[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 61 KB, 1200x1320, 731255-HSHO16-JH0378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10457256 No.10457256 [Reply] [Original]

>sewing retarded
I dont need to do anything crazy fancy (I don't... think?) but I want the most bang for my buck.

New, or Used? How much should I be looking to spend on a not-entry-level consumer grade model?

Recommendation? Or should I just go to jo-ann and get the basic thing, use that til my skill level climbs out of 'special needs' territory

>> No.10457307

Even if someone could just tell me "dont buy one if it doesnt have X Y Z features" or like, basic pitfalls

>> No.10457308

>>10457256
I recommend you get an Elna. I can’t sing their praises enough.

>> No.10457365

don’t we have a thread for questions like these

>> No.10457407

>>10457256
Get a vintage all metal machine, they're crazy heavy, but it'll last you the rest of your life if you're good to it. They have an incredibly nice stitch, very solid, some come in cabinets. Keep it oiled, minimal maintenance, and that's it. Newer ones have plastic gears and lots of bells and whistles, but nothing life changing and they won't last nearly as long.

Vintage Singers are good, Kenmore, Elna are all great, Berninas are crazy expensive and so are their peripherals, but some people swear by them.

There's usually lots on Craigslist and sometimes you'll find people who restore and sell them on there. If you're lucky you might find one with all the sewing attachments included. If you see one you like do a quick search, see if there's a video that talks about them. Think about what it is you want to do, ie garments or quilting, and seek out machines that gear towards that. For instance with garments you might want a free arm so you can do sleeves and pants legs whereas with quilting all you really need is a flat bed machine that does straight stitch and zig zag.

I'm seeking a Kenmore out right now with a free arm and can't wait to nab it, they're beautiful solid machines.

>> No.10457417

I personally have a brother sewing machine. They're pretty ok compared to the average price of a good sewing machine. They'll run you about 100-240 dollars US but occasionally you can find one on eBay or something that's around 80 dollars. They have multiple stitch options which is really helpful even when making basic stuff. And let me tell you from experience. DO NOT get one of those baby sized pillow making sewing machines that they market to kids. They will ruin your life trying to sew anything to last more that a day to 3 hours. The model I have is Brother 17 stitch sewing machine jx2517.

>> No.10457496
File: 299 KB, 445x450, 1563227507903.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10457365
Not everything needs to be in a fucking general, anon. Go to a forum if that's what you want. This is a unique topic that isn't asked aggravatingly often and is actually a pretty important one.

>> No.10457501

>>10457496
>unique
No it’s not really. This question pops up several times a year, you just outed yourself as a newfag. Most embarrassing behavior.

>> No.10457509

>>10457256
We have a sewing thread and a help thread and you're too retarded to use either of them?

>> No.10457591

>>10457496
This exact question is asked at least once a month by different people in each thread. There is nothing unique about this topic and at best this thread only needs 2-3 replies for the question to be answered. Don't think you're slick, OP.

>> No.10457592

>>10457365
Two threads in fact.

>> No.10466075

>>10457501
>several times a year
you know what the rate of 'common topics' needs to be in general threads on most of the other boards? i few times a year counts as basically never on /fit/. jussayin

>> No.10472347 [DELETED] 

ho look, another thread getting ruined by the anon who tries to find fault with everything. Is it fun being an uptight stickler who rains on everyone's parade? How's that fat dangly roasty pussy treating you, bitch? I ask because you were SO adamant that innie vaginas DON'T exist. Because you don't have one. And you're miserable about it. And miserable about your gross fat body. And your shitty little crafts you spend SO much money on, and never post pictures of, because you're a failure of an artist. Le Grand Roast Beef, always combing through every thread to find fault with anyone and everything. Does it fill the deep, black hole in your soul?

>> No.10472352 [DELETED] 

>>10457591
says the bitch who told every novice sewer to sew BY HAND, and refused to talk about machines? If it's SUCH an easy question to answer, answer it! If the answer is already in another thread, post a crosslink!

Oh, but you much prefer to be a fucking cunty cunt, lord of the Beef. You have no friends in real life so you shit on everyone here and it allow yourself to pretend you feel high and mighty.

>> No.10472488

>>10466075
this anon is right. And this thread is full of salty gulls that either are mod/janitor, or are friends with the mod/janitor.

>> No.10479824

>>10457256
hey there's a pretty awesome sewing/sewing machine thread up on /diy right now! Check it out! It's actually useful and informative, unlike the garbage sh*tfire that is /cgl

>> No.10479905

>>10479824
nyart, but holy shit an active sewing general on DIY? I've seen a couple rando threads pop up but they die out so quickly its not even worth following. I'm amazed.

>> No.10486823

>>10457307
Pretty much this. Look into what kind of work you'll be doing. What materials you'll be working with. What kind of stitches you'll need. Then just select whatever has those features with the highest reviews.