Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 297 KB, 1489x2048, 1429729834039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101208 No.10101208 [Reply] [Original] [rbt]

Let's focus on cosplayers that actually make their costumes instead of just buying them on Taobao.

>who are your favorite cosplayers?
>what recent costume has blown you away?
>who do you think is the most talented cosplayer?
>who are some lesser known skilled cosplayers?
>what new cosplay techniques do you want to try?
>if you could work as an apprentice under any talented cosplayer, who would you pick and why?

>> No.10101209
File: 162 KB, 1080x1350, 27021512_1539739096080042_3634587084343410620_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101209

Bonus question: should people who make their own cosplays have a special tag like #cosmakers to differentiate ourselves from generic cosplayers? Why or why not?

>> No.10101226 [DELETED] 

>>10101209
Just like a designer who also models their own clothes is both a model and a designer, being a cosplayer and a creator makes you both those things so technically your not a “cosplayer” and more of a “cosplayer/creator”.
Instead of just classifying yourself as cosplayers I think your valid in adding a cosmaker tag otherwise you’re only showing off one aspect of your talents, the modelling part, and not the part of “I actually fully made this”
All tags end up being corrupted into being meaningless though, “eg-Lolita being tagged even when it’s got shit all to do with Lolita and not even a peti in sight) you’ll get an influx of people buying cosplays and changing 1-2 things like adding a ribbon or a button and calling themselves “cosmakers” too so whatever.

>> No.10101240
File: 120 KB, 667x834, dasgeminii.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101240

>>10101208
I would give my left arm for an apprenticeship with J Hart except I kind of need it to sew. I really want to get good at making very structured garments, to me silhouette is one of the most important things I want to nail in cosplay and he's amazing at that. Also Cowbuttcrunchies, they're one of the biggest reasons I started cosplaying to begin with, but they're hobbyists so they have no use for an apprentice... There are so many more cosplayers whose work I love, I couldn't even start to list them all! I'll see if I can drop a few pics

>> No.10101244
File: 94 KB, 1080x1350, helenalice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101244

>>10101240

>> No.10101249
File: 187 KB, 1080x1080, ptytb.art.atelier.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101249

>>10101244
hot glue wizard

>> No.10101252
File: 225 KB, 843x1054, ptytb seth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101252

>>10101249
same cosplayer, that fan in the back is entirely freehand hot glue and wooden skewers

>> No.10101259
File: 155 KB, 1080x1349, enaylacosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101259

>>10101252

>> No.10101261
File: 218 KB, 942x1179, enaylaguildwars.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101261

>>10101259
I love that she cosplayed a character who's two feet tall and decided the best way to look small was to build a 12ft tall robot

>> No.10101270
File: 117 KB, 1080x1080, viciouscosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101270

>>10101261

>> No.10101273
File: 122 KB, 1022x1022, ivysenvies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101273

>>10101270

>> No.10101277
File: 93 KB, 1080x1080, msmajorsam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101277

>>10101273

>> No.10101280
File: 279 KB, 1080x1351, nikitacosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101280

>>10101277

>> No.10101286
File: 133 KB, 1080x1080, camellia.cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101286

>>10101280

>> No.10101294
File: 177 KB, 1080x1080, december_wynn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101294

>>10101286

>> No.10101297

>>10101277
Man I thought this was a painting from the thumbnail. Those colors and details are to die for.

>> No.10101299
File: 93 KB, 1000x750, sarcasm_hime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101299

>>10101294

>> No.10101300

>>10101299
end dump, for now

>>10101297
she's very talented!

>> No.10101398

I’m so excited for a thread like this. I’ve been cosmaking for 8 years and one of the most rewarding parts of the hobby is seeing yourself improve and grow, and the beautiful things you can do with your own two hands. It makes me kind of sad that a lot of that has been lost in today’s current community, and buying is the main route people take. Not that I have anything against people who do, I just personally have so much more appreciated for the countless hours and hard work that go into a single garment.

>> No.10101413

I would love to follow people who make their own costumes! If you post your handle I'll definitely follow

>>10101209
I try to browse through cosplay progress tags to find seamster/seamstresses. It's usually very easy to tell who makes or buys their costumes.

>> No.10101473

Thank you for this thread, OP. I was buying cosplays for the longest time (felt too scared to sew anything and thought I'd fuck up badly) but I realized that the hobby lacked substance for me if I just bought everything off taobao and threw it on.

I'm dedicating myself to make costumes from here on out, and this thread gives me inspiration to git gud and stop being a lazy fuck.

>> No.10101479

>>10101473
Good luck anon, it won't be easy and you'll pick a lot of seams but the satisfaction of your pile of supplies turning into a garment is worth it

>> No.10101509
File: 56 KB, 640x960, 23167901_1757353887670015_2016538022671491777_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101509

>>10101280
>>10101277
>>10101259
>>10101261
absolutely beautiful! i also love cowbuttcrunchies. im also always super impressed by what henchmen studios does. i wish i knew more less well known cosplayers who make amazing things i know they're out there though

>> No.10101512
File: 275 KB, 1500x1000, 20232365_782354658602457_1177657774669521425_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101512

>>10101509
its harder to find their non overwatch stuff and their website doesn't have a great gallery

>> No.10101514
File: 866 KB, 1500x2246, DSC00682-Edit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101514

>>10101512
oh whoops it does have a gallery just slow to load i guess or not for all

>> No.10101516
File: 703 KB, 2500x1670, DSC00642.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101516

>>10101514
huge props to anyone who builds giant cosplays desu

>> No.10101561
File: 743 KB, 2048x2048, 31F5BFA2-607A-42BE-8C7C-B7BF5947C444.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101561

Is not making your own cosplays really that unpopular? I always thought that it was standard to do everything or almost everything yourself if you are an adult and cosplaying.

Anyways here are some of my favs. Sorry if they were already mentioned.

>Helenalicesews
>Kirileecosplay
>Msmajorsam
>Emily.Aurelia
>December_wynn

& unpictured
>Giraffe_cos
>Atelierheidi

>> No.10101572

>>10101512
>>10101514
Wow these are gorgeous! I hadn’t heard of them before so ty for sharing anon.

>>10101561
Yeah making cosplays is slowly becoming less popular even among cosplayers in their 20’s. It’s sad because the love and care that goes into making a cosplay is lost and now people favor waifu tiddy over accuracy and technique.

>> No.10101580

>>10101259
If only she wasn't such a bitch

>> No.10101601

>>10101273
This makes me so happy, because the original dress is so gorgeous and this replica is just perfect!

>> No.10101602

>>10101277
Sam is one of, if not my absolute favorite cosplayers. Everything she makes is a work of art!

>> No.10101604

>>10101561
Bless Kirilee for the stunning Flora!!

>> No.10101615

>>10101209
As long as something like that stays low-key. I don't want costhots picking up on it.

I think a word to differentiate from cosplayers and people who make the cosplay and are into costuming would be great. There could be top cosmakers instead of "top cosplayers" aka the sex workers on patreon who put on a wig.

I think it could gain traction and there could be a much needed divide between costhots and costume makers who cosplay. It could potentially get cosplay back to what it used to be.

>> No.10101630

>>10101572
The rise in mainstream popularity and necessity to push out constant content for like Patreon and similar have contributed to buying vs. making. It'd be really tough for most people to have to sew and style from near scratch every week or month for financial gain and/or e-fame without burning out or making it a full-time job. Chinese labor is cheap but that's always been there for decades.

>> No.10101644

>>10101630
that and people learning to buy from taobao and ali making it easier for people to get their hands on things for cheap

>> No.10101647
File: 103 KB, 678x1024, daftpunk04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101647

>>10101561
I make my cosplays maybe 65% of the time. But I'm in my late 30s and have been doing this since my teens. Burnout sometimes hits, so I find it nice to buy things that I can wear for fun without stressing and breaking the bank. It's also not my only hobby so I pick and choose what I'd like to spend my time on. I really love the crafting aspect of it though, when I can control just how much detail goes into my favorite characters. Then there are the odd ones where I pick a portion of what I'd like to make myself, and commission the rest because fuck being unhappy with a final product due to lack of time or skill or my stress. If I'm happy wearing the final result, that's what really matters most to me.

I love watching the people that craft with leather the most. But I've got to save up a lot to get the tools I need to start making the things I'd like to make. GSTQ fashions is probably my favorite cosplayer to watch create. Also, fuck the person that stole a bunch of pieces from her shop.

>> No.10101649
File: 1.69 MB, 950x1194, pitchforkcosplay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101649

@PitchforkCosplay has an almost unbelievable level of craftsmanship and detail in her projects

>> No.10101650
File: 2.98 MB, 1190x1192, whitemajesty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101650

>>10101649
@WhiteMajesty does some of the prettiest Fire Emblem builds!

>> No.10101651
File: 1.78 MB, 1194x1008, squeakadeekn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101651

>>10101650
@Squeakadeekn is super polished in everything they do as well

>> No.10101652
File: 199 KB, 1200x802, cosmiccoterie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101652

>>10101651
Finally, @CosmicCoterie are basically the gods of Sailor Moon cosplay. Almost all fuku-makers I know are where they are because of their tutorials and patterns.

Will try to come back and post more cosmakers later!

>> No.10101653

>>10101630
It’s also sometimes just cheaper to buy sometimes. Way back when your only options were

1. Pay a moderate amount of money to a shady eBay seller and get a satin monstrosity
2. Spend a lot of money to commission a costume from a reputable seller
or
3. Pay a decent amount of money AND dedicate time and effort to making a costume from scratch

But now you can get a passable costume off amazon prime in two days, and you can see reviews to make sure it’s legit and see how it fits. You can go to miscostumes, fanolusfriend or ezcostumes instead of setsunakou and limebarb. There’s more options now. People who back in the day were forced to make a cosplay and ended up developing a talent now can just buy it and move on.

>> No.10101655

>>10101561
Now hang on a minute. I’m not here to start drama, but are we REALLY putting Kirilee on the same level as Major Sam here? Everyone in her home town knows that the only reason she got as far as she did is because she got her WCS partner, who’s an actual seamstress with credentials, to babysit her through it. I know both of them, and the only reason Kirilee got to where she was is because she got massive amounts of help and then dumped her partner because she wasn’t as ‘cos-famous’ (I.e. didn’t buy likes and is a plus-sized cosplayer).

I’m sorry but if you guys are honestly foolish enough to think this person is on the same skill level as the others in the collage, get your eyes checked.

>> No.10101658

>>10101653
It's almost always cheaper to buy if you're not paying for western labor wages. I sort of wish this sort of resource was available a longer time ago, but it means even less people who might have developed their skills up to now. I would've bought my costumes in the past, but as a broke-ass college student then, I ignored the cost of labor hours onto myself and stuck with sewing my own cosplay (rather poorly out of T-shirts and shit).

>> No.10101694

>>10101655
I was simply going by what I knew and from my understanding she made the costume herself. The construction seemed good and some of her photos she took during making it were helpful for understanding the process and gave me ideas to apply to my own costumes. That's why I included her.

>> No.10101702

>>10101653
Yep, I agree on this. I make most of my stuff, mostly because I'm incredibly picky about details and fit, but if it's a casual, easy costume (like a seifuku or similar) without a lot of details and hard to screw up fit, it's easier to buy it. And even if the fit is messed up, I can always alter it to fit. I've only bought a few things but it gave me more time to work on stuff I can't buy as easily at the quality that I want.

>> No.10101706

>>10101694
Not trying to make you feel bad, Anon, but honestly her sewing was beginner-tier without the help of her sewing partner, and her stuff is pretty basic. Major Sam, Helen Alice, all of them have deep, factual knowledge of how sewing actually works and understanding of undergarments, pinnings, so forth. But hey, you go ahead and like her, just don't bother learning half-assed tutorials from her because her understanding of construction is basic at best.

>> No.10101718

I always feel a bit nervous about self-promoting on here but as some people were specifically asking for less well known people to follow, if you search for "Maz's Costume/Crafting and Tutorial Page" on Facebook, I have all my hand-made costumes on there with detailed writeups, as well as a number of tutorials aimed at beginners, and links to my YouTube videos on how to get to grips with a sewing machine. I also sporadically stream over at http://www.twitch.tv/mazcosstuff, which is also my Instagram handle (I'm not very good at IG though haha).

I will never have a Patreon, Ko-fi or any form of paywall for my content, so take what you need and pass it on :)

>> No.10101739

>>10101647
Wait, someone stole from her shop? Who the fuck? Also what's the point, wouldn't the pieces be recognized?

>> No.10101750
File: 100 KB, 720x960, egg sisters reinhardt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101750

>>10101516
Speaking of giant costumes, the egg sisters' Reinhardt is incredible
>>10101561
eh, giraffe_cos' work is cute but a bit basic, I wouldn't put her on the level of Heidi or Major Sam
>>10101580
wym?
>>10101647
Same, I like making impressive costumes but I also have some that are mostly thrifted, it just feels like a waste to spend $20 or $30 on materials and 10 hours of work on a pair of pants that I can pick up for $5. It's nice having simple and comfy costumes to wear on sundays!
>>10101655
You're not wrong, I followed her because of her amazing WCS progress but I'm a bit disappointed by her newer stuff, I guess this is why. It's just weird that she would dump giorgia for this when she's herself plus size and barely has 2k on instagram. I like her energy and her maximum poof petticoat but she's not what I expected.

>> No.10101751

>>10101750
Spilling insider knowledge on Kirilee tea:
- She doesn't know how to sew above anything basic. Georgia helped her pattern almost all her WCS stuff
- She's super thirsty for fame and her more recent stuff (eg: her Ariel) really shows how basic her sewing is when she doesn't have anyone teeling her how to do stuff
- Her 'ultimate floof' petticoat that she sells for $100+ on Ebay as handmade is actually Aliexpress petticoats sewn on a new waistband

>> No.10101754

>>10101751
>Her 'ultimate floof' petticoat that she sells for $100+ on Ebay as handmade is actually Aliexpress petticoats sewn on a new waistband
For real? That can't be above board, do you have evidence per chance?

>> No.10101757
File: 256 KB, 1201x487, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101757

>>10101754
The original petticoat she made for WCS was ribbon edged and she handmade that with pre-cut tulle. But if you look on her ebay account, you can see it's not tulle but that plastic-y netting that cheap chinese pettis are made of. I know because I have the same ones for my loli dresses and I can spot them a mile away.

>> No.10101759
File: 429 KB, 1892x1660, capture2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101759

>>10101757
Meant to say her Etsy, whups

>> No.10101760

>>10101759
Well, I'm disappointed in her but I'm taking notes for when I need a petticoat like that

>> No.10101771

>>10101757
>>10101759
Some of y’all have never touched a sewing machine in your lives and it shows.

>> No.10101777

>>10101771
wym?

>> No.10101783

>>10101771
>literally the exact same skirt sewn on a new yoke and waistband
>doubled up for extra volume

I mean sure, if I was making a petti, I wouldn't have the hem at all different lengths pecause I would have made it myself, but do enlighten.

>> No.10101812
File: 844 KB, 1080x1776, 20190211_021301.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101812

>>10101655
I'm glad I am not the only one with thoughts like this.
I started following her after hearing she was the WCS winner because I like to support and follow cosplayers who are repping Aus. So far everything has been pretty mediocre from her, and honestly I wasn't even all that impressed with her Cure Flora.

She really shouldn't be trying to pump out tutorials with her obviously basic skills, I mean just look at these Ariel slippers, bad.

Girl, if you are reading this please focus on improving your skills rather than trying to educate others with your imperfect ones.

>> No.10101825

>>10101812
If you want to follow a WCS contestant, just follow her ex partner. She might be fat but at least she has a degree in sewing.

>> No.10101829

>>10101812
yeahhhhh those are pretty terrible. Giorgia definitely carried the team for the WCS.

>> No.10101834

>>10101718
Thank you for not putting anything behind a paywall. I love seeing progress and tutorials, I miss the days when people shared them for free. I'm mostly an IG user, so I followed you there!

>>10101739
Yeah, it's on her FB with details on what to look for. That's what she's hoping is that they will be recognized and found.

>> No.10101836
File: 95 KB, 1080x1350, itsakatt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101836

ok enough bagging on Kirilee here's more quality cosplays

>> No.10101840

>>10101750
Giraffe_cos is a gull. It's probably a self-post kek.

>> No.10101842
File: 143 KB, 1080x1350, chrixdesign.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101842

>> No.10101843

>>10101834
I'll keep an eye out then!

>> No.10101844
File: 209 KB, 1080x1350, 50246548_225997378346638_6179474060522359373_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101844

>>10101842
How could I forget our queen Kamui Cosplay

>> No.10101846
File: 133 KB, 1080x1350, jakcosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101846

>>10101844

>> No.10101848
File: 175 KB, 1080x1191, lightning_cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101848

>>10101846

>> No.10101850
File: 147 KB, 1080x1350, symphoniacosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101850

>>10101848

>> No.10101851
File: 61 KB, 1080x1080, downen_creative_studios.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101851

>>10101850

>> No.10101853
File: 219 KB, 1080x1080, sewpoke_cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101853

>>10101851

>> No.10101858
File: 92 KB, 1080x1080, ibelinncosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101858

>>10101853

>> No.10101862
File: 219 KB, 1080x1302, knit_freak_cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101862

>>10101858
another seriously underrated cosplayer!

>> No.10101875
File: 1.96 MB, 956x1178, marriedmakers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101875

@MarriedMakers

>> No.10101876
File: 1.45 MB, 1188x804, amenokitarou.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101876

>>10101875
@AmenoKitarou

>> No.10101877
File: 1.76 MB, 858x1180, amazonmandy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101877

@AmazonMandy

>> No.10101878
File: 1.57 MB, 774x1178, bird_king.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101878

>>10101877
@Bird_King

>> No.10101880
File: 1.14 MB, 832x1194, ellothincosplay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101880

>>10101877
@EllothinCosplay

>> No.10101882
File: 1.90 MB, 1112x1098, crescentshay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10101882

>>10101880
@CrescentShay

>> No.10101884

>>10101882
>the dress I wish they'd put on Belle in the live action adaptation instead of that aliexpress bridesmaid monstrosity

>> No.10101892

>>10101844
And like the actual queen she is old and outdated.

>> No.10101917

>>10101892
Why? I think her current projects are just as good as her older ones. Nergigante last year was incredible.

>> No.10101927

>>10101892
How so? Her recent stuff is pretty awesome

>> No.10101930

>>10101840
LOL is she? that's probably how i follow her then. i just wanted to include her because even if her work is simple it's consistently clean.

>> No.10101942

>>10101812
Is it bad I followed her for this awful show tutorial because I thought it was bad and wanted to see what other tutorials she thought she was all that over.

>> No.10102077

>>10101836
Holy fuck the gradient dye on that is gorgeous!

>>10101878
She's so cute

>> No.10102152

>>10101718
Followed you on twitch! I stream cosplay making as well. I wouldnt consider myself good but I've been creating my own cosplays for a decade now lol so I can at least say I sew lol I hope to see you stream cosplay eventually !

>> No.10102159

>>10101892
You just sound like a bitter asshole. Sorry not trying to start drama but that's pretty lame of you to say shes "old and outdated" when shes still out there killing it. What are you doing?

>> No.10102180

>>10101718
>>10102152
I’m interested in starting to stream my cosplay progress. Do you guys have any advice on starting a twitch or general streaming tips?

>> No.10102243

>>10102180
Do it a second time for the camera, don't stream your first attempt. It's reallY slow and boring if 80% of the stream is just measuring and pinning and studying the details. Stream watchers are generally younger folks with the attention span of small birds and if you don't have something substantial done by the end of a session…

>> No.10102255

>>10102152
Thanks for the follow! I'll be streaming some cosplay pretty soon, when I'm no longer just putting endless layers of PVA glue on bits of foam =_=

>>10102180
Okay, let me just say that I have a very low-tech streaming setup and I do not stream particularly frequently, so this is more me sharing what I do rather than saying "you should do this".

Firstly, you don't need loads of kit to get started - I am streaming using my laptop built in webcam and microphone most of the time. My laptop is just running OBS Studio with a transparent PNG of my reference art in the bottom corner overlaying my overall camera image. If you have too much setup before you stream or it's not very portable, then you end up spending more time faffing around with that than actually making your costume on stream, and obviously the costume ain't gonna make itself!

Sometimes, depending on what I'm doing, I'll plug in an external webcam that I can position somewhere to give a better view of what I'm doing, but it's usually balanced in some precarious area of my limited sewing space XD I find it challenging to have the setup some streamers have where one camera shows my face and the other what I'm doing, because I'm up and down all the time when I'm making cosplay - cutting stuff, moving around to pin things, taking something to the sewing machine etc. I think the dream setup would be to have a Logitech C920 plugged in somewhere up high with a USB extension lead to give an overall view of what I'm doing and a second more portable camera for closeups. I run twitch chat separately on the twitch app on my phone so I can have that nice and portable and not be twisting to look at the laptop screen.

I disagree with the user above about content as my viewers are usually other makers who are looking for something to watch when they're not streaming. I don't think it really matters too much what you're doing if you're able to talk about other stuff while you're doing it. 1/2

>> No.10102264

>>10102180
I'll freely stream tedious things like pattern cutting and pinning because it makes it a bit more fun when people are chatting to you while you do it. Wig work is fun to stream as well because again you can chat as you go - the verbal chat is the important thing IMO as people usually put a twitch stream on for background noise while they are doing something else and aren't always watching the stream. I don't think you need anything that substantial to show at the end - as long as it's starting to come together that's all that matters, it's not like you need a finished garment or whatever.

It's also not like you have to stream for hours as well, you can do a short stream of something specific if you want to.

I don't bother to save my streams as separate vods, like if I wanted to do a full tutorial I'd film that separately and upload to YouTube. It's just a fun way of sharing some of the making progress for anyone who's vaguely interested, as far as I'm concerned. You'd be surprised who tunes in, depending on your time zone!

Lastly, at the beginning I was really hesitant of streaming me doing anything with the sewing machine, I thought it would be hideous listening to the thumping of that for ages while trying to talk over the top of it, so I used to mute the whole stream on OBS while I did so - actually, there's no need, people mind that much less than complete silence! I now use a Logitech 820e headset when I'm streaming sewing as it's a headset designed for telephone use so it filters out the sewing machine noises XD

The only other consideration IMO is lighting and choice of fabrics - I can't stream working with black fabric in anything other than natural daylight, my existing webcams just don't have the Res to cope and you literally can't see anything I've drawn on the fabric. I took the lamp shade off my ceiling light in the sewing room!

Otherwise, just go for it, and take on board any technical comments and suggestions from twitch chat as you go!

>> No.10102266

>>10101718
>Maz's Costume/Crafting and Tutorial Page
Followed you on Facebook! That rainbow wig is gorgeous and now I want to try dying a wig myself.

>> No.10102276

>>10102266
Thank you! I used the Neon FW Ink range for the vibrant colours with also a very concentrated dye:surgical spirit ratio. It took quite a long time because I was a crazy and wanted to replicate the multiple layers of different gradients, so I had to do it with a paint brush rather than spray bottle and comb, but it paid off! It does make the wig a bit crunchy but careful combing, a few cold water douses and a round in a tub with a capful of fabric softener will help a lot! Good luck, it's really fun :D On the pinned post on my Facebook page you can find a link to some slides I made on the general FW ink technique. Give it a go, it really is good fun! :D

>> No.10102282

>>10102264
Honest question, sewing is a very visual and hands-on task, so how would one plausibly look away to a screen to read comments and reply without slowing down progress massively? Also most people do their pinning/sewing/ironing/references on different work stations, wouldn't the streamer have to constantly break away to check the stream? Would you need a set up that reads comments out loud?

>> No.10102325

>>10102282
NAYRT and I don’t stream so idk if this is accurate but theoretically twitch streamers could stick their laptop/monitor behind their sewing machine and just look up every once in a while to read comments. If they use a camera that isn’t their built-in webcam, they can set their camera up elsewhere for a good angle while still being able to read comments.
They could also rearrange their work space in more stream-friendly way so that they don’t need to move far away to work on a different part of their costume. (Ex moving their ironing board close to their desk)

>> No.10102348

>>10102282

I just have it on my phone. Sewing is stop start, especially the applique work I often do. Plenty of opportunities to glance at chat and it's not like I'm super famous and get tons of people in. I like it, it's pretty chill :D If I really wanted to I could put twitch chat onto my TV in the sewing room via Chrome cast and have it nice and big on there :3 People don't mind if you take a few mins to reply.

>> No.10102416
File: 233 KB, 640x785, 1C57A1CD-4C1A-4F9C-A0FE-C536B7D99C10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10102416

@cifera i totally forgot about her and how much i loved her work. she’s been inactive for years but she’s opening commissions now to make cosplay for others since she doesn’t want to wear them herself anymore

>> No.10102417
File: 118 KB, 640x764, 9DF6B6E6-DEDB-4D1B-9A72-8C6F4084A16E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10102417

>>10102416

>> No.10102418
File: 147 KB, 640x615, 96FDA8E8-CB56-40FB-A6A4-B458A80D9EAD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10102418

>>10102417

>> No.10102420

>>10102416
>>10102416
I love Cifera so much! I always hoped she would come back to the scene, but I'm just happy she's doing commissions again.

>> No.10102608
File: 662 B, 44x38, 1451879940502.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10102608

>>10102416
>cifera

Whoa I had forgotten about her too! I loved her cosplays, it's good to know she taking commissions at least.
Does anyone know why she stopped in the first place?

>> No.10102612

>>10102608
I think she said she just lost interest? Which is definitely fair. She was the only staple in the community who was't filled with drama back then, so I'll definitely miss her.

>> No.10102617

>>10102608
>>10102612
she made a post on insta about why she left, though its been deleted now i think i remember it being health and resulting body image issues which is sadbut im glad she is able to keep making stuff even if not for herself

>> No.10102636

>>10101561
Yes and no, cosplay itself has become more popular, but making your cosplay has not increased at the same rate.
At the same time it became easier to buy relatively nice cosplays for cheaper, And around the same time Instagram became the primary social media for cosplayers. IG’s algorithms prioritize quantity over quality, as well as novelty. Pervious platforms have a share function that allows truly great cosplay photos to have much higher reach.
> tl;dr Instagram rewards buying lots of shit instead of making it.

>> No.10102684

Idk what the criteria for "less known" is but here are some accounts with less than 5k.
>alpacaash (800+)
>xoxoindi_designs (wig styling, 4.8k)
>atelierlicorice (2k)
>elysiumsans (1.2k)
>kimidoricosplay (3.9k)
>tiffanydeancosplay (3.5k)

>> No.10102706

Has anyone here ever gotten a cosplay or even just costuming or tailor apprenticeship/internship? How do you even get those? Just email someone and try not to look desperate?

>> No.10102710

>>10102706
I remember that AtelierHeidi did an internship at GSTQ fashions but that's the only instance I've seen for cosplay specifically

>> No.10102734

>>10102706
You could probably find sewing internships at local theatres, small local brands, bridal shops, etc. I doubt there's cosplay specific internships anywhere outside of Asia though.

>> No.10102970

>>10102706
Check your local colleges. My community college has a sewing program and at the end of your chosen program they have alterations internships or various other sewing related internships. They also have a costuming internship through the sewing department. My local college also has a theater production program which can include internships as well as actual jobs. Local theaters often hire out of the schools.

>> No.10103084

>>10101615
Tbh I think #cosmaker or something similar could work. As long as the tag has the word "maker" or "making" in it, there's no way for costhots to steal it since they can't use cookie cutter excuses like "cosplay is about embodying the character, not how you made the costume" or "cosplay just means costume play and doesn't require you to make anything".

>> No.10103094

>>10102706
Theatre is usually a good place to start! I went to school for theatre design that included some sewing classes and practicums in wardrobe.

I'm not sure where you're based or your skill level, but there are places like the Banff Centre for the Arts that offer practicums. They will post listings on their website and you submit an application/portfolio. Other options, at least in Canada, are summer Shakespeare festivals and typically offer positions in wardrobe.

>> No.10103095

>>10102706
>>10103094
Forgot to mention it before but it honestly never hurts to email them! You can express interest in working for them and ask if they offer programs or when they typically hire.

>> No.10103261

Small super local theaters and programs would probably bring you on without experience if you were willing to volunteer

>> No.10103279

>>10102416
I used to love Cifera and her cosplays until she made a whole "I'm gonna pick up this popular BL game everybody's hyping and live comment as I play it, to make fun of it and it's fanbase because it's totally dumb and cringey", and then she made 3 or 4 cosplays from it. I used to look up to her as have her as a cosplay inspo and that whole thing just left a bitter taste.

>> No.10103613

>>10103279
This behavior is so weird and I’ve seen other cosplayers make costumes from series that they supposedly hate. Why cosplay something if you don’t like the source material?

>> No.10103930

>>10103613
I mean I hate miku but I’m possibly going to cosplay her because I need to finish out a group or because some of her outfits are super detailed!

>> No.10104003

>>10103930
Yeah, exactly. I cosplayed from fucking Voltron because my friends were, and I also think Allura has a nice design. You don't have to be a fan of the source material to cosplay from it.

>> No.10104007

>>10103279
>>10103613

Maybe it's just their way of reacting to things but they enjoy them? To be fair I don't know this person or what they said exactly.

I thought it was dumb that KH3 had a full song in one world and another world has you running around doing miniquests for the princess. I still think it's dumb, but now I love the game because it's kinda OTT dumb, and I still love the Disney movies they're related to. Probably couldn't have figured that out from a reaction vid because I burst out with a "are you fucking kidding me!?! Why!?!" both times though.

Although, I guess if it was a cosplayer that was openly disdainful of the fandom and only did the cosplays for the followers it nets her, then yes, that would turn me off. I'm not into cosplayers, I just want to find other people that like the stuff that I like, not just pretend to like it for followers.

>> No.10104185

>>10103930
>>10104003
Yeah but in those cases you're cosplaying something despite the source because you like the design. It's in bad taste for Cifera to do this for the sole purpose of trashtalking the people in the fandom.

>> No.10104385

>>10103279
>>10103613
>>10104185
This was her humor guys. It's like a guilty pleasure - I can genuinly enjoy something while admitting that it's got dumb or ridiculous aspects. DMMD was pretty cringey, doesn't mean she didn't actually like it. I made fun of Homestuck (and still do) for years while actively cosplaying from it and being involved in the community because it's fanbase was awful and the series itself is immensely goofy and memey. I loved the hell out of Homestuck the whole time. Y'all taking it too seriously.

I was glad to see her opening up commissions again. Always really liked her work and her personality.

>> No.10104391

>>10104385
With Homestuck in particular it was customary for HS fans to make fun of HS, it wasn't to be mean, just a genuine fandom-wide in-joke

>> No.10104396

do I need to make all my cosplays to be considered a cosmaker? I mean, I have a fully selfmade costumes, partly comissioned ones (I'm more of a propmaker than a tailor) and basic stuff bought on taobao too
do I (and ppl like me) count?

>> No.10104413

>>10104385
Oh wait lol, this is DMMD? Yeah man, when that was big me and my friends got together to play it and just totally ripped it apart while playing. But hey, we still did a cosplay group, because just because we made fun of something doesn't mean we didn't like it. DMMD is a perfect mix of cringe and quality so I totally get her reaction.

>> No.10104424

>>10104396
Of course you count. Just don't label anything you didn't make under cosmaker.

>> No.10104429

>>10104396
Yeah, of course, I know plenty of crafters who have some store-bought cosplays just because it's easy to get a school uniform or a sports jersey ready-made and it's time consuming to make yourself something that won't be better than the store version. As long as you use the tags only on things you've made and you don't try and pass the store-bought ones as your work I don't see a problem with it. A chef doesn't stop being a chef if they decide to eat frozen pizza for dinner.

>> No.10104842

>>10104396
OP here. I agree with the other anons. I think that as long as you make a majority of your costumes, credit people when you commission pieces, and don't try to pass off bought costumes as your own, then it's fine to call yourself a cosmaker.
Every cosplayer is gonna have at least a couple of bought costume nowadays because like >>10104429 said, there are some things that are just better/cheaper to buy than make.

>> No.10107319

The day online stores stop selling already made cosplays we'll see a massive drop of cosplayers worldwide. Or they'll finally move their asses, start making their own cosplays and developing their skills.

It's a pity people are so lazy. Teenage years are the best for developing any kind of skill. Once you are an adult, it's harder to start learning something.

Most of the hate and drama in the cosplay world comes from people who literally do nothing, but want all the credit and fame for it. Making their own cosplays would suck their energy to bitch out. It would be a win/win situation.

Sorry for the rant, but I know too many people like this and I'm tired of them. This thread keeps my mood up.

>> No.10107343

>>10107319
I think everyone in this thread feels the same way. I hate seeing costhots like JNig and the girl pho photoshops her clothes to look like cosplays lauded as "omg such amazing cosplayers" when there are actually talented cosplayers that get ignored for cosplaying the same thing. It's frustrating and tiring to see the hobby that you put so much work and love into turn into a battle over who shows more skin for fame and money.

>> No.10107352

>>10103084
>there's no way for costhots to steal it
I mean you'd think so but I bet people who hot glue trims to a bikini or modify thrifted pieces/closet cosplay would tag themselves anyway because "I made it!!!! I didn't buy a finished product!!!" or because they styled the wig or something.

the best way to find quality content is probably to just find individual accounts to follow.

>> No.10107357

>>10102706
Some colleges do placements as part of their curriculum. For example, in Southern Ontario, Fanshawe College has a costuming diploma and the last entire semester is a practicum. But it does necessitate going to school and everything that entails.

However, I will add that as far as admission requirements go you either need a certain grade in a previous fashion/sewing diploma, or just a good enough portfolio/resume to get in.

>> No.10107464

>>10101759
I have 4 petticoats all of varying brands and poofs and they look incredibly similar. Your autism is showing

>> No.10107909

>>10107464
Countering this statement by letting you know she asked me personally where I got my petticoat from, and I have physically seen the petticoats at a convention and know they’re exactly the same as my cheap Ali one.

>> No.10109392

>>10107352
What’s the best way to counter costhots? Let’s face it, they’re not going anywhere especially because normies love them so more and more girls are becoming costhots.

>> No.10109454

>>10109392
Basically try to bring cosmakers into the spotlight. Costhots are currently the face of the community because they get the most attention from media, conventions, and financial supporters.

>Share makers' work on social media
>Request markers as cosplay guests at conventions. Demand good programming instead of the usual costhot "guest" with a booth.
>Support makers instead of costhots on patreon
>Call costhots what they are: either costhots or cosplay models

>> No.10109475
File: 184 KB, 950x534, 2014%2F10%2F01%2F60%2Fcostumethum.58b0c.jpg%2F950x534__filters%3Aquality%2890%29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10109475

>>10107319
>>10107343


Agreed.
I am done with low effort sex appeal pages. It just so lazy and so common. Sex has been injected into every aspect of life anyway, so they had to put it in a skilled hobby too. Yes we know people like sex, yes we know they like looking at girls and boys so they can think about having sex with them. But what we had here was a lovely marriage of skill and fandom and they are pretty much ruining what little respect the hobby had.

>> No.10109483
File: 334 KB, 800x600, dsc04031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10109483

Something from what I consider the best era of cosplay. 2002-2007

We were learning to work with wigs, we were using ever more complicated fabrics, and make up was just ramping up.

People had sexy cosplays but it wasn't the ONLY thing they did. Looks mattered but it wasn't the be all end all of the cosplay. Closet cosplay was fine for Sunday but you didn't do a whole ass photoshoot for it because you didn't make it.

You made your own shit or you wore an anime shirt to express your love for a show. That was it.

>> No.10109487

>>10101208
Every time I scroll past this thread and see the OP pic I think "man that is a gorgeously constructed and crafted butt-ugly dress design."

>> No.10109553

>>10109392
Ignore/block so they're not cluttering up the tags and ruining your enjoyment, and actively promote artists you like. Through patreon, likes, share4share etc.

>> No.10109632

>>10109392
They kept showing on my Twitter feeds so I've muted every account that posts almost all boobs for the sake of boobs (or if the person's icon is literally their boobs). It has helped a lot.

>> No.10109877

>>10109487
That's granado espada for you, every design rides the line between awesome and butt-ugly, some more successfully than others. And Joshua Hart could make a pile of garbage bags look like high fashion.

>> No.10110127
File: 222 KB, 1080x727, Screenshot_20190220-204141__01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10110127

@syrupcookie_cosplay definitely deserves more appreciation

>> No.10110866

>>10110127
Oh wow this is gorgeous, especially the scythe.

>> No.10110883

i have a friend who makes beautiful costume headpieces and does makeup looks for them, where would be the best place to post her? she doesn't make outfits yet. she doesn't think highly of her work but she's very talented

>> No.10110884

>>10110883
I think you can just drop a pic here with her instagram handle

>> No.10110893
File: 290 KB, 1391x2048, BC2B1741-7FEF-4403-B0FB-824F12BD3E59.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10110893

>>10110884
wasn’t sure if it was like cosplay and sewing makers [email protected] she does horns and things. inspires me all the time

>> No.10110929

>>10110893
That's awesome, I'm always a fan of horns/antlers full of ornaments

>> No.10112034

>>10109454
I’ve requested guests with amazing craftsmanship before and had tons of people go request the same guests. 50% of the requests in the thread were for the same craftsmanship guests. Instead we got Leon chiro. I’ve given up.

>> No.10112274

>>10112034
Thing is, you probably have way more Leon Chiro fangirls who want hottie cosplay guests requesting him instead. Don't give up - instead help convince the community to value craftsmanship. It's a long game but even in the past 2-3 years I've noticed more public support of crafters over pretty faces.

>> No.10112543

>>10112034
Cons will obviously prioritize guests that they think will draw in a big crowd but if you repeatedly request craftsmanship panels and cosmakers, cons will get the hint that people care about cosmakers and craftsmanship too.

>> No.10112623

>>10112274
It was actually very few people requesting him. Majority was requesting big craftsmanship judges. The director of this con always chooses models. Always. His staff tried to get craftsmanship people but he doesn’t listen. I’ve given up on local conventions. The reality of conventions is they have their criteria and usually it is having thousands of fans and being pretty.

>> No.10112647

>>10112623

name and shame man, what con

>> No.10114346

>>10112623
Seconding naming and shaming. I'd rather not attend cons who prioritize hot faces over good craftsmanship, especially if people are requesting cosmakers.

OT but does anyone else find Leon Chiro actually super unattractive? No matter how many times I see him, he just doesn't look attractive at all imo.

>> No.10114355

>>10114346

he just emanates a fuckboy aura and it ruins the whole package

>> No.10114372
File: 822 KB, 1104x1694, Screenshot_2019-02-25-18-32-02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114372

Lizard Leigh recently caught my attention with their PMMM Charlotte. Don't usually see people cosplaying her, so I was excited to see their progress.

>> No.10114499

>>10114346
I don't have an opinion on his looks, but I'm sick of cons who continue to promote him despite the common knowledge that he's dick to staffers and women in general. But people turn a blind eye because he's a "hot guy" with a big following.

>> No.10114500 [DELETED] 

Test

>> No.10114503
File: 1.49 MB, 1600x1600, SquareQuick_20181098539729.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114503

>> No.10114537

>>10114503
>Photo has a direct-from-phone-app filename
>Posting that infamous poorly constructed cake dress from Twitchcon

Girl, get out of this thread with that self posting. Nobody liked this dress then and nobody likes it now.

>> No.10114677

>>10114537
Who is this? The construction does look off, the bodice lacks shape when the era that inspired the design had very structured cone shaped stays and the skirt doesn't keep the cake shape at all, plus those tights look cheap as hell and clash with the outfit. Silhouette is so important with this kind of design, you can't prioritize detailing over basic structure.

>> No.10114702

>>10114503

This was such a joke

>> No.10114707

>>10114677
Athena's Adventure. Her original designs are always a little off but this cake dress was a lumpy mess. She's also a known selfposter. The thing I remember her the most for is an argument thread about breaking Versailles no cosplay rule, and then pretending to "find" the new thread where "someone else" posted her photoshoot.

>>https://warosu.org/cgl/thread/S8453009

>>https://warosu.org/cgl/thread/S8561000

There's no way this isn't a selfpost too. She doesn't belong within ten feet of a master level cosmaker list.

>> No.10114723

>>10114707
Well, at least she's improved since then?

>> No.10114728
File: 89 KB, 750x750, 51126636_381365659311451_2499611462339536812_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114728

>>10114723
I wouldn't say that lol

>> No.10114729

>>10114728
Her yellow Belle is nice, this one not so much

>> No.10114745
File: 413 KB, 1080x1794, IMG_20190226_091000_289.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114745

>>10114729
Is it really though?

>> No.10114747

>>10114745
It's not perfect but I like it a whole lot more than the cake one

>> No.10114749

>>10114747
Oh no doubt. But looking nicer than unmixed mashed potatoes doesn't mean you're one of the best crafters around.

Even if she did have craftsmanship worthy of this thread, I wouldn't include her just because of her attitude. Many of the more respected cosmaker spend their time contributing to the community and she does the opposite of that.

>> No.10114759

>>10114503
Wtf is this? It looks like a botched attempt at ripping off of Sakizo's style. It's neither elegant nor well constructed.

>> No.10114783

>>10114759
I'm not sure I've ever seen a successful attempt at imitating her style actually, now I'm curious if it's been done right

>> No.10114803

>>10114783
The problem is that most good cosplayers aren't also good designers. Original designs too often are overworked or aren't edited down, and "fancy" designs fall into this hole even more because it becomes a "pile on more stuff" game. Dessi desu and Sunsetdragon have a good design eye but they don't mimic that kind of elaborate style.

>> No.10114844
File: 100 KB, 1080x1350, ivorivet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114844

>>10114803
I really liked Cowbutt Crunchies and Ivorivet's sewing inspired designs, I guess Ivorivet's is somewhat Sakizou-like. Dessi and Sunsetdragon's designs are intricate but in a very different style.

>> No.10114847
File: 213 KB, 1080x1080, 42148545_826029114455043_2907996288363600358_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114847

>>10114844
The whole group

>> No.10114857
File: 524 KB, 1275x1913, tumblr_p4z6u3iEe01r35os0o2_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114857

>>10114847
I was going to post this group too. Here's a better shot of the other two.

>> No.10114859
File: 563 KB, 1280x1920, tumblr_p4z6u3iEe01r35os0o3_1280 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114859

>>10114857

>> No.10114884

>>10114859
I'm still obsessed with this corset, I love this style of wrought iron decor on vintage machines, I really want to incorporate it in a costume someday

>> No.10114885

>>10114847
Holy SHIT these are gorgeous. This is art.

>> No.10114895

>>10101825
What's her sm handle?

>> No.10114973
File: 105 KB, 640x799, 10711954751485370264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10114973

>>10114728
This was also something I made in 2 weeks from leftover fabric for a party. It needs more under structure but it was kinda a rush job.

I'm curious how people think I don't "give back"

I've done panels, posted progress and writen out the process of making certain costumes. Hell I used to run Metrocon and Anime South's cosplay departments.

I'm not super active on social media in general and tutorials take time I don't have, but I also don't have any means of asking money for content either.

Oh I also do photography for cosplayers.

But sure yeah, I've never "given back"

>> No.10114995

>>10114973
You fight anons the minute someone says something you don't like; I'd say your attitude's pretty shitty, especially for someone your age. Don't selfpost when you know you're gonna get blasted and go jerk off about how great you are elsewhere.

>> No.10114999

>>10114973
Since you've de-anoned, why don't you elaborate more on why this and >>10114503 rank you as an underappreciated skilled cosplayer? Does making something in a shorter period of time or give you more points even though the construction is flawed?

>> No.10115009

>>10114895
idk what sm means but it's @giorgiacostumes on instagram

>> No.10115038

>>10114973
God you really don't know how to selfpost subtly, do you?
I saw your progress pics in the undertale thread while you made this btw, it also looked pretty bad. The paint job is horrendous and that skirt construction, yikes.

>> No.10115042

>>10101209
People who don’t make cosplays should be considered cosplay models. -er denotes a person taking action in creative arts.

I can buy furniture and display it in my home, but it doesn’t make me a carpenter.

>> No.10115092 [DELETED] 

>>10115042
(I'm someone who makes cosplays as well)
But cosplay is just dressing up as a character, it doesn't explicitly state that you have to make your stuff.
If you make your cosplay, you're a crafter/seamstress, but we're all cosplayers. I don't think we should be trying to create a hierarchy when it's literally just a hobby.

>> No.10115094

>>10115042
(I'm someone who makes cosplays as well)
But cosplay is just dressing up as a character, it doesn't explicitly state that you have to make your stuff.
If you make your cosplay, you're a crafter/seamstress, but we're all cosplayers.

>> No.10115103

>>10115042
>tfw everything in this post is wrong

>> No.10115177

>>10115042
Back when I started cosplaying, buying your costumes was a shameful thing to do and nobody would take your picture or even consider you a real cosplayer. That's why I started making my own.

I wonder when this changed and buying premade costumes tarted to be the norm

>> No.10115559

>>10115177
When buying cheap Chinese costumes on the internet became incredibly easy and selection exploded. For the longest time, trying to buy online internationally was a huge hurdle and definitely not friendly for teens/college kids/budget minded people. eBay was about as adventurous as it got? Then sites like milanoo became popular and found a way to mass ship Chinese stuff, as shitty as the quality is. Then came knowledge of navigating Taobao and proxy buying. This coincided with the rise of simulcast streaming of anime, eliminating the delay of publicizing anime and reaching a broader audience, thereby increasing interest and awareness and number of people wanting to cosplay the hottest thing now. The bar got raised and lowered simultaneously. I think it was around 2012 when it really opened up.

>> No.10115561

>>10115009
Thanks! It's social media.

>> No.10115590 [DELETED] 

>>10114973
>>10114745
>>10114728
>>10114503


None of this looks that bad?
Is there some weird vendetta going on here?

>> No.10115593 [DELETED] 

>>10114973
>>10114728
>>10114503


None of this looks bad though?
I really don't get the hate.

Hell it's better I can see your hoopskirt belle up there and no one's blasting her.

>> No.10115696

>>10115177
This was never a thing unless the bought cosplays looked awful, which most did back in the day. You sound like you were and hung out with toxic people.

>> No.10115878

>>10115696
This was definitely a thing in my irl and online community. You may have just got lucky.

>> No.10116129

>>10115696
ntayrt but 10-15 years ago it was common knowledge that all Chinese made cosplays were both stupid expensive, and super shitty. I don't think I knew a single person back then who bought a premade cosplay, and the idea of doing it was laughable.

>> No.10116130

>>10116129

same - 'satin monstrosity' was common irt chinese costumes

>> No.10116151

>>10116129
People still commissioned cosplays, which is considered buying them, and it wasn't shameful. Obviously if you showed up wearing a satin monstrosity people would look down on you, but it was less about the fact that you bought them and more about the fact that you looked like shit.

>> No.10116181

>>10116151
I don't think people have ever looked down on commissioned cosplays, even when cosplay was newer. I was referring to overseas, mass produced cosplays, which is how most people buy cosplays nowadays.

>> No.10116193

>>10116181
The point I was trying to make is that the reason people don't look down on buying cosplays these days is because the quality has increased and generally it looks fine. As long as you take the time to find a good quality taobao shop and fit it to your size, you'll probably look decent. The reason people looked down on buying from china before wasn't because the clothes were bought, it was because they looked terrible. Otherwise people would look down on commissioning cosplays as well, since you're still buying the cosplay.

>> No.10116234

>>10116151
>>10116181
>>10116193
10 years ago, in my small european-country community, you were only expected to comission your cosplay if you were just starting out. If you had an amazing costume and people figured out you had comissioned it, it was horrible because everyone would fall on you and tear you apart.

So much that these days you can still have conversations about wether someone bought their costume or not.

Probably because most people still assume most cosplays are handmade, and when they discover it comes from China they get disappointed

>> No.10116293

>>10116234

Europe still has very different norms for cosplay and making than the US does.

>> No.10116508

>>10116193
And my point was that it wasn't just "toxic people" who side eyed Chinese bought cosplays back then. Turning your nose up at a badly made cosplay is a universal thing, both then and now.

>> No.10116510

>>10116508
Your reading comprehension skills are clearly lacking. >>10115696 doesn't say anything about Chinese cosplays, it's replying to the previous statement "buying your costumes was a shameful thing to do and nobody would take your picture or even consider you a real cosplayer".
Here it is again, nice and slow for you: people side eyed the cosplays because they were bad, not because they were bought. The people circlejerking about who REALLY made their cosplays were toxic, just like they are now.

>> No.10116607
File: 110 KB, 500x749, tumblr_nbrf4tz6Op1rnnucjo2_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10116607

>>10114372
Seconding Lizard Leigh - they first caught my attention with a well-constructed Jane from Tarzan (including undergarments and support garments), but their take on a kaiju sealed the deal
>I fucking love Pacific Rim

>> No.10116615
File: 120 KB, 1080x1080, 33443280_384158918744067_1886812139956469760_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10116615

>>10115009
Thanks for the share, anon, I'm *loving* the structure on these sleeves

>> No.10116629

>>10116615
That's amazing!

>> No.10116702 [DELETED] 

>>10116193
Uh people look down on bought cosplays all the time, even if they look good? Why do you think this entire thread is here?

Years ago I don't think this was the case if the cosplay looked good because the hobby was just about having fun. But now you get people touting themselves as "professional cosplayers" who don't make anything and just buy mass quantities of commissioned or premade cosplays in order to keep up with the flavor of the week. Intention and the monetization of cosplay was more responsible for this switch in the community than anything, I think.

>> No.10116703

>>10116193
>>10116510
Uh people look down on bought cosplays all the time, even if they look good? Why do you think this entire thread is here?

Years ago I don't think this was the case if the cosplay looked good because the hobby was just about having fun. But now you get people touting themselves as "professional cosplayers" who don't make anything and just buy mass quantities of commissioned or premade cosplays in order to keep up with the flavor of the week. Intention and the monetization of cosplay was more responsible for this switch in the community than anything, I think.

>> No.10116747

>>10116703
>people look down on bought cosplays all the time, even if they look good? Why do you think this entire thread is here?
>cgl, the embodiment of toxic
you're just proving the point

>> No.10116792

>>10116615
Yeah... you can definitely tell who carried whom through the competition just by looking at the tidy structure of this silhouette, as well as the fact that it’s pretty well tailored especially for someone plus sized. Comparing this to the Ariel after they stopped working together is like comparing chalk and cheese.

>> No.10116837

>>10116792
No amount of polish can hide the fact that a garment is poorly structured.

>> No.10116903
File: 53 KB, 603x580, Untitled-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10116903

>>10114499
>common knowledge that he's dick to staffers and women in general. But people turn a blind eye because he's a "hot guy" with a big following.

Sounds like a Vic Mig part 2 story about to happen.

Being a dick only gets you so far before someone turns on you and all the skeletons come out of the closet.
All the people who flock to him should distance themselves, cause you know how people get when they think you condoned his behavior.

>> No.10117029

>>10116903
Sad part is there was a small movement of people posting about their uncomfortable or bad interactions with him a few months ago, and it went nowhere. Being hot and popular will get you far in life.

>> No.10117054

>>10117029
Thing is he's not famous enough for word about his shitty behavior to really spread to international communities, because a lot of people who hear about it just won't know who the fuck he is so they won't relay the information to other people. He's kind of in the sweet spot of not facing any consequences because he's famous enough to get flown to cons around the world but not famous enough for a bad reputation to precede him in said cons.

>> No.10117071

What do you guys think about gatekeeping among cosmakers? There have been a handful of cosmakers that I used to admire that I ended up unfollowing because of how much they gatekept cosmaking.
I’m not taking about gatekeeping like “glueing trim on a bra doesn’t make you a cosmaker” (I personally think that you should make the entire costume to be considered a cosmaker), I mean gatekeeping like “You can’t consider yourself a cosmaker unless you make multiple complicated costumes a year and win masquerades at journeymen or higher level”

>> No.10117075

>>10117071
They're high on something and I'd stop being fans of them if they are trying to spread such messages. If you hold yourself to your own high standards and subjective perfectionism, fine, but pressing such views on others is a no-no for me.

>> No.10117113

>>10117071
That's pretty shitty but I follow a lot of cosmakers and I've never seen anyone express this opinion

>> No.10117131

>>10101208
>Cosmaker
How retarded do you have to be to use this word?
Cosplay = Costume + Player
Cosmaker = Costume + Maker??? There's a word for that: costumer. Stop being autistic speshul snowflakes.

>> No.10117135

>>10117131
>>10117131
By that logic cosplay should be called costuming, which it was but times have changed and Moved on.

>> No.10117148
File: 14 KB, 887x229, costuming.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10117148

>>10117135
No, cosplay means costume + play. Aka wearing costumes for fun. Do you not know what costuming means or are you that far up your own ass?

>> No.10117176

>>10117071

who the fuck is saying that? JHart makes, maybe, one costume a year, and hasn't done anything at all for the past con season. all the cosmakers I follow just want to see each others progress and nerd about technique, but there's always some mid-level dipshit who wants to gatekeep for clout

>> No.10117178

>>10117131
A costumer is a person who constructs outfits but does not necessarily care about wearing them themselves or portraying a character which means they're not a cosplayer.
IE professionals making costumes for film are costumers.

A cosplay maker is a cosplayer who also enjoys constructing their own costumes or likes craftsmanship

A cosplay model is a cosplayer who is primarily concerned with the modeling aspect of cosplay and not necessarily the construction portion

The cosplay community is large enough now that people cosplay for a lot of different reasons and it makes sense to differentiate between them. Unwad your panties and get over it.

>> No.10117181

>>10117071
I've also never seen this said amongst cosmakers. Name and shame, anon.

>> No.10117194

>>10117071
I've met a few people like that but they're generally mediocre cosplayers with an inflated sense of ego because they made one poorly-constructed Sakizou. Don't worry about them.

>> No.10117277

>>10117178
Um, you can still be a costumer if you make the costume. It doesn't make you a "cosplay maker" because it's cosplay. You're still a costumer.
If you make the costume and wear it you're a costumer and a cosplayer.
If you buy the costume and wear it, you're a cosplayer.
I say this as someone who does make costumes for films as well as cosplay. We don't need new fancy words and no one will use them anyway.

>> No.10117297
File: 12 KB, 637x259, costumer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10117297

>>10117178
Wearing the costume you make does not make you not a costumer. Please refer to the definition of costumer; it only refers to someone who makes costumes.
A cosplay maker is still a costumer. You can make cosplay and not wear them, you tard.
A cosplayer is someone who wears costumes for fun.
You're a costumer and a cosplayer. Stop being retarded and making up new words to make yourself feel better.

>> No.10117298

>>10117148
No I'm just not white

>> No.10117300

>>10117298
Neither am I, but that's not an excuse for not understanding easily googled english words, anon.

>> No.10117342

>>10117277

As stated, the cosplay community is now so large and people do it for so many different reasons it makes sense that people diversify their language in order to be found by audience seeking them. I'm not interested in following sex workers wearing wigs, but they call themselves cosplayers, muddying the waters and making it hard to find craftspeople. The terms costumer and crafter apply to a lot of noncosplay artists, like historical reenactors and every dipshit with some ductape and a great idea come October, making those terms just as muddy and useless. Cosmakers lets people find each other. You're just being pedantic, or you're a salty cosplay model mad there's a label you finally can't coopt to sell lewds

>> No.10117356

>>10117277
>>10117297
Calm down. Cosplayers still like to call themselves "cosplayers" because they're a part of the cosplay community and frankly we were here first. I mostly hear the word costumer bounced around by people who are in costuming guilds or don't participate in the cosplay community. Why should cosplayers have to give up their hobby name just to separate themselves from the new rise of thots and models? If we want to call ourselves cosmaker why are your precious fee fees so offended by it?

>> No.10117367

Would anyone be interested in a cosmaker spreadsheet of sorts? The idol and artist alley threads both have one.

>> No.10117383

>>10101892
no u

>> No.10117430

>>10117367
I mean, sure but what for?

>> No.10117444

>>10101209
use #foamsmith on instagram, helps me filter the thots.

>> No.10117446

>>10117444
Yeah but that only covers people who work with foam, if you want to see all kinds of different techniques #cosmaker would be a catch-all for craftsmanship

>> No.10117589

>>10117430
The same reason as why those threads have spreadsheets: to keep track of relevant people and their social media.

>> No.10117592

>>10117342
ntayrt but a lot of ethots make the little accessories and stuff they wear with lingerie so they’ll still use your made up words as tags. you’re being salty because people don’t think your reinvention of the wheel is the next big hit

>> No.10117734

>>10117592
Dude if you don't like a new word, get over it and move on or don't jump into a thread dedicated to cosplay makers. Plenty of people seem to like it nobody is going to stop because you're showing your ass in an anon thread. I have to agree with >>10117342 - you sound mad because you don't fit into this category.

>> No.10117775

>>10101398
This this

>> No.10117780

>>10117734
>y-you’re mad!! you just angry cause ur not in our club xDDD
Or maybe it sounds dumb and isn’t needed.
A quick instagram search will let you know that this tag a) people steady use this tag so it’s not a new thing that you’re inventing and b) costhots already use it from the looks of the top posts
Plenty of people seem to think this word is dumb too so... it’s not going to sound less retarded because you’re showing your ass in an anon thread. You sound mad because people don’t like your word that you thought you invented.

>> No.10117824

>>10101651
I've followed them since their earliest cosplay days. They've improved SO, so so much. It's really nice to see and I kind of feel proud.

>> No.10117908

>>10117780
>Plenty of people seem to think this word is dumb too
I'll sit tight and wait for this army of totally-not-anonymous people.


Pedantic-chan inadvertantly raises a good point though. Cosmaker is just the word for cosplay in some countries which is why the tag is full of thots. Cosplay maker or cosplaymaker would make more sense to use.

>> No.10117910

>>10117908
>everyone disagreeing with me in this thread is the same person!
yikes

>> No.10117917

>>10117908
"Cosmakers" is what English speaking Asian countries call cosplayers who make their own shit, but their bar for making something is super low, so you might have a cosplay model who normally just does lingerie/swimsuit shoots make one accessory and they can brand themselves a "cosmaker". It's just a linguistics difference like how the same countries refer to cosplayers as "cosers".

>> No.10118009

>>10117910
There is only one person mad enough to go into a thread full of the thing they hate just to yell at everyone in the thread. Funny how all of those crybaby posts appeared at the same time too.

Pedantic-chan, please go. Nobody cares about your anal word obsession.

>> No.10118065

>>10118009
>t-there’s definitely only one person who disagrees with me!!!1!1
Nope, I’m just one of the anons calling you me retardation out. Nice try though.

>> No.10118069

>>10118009
>>10118065
Both of you are fucking annoying and shitting up the thread with your pointless arguing. Contribute relevant posts or gtfo.

>> No.10118075

>>10118069
Where’s your relevant content?

>> No.10118103

>>10117367
>>10117589
I don't think it'd be a bad idea to keep as a list for people who want to follow more skilled makers. Maybe also add a note about what kind of cosplays they make (sewing, armor, wigs, etc)

>> No.10118135

I personally love the term cosmaker. I make all of my costumes and always make it a goal to learn something new with each one. I’m no where near the level of the great people in this thread, but I at least have better skills then that “historical” Disney princess self post.

Now with that. I do not thing we should just call ourselves costumers. I am in school for costume design. I frequently am a costume designer and am starting to learn other things like hair and makeup design. This is where I consider myself a costumer. And a big part in costume design is not making costumes. A costumer searches through stock and often pulls together a costume from prexisting pieces. I designed a show with a partner in school and we had to make 5 out of the 20 1950s dresses. We bought everything else. To me costumer applies to a cosplayer or a cosmaker because I’m the real world of costume design you are not making everything. In fact sometimes you might make absolutely nothing. You might even have a crew that makes it all for you. So no costumer is not a word that fits cosmaker only and should be used instead.

>> No.10118137

>>10118103
Here's the link to the spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lf3Jzfj45Amz9aDuRP9-wipN3EhHHo37uKuJVqi2jiI/edit?usp=sharing

No info is on it yet, but I'll begin adding to it when I have time. I'm thinking of pulling names both from this thread and the talented cosplayers threads as well. I'm open to any suggestions in regards to organizing it.

>>10118135
I agree. I think the term costumer is simply too broad for cosplay. However, as other anons mentioned, the word "cosmakers" has already been taken over by costhots. We'd have to come up with yet another term of our own if we want to use it.

>> No.10118198

>>10118137
>spreadsheet
kek get ready for the smell selfpost

>> No.10118230
File: 814 KB, 436x326, tenor.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118230

>>10118198
This will be fun to watch

>> No.10118243

>>10118198
>>10118230
Tbh I don't think self-posting is bad or a big deal unless it's clear that the person isn't as skilled as they claim. I've followed a lot of good cosplayers who self-posted on this board and quite a few of their handles are posted in this thread.

>> No.10118642
File: 115 KB, 1080x1346, a_smile_and_a_song.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118642

I've been really into @a_smile_and_a_song's work lately, both their craftsmanship and their makeup

>> No.10118643
File: 126 KB, 1080x1350, hannaheva.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118643

>>10118642
@hannaheva adds a ton of detail to her costumes, I love all the ornaments

>> No.10118645
File: 68 KB, 1080x770, atelierlicorice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118645

>>10118643
@atelierlicorice

>> No.10118646
File: 80 KB, 900x900, vintera_cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118646

>>10118645
@vintera_cosplay

>> No.10118648
File: 72 KB, 1080x1080, mhysarose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118648

>>10118646
@mhysarose

>> No.10118649
File: 201 KB, 1080x1078, skycosplays.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10118649

>>10118648
@skycosplays

>> No.10118666

>>10118135
there’s a difference between a costume designer and a costumer - a costumer more often refers to a costume technician, someone who actually makes the costumes from designs

>> No.10118852

>>10118666
Even if you don’t consider a costumer designer a costumer, the wardrobe crew whose job is to make sure everyone is wearing the right costumes and makes sure the costumes are stored and cared for properly. These people do not make the costumes and they are called costumers. In the world of costuming, people who make the costumes are called stitchers or drapers or whatever their job is. The only jobs that are called costumer are usually not making the costumes. So once again costumer is not a term that just applies to people who make things. It applies to a variety of roles and many of them have absolutely nothing to do with making things. Sorry but craftsmanship cosplayers do need a term to get themselves out there that is not used by cosplay models.

>> No.10118896

>>10118645
Weird nitpick- I hate the way she writes. Her account is so well curated and her work is gorgeous but her captions come off as so pretentious and long-winded.

>> No.10119455
File: 447 KB, 2048x1418, alchemicalcosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10119455

Surprised no one has posted @alchemicalcosplay
/ @jacquistuffnthings

>> No.10119460
File: 2.05 MB, 1481x1218, wayracosplay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10119460

>>10119455
@wayracosplay is a cosplayer she just mentioned. Promising content/detail shots but she barley posts.

>> No.10119469

>>10119460
She's a gull too!

>> No.10119518

>>10119455
I was about to come post her!

>> No.10119554

>>10119460
Ironically i just posted a new pic haha.Thanks for the plug tho!!!

>> No.10119562

>>10101244
Shame she's a cunt

>> No.10119564

>>10119562
what is it this time

>> No.10119570

>>10101848
Lightning Cosplay is forever my favourite. Everything she makes is stunning

>> No.10119573

Anyone know of any cosplayers besides the ones mentioned here that do good embroidery work? I'm trying to learn it as a new skill and would love to see some inspiration

>> No.10119574

>>10119564
Oh just ask anyone in her country's community. Years and years of her shitting on people for no reason, backstabbing friends, and just being a mean bitch to people she seems below her

>> No.10119575

>>10119574
Yikes, got any proof besides hearsay?

>> No.10119578

>>10119574
I think the britain thread is saging though, you got any more details?

>> No.10119592

>>10119573
There's @gillianconahan, @silhouettecosplay, @grimildemalatesta, @alpacaash and @symphoniacosplay that I can think of right now

>> No.10119626

>>10119575
Not any physical proof unfortunately, if you look through the super old brit thread archives there's a lot of shit, or ask people she used to be friend with before she pissed them off

>> No.10119641

>>10119592
A few more: @stephwallsz, @armariacosplay, @eveillecosplay, @lovely_sary, @xaiguemarinex

>> No.10119677

>>10119626
I'm only finding stuff about her much more drama-inducing competition partners, and I'm not about to go ask strangers to expose their ex friends

>> No.10120111

>>10119574
Kek makes sense. A girl I know is online friends with her and is also a two-faced bitch who shits on her "friends" behind closed doors.

>> No.10120475

New thread: >>10120326

>> No.10120503

>>10101892
hi vendetta-chan

>> No.10122303
File: 843 KB, 750x1044, F6892678-8FB2-4E69-83E8-09C07C24E5BD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10122303

Does anyone have recs for cosplayers that take a lot of detail shots of their costumes like how J. Hart does?

>> No.10122548

>>10122303
@layze_michelle has a fair few, @spaceinvaderk, @atelierlicorice, @cowbuttcrunchies, @dasgeminii, @ptytb.art.atelier, @december_wynn, @winged_light

>> No.10122582

>>10122303

I'm so mad this pattern isn't going into production. Goes to show McCalls doesn't actually understand cosplay demographics

>> No.10122621
File: 155 KB, 960x960, myv.yucca.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10122621

>>10122303
@myv.yucca posts lots of detail shots of her embroidery

>> No.10122761
File: 107 KB, 1080x1350, rarami_cosplay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10122761

@rarami_cosplay

>> No.10122765
File: 74 KB, 1080x1080, chali_arden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10122765

>>10122761
@chali_arden

>> No.10122766
File: 1.68 MB, 1080x1080, aristargirl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10122766

>>10122765
@aristargirl

>> No.10122871
File: 125 KB, 1080x864, 34816415_231355981009914_851097531193491456_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10122871

>>10122766
Seconding her! Her Swellow gijinka first caught my eye - it means a lot that a crafter would put so much effort into making something that wouldn't be immediately recognizable, just for the sake of doing it well.

>> No.10122938

>>10122582
Tbh I don't think any pattern company truly understands the cosplay/lolita demographics. These companies are still primarily normie focused and really only know how to market either to normies or people who genuinely have no clue as to how to go about making babby's first cosplay.

>>10122871
Holy fuck that's gorgeous, especially the wings!

>> No.10123116
File: 160 KB, 1080x1080, 47691903_361137708009959_8482947679166763624_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10123116

@purple.schala posts a lot of WIP (and piano videos) and is meticulous about recreating tiny details
>all that silver trim is craft foam cut out by hand, wrapped with silver vinyl, and then glued to the skirt

>> No.10123127

>>10122582
Speaking of, what's been happening with Cosplay by McCall's? They havent released a pattern in ages

>> No.10123153

>>10123127
you're right, I thought it was more recent but their last release was in june

>> No.10123168
File: 99 KB, 1080x1080, ginozacostuming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10123168

>>10122766
@ginozacostuming
her paint jobs are absolutely insane, everything looks like it was ripped straight out of the concept art!

>> No.10123735

It seems the European cosplay scene is a bit different than in the US. All the well known cosplayers I know of make their cosplays. So I would recommend checking out some European cosplayers and competitions like European Cosplay Gathering, EuroCosplay and Nordic Cosplay Championships.

Also here are some cosplayers to follow on IG:
@tenkoucosplay
@archangel_michail
@teamparaluna
@maijamjam_
@shappiworkshop
@erzacosplay
@tokahcosplay
@merryallnighter
@hersetai

>> No.10123744

>>10123735
*@heresetai

>> No.10124753

I figured this thread is the best thread to ask this question in since the help thread seems to be more for specific questions: does anyone have recommendations for tutorials or resources for someone who wants to be more serious about making their own cosplays? I've made several costumes in the past and understand pattern manipulation and the basics of sewing, but the costumes were really simple and basic and I want to move past that and onto more complicated projects.

>> No.10124797

>>10124753
Not a tutorial but advice. Choose one new skill to learn with each new costume.

Beadwork, embroidery, lace work, goldworking, jewelry making... the list can go on and on. Every time you make something find a new skill to add. One time I literally made a leather corset because I knew my machine did leather. Leather working was one of the new skills for that costume.

Then for the next costume you try to use the previous skills learned and once again add another new one.

>> No.10124799

>>10124797
Also going to add a new skill can be something as small as making your first circle skirt or learning pintucks. It doesn’t have to be something huge like learning armor though that never hurts.

>> No.10124950

>>10124797
I guess you’re right. There’s just so many things that I want to learn, so I’ll have to pick a few skills first and find a costume from my list that I could apply those skills to. Thanks anon!

>> No.10127935
File: 48 KB, 514x707, 2232086A-787D-4285-887A-60456FEBBD58.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10127935

Can someone tell me why McCall’s isn’t making jhart designs patterns but they are producing this pattern by Angela Clayton? And why couldn’t they you know actually make this corset fit the model right?

>> No.10127952

>>10127935
Angela's previous patterns all sold extremely well since they're historical vs. cosplay oriented. Imo her patterns suck and some of the garments she makes for herself don't even fit but she keeps getting pattern deals because they sell.

>> No.10127960

>>10127952
This. Has his patterned been marketed to the general pattern line, they would have sold well. They are miles better than what Angela has put out. I am salty that his two latest won't be released though.

>> No.10127976

>>10127960
I'm pissed that McCall's decided against making his hoopskirt and petticoat pattern even though they promoted it on their Instagram. It's historically accurate so they could've just as easily marketed it to the same people who buy Angela's patterns. His creations are miles better than Angela could ever hope to produce.

But desu I wonder if he also chose to stop producing patterns with McCall's due to how much they dragged their feet with his first pattern. Iirc it only took 1 year (including time for negotiations) for Angela's pattern to launch whereas J. Hart's first post about creating the sample for his pattern was a year before the pattern's release, meaning that negotiations were done before then.

>> No.10128150

>>10127935
>When the model pattern doesn't even close evenly

Just more evidence that Angela is overhyped and her main claim to fame was that she was producing so much at 17 (due to having no job, no school, and hobby funds from her parents).

>> No.10128207
File: 317 KB, 620x929, C45A9E57-703D-4010-9E46-BAAAC9693FBA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10128207

>>10128150
Her own self-drafted, self-fitted pieces don't fit her so I'm not surprised that her commercial patterns don't fit.

>> No.10128372

>>10128207
I went to her website to see if she had improved. Nope not one bit. Still the same poorly sewn dresses

>> No.10128601

>>10127952
>>10127935
>>10128207
Wait, does McCalls just... take the pattern and print it? I would have assumed that they would clean things up and grade it for the designer. I doubt Angela has the knowledge to make a pattern to industry standards considering she's had no schooling. J. Hart I could see being able to, but Angela no.

>> No.10128669

>>10128601
Afaik McCall’s does the pattern grading but it’s all based off of the original pattern that they’re given by whoever designed the pattern.

>>10128372
She’s well known enough at this point that she doesn’t need to improve. She can just make anything and people will hurl compliments at her.
Her professionalism hasn’t improved either. She got sent a pocket hoop(I think?) pattern by simplicity, cut gigantic notches into her fashion fabric, and then blamed simplicity for her fuck up by saying that they shouldn’t have made the notches so big kek.

>> No.10128678

>>10128669

>She can just make anything and people will hurl money at her.

FTFY.

>> No.10128685

>>10128678
Yeah you’re right anon. I really never understood why people love AC so much. Her work isn’t impressive despite that she has unlimited time and money. There are cosplayers who work full time and only cosplay as a hobby that make better garments and costumes than she does.

>> No.10128705

>>10128601
They do. That's why all of the Yaya patterns have such bizarre proportions

>> No.10128758

>>10128150
>overhyped and her main claim to fame was that she was producing so much at 17 (due to having no job, no school, and hobby funds from her parents).


Cosplay (and life really...) is littered with people who don't belong where they are. Mommy's money, daddy's phone calls, sleeping with a boss...

I've kinda become numb to the point that Angela isn't all that bad. She makes some pretty stuff and the poor fit is only noticed by people who know what to look for.
I'll take that over purely tits out cosplayers who put on a matching bra and panty set with a wig and call themselves creative.

>> No.10128961

>>10128758
Accept she’s not really much of a cosplayer and is more in the historical costuming range. Which for historical costuming everyone looks at how well made your shot is. Either way though she shouldn’t be making patterns.

>> No.10129011
File: 89 KB, 661x253, 9411F0C7-E6A0-4083-9AAE-2CFF6A66C60B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10129011

>>10128961
She used to be a cosplayer and thought she was hot shit for making really basic things like a fluffy skirt with horsehair braid and a cape with stripes that were made of different colored strips of fabric. She stopped cosplaying because her 100% original and totally not ripped off of Chotronette dresses got her more attention than cosplay did.

Tbt when she used to self-post here and fish for compliments on her legs.

>> No.10129515
File: 218 KB, 960x958, AAD71283-9504-4557-BB6D-6EF6677A31E2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
10129515

>what we could've had instead of Angela's uneven corset
McCall's why

>> No.10129544

New thread since this one is autosaging: >>10129535

>> No.10129671

>>10127976
>>10129515

I wonder if it's possible to start some email petition and request McCall release that pattern since they promoted it. Some of the lolitas are doing a petition for some Japanese brand, which I doubt will succeed because it's a Japanese brand (and the request is stupid entitled, apparently), but McCall's being a western brand, having teased that hoopskirt, petticoat on their insta, and they're not even doing most of the work, might actually have a decent chance of poking them into action to release the pattern.

>> No.10130621

>>10114844
Call me sexist but for all those AMAZING costumes she does, she could really use a reeeeeeally small boobjob. On her Helga it was like uhhh... The chest department just looked off. Although i must state again that i adore her costumes.

>> No.10130707

>>10130621
>Call me sexist

You are.

At the very least, realize you've been brainwashed into thinking you know how female bodies are supposed to look.

We don't have time to unpack the rest of that.

>> No.10130713

>>10130707
I probably know more about aesthetics and composition than most of this thread, and i still think that the boobage ruins the upper torso parts' cohesion.

>> No.10130967

>>10130621
You know that Ivorivet (the sewing gijinka you replied to) and CBC (the Helga you're citing) are two different sets of people, right

>> No.10131649

>>10130713 I probably know more about aesthetics and composition than most of this thread
That are both influenced by the brainwashing you got on how bodies must look to be aesthetically pleasing.

I'm a photographer and artist. I know how this works.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action