[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 15 KB, 336x229, 1348424089585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6338671 No.6338671[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Things you never thought you'd never have to worry about before you cosplayed.

I'll start.
>How to do makeup.
>Colored contacts.
>Quads are getting too big to fit the pants for my cosplay.
>Wearing, cutting and styling wigs.

>> No.6338675

>correct shoes
>what "lolita" really was
> props

>> No.6338680

>Wig clips, wig pins
>how to pose in photos/always aware of photographers

>> No.6338687

I thought the OP had two fistfulls of pizza

>> No.6338706
File: 461 KB, 260x144, hugs 2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>makeup

Especially as a crossplayer, I had no idea what I was getting myself into back in the day. I was never a particularly "girly" girl either so I couldn't into makeup very well until I started asking around /cgl/ way back when. /cgl/ is like the big sister I never had, thank you guys for teaching me makeup techniques!

>> No.6338714

>>6338687
Oh god me too.

>circle lenses
>heels
>traveling
>so many people at a con
>constructing props/accessories/shoes

And I think everyone can agree with these.
>Barely finishing before con
>Time
>Money

>> No.6338716

I still have issues with makeup. You don't really know how hard some things are until you try them...and this may make me sound like a retard, but I can't for the fucking life of me figure out how to put on falsh eyelashes.

Halp.

>> No.6338718

>>6338671
Getting fucking molested

>> No.6338723

>>6338706
As a guy, I was, and still am pretty clueless.
/cgl/ and my friends have helped a lot, though.

Just tried on the rest of my cosplay. Turns out my chest and arms are too big for this too. Fuck. Didn't think going from DYEL to slightly less DYEL would be such a big problem.
Looks like I'm stuck at this weight until Sakuracon.

>>6338718
This reminds me - a friend of mine cosplayed a Spartan, and had a guy ask for a hug. When they went to hug, the guy started feeling up my friend's abs and chest. Was a bit awkward.

>> No.6338722

>>6338716

False eyelashes can be really hard to put on if you're not used to it. Are you using individual lashes or a strip?

Strip lashes can be put on by placing them on your eyelid so they're resting on top of your natural lashes then pressing them into place with a Q-tip, I find that's the easiest way. For me, using tweezers just complicated things, but you might find that way works better.

As for individual lashes, there are a lot of useful Youtube videos that explain the process way better than I can.

>> No.6338730

>>6338714
>circle lenses

Can I ask about those without starting a thread? I really kind of want to get some, but I don't know how to go about ordering or what brands are safest. Should I get certain colours if my eyes are a certain colour? How long do they last?

>> No.6338731

>>6338671

>quads
Confirmed for /fit/izen

>makeup
Are you a boy or a girl?

>> No.6338742

>>6338731
I'm also >>6338723
I'm a guy - main two boards are /cgl/ and /fit/ with /g/ and /a/ on the side.
Only been to two cons, and only been lifting since mid-summer, so I'm pretty new to both.
I had to lighten my skin tone a bit, and make my eyebrows blond - pretty simple, but I never touched makeup prior to last September.

>> No.6338763

>>6338730

It depends what you want from your lenses. That will affect the size and brand you choose.

Lenses can last for a while whilst still sealed in the vials of buffered saline solution they arrive in. You have to soak them for about a day to get rid of this, as it can irritate your eyes.
Most lenses are yearly lenses, so you can wear them for up to a year before tossing them for a new pair, but if you wear them a lot, you might want to throw them away sooner than that.

Ordering is very easy; most sites use cart systems. Two popular sites I've had success with were Honeycolor and PinkyParadise.

Some lenses won't look good on certain eye colours, but unfortunately there's not much you can do about that. The best route is experimentation and reading/watching product reviews. I don't have much of an issue with this as I have very pale grey eyes, but naturally large pupils, so my natural eyecolour isn't too visible through the "peephole".

Most lenses will give lovely, vibrant colour. As I said, reading reviews is the way to go! It's hard to tell from the photos on the websites as they're usually photoshopped.

If you want subtle enlargement, go with 14mm. If you want visible but non-extreme enlargement, go for 14.5mm. If you want dramatic enlargement, go for 15mm. I only really wear 15mm because I like the extreme look.

>> No.6338762

>>6338730
Circle lenses usually last a year but it depends how long you wear them. If you wear them more they won't last as long, however don't keep them after a year as they really could hurt your eyes.

As far as picking a lense I always get my lenses at pinky paradise. They are really good with shipping and I've never had a problem with any of my lenses. I would suggest looking up whatever lens you are looking for in google search or a review as the photos they do have are shopped so it can be deceiving. That's how I pick my lenses especially because I have green eyes and they are made for dark eyes. Here is a link to the lenses and I always look through color but all their brands are safe! I hope this helped some!

http://www.pinkyparadise.com/category_s/1848.htm

>> No.6338765

>>6338763

Make sure you get your eyes tested for lenses before you buy! I cannot stress this enough! Prescription lenses are readily available for those with - subscription, but I've not seen any for a + subscription. Plano lenses are also, obviously, widely available.
When you get your eyes tested, you'll find out your base curve, or BC. Try to find lenses as close to this as possible, and avoid going any more than .2 away from your base curve. For example, if you have an 8.6 BC, you could comfortably wear lenses in the range of 8.4 to 8.8, but you'd be best to stay away from anything less or more than that. The closer to your BC, the more comfortable the lenses will be. Wearing lenses that don't fit properly can really damage your eyes, so it's very, very important you get your eyes checked.

I find circle lenses way easier to put in and more comfortable than my ordinary lenses. This is probably because they are thicker.

You will need to buy solution to soak and store your lenses in as well as a solution to clean them, though some solutions do both like the one I use. Look up how to clean contact lenses on Youtube. Hope I helped!

>> No.6338768

>>6338762
Thank you very much!

>> No.6338780

>>6338765
Do I still need to get my BC checked if I have perfect vision?

>> No.6338785

>>6338780
Yeah. I use 0 power, but you still need your BC checked. It's like having clothes of the right color, but are several sizes too big / small. They won't be comfortable.

>> No.6338793

>>6338780

Yes. It's very important, not only for your safety, but also your comfort.

Also, if you're a bit anxious about buying circle lenses online, you should try buying GEO brand lenses, as they come with a serial number you can check on their website to ascertain whether or not they're counterfeit, which should help put your mind at rest.

>> No.6342245
File: 132 KB, 908x680, 1334243415247.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shameless self bump. I'll let the thread die after this if no one posts.

>> No.6342266
File: 25 KB, 450x327, john-lennon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6342245
LIVE AND LET DIIIIIEE

>> No.6344091
File: 21 KB, 280x280, liveandletdie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6342266
>>Live and Let Die
>>John Lennon

...the fuck is the matter with you? Try Paul McCartney and Wings.

>> No.6344114

>>6338671
Getting simple black knee high boots for cosplay. I swear, nowadays there's always some sort of decorative shit on shoes.

>> No.6344120
File: 66 KB, 600x700, 6546564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6342266

>> No.6344130

>>6338680
>>how to pose in photos/always aware of photographers
Same. I'm still learning, but it's rubbing off in that even in regular photos, I'm striking a pose and looking like I'm trying to overtake the picture.

>> No.6344145

>>6344130
It is called being photogenic and charismatic. As long as you aren't douching it up then it is a naturally outgoing trait to have.

>> No.6344192

Wigs
Photoshoots
Organizing gatherings
Acting in character
Learning character voices
Using contact lenses
Finding a photographer
Location scouting
Oversea ship times
/cgl/ and online drama
Wild glompers