[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 34 KB, 430x290, 1522320758495.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8795137 No.8795137 [Reply] [Original]

For the ppl working in their PhD: Do you like it? Right now I have a job I hate and I am sure that I can't do that for the rest of my life.

I have an offer for a PhD position at a good uni. Con is that I don't know too much about the subject of the department right now (am mathematician, mentor would be engineering, subject a lot of machine learning stuff and blockchain, which I find interesting.

Would you go for a PhD again? I like learning new shit.

I also own REQ so maybe idgaf soon.

>> No.8795164

>>8795137
I like it. Go for it. Will you get a grant?

>> No.8795184

>>8795137
In my 2nd year, astrophysics. I kinda like it but wish I had more free time.

>> No.8795195

I don't think so, in germany it is usual to work at the institute so I get paid okayish for the time working on my PhD. I will have to teach a bit, tho.

>> No.8795209

>>8795164

Was meant to quote this. Also: Thanks!

>> No.8795219

I’m not working on a PhD because I work at Burger King, but I don’t like it

>> No.8795254

I'm not working on a PhD because I realize the entire educational system is monetarily inflated because every fatty with a 2.4 GPA can go.

Maybe I'd go if I was a millionaire but then I'd be going to Stanford of Harvard or Oxford or something.

>> No.8795263

>>8795137
I don't like it, mainly because of general depression, lack of self-discipline and lack of appealing future career options (making the whole thing seem pointless). I quite liked it in the beginning, but the initial enthusiasm has worn off by now and I don't care anymore. If you find the topic interesting and you have the discipline to work hard without structure being imposed on you externally, then you'll probably like it.

>> No.8795296

>>8795195
Well, that's why I meant by 'getting a grant.'
It's the same here in the US, you get paid to get a PhD but you work as a teaching or research assistant. I say go for it, it's a lot of hard work but it's fun and you get to research whatever the you want.

>> No.8795342

>>8795263
Starting a PhD this year, and I already feel this way. Glad I have investments and personal connections for a 6-figure job once im out.

>> No.8795405

I'd probably go for a PhD if it's STEM, like in OP's case.
In my case this would have been an Arts degree, which is kind of pointless, because one can flip burgers (or coins and tokens, for that matter) without one.

>> No.8795484

>>8795405
I thought it's the other way around, arts people tend to go for PhDs so they can teach or stay in uni more comfortably

STEM guys don't really need it, it's more like the cherry on the cake but the cake is fine by itself too
t. engineer thinking of doing a PhD but I don't really need to, so I'm not sure

>> No.8795590

>>8795484
Academic job market is completely fucked. No one should get an arts PhD for career reasons. I have an arts PhD, decent publications and stellar teaching evaluations, but no permanent job. Have skipped from contract to contract for several years. Have heard it said odds of getting tenured professorship about on a par with making it as a professional musician.

Still, yes, I fucking love my job. Students can be fucking idiots and pressures can get to me, but I've worked at some of the best universities in the world and never clock-watched.