[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 315 KB, 1280x1024, Canadian-Flag-canada-729711_1280_1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6403155 No.6403155[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Let's get a Canadian cosplay thread!
I wan to hear about your favorite/least favorite cons, cosplays, cosplayers, vendors, artists and anything else related!

Are there any cons you're looking forward to? Any upcoming cosplays you're antsy to show off?

>> No.6405467

I'm interested to know if anybody is going back to DTAC after last year's disaster. Apparently we're going to have the entire North Building this time, so that should alleviate the crowds, but there's still the issue of the asshole security guards. I'm gonna give them one more shot but if they fuck up again, I'm not coming back.

>> No.6405496

>>6405467
Do you know how much they're charging?

>> No.6405515

>>6405496
No idea. They're charging $8 for November Comicon so I suspect it will be hovering around that number. Wasn't it $10 last year?

>> No.6405529

>>6405515
Is there a website for the Nov Comicon?

>> No.6405535

>>6405467
Well the admission is cheap, so it's not like I'd avoid it

>> No.6405549

After the shit-tastic Cattle Con of last year, there is no way I am ever going to any TACs again.
I would avoid FanEx too, but they get all the big name stars that I enjoy meeting, and it's the only big con around that isn't mostly anime.

>> No.6405570

>>6405549
There's a Fuck DTAC event for people who aren't going to DTAC. Pretty sure everyone's invited.

>> No.6405670

>>6405570
I am hesitant about that as it sounds like some weebs throwing a shitty hotel party.

>> No.6405681

>>6405670
There is not many weebs in our group. If you want to hang out with crazies go hangout with homestuck.

>> No.6405685

>>6405670
A few people are going to korean bbq for lunch and then Karaoke afterwards. They aren't crazy weebs.

I'm not going though cause it's on a Sunday.

>> No.6405754
File: 164 KB, 700x400, 2012TORONTOANIME.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Lots of costumes
>Hall cosplay

Those are the same damn thing.
And those claims are entirely dependent on cosplayers even showing up after the shit they put them through last year.

>> No.6405898

I was thinking of going to the December con in Toronto. I've been trying to get to Anime North for years and something always gets in the way. Now that I have more control over my life I just want to get to a freaking con already. I was thinking it might be a good trial con since it's not too big I'm assuming, and the short length and low fee will be easy on my wallet. Not sure if my hubby can make it though cause of exams, and I don't want to go alone.

If I can't make that one, I'd like to try out Con-G and then Anime North after.

>> No.6405979

souvrainiste-indépendantiste pure laine québecois here.
Only loves Canada for shitload of conventions

2013 will be an awesome year, as I want to explore canada, as while as do cons

2013 canadian con list
>G-anime 2013 (Gatineau QC) (January)
>Nadeshicon (Quebec city)
>Ottawa Comic-Con (May)
>Anime North
>Animaritime (end june)
>Ai-Kon (Winnipeg, but three days car from my city not sure if worth it)
>Otakuthon
>Montreal Comic con

So Manitobans or anyone who went, is Ai-kon awesome?

>> No.6407684

bum

>> No.6410430

bump

>> No.6412498

>>6405979
local here, and Ai-kon is pretty decent considering it's 2k+ size, definitely a million times better then the shit storm of C4. So I'd say if you can make it then come on over.

Just avoid the gross homestucks, we're home of those nasty ones who filmed themselves spitting in a bucket.

>> No.6412513

I want to do more than Otakuthon/AnimeNorth this year... which are the best after that?

>> No.6412520
File: 34 KB, 418x394, 1348454728889.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6403155
>I wan to hear about your favorite/least favorite cons
>favorite
>not favourite
>mfw OP was an american near me

>> No.6412604

>>6412513
I really like Con-G, personally. It's small but there's always something to do and it's growing pretty fast. The only bad thing is that it's practically in the middle of nowhere in Guelph, but I went to school there so it was a bonus for me!

I'm trying to go to a lot of Canadian cons too since I want to know what they're all like, I went to like 8 of them this year in the Ontario area. But yeah, of those 8 Con-G and Anime North are my favourites.

>> No.6412658

>>6412604
8 of them? I didn't know there were so many. Would you mind listing some for me?

I'm also glad to hear good things about Con-G, if my plans work out it'll be the first convention I actually make it to. And I feel like it's good practice for AN since it's closer to me than Toronto.

>> No.6412693

>>6412658
Sure! I'll go in order of dates.
Emiko's Mini Con -January
Con-G -February
Anime North -May
Atomic Lollipop- June
ConBravo!- July
FanExpo- August
Ochiba~Con- September
Anime North/JCCC Halloween Festival- October

TCAF is also fun, but it's not a convention. More like a comic artists festival. And of course there's the TACs too, but I've never been to MTAC or DTAC since I've heard really really shitty things about them on both sides, the vendors and the fans.

Of those cons here's how I'd rank them based on the level of fun I had at each and the relative cost. A con like Atomic Lollipop was fun, but the weekend pass was a bit expensive at $45 online (once you paid all the fees), whereas there was less to do at ConBravo, but the pass was only $25 for a whole weekend.

So best to worst: Con-G, Anime North, ConBravo!, Atomic Lollipop, Anime North/JCCC Halloween Festival, FanExpo, Ochiba~Con, and Emiko's Mini Con I would not go to again if it was organized the same way. Way too much money for very little programming.

There was also Unplugged Expo in September but I didn't go since it seemed more about gaming than anime, people who went can correct me if I'm wrong.

>> No.6412703

>>6412693
woops Atomic Lollipop was in July this year. Sorry!

>> No.6412793

>>6405979
This is what Winnipeg is like:
http://youtu.be/T2o2a27lnGQ

and

http://youtu.be/k39Fe95ZHZo

>> No.6412811

>>6412693

Thank you so much! Never knew there were so many options, that's awesome. :3

>> No.6415844

[1/5]
Here's basically how I feel about the cons I've been to...

Anime North is probably my favourite because of the sheer amount of cosplayers it attracts. It's not as big as FanExpo, but since it generally draws a younger crowd, a larger percentage of attendees show up in cosplay. You're bound to find a cosplayer from anything, which is great, because you meet a lot of friends in your fandoms. It also offers tons of programming and an impressive masquerade, since everyone enters their best costumes. But even if you don't show up to any events, you can't get bored just wandering around, mingling and taking pictures. Also, since lots of people hang around outside the con centre when they're not shopping or at panels, it's not as stuffy as FanExpo, where everyone squeezes indoors. It's still crowded but not insane for its size.

>> No.6415858

>>6415852
[3/5]

The TACs suck, but they're also the cheapest. It's up to you to decide if they're worth it. I pretty much only go to see my con friends; if you don't have any buddies going then I'd say stay home. The programming is usually shit and the staff are assholes. You might just wanna hang around sort of near the con area; however, they are unfortunately starting to crack down on this.

>> No.6415852

>>6415844
[2/5]

Con-G and ConBravo are also some of the best cons around. They have less to do than AN but the price is adjusted accordingly. They're also well-run compared to most other cons...things tend to run on time, staff are pretty nice, food is easily accessible, etc. Definitely "must attend" cons. (Also, ConBravo's Saturday night dance was quite small this year but very, very fun. My favourite con dance thus far.)

>> No.6415862

>>6415858
[4/5]

As for FanExpo, I have mixed feelings. If it were cheaper I'd feel better about it, but it's hardly worth its price. ($100 for the whole weekend, compared to $45 for the whole Anime North weekend, which is a far superior con.) They bring in awesome guests but charge you so much for signatures...it's basically Overpriced Con. It's also incredibly crowded and the line to get in takes AGES.

>> No.6415864

>>6415862
[5/5]

Unplugged was...well, tiny, but that's forgivable since it was in its first year. They really just need to focus on offering more programming for next year, but they're off to a decent start. Also barely anybody was in cosplay which kinda sucked.

>> No.6416366

>>6412498

Merci.
For easterns looking for a nice convention in winter, and not going to the US conventions. May I suggest G-anime. Gatineau. (january 27 to 29)

>Good convention, growing, nice staff and well organized,
>1.5k
>Bilingual
>No need go outside, Hotel connected to congress center.

>http://ganime.ca/

>> No.6418923

I have a chronic, auto immune disease and I'm working exceptionally hard to get better so I can attend anime north next year.
What are the cheapest hotels?
I don't mind being like 10-15 minutes away or a little more.

>> No.6418927

>>6415862
can you go to FanExpo but not have to go in?

>> No.6418940

>>6418927
Being outside fan expo is literally just standing around downtown. There's a long winding hallway you have to walk down just to get in the hall

>> No.6418950

>>6418923
What have you got? I know that feel bro.

Here are the hotels in the area. Most of them are accepting reservations for 2013. http://animenorth.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143&Itemid=66

>> No.6418965

>>6418940
well that's good

I'd really want to go to AN but it falls out of my holiday schedule, so I'm going to do FanExpo as a substitute

>> No.6418981

>>6418927
I did that last year with friends, they have events at the park and around the area. I stayed in a hotel with friends, but most of us spent our time not in the con because it was way too crowded.

>> No.6420125

HOLLA AT VANCOUVER

For the size of the community here, we are way, way too over saturated with conventions. New ones are popping up constantly. The smaller ones that have been around for a decent length of time are affordable, but constantly splintering, and the new upstart charges more than AX for the weekend. It`s ridiculous.

>> No.6420290
File: 45 KB, 367x449, eva_asuka027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Are there any cons you're looking forward to?
Meh.
>Any upcoming cosplays you're antsy to show off?
Yes.