[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 423 KB, 1024x1024, B4A2EE46-ACF0-4D19-8D30-AE92AC03DBAE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10730369 No.10730369 [Reply] [Original]

Thread to vent, share your ideas, and experiences being a loner lolita.

>> No.10730377

A lot of my coworkers and friends are goth/alt/whatever so they already kind of knew what lolita was, but it'd be nice to have someone to talk coords and brands with. Also this might sound shallow but I wish I had friends so I could sell/buy dresses without dealing with LM bullshit.

>> No.10730378

>>10730369
Some starters questions

>Do you wear lolita in public or at home?

>what special occasions do you plan for yourself as, a single person meet?

>Do you meet Lolita friends online?
>Have you ever planned a visiting or a virtual interaction? (Discord, zoom, Other)

> How do you handle being outside a lolita comm? Are there benefits? (Pros & cons)

>What’s your balance of life being a lonelita? Is it easier for your availability/age/Physical/mental/etc?

>> No.10730394

Both

I'm a lifestyler. I don't need a special occasion or outing to wear it.

I've found a few lolitas via the friend finder thread and met several on social media. Unfortunately we all live too far from to meet in person.

>Have you ever planned a visiting or a virtual interaction? (Discord, zoom, Other)
No, I think we'd all agree we'd prefer to meet in person. We want to meet eventually but you know how life gets.

> How do you handle being outside a lolita comm? Are there benefits? (Pros & cons)
I love it! My local comm is full of itas and SJW NPCs. Most are fascists, racists, and self-absorbed pessimists. They only wanted superficial relationships and it was very draining interacting with them. I was constantly embarrassed to be seen with the itas and troons. The only con is that there's no one to dress up with in person so no cute group photos.

>What’s your balance of life being a lonelita? Is it easier for your availability/age/Physical/mental/etc?
Much easier being a lonelita. No struggling to find meets that work with my schedule, no walking on eggshells or faking friendships, no secondhand embrassment, and no drama!

>> No.10730408

>>10730369

In public. I don't dress up at home, but I've been working on loli-fying my house clothes

I wear it whenever the mood strikes me, not just for special occasions. I'll literally put together a full OTT coord for going to walmart and the laundromat. I'm not quite a full-time lifestyler because I wear and love other fashions as well (primarily punk, insta baddie thot stuff, and sleazecore... I'm into a weird combo of styles) so I just wear lolita whenever.

>Do you meet Lolita friends online? Have you ever planned a visiting or a virtual interaction? (Discord, zoom, Other)
I have a few lolita friends that live in my region. We're all "veteran" lolitas who aren't interested in comms full of random people any more. Mostly we chat online but sometimes we'll plan little get togethers.

> How do you handle being outside a lolita comm? Are there benefits? (Pros & cons) What’s your balance of life being a lonelita? Is it easier for your availability/age/Physical/mental/etc?

I was in a comm about 15 years ago. It was fun to see other girls in the fashion, but there was always drama between other girls. And a few members were super sjws, the type to tell you off for saying something was "crazy" or "lame" bc those are ableist. It was annoying. The itas were embarrassing and sometimes disgusting. I also found it really tedious to have to always be friendly to people I didn't like, and over all it just wasn't a good experience.

Nowadays I travel a lot for work, and I often work on the weekends so I wouldn't be able to go to meets anyway. And I'm much happier just doing my own thing. I don't even use social media. Part of what attracted me to lolita in the first place was how independent the style/icons like Momoko are. Wearing what you want because you enjoy it is the key element.

>> No.10730423

>>Do you wear lolita in public or at home?
In public mostly, sometimes dress up at home.

>>what special occasions do you plan for yourself as, a single person meet?
Consider myself a lifestyler/daily, so if I'm going out I'll be in lolita. Unless it's just for a quick 15 min run around my neighborhood for groceries or errands.

>>Do you meet Lolita friends online?
I have about two people I met on Instagram that I actually consider friends but we live too far from eachother to meet.

>>Have you ever planned a visiting or a virtual interaction? (Discord, zoom, Other)
No, I've never enjoyed any sort of webcamming or Zooming unless it's with family.

>> How do you handle being outside a lolita comm? Are there benefits? (Pros & cons)
Aside from swap meets (so I can sell stuff without LM), I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything. My local comm is very cringe.
I treat the fashion as a fashion I guess, so they're just clothes that make me happy and I don't necessarily need a community to give me any sense of belonging. If friends come along the way, cool but I also won't go out of my way to make them.

>>What’s your balance of life being a lonelita? Is it easier for your availability/age/Physical/mental/etc?
I move around a lot so there was never enough time to really get close to any lolitas I do manage to meet irl. As an introvert I'm glad I don't have to stress about making small talk with people at meets or just pretending to be friends with people in general. Mentally, not being involved is just easier, I just like wearing the clothes and making coords. Not going out to do fancy teas often also helps save more money lol

>> No.10730456

>>10730378

in public. i wear lounge clothes if all im doing is sitting at home. i do sometimes wear lolita when my partner and i have a "date night in"

"single person meet" is such a weird way to say this. i wear lolita on weekends, usually with my partner or with a friend. most of my friends do not wear lolita but i will still wear it when i am with them.

not really. i don't go out of my way to befriend other lolitas.

i belong to my comm's discord but i'm not active and have never been to one of their virtual meets. mostly i stay connected with my comm to arrange local pickup of things i buy or sell because i rarely want to deal with LM

the social aspect of the hobby is not an area of interest. i went to some meetups when i was younger but it really didn't interest me so i stopped going. my enjoyment comes from buying and wearing the clothes, keeping up with releases, things like that--i'm not really interested in the other people who share my interest.

these days my local comm is also much younger and more social-media focused than me. i don't think we have much in common. they seem to be having a good time but i don't feel any drive to join them.

it's really just easier. honestly i kind of side-eye people who NEED a comm in order to enjoy the hobby. it kind of makes me wonder how much they intrinsically enjoy the fashion

>> No.10730489

Both. I have a hectic work schedule right now and don't get much time to myself outside of weekends (and everything but grocery stores are closed on Sundays here) so it's been mostly at home the last few months.

I don't really need an occasion, but I usually get dressed up if I'm visiting with my best friend, or if I'm just feeling a little down that day and need a pick me up.

None that I really talk to frequently.

No. I've taken part in one or two but group video calls are annoying imo

I was a member of the local comm here when it first started back in the lj days and I think if it were still like that I'd miss it more. I've met a few of the current members but the comm as a whole is very big on utilizing fb for everything and the moment I say I don't use it the convo tapers off so my impression is that there's a lot of emphasis on "clout" now. I'm happy enough without the stress but I miss the small meets.

As mentioned above, I work a lot. Trying to fit meets and comm events into my schedule would be difficult, and I frequently go a whole week without even checking my phone. On the other hand, I wish I could send a quick "hey, is this too much?" or "would these shoes match this coord idea?" to someone who would get it. My normie friends are amazing but they're completely clueless about anything lolita and default to the "you/it look/s great!" because they just haven't researched and exposed themselves to it like someone with an actual interest does.

>> No.10730495

I was a lonelita for years and recently joined my local comms discord and started going to virtual meets. We haven't had any in person ones yet. Honestly I still don't feel like I belong to the comm, rather I just feel like I now have a bunch of online acquaintances who also wear the fashion.

While it's nice to have the social aspect for when I want it, I definitely preferred being a lonelita. The people in my comm are nice enough but most of them are the kind who don't ever wear it outside of meets or cons. Actually wearing the clothes is secondary to the community aspect to them whereas for me the dressing up, hunting for and selecting pieces, putting together and wearing fun outfits is my hobby more than talking to strangers on discord who put on a coord maybe 3 times a year. I'm much happier wearing the fashion and going about my day on my own, rather than stressing about planning or going to meets, who is going to show up, is it going to get cancelled etc.

If I do make friends then great, but I'm fine just wearing it by myself and interacting with the comm whenever I feel like it. Like >>10730456 I also kind of side-eye people who need a comm to wear the fashion. Ironically its those people who wear the fashion the least that are the most active in online spaces. It feels like they just want people to talk to that share their hobbies more than they actually want to wear the fashion, which is fine but just not me. I've been wearing the fashion for myself long before I joined any comm, and I'll be wearing it long after I leave it.

>> No.10730497 [DELETED] 

>>10730378
Mostly at home, sometimes in public

Dinner with non-lolita friends

>>Have you ever planned a visiting or a virtual interaction? (Discord, zoom, Other)
no

>> How do you handle being outside a lolita comm? Are there benefits? (Pros & cons)
I've never been in a comm, so I can't compare

>>What’s your balance of life being a lonelita? Is it easier for your availability/age/Physical/mental/etc?
I don't want to associate with itas

>> No.10730499

>>10730378 #
Mostly at home, sometimes in public

Dinner with non-lolita friends

No, but I do /cgl/ secret santa

no

I've never been in a comm, so I can't compare

I don't want to associate with itas

>> No.10730552

>Do you wear lolita in public or at home? In public. Generally you’ll find me in pyjamas or comfy clothes at home.

I’m lucky to live in a city with lots of cute cafes so I’ll wear it to those. Sometimes I’m alone, sometimes I go with my significant other or friends. I’ll also wear it out to dinner or (classy) bars. Things like that.

I have this one friend that really likes when I wear lolita so we’ll often go for afternoon tea together.

No. I’ve never really been active in communities or social media other than for sales.

No, see above. I also hate being on webcam, so I don’t do it unless I have to for work or something.

I used to be in my local community and had a small group I would meet with often, but gradually that fizzled out as we moved on with our lives.

The community’s still very active with newer members but I just don’t think I need that kind of social interaction anymore. I’m content dressing up for myself and hanging out with my existing friends, doing things that match my interests and budget.

When I was younger and new to the city, being in the community was really good for me. Im pretty introverted, so it got me out of the house and interacting with people for reasons other than work. I met some nice people and learned about some cool places I might not have found otherwise.

I guess I just grew out of needing that over time.

>> No.10730582

I work 8hrsday/5daysweek in pjs and wear egl on the weekends when my time actually belongs to me.

Literally any weekend activity so crafting days, drawing days, coffee shops, supply shopping, park walks.

Yeah I first found a group online and later joined my local comm’s discord. It’s noncommittal social interaction, which works for me.

Not yet, too busy. If other people are holding something of interest I try to join in if it fits my schedule.

I actually do try to visit local comm events, but they are so few and far between. In any case, bc of where I live my comm has more mature and smart lolitas so I suspect the meets are of higher quality than some other comms.

I love the culture mainly for how fun it is for my creative/frankly autist brain, I don’t need a comm but it’s nice to meet other folks and maybe be a positive influence.

>> No.10730645

>>10730495
>Ironically its those people who wear the fashion the least that are the most active in online spaces. It feels like they just want people to talk to that share their hobbies

i'm >>10730456 and this is exactly how i was. i got into lolita as a teen on LJ and was much more active there because i didn't have enough money to participate to the length that i wanted to, so engaging socially felt like a supplementary way to participate. once i had a disposable income and could actually wear more of what i wanted and more often, i pulled out of the community aspect entirely. just didn't need it anymore.

>> No.10730647

In public. PJs are too comfy to give them up.

I am a lifestyler, I only wear normie outfits for special occasions.

I chat a lot with some other lolitas, it's fun! I wouldn't be a lonelita if I could live in their city.

Briefly. I'm too awkward to do it regularly.

My city's comm is full of women 15+ years older than me, so I have nothing to talk about with. They are also into OTT sweet and such, so it's not like we could bound through lolita either. I wear lolita with my normie friends and they give 0 fucks, matching fashions is totally irrelevant to me.

Communities stress the fuck out of me, fake relationships and dramatic people scare me. I am really happy with the few, great lolita friends I have online.

>> No.10730911

>>10730378
Both, I am a lifestyler and wear it pretty much any time I feel like wearing clothes. I do sometimes wear casual goth or emo outfits when lolita isn't appropriate but my wardrobe is 90% lolita.

Sometimes I take myself out for tea or lunch, just to have an excuse to dress extra fancy and treat myself. Every year on my birthday I always wear a very special coord and take myself out, and whether it ends up that I'm coordinating a new peice or going extremely OTT just to celebrate, it's always a fun way to spend my birthday.

I don't "meet" them but I have a few online friends who also wear the fashion. We are all too far away from each other to meet.

Nope. It could be fun with the right people tho, might suggest this to my online friends.

It makes me feel a little lonely sometimes but it also makes me feel somewhat special, as there is no comm here. I am the only active lolita in the area and it seems mostly positive, as I never deal with drama and while its a bit lonely as I mentioned, I don't particularly need others to enjoy my clothes.

It's definitely easier to be a lonelita and a loner in general as someone with a disability and a pretty fucked up mental space due to them. I would hate to be the person always having to cancel going to meets because of embarassing shit like mental breakdowns and motor control issues. I feel very embarassed being an adult that can barely use utensils or do buttons by myself, I'm happier being alone so I don't have to explain this stuff to other people.

>> No.10733541

In public. But I have frilly roomwear to wear at home.

I don’t really do that. I don’t enjoy being outside by myself so I just wear lolita when I go out with my normie friends or when I need to run errands.

I tried but it didn’t work. It’s difficult to be friends with someone just over text. Not to mention most lolitas online are from a different culture.

No, I don’t like video chatting in general.

I can’t tell you anything about pros as I never been in a comm but I do feel a bit lonely and seeing other comms and their activities onlime makes me very jealous.

Actually I think it is harder for me mentally because I don’t have many friends and weak social relationships in general. Going out somewhat regularly and feeling some kind of belonging to something would have helped probably.

>> No.10733557

admittedly, i haven't worn lolita in a hot minute because i gained weight. But i have been to two comm meet ups and I have decided it's not for me. I saw a lolita out in the wild and i really want to start making lolita my primary choice of clothing from now on for the few times i do actually go out. It's just so beautiful and stands out in the most beautiful way possible. I wear gothic so i don't really get that much attention when i wear lolita anyways. I feel so good about myself when I wear a pretty outfit.
Lastly, a lot of comms are filled with sjws and i know i won't be able to shut my terf mouth around them.

>> No.10733569

In public; plain simple coords for work; will get a little fancier for going out.

I'm lucky enough to live in a place that has a local jfashion shop, so I sometimes plan a special trip out there and I'll dress a little extra.

I only interact with lolitas online here or in private chats with lolitas I met back in the days when I was active in my comm.

I've toyed with the idea but I quit all of my egl fb groups about 6 months ago and I'm not in a big hurry to join the jfash discord for my area.

Pros: I like wearing my clothes on a daily basis (I paid enough, so I'm'a wear 'em). There's zero pressure to look perfect at work. I'm surrounded by normies; every one loves my coords, and I can wear sensible shoes and no wig because they don't know any better. My boss mentioned to me the other day, "You are always matching! How are you always matching?"
Cons: there is a part of me that misses comm life, but everyone went batshit crazy during covid. So I'm just going to do my own thing for a little while.

I'm a fatty chan, which used to make lolita difficult, but it's so much easier now, and with my body type, proper lolita looks more flattering on me than normie clothes. I'm also older than everyone else I know who wears lolita. I think that works in my favor, though, because I'm not self-conscious about dressing differently. I don't take pics of my daily coords. I did that for about two weeks into lonelita and then it became tiresome, because part of the reason to go it alone was to wear the clothes without the pressure.

>> No.10733625

I wear it in public. I always think about dressing up at home but ultimately I just like wearing casual stuff at home.

I go out with my bf, does that still count as lonelita? He doesn't wear jfash

No

I think it's easier right now. Something I thought was a "pro" was that being in a comm kind of insulated you from people, like if you're not the only wearing it in public you are less weird.. but I realized over time this isn't true and actually sometimes people approach you more.
It's also nice to have special occasions to dress up for, but I go out with my bf a lot and it's more pleasant than comm meets with people I might not like, insane sjws and drama etc
Also I feel less pressure to be perfect - I'll wear comfy shoes or no petti, etc.
One con is that I kind of miss being forced to make "perfect" coords but I could always do that online, for the most part I see no benefit in being in a comm at this time and many negatives.

Another thing is that my local comm rarely wear lolita in public it's mainly at meets which I thought was strange because I've always worn it in public even when doing participating in the comm.

>> No.10733630

>>10733569
What sort of simple stuff do you like to wear for work?

>> No.10733690

>>10733630
By "simple" I mean that I only wear the basics: dress, blouse, small petti, headpiece, otks, and I have some orthotic Mary Janes, but I might also wear white tennies occasionally. No jewelry nor extra hair accessories, no makeup, no wig. I have a rather large collection of bags and that's a big part of the fun of dressing for work. If it's chilly, I have about a dozen cardigans to choose from. Unlike >>10733625, I need to wear the petti daily because that's part and parcel of why it flatters me better than normie clothes. I have a variety of brands and price points in my wardrobe, from things like AP's Honey Cake and Meta's Twinkle Journey all the way down to cheap BL and Taobao. I wear most of it, although there's a few pieces I won't wear for various reasons (two of my Lady Sloth pieces I've deemed too fancy, as well as my TF pieces, and two of my other indie brand skirts because the prints are inappropriate to the nature of my work).

>> No.10733693
File: 54 KB, 445x750, tumblr_my04gbcwRJ1rrue9uo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10733630
another worklita chiming in, my style is pretty simple/toned down by lolita terms already. picrel (not me) is something i'd wear to work or in general, accessories are minimal and hair/makeup would be simple. like >>10733690
you do have to wear a small petticoat because otherwise the skirts just look deflated and hang wrong

>> No.10733706

>>10730378
At home only if I want to take Coord pics. I like to wear cute pajamas all day, so no Lolita at home.

I like getting my books, drawing materials and journal and getting to a nearby park to spend some time alone with the green scenery. Sometimes I like going to museums to see the latest expositions, but mostly that. I prefer to spend time away from crowds.

Nah. I talk to one or two friends via blog and social media, but we never meet.

I've been to two meetings like this ready, but I don't enjoy it. I get too self aware seeing my face all the time and having to pretend that I like and enjoy everyone's company.

I feel that the biggest disadvantage is when you start dreaming about attending big meetings like those we see organized by brands out there. Selling our things is harder too when we are outside a comm.
But then, if I had a nice comm nearby it would also be a disadvantage not being able to interact with nice and enthusiastic friends that also enjoy this fashion.

But, as my comm is composed of mostly cosplayers and sweetfags that have never even opened a GLB or read anything about the fashion past some Instagram bullshit, I'm at no loss. The main benefit is that I don't have to pretend to enjoy anyone's company, I can do the kind of errand I enjoy, I am never involved in any drama and I don't have to pose besides maid kawaii cosplayers and have my pics circulating out there with these people.

That's the most important part for me. It's much easier for me, as I'm far from being an extrovert.

>> No.10733707

>>10733706
>my comm
Ugh, I mean, the local comm*
I've long stopped interacting with them.

>> No.10733733

>>10733693
I could never wear anything that closely lolita looking to work. I'm glad girly fashions exist now, because I can get away with those

>> No.10733745

Public.
I usually drag my roommate out with me because I find going out (aside from chores) on my own depressing even out of lolita lol but we'll get brunch, go to museums, go to farmer's markets, shopping and etc. She doesn't wear lolita.
Nah
Nope
I live in a major fashion city so although you definitely get looks in the residential areas people really don't care most of the time and aside from ignoring random guys making a comment here and there I've never had problems. I'd rather hang out with friends I already get along with wearing lolita as just my normal clothes, the same as anyone would, than make excuses to hang out with randoms I otherwise wouldn't have anything in common with. I have been to comm meets before in the past in various different states I've lived in, and I never had a *bad* experience, but it's always a little awkward because no one really has anything to talk about in earnest.
I've been in the fashion for about a decade now so I have a sizable wardrobe built up and can generally buy as I see fit here and there. I don't work a job where I can wear lolita as I do very physical work most of the time and it would be too cumbersome, so I mostly wear it on the weekends. Lately I just haven't had the energy to go out though so I've been up and down in terms of wearing frequency, and I'm starting to have a pile of unworn pieces I've bought, lol. I do enjoy being able to just do things at my own pace and not have to worry about comm/SM group drama.

>> No.10733775

>>10733693
This outfit is gorgeous. Sadly still too much for my work life but maybe I will get there someday

>> No.10736498
File: 13 KB, 403x403, 1643910652862.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i don't want to be a lonelita but every time i try to befriend other lolitas online it just turns into them complaining nonstop about being too tall or fat or ugly or poor for the fashion. it is so depressing to be around

>> No.10736501 [DELETED] 

>>10736498
Post in the friend finder thread and say you don't want those types to contact you.

>> No.10736535

>>10736498
Are they really other lolitas, then? Or are they wannabes who don't have any clothes yet?

>> No.10736545

>>10736535
usually it's taobaolitas with sour grapes. i want to just have people to talk about brand releases with without getting guilt tripped or judged i guess.

>> No.10736546

>>10736498
Why are you only befriending fat ugly poor girls?

>> No.10736567

>>10736545
i met one of those recently and she kept trying to "convert" me.

>> No.10736574

The influx of Lonelitas is the reason why cgl has become so miserable in the last few years. Change my mind

>> No.10736576

>>10736546
it's not on purpose </3

>> No.10736579

>>10736498
>>10736545
I know exactly what you're talking about. I tried to meet other lolitas but a lot of them are so depressing to be around. Any time I want to share something I'm excited about buying the conversation gets turned into their judgement and self pity. Either they're too fat for it, they can't afford it or they would buy it but can't imagine wearing it out because to them all brand is so delicate it'll burst into flames if you actually wear it like clothes.

I've just accepted I'm probably not going to be friends with those people and learned to only start conversations with the girls who I know own lots of brand that they fit into and wear often.There's just more in common to talk about and they don't make every conversation miserable because of their sour grapes.

>> No.10736634

Out in public mostly. If i'm at home i'm comfy over pretty.

Holidays, birthdays, seasonal events and the like. Also local events like garden shows or farmers markets.

Nope.

Also nope.

Never been in a comm, so I wouldn't know. I like being able to change my mind about what i want to do whenever. You don't get that a lot with groups.

>What’s your balance of life being a lonelita? Is it easier for your availability/age/Physical/mental/etc? I have a small wardrobe but I also have other fashions i enjoy so it doesn't dominate my life. I have a desk job, but I don't actually want to wear lolita to work, even toned down.

>> No.10736658

Both, but at home it's really more like lounging about in my comfiest jsks without all the other bells and whistles

I try to wear it whenever I go out with my bf, doesn't have to be a particularly special occasion per se. I don't commit as hard as the lifestylers do to doing errands and such though.

I pass time in online groups but I wouldn't say I'm friends with anyone in particular.

Nah, I work remotely so that's more than enough for me. I don't need it screwing up my hobbies.

Never been a part of a comm and I've never understood the benefit of being in one. Considering how little I have to say to people outside of my profession and industry, I can't really see conversations and relationships going much farther than a really surface level based on something as superficial as a fashion hobby.

It's only been getting better as I get older. I think that if I get into the maker/creative side of the fashion I'll want to connect with other makers but from an enthusiast pov I think it's much better to not be involved with a comm.

>> No.10736677

Mostly in public, occasionally at home

I don't really - but I wear lolita for normal stuff, like brunch or coffee with friends, or going out for dinner. The most negative comment I've ever had from my friends was "Oh, I thought you were going to dress fancy for this" when I wore a more casual coordinate to the theatre.

Sort of through Instagram? But it's mostly the odd message about superficial fashion stuff

No

I used to be part of the local comm in my 20s, and I've met some great friends through it. I've also had awesome times with lolita meets when I travel and when I was living in other countries. But it really feels like it's something for people in their teens and early 20s. it gets more difficult and feels creepy to connect with high schoolers and students once you've been working a professional job for a few years.

It is nice having friends that understand the fashion for things like opinions on a new release, refining outdoors etc, but many of my friends stopped wearing lolita 5 years ago, and I honestly don't miss that too much as I can just look on social media most of the time.

Definitely makes it easier just doing my own thing. Lolita fashion has actually been a big influence on my life outside work (which is most of my week...) and even my self confidence. It's why I started sewing, why I got more into fancy tea, and it matched up well with an interest in vintage fashion and alt fashion in general.

>> No.10736917

Public. Wearing at home seems pointless and people who do that are usually social media types looking to post coord photos

I usually go do something cool with my friends or gf, but sometimes I do wander around the parks in my city to take photos

Nah

Nah

Dislike my comm because there's a lot of attention grabby histrionic types. Or just rude and autistic which bothers me a lot

People who need comms are weird like >>10730456 said. Just exist for yourself

>> No.10737083

I personally love it! I have a handful of lolita friends but we don’t have a comm and occasionally see eachother. I usually dress up alone when doing errands and going out with the bf

>> No.10743259

There's a lady I see around my small town a lot in my town that does Lolita. Her dresses look really good and I've wanted to ask her for awhile now if I could take a picture but Im not sure how to approach.

>> No.10743265

>>10743259
Just be nice: "Excuse me, I love your coord. Would it be okay if I take a photo of you?" If they say no, thank them for their time and move on.
I've had people ask for photos when I'm in lolita by myself and I'm more likely to say okay if they're polite about it :)

>> No.10743318

>>10743259
If you're a man, don't.

>> No.10743360

>>10736917
> "social media types"

so many people do this now desu. not everyone wants to be screamed at in public.

>> No.10743372

>>10730378
In public. I like to be comfy at home. Only rarely I have dressed up to take pictures or something but I don't have much of a social presence online so there isn't a point to that either.
I don't, I just wear it when I go out with (non lolita) friends if I feel like it.
No
No
I used to be in a comm when I was young and I loved it there, I moved out and didn't bother reestablishing anything because meets were no longer organized via forums but via FB groups and I don't use FB, simply. So it gives me another layer of privacy to not be in a comm I think. Strength comes in numbers when it comes to being harrassed in the street though.
Related to the last question, though I miss specific events like picnics and tea parties, flipping through GLBs together and having other members take your pictures without looking narcissistic (like when I ask one of my normie friends), after the event I would compare myself with everyone else in the pictures and it was awful for my self esteem. Not my coords, but my looks. I remember newer pretty members joining in and being favored for photoshoots and I didn't have the self esteem at the time to handle being with other lolitas. I had fun at the meet and then at home I would cry. I was MUCH younger then so I don't think it would affect me now, but since I'm fine being the only one I can compare myself to nowadays, why fix something if it isn't broken.

>> No.10743506

>>10743259
Tbh just take up as little of her time as possible. I don't mind people stopping me when I'm in lolita if I know they have good intentions, but it's still a little annoying because I'm usually rushing somewhere or with a friend.
Also unironically this >>10743318 whether I say yes to pictures depends on my mood but a man by himself would get an instant no from me most days.

>> No.10743549

>>10743259
just leave her alone, why do you have to make a big deal about it

>> No.10743572

>>10743259
"lady" so you're a weirdo then

>> No.10743648

>>10736498
I went to a meet up and one girl would not stop talking about dieting and being unable to fit into her stuff. She kept making comments about my body being small. It was so uncomfortable to be around. Other people were actively contributing to the conversation too.

>> No.10743662

>>10730369
Fucking Christ, there must be somewhere around 4 Lolita threads in the catalog. Why can't you people stick to one of those?

>> No.10743664

>>10743662
because this is the lolita fashion board

>> No.10743675

>>10743662
Newfag

>> No.10743743

>>10743675
blame the anti-coomer shit and a LOT of drama for this board being the way it is

cosplay of characters and things is the rare thing of the COSPLAY & EGL board

Lolita is where its ALL AT

>> No.10743746
File: 197 KB, 354x276, 1549663620422.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10730369
>nomadic lolita
Oof, you just made me think of the pussy sweat stench of a nomadic lolita after riding on horseback for days without taking a shower. The pink coord with touches of brown from the dirt and body sweat. Oof.

>> No.10743777

>>10743743
>anti-coomee shit
this is a blue board
>LOT of drama
as if cosplayers aren't just as bad if not worse

cosplay talk has slowed down because cons themselves have slowed down due to 2+ years of no cons and restrictions
lolita itself has experienced a boost of popularity so its being talked about more

>> No.10743883

>>10743662
Cosplsyer?

>> No.10743885

>>10730394
>They only wanted superficial relationships
>I was constantly embarrassed to be seem with the itas
But they're the superficial ones you say?

>> No.10743898

>>10743885
doesnt this make sense though? if the main thing you have in common with someone is a mutual hobby, and the two of you are at vastly different levels of skill and interest within the hobby, it's unlikely that you'd have much to connect over

>> No.10744519

Just here to say that I'm so happy to have left my old comm to become a lonelita.
I'm still in their server, and today someone proposed a meeting. Among the 8 people talking, 6 were men, and 5 of them have never used a Coord. Good riddance.

>> No.10745015

>>10743898
i can understand this and have been in the same situation. lots of itas are nice, but without being good at lolita, a bunch of them are just your typical weebs. nice friends if you're into going to cons and watching anime but i'm not.

>> No.10745328

>>10743648
Awkward af. Also kinda rude when you don't know someone already.

>> No.10745337

>>10745328
It was extremely rude and made multiple people in the group uncomfortable. She was saying stuff like "your so tinyyy!! I cant fit into most of my lolita right now. I'm on a diet but its not working :(" and she kept staring at me. It was so offputting. Meetups shouldn't be a place for that kind of discussion. I don't think about my body and i dont diet so i didn't know how to respond to any of it. I havent gone to a meetup since. This happened before covid, so maybe she lost weight or left the comm by now.

>> No.10745399

>>10745337
Meanwhile if you discuss being thin, there's outrage and you risk a ban from the comm. But skinny privilege amirite

>> No.10745541

Just at home ATM. I don't own many pieces yet, so I just do it for cute's sake for now.

When I finally get the guts together to go out, I was thinking of going to a museum first. After that, it will just kind of depend on how I feel. Not sure if I could do any sort of food, though, I'd be so afraid of it getting on my clothes!

Nah. I mostly keep to my personal circle of friends online.

I would consider it if they somehow worked into my schedule without issue. Never done one otherwise.

Having not been in a lolita comm myself, here's what I've noticed.
Pros:
- I honestly would sit in the corner at a comm meetup, anyway, so might as well skip that step for the time being.
- Honestly, just walking around at home in what I do have for now is just... cute. It makes me feel adorable, and it's just helping me feel better for now.

Cons:
- I only really have 1 person to talk to about it, and it's kinda short and sweet due to limited knowledge. He has a friend who also has interest in the fashion, but I'm too awkward to try and converse.

Outside of beginner's issues, I'm a lonelita due to work/life balance, so this helps a lot. A lot of my comm does weekend meetups, and I can forget about asking for a weekend day off without a long-ahead notice. So I'm better off just doing this on my own, DESU.

>> No.10745599
File: 7 KB, 250x250, 1591948454800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is gonna sound kind of pathetic, but how do you gulls make yourselves dress in lolita? I've had a pretty competent bxw, simple gothic wardrobe for about a decade now but have only mustered it to wear it out a handful of times. With classes taking up most of the week and my major being often messy it's not really practical. I luckily have a job that let's me dress up a little so I was thinking about starting to get some more old school stuff. How do you keep yourself motivated to wear lolita? any tips for more casual practical wear?

>> No.10745671

>>10745337
So gross. Also, it could have been even more inappropriate if (for example) you had been recovering from an eating disorder. I can see why you never went back.

>> No.10745675

>>10730378
I mostly wear it when I go out, if I’m at home I’m in comfy clothes.

>What special occasions do you plan for yourself as a single-person meet?
Not much, honestly. Especially since 2020. I’m hoping to try out a tea place this year, maybe even visit a few nice antique shops. Nothing wild.

>Do you meet (have?) lolita friends online.
Yes, but only a couple.

>Have you ever planned a virtual visit?
Not really, no. I’m not interested in dressing up just to sit at my computer.

>How do you handle being outside a lolita comm? Are there benefits?
It’s easier to be alone, in my opinion. I don’t want to have to pretend to be friends with people I may only share one interest in common with. And to be honest, being in a comm is a good way to be stuck with itas.

>What’s your balance of life being a lonelita?
Fine, I guess? I mean, my life is a mess, but at least lolita isn’t causing me trouble.

>> No.10745691

>>10745599
I like to plan visits to museums, cafes, etc on my days off. I feel a little awkward if I'm just like wearing a full coord to the grocery store but coming up with fun things to do makes me want to dress up.

>> No.10745746

>>10745599
I like to plan my outfits and then find things to wear them to. I find the outfit planning motivates me to find an event, occasion or even just to make the effort to go out. For more casual wear and practical considerations, choose a dress that's comfortable and not too elaborate, and accept that boring shoes without heels tend to be more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I also make sure there's nothing uncomfortable or super dangly/drapey as I get annoyed with that. For example, I'll go for a bow on a headband over a rectangle headdress that has ties, smaller rings and earrings rather than statement or dangly styles, I will avoid giant princess sleeves, and often choose below-knee socks or tights rather than above-knee which I find fall down a lot. That being said, you can still make a reasonably nice looking outfit, even if you want it to be more practical.

>> No.10745783

>>10736579
>>10736498

Fucking this. Last meet I attempted to go to there was a girl, who honestly looked great in her amazing handmade Lolita, and she kept saying how she can’t get anything because she’s fat. It was Every. Other. Sentence. Completely unprompted. And at other meets there’s usually people whining about money.

Everyone knows this is a restrictive and luxury sub-style, no use in crying about it like it’s sudden news. I haven’t met a person who just wants to talk about the fashion (and not MTG, anime, or video games) yet..

Hate to say it but I don’t like being around openly insecure people anymore. You’re 26 and still can’t show your arms? Either go to the gym or take meds.

>> No.10745846

>>10745783
>You’re 26 and still can’t show your arms? Either go to the gym or take meds.
What about stretch marks, scars or loose skin from extensive weight loss? Those are all possibilities

>> No.10745852

>>10730378
both, though I rarely get out of the house these days

book shopping, going out to eat at places I haven't tried, reading at cafes, taking my dog to the park

sure, but I'm not particularly close to anyone I've met online. idk if it's just been bad luck, but most lolitas I've met have been really socially awkward and difficult to just talk to

major no. I really dislike virtual meetups

I'm just not a comm person. I tried it out and just don't think wearing the same kind of fashion is enough grounds to vibe with people. I also don't do well in group settings - I never feel like I can get a word in

the only thing I have liked about hanging out irl with other lolitas is feeling power in numbers. Rude comments from strangers really get to me and I find it happens less often if I'm with another lolita

>> No.10745855
File: 6 KB, 116x120, Screenshot_8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10730369

>imagine the smell

>> No.10745872

>>10745846
Anon's point still stands. Like they said, the main issue is these people being obnoxious about their insecurities to the point conversation is uncomfortable. So if for someone that's their scars/stretch marks/loose skin making them feel like they can't show their arms, getting mental health treatment (e.g. medication) and/or building up self-confidence in their body (e.g. excercising) could probably help.

>> No.10745887

In public. Honestly, I only ever wear it when I'm at least going to go to the grocery store.

I then spend some time wearing my coord when I'm back home, but typically I wear nice clothes when I plan on going somewhere.

Unless I'm spending time with my friends at my place, of course.

>What special occasions do you plan for yourself as a single person meet?

I don't plan special occasions for myself. I go out with my friends who don't wear lolita while in the fashion.

They don't mind, I'm just wearing my style.

When I'm by myself, I run errands in lolita, so I guess I plan to take care of business when I wear my clothes XD

Yes, I have online friends. I've met two of them in person.

It was fun to have the opportunity to meet people I have spoken to for years online.

I've never planned one myself, but I have been on virtual zoom meets with close friends who wear lolita.

I don't think too deeply about this and feel people place too much importance on being part of a con.

I have my own friends that I already spend time with. I simply wear lolita when I hang out with them.

I tried going to a comm meet once and didn't enjoy myself as some people really need to learn what is and is not appropriate to share with strangers you are meeting for the first time.

When spending times with friends I already have, I don't have to worry about such things.

I suppose the only downside is not meeting people who share your interests in the fashion in person, but honestly I love my online friends, so it's not much of a drawback.

I think it's fine to be a part of a comm and make friends through meets, but it just isn't the primary focus for everyone.

>> No.10745896

>>10745783
> there was a girl, who honestly looked great in her amazing handmade Lolita, and she kept saying how she can’t get anything because she’s fat. It was Every. Other. Sentence. Completely unprompted.
My comm has a girl who does this too. She inserts herself into every conversation to complain about being fat. Even when people are not even talking about sizing or just talking about stuff they want to buy for themselves. It's so uncomfortable.

> Hate to say it but I don’t like being around openly insecure people anymore. You’re 26 and still can’t show your arms? Either go to the gym or take meds.
Openly insecure people who make every conversation about their problems are vampires. So miserable and draining to be around. Even if they don't want to work on themselves they need to learn not everyone wants to put up with their incessant whining. Most people in comms are acquaintances at best. Unless they're close friends with their comm most likely no one is comfortable hearing about their body or money issues etc. and they're just driving people away.

>> No.10745897

Experience of a Lolita who is 100% sure she's the only person that wears the fashion in the whole country.

Both but I prefer it outside since I wont bump into things.

I make themed coords for specific places, and take pictures with a tripod ( typing that made me realize how pathetic that sounds lol ) or my brother takes charge of taking coord shots.

Yes, kind of , but I ghost most of them since my social skills just get worse with time. I always get trust issues with lolita friends online. I just stick to the regular likes and shares but I would NEVER DM them and start a conversation.

I wish I could but I always end up feeling extremely anxious but ig would feel a bit less stressful than a real meet up

Pros :
- No interractions with people , I cringe at the sight of itas. If we ever have a com in my country I'm sure it will attract the most tasteless, lazy and annoying people.

- I feel unique and special among normies doing what I love the most.

- Not having to worry about participating or socializing with com members outside of meetups.

Cons : none (actually sometimes I wouldn't mind a bit of frilly company)

I am a loner in general and I have a pea size amount of friends, so I've always felt comfortable being alone. Many people don't realize how great it feels to be okay with spending most of your time alone, you sort of realize you're the main character

>> No.10745905

>>10745887
>some people really need to learn what is and is not appropriate to share with strangers you are meeting for the first time.
>>10745783
>she kept saying how she can’t get anything because she’s fat. It was Every. Other. Sentence. Completely unprompted. And at other meets there’s usually people whining about money.

lonelita here and this is why. i've been to a few meets and my comm is pretty drama-free / friendly overall but there's just so much social ineptitude. topics of conversation also tend to veer towards modern leftism (gender, ~isms, etc.) which, even when i agree with the points being made, just isn't a desired topic to me for a hobby centered meetup with mostly strangers.

>> No.10749470

Meets have a strange commiseration ritual where everyone talks about being fat and having no money, while most fashion enthusiasts are dropping 600+ on designer bags and dresses regularly. I don't know what it is about lolita that attracts obese white trailerpark inhabitants but I have been slowly going ghost and finding fashion groups with more career minded adults, which seems like a good sanity-check.

>> No.10749484

>>10749470
i have a friend circle of older lolitas but there is one minimum wage fattie who is the only one that ever discusses those topics. it's incredibly embarrassing and awkward, but she thinks it's normal just because the general comm does it

>> No.10749510

>>10745905
it's always weird when people bring up politics expecting everyone around them to agree. even when i do agree, it's just weird and unwarranted

>> No.10749884

>>10749470
It's because all the sane ones leave and become lonelitas

>> No.10749894

>>10745897
What country? Or at least, what area of the world?

>> No.10749918

>>10749510
The lolitas in my local comm are radical greens and leftists. I don't agree with many their viewpoints and it's so frustrating listening to their childish rage against modern society which they are part of, are profiting from, but want to abolish. If I raised my actual optinion around them they would lynch me instantly even though I'm more qualified than them to say anything because of my profession in the energy sector, I actually know my facts. Instead I have to shut off my brain around them and play retard. Yes, I'm ready to become a lonelita.

>> No.10749962

>>10749918
How do they compute being like that while into a very consumerist made in china fashion? I hate when shallow hobbies become full of hypocrites.

>> No.10749965

I've only met other lolitas like 3 times but every single time there was the fat complaining lol, I didn't realize how universal it is. They'll compliment my dress and lament that it wouldn't fit them. How am I supposed to respond to that? Why do they do this? Lolitas are so fucking weird

>> No.10749967

i'm a tallita and even i get fattiechans bawwing about how they wouldn't fit what i'm wearing. bitch, i barely fit this shit as far as standards go, get the fuck outta here.

>> No.10749969

>>10749962
nta but lolita has become full of it. but the honest truth is this fashion doesn't exactly attract smart, charismatic, or anyone that is going anywhere with their life honestly. Maybe they are all on the outside of the fashion, but like the people who are active in communities are usually pretty dense

>> No.10749977

>>10749918
Agree, I think I lost my last shred of respect for lolita friends when a bunch of them starting going on about how much they hated capitalism, while sitting in full lolita at a fancy, expensive restaurant.