[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 804 KB, 942x886, divorce.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9036196 No.9036196 [Reply] [Original]

What financial advice would /biz/ give this soon to be divorcee?

>Dear Moneyist,
>Before I married my wife two years ago, she had huge amounts of debt to her name, including large amounts of student loans. After we married, we diligently almost paid everything off, helped by my salary being three times that of my wife.
>She recently asked for a divorce, saying she was taking the house and my retirement. My question is: Does the fact we paid off her debts she held before get spread evenly? Had I not paid all of her debts our net worth would be near the same with a better outcome for me.
>We’ve only been married a few years, and frankly I can’t help feeling taken advantage of. The only advice I can find discusses whose responsibility the student loans would be, but now it just seems that she got me to pay all of her debts, and got some new stuff, while I threw away years of my life.
>Please tell me there’s hope.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/E3D51E72-44DC-11E8-98DF-1344D9AEADEF

>> No.9036223

>>9036196
>but now it just seems that she got me to pay all of her debts, and got some new stuff, while I threw away years of my life.

hey thats like my relationship with amazon. a year later im thousands down the drain on that whore and i regret buying almost every item.

>> No.9036246

>>9036196
is this the textbook definition of "beta bucks"

how does one be a chad with money in regards to women

>> No.9036268

>>9036246
Only marry woman as successful as you I guess

>> No.9036278

>>9036268
>successful
he fell for the golddigger meme

>> No.9036304

>>9036246
date only rich girls
separate finances otherwise - multiple accounts and keep your money a secret

>> No.9036306

>>9036196
As a law student my advice is to hire normal lawyer.

>> No.9036322
File: 168 KB, 1000x625, day of the rope uprising.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kill her

>> No.9036326

Or just hire murderer in dark web both of them are cheap

>> No.9036357

>>9036196
>What financial advice would /biz/ give this soon to be divorcee?
1. buy a time machine
2. don't get married

I'm debt free, and there's no way in hell I'm ever going to marry a serf.

>> No.9036376

>>9036196
>She recently asked for a divorce, saying she was taking the house and my retirement
Obviously each jurisdiction is different and there is a lot of details I would need to know to give a proper answer, but(assuming no children) she most likely wouldn't outright get the house. Worse case scenario they would split any equity that was accrued during their short marriage. As for the retirement, she would most likely only get half of a couple years worth since that is how long they were married. For instance if they were married two years, she would get half of two years and so on. His situation isn't as bad as he thinks, but he is assed out on that money spent paying down her debt. He should be thankful it ended sooner rather than later, it's going to save him a ton in long run since alimony won't be much of an issue and she won't get much of his retirement. He just needs a decent lawyer and he'll be fine.