[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 250 KB, 727x969, IMG_20211017_114907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10750186 No.10750186 [Reply] [Original]

mew éarő thread because of autosage of previous one and whatnot.

Larp season already started, in fact never ended

previous thread
>>10695264

>> No.10750379
File: 1.81 MB, 4160x1968, 20220408_191712.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750186
More work done today! After a long period of working on finnicky bits, I finally got some woodworking on big square chunks in again. I borrowed a reciprocating saw since mine died yesterday, and holy shit is this one better than mine. I got work done so much faster than usual today.

I started work on the frame that holds the shooty part today. Right now it's kinda flimsy, but it's getting some diagonal bars soon that will make everything solid. I'm super concerned for my axle though: this thing is getting HEAVY and my axle is not that thick at all. But we'll get there when we get there I guess.

Still missing are the aforementioned bars, little "footpieces" that hold the axle, and a million and one holes for dowels to pin everything together. I hope to get all of that done tomorrow. At that point the only components that need building are the rear foot and the trigger mechanism, but both of these can be incredibly simple. The more daunting task ahead is sanding and staining all of the wood, that's going to be a few days worth of work on its own.

Next update probably tomorrow!

>> No.10750389

>>10750379
Looking great Ballistanon, keep sharing updates, I enjoy seeing them.

Got a big fest larp coming up in 2 weeks, so I'm basically just trying to sort my real life shit out before then. Got some hose that I'm looking forward to wearing in, god damn those things show off everything.

>> No.10750413

>>10750186
What LARPs are you looking forward to in the next few months?

Found a few in my area but I'm just gonna scope them out since I've never larped before. I'm expecting dicksword swinging and sack throwing, but if the storyline is fun maybe I can put some work into a character.

Another question. Do you create completely new characters for each LARP or do you try to alter a main idea to fit what you're doing per event? It seems pretty expensive, so I wonder if people can afford completely different kits.

>> No.10750415
File: 999 KB, 250x251, 1429366721900.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750186
Going to a medieval costume party next month, but google only gives me the typical Halloween stores with crappy costumes and I want to check out nicer stuff.
Where should I look?
I'm in Europe, BTW.

>> No.10750420

>>10750389
Thanks!

>Got a big fest larp coming up in 2 weeks
Ooh, which of the big fest larps is two weeks from now?

>>10750413
>Do you create completely new characters for each LARP or do you try to alter a main idea to fit what you're doing per event? It seems pretty expensive, so I wonder if people can afford completely different kits.
That depends entirely on the larp and the surrounding culture. In my personal circle I guess it's kind of seen as a dick move to play the same character everywhere instead of making a character that's written into the world of the specific larp. I do know plenty of people that play the same character everywhere though, and apparently across the border in Germany it's the norm. Either way nobody will object if you play a different character but recycle most of the costume pieces.

I guess the bottom line is that if you must know, better ask around in your local scene for their opinion.

>>10750415
I like Celtic Webmerchant as a jack of all trades, master of none type larp webshop.

>> No.10750474
File: 258 KB, 736x1042, 14th century.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750420
Empire, in bongland. The organisers have revealed there's going to be something like 500+ new players coming, so it might hit 3000 people for the first time, which is equally exciting and worrying. All I'm saying is I'm bringing spare toilet paper.

>>10750413
There's a small scale Roman game coming up in a few months I'm very excited for. It's decently high realism, so can't wait to eat shit and die for Caesar within a few hours with a single spear to the face from some barbarian.

I personally like to create completely new characters for each larp I do, but thats partially because I do a wide range of different genres, and because lots of my kit is multipurpose. The combo of a wool and linen tunic works for pretty much every setting pre-1600 with different cheap accessories. It also means that you don't end up awkwardly crowbaring stuff that doesn't work into games. Best of luck with finding a good Larp anon, it's a fun hobby.

>>10750415
Depends on what you want for "medieval", but Perkele viking store on FB does good tunics for next to nothing, so I highly recommend as a good starting point. Pic related is an easy look to get together, yet has incredible drip. General tip, go for wool and linen rather than cotton or polyester.

>> No.10750678

>>10750413
I'm going to a ~300 people event a few states away. Excited about it for the most part, as the only games I've gone to were local and had maybe 30 people occasionally. Definitely gonna have one of the best costumes there, so hope I can back it up with good combat skill.

>> No.10750811
File: 3.12 MB, 4160x1968, 20220409_173506.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750186
Last update in a while!

My holiday is over, and this is where I'm at now. Not -quite- where I wanted to be, but very nearly there!

What you're seeing is a stress test of the axle. It definitely looks a bit silly this way, with the shooty part resting at its centre of gravity instead of all the way at the front. Definitely getting some bigger wheels somewhere in the future, too. But hey, the axle is holding and that's the most important part!

All that's left is embedding the diagonal beams, making a footpiece at the back, and a trigger mechanism. I honestly hope to brute force through all of those in a day so that I can get to sanding and woodstaining, and eventually the final assembly stage.

In the long run I want some proper projectiles but in the first year I'll just be shooting larp arrows. I have maybe four of those left though but I'll just buy new ones at DF.

>> No.10751305

>>10750413
New characters? Yes. New kits? I generally do, but I know how to sew my own clothes.
This isn't an option to a lot of people, so consider the following.

You need a few basic, neutral pieces that will form the groundwork for every kit you have.
earthen tones hosen, natural coloured undershirt, a muted colour cotte or doublet. This way, you only really might need a new surcotte or gown and even that isn't necessarily the case. Don't fall into the trap of split colours, you never know when you come upon a game where heraldic colours matter.
You can then differentiate with paraphernalia. Different scarves, different headwear, different belts, different jewelry. My priest of the god of chance always carried a piece of driftwood with him for people to knock on after prayers, also a black and white harlequin's mask. I wore most of the same clothes on my bard, without the driftwood or mask, but a lot of jewelry instead. Different cape, different hat. It felt and looked completely different.

Do not get some of the red, blue or green gambesons I've seen around, or heavens forbid, the multicoloured brocade ones. Natural or black/brown, depending on your climate.
If you opt to wear chainmail, congratulations. If historical accuracy isn't paramount (because of the differences in design), you can wear that to basically any setting you encounter that isn't the age of sail or later. Chainmail also has the bonus of being neutral enough in appearance that no one will specifically identify it with a certain character.

Most places are hodgepodge fantasy "medieval" settings anyway, where you'll see people wear age of sail undershirts under 15th century doublets with Rus pants and modern pleather riding boots.
I prefer to keep a higher standard, but if you're short on funds you can totally mash up two kits into two or three more.

>> No.10751359

Been hanging out with the SCA group nearby, got my homemade bedsheet tunic and my knee pads.
WAGMI

>> No.10751413

>>10750413
Bicolline, drachenfest US. Have a mixed group of burgers and quebecois heading to drachenfest, should be fun even if the event sucks.

>> No.10751747

Anyone tried the FakeSteel swords? Thoughts? The scabbards look pretty great.

>> No.10751750

How do I get a larper bf? It looks so neat, I want to witness the process and help out where I can

>> No.10751755

>>10750413
Redpill me on what's available in the eastern US

>> No.10751787

>>10751747
I have one. Very high quality. Blade has a thicker edge than your average calimacil/epic weapon. Tip is very well constructed- probably the safest thrusting weapon I own, even though the makers are anti-thrust. Very pretty. Scabbard and belt is fantastic, survived going up a mountain in winter- and me falling on it. Weapon doesn't hit particularly hard. It's 1.5lbs, but because of the pommel, PoB is 3" above the guard, so the weight is all in your fist. Won't hot hard unless you're sloppy, or not fit enough to keep it under control- it's anywhere from 2-10 times the weight of other weapons, depending on what you're used to. Weapons checkers are all over the place on them. They're definitely safe- and I say that having built my own shit, or had friends do it, for 15 years- but it's heavy, so if they don't know their shit they get spooked. The pommel being a lead weight can scare them, but they usually don't figure that out, since it's pretty thoroughly coated in plastic.

Fights great. Heavy, but the good balance means it rotates disgustingly well, I can and have used it against Cali, epic, and burger ultralights successfully. Does really well using the handling+mass advantage to parry, then binding and countering off the bind.

Overall worth every penny, looks real, handles real, and I've put it through 3 events now without a mark on it. Guys respond quick, communicate often, and work fast- time from payment to weapon, but, and scabbard on my doorstep (in the US) was three weeks.

Honestly the whole ensemble together is probably my favorite piece of kit, I plan on ordering 2-4 more swords, plus a dagger. Eventually.

Can't comment on the axes and maces, never seen one.

>> No.10751930

>>10751750
try to set your standards a little higher, for example a sane larper bf first.

>>10751787
have you any experience with wyvern replica series? can you compare them to those?

>> No.10751934

>>10751750
step 1, be cute
step 2, maybe be a girl?

>> No.10751938

>>10751934
lets be honest, for most people breathing is enough and sometimes that's optional too

>> No.10751948

>>10751930
Not really. My understanding is that wyvern tends towards thinner edges, which means it'll hit harder, but that's literally the only thing I know about them. I'd need to cut one apart or see a construction diagram to have a real opinion.

I'll take a look at their site tonight and see if there's enough information for me to actually compare.

>> No.10751990

>>10750678
>Definitely gonna have one of the best costumes there
You sound confident. Mind posting your kit/context of the game?

>> No.10751991

>>10751948
I have a fucked up older generation and a new generation wyvern sword of single edged ones and two similar double edged ones (single edged swords in my opinion tends to be more durable most of the time as they put more material in it)
I can take measurements and even cut up a little the fucked up one

>> No.10751994

>>10751305
This is exactly and also more than I was hoping to learn wrt to characters and kits, thank you so much.

Been looking at some gambeson patterns for a while now and gonna go with neutral colors for the fabrics now.

>> No.10752000
File: 87 KB, 640x480, 8A755390-E23C-4C92-837C-D01BD30CF176.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10751930
>a sane larper bf
Is that rare, like lolitas who aren't mentally ill?

>>10751934
I'm both, so I believe I could at least try, but where do I find one? I just look at photos of costumes sometimes, because I find them neat, but have no idea where larpers congregate

>> No.10752002

>>10751994
little advice for clothing:
basically the importance of any piece of clothing goes from top to bottom if you go for looks.
So any kind of headwear / scarf /whatever will be your most important and shoes are the least important.
Why? Becuase when you interact with someone they will see your face and the uppart part of your torso maybe, so that's what they will see most of the time in face to face situation.
If you are farther away differentiating people by their headwear is also a could work but torso things get into the picture, though those can resemble easily if you aren't really exceptional in a crowd, so headware still remains the most important thing.
Different kind of pants could greatly add to your look but generally people doesn't look actively on them if you don't give them any reason, and same for boots. As long as your boots doesn't come up to your knees or something, most people won't look at them 99% of the time (with the exception of elitist fuckwits and foot fetishists')

BUT that's only true for IRL interactions. The moment we are talking about photos or videos this kind of gets thrown out of the window because: 1. you looking at a still picture so you have more time and reason to look every detail 2. people on the internet try to find a problem in everything

>>10752000
>Is that rare, like lolitas who aren't mentally ill?
depends on the definition of sane, I would say the amount is similar but they are not sane in a different way. Milage may vary depending on your country. I mean in the US larping is still kind of shunned and an "outcast" hobby so that will attract different kinds of people than where it's widely acceptable

>> No.10752036

>>10752000
God, its a shame its completely useless in most systems because I love the aesthetic of a padded jack and one or two bits of plate.

Anyway, honest answer? Got to go to a larp. Otherwise they just blend in with the background of whatever other nerdy hobby space theyre in. Larp as a general community is fine, at least here in europ, but like all nerd spaces it attracts some fuckin awful people and a higher % of spergs.

>>10751994
One thing I will add is that underlayers can be used for literally everything. I have a linen tunic that I wear for 90% of my characters as a base layer, and then can throw whatever else over the top. Don't be the guy who has a decent tunic or whatever but then you see a tshirt poking out of the neck hole.

>> No.10752048

>>10752036
This. I have clothes set aside SPECIFICALLY to cover my modern sports wear under my armor- with the tops color matched in case anything peaks out. Under layer matters.

>> No.10752057

>>10752000
>where larpers congregate
depends on yer country

>> No.10752062

>>10751991
I'd probably be interested in edge measurements, weight, point of balance, and tip thickness, construction. I REALLY like tip construction on fakesteel. Instead of that long foam "thrusting tip" that cores will inevitably burst through, it's shorter, flares out at the tip, and is filled with rubber. Much less opportunity for the tip to bend and the core to get through sidewall, and if it does fail, it's not so much of an issue since the rubber should stay attached rather than bare pole stabbing into someone.

My guild leader may actually have a few wyvern swords. I'll ask him, should be able to handle them next bicolline campaign in a few weeks.

Assuming you're trying to figure out how the compare for eurolarp purposes?

>> No.10752105
File: 160 KB, 1216x912, IMG_20211221_142558.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10752062
that tip protection is more or less standard nowdays with stuff that isn't bottom of the barrel. Sometimes instead of rubber they use different materials but it's the same shit if its rubber or textile strengtenth plastic or kevlar or some other thing.

>Assuming you're trying to figure out how the compare for eurolarp purposes?
nope, I'm trying to figure out how much I should buy for my own testing from the fake steel, think about it for a year now but always had other stuff to spend my money. Plus there wasn't that much a need as we have a fair deal of calimacil and wyvern weapons plus more than enough home made and other stuff.

Anyway these are the ones I have of the single edged stuff, will look at their measurements in a minute or two

>> No.10752114

>>10752105
Older one
weight: 375g
blade lenght: 76-ish cm, missing the tip so not perfect measurement
overall length: 92-ish cm
handle length from the crossguard: 15cm
point of balance from the crossguard: ~22 cm, though it's missing parts from the far end
thickness at the false edge: 2cm
thickness at the true edge: 2,5 mm

newer one
412g
blade length: 77 cm
overall length: 101,5 cm
handle length from the crossguard: 23 cm
point of balance from the crossguard: ~17,5 cm
thickness at the false edge: 2 cm
thickness at the true edge: 2,5 mm

the tip is similar for both and goes down from the 2 cm thickness to the 2,5mm thickness in the length of roughly 2 cm, but for the one that still have all of it's tip the core can be felt somewhere roughly at 4,7 cm from the tip.

the overhanging tip protection from the core in the old one as far as I can see was some kind of textile hardened rubber that was folded up a few times

>> No.10752180
File: 236 KB, 1920x1832, construction2 (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10752114
So, here's the stats from their site on the one I have:

Total lenght: 88 cm
Blade lenght: 70 cm
Blade width: 4.5 cm
Weight: 670 g
Point of Balance: 8 cm (from crossguard)
I'm getting maybe .5 or .75cm at the edge, but I'm using the tape I use to measure myself for armor, so it's not exactly precise. Plus I'm a burger, so I can't really eyeball metric.
Tip thickness around 1.5cm- again, take that with a big grain of salt. Once I'm unpacked from the weekend, I can upload a photo or two.

>Standard tip construction?
Is it? I'm used to epic armory swords, they're considerably less robust.

I grabbed their construction diagram for now.

>> No.10752203

>>10751747
Got one as well, they're great: They really are. But there's a massive but.

I wouldn't pass them in my own weapon checks. They covering layer is far too hard, and the weapon is at a decently realistic weight. If your organisation might be on the fence but still gives it a go about Wyvern and old Cali then this won't go. If your group says Wyvern and Cali are fine but just need to be a little harder and more durable these guys should be your only suppliers.

The quality and price is a great match and it's hard to beat them on that. As >>10751787 said they're great bang for buck.

>>10751930
They're harder than Wyvern, maybe comparable to their recalled replica series blades.

>>10752000
One that isn't taken? Pretty much. Lots of girls LARP when you're not in the states, so it's no longer simp economy 'till you reach the moon.

But how to get a LARPer BF, it's simple. Just be yourself anon. And fuck if I know, got to a place LARPers hang out. (LARP events, cons, reenactment events, bohurt, theatres.)

>> No.10752266

>>10752000
Ok, fine!
I'll be your bf.

>> No.10752955
File: 148 KB, 1030x688, LG-Part01-w-152-von-206-1030x688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Tfw no boat larp

>> No.10752987
File: 97 KB, 720x960, 30743963_607200486294590_214118099824148480_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10752955
>no boat larp
the fuck are you talking about?

>> No.10752989

>>10752955
>>10752987
That reminds me, the university of Krems is looking for people to dress up as Romans and row down the Danube.
If anyone's interested:
https://www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/university/faculties/education-arts-architecture/departments/building-environment/news---events/news/registration-for-connecting-cruise.html

>> No.10752993

>>10752989
call me when they reach Budapest and then the Holy Roman Empire might join in

>> No.10753440

>>10752955
>>Tfw no boat larp
makes me wish to participate in something like those BSG larps Projekt Exodus and The Monitor Celestra. That'd be fun AF.

>> No.10753458
File: 63 KB, 480x720, Medieval Male Rus Garb_ The Planning _ Vêtements Médiévaux Russes pour Homme_ La Planification.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

do you guys use cloaks? i want to use one, since i find they look cool, but can't decide what kind of cloak i should use. Standard ranger cloaks look awesome, but i also found some kits, where blanket cloaks are in use and they look also great

>> No.10753470

>>10753458
get yourself a fibula and every blanket is a cape

>> No.10753489

>>10752989
As someone who's getting a Roman impression together, this is surprisingly tempting. Cheeky bit of september rowing, good for the soul.

>>10753458
Seconding >>10753470 , big rectangles of wool and fibulas are the way to live your life. Means you can actually use it as a blanket/bag/door as well, just a grand bit of kit and cheap as hell.

>> No.10753511

>>10753470
>>10753489
thats sound great, but now i found the problem of finding the right size. what should i pay attention to? I found some fabrics which has a width of 150cm. Should i take twice the size for the lenght or how should i calculate it?

>> No.10753534

>>10753511
blanket-size.
and look up some yutub videos of "how to wear your cape" or some shit like that.
You dont think you need it until you keep stepping on your cape and eating grass

>> No.10753695

>>10753511
150cm is standard for cloth these days and should be plenty. For the length, twice the distance from shoulders to knees. This should enable you to wear it any way you want, use it as a blanket, and leave it short enough to be easily manageable.

>> No.10754234

Why are larp boots so expensive? They cost the tripple amount of my normal daily shoes.

>> No.10754238

>>10754234
the _good_ larp boots are made by experts not by child labour hence the different in price. I mean I'm all for child labour but kids are not really professionals so what they make is mostly shit.

>> No.10754312

>>10754234
I mean, at least here in bongland my reenactment boots have been as expensive if not cheaper than actual normal shoes. £35-40 is really not a huge investement for a pair of medieval ankle boots that work for almost every setting. Plus they're not made by a pakistani child, so that's something

>> No.10754315

Get your clownass in here Gropey I want in on your larp.

>> No.10754372

Hmm...
What even is this thread

>> No.10754375

>>10754234
Because they're not being churned out by a factory or child. My boots were 80usd, which isn't much for something I'll probably wear 50+ days a year.
Fighting boots will cost another 150, but the protection for my feet and proper arming point for sabatons is well worth it.

>> No.10754403
File: 135 KB, 640x640, boots.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10754234
Why don't you make your own?

>> No.10754405
File: 163 KB, 1292x969, IMG_20210922_114809.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10754312
for two pairs of reenactment shoes I paid 275 euro but that's whit shipping (125 a pair and 25 shipping) and it was made on order to exact measurements. Granted it's not cheap but for the quality I got it wasn't expensive either

>> No.10754408
File: 149 KB, 332x285, big drum.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

do you have bands in your games? we will play at a witcher larp.

>> No.10754436

Who's gonna host the 4chan meet on Drachenfest this year?

>> No.10754438

>>10754436
What's stopping you, anon?

>> No.10754442

>>10754403
No knowledge and no tools. The tools + material would probably cost more then the boots themself. Also with my "skill" they would look like shit, like everything else i try to do.

>>10754238
>>10754312
>>10754375
Okay, lets say i would buy a pair of boots, from a known shop (no child labor (probably, i dont know)) like mytholon

https://www.mytholon.com/en/garments/shoes-gaiters/15060/prescott-turn-down-boots-brown?c=1525

80€ for boots that "are not designed for long use outdoors"

Wouldnt i pay 80€ just to stay arround, so my boots dont get fucked up?

>> No.10754443
File: 691 KB, 1449x2048, 277419639_416622570267592_6325863018296619658_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10754442
Why in the everloving fuck would you buy boots from mytholon?

>>10754436
I'm already planning a new flag for my rotte

>> No.10754444

>>10754443
then recommend me a better shop

>> No.10754446

>>10754444
I've heard consistent high praise of Simurlan Shoes, but he recently got drafted in the Ukranian army so it'll be a while (if ever) before you can order again.

>> No.10754448

>>10754444
alright your quads compel me to share this secret:
http://www.historicalitalianshoes.com/
This italian guy makes wonderful shoes, and while not cheap it is still a cheap option compared to the quality you get. This is where I bought my shoes. He has a very wide range of stuff, also option for hand made or machine made (machine made is still perfect if you are not autistic about reenactment, and also cheaper) and if you really want to you can ask him to combine a few things from different shoes so he can make you something unique. Also as I said previously it's made for size and while I only gave him my measures through email it was still a perfect fit.

The downside apart from the price is that it will probably take a few months to be finished and sometimes communication isn't the fastest but that's a granted with every craftsmen

>> No.10754477

>>10754315
You're probably have better luck if you email him. It's spring break and he works at a museum.

>> No.10754482

>>10754443
Not him, but what's wrong with mytholon boots?

>> No.10754488

>>10754482
most of them are just plastic crap and as they say on the website they are "costume boots" which means it just looks fancy but will fall apart easily as manufacturing is shit (and not just because the shit tier materials)

Mytholon has good stuff here and their boots are mostly shit. The few boots that actually not complete garbage is usually the kind of mass produced stuff that you can get elsewhere properly done and in the same price range

>> No.10754489

>>10754442
At this point, you -should- just by the pleather riding boots mentioned above. At least those can be used all day erry day.

>> No.10754533

>>10754442
>No knowledge and no tools. The tools + material would probably cost more then the boots themself. Also with my "skill" they would look like shit, like everything else i try to do.

Do you realise now why there are different professions in the world?

Shoemaker here. Modern shoes are what your feet are accustomed to, and safer in many ways. What most larpers do, is use nondescript shoes and cover them up. Fancy stuff is services exchanged for currency.

>>10754482 Some of the models have bare leatherboard heels seated to a foam sole. Complete rubbish in terms of durability.

>> No.10754568

>>10754405
I literally can't see a single price on this guy's site, am I retarded?
I really like the look of his 17th century cavalier boots but I can smell the expense from here.

>> No.10754575

>>10754568
as the page says you have to write them an email to send the prices. I have some prices but those are from last year, probably they got more expensive as everything got more expensive since then.

But judging from their prices it's probably somewhere around the 250+ euro price range, though you have to ask them.

>> No.10754585

>>10754575
Thanks, Hungus. 250 is actually cheaper than I was expecting, I guess I'll throw him a line next time I'm flush, before I do something non-stupid with the money.

>> No.10754591

>>10754442
Don't buy from them, they're shit. But from people making buburt or reenactment boots.

>> No.10754593

>>10754444
Gohurt, boots by bohemond. First is fighting in armor boots, second does inexpensive, long lasting historical shoes for all purposes.

>> No.10754594

>>10754591
>buburt
judging by how everyone comes up with new ways of spelling the word I think we are just a year or two away from someone calling it simply babar or some shit like that

>> No.10754597

>>10754594
"Abort"

>> No.10754683

>>10754594
Butthurt

>> No.10754718

>>10754594
>Local Man Accidentally Brings Armor To Boar Hunt

>> No.10754728
File: 31 KB, 446x676, HuntingArmour.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10754718
>he doesn't hunt boar in spiked armour

>> No.10754731

>>10754438 >>10754443

Time to gather for some good ol' CBT-banner time. You nerds on early arrival away for the 9 day fiasco?

>> No.10754919

>>10754731
>CBT-banner
cock-ball torture?
I'm trying really hard not to kinkshame you anon

>> No.10755561

>>10754315
Sup, honkey?

>>10754477
It's been the longest spring break for the past month.

>> No.10755569

Anyone else plans to larp everyday? Like pinsent, I love the regency/Victorian era

>> No.10755646

>>10755569
It's kind of my job. Also, Zack is an absolute doll, and I can't wait till he comes back to town for a visit.

>> No.10755686

>>10755569
God no. Why would you want to do that?

>> No.10755730

Got back from a fest event yesterday evening and fuck me, I've not been this battered to shit in a while. Now for the month long wait for pictures to slowly get released.

>>10754405
That's a really good price for that style to exact measurments. I need to pick up some basic 14th C ankle boots, probably looking to spend around 50 quid from my normal place.

>>10755569
Nope, I keep the fact I larp on the down low to avoid awkward conversations with people at work who woudn't get it. I do occasionally wear hose or a tunic around the house when I'm staying in though, they're just comfy.

>> No.10755735

>>10755569
I actually love basic hygiene and stable wifi so no. Plus I have other hobbies and plan to some day in the future have a life

>> No.10755782

>>10755646
>It's kind of my job.
You don't count. Only people that do it on their own.

>> No.10755803

>>10755569
Any other time the victorians. Fuck the victorians.

>>10755646
What degrees do you need to get a job like yours anyways?

>>10755735
>I actually love basic hygiene
TBF most casual larpers struggle with this.

>> No.10755933

>>10755569
>I love the regency/Victorian era
I'm more interested in the Georgian era, but I defo get that. Larps need more social functions like proper balls.

>>10755730
>I do occasionally wear hose or a tunic around the house when I'm staying in though
Weak. Its just clothes, wear them out and about.

>> No.10756161

>>10754731
>You nerds on early arrival away for the 9 day fiasco?
Nope, the default 9 already take up enough of my preciously few vacation days. I'm lucky enough to live only three hours from Diemelstadt though, so I'll be there earlyish on the Saturday.

>>10755569
>Anyone else plans to larp everyday?
I'm fairly certain there's well-documented psychological disorders for pretending you're someone else 24/7. I'm sure it wouldn't be healthy for you.

Wearing larp clothes as casual wear on the other hand is something plenty of larpers do. I've especially seen a lot of people wear those viking trousers everywhere. I myself have a few harem pants that see use both in larp and as normal summerwear.

>>10755933
>Larps need more social functions like proper balls.
If and only if it's either the theme of the larp, or you've got a genuine way for players to opt out. I've heard more than a few feel bad stories where people couldn't do what they wanted to do because of some social function hogging all the attention and imposing social rules. Especially masked balls, fuck masked balls.

>> No.10756205

>>10755933
Its more that if I spill stuff on a pair of jeans it can go straight into the wash, but if I spill stuff on my pure wool kit its more of a pain to clean. Also fuck me pockets are useful as hell, surprised it took so long for people to figure that out.

>> No.10756450

Anyone care to help a young lad out? I'm new to the LARPing scene, and I'm not great at sewing yet, although I can make foam weapons just fine. What resources are there for both buying and making costumes?

>> No.10756521

>>10756450
>http://tutorials.abbott.me.uk/costume/really-simple-costume-1

>> No.10756598

>>10756205
>surprised it took so long for people to figure that out.
>figure out
The way some bags and pouches were constructed shows that people understood the concept of pockets well before they became popular in clothing.
It's theorized it's more about sparing resources. Pockets put relatively high strain on both seam and cloth when full. The tighter the article of clothing, the worse the effect.
Having pouches instead of pockets reduced wear and tear on the main article of clothing, and a single separate pouch is easier to replace than a pocket in a pair of pants or vest.

>> No.10756640

>>10756598
I'm all for pouches even in real life. Granted I use modern leg pouches or whatever they called but it has more space and more comfortable when I fishing for my stuff in it.

Same with the leather sidebags and whatnot on larps

>> No.10756694
File: 59 KB, 570x700, 4F64324D-825C-4886-BC5E-B3CEEEA7D9A3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but can anyone recommend some good wigmakers that sell synthetic hair pieces? Picrel are some clip-in ringlets I currently own and looking to replace. The person who used to make them closed their Etsy store with no prior notice and never came back.

>> No.10757128
File: 37 KB, 340x287, 1604750848113.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whats the best/better glue for attaching rubber soles to a pair of leather shoes?
Any other tips for diy soles?

>> No.10757283

>>10757128
Renia Ortec. In other words, take them to a cobbler.

>> No.10757300

>>10757128
Every glue I've ever been assured could glue rubber to leather couldn't.

>> No.10757390

>>10757283
>>10757300
A cobbler it is then, to be honest I wasn't all that exited for another project on my desk desu
Thanks!

>> No.10757400
File: 76 KB, 750x750, 403512.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Martial arts nerd checking in

Do any of y'all have experience with Epic Armoury's Tonfa? It looks really neat as a sidearm or something but I had some bad experineces with their weapons in the past.

1) How durable is it?
2) Most importantly, does the side-handle have any core or is it a straight fibreglass core with a foam handle, like your average sword's crossguard or something?

>> No.10757403

>>10757400
You don't want a memeweapon, you want to go home and practice with your longsword

>> No.10757408

>>10757403
>don't want a memeweapon
>longsword

>> No.10757409

>>10757403
Why, you meanie? :c

>> No.10757410

>>10757408
bold statement coming from someone who owns a messer

>> No.10757413

>>10757410
yeah but I never said to others that they shouldn't use meme weapons while using a meme weapon

>> No.10757441

>>10757403
>>10757413
>Stares in arming sword
Why are you people like this?

>> No.10757447

>>10757413
>>10757409
>>10757441
I'm just memeing

We don't get these posts that very often now days

>> No.10757531

>>10757441
bold words for someone in stabbing distance

>> No.10757646

>>10757531
>Messerfag
>Europoor
>Stab
You and I both know you're allergic to thrusts, your threats mean nothing.

>> No.10757661

>>10757646
calculate into this that I'm from eastern europe

>> No.10757671

>>10757661
Honestly, I'd keep insulting you but half the games over here don't allow thrusting either. Fucking insurance.

>> No.10757695

>>10757671
games here allow thrusting, that retardation never reached us

>> No.10757848
File: 207 KB, 801x1221, cheap tents.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Someone please remind that these are ugly, will never be accepted by a historical larp campsite hoa and I'm better off just dealing with having the two dozen poles in my car.

>> No.10758091

>>10757848
transporting polish migrants can lead you to trouble

>> No.10758277

>>10758091
if they can help me set up my tent then its worth the risk

anyways, should I even bother with any of those models or should I invest my money in something better? I the only problem I see with the other tent models is that they need a bunch of poles which could be an issue for transportation :/

>> No.10758441

>>10758277
it's really something that only you would know. We don't know how much stuff you want to store in your tent with how many people, how you want it to use during the game, in what game, what are your transportation options, and a shitton of other stuff, and even if you write all of those things down some people will have a very solid opinion (which won't be yours) and others will be just like whatever, make your own mind.

>> No.10758631

>>10758441
>make your own mind
Shit, I guess I will have to.
But its like you said, there is just a balance that I have to strike between needs and limitations. A big tent means more room for storage on site, but less room for equipment to take with me in the car.

I guess in the end, both make equally as much sense, I just need to make a decision.

>> No.10759321
File: 573 KB, 2048x1366, DePut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I forgot the worst thing about LARP, the crunch of events following each other all the time. 4 Weekenders in 1 month, 2 of which I'm helping organize, and 1 for which I had to make a completely new Georgian kit...

Atleast they're good fun, had a 13th century authenticool LARP last weekend. And the players loved it.

>> No.10759494

>>10759321
looks really cool. french=?

>> No.10759498

>>10759321
Oh hey I know half the people in the background. Come say hi at Bvd if you're there.

>> No.10759511

>>10759321
>Atleast they're good fun, had a 13th century authenticool LARP last weekend. And the players loved it.
Your work is much appreciated mate, keep it up! :)

>>10759498
>Oh hey I know half the people in the background
Do you by any chance know where that knigga got his boots? I've been searching for a new pair for ages.

>> No.10759649
File: 211 KB, 1000x666, landsknechtzelt-burckhardt-170-blau-natur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10758441
I bought the tent, settled on this 4mø one.

>> No.10759821

>>10759511
>Do you by any chance know where that knigga got his boots?
I don't know exactly which dude you're taking about but I don't know any of the men in the picture so no.

Also, to be fair, of how many of your friends do you actually know where they got their shoes?

>> No.10759902

>>10759821
Aww thats a shame, its the guy in maille with his back turned. They look slick.
>Also, to be fair, of how many of your friends do you actually know where they got their shoes?
At least half of them have gotten their boots from active army warehouses, the other half are most likely the same :^)

>> No.10759967
File: 1.45 MB, 2620x4200, cheesed-to-meet-you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i made a pair of crowns for my friends new group

>> No.10760132

>>10759967
heyy, pretty cool.

>> No.10760232

>>10759967
SCA?

>> No.10760262

>>10759967
That's really neat!

btw this photo makes you look like one of those 3D renders of dead kings they make. Something about the lightning and sharp focus I guess?

>> No.10760264
File: 2.67 MB, 4160x3120, IMG_20201009_123434.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10760132
>>10760232
>>10760262
thanks, SCA offshoot since they are still vax crazy retards. based freedom lovers continuing to have fun without maskfighting and vaxpass checking

>> No.10760280

>>10760264
Which group? Is that you in the pic?

>> No.10760284

>>10760264
... Just like that, you outed yourself as a retard. Well done.

>> No.10760302

>>10760284
masks arent period, but you may be having yours right now

>> No.10760306

>>10760280
no formal organization, you dont need lawyers to drink mead and fight in the woods fyi

>> No.10760340
File: 980 KB, 901x1280, apirlvo6s__08455.1626749392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10760264
>>10760302
>>10760306
You're pretty proud of your extra chromosome there, sport.

For your education- what little bit will do you- while the 17th century bird beaked plague mask that everyone thinks of is late, the use of masks mostly in the form of sponges, pomanders, veils, and rags, all soaked in vinegar wrapped around the face do an excellent job, and are written about throughout most of history with any pandemic, including the black death, smallpox outbreaks, etc. They even had mask laws and ordinances in different places at different times, for the vast swath of medical history.

You are dismissed.

>>10760284
Honestly, if that keeps them out of the general population I'm okay with it. If he honestly thinks that this is what is going to drive him away from other groups, then he's better off jacking off alone in the woods with his other silly goose buddies.

>> No.10760348

>>10760302
That doesn't even make grammatical sense. Neck yourself. No one will miss you.

>> No.10760353
File: 242 KB, 2048x1536, 274925190_1216794569189567_332641587390524045_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10760340
yeah let me wrap this pomander around my head

>> No.10760359

>>10760353
You're not making the point you think you are. You're just acting like an underaged /pol/tard.

Are you saying that you're so out of shape that a simple mask makes you winded? That's sad bro. We haven't even used masks for the past three events I've been to.

>> No.10760373

>>10760359
What the fuck did you just say about me, you little ne'r-do-well? I'll have you know I've been elevated to the top of my barony in the Kingdom if An Tir, and I've been involved in numerous secret scroll-writing operations, and I have over 300 confirmed favors. I am trained in the Arts and Sciences and I'm the top scrivener in the entire College of Scribes. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will write you the fuck out of history with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in these Middle Ages, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me in Mundania? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my public network of Diversity Equity and Inclusion Officers across the Knowne World and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your persona. You're fucking erased, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can rewrite your heraldry in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my tempura paints. Not only am I extensively trained in metal leaf, but I have access to the entire glossary of restricted charges and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little dungpile. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking gone, knave.

>> No.10760382

>>10760373
Nice attempt at pasta, but you're still functionally retarded.

>> No.10760400
File: 101 KB, 619x900, sdlkfjsadf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any 16th century clothing that won't make you die of heatstroke if worn in a climate that resembles Satan's sweaty ballsack? I'm trying to assemble something vaguely peasanty like picrel because I'm bad at sewing, and all the layers involved for even basic working class wear in that period are already making me sweat (and yes I at least know to use as much linen as possible). I don't want to be one of those jackasses who just throws on a half-open poet shirt and calls it a day, but the heat and humidity levels lately are really tempting me to do just that.

>> No.10760410

>>10760400
>Is there any 16th century clothing that won't make you die of heatstroke if worn in a climate that resembles Satan's sweaty ballsack?
all of them if you get used to it. Worn and fought in more than one heatwave that I can care about in roughly 3 layers of linen 2 layers of wool 1 layer of leather and 1 layer of steel and I survived. Obviously my smile wasn't sincere at the end of the day but people who bitch about heat usually highly overstating the things
(And in the next few posts people will come about MUH HUMIDITY as a general excuse for being out of shape or just having shit cloths)

>> No.10760438
File: 57 KB, 508x796, 21238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where can I get a generic american revolutionary war outfit? Not too focused on the quality, I'm an /sp/fag I'm just gonna wear it to bars during the world cup

>> No.10760491

>>10760400
Look up clothing specifically for hot climates like southern French, Neapolitan, Spanish, etc.

You got the right idea with the linen, but don't be afraid to look into summer weight wools, which really are the first sports fiber and breath beautifully.

>>10760438
Didn't you literally ask this question already a few threads back? And we came to the conclusion that the cost-to-use value was a Halloween costume?

>> No.10760545

>>10760491
Yes I did, that's why I didn't post a link to the same store as last time. That was a month ago though mate, and the answer I got was "that one looks like shit" and "buy a coat from townsend", which look nice but cost $500. So yeah I'm asking again tripfag, because I still want advice on where to go. Is that not what this thread is for?

>> No.10760548
File: 182 KB, 600x449, ok-retard-ed67bcbe0b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10760264
>>10760302
>>10760306
Picrel

>>10760545
I was in that thread. Clownfag is right though. You only have two options, and that's either the shitty costume or Townsend who IS the cheap option.

>> No.10760565

>>10760545
What >>10760548 said. They used coat in your size from somebody who is getting out of reenacting and doesn't care how much it's worth, your only options are in between buying something ready made from Townsend's or an £8 costume.

>> No.10760605
File: 2.30 MB, 4160x1968, 20220507_181947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750186
Blogposting time!

This weekend I worked the ballista again. The goal for the weekend was to get the supporting construction all done. After all, I had only six more days between then and Drachenfest to work on it. If I got the front legs done this weekend, I could do the trigger mechanism in one day and the rear leg in one day, leaving two days for sanding, staining and glueing.

Started the weekend by making the diagonal beams you see here. It's some ugly woodworking even for my very low standards, and they're not really connected in a load-bearing way at all, but I think they really add to the aesthetic.

>> No.10760609
File: 3.52 MB, 4160x1968, 20220508_163427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10760605
I spent a lot of time on Saturday enlarging pre-drilled holes, which was boring. The join between the front legs and the shooty part needs to be removable for transport, so it consists of three pins that connect them together. Unfortunately getting a rod through four not-exactly aligned holes isn't trivial. I couldn't even use a slightly larger drill, because my smallest step up from a 22mm drill bit is an oversized 32 drill bit.

I ended up having to do that a total of four times: twice for the little feeties on the side and twice for the legs-shooty bit connection. That ended up taking the better part of both days.

Afterwards everything went like a breeze though! I cut a few pegs and used my new belt sander to really quickly get the axle to a nice taper, and by around 17:00 this was the end result.

>> No.10760614
File: 2.66 MB, 4160x1968, 20220508_185242.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10760609
The metadata of my own picture betrayed me and has show it was actually taken at 16:34. Oh well.

Anyhow, I wasn't satisfied with that, so in the remaining time I whipped up passable rear-foot construction, and stressed everything together just in time to snap some pictures before dinner.

Pic related is her in her current form. At this stage she's pretty much done, and I'm almost a full day ahead of schedule! The only unscheduled improvements necessary are endcaps that keep the wheels in place (can't do that yet since I won't be able to take the wheels off anymore after that) and wedges to put in front of the wheels (I may or may not have forgotten entirely that wheels can roll when you don't want them to). Next weekend I'm working on her I'll just be sanding and staining everything, and the weekend after that I'll be making the trigger mechanism and doing the minor fixes listed earlier. And then it's off to Drachenfest!

I'll have no time at all to do shooting tests so I'm just praying to whoever's listening that this thing fires larp arrows normally.

>> No.10760762

>>10760545
>>10760548
You're an uninspired bunch, aren't you?

>>10760438
Befriend a tailor, buy them this pattern, ask them to make it in non synthetic fabrics.
https://simplicity.com/simplicity/s9252
It's never going to pass muster with reenactors, but will look better than that store bought costume.
It's going to cost more than a bargain bin costume, but nowhere near $500 unless they're ripping you off.

>> No.10760803

>>10760762
Bongs can't legally sew American style uniforms, or else the queen could have their penis license revoked.

>> No.10760863

>>10760803
>Penis license
Thanks for reminding me, I need to re-up my yearly before the jubilee.

>> No.10761220

>>10760614
>not doing shooting tests
>with his hopefully LARP-safe siege machine
Uuuuuhhhhhhh...

>> No.10761286

>>10761220
Well the torsion is adjustable so at the very least it won't be too powerful. I've also done some testing with all the mechanical components in place so nothing will break from regular usage. Apart from the one thing that did but that was a shitty placeholder component so I knew that could happen.

It won't be -dangerous-, and the first person that thing shoots at will absolutely be me. It just might end up being wildly inaccurate, in which case I won't use it to shoot at anything smaller than a wall. But that's an acceptable concession.

>> No.10761292

>>10760863
Always pay early. I missed the deadline one year, and ended up with a lock put on until the payment cleared.

>> No.10761460
File: 442 KB, 1005x1344, ogre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone got any guides on how to make 7-8ft monster costumes that you can actually still fight in without looking super goofy? I'm thinking building the shoulders up and having the vision slit built into the mouth for something with the aesthetic of pic related, plus lots of light fabric layers to disguise the big blocks of foam that'll make up most of the construction, as those often look garbage when just painted.

>>10761220
If I have to go out, I want it to be with an entire ballista bolt straight through the chest.

>>10760614
Looks great Ballistanon, can't wait to hear how it performs.

>>10759649
Good choice anon, I find 3-4m a size where its easy to transport and set up without being super small

>> No.10761683
File: 60 KB, 400x586, Mossy golem.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10761460
Let me start by saying I have no experience with building monster suits and all of the following is from theorycrafting when I was planning to make one.

You've basically got two places where you can add height to a person: up top and down below. That leaves you with three options:

>Put everything on top
+ Easy movement since your feet are on the ground
- Weird articulation of joints higher up since monster joints don't line up with the wearer's joints
- Immobile head with vision slit

>Very tall stilts
+ Mobile head with very good vision
- Pretty shit movement which might not be stable at all
- Weird articulation because joints still don't line up but in the other direction this time

>Bit of both
+ Properly lined up joints with easy movement of the arms
- Okayish movement but not ideal
- Still an immobile head

If you ask me, the way to go is either putting everything on top and making a monster suit with (mostly) immobile upper arms like pic related, or doing a bit of both and accepting the slight loss of mobility. But I also think you shouldn't be asking me so take that as you will.

>> No.10761736

>>10761460
>>10761683
god fuckign damnit I wish I knew someone who was good at making shit like this

>> No.10763175
File: 285 KB, 500x545, 1532295916428.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10761460
>Good choice anon, I find 3-4m a size where its easy to transport and set up without being super small
Yeah that was my reasoning as well when I ordered it, and I received it today and its like you say not that unreasonably cumbersome!
Volume wise its quite okay, its just the weight that is an issue but we can work with that. Can't wait to set it up! :D

also tfw new shoes should arrive in time for next event as well!

>> No.10763752

>>10761736
If you're brave enough to do so, you might unironically want to consider asking the furry community. I have heard from pretty reliable sources that a lot of the technical know-how of these suits (managing temperature, changing posture, etc.) translates really well to larp monster suits.

>> No.10763753

>>10763752
I did get one to make me a werewolf costume for a villain in one larp.
We affectionally call it "the meth-head fursuit"

>> No.10763882

>>10761460
Check the archive or ask clownfag offboard. He has a ton of resources and references for this kind of costuming

>> No.10767134
File: 3.10 MB, 2888x2638, image-129.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10763753
budget werewolf that we had a few weeks ago, wasn't a good decision to use it in daylight but at least it's not as shitty as if it were twice as shitty. On the other hand, was put together from mostly stuff that we already had

>> No.10768185

>>10767134
>budget werewolf
that's just great desu

we need more monsters

>> No.10768595
File: 3.15 MB, 2496x3120, day1-38.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10768185
just go and burn down an orphanage, suddenly everyone will see you as one

>> No.10768766

>>10768595
not that kind of monster...

>> No.10768801

>>10768766
and that's why it will be a third rate larp with a fourth rate player base

>> No.10768831
File: 41 KB, 191x253, 1639420320730.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10768801
you didn't have to say that so bluntly

>> No.10768848

>>10768831
just hope that you won't activate my trap card

>> No.10768912
File: 41 KB, 249x284, 1544885552606.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10768848
knowing you, its already in effect.

>> No.10768974

Anyone planning on attending Drachenfest US?

>> No.10768975

>>10760340
Yeah but are they using period masks or the microplastic shit that's polluting the earth?

>> No.10769090

>>10768975
Go be retarded somewhere else please.

>> No.10769121

>>10768912
can't confirm nor deny it

>> No.10769161

>>10769090
it started off as a shitpost but now I'm actually curious if they're using period masks, cause kinda cool if so.

>> No.10769248

>>10769161
I mean, it wouldn't be hard to take a length of cloth and wrap it over your face to cover a modern filter mask, so go to.

>> No.10769266
File: 155 KB, 1005x1035, rock and roll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10761683
Having done some testing (by going to an event and putting on their big guy suits), Tall head and shoulders really does not inhibit movement very much at all. Looking out of the mouth slit makes looking directly down a bit tricky, but even without big boots I was plenty imposing. Gave me some good ideas about how to put the whole thing together as well.

>> No.10769324
File: 29 KB, 400x400, adult-yellow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10761683
>>10769266
would shoes like this make for decent height extenders? Assuming you became proficient in actually moving around in them.

>> No.10769459

https://fullstoretee.myshopify.com/products/medieval-fantasy-boots-mens-renaissance-footwear-vintage-retro-brown-leather-lace-up-knee-high-boots

Apart from the nylon laces these look good to me for the price. Anyone ever seen these in the wild?

>> No.10769479
File: 2.64 MB, 2496x3120, day1-104.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10769324
it works, but you will need something to lean on if you stop. so a big weapon or something

>> No.10769509

>>10769479
very cool. Big monster big weapon.

>> No.10769558

>>10769459
>46 EU-- 28cm (Foot Length)
dude what is up with that sizing?

>> No.10769562

>>10769459
These are Armstreet's "forest" high boots.
https://armstreet.com/store/footwear/medieval-fantasy-high-boots-forest

I see them on other websites like aliexpress for a fraction of the usual price. Probably scam?

>> No.10769761

>>10768974
You know it. I’m in blue camp. I’m gonna be the first person to die at Drachenfest US

>> No.10769799

>>10769562
Yes. Any Chinese, paki, or Indian manufacturer is lying, they'll produce something kind of similar looking out of shit materials with questionable sizing.
You CAN make out ok on something like wish, but only if you're Chinese sized (aka fucking small) and you'll have to live with inferior materials and shit tread/soles if it's footwear.

Avoid unless you're trying to rapidly acquire loaner gear or backup clothes for a long festival event.

>> No.10770176

>>10769799
This. If you buy cheap from indians or chinese you have to consider what you need the thing for. I have bought some helmets I wanted specifically for larps, so they dont need to be actually protective and I could stuff the helms with padding to make them fit.
for REAL helmets I look to eastern europeans

>> No.10770181

>>10770176
turth to be told, indians are really great for riveted mails, got my bishops mantle from them for a really great price and it's quite good. All that slave and child labor pays off in the end.

>> No.10770199

>>10770181
The issue with Indian mail is that you're still getting indian quality control and customer service. 20% chance it's a great deal as advertised, 35% too small or half finished, 35% it's sized for a giant, 10% you never see it.

I'm very happy with my glove, but I only have gloves because I cut up the "mittens" they sent me and had enough mail to armor the back of 8 or so gloves.

>>10769761
Real chance I'll best you to it, I'm on blue team but in red and gold armor. Anticipating at least one friendly fire incident on the first day.

If you suck stick around on Wednesday, my guild got asked to run some training.

>> No.10770214

>>10770199
well obviously you shouldn't buy from random vendors that write on you as "Dear sir knight! I have wonderful business proposition to you great day for your family! See that you are big warrior in need of wonderful armor protection" etc.

But bigger webshops who outsource their stuff for indians are usually a safe bet. You won't get high quality stuff but you get what you are paid for.

>> No.10770342

>>10769324
The problem is, they massively restrict your ability to do combat. Very good for big setpiece stuff that isnt going to be hit much, less great for suits that need to run across a field and punch through a line.

>>10770214
Seconding this, you just have to go to trusted people. About half the bongland reenactment scene all get their riveted maille off of one Indian guy in Delhi, pretty much funded his kids through uni with hauberks alone. Having got some hamata from him, it fits like a glove and is very well made, so definately going to go back when I next need maille for something.

>> No.10770495

>>10770199
Then I’ll be sure to attack anyone I see in gold and red armor while yelling about spies or something

The pass phrase we’ll all use to identify each other will be: “cuckoldry is the thinking man’s fetish”
Just pepper that into your conversations

>> No.10770534

>>10770342
I think Iknow who you're talking about. It's a fucking shame that so many scammers make fake profiles pretending to be him, makes it difficult to point friends his way.

>> No.10770576

>>10770342
>About half the bongland reenactment scene all get their riveted maille off of one Indian guy in Delhi,
yo, hook me up.

>> No.10770583

Can you guys recommend me good sources for practical armor? I've reawoken my interest in knights and HEMA

>> No.10770586

>>10770583
Basically any slav making bohurt kit.

My personal favorites are gutfran armory and forge of svan. Pavel burlakov also does excellent work, but he's in Russia, so the logistics of getting armor from him right now are questionable at best.

GS armor workshop is also really well regarded, but I have no personal experience with them.

>> No.10770593

>>10770583
look around etsy. there are a lot of good slav makers there.
oh and steel-mastery.com. I always use them for coat of plates

>> No.10770777

>>10770576
Habibi Armoury on FB, he's got a couple of different pages so make sure to get the one thats been updated most frequently.

>>10770583
Depends on what period of armour you're looking for. A Norman Knight, a Crusader and a Knight from the Wars of the Roses all require completely different armour.

>> No.10771136
File: 591 KB, 1280x1561, tumblr_d8f926e8632b086d25fa78c89f721915_069c49dd_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

im not sure if this is the best place to ask this but i'm working on a cosplay of florence nightingale from fate and because her uniform clearly draws from actual historical ones so i'd like to be semi accurate when possible. My question is are the pins on her collar and epaulettes based on real ones and if so what/where would be a good place to research that

>> No.10771195
File: 3.27 MB, 10000x7920, H5403-L226498182_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10771136
The collar pins seem to be based on a real pin, but I have no idea about the ones on the epaulettes, since they are more commonly left barren or decorated with bands, not pins.

I would suggest scouring a British uniform book.

>> No.10771697
File: 186 KB, 720x960, dagr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made a dagger and a sheath for it

>> No.10771701

>>10770777
>Habibi Armoury on FB,
Thanks mate!
For my next request: I need a prop made. Anyone know anyone who can make a dead monster in latex or rubber? Vaguley hare-sized.
Oh, and preferably in europe.

>> No.10772399

>>10771136
Paging Gropey

>> No.10772466

>>10770586
>>10770593
Cheers mates.

>>10770777
I really like early sallets, so something around the 15th century.

>> No.10773687

Blue warmaster your shield wall was magnificent and I’m sad I didn’t get to cross blades with you but it was far too comfy watching everyone tire themselves out before fighting us

>> No.10773716

>>10773687
Not going to lie, I spent that entire fight wanting to charge the reserve force solo, but I couldn't abandon my guys.

Tried to roll them into red, but the artillery and auxiliaries on my right didn't want to move so I couldn't. Said fuck it, glorious defeat is good enough. Thanks for the compliment and hope you had fun playing with us

>> No.10774181

For those who went, how was the US Drachenfest?

>> No.10774197

>>10771697
Very nice anon
I recommend you weather the leather a bit were it's most likely to show wear (flat top and bottom ridge) for an even more authentic look

>> No.10774232

Did anyone here go to Drachenfest USA?
What did you think of it?

>> No.10774261

>>10774181
>>10774197
Had a great time. So.lme growing pains, but over the next event or two it'll even out as the players learn to play a fest larp and not a battle game.

And hopefully by year 3 I'll be fine leading so I can spread glorious blue culture everywhere and be a menace.

>> No.10774303

>>10774261
>blue culture
you mean like in the mushrooms?

>> No.10774326

>>10774181
>>10774232
It was great. I thought all the players were going to Americanize it but a ton of people were there for their first larp. I basically just went crazy and tried to break things to see if they’d let me do it and now there are swathes of public intoxication laws named after my character

>> No.10774527

Hey guys. Is there a typology system for axes much like Oakeshott's for swords? I know Wheeler and Petersen have their system for viking axes, but now I'm looking for later types.

>> No.10774550

I summon the Runequest larper!
Any news on your project?

>> No.10774566
File: 291 KB, 1570x1241, helmets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10774550
oh shit thats me. Had a recent burst of inspiration recently so have thrown myself back into it with reckless abandon. Hopefully will get something with some meat on it up on here by the end of next week latest (definately not to just set myself an arbitrary deadline so I'll pull my finger out).

>>10774326
>>10774261
This is actually good to hear, I was fully prepared to just rip into it for being a classic US larp, but if its not too shit maybe it'll pull standards up across the board, who knows.

>> No.10774569

>>10774566
have you talked to chaosium yet?

>> No.10774570

>run part 1 of larp triology in 2020
>get just enough pkayers
>coof in 2021
>arrange for part 2 in 2022. expect most of the previous players to return as they loved it
>get 1/4th the minimum number of players signing up
why even try

>> No.10774591

>>10774570
I know that pain all too well.
>Write small oneshot larp with premade characters
>Have to cancel everything the literal evening before due to coof
>Organize re-run
>Half the original participants cancel including nine out of eleven female roles

But secretly the new cast is more fun than the old one and the extra time was nice for some polishing so I'm not complaining.

Did you manage to find out why the return rate is so low?

>> No.10774604

>>10774591
>Did you manage to find out why the return rate is so low?
No idea. We notice very little engagement from the community in general and they seem to be rather.... what's the english word... hard of getting shit done.
we might also not have it set to the most convenient date, but all the good dates are taken or has us competing with bigger larps.

>> No.10774742

>>10774303
Blue camp. We're the freedom, stories, good times, and unbreakable willpower camp. Morale so high it's (hopefully) infectious, and an in character agreement that we could win the drachenfest by having a good time losing.

Next year there should be more jokes played if all goes well.

>>10774326
>>10774566
There was definitely a risk of that, but a lot of players saw some shit lean in that direction and pumped the breaks. People did pretty ok with adapting to it being a festival and not a battle game by the end. Hopefully they all come back so we have everyone on hand to pass the lesson on to new people.

>> No.10774914

post dragonparty pics

>> No.10774924
File: 1.52 MB, 1080x1657, sea people 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10774569
Not yet, want a full game doc done first to show them.

>> No.10774926

>>10774742
I know what blue camp is, spent there two years. That's why I'm questioning that it has a culture

>> No.10774980

>>10774926
Yes I would call blue camp a disgusting fungus. A terrible plague on Drachenwald and any world, that gets attractive and charming lads to throw away their life and get smoked in limbus. Dastardly dogs the lot of them

>> No.10775098

>>10774980
watching the blue camp going to war is like masturbating with a cheese grater. Slightly interesting but way more painful

>> No.10775722

Sup folks

>>10769324
No, for multiple reasons.
>Cost
>Not suitable for any form of rough terrain
>Huge learning curve for safety and mastery

If you're going to go with stilts, go with drywall stilts. More stable, more accessible, easier to master, and with a wider footprint that allows for greater distribution. Try not to go over 6 in until you get used to them, and of course as mentioned earlier building off the shoulders and head are a great way to expand size.

Stilts are dangerous. 6 inches of lift is all you need to cause yourself major injury or death for both yourself and others. It takes 8 inches to throw off your natural internal balance, and it takes at minimum, 120 hours of practice to be anywhere near safe walking.

This does NOT include learning how to stand and lower yourself safely, learning to fall safely, and most of all, learning to navigate a crowd. Doing it in combat is even further off.

But that's my two cents as both a larper, and a professional circus performer. Take it as you will.

>>10769459
Hot garbage. Save your money.

>>10770214
"Best for you very good my friend!"

>>10771136
>>10771195
>>10772399
It looks like it's based off of late 19th/early 20th century English horse guard jackets. Liberties taken of course.

>>10774181
>>10774232
>>10774261
>>10774326
I'm definitely putting in for next year. Everything I've heard has been good so far.

>>10774566
Bronze age best age.

>> No.10775791

anyone found any more larp bronze weapons?

>> No.10775807
File: 2.32 MB, 2304x4096, P_20170708_154557.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10775722
>Not suitable for any form of rough terrain
overrated and also not true

>> No.10775825

>>10775722
Good to see you're alive Gropes. How's tricks?

>>10775807
>East Euros not following product safety guidelines
Shocked. Shocked I say. Cool costume tho.

>> No.10775831

>>10775722
>I'm definitely putting in for next year. Everything I've heard has been good so far.

Larpthread camp when?

>> No.10775915

>>10775807
But can he do anything without either of those two long poles to help support him?

>> No.10775926

>>10775915
lots of things, apart from attacking others because rules. Seen him climb up steep hills and whatnot and the whole game was in a forest, not on a campsite, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't easy terrain.
Also, just one of those polearms was his.

>> No.10776530

It's fucking weird to me that other than the bearded axe there's nobodies opinions on youtube. Like not even from that skellignton chick that was the poster girl or whatever. Even the official twitter barely has anything. Maybe I'm just an old boomer and I need to do more than "Drachenfest US" in google but I figured that something that gathers such creative people would have a lot more visuals.

Granted it was sketch when I read in their rules that no picture taking was allowed or some shit.

So for those of you who went what was a good/bad/ugly and what would you recommend as a prep for next year based off what you experienced?

>> No.10776546

>>10776530
I assume it's because they've got their own photographers. More LARPs do it like that to prevent shitty pictures coming out, ruining what your LARP looks like.

Shitty lightning, angles, and focus can turn even the best of movie-sets into something smaller than life.

>> No.10776548

>>10776546
No that's definitely the reason they gave and it makes sense but you'd think their social media might have more of those photos posted.

>> No.10776549

>>10776548
right? nothing makes me suspicious of a larp like finding no pics from their previous games

>> No.10776550

>>10776549
Well this IS the first event so there's no REAL previous events, but yeah hopefully their photographers are just lazy and aren't finished movie qualitying everything.

>> No.10776551

>>10776550
for the record, the proper drachenfest puts out the official photos like half a year later, sometimes more, though non official photos pop up even during the event and thousands after the event

>> No.10776554

>>10776548
>>10776530
They have 24000 photos. And video.

Give it time, they have a LOT to go through. Those of us who went have team photos we took after closing ceremony, but I'd expect it to be a whole on official anything. And people are absolutely writing about their experiences, but it's mostly through Facebook and a couple meme pages. Actual serious work isn't happening, mother fuckers are tired and busy with jobs.

>> No.10776571

>>10776554
90% of the stuff people write though is shit.
Like "it was a blast" "I enjoyed it really a lot" "BEST. LARP. EVER." and shit like that. Which people write after every larp, and it's without specifics.
I mean, okay, they enjoyed it, but that won't help anyone decide of what kind of game that was

>> No.10776598

I have to play a monster in a game and would like to change my voice somehow, so I can actually sound scary instead of like a duck, which I usually do.
Any ideas?

>> No.10776757

>>10776530
There’s a dude called Eldritch_Author that did a twitch stream that talked about his experience. It was his first larp and he intuitively understood how to make fun for himself and others.
I was in silver camp and this might go off bad but the skellington girl seemed pretty bored and not into it. I feel like she was mostly just hanging out with people she knew OOG. So you might not get anything interesting from her.
It was also a bunch of new people that just decided to show up because it sounded fun. It’s probably mostly people telling their friends that it was great and waiting for next year.

Prep by bringing lots of booze.
Ugly: some people were so uninteresting in real life their fantasy versions of themselves were even boring. Bad: a lot of peoples characters just knew the correct answer to every situation and did what was most optimal, which leads into Good: I escalated situations so much by making bad decisions that like 5 different huge things happened to me on the first day.

>> No.10776843

>>10776757
>Silver camp
You guys are literally the ONLY camp where I never got past the courtyard.

>Lots of new players
Fucking tons. At LEAST 10% of blue, and I met a few in green despite being at war with them the entire time. Shadows general was a first timer. Not sure about red, but I have little doubt they had a few.

>5 different huge things happened to me on the first day.
....The Incident? Is that you?
>Bad
Yeah, my camp actually agreed in character that we weren't looking to 'win' in a points sense. Thank God, it avoids a lot of silly bullshit.

>> No.10777021

>>10776554
>over 9000 photos
>not even a single all together photo thanking everyone for coming to their event
uh... boss I get what you're saying but like, not a single photo ??

Also Can you name the groups so we can follow said groups?

>>10776551
Oh, well in that case I can understand not releasing 23990 of those photos.

>>10776598
Get some voice distortion modulators and a speaker and put that into your monster head is what I'd do. Like those funny kid toys that make your voice all weird or simply a mic connected to your phone going through some voice changer software and outputted into a speaker coming from some part of you. May be a bit high tech for a larp idk.

>>10776757
based
desu the skellington chick just seemed out and around for clout by checking all the boxes. (POC, woman, SA survivor, ect) and having red like a HUEG dis post about her I never expected much. Thankfully I'm a square so I don't drink but I heard that nobody was buying anything so they ended up giving away free beer just to get rid of it. Actually one complaint I did hear was that nobody was spending money, like bazaars were empty on certain days and tents and housing weren't filled.

Another thing I heard was that people were kinda weak and calling shots that weren't too hard more than expected. Are americans just frail or was this the first time a lot of people touched grass in several years so they weren't expecting to get smacked?

>> No.10777122

>>10776843
I’m in at least two enterprises next year but I’m gonna try to be in silver again so I can help with a strategy besides warfare and banners. After that whole rules change when silver had all the banners they knew they weren’t going to win. Props to the silver avatar for seeming like the pope, because no one had the OOG confidence to IG tell the pope we weren’t winning Jerusalem back this year.

>....The Incident? Is that you?
:^)

>>10777021
Pure conjecture but, maybe the refs being slightly overzealous because of how Americans normally fight. And maybe a little bit of people thinking that line battles were going to be more theatrical

>> No.10777203

>>10776757
>making bad decisions
Always fun until you unwittingly get IC engaged to the princess while also drawing the romantic attention of the BBEG.

Bard memes are real.

>> No.10777243

>>10777122
>because of how Americans normally fight.
badly?

>> No.10777260

>>10777021
>Hard shots
So my camp was involved in.... I think literally all the combat and none of my guys ever complained, nor did we hear if any going the other way. The sole exception was me talking to refs because we had archers lobbing arrows blindly into us, I took 5 eye hits in a 15 minute engagement- with maybe 5 archers.

You had a few hits NOT taken- I had someone try to drumroll my backplate with a dagger while running past, for example. I took the first hit.

>Bazaar
They couldn't sell booze because blue bar was making better drinks for free. >>10777243
Badly or autistically well.

>> No.10777806

>>10777260
>Badly or autistically well.
How is that any different from how Europeans fight?

>> No.10777842

>>10777806
Europe has the lightweight autism US has the heavyweight autism

>> No.10777861

>>10777806
Couldn't tell you, I've only fought a tiny number of yuropoors. But that IS the divide in the US. Dogshit fighters and people who train constantly/hit the gym regularly.

>>10777122
Yeah I'm hoping to actually have time to join a few things next year, or the year after.

>> No.10778210

>>10775722
>English horse guard jackets
Thanks clownbro.

>> No.10778216

200 pics just dropped for drachenfest. Some look okay but most look like the lens was out of focus barely or a video game before you turn the obnoxious bloom off.

>> No.10778368

>>10778216
link?

>> No.10778460

>>10778368
after facebook dot com drop that in.
/110195278226472/posts/pfbid02Mz7aNWAPFCsc32XSQ2Ebc9EnYk1jkQXUNUwkQdwzrCiuVHXbm4Ky9Kg4SZPoE63fl/?mibextid=RvDlAn

>> No.10778543

>>10778460
Thanks.
Isnt the drachenfest lore that the dragons bring in warriors from other dimensions? like players in MTG?

>> No.10778545

>>10778543
Yes, as far as I understand it at least, basically the dragons instead of fighting each other (and destroying the world in the process) summon people from other realms or dimensions to be their champions and fight in their stead. These summons can be already existing characters set to level 1 or new characters.

>> No.10778548

>>10778545
so thats why I have seen redcoats and romans fighting side by side.
how is that in the american fest? I seem to mostly see standard fantasy dudes

>> No.10778550

>>10778548
well it's a fantasy larp, so it's unlikely you're going to see historical reenaction larpers? The standard fantasy dudes are probably peoples characters from their various dnd type games or other larps would be my guess.

Also it's less an america fest and more just the american version of the EU larp known as Drachenfest.

>> No.10778558

>>10778548
It's the same. American larp is almost universally pure fantasy, so you won't see strictly historical kits, aside from the occasional plate harness that's mostly from the same 50 year period, or the odd reenactor showing up.

>> No.10778567

>>10778558
tfw no confederates confusedly bayonetting goblins

>> No.10778575
File: 233 KB, 640x480, dragon pass.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Runequest larp update for anyone interested; frantically juggling writing/balancing it with academic commitments, should have a version 1 posted up early next week ideally. A few bits are going to be missing, mostly an actually nice kit brief because I don't have the time or cash to ape Zweihander's rn, so expect pics ripped from the internet for the meantime.

>>10778567
I've got a real soft spot for games that have fantasy stuff outside of your generic medieval setting. Probably the reason I like WHF so much. Shame most places go for shouting bang or nerf rounds rather than just letting people use caps or blanks.

>>10778550
Feels fucking terrible, IMO starting with a historically accurate base and then adding some fantasy flair produces better kit nine times out of ten compared to copying johnny witcher or slapping a random leather pauldron over a 20 quid pirate shirt.

>> No.10778576

>>10778575
looking forward to see it

>> No.10778665
File: 2.68 MB, 4160x1968, 20220625_181218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750186
Ballista update! Not a very big one, but to be honest none of them are going to be very big from here on out: most of the interesting work has already been completed.

Last week I spent a day doing minor fixes I'd been putting off. Most importantly I got a new axle which is wider than the previous one and can actually properly hold the wheels in place.

Today was just a whole lot of sanding and staining. The undercarriage has received its first of two coatings, and I've also stained the entire box of finnicky bits. That means I'm roughly halfway through sanding and a quarter of the way through staining. If all goes well, I'll at least be able to get a first layer of woodstain on everything tomorrow. I've used just over half of the tin so far though, so I might have to fit a trip to the local hardware store in my schedule too.

I've also commissioned a metal trigger mechanism at my local blacksmith. I walked up to him and told him what I had in mind, and he cheekily responded with "oh I know a better design for that". He's only going to be done with it a week before Drachenfest though, so I'm absolutely going to end up doing some ugly last-minute rigging to get that thing firing. Still beats having to make a load-bearing wooden trigger, I suppose.

>> No.10778897
File: 794 KB, 1303x758, 1435312844770.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

friendly reminder that this pic is now 7 years old

>> No.10778900

>>10778897
And I bet his kit hasn't changed at all.

>> No.10778931

>>10778900
obviously, because it was already perfect

>> No.10779220
File: 3.88 MB, 3024x4032, image_50438145.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10750186
This is where I'm at right now! Not my picture, as evidenced by the fact that it's actually competently taken.

Everything has been sanded and received the first layer of woodstain. You can see some irregularities but a second layer should smooth those out. The hustle and bustle of (dis)assembly has chipped the stain in a few places, but I suppose there's no getting around that. Doesn't look jarring either.

I spent a LOT of time sanding down the projectile guide, since it was pretty irregular up until this point. My arms hurt and my fingers are pretty roughed up from handling so much sandpaper, but the guide is really damn smooth now. I'm content.

One more weekend before it needs to be done! I'm really starting to feel the crunch now. This Saturday, I'm going to stain everything again, then glue a lot of things together. I'll probably end up gluing together a lot less than I initially thought since the thing holds up surprisingly well without it. This Sunday it's minor fixing time. Not sure exactly what I'll be doing but the ballista'll be done by the end of it!

>> No.10779224

>>10779220
Looks great Ballistanon, can't wait to see it finished

>> No.10779246

>>10779220
post video of you shooting it

>> No.10779251

>>10779224
Thanks!

>>10779246
My projectiles are currently about 50km away from my ballista, but if I remember I'll shoot a vid the first time the two are together.

>> No.10779642
File: 99 KB, 564x655, thracian bros.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone happen to have a pattern for a thracian hat lying about?

>> No.10779802

>>10779642
They're pretty much phrygian caps just with long ear tassels, and you can find some patterns for those online. Check w w w .housebarra dot com slash EP slash ep06 slash 16cap.html . I feel your pain though, been looking for a pattern for a thracian for a while but they're impossible to find.

>> No.10779858

>>10779802
thanks, brosef

>> No.10780384

>>10778567
It would be redcoats, but that's Gropey's larp essentially

>> No.10780874
File: 231 KB, 1920x872, nicolo-rivello-helmets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone here have experience with making armor that looks like chitin/exoskeleton? I want to make a hat that looks like a crabshell, but I don't know how.

>> No.10780879

>>10780874
try this

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/real-bonemould-amor.264557/

>> No.10780912

>>10780879
Thanks, that looks great.

>> No.10781728

This thread has been up since the beginning of April. It's been 4 months, how do you do it?

>> No.10781757

>>10781728
Regular posting mostly

>> No.10781811

>>10775722
Where the fuck have you been?

>> No.10782036

>>10781728
first of all we made the thread in April and it's July now, this helps a lot.

>> No.10782198

>>10781728
well cgl is a slow board in the first place so...

>> No.10783395

Alright, its not finished but I feel after fuckin sitting on it on and off for a few months I should at least get some feedback on this abomination of game design. Feel free to rip it to shreds or ask any questions. It's very WIP still, mostly missing art, the entire costume brief and the grand strategy stuff, but the core gameplay is down decently well.

>> No.10783397
File: 755 KB, 468x741, Orlanthi 12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10783395
I'm apparently too braindead to figure out how posting PDFs here works, so use this https:// pdfhost DOT io SLASH v SLASH Av6hi8yuK_RUNEQUEST_LRP

>> No.10783438

>>10783395
Read through it, here's some random thoughts:
>Formatting needs a lot of love.
>Tell me your design goals right at the start of the document please.
>The section "appropriate behaviour" needs to be much further back in the document, get people excited before you tell them what they can't do.
>That section also tries to do social safety, character concept limits, and weapon safety at the same time. Split those up.
>Mass needs a range limit
>Include rules on how to heal cleave damage
>Don't do the "all arrows are super deadly OP" meme please, bows are deadly enough by just doing single damage
>What exactly is someone supposed to roleplay with the unstoppable call?
>Do your armour rules mean you can only get the +1/+2 for a helmet if you first armour the torso? Because they imply a sequence.
>Add a glossary, in my experience a lot of people don't know the meaning of the word physrep
>Explicit rules for carrying people seems overkill to me
>Elmal's rules are fucky since by the time you need to use the unstoppable call you've already broken your shieldwall
>DON'T, full caps necessary, decide the outcome of a ritual before having seen it roleplayed.

>> No.10783441

>>10783395
>>10783397
You could crosspost to >>/tg/85128976 if you haven't already, I don't know if many LARPers are in that thread but you never know

>> No.10783443
File: 334 KB, 738x931, orlanthi 13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10783438
Great feedback Ballistanon, cheers! By design goals do you mean more the nuts and bolts of what playing the game is like, or more the aesthetic it's meant to evoke? I do think the relatively small pool of games I play means that this stuff is very obvious in my head but can do with being explained better on paper. I basically put Mass in to future proof the doc in case I want to throw something big at the playerbase, but you are right, I'll have a think around that one. All the calls and their actual effects I need to clean up a decent amount. Bows is a tricky one. Having just been at an event where I spent all day shooting naked people in the chest with them ignoring it, it's a hard balancing act between really strong and really trash. It is partially there because I hate leather armour and want to force people to get metal stuff . It should be that any armour gives the bonus no matter what else you're wearing, but that can be made more clear, good spot. Glossary is a good call, as is changing Elmal's stuff. It's walking the tightrope between giving cool things depending on God or trait or whatever without blocking off big chunks of the game if you don't spec into that. Finally, yeah the idea with rituals is basically "hey, if you do a super cool fuckin ceremony you get cool benefits" in a way where you can crowbar a lot of different effects in there. In an ideal world I woudnt even have it be "get x people or do it at a shrine", I'd just trust players to want to build little shrines to their god or involve people in a ritual, but sadly that's often not the case.

>>10783441
Broken link anon, but I'm guessing it's gonna be one of the RQ generals, in which case that's a decent idea. Might wait until I sort some more of the costume brief out, show that I'm not here to fuck around aesthetics-wise.

>> No.10783452

>>10783443
whoops, dropped an angle
>>>/tg/85128976
it's the amateur development/homebrew thread, but the RQ general is a good idea, too. amateur dev may be a good start and then head to RQ when it's more fleshed out if you're worried about reception in RQ.

>> No.10783458
File: 63 KB, 427x640, Orlanthi qt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10783452
Good call anon, might have an overall doc cleanup based on >>10783438 's feedback and then throw it into the lion's den.

>> No.10783464

>>10783443
>By design goals do you mean more the nuts and bolts of what playing the game is like, or more the aesthetic it's meant to evoke?
That's up to you, I guess. When I read a rule system, let alone when I make one, I ask "what does this larp want to do?" That can be a wide range of things: a specific aesthetic, a specific gameplay type, a specific mechanic.

For example, here's the goals for the vampire larp larp I'm running this Saturday:
This larp seeks to achieve the following goals:
- Recreate the feeling of the early low-quality Vampire larping from internet horror stories
- Explore and take a critical look at issues that exist within the larp scene even today
- Create a situation where in-game and out-of-game mix in all the wrong ways, which players can experience without actual hurt feelings
- Create copious amounts of drama on multiple levels

>> No.10783467

>>10783464
I forgot two which my secretary will add shortly

>> No.10783470

>>10783467
My secretary is being stubborn after I described him as my secretary, but he's still right that I forgot the follow-up part:

However, note that it is not:
- An accurate reproduction of Vampire larping or the 1990’s in general
- A meme or comedy larp

>> No.10783624

>>10781728
Because it doesn't get shit up with troll and /pol/ posts like on /tg/, but gets enough traffic to stay up unlike /out/.

>>10781811
Without going into blog mode:
1: past two months at work are a bunch of big events/holidays for our museum.

2: wrapping up filming for a PBS production

3: dealing with personal health shit.

4: a couple of family deaths

I hope ya'll are doing ok. I'm thinking of running a show-your-kit contest since we haven't had one in ages.

>> No.10784127

>>10778897
>people still post the image I made in 2 minutes to make fun of the first guy who posted that
I'm extremely flattered

>> No.10784207
File: 62 KB, 406x512, the lunar legions.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10783458
SOON

>> No.10784223

>>10783624
Sucks to hear clownfag. Feel better.

What's the contest?

>> No.10784247

>>10784127
Wait, did someone actually post that thinking it was good kit?

>> No.10784391

>>10784247
either that or I got trolled hard, but people are still posting my picture making fun of him so I choose to believe he actually thought that was a good outfit

>> No.10784555

>>10783624
Condolences. Hope things get better. What's the contest specifics?

>> No.10784770

>>10784391
and to think I was ashamed of my first kit...

>> No.10784773

>>10784247
posted as an example, defended it when called out and shittalked other kits

>> No.10784820

>>10784391
>>10784773
Amazing. Must be a dag or amtgard player.

>> No.10784830

>>10784820
or from one of the hundreds boffer-tag games. At the end, it doesn't really matter, the US guys were always act like they are on several different kind of drugs when it comes to what are larps, or definitions in general.

>> No.10784936

>>10784830
American “larps” are either medieval themed battle games or basically dungeons and dragons but with exercise.

That guy actually has the perfect kit for a battle game. You just need a vaguely medieval “tunic” and then whatever else that will make you more efficient at hitting people with homemade dildos. It’s fun if you just consider it a sport to get exercise on the weekends and wear a wizard hat. But it isn’t a larp it’s a sport because what they consider roleplay is wearing or doing something inefficient.

>> No.10784938

>>10778897
>plastic greaves
>chainmail
>fingerless gloves
oh good, my wip shadowrun/post apoc kit will make me a competent larper

>> No.10786314

anyone ever played in any larps set in a early modern era?
1600-1700AD

>> No.10786317

>>10750186

Is anyone here into Bo staff tricks? I started practicing the basic spin today.

>> No.10786351

>>10786314
Clownfag's larp is literally 1700's fantasy

>> No.10786598

>>10786314
I play in a historical (or at least historical-inspired) larp at the French court in the 1610's twice a year. I've also got a somewhere-ambiguously-in-the-age-of-sail pirate larp coming up this weekend, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to pull a "magic was real all along" on us.

Anything in particular you're looking for?

>> No.10786612

>>10786598
No... Nothing specific. I have just been thinking about how cool such a game could be. But it's a fantasy. I know that it would be impossible to run such a game here because people don't want to make their own clothing anymore and they cant afford to buy new stuff.
I am also really interested in LARP-arquebuses but I never found any that works in a way where you actually have to hit someone with something. We just use bang-caps which just make noise.

>> No.10786689

>>10786351
He wants 17th century, Lost Stories is 18thC.

>> No.10786815

I miss going to my local larp event, i fear its perma kill since the covid meme started
There were no other like it + no warhamfag larping as Karlos Frank or whatever since warham book were never localized kino

>> No.10786881

>>10786815
>"covid meme"
>Anti-warhammer
>"kino"

Kill yourself.

>> No.10786981

>>10786881
The Covid hysteria was a fucking meme, and in 10 years you'll wonder what people were thinking while convincing yourself you weren't one of them.

>> No.10786992

>>10786981
No, anon is right. You should deepthroat a shotgun.

>> No.10787034

>>10786881
looks like I struck a nerve so youre most likely "that guy". I dont hate warham, I love it in fact, I just despise fags that force warham into everything. its not like proper decorum means anything in a larp after all

This is a larp thread so I dunno why you get your pantie twisted so hard over mild banter, which leads me to believe youre that one terminal warhamfag at larps that always have a nuclear meltdown because his powertrip/metagaming high elf swordmaster of hoeth commander oc got walloped by John Smith the Warrior version 68732

>> No.10787132

>>10787034
Kill yourself.

>> No.10787134

>>10787132
Nah xir, im not hrt unlike GW new clientele

>> No.10787184

>>10786981
>>10787034
>>10787134
Holy hell are you pathetic. I don't even have a dog in this fight.

>> No.10787200

>>10787034
Whatever, fag.

>> No.10787211

>>10787034
Are you 14?

>> No.10787329

>>10786992
Have fun with your anger issues when you start to realize you shut yourself inside for the better part of a year for no other reason than having been browbeat into the decision, anon.

>> No.10787336

>>10787329
Ok retard.

>> No.10787687

why are all of you getting your panties in a bunch? The gulls won't have sex with you just because you're telling someone who doesn't agree with The Current Thing on a mongolian basket weaving forum to kill themselves.

>> No.10787706

>>10787687
everyone is a retard on a 4chan but in different flavour. No idea why anyone would be surprised about this.

Also, we are in autosage and drachenfest is soon, so there is a new thread

>>10787705

>>10787705

>> No.10787734

>>10787687
A deadly global pandemic isnt a political opinion, retard.