[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 48 KB, 888x504, MBA-salary-expectations.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
901147 No.901147 [Reply] [Original]

I heard that getting a Masters degree is a bad idea unless you can't find a job. Like, it is better to get a Bachelors and work for a month in finance. Than to spend two years learning about Finance with a Masters degree. At the same time I heard that you need to be an MBA to be taken seriously.

What is the truth?

>> No.901152

Obviously MBA is the better route, you get paid more for having more education, and some places REQUIRE you to get an MBA to work at certain positions or you don't even get hired, also an MBA is great for IBanking, so just get an MBA, even if it takes 2 years, because 2 years is nothing.

>> No.901193

I would say the better wisdom is make sure you have an MBA path.

Graduate degrees have become notorious for people hiding from the job market or assuming having the degree will make them a powerhouse for some unknown job down the road. By all means, it's true some jobs require it, but alot of the jobs that require it also require experiance. Sometimes alot. I know plenty of people who got an MBA right out if college and were then shocked it did not make them an instant superstar when they got stuck in the same accounting job they would have gotten without it.

The most sucessfull MBAs I know got some experiance first, then got the MBA once they had a path within a company that the MBA would enhance.

>> No.901199

An undergrad is no different than a high school diploma these days. You need experience and references. If you don't have either by the time you graduate, then you're a fucking moron. If you think your school's rank or your GPA matters, you're a fucking retard. The only time this rule is excluded is when you're going to University for some grad program like law or medicine. And the only time someone should get a MBA is when the company they work for wants them to.

>> No.901225
File: 46 KB, 600x600, 1442872305746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>901147
Silly anon-kun, why the fuck would anyone take you seriously if you don't have an MBA with at least two projects under your belt?

>> No.901235

What are /biz/ thoughts on a Masters in International Business and Modern Languages seems decent enough but I'm worried about prospects after graduating

>> No.901252

>>901147
Your image shows that people with MBA's earn 100% more than people without them. That's quite a good ROI, no?

Everyone likes to shit on MBAs because the people with MBAs don't want their career fields to become flooded. That's just like when you read NYT articles about college not being worth it when the author is a 55 year old man with a bachelor's, and his editor is a 65 year old man with a master's.

The key is not to go to any mcMBA program. The reputation of the university and connections you'll make matter.

> I know plenty of people who got an MBA right out if college and were then shocked it did not make them an instant superstar when they got stuck in the same accounting job they would have gotten without it.

> Implying you get an MBA to be an accountant.
> Implying there are job postings that don't read "5 years of accounting experience, CPA, and master's degree required."

>> No.901300

>>901252
>this
You aren't shit in accounting without your CPA

>> No.901316

>>901300

Soon a CPA won't mean fuck all as well, you have to constantly go further and further until there's no school left, then go and get experience.

Basically it's simple, the more you input into your career and your qualifications, the more that the world will output to you in terms of job prospects and money.

So just keep going further and further, and you'll be rewarded better and better as life goes on and on.

>> No.901322
File: 16 KB, 320x371, triggered.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>901193
>experiance

>experiance

with that out of the way I do agree. So many people think they need to instantly jump to MBA... work experience is worth a lot especially once you get over the new grad hump to ~3 years

>> No.901324

>>901147
oldfag here (32)...

Here's what a lot of people tend to forget: When life happens and you decide to maybe start a family, buy a house, whatever, then you lose the ability to just go to school full time.

> But night school

If you're going to a school that can be done at night you are probably wasting your time. That's not to mention that you have to fit this inbetween working until 6pm, attending whatever is going on in your kids' lives at the time, etc.

The opportune time to attend school is when you have no other responsibilities as a young 20-something. Yes, you may not see the IMMEDIATE payoff, but when you hit your 30s you will most likely be in a much better place with an MBA than without.

>> No.901350

>>901316
>Soon a CPA won't mean fuck all as well, you have to constantly go further and further until there's no school left, then go and get experience.
Lol what?

>> No.901353

I can't believe we still get topics about this topic.

You're subject doesn't matter at all. I'd rather do art history at Harvard than mathematics at podunk state. Also what is with the huge amount of people on biz who think a Finance degree is worthwhile??? 95 % of finance companies take people with any degree. And even though I said your degree doesn't matter (on paper it doesn't), in practice taking respected subjects will improve your chances for almost any job. Respected: maths, hard sciences, hard engineering (chemical / mechanical / electronic / civil), philosophy.

Also the only use for an MBA is to change careers. If you actually think you will learn useful stuff from it, you're a dope. Everyone with a Harvard MBA knows that they learnt shit, they just did it for the connections and the career opportunities. Also there's nothing wrong with getting a masters (or even a PhD) degree, all it does is delay you. No, you're not going to be "overqualified", you can just apply to the same jobs as undergrads.

Also worthwhile MBAs will ONLY accept you if you've already had great work experience. If they let anyone in, it's a big red flag

>> No.901551

>>901353
Dude you are talking out of your ass so much and its so obvious.
>finance companies dont care what your degree is

Lol what? Outside of loan or insurance sales this is complete BS.

>> No.901607

>>901551
Yeah, this.

> Mergers and acquisitions = finance
> wealth management = "finance"

Yes, 90% of "financial" firms will accept anybody.
It's the 10% that :don't: that actually matter

>> No.901696

nice answers

>> No.901700

>>901353

> Respected: maths, hard sciences, hard engineering (chemical / mechanical / electronic / civil), philosophy.

>implying philosophy is respected

>implying civil engineering is hard engineering