[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.62 MB, 1345x1450, 1442725331740.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
997015 No.997015 [Reply] [Original]

I want to get into the actuary industry but my school doesn't offer a strict Actuarial Science major. Would my best bet be Statistics/Finance or Finance/Statistics? I plan on going to grad school as well.

>> No.997024

bump, interested in this as well

>> No.997027

transfer to a school that does offer Actuarial Science, dumbass.

>> No.997034

>>997027
Why would I do that when I could do Stats and get into data science or do Finance and get into countless other fields if being an actuary doesn't go as planned?

>> No.997075

>>997015
Hey OP. My father started as an actuary, did underwriting for years, now is ceo of reinsurance business for a larger company. He did math under grad from a large state school, then went right into insurance while taking his actuarial exams. So to answer your question, math/stat/finance all work, one piece of advice he gave is don't take too many actuarial exams as a student, pay is apparently based on exam completion and having many passes + no work experience makes you an unattractive candidate

>> No.997096

>>997075
How old was he when he became an actuary? Also, how long was he in the business? Thanks for the quality info btw.

>> No.997500

>>997096
Started his exams right out of college, so maybe 22-23. Took him about 5 years to pass exams and get FSA and MAAA. I think he's got about 30 years of experience at this point, and is making a good amount now (>500k).

Ive always considering becoming an actuary, and I've kept the door open (biomed eng and applied math undergrad), but he has always steered me away from it. Says its pretty boring, and while you're generally paid well, you have to be lucky to make a lot of money.

>> No.997849

>>997075
Time have changed, now an entry level candidate is expected to have 4 exams, internship and a high GPA.

>> No.997861

>>997500
He's right about the job being boring. Its a limited industry(insurance). This anon is also right>>997849
They expect way too much from millennials. What's going to happen in the next years is companies will go back to boomer hiring style. Just take anyone with a degree.

>> No.997887

>>997861
>Most educated generation
>"They just don't have experience"
Yeah thanks to you, you fucks. Do they think we enjoy going to school forever and accumulating debt.
The hypocrisy is pissing me off.