hair.

tl;dr: dark hair needs bleaching. bleaching = damage.

>> No.6419440
File: 94 KB, 660x442, paleashblond.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So what would be the fastest way to get my hair to look like this? My hair is medium blond already.

>> No.6419442

>>6419440
Palty

>> No.6419468
File: 499 KB, 1440x1440, IMG_1783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6416527

Yeah! I really hope it all works out. I've had long hair off-and-on for a while, and shedding has always been a common problem. hahaha. My boyfriend hates it because i get hair all over his place! But definitely try to keep healthy both inside and out and hopefully things will get better!

>>6419384

I have darker skin too, and my hair is also naturally black. I've been dying my hair blue/purple for over a year and I personally like it. However, I didn't dye the roots because I didn't want to risk too much damage to my scalp and follicles, so I only dyed the tips. My cousin is a hair stylist and she did everything in one sitting. She stripped my natural color (bleach?) and then added the dye. She used redken salon hair dye which I believe is available for retail. I last had it dyed in July and the color is still in, but pretty faded. I still like it a lot and I plan to visit her again soon so that she can do a touch up on the color!

Anyway, if you do get your hair dyed, I would recommend having a professional do it. They know what they're doing and they have all the tools to do it. Sure, it's a little expensive, but it's worth the hassle in the end.

>> No.6419479

>>6419468
Pretty!

>> No.6419488

>>6419442

I was hoping to avoid the "dyeing hair gray then waiting for it to fade" step altogether.

>> No.6419490
File: 72 KB, 537x720, nikki_rainbow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6419479

Thanks! I love how these colors faded together! This is my cousin's hair, it's all rainbow and awesome!

>> No.6419498
File: 23 KB, 250x251, 1261338790427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6419490
>dat hair

>> No.6419497
File: 1.98 MB, 1453x1200, purp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just put some fuchsia and violet in my hair yesterday. I'm not totally pleased with the amount of pink and reds so I might do a violet wash tomorrow.

>> No.6419557

>>6419498
who the fuck are you? drop trip and gtfo newfag

>> No.6419607

>>6419497
I think that turned out really pretty!

>> No.6419608

I feel totally nervous but I guess I'm gonna get my hair bleached blonde from my dark brown tomorrow. Then I'll be using violet dye to make it a light purple.

If I end up hating what I did with my hair, is it easy just to dye my hair back to its old color?

>> No.6419611

>>6419557
>violator
>new
he was probably banned longer than youve been here

>> No.6419612
File: 41 KB, 400x300, harvey-birdman-attorney-at-law-the-ha-ha-ha-timeline.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6419557
>thinking ValleLator is newfag

>> No.6419625

>>6419608

It's easier to go darker, yes. You will have some obvious damage though, more than likely.

>> No.6419634

>>6419611
>>6419612
ive never seen that fag trip before, hes obviously newer than me

>> No.6419644

>>6419498
>>6419557
>>6419612
>>6419634
>valle returns out of nowhere
>instantly shits up a thread
Never change, Valle.

>> No.6419668

I have a question about dip-dying hair. Currently I have this auburn-y color hair that faded from a darker red box dye, and I'd absolutely love to have a fun color dip-dyed with black hair. My question is, how bad is it going to kill my hair if I dye it all black, then bleach and redye the ends all in one go? Is there a better or easier way of doing this or am I just going to have to bite the bullet?

>> No.6420226

Any tips for dying black hair? I'm Chinese, so it's really damn black. I've seen friends go through five rounds of bleach and toner to get theirs to the point where it would take color. I'm pretty sure that much bleach is bad for hair, and since I'm a lazy derp I'd probably just forget about dye if it meant a lot of extra effort taking care of it afterwards.

My hair is about chest length and I was thinking of dying the tips, if that matters at all. I wash it at least every other day, and it's never seen any kind of dye/treatment before. Although seeing a small chunk of it make half a can of hot pink temporary spray dye vanish was hilarious.

>> No.6420259

>>6419668
Getting black hair dye out of your hair is very, very difficult. Something about it sticking to the hair extra good or something I don't remember.
I do remember the six hours and 300 bucks it took to get my hair back to it's original color after dying it black for years. Also, any color you put on after dying hair black will come out darker then you expect.
I would not really recommend it. Go to a specialist or settle for dark brown.

>> No.6420907

Not about hair itself, but does anyone use Mane n Tail?
I have the Deep Moisturizing one but hear the original is much more effective.
Any good shampoos or conditioners for dry hair/scalp?

>> No.6421538
File: 73 KB, 640x480, example.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6420226
I'm also Chinese but with fairly fine hair. I use the Schwarzkopf Nordic Blonde pre-lightener to bleach mine which I'm pretty sure is 40vol bleach. It takes about an hour under a shower cap to get to that terrible asian ginger colour, then I can usually get it to a yellowy blonde in another hour (separate applications) and the dark blues and purples I use go over that quite well, I don't bother with toner because the blue/purple pretty much does that for me. If you're only doing the tips I recommend covering them in a plastic bag or something so the bleach doesn't dry out and stop reacting during the hour. Pic related - at the roots is the "yellow blonde" and further out you can see the ginger, plus the blue that I had in which was over a month old.

Of course bleaching is bad for your hair since to get the colour out you have to strip the cuticle, but if you want to dye it there's no way around it. If you want pink (since you mentioned it) Atomic Pink by Special Effects is one of the best dyes on the market for sticking power, and will go pretty well over yellow blonde.

>> No.6421545

>>6420907

I used to use Mane n Tail, I loved it. It's great if you have thick and/or coarse hair.

The only trick is the shampoo is detergent based, so you can't use it on coloured hair or it'll strip the colour.

>> No.6421551

>>6420226
>>6421538
This. Just use a 40 volume developer and it your hair will lighten enough to take on color. It's how I got bright red to stick to my black chinese hair.

Chinese internet brofist.

>> No.6421557

I have medium brown hair color, i'd say but I'd like white hair, does anyone have a recommended time on how long it should take? As in how many sessions or etc

>> No.6421564

>>6421557
Depends on how strong your hair is, I'd say.
Also, you'll want to use purple shampoo when you bleach your hair to take out the yellow tones.

>> No.6421573

>>6421557

Assuming by light brown you mean like a level 4 or 5, I'd say it should take 2 or 3 sessions, spaced out, to get your hair to level 10 (lightest possible blonde) without killing it. Then you want to use a purple toner to take out any remaining yellow.

>> No.6421579

>>6421557
it depends on a lot of things, like what's ever been on your hair chemical wise. how much sun exposure you get. how often you swim in pool or salt water. what shampoo and conditioner you use. what products you use. if you blow dry/flat iron/curl your hair correctly.

like, all the damage that has ever been taken by your hair effects how long it will take and if you can ever do it. i would plan on no less than 3 months, but quite possibly 6+

if you want white hair that is longer than chin length you will want to go to a professional, a color specialist or blonding specialist is best. if you want short, like a pixie cut, feel free to try it yourself. don't cry when it all breaks off, though.

>>6421564
purple shampoo will be important, you will want to wash with it practically every time you wash your hair- every other time if you're very porous. i mix purple shampoo with color protect shampoo for off days, makes it a little less purple but still there. Paul Mitchell has a Forever Blonde line that is this basic idea. it's really lovely.

but purple shampoo alone wont get you white. you'll need an actual toner. Redken is what i prefer for toners, EQ shades is to die for.

>> No.6421585

>>6421579
Do you have a picture of your hair right now?

>> No.6421586

>>6421573
>>6421564
Oh thank you.
I looked up the color and yes that's almost exactly what I have.
By spaced out do you mean by week or day?

>> No.6421588
File: 154 KB, 1080x720, Photo on 11-15-12 at 10.01 PM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6421585
my hair? it's nothing special. but i took this like- yesterday.

it was super dirty tho, i showered shortly after. now it's still just as plain... but clean.

>> No.6421597

>>6421586

Wait about two days between the first and second sessions (do not shampoo your hair), and 3 or 4 days depending on how your hair feels between subsequest sessions (still do not shampoo your hair).

Shampooing is verboten except to wash out the bleach throughout this process.

>> No.6421602

>>6421586
i am legit going to stop posting in these threads.
shit like this- i am so fucking done.

not you, anon. you don't know. you're /asking/ for help. it's the help you're getting that's pissing me off. going white is not easy, it is very possible you will not be possible to go white. even if you have perfectly healthy hair some hair can just literally not be entirely white.

also this will take months if you want your hair to be any sort of decent.
unless you're magic and lift well, which is entirely possible- i am this way most of the time. i can literally go from dark red to blonde in 2 or 3 visits. but it is not something you should count on or try yourself. again, i say go to a professional. if they see that you lift easily they will lift you more. where as if you DIY and you don't lift easily your hair will fry if you try to do it quickly. and if you do lift easily but you go slowly you will turn bright ass orange/yellow.

if you choose to DIY you should leave like 2 weeks between the first and second, this is more or less going to be used to test how you lift. and 4 between the second and third depending on how the first one goes.
if you need another, because you are already light brown, you might not be able to go white, choose a grey color instead. Redken has Chrome (a lighter silvery gray, from their semi-permanent line) and Steel (a darker silvery gray, from their permanent hair color line)
but this is something that will be very hard to tell by yourself, you should consult a professional at this point especially.

as for white toners, White Lady by Wella is something a friend of mine always did really well with. there are very few pure white toners and more often than not i usually just leave an blue, or violent based toner on longer than recommended to completely negate any tones left in the hair.

>> No.6421610

>>6421602
Not sure if this is any better advice, but I always look at Kato's notes about going white f@cebook.com/notes/kato/white-hair/248017491938386

>> No.6421614

>>6421610
what works for one person will not always work for others, it's possible to change your color weekly and use drug store products and box dye or Sally's stuff and have your hair be perfectly fine, but that doesn't mean it will work for everyone and you should not attempt to do something like this quickly unless you know how your hair handles.
like i can go really light really fast, as long as i use a really good bleach. if i use stuff from Sally's my hair feels like shit, but if i use my Goldwell bleach i can literally do 2 processes in one night and have no issue.

today i had to do a girls hair who literally should just cut it all off and start over, i couldn't get the yellow out after leaving 3/4 purple and 1/4 blue on her for 10 minutes which on most people would make them like- purple. she had no purple tint at all. her hair is completely ruined, she still looks yellow.

i haven't read all of this but i'd like to point this out
>Go slow with the bleaching sessions. It took me 5 months to go from black to completely white, and use protein if you want to prevent your hair from breaking.

>> No.6421622

>>6421614
i finished reading it- i wanted to point out a couple more things.

>People have different hair types, so you may get different results in following what I learned from my own experiences with my thin, straight locks. So on that note, I would certainly suggest doing your own additional research to the information I share here.
this is good advice.
>The key to keeping your hair healthy-looking throughout the hell you're about to put it through is patience. Don't bleach your hair 3-4 times in a week to get it to the white stage. Your hair needs time to recover a little from each session.
this is also good.

>I bleached my hair once every 1-2 weeks at first.
this should be handled with caution.

>Bleach is bleach. It doesn't matter what powder you use, but if you have long hair, you're going to need A LOT. I buy a large tub of BW2000 powder bleach and a 30 developer. Don't use a 40 developer, that's too strong for frequent use.
this is completely false. awful advice. good bleach is a world different, BW200 is horrific. it's no wonder her hair is so short in the after photo.

>Redken Deep Fuel protein treatments
>Joico makes a great hair protein treatment too that left my hair very silky and smelling like sugar.
i love Redken and Joico. more people need to use Joico. Joico needs to make more unnatural colors.

>Don't condition your hair too much. This will actually make it weaker, but using intensive conditioning masks on the ends of your hair or wherever it feels the driest, is fine.
this is good advice.
once a week is the most i would recommend. sleeping in it is also helpful if you will only do it monthly or every other week.

>> No.6421659

Thank you all anons for the advice!. As for how well my hair takes bleaching when I went to the salon to get it dyed for my first time I dyed/bleached it a golden blonde with no ill effects, hair felt fine for months afterward.

>> No.6421666

>>6421659
so you're going to be bleaching over previously bleached hair? and did you color it back to cover up that bleaching? and was it virgin hair, as in the first time you'd ever put chemical coloring on your hair? and did you only go golden, not any sort higher?

this is all really important stuff to consider.

>> No.6421670

>>6421659
>>6421666
and on top of that do you know what bleach they used? was it even bleach, and not a high-lift color? and how long they left it on? and what volume peroxide you used?

sage for posting twice in a row ~

>> No.6421693

My hair lifts REALLY well, I was able to go from a 2 to a 6 in one session with my hair feeling as soft as ever. It's a little frightening.

>> No.6421697

>>6421693
Does it hold color as well as it can lift? Like, if you dyed it red or something?

>> No.6421700

>>6407651
I have dark brown hair so I'm pretty antsy about coloring, I wanted a bright red or a bleach/platinum blonde but I don't know if my hair can handle.

>how long is your hair?
Past my waist
A year ago...Going in tomorrow for a cut. Considering coloring...
Nope, virgin hair.
Every other day
Nexxus Sleektress and Hydra silk
RedKen Anti snap once a moth
Never
No budget
Everyday.

>> No.6421701

>>6421693
don't count on it forever. it all depends on what's on your head.

like for me- i could go from a purple red 3 to a 8 in one session, then to a 10 in another. then i lift from a natural 3 to a 10 in one sitting for my natural color to retouch my roots.

but when i went from my blonde to light brown, about a 6 or possibly 7, it took me 2 applications to get to a 10 again. and it was still a bit yellow.

>> No.6421703

>>6421538
Okay, good to know. So just any 40vol bleach will do? Regarding damage of course it's going to happen, but I was wondering how easy it would be to completely wreck your hair. If it's just a little bad then that's okay.
I actually haven't decided on color - the pink was because a few friends grabbed me and tried to put a pink stripe in my hair for a night. Complete no-go. Some friends of mine have a red from Splat, which absolutely refused to come out, so that's looking like it might be good.

>>6421551
Thanks for the info, guess I'll be looking for that now.

>> No.6421707

>>6421700
past your waist... and... virgin...
>hnnng
can you please fly here and let me do it?
no? okay....

if you have no budget for maintenance i wouldn't recommend color, if you can get a basic cocktail of like- a serum would be enough if you never blow dry or flat iron and monthly colorings you'll be find doing either. like, unless you have very poor hair due to diet or genetics.

what color is your hair?
i would say go blonde first, if you're debating between the two, because it will be very hard to go from red to blonde. but very easy to go from blonde to red.

>> No.6421711

>>6421703
what color are you trying to get to? because if it's virgin hair, i wouldn't recommend anything over 30. you only need it to be as light as the color you're trying to get, not blonde in any way. like, the orange red stage should be fine to stop at.

>> No.6421730
File: 63 KB, 500x500, tumblr_mdm56qZkzQ1qeqldro1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6421707
I'd love if you did it for me.

I meant I have no limit for budget, hao I english? Sorry, my brain farts at times.

I have really dark brown hair. the thing about blonde is I'm afraid it won't look well with my skin.

I should of brushed before taking a pic.

>> No.6421734

>>6421697

Yeah, it's garnet red right now, and that lasts for a couple months. I've had Manic Panic blues last the full six weeks.

My colourist adores my hair, said being able to go from black to bright ruby in one session was a wet dream.

>> No.6421736

>>6421734
Ughhh, I am infinitely jealous. I love dying my hair reds and auburns but my hair doesn't hold it for long.

>> No.6421742

>>6421614
yeah that's one of the main reasons I posted that note from Kato, since she points out exactly how long it took.

>> No.6421748

>>6421734

That is, right now it's a garnet 3. My colourist got it from straight up 1 black to 4 ruby red in one two hour session.

>> No.6421758

>>6421730
no problem, love! you are very dark, it would take 2 or 3 sessions to get you a platinum blonde. possibly more, but if you're entirely virgin is should be a painless process, just some awkward colors in the in-between stages.

you could go to beautiful in-between colors instead of just going every other week until you were blonde. it would also be helpful to see what you thought of yourself with a medium brown, and a light brown, before actually being blonde.

do you have any wig stores in your area? or any friends that own a blonde wig? trying those on can be helpful to decide. judging from the little bit i can see pale hair would look amazing on you. but i love pale on pale.

>> No.6421762
File: 20 KB, 200x200, tumblr_m3m51yF39u1r1g86eo5_250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6421670
No I won't be bleaching over, since because I keep my hair short, it grew out, I got it done this year in February.

No I let my hair grow out completely. Yes It was the first time I've dyed it ever. It was sort of like the picture, but less orange-y. If that's not golden blonde I'm not sure but that's what my stylist said. My hair didn't really start fading until a month and a half later (or that's when I noticed it)

They left it on for about maybe 20-30 mins. I don't even even know. I wasn't told that information

>> No.6421763

>>6421758
On that note, what kind of skin tones would you recommend AGAINST going light? I've got darker skin and have always been curious about those lighter colors, because I tend to avoid them.

>> No.6421764

>>6421748
i'm confused- that's only like, 3 levels of lift. that's not exactly like, special

>>6421736
have you tried filling your hair before coloring?

>>6421742
yeah, it's decent. the only main gripe i have is her "all bleach is the same". no, just no.

>> No.6421767

>>6421758
I've only had my hair dyed once, to a darker red (no bleaching/processing involved) about 2 years ago. What makes hair 'virgin'? Never being colored at all, or never being bleached? I'm going in for an appointment to do something in about two weeks and I was just curious about what state my hair is considered, for a color perspective. It is very very fine and hits right above my butt, and completely straight. Tends to get oily, and I have split ends as well.

>> No.6421778

>>6421703
I'm honestly not sure about other brands since the Schwarzkopf is what's available to me and what's on special at the supermarket. For me, I felt like my hair was still the same at the ginger stage but it gets a bit fried by yellow blonde. I also find that 30vol even in two applications doesn't do as much as the 40vol in one, which is weird since it shouldn't work like that, but that is the way my hair seems to be.

>>6421711
You don't have to be lighter, but I find that the colours last a lot longer and stay more true to colour - I can't go blue over the Asian ginger because it turns a weird coppery green, but purple is okay. I assume because there's more stripped off the hair so more of the dye can stick, and because there's less colour mixing.

>> No.6421780

>>6421758
I am a true virgin.
That is a good idea! Going lighter in browns before blonde, and sadly I don't have any friends or good wig shops in my area. Most just sell extensions. I'll buy one online.

>> No.6421786

>>6421763
i personally love blonde hair. i don't think i have ever seen blonde hair that i thought was like- bad with a skin tone.
i'd need to see a picture of you and the blonde you want to really be able to tell, some blondes don't suit some people but i believe there is a blonde for everyone.

>> No.6421790
File: 13 KB, 280x260, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6421780
Jesus...it's one of those nights. I don't have any friends with blonde wigs. I have friends...I swear.

>> No.6421789

>>6421762
that could very well have been a high lift color. hmm, but as long as it's all (or mostly) virgin hair again you should be okay.

if you're bent on doing it youself i suggest you order Goldwell bleach, 30 volume and 10 volume developer, and Redken EQ shades in whatever colors you like it's fine to get like- a really light blonde one. it wont make your hair any more light, it will just tone out the yellow and orange. you'll also need it's processing liquid. you'll need an applicator bottle for this, not a bowl and brush application.
then do a test stand, just pick a piece of hair from the bottom around your nape (this will generally lift the slowest) and test the 30 on it, check it every 10 minutes, maybe 20 for the first 20 minutes. but leave it on no longer than 45.
then... see how it is. if you like it, go for it. start away from the scalp, then go back through and do the scalp. it will process faster, but make new bleach for this as it will be less powerful by the time you go around again.

if not you can mix the 30 and 10 together, this will make 20 so it will be a little less harsh. if it's not enough lift... wait a week, or two, two is better and try again. if it's still not enough i would recommend waiting at least three weeks if you do 30 again, if you do 20 for the second time it would be okay to do if after 2 weeks if your hair feels nice.
i would really not recommend going 40. i only use 40 when doing high lift color and when i know for sure how hair does, like i only do it on myself and a couple of my ex's

make sure you use a good shampoo and conditioner, as well as a treatment (i like Redken a lot) and a good leave in serum. you want smoothing, strength, and moisture.
Shimmer Lights is a good purple shampoo as well, it will help eliminate yellow.

>> No.6421797

>>6421789
Thank you for all the great advice Spooky, I'll screen cap this for when I get get the materials

>> No.6421799

>>6421767
never being colored, permed, relaxed, bleached, lightened in any way, not overly damaged due to sun exposure, wind, even improper shampoos and conditioners can make your hair damaged and therefore no longer "virgin" hair.

if it's two years old you'll have like, what? ~12~ inches of virgin hair? about 6 inches a year, so you should be fine. unless you use head and shoulders. i legit have turned people away because they've used it so long and i don't want to be responsible for what happens until they clean their scalp.

get the split ends cut off. you can't fix them.

>>6421780
hope it works out for you!
what a salon should do is put on a semi which will fade in 4-6 weeks, so you can get it lightened about once a month and it wont be too much extra damage. most semi's are filled with goodness for your hair as well, because they're generally used on lighter hair colors.

>> No.6421804

>>6421797
if you can have someone else apply it, like even if they're slow it's better than doing it yourself. if they take to long to put it on you can take a wet towel and wipe off the bleach on the side that's already to the stage you want. to check for hair color being at the stage you want take a wet towel and wipe off the bleach, spread out the hair and look at it in the towel. it will look more pale blonde when the bleach is on it, and then look very yellow when it's all rinsed out and wet. but it looks less yellow when dry.

good luck, find me on tumblr if you need me.

>> No.6421807
File: 228 KB, 322x336, skin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6421786
Here's a (poorly lighted, sorry) picture of my skin. I've always gone for reds and blacks when I dye my hair because I feel like any blondes would be atrocious with my skin tone, so I've barely even considered it before. What would even look good? I'm fairly light right now because it's winter, but when summer comes I tan very easily.

>> No.6421813

>>6421807
i love pale blonde hair with pale skin. it's like my ultimate fantasy. i think it looks so- like just intense. even more so than really dark hair with really light skin.

and tan and blonde always looks good. i personally would go pale blonde with you, like very ash, i think gold would make it more obvious that you are pale instead of warming you up since you are very olive.

>> No.6421818

>>6421804
Would you mind giving us your tumblr? I posted this >>6412732 earlier and was hoping for some advice. I know it's kind of silly but anything would help, but I figure it may be a lot and maybe it would be better to use tumblr fanmail than post on a thread with so many other posts.

Of course if it's too ridiculous and complicated and think I should aim lower, that's alright too!

>> No.6421832

>>6421818
i want to but i don't know what to do
i keep posting contact info for outside of 4chan but people keep fucking reporting me and i keep getting 1 day bans

i'll give you advice in a second ~

>> No.6421848
File: 438 KB, 1280x960, 2012-06-01 17.22.35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im seeing a lot of people who had trouble with hair dye..Ive never stained a tub or a towel. Ive done just about every color too.
For most jobs Ive been applying to, I cant dye my hair which sucks because I love to and have been doing it for a long time now.
Pic related, me about 2 months ago. I tried to cover up the pink and dye it brown but now its brown with pink tips

>> No.6421851

>>6412732
you should like you should be fine with that, when color fades it doesn't mean it's gone. it's still colored. but if it was only one full coloring and a few highlights it's okay.
i would switch to a better shampoo and conditioner, Paul Mitchell and Redken make beautiful hair care products. so does Bed Head, TIGI

the way omberas (how the fuck do you spell that?) those fade things are achieved are by literally like-
back combing your whole head and applying the bleach only to the not teased part. this will give you a super uneven grown out look. then you go back and put color on the rest. or before. it's up the stylist.
they're quite tricky to do nicely though, so for sure have it done professionally.

ask them for product recommendations, without feeling hair all i can really recommend is a basic cocktail which while it sounds nice if i list out products it's all the same thing. serums, mousse, styling liquid. it's... yeah. uhm, ask them.

but always use a heat protect spray when you flat iron or blow dry or any heat

i have to go get my BF from work and then i'm going to bed (waking up at 7 fucking AM tomorrow) so good night everyone.
<3

>> No.6421870

>>6421711
I was thinking of red since a friend has it on hand, which would mean I only need an orangish color? I assume if I wanted blue or any light color I'd need to bleach the hell out of it.

While you're here, are Splat and Manic Panic good brands for dye?

Thanks!

>> No.6421874

Is there any way to wash out the color in my hair without destroying it? I've bleached most of my bottom hair twice. I'm trying to wait until most of the hair washes out since my hair is mainly two colors (blue and teal since the blue combined with the blonde I guess) but it's taking forever. My main error was dyeing my hair when my bottom hair was still holding a lot of the color. Halp? I don't want to bleach a third time.

>> No.6421894

>>6421848
apply to IKEA, tattoos, piercings, and weird hair is not an issue there. They hired me with blue hair,

>> No.6421899

>>6421874
I heard that head and shoulders is good to use but I would look it up first because I have never tried it

>> No.6421979

If I could get some advice on my hair it would be great...
So I have about middle of boob length reddish/brown hair. I'm trying to grow it out and I'm having a real issue with it being super oily here lately. I know I don't use the best shampoo and conditioner, but I really don't know what to get that IS good. My hair used to be super thick but now it has thinned out (thank you thyroid) and I have a lot of baby hairs that stick up. So I have this awful combination of frizzy and oily.
The products I'm using now are: Organix coconut something shampoo and Pantene conditioner for long hair/strength (sorry I forgot the actual names) and Moroccan argan oil.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

>> No.6421992
File: 94 KB, 497x625, red.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6421874
Wash with baking soda paste - the alkalinity will help strip it out

>>6421870
No experience with Splat but Manic Panic has been pretty average for me (washes out really quickly), although their amplified colours are better than their normal ones. I've only personally tried their blues though, some people swear by their reds. I much prefer Special Effects and I've tried Candy Apple Red which was amazingly bright, almost pinky, and stopped leaking colour after three washes (which is when this photo was taken). I also had Blue Velvet which was a pretty cool purply-blue and dark enough to go over gingery Asian although of course it stayed for far less time over that compared to when it was more bleached. Stay away from Blue Haired Freak though, it's only worth it as a toner or if you have bleached-to-white hair.

>> No.6422025

I started on the no shampoo method a month ago and I know there's supposed to be an adjustment period, but I'm curious: my scalp is rather flaky for the first time, and the 6 or so inches of hair from my scalp heading down is silky and shiny, but then near the bottom it just feels dry and split to hell and strawlike. My scalp and roots aren't constantly greasy anymore which is a bonus since I usually have really greasy hair, but my mother is always telling me it looks greasy as hell (which she only started saying about a week ago when she found out I stopped using shampoo. She also says my hair smells nasty, when in reality it just smells like... clean hair, instead of strawberry or lavender.) It's aggravating as shit, my mom's solution to my hair always being greasy when I used shampoo was to wash twice daily and rotate shampoo brands every few days.

>> No.6422048

>>6422025
Is it actually split? If so there's no fix for it apart from cutting it off.

The other things you need to take into account are things like how often you're washing. Are you doing baking soda/vinegar or just water? If you're washing too often it could be drying out your scalp and the ends of your hair, so maybe wash it less or dilute your solution more. People also use egg as a deep conditioning treatment which might help with your hair's appearance. If you're worried about smell you could always try an oil treatment instead as they generally smell fantastic even after they've been washed out.

>> No.6422054

>>6422048

It seems to be a combo of split ends and being really dry and strawlike. I wash every other day, using both baking soda/water mixture and vinegar/water mixture.

>> No.6422060

>>6422054

I should also mention my hair'sabout a foot and a half long, and the dry strawy texture seems to only be on the bottom 8 inches of it.

>> No.6422089

>>6422054
>>6422060
On a blog post I read about going no shampoo, the girl only washed her hair with the baking soda/water method once a week. Maybe you are doing it too much, going no shampoo is all about the oils in your hair coming back, so doing it every other day sounds counterproductive.

>> No.6422341

>>6422054
I would definitely say that's WAY too often. Once or twice per week is what I've heard recommended, especially for hair your length. Even though you're not using shampoo, the baking soda is quite drying and what's probably happening is that you're stripping out the oils too much and your ends are suffering for it. I'd get a trim of the ends and stop washing it as often, also try coconut oil/egg/something as a deep conditioner to help it become less dry.

>> No.6422357

If I put olive oil on the tips of my hair as a conditioner will it change anything? I have wavy hair.

>> No.6422395
File: 40 KB, 612x610, pinkpinkpink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am so jealous of that hair dye/cut right now

>> No.6422402
File: 12 KB, 300x300, 1249592_1295909345446.6res_300_300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6422395

The roots though...

>> No.6422405

>>6422402
I think that kinds of makes the look

>> No.6422404
File: 176 KB, 900x1200, 1273795994127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6419490
I've wanted hair like that ever since I was a kid. So jealous.
>>6411389
pic related

>> No.6422411

>>6422404
Sure is getting scene in here.

>> No.6422414

>>6407702
>>6408679
>>6411393
>>6411389
Oh, only just now?

>> No.6422425

>>6422402
Roots have become a thing. Not in that case though, it just looks shit.

>> No.6424547

>>6422425
How are roots a thing?

>> No.6424559

>>6422395
>>6422402
>>6422405
>>6422425
i don't think the roots look too awful. but i like "lived in" hair. if they were like half that length it would look nicer. she should get a touch up ~soon~

>>6424547
"lived in" is very much in style right now. hair that looks like you're about half way between appointments and not fresh out of a salon is like- the in thing.

>>6422357
oil will weight your hair down?
not sure if olive oil has small enough molecules to actually penetrate your hair shaft though, make the cuticle lay a bit flatter/smoother sure but actually "help" your hair- most likely not.

>>6422054
the point of going no-poo is getting it to where you only use a "wash" mixture like once a week, twice a month is ideal though from what i hear.

>> No.6424576

Any nice blue hair dyes you guys could recommend?

>> No.6424582

>>6424576
Joico, Pravana, Ink Works are all great for professional lines...

there is another line that a friend of mine recommended but i can't think of the name of it. it's something like, drug store. but she loves it, it stays like 6 weeks for her. it might be Splat, but i can't for sure remember.

>> No.6424595

>>6424576
I'm >>6421538, this is all from personal experience

Dark purply blue: Blue Velvet by Special Effects
Dark blue-blue: Midnight Blue by Directions, After Midnight Blue Amplified by Manic Panic is okay in a pinch but don't use their regular dye

Avoid: Blue Haired Freak by Special Effects, Fudge, Stargazer

>> No.6424646

>>6421979
Can I please get some advice?

>> No.6424667

>>6421979
Paul Mitchell Moisture or Smoothing would be very nice for you. maybe Strength if you get oily but need help with like breakage (which causes frizzy)

you can also get a dry shampoo, TIGI makes one, Got2B makes one, Tressume (sp?) makes one, there are tons and it's not a product you have to worry about being damaging since it goes on dry hair and will just be washed off.

Paul Mitchell makes this line called Awapuhi and there is a styling treatment oil for it that is amazing put it in on wet hair and it will smooth your out so well. even on dry hair, it wont make you look too oily, just smooth.

>> No.6424674

>>6424667
Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to look into the Paul Mitchell

>> No.6424682

>>6424674
i really like Paul Mitchell. they have a great holiday set out right now that (most) come with shampoo, conditioner, and a product that goes with the line. the color line doesn't come with a product. i don't know if any others don't have a product with them.

>> No.6430346

I really don't want to go get my hair bleached multiple times but the hair dresser said it might take up to 3 times to get my hair from brown to blonde. Should I just ask her to get it as blonde as possible in one session and hope for the best? I can't afford multiple times (and I want to apply my new color before Thanksgiving).

>> No.6431168

>>6424595
oh damn, I just ordered blue haired freak because I wanted a bright light blue. What's wrong with blue haired freak?

>> No.6431207

>>6424576
Scruples! They have a brand called Urban shock. Amazing for unnatural colours. get the blue and then depending on what shade you want add the lightener into it (which is basically conditioner) It starts out the darkest then you gradually make it lighter :)

Spooky you are my hero right now haha, just read all your replies. I'm a third year in australia, marry me? lol

>> No.6431220

>>6409488
that sounds absolutely disgusting

>> No.6431251
File: 25 KB, 446x297, tumblr_ls95noe2hk1r3zvqmo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay. I need help.

So ever since forever I have been dying to dye my hair red. My only dilemma is that I'm asian and I have tan skin. Would it still look good?

I'm thinking this kind of red.

>> No.6431254

>>6431251
Yup I think it will; as long as its not a neon red and more of a darker red with some lowlights I think youll look great. (source: my bf's sister is hispanic, from Argentina, she dyes her hair red, looks super cute )

>> No.6431979

So I'm looking at some joico products but I'm not sure what to get. Is the K-PAK RevitaLuxe good?
I don't have usually dry or greasy hair but my hair is damaged. My hair type is course but I don't have thick hair. Like my strands are thick but over all I don't have a lot of them.
My hair also takes longer than usual to grow it seems. So I'm not sure what joico products, or products in general, to get.
I used to use Aveda invati system but I recently dyed my bangs and face frame blue so now I use a purple shampoo and Ion color defense sealer.

tldr: Whats a good product to repair hair?

>> No.6432002
File: 754 KB, 1012x600, red hair.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6431251

>> No.6432009
File: 373 KB, 758x600, red hair 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6431251
personally, i think it looks trashy as fuck on tan skinned girls

but if that's what you're going for, then by all means dye it red

>> No.6432024

>>6431979
oh also, whats the best curler, straightener, and dryer to use that won't damage your hair a lot or maybe ones that could help it?

>> No.6432033
File: 92 KB, 400x483, hairdurr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since I can't dye my hair all these delicious colors anymore because of work, normally I dye my hair a light reddish auburn or light brown. I've been kicking around the idea of going back to blonde like when I was a wee babby, just for something different.

My natural color used to be blonde but is now a muddy ash brown, very bland and flat. This is a somewhat-recent picture (August) showing my typical dye color and the brown roots growing in up top. My hair is longer now, with grown-out bangs and a side part. Would blonde suit me, or should I stick with the darker colors? Should I worry about stripping the dye out first, or would I be okay going straight to bleach?

Please excuse the giant cockmongler grin- it was kind of hard to find a recent photo from my facebook that wasn't in cosplay, haha.

>> No.6432038

>how long is your hair?
3 fingers above my shoulder, I'm growing out a pixie cut
4 weeks ago
I just dyed it a rusty brown
I don't use shampoo only conditioner (shampoo dries my hair out) every other day
The horse shampoo, I can't recall its name
Heat protector and sea salt
I curl my hair everyday, unless i'm not going out
100$ a month
Maybe about 30min every morning, and maybe 2hours every week in upkeep (aka. deep conditioning, and playing with it)

>> No.6432071

>>6432033
I think blond would suit you nicely. Maybe a light ash color? Or perhaps even a strawberry blond.

>> No.6432165

>>6432033
you have nice blue eyes, I would bring them out with a darker chocolate brown colour
or really any "rich" colour

>> No.6432169
File: 444 KB, 400x571, HAIRINSPO1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm trying to get my fucking life together, might as well get some advice on how to get good hair to match it too. My hair is my colour right now, which is like... a darker mousey brown? Except for the tips that are STILL a blackish brown from when I dyed it two fucking years ago. What the fuck. I have nordic hair and I have the the palest skin that has ever paled (I have never in my life met anyone paler than me. I'm serious.) so I have no idea what looks good on me. Or how hair works in general. I'm scared to death of it falling off, so I have never really dared doing much, haha. Ever since I saw this picture I've been wanting something like it, but it seems so tedious and how do I even do that shit?

>how long is your hair?
Almost down to armpits now
In august last year, I threw a fit and cut my own hair using paper scissors and razors. That might have been bad for it. Oops. At least it looked acceptable after I washed it...
it's been dyed black once, and a bit darker brown like twice, I think?
3-4 times a week maybe?
Sunsilk volume shampoo thing, because it's so fucking flat. I don't even condition my hair because I suck?
Nothing.
a few times a year, maybe?
Oh wow, no idea.
>how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
My biggest dream is to have magic anime hair that styles itself. So well. As little as possible? As much as it's worth?

>> No.6432171
File: 54 KB, 375x500, hair-color-trend-0509-5-lg-53513200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been wanting to do the split color dye thing. My hair is pretty much exactly like this; very dark brown with a hint of reddish tone. What color should I go with for the dyes half? I'm not wanting to do any sort of blonde.

>> No.6432181 [DELETED] 
File: 81 KB, 459x612, DSCN1797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how long is your hair?
Shoulder length
A month ago.
has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
It's box 'dyed' now. I've used Color corrector on it before.
Was every other day; rinse and condition every day
Right now, Pantene. It's some formula for thinner hair.
Aussie Volume hairspray, every now and then. Herbal Essence heat protection on the few times I blow dry my hair
Very few. I curl using foam curlers.
$50-60 dollars
30 minutes to an hour on daily; and I'm good on any amount for the other two.

I would love to grow my hair longer and for it to be stronger.

>> No.6432182

>>6432169
GO TO A PROFESSIONAL HAIRSTYLIST
your hair sounds like a mess

also
>armpit length
this just make me think of unstyled frumpy hippy hair

>> No.6432184
File: 81 KB, 459x612, DSCN1797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how long is your hair?
>Shoulder length
>A month ago.
>It's box 'dyed' now. I've used Color corrector on it before.
>Was every other day; rinse and condition every day
>Right now, Pantene. It's some formula for thinner hair.
>Aussie Volume hairspray, every now and then. Herbal Essence heat protection on the few times I blow dry my hair
>Very little. I curl using foam curlers.
>$50-60 dollars
>30 minutes to an hour on daily; and I'm good on any amount for the other two.

I would love to grow my hair longer and for it to be stronger.

>> No.6432812

>>6407651
Okay, here goes!!!

>How long is your hair?
My hair is down to my chest.

>When was your hair last cut?
Very, very recently, less than two weeks ago.

>That long question about colouring and straightening hair etc.
I dyed the tips of it once, and I straighten it very often with, well, a straightener?

>How often do you wash and condition?
Every day.

>What do you put in your hair product-wise?
Conditioner, shampoo, obviously. Maybe the occasional hairspray?

>How often do you blow dry, flat iron, curl, etc.?
I straighten it basically every day, though I tend to leave it curly two or three times a week.

>What's your budget for hair products, and maintenance?
Nothing really expensive? Like, within reason, so, no twenty dollar hair gel.

>How much time are you willing to devote to your hair?
As much as I need to!!!

>> No.6432848
File: 68 KB, 188x204, pfffhthtbthth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> how long is your hair?
An inch past my shoulders when straight, under my chin when left normal.
> when was your last hair cut?
About.. Three months ago for length. As it grows I keep the layers proportionate. (Hack at it with a pair of scissors.)
> has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
It's dyed black at the moment. Hasn't been so much as straightened in the past two years, though (Which accounts for the entirety of the hair I have right now. Shit grows quickly.)
> how often do you wash and condition your hair?
Every other day.
> what are you using to wash and condition your hair?
Thursday Plantation tea-tree oil shampoo and pure argan oil.
> what do you put in your hair now product wise?
Nothin'.
> how often do you blow dry, flat iron, curl, etc?
Never.
> what's your budget for hair products, and maintenance?
Eh. I go through a lot of very cheap hairbands quickly.
> and lastly - how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
VERY LITTLE, SIR.

My hair is bitchin'. Like an extra from Brave.

>> No.6432894
File: 654 KB, 944x832, hair collage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My current hair below, just took photo in crap library lighting with webcam, it's a bit brighter in person.

Did purple and first 2 bleachings at home. I have super tough and thick hair, when I use regular dye I have to leave on twice as long and use twice as much dye. Hence I used vol 40 bleach (on a super greasy scalp, like didn't wash for a week and a half) for two consecutive bleachings and purple dye all in the same day. Wouldn't recommend this for anybody else, the only reason my hair isn't fried and falling out is because I have genetically coarse hair.

The purple eventually washed and faded, leaving me with dirty blonde and purple understreaks, went to a salon and got another bleaching plus roots. This time with vol 30. I highly recommend this for anybody wishing to dye their hair, go get a professional bleaching and you can do the color at home. Regular salons usually have no idea about fantasy colors or harajuku type gradient dyeing. The bleaching was excellent and super even, sadly they fucked up the coloring and used all of my colored dye. Wanted to go for an ash/pink combo, like Sheryl from Macross but darker, now I'm stuck with this desaturated rainbow.

At least they were dumb and didn't heat set it (not dye btw, it was a colored hair manicure) so the colors will wash out soon and I can do it myself properly. My hair's not fried at all, a little stretchy and some breakage on the ends, but nothing exceptionally bad like Penus. Also helps that I don't wash more than twice a week, and avidly deep condition once a week. Considering getting my hands on some coconut oil and trying that out.

>> No.6432936
File: 212 KB, 480x640, tumblr_mdthi0vuJ21r2lvu9o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to even out my hair, and grow out my undercut, but I have no idea how to go about that.
how long is your hair?
>See picture.
>Last december. It was an angled bob but the angle was very severe, hence the uneven hair.
>Colored about every 6 weeks, to black. I have naturally light brown hair.
>Every other day or every 2 days.
>Aussie shampoo, sometimes aussie conditioner, but I mostly use coconut oil to condition.
>Nothing.
>Never. My hair is stick straight. I spend very little time on it.
>0 dollars lol, but obviously I could make room for product if I needed it.
>Honestly, the most time I spend on my hair in the morning is 5 minutes tops. I want something easy.
p.s. hair is wet in the picture, it's not as ratty as it looks.

>> No.6433015
File: 12 KB, 351x265, spiderdog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i actually have a question for you guys that know a lot about hair... i recently had to cut off my hair because of over processing it. it was literally snapping off. my hair follicles are naturally very thick, and i THINK my hair is in better shape now, but it's still seems to be falling out a lot and breaking easier than i remember. i really dont' want to cut it any shorter, and i miss my hair before! it was to my waist already before i had to cut it to chin length.

what can i do to make my hair stronger? and is getting micro-loop hair extensions a bad idea for my hair now?

pic related: my approximate hair length now. shit dye job i did to myself back in high school.

>> No.6433081
File: 286 KB, 320x424, tumblr_m1goy5Pp4z1rs9mm1o1_400.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how long is your hair?
A little longer than shoulder length, I'm trying to grow it out after having it short for so long.
It's been a very long time, I've been cutting my hair myself for years and haven't cut it for a few months now
>has it ever been colored? chemically straightened? chemically curled?
I've colored it for a few years between blue and most recently(July?) red/pink with shitty drugstore dye, but it works so I can't complain. I'm kind of interested in Manic Panic though because it lasts longer?
Every other day or so, mostly because it gets too dry if I wash it too much.
VO5 Shampoo/Conditioner until I can find a product that fits better. Would Garnier be a yay or nay?
Garnier leave-in conditioner and Organic Root Stimulator Sheen Spray.
I usually blow dry every other day if I don't have enough time to air dry, and I flat iron almost every day.
I don't have a lot of funds for it but I would like to find some healthy products for my hair if possible.
>how much time are you willing to devote to your hair every day, week, and month?
I put a good amount of time into it already, so I guess a lot!

>> No.6433122
File: 379 KB, 960x1280, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dyed my hair about 2 weeks ago, I plan to redo it this weekend as it's started to fade and show roots but I've been really pleased with the color. I had to bleach it a few times to get it to ash blonde and then I used special effects fishbowl

>> No.6433273
File: 48 KB, 420x300, Khloe_Kardashian_red_hairstyle_6115_13098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I've been told I look like Khloe Kardashian -In height, weight (fatty), skintone, but my natural hair color is more of an ash-brown.

Do you think I could go more of a deeper red than this?
Do any of you think the red looks good on her in the first place?

>> No.6433299

>>6407651
>how long is your hair?
Just below my chest
Oh gosh.. about a year ago I think, getting it cut in a week or two though
yes no no yes
Dyed from brown to black and bleached the bottom layer of my hair, which fried it ;_;
Wash once a day, condition every other day
I use aussie shampoo and conditioner, moist and smooth respectively
Nothing
I just blow dry it on days I work, so 5-6 times a week. Rarely straighten/curl it though
20-40$ a month I guess
enough to make it not look like shit

my hair is terribly frizzy, but not in the afro way. in the crazy amount of flyaways way. what are some products to help get rid of this, or just lessen it?

>> No.6433326

>mfw everyone and their mother with pretty dyed hair seems to have wavy/straight hair

I wish I could dye my hair and keep it straight without burning it all to hell.

>> No.6433339

This isn't necessarily hair color related but I hope it's not a problem asking here since it's about hair still...I'm looking to buy some extensions again but I was wondering are there some brands where the wefts are thicker? Last time I bought some from Sally's and ended up needing 2 packs.

Also any tips would be great!

>> No.6433450

>how long is your hair?
About an inch past my collarbone

>when was your last hair cut
Last Thursday :D First salon cut I've had in two years

Was dyed black at the salon. Prior to that about 3-5 Pharmacy black dye ktis, and one bleach I don't talk about.

E'ry other day, unless I think it's not too oily.

Some Garnier "Clean" anti-damaging shampoo 2 in 1.

A Heat protecting spray and joice foaming voluming...foam

Blow dry everytime I wash, straighten everyday, never curl

I could do about $50 for shampoo+conditioner+product

>how much time are you willing to devote...
45 minutes for daily prep, a few hours for hair treatments.

Anywho, my situation was my hair used to be past my boobs, but with my recent cut I let him cut it much shorter to get my really damaged ends off. It feels a lot softer, but regularly it feels course and itchy (which is super not cool).

So:
1. What should I use to keep my hair softer and healthy?
2. If I dye black outside of the salon, what can I use to be least damaging? CVS stuff? Sally's? It's kind of pricey to get my roots done ($40 :/)

>> No.6433556

Spooky or any one else hanging around, care to advise me?

>how long is your hair?
Past my butt.
Don't as me that question. You will not like the answer.
Nah. Too lazy for the upkeep
Three times a week.
Rusk Purify shampoo (Although this week I'm using some sort of generic dandruff shampoo) and Tresseme Moisture Rich conditioner.
Nothing except for some Redkin argan oil stuff I borrow from my roommate for my ends.
I banished heat tools like...6 years ago although I think I straightened my hair for a band concert 2 years ago.
Depends on if I can buy in bulk or not. Due to the length and thickness of my hair I use quite a bit of everything so things get expensive. But I'm willing to spend a bit to keep my hair nice.
I can devote a decent amount of time for my hair, except during finals.

Any treatments, products, ect. are welcome. I'm home for Thanksgiving which means I have my car back so I can go shopping.

>> No.6434305

bump

>> No.6435073

>>6433339
Friendly bump!

>> No.6435177

Ok so I just got the Joico K-PAK RevitaLuxe. Now, it doesn't say anything about using a deep conditioner after it, but should I anyways?
I was reading that after a protein treatment you should apply a moisturizing treatment. But is K-PAK RevitaLuxe strictly a protein treatment?
Does it need to be followed by a moisturizing treatment? What would give the best results? Halp meh plz..

>> No.6435215
File: 167 KB, 590x572, X6LkU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have extremely fine hair. I have been trying to curl it, but the heat doesn't seem to want to hold a curl. I've tried mousse and non-aerosol hairsprays, but they don't seem to help. Can anyone recommend some good hair products that will help hold a curl but not destroy my hair?

I really don't want to have to wear a wig for my lolita outfits.

>> No.6435250

Okay, I could really use help with this hair and maybe some cute hairstyles? Not hairCUTS, which is most of what I see when I search terms like those. Hair maintenance help would be really appreciated:

>how long is your hair?
Past the shoulder, around the ribcage area. Usually it's longer and it tends to grow fast. I couldn't maintain a pixie cut a few years ago because I'd be dropping by my (admittedly really cheap and great) hair place every few weeks and I suck with a pair of scissors.

September after a little over a year without a cut. Layers.

>has it ever been colored?
Red streaks when I was twelve.

>chemically straightened?
No, it's mostly straight on its own with a sort of weak wave? Spanish straight, not asian straight

>chemically curled?
Once, jr. high graduation. I'm 24 now.

>chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
Um, yes sort of. The bleached part of those aforementioned streaks.

Every other day.

Pantene shampoo, Garnier conditioner. Mostly because they're huge and cheap at BJ's.

Nothing, actually.

I've started blow drying when I wash, just because it's getting so cold and I get no heat in this apartment. So every 2 days.

I'm willing to pay a little more for nicer hair.

Not too much. I've got a long trip to work and I'd like to relax and not have to focus on hair too much before I go

>> No.6435253

>>6435250
Forgot to mention, one of my problems with it is that it's sort of limp and thin and gets greasy easily. I don't want huge volume, just...nicer hair

>> No.6435257

Thin hair, dry scalp. Any good head and shoulder alternatives?

>> No.6435261
File: 324 KB, 371x615, Screen Shot 2012-11-21 at 8.08.27 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how long is your hair?
Asymmetrical; ear length on my left and chin length on my right
Yesterday, my right side hadn't been trimmed in a while and took a beating from my last dye job so I had to chop off quite a bit.
Regularly, but it's never given me problems until recently.
>straightened? chemically curled? chemically lightened (including products like Sun In and just using lemon juice to lighten)?
Nope, just bleached for coloring.
Sometimes every day, sometimes I get lazy and skip a few days.
Herbal Essences and Generic (Paul Mitchell knock-off)
I color my hair with Manic Panic because I like how it doesn't fry my hair.
I've started straightening my hair less, but frequently.
I try not to think about it.
I only have to spend about an hour dyeing it when I have to, and it only takes a few minutes to style every morning.

>> No.6435740

>>6435215
I have this problem too. Nothing would work- The best I could get is after I didn't wash my hair (or not conditioning it if I did) and put mousse in and then kept the curl against my scalp in a bobby pin while doing the rest. Then after taking them all down, I sprayed liberal amounts of hairspray. This on my virgin hair only would at most last half a day, so I only used it for short events.

Not surprisingly, I found that the slight damage from dying it actually helps my hair curl better than my virgin hair. Curling with heat, while still the only way I can get a curl, does damage it more, so I try to do straight or up styles for lolita and save curling for once-a-month special occasion.

>> No.6436931
File: 716 KB, 2048x1536, Picture 32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've had my hair long for ages, and I don't know what kind of shorter cut that would suit my face.

Any ideas?

>> No.6437714

bump

>> No.6437721

i'll be here like all night, feel free to send me asks. or
>>
back to your post if you're still around.

>> No.6437742

>>6436931
Do you have an idea what hairstyle would fit me?

>> No.6437750

>>6437742
i think the length on you is good right now, you have a roundish face so long hair with not a lot of volume on the sides will make it look longer and slimmer.

but bang wise i think a really sharp angular side swept bang will also add to this lengthening illusion. make sure you stress harsh bangs, you don't want a soft feathered cut.

>> No.6437755

>>6437750
I actually want to cut a bit off the lenght, I hate that it tangles up so quickly. But I am afraid that it get's cut to much and it wouldn't fit me.

>> No.6437778

>>6437755
instead of cutting a lot of length get a lot of layers and only take the actual length up half an inch or an inch.
the layering will take off a lot of dead hair without making it look shorter.

also, most salons have a $5-$25 deep conditioner they can so as well, which should help.

>> No.6437784

>>6437778
Thanks allot.

>> No.6437786

>>6437784
good luck ~

>> No.6437792

>>6437721

>>6433556
I'm still about. Please and thank you~

>> No.6437796

>>6437792
switch to all professional things. Rusk is great, and since it's the holiday you can buy 2-3 holiday sets for the price of 1 normal set of shampoo and conditioner depending on the line.

i would recommend getting a hair cut though, about every 6 months. layers will make it easier to manage too, if you find the hair is hard to deal with. if not- don't bother with it.

it's a 10 makes a great conditioner treatment, you can do that once a week or so as well.

but other than that you're golden ~

>> No.6437873

>>6437796
Ohh I had forgotten about holiday sets, thanks! I'll try and get a trim after finals, I'd rather not trust my hair to the salons around camps.

Out of curiosity, what qualifies as professional vs. drugstore? I'm a bit of a dunce as far as that sort of thing goes.

>> No.6437885

>>6437873
quality. professional brands use more expensive materials- such as keratin from sheep fur instead of like- other proteins. sheep keratin is the closest match to human keratin as far as i'm aware, and so it's better for your hair.

same for like, moisturizers. cholesterol is a moisturizer, yes, but it can only coat your hair shaft. it cannot penetrate the cuticle and therefore it will just wash off when you rinse it instead of staying in your hair.

as well, cheap sulfates are awful for your hair. while sulfate free, or modified sulfates are not as harsh and drying.

water content is a big part, you'll buy a huge thing of some drug store product and your hair wont feel clean or moisturized until you use like a full hand full. but with professional lines you'll use the size of a quarter and feel like it's too much at times.

and finally- silicone. cheat shampoos and conditioners will put so much silicone in their products as a filler. it makes your hair soft by coating it in silicone which doesn't rinse off. but it actually creates a tomb in which your hair will die in.

>> No.6437929

>>6432169
Is me, and wow I forgot I even posted this and just like >>6432182 says, it is a mess. I know nothing. And I don't know if I even can go meet with a pro rn, due to personal reasons. Sigh.

>> No.6437975

>>6437885

Gotcha, thanks for the write up. Now to read the ingredients and not get distracted by the pretty bottles or by what smells good.

>> No.6437983

>>6437929
to do a coloring like that you should go to a professional. it's really really hard. my friend at school- bless her- fucked up doing it so badly. like, it looks nothing like what she wanted. i don't understand how she could do it that poorly.
not that it looks bad, it looks fine, just more of an under color than a fade out.

to fix your hair ~
start with a trim, at least an inch. you should use a conditioner, Paul Mitchell Body is quite nice. it really adds volume. they also have a root lifter that you spray on your scalp and rub and literally your hair will stand up. add a blow dry to it and you should be good to go for the day.

and magic styles itself hair is not possible unless you're born with it. sorry
but you can get a cut that will be "wash and wear" hair.

>> No.6437985

>>6437975
honestly, i don't know shit about what's in shampoo and conditioner.
mainly, if it says "cone" at the end of a word stay away from it.

>> No.6438035
File: 201 KB, 1452x1936, sorta purple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HELP. I went to a salon to get my hair bleached and she ended up wanting to do my purple hair...and this is what I got.

I went from dark brown to what it looks like in this pic. I wanted actual purple. Any ideas of what I can do to improve it? I should go darker, right??

>> No.6438043

>>6438035
seems like it only took where it had the most heat. Joico and Pravana are my two favorite unnatural color brands, you are light enough to go light purple or dark purple easily.

to do light purple, mix like a spot and i mean a TINY spot of purple color with conditioner- or if you use Joico you can mix with clear- and apply to your whole head. leave it on as long as you want, as long as you can, this is not something you mix with a developer so it does not really penetrate the hair, it just stains your hair. so the longer you leave it on the longer it will stay.

dark purple just put it on.

>> No.6438092

>>6438043
Thanks!! I have Pravana, I'll use that. I hope that it will give me highlights because of the difference in colors I'm starting with.

>> No.6438093

>>6438092
it should ~ unless you go too dark. then it will just cover everything.

>> No.6438858

>>6431168
>>6432024
>>6435177
>>6431979
I'm still here, though I fear I said that too late. Ah well.

>> No.6438900
File: 181 KB, 1024x768, IMG-20121103-00436.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I cut off my long bouncy curly hair recently. Do I regret it? All day every day. Hair dye: Revlon colorsilk, heh. It's ammonia free after all. I'm going to dye it dark purple soon.

>> No.6440553

>>6438093
How long should I leave it in for? I left it in for like 20 minutes and the dye still didn't seem to take.

>> No.6440575

>>6438900

You look dirty

And not sexy dirty, but dirty dirty

>> No.6440579

>>6440553
were you going for light or dark purple?

if it's light, it might be because you used too little color and too much conditioner. if it's dark then it might be your hair is just over processed. conditioning treatments twice a week for 2 weeks and only get your hair wet with cold water and you should be good to go.

>> No.6440615

>>6440553
Unusually coloured dyes are best left on overnight, I leave mine for a minimum of four hours. They're conditioner based so it can't cause any damage.

They also wont take if your hair has conditioner on it, wet or residual after drying. Wash your hair, let it dry (wont take on wet hair either) and then add the dye.

>> No.6440622

>>6440615
>They're conditioner based
>They also wont take if your hair has conditioner on it

sometimes /cgl/ cracks me up with hair advice.

>> No.6440669

>>6440622
They wont take unless they're mixed in well. Hair dye is pigment is suspended in a liquid, if you don't mix them then the first layer of conditioner will act as a barrier stopping the pigment molecules from coming into contact with the hair. Which, you know, they have to do in order to stain it. This is also why diluting it with conditioner works, because you're not letting as much pigment get to the hair.

>> No.6440680

>>6440669
idk how to respond to that
just
yup
i guess
i mean that's how it works
kind of obvious it has to be mixed well

>> No.6440683
File: 28 KB, 279x312, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm curious, I've been dying my hair for so long now that I forgot what my natur color is.
I let my roots grow out this month so I am wondering what color do you think I am?

>> No.6440702

>>6440680
If you already knew that's how it works why did you fail to grasp that having conditioner on your hair will stop dye from taking?

Seriously. Am I being trolled or are you legitimately this stupid.

>> No.6440730

>>6440702
but you just said yourself
properly mixed conditioner and hair color are used to achieve a diluted look
are we just having a miscommunication here?

>>6440683
because of the over yellow tint to the picture from your hair color as well as it being the top of your head and not an under layer i can't really determine your natural level.
as well, hair looks darker when next to light hair than it actually would be when just looking at it alone due to contrast.

so, not sure.

>> No.6440748

>>6440730
Im sorry i cant get a better pic but thank you for trying i appreciate it

>> No.6440765

>>6440730
Probably. In my original post I was talking about residual conditioner, (and other styling products, whatever) left on the hair after washing/styling, not the conditioner used to dilute the dye.

If she's trying to dye it after coming back from the hairdressers presumably it's full of product etc which is going to block the dye.

>> No.6440777

>>6440683
I would say a medium blonde

>> No.6440864

>>6440579
>>6440615

I was going for a light purple so yeah, it might be that I have too much conditioner...I guess I'll try the overnight idea and see how my hair looks after that!

>> No.6441909

Well what I ended up doing is:

bleach, followed by the joico revitaluxe thing, followed by k-pak conditioner. Now (the next day) I just applied blue haired freak mixed with some white conditioner.
I'll let you know how that all turns out.

>> No.6441910

>>6440575
I can't help that I have some Portuguese in me, anon.