[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 3.28 MB, 3024x4032, 1621999026341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10726238 No.10726238 [Reply] [Original]

Thread to continue discussing the impacts of the pandemic and the rise of social media on lolita fashion.

While perhaps lolita will never die, it's undeniable that it has been in decline for some time already. Just in the last few years, prices have risen (both first-hand and second-hand), the quality of garments has dropped and well-known brands have disappeared or become husks of what they used to be.

Classic lolita, one of the original substyles of the classic-gothic-sweet triad, seems to be suffering this change the most. What do you think?

Previous thread: >>10695613

>> No.10726243

>>10726238
I don't think it will survive another 20-30 years as a lot of the Chinese lolitas (the ones who joined because it's trendy) will move on and physical brand stores will disappear and/or rarely have new releases and new stock. Not enough new Japanese lolitas will join either as I can already see that it's mostly 35+ year olds in the fashion.

>> No.10726247

It's been around 50 years already, it's not going anywhere.

>> No.10726248

thriving in china

>> No.10726251

>>10726238
Classic lolita specifically is the one that I'd say is the most widely applicable to other fashion trends (cottagecore, vintage fashion etc, as mentioned in the previous thread), so it's a shame that it's getting the short end of the stick here. There was the OTT classic trend a while ago, but I think that as long as OTT styling is what remains prominent, things will decline. Until people can start approaching lolita as an everyday fashion that doesn't need to be Instagram-worthy at all times, it'll be relegated to con wear or your halloween costume for the office party. Maybe a stretch, but I think in many ways the nitpicking that you see in ita threads also contributes, because it reinforces this idea of constant perfection. That's not to say that there aren't some truly bad coords there, but the normies aren't going to care if you aren't wearing a necklace and wrist cuffs, they'll just be like "cool dress what's it for?"

I feel like I personally am in an ok position, as I stick to gothic lolita and am also mildly involved with the actual goth subculture at large, so its not too hard to translate my lolita clothing to that both now and in the future

I think that classic will continue to die down and/or bleed more into other fashions, effectively reducing it as a lolita substyle. Gothic can be translated to goth as a whole, but I think it'll be hard to keep it relevant there unless wearers are involved with the goth subculture, which many/most aren't (and that's ok since ultimately gothic lolita has always been its own separate thing). As for sweet, I'm not really sure. It has its very high peaks and very low dips, so I guess it'll always be there to fade in and out of fashion, and it's also the one that the zoomers tend to latch onto so at least for now there's a constant supply of sweet-curious people

>> No.10726314

>>10726243
Trend cycles are accelerating so quickly these days that i think it could die down for a few years and then come roaring back

>> No.10726321

For it to survive, lolita has to change, and dramatically evolve. It is very strange that lolita fashion has survived as long as it has with pretty minimal evolution. i can't imagine goth fashion would've survived if no one ever evolved past trad goth style.

>> No.10726324

>>10726251
"Sweet-curious" lol
I kissed a sweet and I liked it.

>> No.10726327

There doesn't seem to be a general thread anymore but I was just watching a video and I wondered, is it true that the early lolitas started wearing lolita so that they wouldn't get a husband and do the usual housewife duties? If so, it's interesting how lolita somewhat shifted away from that in more recent years.

>> No.10726334

>>10726327
…I think you need to get your brain checked, or you’re a man.

>> No.10726337

>>10726334
I've always be told that lolita was more about not be sexualised by men and doing whatever the hell you want

>> No.10726340

>>10726327
There are still diehards like Misako who have decided that lolita is more important to them than getting married or forming relationships in general. It's not an explicitly feminist movement in the sense of "I am going to dress this way for the express purpose of getting men to dislike me" but it has feminist undertones because the general idea of women doing things they like that don't explicitly appeal to men is a bit taboo

>> No.10726351

>>10726340
It's not diehard to decide that you want a partner who accepts your hobbies and part of your career. That's basic common sense. If you have to give up healthy things you genuinely like or want to be with someone they're probably not a good fit.

>> No.10726356

>>10726340
I think it's a good mindset.
When I was young the message I got out of American entertainment was that feminine women wre lame and that cool women were masculine. It had a great "negative" influence on me.
Now Im rediscovering my feminity, noting I don't give a fuck about my carreer, I like sewing, cooking, embroidering and even cleaning. I'm tradwifing, and I love every minute of it, and I don't feel oppressed at all.

I feel a lot of feminists were lesbians hence those messaging telling that being more masculine (competitive, sexually promiscuous, agressive) would be empowering and that trad feminity was oppressive. But what is good for butch lesbians, isn't good for other women, and certainly not woman like me.

>> No.10726357

>>10726327
It's not solely just to avoid men, you silly goose. That's more like a side effect

>> No.10726373

>>10726351
I think for Japanese lolitas, it is a bit diehard because women are even expected to give their careers up for pregnancy. Western society values individualism a lot more so we kind of have it easier and tend to be more admired and openly complimented.

>> No.10726380

>>10726356
>certainly not woman like me
Sure scrote.

>>10726340
I doubt Misako is single and is not just hiding her 4+ years relationship like most japanese public figures. At 38 she could very well still suddenly show up pregnant out of nowhere.

>> No.10726383

>>10726380
I think someone said last year she mentioned having a boyfriend now. I don't think she hides it, she's just private about posting people on her social who are not other public figures.

>>10726373
Western women are basically expected to give up their careers too if they're not in a high level position, at least functionally because of lack of childcare and maternity leave. Japan is obviously way worse with forced resignations and active sexism in work environments but similar problems with lack of childcare and lack of time off.

>> No.10726384

>>10726380
why would misako have to hide it, she has no reason to need to appear single and there are other major lolita models who have gotten married

>> No.10726390

>>10726373
Lolita is still subversive in a western context, but much more so in a Japanese context. Misako is almost 40, and for her to be unmarried and still involved in the scene is a pretty big deal, much more so than it would be elsewhere

>>10726380
I wouldn't be surprised by a longterm relationship, but I doubt that she'll have a baby at this point. Not just because of her age, but because I think it would involve sacrificing much of her lolita involvement

>> No.10726393

>>10726383
American who center their lives arpound their jobs instead of their family are pathetic desu. Same for Japanese men.

A mother should raised her children instead of goving them to the nurse. My mom basically left me with my grandma to continue working and the result was disastrous as I never bond with her. My grand ma was my mom. Even now, I have zero love for my mom.
She learned her lesson and stop working to take care of my younger siblings and they are very bonded to her as a result.

>> No.10726394

>>10726384
She doesn't hide it, she said in a Japanese interview that she has a boyfriend.

>> No.10726396

>>10726393
I wish my mom left me alone to go to work

>> No.10726397

>>10726393
If you're incapable of loving your mom who helps take care of you but couldn't do it all on her own that sounds like a you problem. Americans put all their time into work because they either have no choice due to being working class or because they think the benefits of greater wealth will help their kids. Yes it is not ideal but pretending like they all want to be shitty parents is ignoring the obvious about wage slavery.

>> No.10726399

>>10726397
Yeah lots of people still love their dad even though he was working all the time. Having zero love for your mom is a you problem. And I don't love my mom either despite "bonding" with her anyway because she is a terrible woman

>> No.10726401

>>10726393
and where was your father in this situation? was he helping at all? was he bringing money into the house?

its hard to be a first time mom. society isn't kind to mothers, even though they force motherhood onto women. once a woman becomes a mother, she's invisible. her desires, wants, dreams are no longer supposed to matter.

if subsidized childcare and mandatory paid time off for parents were normal, then maybe things would be easier. plus mental support for moms going through PPD

>> No.10726407

>>10726340
>>10726357
I don't think its an intent to repel men. I've read its more of "my purpose in life should not be to waste my life away for a job and a husband. I am going to do things I like and if a man does not like it then oh well". it also is further a fuck you to the incredibly homogenous mindset that Japan really pushes on its society.
People really ascribe a western feminism lense to something that is a very east Asian mind set (living your life for job/living your life for a husband and family). Any feminism is purely accidentally and it's more a rebellion against society as a whole rather than one westerner's would label as "the patriarchy". It's a massive reclaimation of one's self that happened to pair well with the kawaii revolution. (which is why the hyper feminine fashions in the 70s were called "lolita" and continued to live on thanks to the kawaii revolution in the 80s) You would think a culture in the west that is born out of weebetry would know a bit more about Japanese culture to understand why something like lolita is extremely rebellious just by virtue of standing out.

>> No.10726408

>>10726393
i was in a situation very similar to yours (primarily raised by my grandma) and am very close to both of my parents who worked full time. love is a series of decisions, not a magical force that ties you to someone when you're a child.

>> No.10726437

>>10726384
>there are other major lolita models who have gotten married
Midori is married, Akira is married, another chick who models for Baby is married with a kid

>> No.10726444

>>10726407
>Any feminism is purely accidentally
This. Rebellion for women in Japan when lolita started was as simple as spending money on things for you and not sacrificing yourself to family. Hell, it still is. Also Japanese dating is woman driven anyway, men are passive and women expected to make the first move more.

>> No.10726451

>>10726444
>Also Japanese dating is woman driven anyway, men are passive and women expected to make the first move more

I had no clue but I'm intrigued, anywhere I can read up on this anon?

>> No.10726455

as a pandemic lolita i almost contributed to the death of lolita by buying chinese brand at first because despite all the research i did, it didn't occur to me that this is a slow fashion and that all the lolitas that have gorgeous wardrobes fought tooth and nail for years for that.
never again, god bless Moitie i have become a Moitiefag.

>> No.10726459

>>10726357
That piece of information came from the video you silly goose

>> No.10726462

>>10726451
nta but search herbivore men or herbivore men japan and you should be able to find lots of info on it

>> No.10726463

>>10726462
The western news loves to exaggerate some of these issues in Japan as it contributes to the emasculated Asian man stereotypes though. It's not that crazy different from the rest of Asia or the west.

>> No.10726483

>>10726463
This desu

>> No.10726492

>>10726383
>Western women are basically expected to give up their careers too if they're not in a high level position
Not where I live in the US. Almost no one here is expected to leave their career if they have a child. In fact, women are often seen as "lazy" if they do become stay-at-home moms. Daycare has become the norm.

>>10726384
She's admitted she has a boyfriend now and is hiding it, probably for his privacy. I personally don't post my boyfriend online because A) I don't want any scrutiny thrown his way, and B) people don't follow me to see him.

>>10726393
I agree with your sentiment of "home life should be more valued", but if you have zero love for your working single mother then you're just an ungrateful brat.

>>10726459
what video are you even talking about? i wanted to call you a retard but i was trying to be kind. you have no business being snarky because your ill-informed newfag impression was blatantly wrong.

>> No.10726511

>>10726455
grats, pandemic-chan

>> No.10726513

>>10726393

You blaming your mom working her ass off for your comfort for your autism is so unreal to me. She should have just left you with grandma to survive on social security.

>> No.10726516

>>10726492
I believe it was Hello Bloomer or Ok Bloomers? I don't know how you read it as me sharing that information when I literally said I heard it in a video and was a bit confused by it as I've always heard otherwise. I've been in the fashion for years, thank you and there's no reason to call anyone a retard, but if you like being that way, go ahead.

>> No.10726522

>>10726455
>i almost contributed to the death of lolita by buying chinese brand
huh? brands like ap and baby continue to sell out of shit instantly. they aren't hurting for sales

>> No.10726523

>>10726513
Harsh but true

>> No.10726601

>>10726516
Wtf is that? You're referencing a random video as if we all know it. I'll do the other anon a favour and call you a retard.

>> No.10726649

>>10726340
Misako isn't single, she has a boyfriend.

>> No.10726654

>>10726601
It was pretty obvious anons but you chose to make it complicated

>> No.10726660

>>10726397
She was an abusive depressive alcoolic who was jealous and, as a result, I was not allowed to see my grandma-mommy anymore.
I'll never forgive her for that.
My younger siblings, however, love her unconditionnally even if she's a bad mom.
>and where was your father in this situation? was he helping at all? was he bringing money into the house?
He was working and bringing money in, he was never abusive toward us or your mom. She was abusing him.
>if subsidized childcare and mandatory paid time off for parents were normal
We have it there. I'm not throwing the stone as poor people who struggle financially and need 2 salaries just to survive. Or even single mothers. But if you have the means, it's better to take at least one year or 2 off work to nurtur the baby. I think it's good for the baby and for the mother. And that laws should be passed to support mothers and allow them to be there for their babies intstead of handing them to strangers to fully commit to the way of the wage cuck.

>> No.10726666

>>10726455
You really are a newfag and it shows. NeoMoitie is pure polyester trash made in China and owned by a company that doesn't care about the fashion. If anything you're making it worse.

>> No.10726670

>>10726660
Kek what? The only reason that story didn't have a happy ending with you feeling attached to your working mother is because your mother is literally an insane person. Work was not the issue there bud. Otherwise no one would be attached to their fathers or single mothers. Frankly, you should count your blessings that you're not attached to a vindictive alcoholic like that.

>> No.10726676

>>10726660
Stop blogposting, nobody cares about your life.

>> No.10726683

>>10726670
nah
my siblings love her unconditionnally
I don't
and they take up most of the depressiveabuses.
If she had been a good mom, I would have end up apreciating her, but the woman I have loved the most in my life is grandma. Forever. Alway get teary eyes when I think of her. Not sure I'm going to be sad when mom dies.
grand ma is my mother figure, the one and only.

If you let your toddlers with the mexican nurses don't be mad when they end up liking her the most.

>> No.10726686

>>10726683
An abusive mother is very different than a working one. She wasn't abusing you because of work, she was fucking crazy. I also had a crazy mom who I no longer love or feel attached to because of her abuse and I don't blame her work habits, because she fucking sucked even when she was home more.

You're connecting things that aren't really related.

>> No.10726701

>>10726666
>clolita is bad because of quality issues and buying it contributes to the problem
>burando is bad because of quality issues and buying it contributes to the problem
Alright pack it up guys lolita is over, it was a fun run though

>> No.10726710
File: 203 KB, 757x493, 1525445187486.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10726238
Does it have to live (aka be popular) forever? What's wrong with it becoming more niche?

>> No.10726715

>>10726710
The only people who care about lolita "dying" are clout chasers who wear it for social media.

>> No.10726716

>>10726710
For me and a lot of other people, it's not about it being "popular", ie. popular on social media. It's literally about whether or not brands can survive.

>> No.10726717

>>10726715

Read this >>10726716

If people are in it just for the clout they would just go to pastel colored aesthetics or grunge like k8.

But for me it means VM is getting bought out by the company that cheapened MMM.

>> No.10726719

>>10726716
>>10726717
Buy secondhand then, I haven't liked one brand release from the past ten years but it hasn't stopped me.

>> No.10726724

>>10726719

It's what I'm doing but just saying it's not really for clout.

Also if you really want clout just sell your soul to clolita.

>> No.10726731

>>10726716
It's inevitable they die someday, but like the other anon said, after that there is still more than enough second hand for the remainers. Unless the majority of ex.lolitas just starts hoarding en masse, which makes no sense with how shitty the future looks economically.

>> No.10726768

>>10726731
Speak for yourself. If you're gothic or classic, the secondhand market is highly competitive or straight up nonexistent (classic).

and inb4 someone accuses me of being poor, I'm not. I can drop 800+ on a dress, but if they're literally not being listed, then it doesn't matter if I can afford them.

I do honestly wonder how some lolitas like JM seem to find a ton of rare shit regularly.

>> No.10726775

>>10726768
Straight up nonexistent applies more to gothic than classic imo.

>> No.10726780

Some women are spiteful and insecure. They are drawn to causes where they can yell at others with no backlash while looking to christen something simple and widespread as a form of resistance. Like being fat and eating cake to fight against white surpremacy or whatever. This is why you hear from some loons that Lolita has a feminist message. Some western women liked the idea of wearing neat or cute clothes that will garner no social backlash and christened it a rebellion so they can feel they're strong and struggling.
It is true that japanese society is homogenized and doesn't generally look favourably upon standing out. But even there Lolita isn't a rebellion. Lolita looks similar to maids and idols, who are celebrated. It is punks and the like who are standing out and looked down upon for being desruptive and dangerous. After all what kind of idiot honestly believes that she is rebelling against the demand for women to be feminine by being feminine. This is like protesting wages by doing volunteer work.
Someone said that Lolita is supposed to be feminist because it is something you're doing for yourself. That is also nonsense. Women, and men, have been doing things for themselves since before we were born. It is called having a hobby and a number of them are unisex too. All my life I've seen women doing things for themselves and I never took issue when they weren't harming others.

>> No.10726790

>>10726768
I don't agree that the secondhand market for classic is non-existent, particularly when so many cheap IW pieces always pop up and things tend not to be as overpriced as sweet or gothic. Gothic on the other hand has the most grimest secondhand market out of all the substyles hands down thanks to scalping and the fact that gothic lolitas generally don't sell their shit ever.

>> No.10726794

>>10726775
New lolitas don't know how to classify gothic, though. They think black sweet lolita and black classic lolita = gothic.

>> No.10726818

>>10726790

You could probably argue the same for gothic though, as items from atelier pierrot are more plentiful and less valued by the gothic community. Classic lolitas are looking for Mary Magdalene and certain Victorian Maiden like rococo bouquet, both of which have incredibly high prices these days.

>> No.10726820

>>10726780

Jesus Christ learn how to reply newfag.

>> No.10726825

>>10726768
Lolitas like JM? Jane Marple?

>> No.10726827

>>10726780
>lolita is completely accepted and garners absolutely no social backlash in either a japanese or western context
>no one ever gets upset with women for prioritizing their own happiness or hobbies
Ok scrote

>> No.10726830

>>10726827
Isn't it funny that the majority of men that are attracted to the lolita community also type like something is wrong with them mentally?

>> No.10726832

>>10726820
I wanted to address everyone.

>>10726827
You are not brave or struggling for playing dress up.

>> No.10726834

>>10726832
NTA but your run on paragraph sounds like you need mental help, incel.

>> No.10726851

>>10726790
Ok but anon, most classics don't want that 60$ IW. They want the good VM and MM pieces. By your logic, gothic is easy to find because I can get an old AtePie dress for 100$.

>> No.10726853

>>10726825
josine

>> No.10726863

>>10726853
Lmao thanks anon, I was thinking of a classic lolita.

It's true that the (real, as in MM, VM and Moitié) classic and gothic second-hand market has almost completely dried up. I never thought I'd get to see it on its way to becoming nonexistent but it is. For classic, pieces will show up maybe once a month, or every two months. It's completely dry.

>> No.10726901

sweet boom killed the other substyles i'm gonna say it

>> No.10727403

Classic may very well be on its way out.

>> No.10727407

>>10726853
I'm pretty sure a lot of her rare items are things sold to her directly by friends/acquaintances. A ton of lolitas (esp. oldfags) don't actually list their stuff anywhere but just sell on their private FB, Insta stories or smaller Discords.

>> No.10727409

Sex worker feminists

>> No.10727425

>>10726649
Misako has spoken on Youtube (as in, made a whole video on the topic) about her troubles of finding a boyfriend and last time she spoke about that was maybe a year ago. So I would need a source for your statement.

>> No.10727426

>>10727425
You are behind, she was on tv talking about having a bf in the last year. Try googling it

>> No.10727458

>>10727426
Googling exactly what? Which program, which episode?

>> No.10727462

>>10727458
Sorry anon but people on cgl are not always the most helpful so you may have to find it yourself

>> No.10727463

>>10727458
What a blatant request to be spoonfed.

>> No.10727469

>>10727458
you can literally just check the fucking archive, it was linked

>> No.10727751

>>10726901
nah

socioeconomic trends did it to dark alt fashions globally

>> No.10727770

I'm not sure if I'm really gonna care when lolita inevitably dies

>> No.10727790

>>10726768
>Speak for yourself. If you're gothic or classic, the secondhand market is highly competitive or straight up nonexistent (classic).
Anon read the whole conversation. We're talking about when lolita "dies". If there aren't enough people to buy brand, second hand will also loose buyig power.

>> No.10727792

>>10726768
>lolitas like JM
Because she has contacts in different comms for things that don't even get listed. She also jumped on the first trendwave back in ~2014 when things were more affordable.

>> No.10727793

>>10727770
I think many of the things I liked most about lolita are already dead. So who cares about when brands finally die off.

>> No.10727796

>>10727793
this

>> No.10727797

>>10727793
>Tfw it will never be 2010 in Takeshita-dori again
>Tfw you will never be baby
>Tfw the stars don't shine bright anymore

At least I have my dresses. Trying to commission some old-school inspired ones

>> No.10727823

>>10727797
Learning to sew them yourself would be more in the 00s lolita spirit

>> No.10727838

>>10727823
I already tried a few times and they looked like ass. I like old-school not garbage handmade that doesn't fit right

>> No.10727878

>>10727838
git gud, noob

>> No.10727896

>>10727823
Sewing is for poors.

>> No.10727908

>>10727896
It's for people who have skills beyond being a retarded consoomer.

>> No.10732320

so many masks

>> No.10732575
File: 1.10 MB, 1079x1088, 1525419731602.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10727797

>> No.10737117

>>10726238
Yes
/thread

>> No.10737128

>>10732320
Born to shit forced to wipe

>> No.10737474

>>10727792
Her tactics are just very aggressive. I own a few rare classic pieces and she used to message me on social media "if you ever sell X I'm interested". I guess it must work out for her from time to time.

>> No.10737476

>>10726248
Everything but the people thrive in china lmao

>> No.10737574

>>10727908
Going with the brand releases flow is a massive part of community dynamic, so if you're doing your own shit you might feel excluded here and there. Plus, copying the brand looks doesn't feel as comfortable as before with the whole replica bash.

>> No.10737665

>>10737574
Just admit you're too lazy to learn how to sew kek

>> No.10738002

These kinds of threads are a psyop to convince ppl to sell their dresses for cheap. I'm onto you

>> No.10738019

>>10738002

Real talk though, not sure what the point of these threads are but I'm not going to get rid of my dresses because some dumb bitch thinks a trend is out. I already dresses that normies think look 150 years old, you think you can scare me?

>> No.10738021

>>10737665
Maybe they just have better shit to do and don't want to? Children in Bangladesh sew shit for pennies, it's not exactly some super valuable and difficult skill.

>> No.10738023

>>10738002
kek what, if anything it'll make most genuine lolitas hold onto their clothes

>> No.10745684

>>10726437
Yui Minakata?

>> No.10745724

>>10726243
I don't plan to live that long so I'm fine with it

>> No.10746217

>>10726238

No, is not dying. Just became cosplay finally. And you can only find that at anime cons now. It's impossible to dress like that everyday. Lolitas went too far away from what the style was at the beginning.

Original lolita was just how visual kei artists and their fans dressed themselves in Japan in the 90's. Their coords looked actually wearable. As in normal daily clothes, I mean.

>> No.10746221

>>10746217
There’s still plenty of people wearing the fashion daily. You don’t have to wear old school level boring to be a daily lolita. Daily lolita wearers don’t post everything they wear online. The real reason is that in Japan alt fashion normified and western people get poorer and fatter every year. Brand is wearable as just clothes, while taobao garbage isn’t.

>> No.10746224

>>10746217
That's retarded anon there's a middle ground between daily wear and conlitas. And most of the girls you describe wore lolita on days off as well.

>> No.10746234

>>10726393
you sound like a little bitch

>> No.10746261

>>10726393
what a piece of shit you are. be grateful. also don't have kids.

>> No.10746275

>>10726321
>with pretty minimal evolution
you sound new

>> No.10746277

>>10746217
>It's impossible to dress like that everyday.
You haven't been to China then, they are all over Beijing like if it was normie fashion.

>> No.10746282

>>10746217
>Original lolita was just how visual kei artists and their fans dressed themselves in Japan in the 90's.
bro what fucking planet are you on?

>> No.10746377

>>10746277

Bullshit. They are only allowed to wear that at certain areas and in certain day of the week because it is considered cosplay. It's the same in Japan. You just can't go outside of your house like that if your dresstyle isn't normal.

Asian countries force you into being a normie more than the west. If your fashion doesn't look like normal clothing and you use unnatural colored wigs, unnatural colored eye contacts and drag make-up, you are considered a cosplayer.

>>10746282

I should ask you that. I don't know what is happening with the noob lolitas, but you have zero idea about the style. It was born out of visual kei. It was created by Mana, a visual kei musician. Only his fans wore it, too.

Have you ever read the Gothic & Lolita Bible? I suppose not, or else you would wear the style properly, instead of mixing and copying all the multiple styles Harajuku photos you see online.

>>10746221
>>10746224

Stop making shit up about how fashion is treated and worn in Asian countries. You just have NO idea.

Asian countries opress their people into looking the same and do not tolerate anything different, unless you are an artist and being weird is your fucking job.

>> No.10746408

>>10746377
holy shit is this a troll? mana didn't create lolita.

>> No.10746452

>>10746377
>thinking lolita began in the 90s with Mana

>> No.10746511

>>10746377
Idk what Asian country you mean, are you in NK or something LMAO

In Japan people wear it when they feel like. You'll see people wearing it any day of the week, more on weekends but still they are there at the trains during the week randomly. Depends on the area of course, Tokyo and Osaka are more fashionable than other cities. Still possible but rarer in other areas

>> No.10746520

I don’t think lolita is dying per se, but I think the influx of special snowflake SJW types whining about how their $10 amazon dress is totes lolita is killing my interest in any online communities, because if you try to tell them their crap isn’t lolita they get butthurt and call the waaaah police.

>> No.10746534

>>10746520
This. I'm about to go on hiatus until it blows over, they and the lolitas coddling them have ruined the community.

>> No.10746538

>>10746534
Agreed. Pretty sick of the influx of combative itas

>> No.10746555

>>10746377
Try reading better before getting angry. No one said japanese lolitas were ever daily lolitas. They wore it over the weekend. J fashion normified there BECAUSE of the fact that looking different isn’t accepted. But all of asian countries isn’t japan. It’s hella popular in china

>> No.10746559

>>10746538
i quickly scrolled past and thought you wrote that you were "angelic pretty tired".

>> No.10748658
File: 1.75 MB, 3210x2192, FGztm5QagAE62ds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10726238
no

>> No.10752040

Just keeps evolving like everything.

>> No.10752090

>>10726351
I'm not even Asian and it is diehard to me. If you have a working class job, and really love Lolita, it means most of your money and free time will go there instead of a "normal" social life, dating, children, savings, and 99% of people will be put off by how you dress especially after your teenage years. If you want a husband and children you'll end up choosing more convenient clothing.

>> No.10752096 [DELETED] 

>>10726768
>some lolitas like JM seem to find a ton of rare shit regularly.
She has been in the fashion for many years without quitting and has old friends who also didn't quit and has old/rare things to trade. I got into lolita more than 15 years ago (Dutch comm too) and I had several dresses that would be considered extremely rare now but I sold them for €50-€100 each, because solids (as is common in goth and classic) weren't worth much. I quit lolita several times and my wardrobe would have been so impressive if I hadn't. :( I still have a friend I met through lolita 15 years ago that kept a few rare Moitie dresses that she lets me borrow, but she won't sell because they were gifts from her mother.

>> No.10752100

>>10726768
>some lolitas like JM seem to find a ton of rare shit regularly.
She has been in the fashion for many years without quitting and has old friends who also didn't quit and has old/rare things to trade. I got into lolita more than 15 years ago (Dutch comm too) and I had several dresses that would be considered extremely rare now but I sold them for €50-€100 each, because solids (as is common in goth and classic) weren't worth much. I quit lolita several times and my wardrobe would have been so impressive if I hadn't. :( I still have a friend I met through lolita 15 years ago that kept a few rare Moitie dresses that she lets me borrow, but she won't sell because they were gifts from her mother.

Also I noticed some of the rare things oldfags wear were not actually expensive or popular until they post popular coords with it and then suddenly everyone has it on their wishlist.

>> No.10752106

>>10752090
>99% of people will be put off by how you dress especially after your teenage years.
move to a city jfc.

>> No.10752117

>>10752106
Like that changes anything.

>> No.10752279

>>10726337
Is it possible to be so adamantly retarded? Lolita was originally about appealing to weird pedophiles into ageplay stuff. The name is not just a wacky coincidence.

>> No.10752283

>>10752117
people in cities don't give a fuck about you and your weird dresses, they have better things to do. unlike in small towns, where everyone is retarded.

>> No.10752287

>>10752279
I know you're a troll but someone will respond if I don't.
>Lolita IS named for the book
it's called that because the book is about sullied innocence. Lolita as a fashion has somewhat dark roots anyway, of course the name is from the book especially given that the name means despair. The book is anti-pedo anyway, only morons think otherwise.
>It is NOT about appealing or not appealing to men
Lolita is about disconnecting from society. There's no coincidence it cropped up during the otaku scare of the 80s. Japanese women had and have tons of societal pressures, the only way to escape them is to become unappealing to society as a whole. Of course westerners incorrectly believe the focus was on not attracting men, but arranged marriages were still very common so being attractive to random men was likely a lower concern than pissing off family.
>Lolita is feminist
Simply being pro-women or anti-men in general isn't feminism so this is a huge stretch and should be ignored.

I wish the community overall would stop obsessing with labels, it's fucking annoying, because we have heaps of undisputed facts.

>> No.10752316

>>10752106
I live in the capital of my country

>> No.10752317

>>10752283
They might not give a fuck if they see you in the street, but they do give a fuck when looking for a serious relationship

>> No.10752327

>>10752106
>>10752283
I used to work in my Western European country’s capital city and after running into a few of my coworkers there during a meet-up they hounded me about lolita for well over a year until I quit (for multiple reasons). In which cities do people not think lolita is a freakshow because I’d love to live there.

>> No.10752549

>>10752327
Given how US-centric most of cgl is, I'm guessing they mean cities in the USA

>> No.10752697
File: 1.34 MB, 894x1400, sweet_dirndl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10752327
I've been to switzerland, germany, and austria wearing lolita without any issues, but then again thair traditional clothes look similar (pic related)

>> No.10752714

>>10752327
most likely places like san francisco or portland where there are a bunch of weird people walking around in general

>> No.10753578 [DELETED] 

>>10726324
stop you'recute lol

>> No.10753579 [DELETED] 

>>10726393

suddenly got so personal
the tramu real ok?
it not your fault

>> No.10753581

>>10726437
>Akira is married
sauce?

>> No.10753582 [DELETED] 

>>10726455
*saluts*

>> No.10753712
File: 1.57 MB, 872x839, 26565465416541654.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10753581
Pic from her instagram. She's been married for a while.

>> No.10753851

>>10726238 (OP)

I think communities are going to die off. The toxicity within communities is top tier retard levels these days.

>> No.10753858

>>10726337
>>10752279
Are you brain dead? the word lolita predates the fashion and book, by years.
It's a spanish word of endearment, used for young to middle aged women.

The word lolita is used once in the book. I can also tell you have never read the book, because it is in no way about glorifying pedophilia, it's a fictional man's delusions of love. The female character isn't even described as a provocative figure, but rather that she was frail and boyish, to accentuate /how/ fucking unhinged the narrator is. In the end he is sent to jail, by the girls request to her parents and the man is STILL dilludied to thinking she loves him. You're supposed to iron you dresses smooth, not your brains

>> No.10753863

>>10753858
Okay pedo calm down didn't mean to insult the pedo japanese roots of your pedo derived fashion statement

>> No.10753864

>>10753858
Anon is sort of true, the name comes from the movie that became popular everywhere. Japan thought it was a cute young name and tacked it onto the fashion. We look like little kid’s dolls because that’s the actual point. Even AP’s ideal is enjoying stuff from when we were kids freely

>> No.10753866

>>10752327
The Las Vegas strip.

After going to RVR, I realized most tourists there assume youre just a performer of some sort, or at least dressing up for some specific event. Normies consider dressing up for "a reason" to be less weird.

>> No.10753871

>>10753864
japan used it because it's a corruption of youth, like original lolita fashion. it's meant to be edgy.

>> No.10753872

>>10753863
If you aren't in the fashion why are you even here? Once you develop a full brain cell, lmk

>> No.10753874

>>10753872
God, what a troon tier response

>> No.10753878

>>10753864
imo the fact that normies, conflate liking childish things to pedophila is more of a them problem. Just because you become an adult doesn't mean you stop liking those things, or that you have to (which I'm sure you know this as well) The context of the name to me, is less important than the context and influence's of the fashion, i.e. victorian, etc. which even with childrens clothing during those ears, the only difference was size and cut. Which (to me) shows it's not purposely derived from pedophila. I'm a classic lolita so I don't ever really have any more childish motifs in my wardrobe, besides teddy bears because why not. I'm just trying to be a walking grandma couch

>> No.10755168

>>10753871
this