[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.99 MB, 381x259, 1519021007752.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9902814 No.9902814 [Reply] [Original]

>Friend says we should start a business on the side
>Tell him okay
>Pitch the idea for a small thing that we already have the resources to execute in our free time that we can build up as it grows more successful
>He wants to jump right into something that we have neither the time, money, nor resources to be getting into

It really seems like most people just see business as a get rich quick scheme and have no practical blueprint for how to go about it. Has that been your experience? How do you get people to sit down and be realistic about what they can afford to jump into?

>> No.9903226

>>9902814
Same, anytime a particular family member comes up with an amazing business, I just say "sounds great, what are the first steps to get it started". Then they realize they don't actually want to do the work. Or don't even really believe in their idea themselves.

They want some magical angel investor to swoop in and dump money on them because muh idea.

Basically they want an ico

>> No.9903291

>>9903226

Even in an ICO someone still has to program the thing, conduct marketing to build hype, lobby to get listed on an exchange, and build some sort of physical infrastructure to conduct the premining.

>> No.9903399
File: 248 KB, 746x688, 1518470065725.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9903291
True. Even being a scammer takes work in this world.

I've had a few businesses involving marketing online. Made a little bit of money, but i hated it. Basically just spamming all over the internet for some product that sucks. Not good for your soul man. If you don't beleive in what you're doing the it's not sustainable in that you won't want to get out of bed to do it after grinding on it for so long.

t. I want to create a business that actually helps people and serves customers needs so I don't feel like a spammy parasite on society

>> No.9903854

>>9902814

>actual business discussion
>thread sinks like a rock

>> No.9904009

>>9902814
I like squirrels

>> No.9904017

>>9903399

>flow is between arousal and control

It's hard to find something that you're really interested in though. I've also heard horror stories of people monetizing their hobby only to discover that it robbed them of joy.

>>9903854

I mean it's /biz/.

>> No.9904093

I feel ya, except differently. I have an idea for two shirt designs that could make me a fair profit but I'm too unmotivated/scared to go through with it. I have the manufacturer, design but lack means of making the design on a computer because no computer. I'm my own worst enemy...

>> No.9904201

>>9904093
>because no computer

Are you 8 years old or just a pajeet? Why do I even go in this board

>> No.9904241

>>9903291
Doesnt matter if you have money.
There a guys that offer to do the wholo project: desingning a edgy website, desining a logo, writing a whitepaper, and medium articels, and even the whole smart contract. basically the whole package...

>> No.9904259

Business take a lot of time to be successful. Also, there's a lot of failures along the way. It's definitely not a get quick rich scheme; but it is heavily rewarding once you've made it.

It took me about 2 years to build my side online business into something I could live off of.

>> No.9904300

>>9904241
kek, I mean that's not exactly the same as an angel investor coming to pay you for your idea. it sounds more like a way to become a patsy in someone else's serious crime

>> No.9904396

>>9904259
>Business take a lot of time to be successful
Yeah, what makes it worse is our ADD/instant gratification generation. My dad started rock bottom and worked for 25 years, then dumped his life savings into his own business (warehouse, tanks, pumps, machines etc). He's living a modest middle class life now in his 60s. If he sold everything today he could get 2 to 3 million, asked him about it and he said the satisfaction he gets of being 100% independent and successful is more than any expensive things could ever give him.

>> No.9904430

>>9904396
Your dad is spot on. There's nothing more rewarding than seeing something you've made be successful. I'm sure your dad is very fulfilled in life.

>> No.9904536

>>9904430
He also still works like a madman all day and weekends frequently, but to him it's not work most of the time as it's his passion. So I think if you start your own business you should do something you're passionate about or interested in as you'll have to put in most of your time (if you want to succeed).
>>9904017
Doesn't matter what you do, you'll have to work hard if you want to succeed. Also there will always be bad times. I think the fact that it's a person's hobby/passion just helps to get through that, but to avoid it is impossible.

>> No.9904972

>>9904396
This. Nobody is your boss but yourself. You cannot put a price on that.