[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 51 KB, 600x454, A6tyL8yCUAA2FAM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10715467 No.10715467 [Reply] [Original]

Recently, as I've been going through some old jfash photos, I couldn't help thinking how easy people had it back in time. Community was not as saturated, so whatever work would look refreshing. It was easier to impress with a cosplay making skills because there wasn't a lot of them actually, even though some materials were less accessible. My perception of community might be flawed, but to me it does feel this way, so I wonder what /cgl/ thinks about dynamic in cosplay/jfash community in a past decade.

> how long have you been doing cosplay / wearing jfash?
> as per your observation, has community grown lately or the number of participants has actually decreased?
> do you find it easier to grow an online following now compared to what it was 10 years ago?
> do you think cosplay/jfash has become more accepted in society?

>> No.10715853

Bump

>> No.10716028
File: 50 KB, 356x256, 1641321687752.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10715467
That world no longer exists. The fun easy going world where people enjoyed seeing how people dressed up and how they made their outfits is gone forever.

Once the money making elves got their hooks into this and brought in all the normies and pushed out all the people who used to make things themselves it became a big business to milk.

That is why everything in this culture (video games, anime, cars, crafting, cooking, etc) is shit.

>> No.10716176

>>10715467
When did Keannu Reeves pose with sexy Halloween ninja turtles?

>> No.10716360

Don't lump cosplay and j-fashion together. They are not the same community so your questions don't make sense.

It's way easier to be into jfashion now because you can easily buy the fashion. You can buy directly from a ton of Japanese Brands, you can buy from indie brands all over the world, you can buy more affordable Chinese brands.

Don't try to tell me it was better back when the only way to get anything was through a shopping service.

>> No.10716365

>>10716360
>Don't try to tell me it was better back when the only way to get anything was through a shopping service.

Thing is, it was actually better if you had means for buying brand. The standards were lower, people weren't so keen about giving criticism, you could basically reach influencer kinda status with pretty simple outfits built around one brand dress. Plus, social medias weren't so saturated with lolita content, so growing a following seems easier.
Although I can tell a downside. It was harder to get appropriate materials if you did handmade jfash or cosplay. E-commerce weren't so developed back then, not to mention the accessibility of japanese things.

>> No.10720714

I don’t know what world you lived in where jfash and cosplay were easier in the past because they weren’t. It was a lot harder to impress anyone because there were a lot less people to try to impress.

>> No.10721405

>>10716028
>That world no longer exists.
Then we can turn this into a reminiscence thread.

>>10716176
>When did Keannu Reeves pose with sexy Halloween ninja turtles?
That was the golden age.

>>10716360
>Don't try to tell me it was better back when the only way to get anything was through a shopping service.
And here I thought I could remember back when people made their own outfits, often from scratch.

>> No.10721489

>>10721405
It’s a nice idea in theory, but most of the handmade Lolita back then looked like crap.