[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 20 KB, 375x500, 1415422919011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
923774 No.923774 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /biz/,

Bored at home and gonna just dump some sales stuff as it comes to mind. Don't feel like digging for that link to all the older threads, but I'll find it if anybody is interested in reading through it all. I'll also help build pitches or go over specific questions if any sales fags need help.

On me: 24 year old college dropout. Make around $12k a month as a timeshare salesman.

>> No.923803

>>923774
Let's start with some old basics: affective/emotive words. Your vocabulary as a salesman should change significantly. Don't think fast-talking, slick shark from the used car lot of every movie you've ever seen. That shit died in the 50's. Just throwing facts at people doesn't do anything; we have the internet for that. What people need from a salesperson is advice on how a product is going to benefit them, because people don't buy products; they buy benefits. And that brings us to our first word:

>Benefit
This is probably the best word you can possibly learn as a salesperson. A product doesn't have a feature; it has a benefit. Benefit begs the question of, "Who is benefiting?" And it's always the customer.

>The benefit to you is...
>Where do you see the largest benefit, Mary?
>That's going to benefit your family because...

It's powerful because it generally answers the question of "what's in it for me."

>Share
You're never going to tell anyone anything. You won't show it either. Sharing invites conversation. It shows interest in what they say, their feedback. If someone shows me a benefit, I think it's because they want to sell me on that part of the product. If they share something, I can talk about it or vice an opinion.

>Can I share something with you?
>Let me share how X is going to work for you
>I'd like to share something with you; mind if I do that?

>Deserve
People think they deserve a lot of shit. If someone tells me I deserve something that they think is good, they're implying two things: I'm great and I'm missing out. People love to feel good about themselves, and they want what they can't have. It combines both perfectly.

>Doesn't your family deserve to have (benefit)?
>Honestly, Mary. You deserve this, don't you?
>If you work hard, you deserve to X

>> No.923828

>>923803
>Entitled/entitlement
These work great to establish urgency or make someone feel like they missed something. They work well to pique curiosity as well, though. People are entitled fucks. If I think I missed out on an entitlement, I'm going to be pissed. If you're just now telling me about something I'm entitled to, a promotion, discount, benefit, etc.; I'm going to listen.

>You were entitled to get a 25% discount on X, why didn't you take advantage of that?
>Well, John, as an existing client, you're entitled to receive blank.
>You didn't know about your first time entitlements? How?

>Opportunity
Your whole life you've been told to seize opportunities. Nobody has a negative correlation in their mind with opportunity. It immediately brings up feelings of hope to gain. It also makes people feel like there's a window of time just by the nature of the word. You never give a pitch or let someone buy, you present them with an opportunity.

>I'd like to share an opportunity with you, John
>If you'd had an opportunity like this in the past, you'd have been interested, right?
>You're in a unique position where you have an opportunity to...

>Feel
You always feel a way about something. You always ask how someone feels. If you think something, or ask what they think, or other people think... Guess what you'll hear at the end of your pitch? "I need to think about it." Buying is emotional, and feelings are pure emotion. I also can't feel wrong. If you tell me you think 2+2 is 5, I'm going to tell you you're wrong. If someone tells you they feel like 2+2 is 5, you'll ask why.

>Why do you feel that way?
>I feel like...
>How do you feel about...

>> No.923840

>>923828
Let's go back to the blurb on opportunity for a second. I mentioned hope to gain. There are two reasons anybody does anything: a hope to gain and a fear of loss. Hope to gain is great, because nobody is going to do anything that doesn't benefit them. But fear of loss is even better.

Fear works well because we're wired for it. Think about any time you've been scared. You take action to stop whatever it is that's scaring you. People close their eyes during scary movies, they jump away from something unexpected, you generally look for ways out. You're trying to make decisions rapidly with the information you have on hand. Nobody Googles what to do when they're confronted with fear. They work with whatever facts they remember/can ascertain. If you're in a position (As a salesperson you are) to provide those facts and then provide the source of that fear, you're in control.

I sell timeshare.

You know what every parent loves? Their children. They want to be close to them. They want to make sure their kids know that they're loved. But you just told me that both parents work, the kids do extra curriculars and sports, and they constantly have their phones in their hands. It's hard to connect. And with all those irons in the fire, we get distracted, right? If we're distracted, it's easy to not notice certain things; a missed practice, a question you never answered, a bad day you couldn't help with. We can't make more time; we can only use what we have more efficiently. The question becomes, "Is your time as a family better spent drifting apart through hectic schedules, or taking a week to just be together; to really talk, connect, share, and experience things together?"

There's a fear there, that the kids are going to drift away. And they are. They're never going to be young again. Nobody has pictures of their 26 year olds with Mickey and mom. But there's a solution; that they'll get at least one time a year where nothing matters but then being together.

>> No.923926

>>923840
Pretty sure I mentioned urgency a couple times as well. Urgency is what makes people buy that day. Urgency can come from a promotion being offered for a limited time, you not being around to offer a deal again, inventory shortages, or any number of things. Urgency that comes from the client themself is the best kind, though. If they feel pressured to buy because they know they need to do it that day, you're in a good position. The best way to gain urgency and prevent people from "thinking about it" at the end of your presentation is to make it abundantly clear at the outset that if they want what you're offering, they'll be buying it today because the promotional rate won't be there again.

Inform them during your intent statement that you're going to give them all the facts they need, and if it benefits them and is affordable, they'll be asked to buy. Make them aware that they can say yes or no, but not that they want to think about it. Not because you don't want them to think, but because it's unconscionable of you to allow them to do it at a higher cost later.

>> No.923950

>>923774
With your permission I will copy pasta this in bizninja forums to get it archived. There is gold here folks

>> No.923954
File: 52 KB, 467x700, 1443244625185.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>923950
Here's my thanks

>> No.923955

>>923950
>With your permission I will copy pasta this in bizninja forums to get it archived
I don't care, anon. I also don't know what bizninja is. Go wild.

>> No.923971

So, I work in an alumni call center and sometimes have trouble just talking to people. I try to build rapport talking about jobs, their major, time at school, area they live in, etc. Some people just don't care though?

Other times, I have trouble rebutting.
"I can't do that at this time, maybe in the future" or some shit like that, I normally say "I totally understand that, but the University would benefit from even a smaller amount it would help out towards things like blah blah keeping teachers on staff and helping student shit"

Is there any advice you could give?

>> No.923981

>>923971
You have a call list, right? They literally did a study on this. Call all your prospects one day and just say you're doing a psych survey. Ask if they care about their alma mater. Ask them to rate that care from one to ten. Ask if they feel helping other students benefit from the school would be something they'd help with.

They'll all answer yes. Call back in two or three days. They'll be more receptive to it.

If you just want to get the sale that day, I'll help build a pitch tomorrow morning. I'll be passing out any minute here.

>> No.923984

>>923981
Okay, the system we use isn't like a list, we get put into pools. So I'll call Management graduates from 80-03 or something that haven't donated before. If they don't answer or say 'Don't have time call back later" someone else most likely calls them. I would love to hear your pitch tomorrow morning though.

I haven't ever tried really asking how they cared about alma mater but I may add that in some. Thanks man!

>> No.923993

>>923984
>I haven't ever tried really asking how they cared about alma mater but I may add that in some. Thanks man!
It's important because people are more likely to act in accordance with ideals that they've agreed to. If they agree to an innocuous statement like, "You feel like your time at 4chan University was beneficial, right?" or, "You would like to see University grow and continue to be a driving force in (Degree field), right?" They'll be more likely to donate, because someone with those beliefs would.

I'll polish it up a bit with you tomorrow.

>> No.923994

>>923993
Thanks again bro, I work tomorrow so I'll be able to get back at you later about results.

>> No.924036

Good bread

>> No.924045

As a 4th year marketing student, I can say with my inexperienced opinion that you've mastered your craft. While I feel like this skill you have may be forced upon me to use to break bread, I hope I can better the world; not corrupt it the way I know I could.

Their money is most likely better in your pocket though.

>> No.924109

We really need a sticky/pastebin of all your stuff, it's so good, been following these threads since the second or third one, thanks

>> No.924312

Just woke up. Bumping this so it won't die. I'll post from work once I'm done with my first deal.

>> No.924322

Once you recognise that people are inherently selfish and lazy (and we are, evolutionarily) everything gets easier.
We're not rational; we're emotional.

>> No.924376

>>923994
Whenever you get back in the thread, let me know exactly how much time you feel you have with them. I can give you a two minute pitch that should close somewhere around 1/3 depending on your delivery.

>> No.924379

>>923774

I missed you.

Tell me about work. Any stories?

>> No.924423

>>924376
Okay, no tours today so I have some time.

>Hey, Jim Stevens? This is anon from FU. We're doing a quick survey of our existing blank grads. I just need you to answer three quick questions.

>I'm not sure if I really have the time-

>That's fine; I only have about two minutes anyway. First one, what is your favorite memory from your time at FU?

(This is going to do two things. It's going to put them in a good mood, and it's going to make them think about the college. They're now more likely to relate to the existing students. This will come up in about 45 seconds.)

Whatever they say...

>That's awesome!

Ask a question about the story if it was a story. If it was a feature, ask why they liked it. Whatever it is, you've seen/done it and it's still there.

>Do you feel that your time at FU was beneficial? On a scale of 1-10, where would you put it?

If they say ten, ask why. If they answer 9 or below act a little surprised and say you expected it to be a bit lower. Ask why they're so high. It seems counterintuitive, but you'll literally hear them convince themselves that they went to the best school ever and have the most pride.

>Wow, that's great! I bet you still have your ID in your wallet, don't you?

>No/I don't think so

>You sure? C'mon, check that thing haha

You're checking if they have their wallet on them.

>And lastly, do you feel that the present students of FU should enjoy an experience as beneficial as yours?

>Yes

>Why?

>....

>Great. Well when we've reached out to accomplished graduates who have a great sense of pride in our school, we ask them to forgo three cups of coffee a month, and move that money to help ensure that future students can share the same experiences that they have. Knowing that FU is obviously more important to you than a cup of coffee, which card would you like to put your $10 endowment/grant/donation what the fuck ever on?

You never asked them to donate. You closed them.

>> No.924432

>>924423
They will literally have to tell you that they don't want to give up a cup of coffee to make sure that someone has the experience they did. You're asking them if their college experience was worth sharing (It was) and then asking them to ensure someone else has it for a cup of coffee. You're asking if the best time of their life is more valuable than $10.

Never ask a yes or no question to these people after money has come up. They'll say no. Just ask which card. If they say they can't?

>Oh, so you want to write a check. Okay. Do you need our address?

>No, I don't want to write a check.

>I kind of figured. Cards are a lot easier to use. Which would you put this on?

>No, I don't want to donate.

>Right. It's no more money than you're spending now. We're simply asking grads like yourself to give up coffee for a day or two or one fast food trip a month. Isn't making sure someone like yourself gets that same college experience worth it?

That last question is an absolute bitch to say no to.

>> No.924434

>>924423
>Well when we've reached out to accomplished graduates who have a great sense of pride in our school, we ask them to forgo three cups of coffee a month, and move that money to help ensure that future students can share the same experiences that they have.

Change this slightly to,

>Well when we've reached out to accomplished graduates like yourself who have a great sense of pride in our school, we've found that most are willing to forgo three cups...

It makes it seem like everybody does it.

>> No.924454

>>924434
>>924432
>>924423
Thank you so much dude. I'll be sure to try this out tonight and get back with results. I normally spend about 4-6 minutes with each call once we get talking. Sometimes it may be 15 minutes though if we're having a good conversation but that usually means they'll give haha.

>> No.924467

>>924454
Yeah, if you warm up with them a bit and can get into some conversation, you're in a good spot. People buy from people like them. Just be similar to your prospects.

>> No.924469

>>924467
I try to, I find most trouble trying to follow script and ask amounts with colleges I'm not comfortable talking about. Like college of design or textiles I have no idea what the fuck happens there so its hard to talk about it. When I call management or humanities I can easily say whats up

>> No.924620
File: 71 KB, 500x672, 1393651491620.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey fag, what's your take on looks in selling?

Are nice teeth important? Do you have any unattractive colleagues who are doing well?

>> No.924636

>>924469
>I have no idea what the fuck happens there so its hard to talk about it
So learn a bit about it and talk to them.

>>924620
>Hey fag, what's your take on looks in selling?
Being attractive helps. Dressing well is more important in my opinion, though.

>Are nice teeth important?
Yeah, it helps, but my teeth are jacked the fuck up. Look up dentinogenesis imperfecta. It doesn't really hold me back, but it made me self conscious at first.

>Do you have any unattractive colleagues who are doing well?
I'm about 40lbs overweight and have those teeth. I'm not a bad looking guy, but I'm not exactly attractive. Confidence is far more important. I dress well and carry myself like I'm the most important person in the room. That goes way farther. You won't sell just by looking good. It will help, but it won't make it a given.

>> No.924640

This is fucking hilarious!

>> No.924693

>>924379
>I missed you.
Gaaaaaay

>Tell me about work. Any stories?
A client tried to choke my manager and got arrested. That's the most memorable thing that happened recently.

>> No.924720

Solid information OP. I'm saving this.

>> No.924760

Hey op, this is a little left field but do you have any advice on cold calling/networking with writers and reporters?

I'm looking to get press for a product I'm working on but I don't have any media contacts.

>> No.924785

>>924760
>do you have any advice on cold calling/networking with writers and reporters?
Not really

>I'm looking to get press for a product I'm working on but I don't have any media contacts.
Sounds like you need a PR person

>> No.924787

>>924785
Aight, thanks anyway.

>> No.924970

>>923955
/Biz/'s unofficial retarded sister
http://bizninja.boards.net/board/6/degree-career

>> No.925017

>>924787
Sorry, pal.

>>924970
Got it

>> No.925048

Been asking alumni their favorite memory seems to work well enough man.
I can't use the coffee thing tonight though really calling $1000+ pledgers

>> No.925077

>>925048
>Been asking alumni their favorite memory seems to work well enough man.
Glad to hear it.

$1,000+ people are the kind who either don't really care about the money, or really love the school. Or they're just easily sold. Shouldn't be too hard anon. Just assume they'll give.

>> No.925084

>>923774
Hey fag, did you have mentors or books to help master your skills? I really appreciate you dropping some knowledge up in this place

>> No.925534

>>923774
Where can I find the previous threads like these?

>> No.925547

>>925084
>Hey fag, did you have mentors or books to help master your skills?
Yes to both. My company is good about giving training, but any sales floor should have a ringer or two. Generally, if you show drive and take the job seriously, they'll be more than happy to sit with you for a bit and go over some things. Training actually helps both people, as it keeps the good rep sharp.

You need to show drive, though. Go get sales books; read constantly. Listen to audio books in the car. Everything and anything. A lot of sales people just get to where they can make a couple sales and then never do anything to get better. If you went to aa surgeon that graduated in '85 and he told you he hasn't read a thing about his craft since then, you'd nope the fuck out. Keep learning. Cialdini's "Influence..." is a good start.

>> No.925551

>>925534
>Where can I find the previous threads like these?
They were on the moe archive, which I've just learned went down. So unless someone screencapped them, they're gone.

>> No.925602

>>923774
Hey Fag, love your threads.
I like the idea of script building, can you share more on that? What makes a script a food one? What are the basic parts a script should have to be effective?

>> No.925611

>>925602
>I like the idea of script building, can you share more on that? What makes a script a food one?
When you're building a pitch, you don't want to make a script. You want somewhat of a framework for a rep to fall back on. Any sale should start with an intent (What you're going to do/talk about), a discovery (Learn about the client/what's important to them), a value presentation (What the product does for them), and a close. A script will make it seem canned/lazy.

>What are the basic parts a script should have to be effective?
To be effective, it should have all of the above, but it should kill objections before they ever come up. Everything should be dovetailed towards a close. The one I just helped that anon with took care of what I'd imagine to be a few big ones. "I don't have time," "I don't have my wallet," and "I can't afford it."

Time is addressed by you saying you only have two minutes, the wallet by asking them if they still have their ID, and money by comparing it to a cup of coffee. Money is rarely the issue with anything; it's a lack of value. That's why he's making them think of their favorite times at the university. There's value behind that.

>> No.925745

I love this post >>923803>>923828
>>923840

How can you use this for real estate? I see the affective/emotive words being very useful during the house tour, and the urgency maybe by mentioning that other people are interested in the same house, but how to deal with objections and the famous "I want to think about this"?

>> No.925798

I'm about to start selling premium cigars in the fourth largest metropolitan area. I'll be mixing my time by hanging around at golf courses, and serious brick and mortar stores. The cigars are top quality but I need to sell a lot to cover the costs of shipping and restocking my supply.
Any suggestions on to how best convince clients that: my cigars will increase their sales volume, the quality will make customers happy, and that I have to sell them at upwards of $6.00 a cigar to make myself a profit.
The only problem I see is them not willing to pay min of $6.00 per cigar when I pitch them in bundles of 25.
I am convinced in the product but I would like to be guided in prepping "the script" for no-go situations such as these.
Thanks.

>> No.926000

>>925745
>urgency maybe by mentioning that other people are interested in the same house, but how to deal with objections and the famous "I want to think about this"?

What I do is very similar to real estate; I actually need a license in my state to sell timeshare. Saying other people are looking at the house is played out. I know they are. Everybody does. Real urgency is, "You need me to get this house, and this is your fucking dream home."

What you need to do is make them absolutely need that house. Real estate is relationship based. And as corny as it sounds, you're not selling a house; you're selling a dream. You also need to actually care about the clients. Ask them a ton of questions.

First time home buyer?

>I want you to hold your husband's hand and close your eyes. I know it feels dumb; just do it, I won't hit you too hard.
>Now I want you to imagine your house. The one you're going to live in
>What are you doing?

Whatever they say: a family dinner, entertaining friends, their child's first Christmas, a lazy Sunday together in bed, etc. is going to give you your hot buttons. They have a picture in their head; now make them take ownership of a house they don't have yet. You're going to ask second level questions.

>Why do you think that came to mind?
>Is that important to you?
>Tell me more about it. Is it a bright room? Spacious, cozy, hardwood floors, carpet? What time of year is it?

You're going to paint them a picture during the house tour of the exact thing that's important to them. Also, one tip I got from a great real estate agent (He taught the class, was a broker for years.) was pretty simple. If there's a feature they mention. Fireplace, jacuzzi, big tree in the yard; don't mention it when you show the house. When they tell you that feature, say there aren't all that many houses with that particular what have you on the market right now. When they tour the house, let them "find it." They'll feel more like it's theirs.

>> No.926032

>>926000
Who the fuck is actually baited by closing eyes and holding hands bullshit? Holy crap, if this really works - no wonder 1% owns 80% of the stuff, most people are retards.

>> No.926084

>>926000
Thanks Fag, trips of wisdom

I know that in sales you work for our own profit, but how do you (or your company) deal with people that just are "winging it"?
I have a friend that is like that, just wings it, she occasionally does some impressive sales, but it seems as if her spirit isn't there, it seems she has potential but she isn't really working towards it. She asks me for help sometimes, but I really am at a loss on if it even is possible to help her, motivate her or something like that, since I do believe that you have to "want it". Can you share some advice on it?

Also, more real estate tips and advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

>> No.926094

>>925798
>The only problem I see is them not willing to pay min of $6.00 per cigar when I pitch them in bundles of 25.
Then they never will. If you can't imagine them spending $150, then they won't. Treat every client like they're going to spend over $1,000. Honestly, if it was me, I'd double the price and only sell in lots of 50. It gives you a lot of room to play with. Here's why. Everyone wants three things: Someone to make them feel special, to deal with someone special, and a special deal.

You can then drop the price or the lots. It's called price anchoring. Does anybody pay sticker at the car lot? Fuck no. So is it a real price? Absolutely not. But where does everybody start negotiating? The sticker price.

You're dealing with cigar bars, smoke shops, and golf clubs in a major metro. $6 is not a lot of money to these people. I smoke cigars occasionally. I wouldn't buy a $6 cigar. I'd buy a $20 one, though. If people don't know anything about your product, they use price as a gauge of quality. I'm imagining you're introducing something new to these people. Bring passion and energy to your pitch.

Walk in like you're somebody of substance and simply ask to speak to the shop owner.

Compliment the shop, then simply ask, "Mr. Jones, when's the last time you had an opportunity to increase your margins and please your customers at the same time?"

Wait for the answer and then offer him one of your cigars.

>So if over the next two minutes, you were afforded the ability to carry these, do it at a price point that was agreeable, and found them to be of a quality worthy of your customers, you'd be open to doing business together, right?

It's a tie down at the end, let's you share a smoke with the guy (A social/bonding activity), and gives them a clear intent.

>>926032
People are emotional, anon. And buying, especially big ticket items, is always an emotional decision.

>> No.926097

>>926084
>I know that in sales you work for our own profit, but how do you (or your company) deal with people that just are "winging it"?
Not sure what you mean here. As in not following a process? I don't help those reps. I won't sit on their tables or close their deals because I don't know where they're at in the pitch.

If you mean just not reading anything more, not getting excited, or not powering through objections; then I can't help that person. Nobody can. I'm not going to waste my time trying to motivate someone that can't motivate themselves.

>> No.926140

>>926097
Thanks Fag, you got my question right. I wanted to know if it was possible to help her in any way, but I share the idea that if it doesn't come from her, it isn't gonna work anyway.

Can you give more tips on real estate? Prospecting, calls, mainly cold calls (for me they are the hardest to do), also, what are the main client's objections you (Fag) find in your work, and how do you deal with them?

>> No.926405

>>926140
>what are the main client's objections you (Fag) find in your work, and how do you deal with them?
Just got in. I'll type up something to cover objections in the morning, but the big ones (I work on in-house sales. I only sell to people that already own with us.) are:

>I want to think about it
>I don't want to spend any more money
>I'm happy with what I have
>I have to leave
>I'm getting rid of it

In sales that deal with new prospects you'll hear these:

>I need to think about it
>I don't have the money
>I don't need it
>I'm too old

I don't really listen to them anymore; once you've been in sales for a while, you don't care what they say in an objection. They're all handled the same. I'll go over how to do it tomorrow. I'm drunk and tired.

>> No.926718

>>926405
So you want to handle objections? Every objection is handled the same way except for "today/I want to think about it."

First thing to do upon hearing an objection is to not change your body language at all. Continue to be relaxed and composed. Then smile. Inform them that "I understand that Mr. Jones, which is exactly why..." You always smile, and you always understand. You don't know; you understand.

What this does is two fold. It validates their concern and shows that you care, but also turns the objection into a tie down, or reason to do it.

For instance...

>I can't afford this. It's too much money.
>I understand that, Mary. What you're saying is that this is affordable, but it might stretch you a bit more than you're comfortable with (Nobody likes to feel broke). But that's exactly why I feel this would be the best course for you. You already agreed that you're going to vacation, so your going to spend the money. And you shared with me that ownership made the most sense. If I thought this was an added debt to you, we wouldn't be having a conversation right now. But I want to share the opportunity for you to spend the money in a better fashion; because you are spending it.
>I really can't afford $500 a month
>I can appreciate that, so what you're saying is that the down is okay, but the monthly is too high, right?
>Yes
>Well if I could keep that down the same, but lower the monthly, is that something you'd like to see if I could help you with?
>Yes

Always get a commitment before lowering the price. Dropping the price is to help them get the product, not to help you get the sale. I'm imagining you want fun little one liners too, though, so here you go

(Cont.)

>> No.926727

>>926718
Today issue/I need to think
>Well this must not be a hard decision if you're able to make it in your sleep
>Sir, respectfully, time doesn't make this decision, facts do
>At $50,000 I'd need to think, too. That's why they'll let you come back at any time and do that. But if I could get $30,000 approved we'd need to move forward today.
>What do you need more time to think about? Saving money or improving your life?
>Let me see the ticket. What ticket? The lottery ticket. It's Saturday; that's the only way I see much changing between today and tomorrow.
>You're going to walk out this door and forget a ton of what we've spoken about. I'd prefer you make this choice with all the information possible, wouldn't you?

I'm too old
>Eunice, I've never seen a hearse towing a U-Haul
>Then enjoy it while you're here. If you're going to be morbid, so will II: You can't take it with you
>I understand. Think about what you'll be leaving to the kids.

We don't want to do it (When one clearly does)
>What? Is there a mouse in your pocket? Your wife wants this, man
>Sir, I want you to take your wallet out and hold it up in front of you. Now take your wife's hand and do the same. Good. Now I need you to drop whichever is less important to you.
>If you don't take her away, someone else will

>> No.926833

>>926727
If a salesman ever tried to pressure me with this bullshit, I'd get up and walk out.

Rest of the thread is great though.

>> No.926856

Where do I get cold calling lists???

>> No.926968
File: 26 KB, 306x307, 1411913778427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks for this mate

I have recently started work as a consultant where I have to upsell our services and I think this would be really beneficial to me because I'm more inclined to help the client than to sell them something.

>> No.927059

>>926833
Exactly. With no relationship to the salesperson, you'd be pissed. That's why you have to become a friend, a well liked person early on, so that you can smack them in the face later and not have them explode.

>>926856
No idea. I don't do cold calling. As I understand it, you can usually purchase them from marketing firms.

>> No.927762

>>926968
>I'm more inclined to help the client than to sell them something.
That's good. Just remember that no matter what you sell them, they're leaving better than they were. If you genuinely feel that you can help them, it will bleed through, and it'll help you get sales.

>> No.927763

Hey salesfag, I'm about to start selling in eastern Europe. People don't have a lot of sales experience nor culture so I think it's somewhat easier to sell. However, a big obstacle is that a lot of my future customers genuinely don't have enough disposable income to make these purchases. I have no moral qualms about selling to them, it's just that I might be wasting my time convincing a man that he really needs X just to find out that I have succeeded but he genuinely doesn't have the money. How do you deal with these people? Do you "do them a favour" and offer long term financing? Since I'll probably be selling <500$ products to people with little disposable income would it be a good strategy to base a pitch about how much their quality of life will improve for just 20$ a month at 24 months financing or something? I've also thought about pointing out product X in (american) pop culture they know so to get that association with "premium western brands".

>> No.927766

>>927763
I personally, and I know a lot of reps that share this sentiment, hate Euros. The techniques that work on Americans don't do so well with them. It's because they're generally used to haggling as it stands, but only when they genuinely want a product already. They want to go straight to the quick.

But yes, selling someone a monthly payment is always easier than a lump sum. It works because you can identify a cost they have normally and pitch a replacement. Then they don't have to want the product badly enough to spend $500, they just have to want it more than X. X generally, in America, being two fast food meals a week or a cup of coffee a day.

>> No.927781

>>927766
That's interesting, I didn't know that it was so different. I don't know how selling work in western Europe but I'm willing to bet that eastern Europe is just as different because of the historical influence of commie times. I'll have to research it more as I go through it.

You didn't answer my question though, what do you do if you get a person who can't buy or is very reluctant to buy due to low finances? I understand it might not apply here, but it'll give me a starting point.

>> No.927797

>>927781
>What do you do if you get a person who can't buy or is very reluctant to buy due to low finances?
There's a saying in sales. You can't fix two things: broke and stupid. If they legitimately can't afford it, that's game, man. But if you can get a deal to come down to money every time, then you're good. They need to want the product more than they want the money in their pocket. Like I said, it's better to parse it as an either or thing. What does your product do? They need a fear of loss. Our go to is usually, "Is that time with your family worth $150 a month? That's literally a cup of coffee a day. Would you rather take your children to Disney, or drink Dunkin?"

>> No.928707

>>925551
>They were on the moe archive, which I've just learned went down. So unless someone screencapped them, they're gone.
FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKK
I was gonna do exactly that
;_;

>> No.928719

>>927766
>It's because they're generally used to haggling as it stands, but only when they genuinely want a product already.
How so?
Also, I've been using some of your suggestions to help teach my class (High School).
Keep it up.

>> No.928739

Screenshotted all the good info in this thread, will make aa single image out of it when I have some time and share here

>> No.929150

>>928739
Super awesome! Thank you

>> No.929239

>>928707
>>928739
>hxxps://warosu.org/biz/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=Sales+and+Bread&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
Found 'em

>> No.929768

>>929239
link?

>> No.929827

Alright so I'm going to be pitching local businesses to design them a website. I'd like to make $500 per site at minimum but $1000 would be preferable.

Would it make more sense to do it by phone or phone them first and then meet in person?

I have a portfolio of sites to show them. And I do really quality work that I'm sure will increase the amount of customers they have and improve their branding.

I'll definitely be implementing the words you used in your first post as well as the tricks like saying I only have 2 minutes. To address cost should I equate it to how much they'd pay an employee for 1 week? I don't really know their average profits per day or anything.

Any help or script ideas I'd really appreciate. Also if I went after businesses with garbage looking websites would fear be effective by comparing them to their competitor's slicker sites?

>> No.930875

bump

>> No.931057

>>929827
I too am going to be using this thread to sell websites but I'm going for the 2500 - 5000 range.

>> No.931144

>>929827
OP I'm doing the same thing except I'm selling a product to dive shops - I've done okay in person, with just going to them and asking if they have my product ( either they look for it, or say no - then I put my pitch on)

if they have a competitors version of my product I just simply say I can beat them on price.

Thanks for the thread OP. I'm trying to sharpen my sales skills...because lets be real - everything in life is sales.

>> No.931181

>>929827
>tricks like saying I only have 2 minutes. To address cost should I equate it to how much they'd pay an employee for 1 week? I don't really know their average profits per day or anything.
The emotive words will help a bit, but the other stuff isn't really going to come in that handy. In B2B, they just don't want to talk at all. And as far as money is concerned, they have it. But no business is going to spend money without a clear benefit. You need to make sure that they understand the benefit you're selling.

With businesses, you would be better off assuming they have the money and are willing to spend it. The real issue you're going to run into is that the person in charge of it literally doesn't give a shit. Your opening question is going to be most important.

Qualify your prospect and think about what they're concerned with.

>Do you want a better website?
No. Don't care.

>Mr. Black, if I could share a way to increase sales of X between 10% and 18% with you, when would you be free to talk?

They're going to think for a while. It makes you want to ask questions.

>> No.931907

>>931181
I'll bump your thread, I really enjoy reading your shit. Thanks for sharing this shit with us.

Oh yeah, when you say 12k per month, is that pre tax? How much is total tax anyways on 150k a year?

>> No.932449

>>931907
I'd like to know this as well...

Also if you're making 12k a month selling time shares about how many sales are you closing a month to make that?

>> No.932760

>>931907
Pre tax. And our taxes end up being complicated as fuck due to the pay plan. I'd be lying if I said I understand how it all works. We're paid a minimum wage "draw" that we pay back out of our commissions. We're taxed on that. Then weekly commission checks come in for sales. Those range anywhere between a few hundred dollars and about $2,000. Bonus checks are where the money is. They're paid for the month previous and range from $500 at the lowest to the largest I've received at $18,000. Biggest I've actually seen was $45,000. Trainer has seen one for $92,000 (I heard the same story from another rep from that site unprompted, so I believe it.) Those things bump you into a different tax bracket. We literally don't know what taxes are going to be until the end of the year. I need to look into getting an accountant. We also have something called a true up. Nobody really understands it, but all the good reps get a check for around $5,000 once a year, so we don't complain.

But they tax you at a rate that assumes you do that every month. Our returns are huge come tax time because if you leave the company to estimate, you overpay like a cunt. I'm going to start doing quarterly estimates for just that reason. There was one rep making around a half million. He would just not pay taxes then settle with the IRS for less than originally owed every year.

For this year so far, I've paid around $25,000 in total taxes last I checked.

>> No.932763

>>932449
>how many sales are you closing a month to make that?
Depends. If the tour came in under my name (It was assigned to me from the get go), I get paid on 100% of the volume. If it came in to someone else, but I close it, I get paid on 30% of the volume.

E.g. Mr. Jones is assigned to me. I sell him a $20,000 deal. I get $20,000 counted towards my monthly total.

Mr. Smith comes in and is assigned to Tim. I close the deal. It's $35,000. I get $10,500 counted towards my monthly total. Tim gets the rest.

I generally write a few $25,000 deals in my name, close some small shit, but if anything that has the potential to be over $30,000 comes in to my team, I'm put on it. I write around $150,000 a month give or take $25,000.

>> No.932935
File: 105 KB, 460x690, tumblr_n4jkipcQ4p1qc1ogno1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>923774
OP any suggestion on how to start selling insurances without refferrals.
im going to start working with AXA but they ask me for a list of 200 referrals, wich i dont have,(recently moved to another city), so how can i start without any refferals and start selling?

>> No.932967

>>932935
Buy referrals from another company. My best friend works for AXA. What region are you in?

>> No.932977

I have been offered to sell life insurance in Yurop to friend neighbors etc. How much of a scam is this?

>> No.932985

>>923774

>successful commercial real estate broker in ny
>still apply to wage cuck jobs for the mental masturbation and to work on interviewing skills

never stagnate.

>> No.933015

>>923774
I'm a charter school supervisor in charge of purchasing supplies and I get calls from jack holes all day trying to sell me stuff.

you are a pen salesman.

How would you sell me some pens, fag?

>> No.933016

>>932760
Do you receive a W-2 for everything, or do you receive a 1099-MISC also for when you file your taxes? (Did you fill out a W-4 saying you claim Single 0/1?) What are your typical business expenses?

>>932760
>He would just not pay taxes then settle with the IRS for less than originally owed every year.
He was lying to some extent. The IRS won't negotiate with you every single year, and if they do, it means you're already a chump that owed them a massive amount of money back in the day and you're just adding this year's taxes onto the back amount owed. While the interest rate isn't bad, the penalties make this stupid, and the IRS won't do repeated offers in compromise year after year or let you get away with things if you owe over a certain amount... he's probably just literally not paying them and thinking he's coming out ahead because he doesn't know the grand total of the bill. Don't take this guy's advice on very much, he's getting chumped as much as the IRS is (if he is really getting out of things, then he's on the verge of bankruptcy and living check to check anyways with no assets).

>> No.933062

>>932977
Not much as long as you're selling term.

>>932985
Good advice

>>933015
Give me a minute, but honestly I'd try and appeal to your ego.

>>933016
W2. I'm not a contractor; I'm an honest to god employee. I know a ton of other people in the industry that are contractors, though.

>> No.934500

Bump.

>> No.934931

>>933062
How many people seen get fired? Also, is this your first sales gig? From my reading it seems like it typically takes some people a few tries at multiple sales jobs before they get one that works for them.

>> No.934942

>>923774

Car sales fag here. I sold 1.5 cars this month and I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I don't follow a process which is likely a big part of it, I also don't create a sense of urgency in my customers because I'm afraid they'll feel pressured and complain about me. I think I just answered my own question but I really need to vent to someone. I suck at this and it's hard seeing friends making 3K a week. If there's any other car salesman itt, what kind of process do you use and how does it work for you?

>> No.934977

>>934931
>How many people seen get fired?
None. It doesn't happen like in the movies. One day somebody just isn't there anymore.

>Also, is this your first sales gig?
Yeah. But I've always excelled at marketing ideas and speaking to crowds. One on one conversation was difficult at first, though.

>>934942
You know exactly what it is you're doing wrong. You need a process, and you need to genuinely care about the client. You probably have commission breath, anon.

>> No.935213

>>934942
>I also don't create a sense of urgency in my customers because I'm afraid they'll feel pressured and complain about me
I overlooked this, but it's bad, anon. Are you one of those no pressure, pussy dealerships? Because if so, okay. If you're not, then pressure away. If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll be the nicest salesperson they've never bought anything from, and it'll be reflected in your paycheck.

The resistance to pressure is a resistance to selling. It's not because you think the client will complain about you; it's because you're afraid they'll say no. What you need to understand is that every time you get rejected as a salesperson, the client isn't rejecting you as a person, just the offer you're presenting. So you can always come back with a new offer. They are not saying no to you, but rather to the current proposal.

>> No.935248

>>935213

Well put, if you don't mind I've been taking notes throughout this thread. I've lost a lot of confidence lately.

>> No.935249

>>935213
>Are you one of those no pressure, pussy dealerships?

No, I work for Dodge and it's the furthest thing from a pussy dealership. My coworkers wack customers all the time, and it gets kinda hectic when they try to trade out of their vehicles.

>> No.935829
File: 97 KB, 540x960, 1381237_10153308907827571_3141204922763145205_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>923774
Hey Biz Bro,

I'm trying to get in front of dentists to pitch web design and ppc, but cannot drum up a good email to get a response. Any go to introductions you have in your canned responses?

>> No.935845

>>935249
>My coworkers wack customers all the time
Then you should do it too, anon. They're doing it because it works.

>>935829
Why are you trying to pitch them web design? (I'm not being a dick; humor me)

>> No.935995

>>935845
it's typically a quick sell and they have a large budget most times. The marketing budget of an office directly correlates to their revenue and new client acquisition. We offer PPC and site design because there's no point of advertising when your site is shit

>> No.936030

I make referrals to sell credit cards. I make a good amount of referrals but I'd like to increase the quality of them. The less a person needs credit the better of a referral they typically are. How do I sell a couple thousand of credit to someone who has twice that in savings?

>> No.936045

>>935995
That's all great for you. Why are you selling dentists these services? (I'm making a point that you'll get in a second)

>>936030
>How do I sell a couple thousand of credit to someone who has twice that in savings?
What's the biggest benefit of your card?

>> No.936052

>>936045
They have an immediate need, are typically illiterate in the these subjects, it holds true value in money and time. One of our partners open 5 dental offices with this stuff so we have a unique expertise in this niche. I'd sell to dental inbetween navigating larger deals 15k and up for app dev. Dentists are quick and easy and when done right is a replicable process

>> No.936060

>>936045
We offer all the cards, reward points, cash back, low interest. There's also protection from unauthorized charges.

>> No.936061

>>936052
Have you worked with others in the medical profession. Like Psychotherapists etc?

>> No.936079

>>936061
nope

>> No.936080

>>936052
I don't want to spoon feed you, anon, but I will. Why should a dentist purchase your services?

>>936060
Be more specific. The old threads an anon linked in here actually have some stuff on selling credit cards in them, but it's a simple pitch.

>> No.936139

>>936080
all I asked you was if you had any good intro templates I have no problem talking benefits with the dentists. It's hard to get in front of them because they are often with patients.

>> No.936164

>>936139
I'm not trying to be a dick. I wanted to organically see what the biggest benefit to these guys is. You have to break the preoccupation that they have, and the best way to do that is to mention something important to them. Just like the anon I spoke with earlier in the thread. Nobody gives a shit about a website if they don't realize what that means for them.

A lot of people take knowledge for granted. If you come in and tell me my website needs better SEO, I really don't know what you're talking about or care. Come in and say something to the effect of...

>Dr. Faggot, did you know that if I Google "dentists in Johnstown," you're on the second page of results. If I could share a way to make you the number one result and drive 20% more business to your office, when would be a good time for us to sit down for 5 minutes?

And I'm inclined to listen. You're essentially blindsiding them, and then assuming the close. I don't ask if they'd like to talk, I ask when. If they hit you with, "I don't care/I don't have time," reply with...

>And Dr. Faggot, that's exactly why we need to talk.

They'll be visibly puzzled. Everyone always is.

>... Because if you truly understood just how valuable this could be too your company, you'd be asking when I was free.

>> No.936170
File: 126 KB, 1200x819, kek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

jesus these marketing people really have low iq, just like AP.

go to uni marketing major class you will meet most retarded people ever

>> No.936175

>>936170
Lolwut

>> No.936184

>>936164
Thanks for the tips but I understand those concepts. I sell based on value Im just curious if you have any go tos for intro emails
I aim to shoot a 100 emails and don't have time to hand type an email based on each website. I reserve that for higher value clients.
Just for perspective I'm not some schmuck selling insurance this is for a creative firm and I have several years under my belt of technical and enterprise sales

>> No.936202

>>936184
If it were me, I'd call.

But you can also go old school and ask some clients for letters. Offer to write it for them, and have them sign their name. Include two as an attachment.

Word it in a fashion that counters your most common objections before they ever come up. But I'm totally against email for this. I'd honestly feel better about culling the bottom half of my list and taking the time to actually call these guys. It shows you care and offers a level of engagement that email can't come close to. Sending an email gives them way too much power. No reason you can't do both, though.

>> No.936205

>>936202
Calling is often a zero sum game. The dentist is the DM and my window of opportunity to get him on the phone is between 8and9am otherwise its just dreaded gate keepers im talking to

>> No.936215

>>936170
That's cause most people in marketing university classes are blonde females that want to do PR for an edgy coffee shop or fair trade clothing company or some shit.

Marketing & sales is one of the many professions that's best learned on your own (similar to programming, general business, art, etc) which is why 80% of the students studying those fields are just in college to fuck.

>> No.936218

>>936205
Is your area too broad to actually show up at the offices?

>> No.936459

Do these tactics work OUTSIDE of America?
Or is it really just honed for clients in the US?

>> No.936623

>>936459
They can, but it's mostly geared towards American culture. Different sensibilities react to it differently. I know myself and most of my coworkers dislike having to try and sell a European or Indian client. But that's mostly due to our product. I've never tried selling them anything else. So go for it, but your mileage may vary.

>> No.936631

>>936623
Ever tried them with Mexican, Latinamerican clients? Do they work the same way?

>> No.936636

>>936631
I do well with Latin tours because I speak Spanish and most of them are very Americanized. Fresh off the boat or first generations that don't want to assimilate are the tough ones.

>> No.936687

>>936636
Why are they tougher? Are they more "sensitive" to direct style? How do you deal with them?

>> No.936730

>>936218
I can show up but only within a certain time frame to be productive hence why I'm trying out the predictable revenue model and social selling

>> No.936738

is op a shill

>> No.936763

>>936738
yes everything in the world is a shill, and also jewish

>> No.936789

>>936687
They don't trust you as a general rule. And they're very scared of doing anything that might jeopardize them financially.

>>936730
I think you have a fairly good handle on it. It's difficult to make an email stand out without being corny.

Might be my last post for a while, guys. Heading to some fancy rehab place for 28 days in lieu of jail. Don't think I can have my phone. I'll be here for another hour or so.

>> No.937004

before you go bruh what are your favorite biz books

>> No.937036

>>937004
Liar's Poker, Art of Persuasion, anything by Brian Tracy. Just read anything you can at any time. A well rounded library is best.

Twenty minutes away from this joke of a place. I'll be shitposting a month from now.

>> No.937188

Can someone please archive or screencap this thread?
Total N00b here, no idea on how to do it, if not, I would gladly.

>> No.937190

Also, Godspeed Some Fag!
May you rehab successfully and come back soon to share more Sales and Bread.

>> No.937520

>>923774

"I want to think about it"

"I have to talk to my wife"