[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1 KB, 236x213, brainlet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9988712 No.9988712 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone please explain to me what shorting is? I still don't get it.

>> No.9988729

the opposite of growing.

examples:
i'm shorting a beard now.
your son seems shorter than before. has he been shorting lately?

>> No.9988747

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+shorting+a+stock

>> No.9988754

>>9988712
When you short you are borrowing stock which you will have to return at a later time. You want the price to go down so you can rebuy the stock to return at a lower price than you borrowed it so you can keep the difference.

E.X: you short 10 shares of apple at 100$. This cost 1,000$. The price of apple shares drop to 90$ and you want to close your short so you buy 10 shares for 900$. You keep the 100$ difference as profit.

>> No.9988755

You borrow someone else's shit, sell it, and you pay them a constant fee fro the right and cover any losses with the balance of your account.

>> No.9988764

>>9988712
shorting is when you earn money when bitcoin goes down

>> No.9988818

Stop fucking spoonfeeding this guy, you can literally Google this answer. if you don't understand jargon, google it or lurk more. if everyone made a "duuuhhhh wat is a margin long evveeennnn????" thread, this would be a much shittier board.

>> No.9988819

First, let’s take an asset, could be a coin, could be a stock. Call it A. Today the price is $1.

What if you think that, in one month, A is going to be worth $2? You buy it. So you spend $1 today, and then in one month you have an asset worth twice what you paid for. This is called going “long” A.

Now, let’s say you think A is going to be worth only 0.50 a month from now. How can you make money off that? What you do is you SELL 2 A’s today for $2, and plan to buy it back a month from now. So, you sold it for $2, and you then you by 2 A’s in a month for 1$ — since the price will then be only 0.50. Now, in order to sell them today, you need to BORROW them from someone. So you borrow two A’s today. Then sell them. Then in one month you buy 2 A’s to return to the person who loaned them to you. This is shorting.

>> No.9988868

>>9988754
Thanks I get it now.
But how common is this, it looks crazy to me that someone would do something like that.

>> No.9989004

>>9988868
extremely common, it's the backbone on which the modern american economy has blossomed. but even that can't hold a candle to shorting crypto, which is literally the new paradigm in wealth creation

>> No.9989070

>>9988868
Go on bitmex, it's as common as you want it to be.>>9989004
>but even that can't hold a candle to shorting crypto, which is literally the new paradigm in wealth creation
You're really making me want to long

>> No.9989157

Can anyone recommend resources on how to learn to successfully long/short markets with examples and such?