[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

View post   

File: 283 KB, 499x513, 1547700824779.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10149844 No.10149844 [Reply] [Original]

>Con is coming up soon.
>Looking forward to it, and it's happening a few days after my finals, literally couldn't have been a more perfect time.
>I'm in college so I'm not only poor, but can only afford to go to conventions in or near my state.
>Start making plans, decide which panels I'm going to.
>Suddenly my car has engine issues, really bad engine issues out of nowhere, and not to mention I just took my car in about four weeks ago to be serviced.
>Take my car in to get fixed.
>Close to $800 just to get it fixed.
>mfw.
Who else here has stories about their convention hype destroyed by sudden financial issues? I don't want to feel like the only one.

>> No.10149915

>>10149844
shouldn't this go in the feels thread?

>> No.10149924

This is when you sell feet pics on insta

>> No.10149967

>>10149924
Nobody has ever offered me money for feet pics

>> No.10150000

>>10149967

Learn how to play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKTxU7xromw

>> No.10150078

>>10149844
get your fucking lives together, take a fucking break from cons, and go when you can actually afford it and pay your rent and school tuition
some of you guys dont realize that when you use your financial aid money, you have to pay it back. so many con going students graduate with 30,000 in debt because you dont realize this and also fail your classes because you blow all your money on con tickets, and your cosplays

>> No.10155141

>>10149844
Well, my convention plans fortunately were not ruined due to finance, however it did become a huge issue while setting up my cosplay before hand.
I wanted it to be as close to legitimate as possible... and it involved military gear... and one part of the general outfit was going for about $400 online and there was no decent, cheap alternatives.

I wound up getting lucky and finding one for $150 in near perfect condition, but it was still way more than I had the budget for at the time after I already spent $200+ on clothes and miscellaneous gear, having been only working at Burger King and still in HS at the time.

That was my introduction to "yeah decent cosplays will cost you some fucking cash", and it was refreshing to meet other 'veteran' cosplayers and discuss it with them at the con.

>> No.10155147

>>10149967
Post one pic and I might buy more if I like it, yo

>> No.10155316

>>10155147
Too much work, I'd need to exfoliate, shave, care for my nails, set up the camera and lighting, all for a freebie that you might not even follow up on? Nah, if I decide to do foot pics I wanna do it right

>> No.10155351

>>10155316
>Doesn't understand feet pics
You're not going to be successful.

>> No.10155370

>>10155351
Then enlighten me you wealthy foot pic merchant

>> No.10155514

Dont post freebies and if you do make them low res

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0RQuBnjPU8

>> No.10155525

>>10149844
>>Close to $800 just to get it fixed.

This is why people should have a growing savings account
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/06/19/heres-how-many-americans-have-nothing-at-all-in-savings.html

>> No.10155532

>>10149844
do you really need a car or do you just have it for convenience and comfortable transport? seriously think about this.
If it's the latter, then think about selling it. Cars can be real money cemeteries. I'm glad I never bought one and I likely saved so fucking much money.

>> No.10155557

>>10155532
>convenience

Thats a need

>> No.10155632

>>10155532
Most people in America need a vehicle because of the distances we are expected to travel. I have relatives that I have to see daily to check in on that live 30 minuets away by car, but it would turn into a 3 hour bus ride that only gets me part way there then I would have to pay $15 for a taxi/Uber for the rest of the way. This is just an example off the top of my head. But using public transport in America rarely gets you all the way to where you need to go, and when it does it still takes fucking ages

>> No.10155637

>>10155532
Assuming OP is from burgerland, yes cars are just as much as a necessity as water and electricity because Public transport is a myth in 99.9% of the country

>> No.10155641

>>10155632
Adding on, these relatives are in the same city as me, so it’s not as if I’m trying to travel in and out of a city every day.

>> No.10155676

Sorry OP, I feel you. My car is from 2003 and every day I'm so worried it's going to die on me and I'll have to either get a whole new car or pay a bunch to fix it. It sucks to watch my less responsible friends (adults, not teens) with rich parents go to all the cons and I never get to go because money is tight.

>>10149924
Real talk, anyone have any personal experience with this?

>> No.10155677

>>10149844
>Car repair bill over $3k no way in hell I can afford that
>Move in with parents since can't drive to a job
5 years later I'm a 32 year old neet.

>> No.10155683

>>10150078
damn anon you need new friends. I don't know a single person who is 30,000 in debt because they prioritized cosplay over school what the fuck

>> No.10155708

>>10150078
they go into 30k debt to get into a nonlucrative field like *gasp* art school

>> No.10155712

>>10155683
Like a single 3 day con shouldnt even cost more than 500$

>> No.10155726

>>10155676
I promise this is not at you specifically, just in general.

It sucks that because I am the type of person who is able to just up and go to a con, I get viewed as "less responsible." My parents aren't anywhere close to rich and they haven't supported me since the day I turned 18, which was almost 10 years ago. I put myself through school, got a good degree and a nice job with great benefits. It was not easy getting here, but I busted my ass when I was younger so I'd be able to just spontaneously go to conventions. You see me going to conventions but you don't see the years of shitty jobs I had to work through to get a resume good enough to get into my nice job, don't see the hours I put aside each week to budget so I never have to live the way my parents did, don't see the part where I missed out on having fun partying in college because I was the waitress instead, etc.

>> No.10155727

>>10149844
I kind of know that feel anon. One time right before a con my husband lost his job and I wasn't working. We had already paid for everything except for food and gas so we just said fuck it and went but ate pretty much nothing but sandwiches the whole weekend and didn't buy anything. We were still able to make his severance pay stretch until we found new jobs and are glad we went but it definitely was a little depressing still.

>> No.10155729

>Be me
>be poor
>have friend who really wants to go to japan
>Shes a trust fund kid
>Ask me if I will go with them several times, all within a month time to prepare
>keep telling her no
>One day she offers to pay all except half my plane fare
>Agree
>Plans fall throughbecause non related issues
>Makes another request to go
>verbally confirm with her the same offer is on the table
>she agrees
>do all the logistics for her because shes an autistic fuck and cant fucking call the bank let alone plan a trip
>Give her various options for flights hotels train tickets etc
>She picks all the most expensive ones
>go to japan
>shes a selfish cunt the whole time
>Still manage to enjoy myself
>Month or so after we get back
>She starts harassing me daily to pay her back
>Constantly calls me when I'm working or asleep
>Shes a trust fund kid who dose't work
>Claims how poor she is
>surejan
>She threatens to contact my family and out me
>Threatens litigation
>All I have is hearsay and it was written months before that Id slowly pay her back
>during all this she constantly tries to only talk to me via phone and no text
>yeah right I want everything in writing now
>Try to figure out a payment plan
>She demands $400 a month because MUH ANXIETY Apparently not having boatloads of cash gives her anxiety
>Hey not being able to pay bills gives ME anxiety
>Force her 200 a month
>Ask for receipts of what I owe because she clams its 6k
>She chimps out and contacts my father
>No one budges for her fatself
>only owe her 3k and not 6k like she insisted
>Get an email from her over the weekend that shes going to china for a month in may
>So much for being poor
I hope the group she's going with puts her in her place and fucking won't let her act like an entitled cunt or her autistic ass loudly says something about the Chinese government (because shed loudly make pooh bear jokes)
Meanwhile, I'm not even going to a single con for two years so this fat woman child can go to china

>> No.10155731

>>10155726
You are 100% not the type of person I am complaining about. I have a handful of adult friends who have low-paying jobs or no job at all and are obviously being supported by others to be able to go to four or five cons a year.

Also, I'm happy for them to get to do things they enjoy, I'm just secretly bitter that I don't get to do those things as well.