[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 127 KB, 325x271, 1526461602737.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9473236 No.9473236 [Reply] [Original]

Hi. I'm about to wreck your entire faith in Holochain. No FUD, only facts. Prep your dumps before reading.

1. It takes 4 files to create a hello world program in the holochain environment. Absolutely ridiculous, but sadly true -> https://github.com/holochain/HoloWorld I don't consider myself to be a professional developer by any means but I'm certainly no novice either. Why do in 4 files what most programming languages do in 1-7 lines?

2. HOT is an ERC20. For a project that claims to fundamentally 'kill' blockchain, why does the current token rely on blockchain? The excuse that, 'oh well all muh ERC20's be converted to holofuel,' doesn't work because there's no current way to do that. It's impossible. The functionality just simply isn't there. The entire project at this current moment in time relies on its ERC20.

3. Their whitepaper (https://github.com/holochain/holochain-proto/blob/whitepaper/holochain.pdf)) is garbage. The paper itself is incomplete, tagged with numerous red-lined "TO-DO's" and the references are hilariously irrelevant. They actually have a reference to a reddit thread (r/Bitcoin) as an 'authentic source' from 2015.

4. Holochain claims to achieve economic consensus through 'agent-centric' models rather than 'data-centric' models. If you don't know what this means, most blockchains are 'data-centric.' Bitcoin, Bcash, Ether, etc. Transactions are emitted to many nodes and they do the whole mining bit. Data is distributed. 'Agent-centric' is obviously different. The closest and easiest analogy to an 'agent-centric' model you're probably familiar with is Git. Your transactions would be localized to your 'repository' and after some time you'd 'commit' them to a higher-up node. For version control software like Git this is great. For an economic system however, not so much assuming you want to achieve decentralization. Who decides what transactions are 'merged' to the master branch? How do you prevent Sybil attacks? etc.

That is all for now.

>> No.9473284

>>9473236
Niggers

>> No.9473322

>>9473284
Godspeed anon.

>> No.9473397

bump to trigger holofags

>> No.9473425

>>9473236
1. To make it dev friendly

2. Just like every other token that hasn't launched their mainnet, check github, yawn

3. Read greenpaper and currency paper, much better, white paper is dense and average but those are better reads

4. https://medium.com/holochain/scaling-cryptocurrencies-holo-chain-3c1745a59cc5

>> No.9473493

I'm not selling my holo until MrBearWolf starts fudding it every day. That guys a scam hunter

>> No.9473538

>>9473425
1. Explain how using 4 files for the simplest program in history is 'dev friendly.'

2. Vaporware.

3. Lol. Whitepaper is still garbage.

4. Sybil attacks for agent-centric models are an unproven problem in computer science. Holo claims to have solved it, but the proof is coincidentally left out in ALL of their papers. As of this moment, it would be considered possible to create fake transactions just because not every node knows about all transactions.

>> No.9473692

>>9473493
Fair enough. Try not to get burned.

>> No.9473780

>>9473538
>1. Explain how using 4 files for the simplest program in history is 'dev friendly.'
Your application has to be configured for the blockchain. It must have a schema. It must have a reader/writer. Writing an application that is executed locally and nowhere else would require 1 file, but you aren't executing locally, now are you?

>> No.9473847

>>9473780
I'll humor you. This is a fully functioning hello world program in Ethereum.

```
pragma solidity ^0.4.23;

contract HelloWorld {
event HW(bytes32 message);
constructor() public {
emit HW('Hello World');
}
}
```

This is broadcasted to the entire blockchain, embedded in its permanent and immutable history.

Actually look at Holochain's official hello world program and compare it to this. Which would you rather write?

>> No.9473970

1. It’s not local HTML
2. Wait for main net
3. Got nothing who cares?
4. All transactions are forcibly and redundantly verified by the network, if two agents or one agent with two accounts tried to conduct a fake transaction the nodes are forcibly forked from the network rendering any valid holofuel worthless

>> No.9473981

Wholeheartedly agree, anon. HOLO is garbage, but the shilling has to commence so those who accumulated initially dump their 10x bags.

Cheers for actually having a head on your fucking shoulders.

>> No.9474046

>>9473970
1. Check right above you
2. I get it's a speculation game but c'mon, holochain has been developed for years now with no working product.
3. I don't care if their paper is shit because they're shit lmfao
4. That still doesn't mitigate Sybil attacks for agent-centric models. Sure it disincentivizes it a little bit but it is not a proven solution right now. Again, holo has conveniently left out their proof for reliably preventing double spend attacks on their network.

>> No.9474084

>>9474046
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/lxwang/publications/security.pdf read this, dives into the sybil attack thing you bring up

>> No.9474119

>>9474084
Section 5, Titled "Possible Solutions". Direct quote -> "Douceur showed in [6] that the only practical way to guarantee
one-to-one mapping between virtual identities and physical
entities is letting a logically central, trusted authority to issue
all the identities. But this will also increase processing and
administrative overheads and put barriers on legitimate nodes
joining the network."

The only known solution so far is to adopt a centralized model for agent-centric networks. Holochain included.