[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 7 KB, 149x178, Nwabudike_Morgan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
881574 No.881574 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /biz/, I’m currently saving £0/month, hoping for some advice on how to earn more and/or spend less.

Income:

~£1.9k/month from engineering job.
~£150/month from part-time tutoring. (only available for about two-thirds of the year).

total: ~£2k/month

Spending:
~£600/month on rent and council tax (this pays for all utilities including internet; can't get anything cheaper without giving up my five-minute commute and/or getting a flatmate, neither of which are things I want to do).
~£850/month on charitable donations. (Usually the Schistosomiasis Control Institute)
~£300/month on groceries (I cook my own meals, don't eat meat, and only get takeout about once a week, but somehow it always ends up costing about this much. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?)
~£60/month on travel (mostly getting to and from London on weekends, which is where all the interesting stuff happens and also where my tutoring job is. YES, I already have a railcard.)
~£40/month on gym membership (I pay month-by-month and do my best to use it every day).
~£150/month on Other: new clothes, railcard renewal, books, birthday and Christmas presents for family, dentistry, trips back home, bike repair, etc.

Total: ~£2k/month

Any ideas?

>> No.881584

This is bait. You want us to say "When you're only making 24k a year, giving 40% of your income to charity is idiotic. You need that to survive, you fucking dope."

But we're not gonna say that, because this is clearly bait.

>> No.881586

have you tried sucking dicks? i heard the Schistosomiasis Control Institute have alot of customers there.

>> No.881596

>>881584
Actually, what I want is for people to help me save. That said, people getting buttmad and insisting I'm baiting them would be a nice consolation prize.

For what it's worth, I do NOT need 24k/year to survive. If I did, then how would people who live on minumum wage not be dead yet?

>>881586

Prostitution is illegal in Britain, and there are enough gay men who'd do it for free. That doesn't look like a good investment.

>> No.881609

>>881574
Drop the charitable donations to ~£200 and save the other 650. Boom done.

>> No.881617

>>881609
No.

>> No.881620

>>881617
Well that's our advice. Take it or get the fuck out.

>> No.881633

>>881617
That's really your only viable option or get a raise or better job.

>> No.881640

>>881596
>Actually, what I want is for people to help me save

If you want to save, start by not donating to a charity for niggers?

That's nearly half your monthly expenses, there's nothing you could save on that would make more of a difference than that.

>> No.881646

>>881640
Yes, but if I cut my deworming budget there will be more children with worms in them. Whereas if I cut my grocery budget by £100/month, I'd get to save £50/month (£50 would go to deworming).

>CAPTCHA: "Select all the food".

>> No.881651

>>881646
>Yes, but if I cut my deworming budget there will be more children with worms in them

I doubt your 850 poorcuckbucks per month will make a significant difference.

The organization probably spends most of the money on "business expenses" and uses <10% for actual causes.

Anyways, why is it your problem to worry about some faggots in a shithole African country?

If every single nigger in Africa died tomorrow it wouldn't change my life at all, in fact it could only improve it.

>> No.881653

>>881633
>That's really your only viable option
There are, empirically, people who live on the minimum wage. I'm not spending as much as them on non-charity things. Therefore, it ought to be possible for me to spend less. QED.

>get a raise or better job.
I'd like to, but I'm barely a year out of college and already being paid this much (note: all figures are after tax). It doesn't seem feasible. That said, I'd be interested in hearing how you think I could do this.

>> No.881657

>>881653
>>881646
It isn't viable.

You could cut your food down by 100 but that seems pointless when you are wasting all that money on charities. 10% for charitable donations is a good goal for you at this point. not nearly 50%.

>> No.881658

>>881651

>I doubt your 850 poorcuckbucks per month will make a significant difference.

Excuse me, I'm British. The appropriate terminology is poorcuckPOUNDS.

>The organization probably spends most of the money on "business expenses" and uses <10% for actual causes.

They've been evaluated by orginisations I trust. That said, if you think there are better charities, I'm all ears.

>Anyways, why is it your problem to worry about some faggots in a shithole African country?

It is bad for children to be infested with worms.

>If every single nigger in Africa died tomorrow it wouldn't change my life at all, in fact it could only improve it.

But who would you have to look down on?

>> No.881661

>>881658
Yes, people with worms is horrible. Seriously you should look for local charities first help you community.

>> No.881662

>>881658
>They've been evaluated by organizations I trust. That said, if you think there are better charities, I'm all ears.

No better chairites. Because there are NO HANDOUTS IN LIFE.

>It is bad for children to be infested with worms.
Maybe, but do you know how much money has been poured into African countries?

I remember when i was in either grade 1 or 2 and they were raising money for African children, for whatever bullshit reason it was, and they're STILL raising money for African children. You're throwing your money down the toilet, I'd appreciate it if you gave me those 850 britcuck pounds instead.

>But who would you have to look down on?
I don't look down on them, I just don't care for them.

>> No.881665

>>881657

>You could cut your food down by 100

Tell me how.

>but that seems pointless

It isn't.

>10% for charitable donations is a good goal for you at this point. not nearly 50%.

Don't worry about me. My parents gave me a bunch of money when I graduated college, so there's no way donating is going to leave me in the lurch if I need cash urgently.

And I'll stop if it starts to hurt. But it's not hurting yet.

>> No.881673

>>881665
>And I'll stop if it starts to hurt. But it's not hurting yet.

You're saving $0 each month. How on earth is that "not hurting" "yet"?

Just stop giving money to a bunch of faggots who are buying yachts and traveling under the guise of helping niggers.

#BlackLivesDontMatter

>> No.881676

>>881662
>No better chairites. Because there are NO HANDOUTS IN LIFE.

The fact that I'm giving them seems to be a counterexample to your thesis.

>I remember when i was in either grade 1 or 2 and they were raising money for African children, for whatever bullshit reason it was, and they're STILL raising money for African children.

You're wrong. It's getting better. The number of people in the lowest income bracket - both absolute and as a percentage of the world population - has been steadily falling over the past few decades. That's why I'm doing this now, instead of misering away all my money and donating it on my deathbed: thirty years gone, the worst and most tractable problems will probably already be fixed.

>> No.881680

>>881665
You really need to worry about yourself and your future at the moment. You are saving no money right which will hurt you in the long run.

Like I said somewhere else there is no problem giving 10% of your earnings to charity right now. Any more than that in your current situation is just hurting you.

Once you have either a much better paying job, probably in 5 to 10 years, or enough passive income from investments you made through your saving, probably still another 5 to 10 years, then you can start giving more.

>> No.881682

>>881661
My money can go a lot further overseas. £1 can give someone a vaccine there or a Toblerone here.

I do actually sympathise with your viewpoint - I sometimes indulge in going to a big city and handing out socks to homeless people - but I think the best thing to do is to mostly do the most efficient thing.

Also, my community is a tiny town where basically everyone is a rich retiree. Not much to fix.

>> No.881690

>>881682
>£1 can give someone a vaccine there or a Toblerone here.

No it can't.

That's just a scam by the people who run the charity to entice you to donate more.

What about planetickets for doctors? What about making the vaccine in a corrupt shithole where people get killed over $20 regularly?

Can you just donate the money to me? I'll put your hard-earned money to much better use than a bunch of shitskins who will probably die from ebola before they turn 20.

>> No.881693

>>881680
>You are saving no money right which will hurt you in the long run.

Can you provide a mechanism for this?

If there were an investment opportunity (studying something lucrative somewhere inexpensive?) that would get me a good enough return, I'd funnel my donations into that and pay the infested children back later. But as far as I can tell, there isn't.

I already have £20k of my parents' money sitting in index funds, untouched. I don't need a bigger safety net.

>> No.881698

>poor Africans stop dying
>Earth's population explodes
>competition for resources skyrockets
>poor just get poorer, but we wont let them die.
>they just get more miserable.
>this guy thinks he's helping
>215 years after Malthus

That is, if any of your money even winds up in Africa

>> No.881702

>>881690
>No it can't.
I'm under no illusions. The price to save a life (or make a dozen significantly better), even in the worst-off places, is something like £2k, and that has wide error bars. Worst-case scenario, call it £10k. And mainstream charities will be worse value for money.

But even if it were £10k/life, that would be a price worth paying. A year of slightly less luxury for me, vs about fifty years of not-being-dead for someone else . . . that's not even a question, really.

>Can you just donate the money to me?

Sorry. I've been reliably informed that there are NO HANDOUTS IN LIFE.

>> No.881704

>>881698
>African immigration skyrockets even higher than it currently is
>Violent crime and theft increases 10fold
>Every major city resembles Ferguson protests... during the daytime
>Mandatory whites-only 80% income tax to pay for all the new dindus' gibemedats
>If you don't apologize for slavery upon encountering a black person you are immediately reported for a hatecrime
>All major Universities and libraries are torn down and replaced with"black-history" figures such as 50 Cent, Lil Mook and Chief Keef

le fixed for u

>> No.881706

>>881702
ok have fun lol

>> No.881708

>>881704

Fucken lold

>> No.881709

>>881698
>the my-children-will-probably-die-better-have-a-whole-bunch-to-even-the-odds switch in their heads flips to OFF
>Earth's population implodes.
>competition for resources decreases.
>the poor get richer, begin to truly live
>they just get happier
>environment is saved, humans are saved
>this guy thinks I'm not helping
>215 years after Malthus and the world's population still hasn't fallen prey to a Malthusian trap.

That said, that doesn't change the donation reasoning one bit. If I thought like you did, I'd budget the same way, but give my £850 to sterilisation and contraception subsidies instead of deworming.

>> No.881711

>>881704
Why wouldn't you just build a wall?

>CAPTCHA: "Select all the food"; only food is KFC.

>> No.881717

>>881574
Obviously you need to give more to charity to make karma kick in faster. How did you even graduate engineering school?

>> No.881718

So what are you asking us then, OP?

You don't want to save at all, you just want to maximize your donation to this charity.

If that's the case, apply for as many credit cards as you can, donate to the max extent of each card, and then off yourself so we won't see your bitchy posts anymore.